Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This week’s PB/Polling Matters podcast looks at Theresa May’s

Comments

• Options
    felix said:

isam said:

felix said:

Patrick said:

rcs1000 said:

Or she has already been told by credible sources that there is no room for maneuver of freedom of movement, and the EU would rather have no deal than any deal which compromises it.

There appears to be a lot of wishful thinking from Remainers that the EU is not going to be obstinate and dogmatic in the teeth of forty years of experience. I would bet they have basically told us to piss off behind closed doors, and Eurocrat posturing and Tezzies speechifying are the public face of that reality.

I think Mrs May has been tactically very astute. She has plenty of room to co-operate more deeply (ESA, Erasmus, etc.) and contribute on a case by case basis. She's offered something that the EU clearly wants (tariff free goods and services).

She has plenty of room to offer more to the EU, but by making it clear she doesn't *need* more than [x], her bargaining power is increased.

The danger to her - and Brexit - is that the UK economy is dangerously unbalanced. It's genuinely scary that our trade balance has markedly worsened despite a significant devaluation in the pound. The rise in the price of oil and commodities means this is likely to continue this year. Our savings rate is at a 50 year low (excepting the 18 months before the Global Financial Crisis). Unsecured borrowing is growing at an 11% annual rate (that's more than 3x faster than incomes, and is the fastest it's ever grown in real terms). Every measure on the UK economy is flashing red, but to raise rates would risk tipping the economy into recession. So we choose instead to let the economy become more and more unbalanced.
    Hammond should push to have interest rates raised. He can't directly control the BoE. But he does directly control NS&I. He shoukld force them to offer notably less shitty rates on their savings products.

Higher prices plus higher mortgage payments. Interesting.

You forgot higher rates for the savers - the majority who provide the funds for mortgages. Many people have benefited from low rates for many years now.
    It would be interesting to see breakdown by economic bracket of the pensioners who voted Leave... I don't think they are all the retired businessman dividing their time between the golf club and the holiday home that Southam is trying to portray
    I was a remain voter but democracy means it's time to move on and make the best of where we are. Of the current crop of parties and leaders May is really the only game in town.
    +1
  • Options
    wasd said:

Some interesting comments in Tristram's final speech in the Commons:

"the division of opinion between the official Labour party position and many of our heartland voters has served only to highlight some of the deep-seated challenges that centre-left parties are facing. From Greece to the Netherlands, Sweden and France, the combination of austerity, globalisation and EU policy has hammered social democratic politics."

"In Stoke-on-Trent, my voters wanted to leave the European Union for three reasons: sovereignty and a return of national powers to this Parliament; a reaction against globalisation and a political economy that they thought had shut down the mines and steel industry and eliminated 80 per cent of jobs in the potteries; and immigration. The concern about immigration was not racism. It was about the effects of large-scale migration on public services and wage levels in an already low-wage city."

You can find the whole thing on Labour List.

Does Stoke suffer/benefit (delete to taste) from immigration more than the English average, or is it one of these places that the perception of the level of immigration greatly outstrips the reality?

According to Wiki (based on the 2001 census admittedly) 96.3% of Stokers were born in the UK, and 94.8% identify as white. Seems pretty homogeneous to me.
    2011 should be online?
    Don't know if my hunger for statistical truth extends to guddling around on the ONS site.

The Stoke council site doesn't mention ethnic demographics but does say the population grew by 3.6% in the last census interval.

The ONS has Stoke Central down as about 88% UK born.
    Anything for Stoke en masse? I gather from on here that Stoke Central is the less leavey, more liberal part of the city. They did elect Tristan after all..
  • Options

Got it. As I suspected, it is an entirely meaningless term.

Not at all.

There has been a generally liberal leaning consensus in the politics and media of most western nations for years. The Blairs, Camerons, Obamas, Hollandes, Merkels and the Renzi's are basically centrist statist liberals. They have followed a path of globalisation, of pro-business, pro-immigration corporatism. They did this even when the voters said they didn't like it. They carried on doing it when a fair chunk of the voters were bloody furious about it, claiming deprecatingly that they had nowhere else to go.... until they did. They bought the current wave on populists across the world on themselves by ignoring the great unwashed because they didn't like their values, until they found they did need their votes.

Not sure what that has to do with very rich people being proles. I understand and agree that a lot of politicians ignored a lot of voters. That's why I always thought Leave would win.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,228
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Why don't the Tories and UKIP amalgamate? There isn't a fag paper between them since TM took over.

And think of the spin offs... UKIP to be led by a woman and The Tories to have a deputy from Bootle.

Strange that people said the same about the Tories and the LDs between 2010-2015 with Cameron/Clegg both being basically orange book LDs.

But you're hyperventilating is noted. There is masses of difference between the two, Tezzie is a rather unexciting solid middle of the road Tory. Just because you dont approve of her giving the voters the only option realistically on the table that matches a Leave vote, it doesnt make her a kipper.
    Her time at the Home office makes her a kipper. An Italian friend of mine who bought a small cafe with a staff of five had a visit from her storm troopers two months after opening. Eight officers came in one night and in front of customers asked them all to show their passports. One who washed up for a couple of hours on Saturday nights was Algerian. He was taken away and my Italian chum was fined £15,000.

He's now out of business.
    I assume the bit you are glossing over here is that possibly your friend was employing an illegal immigrant without the appropriate paperwork ?

https://www.gov.uk/check-job-applicant-right-to-work
    Home office enforce the law shocker
    I wasn't glossing over it. He was an academic who decided to try his hand at running a small cafe. He inherited the staff and did everything correctly incuding paying his staff well over the minimum wage. He had missed the washer upper because he was part time and only worked occasional Saturdays and they all thought he was French. But there is no appeal and no one to speak to. It was Kafkaesque
    Roger: if they all thought he was French all that was needed was to ask to see his passport to confirm that he was indeed French and so entitled to work here. All employers have to do this. I employ people who are not from the UK (one from the EU and one from outside it) and have to do the same thing. It's not that hard. It is a shame your friend's business is no more but I find it odd that the removal of one part-time and occasional washer-upper should lead to its demise.

I think we corresponded before about this and there was an issue about the due diligence which your friend did and whether he had been misled by the people who sold him the business. I hope that got itself resolved. But it doesn't detract from the well-established principle that businesses should abide by the laws of the land.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    edited January 2017

wasd said:

"the division of opinion between the official Labour party position and many of our heartland voters has served only to highlight some of the deep-seated challenges that centre-left parties are facing. From Greece to the Netherlands, Sweden and France, the combination of austerity, globalisation and EU policy has hammered social democratic politics."

"In Stoke-on-Trent, my voters wanted to leave the European Union for three reasons: sovereignty and a return of national powers to this Parliament; a reaction against globalisation and a political economy that they thought had shut down the mines and steel industry and eliminated 80 per cent of jobs in the potteries; and immigration. The concern about immigration was not racism. It was about the effects of large-scale migration on public services and wage levels in an already low-wage city."

Does Stoke suffer/benefit (delete to taste) from immigration more than the English average, or is it one of these places that the perception of the level of immigration greatly outstrips the reality?

According to Wiki (based on the 2001 census admittedly) 96.3% of Stokers were born in the UK, and 94.8% identify as white. Seems pretty homogeneous to me.
    2011 should be online?
    Don't know if my hunger for statistical truth extends to guddling around on the ONS site.

The Stoke council site doesn't mention ethnic demographics but does say the population grew by 3.6% in the last census interval.

Anything for Stoke en masse? I gather from on here that Stoke Central is the less leavey, more liberal part of the city. They did elect Tristan after all..
    Stoke-on-Trent Local Authority - Country of Birth, 2011:

All usual residents 249,008
    United Kingdom 228,294
    England 224,509
    Northern Ireland 497
    Scotland 1,694
    Wales 1,567
    United Kingdom not otherwise specified 27
    Ireland 571
    Other EU 4,815
    Member countries in March 2001 1,735
    Accession countries April 2001 to March 2011 3,080
    Other countries 15,328

Edit: Next door Newcastle looks to have a greater proportion born in GB.
  • Options
    felix said:

Patrick said:

rcs1000 said:

Or she has already been told by credible sources that there is no room for maneuver of freedom of movement, and the EU would rather have no deal than any deal which compromises it.

There appears to be a lot of wishful thinking from Remainers that the EU is not going to be obstinate and dogmatic in the teeth of forty years of experience. I would bet they have basically told us to piss off behind closed doors, and Eurocrat posturing and Tezzies speechifying are the public face of that reality.

I think Mrs May has been tactically very astute. She has plenty of room to co-operate more deeply (ESA, Erasmus, etc.) and contribute on a case by case basis. She's offered something that the EU clearly wants (tariff free goods and services).

She has plenty of room to offer more to the EU, but by making it clear she doesn't *need* more than [x], her bargaining power is increased.

The danger to her - and Brexit - is that the UK economy is dangerously unbalanced. It's genuinely scary that our trade balance has markedly worsened despite a significant devaluation in the pound. The rise in the price of oil and commodities means this is likely to continue this year. Our savings rate is at a 50 year low (excepting the 18 months before the Global Financial Crisis). Unsecured borrowing is growing at an 11% annual rate (that's more than 3x faster than incomes, and is the fastest it's ever grown in real terms). Every measure on the UK economy is flashing red, but to raise rates would risk tipping the economy into recession. So we choose instead to let the economy become more and more unbalanced.
    Hammond should push to have interest rates raised. He can't directly control the BoE. But he does directly control NS&I. He shoukld force them to offer notably less shitty rates on their savings products.

You forgot higher rates for the savers - the majority who provide the funds for mortgages. Many people have benefited from low rates for many years now.

Of course - but Brexit is supposed to be about helping those who are just about getting by: the people who do not have savings and who are struggling to juggle jobs and finances. The people who will suffer most from higher prices, higher mortgage payments, lower public spending and less job security are the JAMs.

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    felix said:

Blue_rog said:

PlatoSaid said:

Williamz said:

Mr Topping

My first car was a mustard coloured allegro with brown vinyl roof. a design classic!!

almost a twin of my mustard coloured marina, definitely not a design classic!
    Mine was a turquoise Datsun 120Y - it was so rust stained it looked like it'd been salvaged from the sea. Steering wheel the size of a bin lid and no brakes/emergency stop only mode. My mum paid £80 for a respray/go faster stripe - it was double its value.
    My first car was a FIAT 850 Sport! 903cc engine and went like the proverbial sh1t off a shovel

Unfortunately a previous owner had decided that it would be a good idea to clean it with a brillo pad so it had a very attractive matt finish :grin:
    Mine was a Datsun sunny rust bucket - on my first day at a new school in 1981 the caretaker came into the staffroom to ask if anyone knew about what looked like an abandoned car in the staff car park - it lasted me a good few years till i could trade up :)
    My second was a Datsun Sunny - very swish - metallic brown with green tinted windows and tan interior. I could actually touch the steering wheel/seats after it'd sat in the sunshine. My 120Y was near molten inside.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005

Not at all.

There has been a generally liberal leaning consensus in the politics and media of most western nations for years. The Blairs, Camerons, Obamas, Hollandes, Merkels and the Renzi's are basically centrist statist liberals. They have followed a path of globalisation, of pro-business, pro-immigration corporatism. They did this even when the voters said they didn't like it. They carried on doing it when a fair chunk of the voters were bloody furious about it, claiming deprecatingly that they had nowhere else to go.... until they did. They bought the current wave on populists across the world on themselves by ignoring the great unwashed because they didn't like their values, until they found they did need their votes.

Not sure what that has to do with very rich people being proles. I understand and agree that a lot of politicians ignored a lot of voters. That's why I always thought Leave would win.
    But the data says that the poorest people voted Leave.. and you keep on categorising all pensioners as rich. that's just wrong.

"The rich and middle-classes were more pro-EU.

The AB group backed Remain by 57% to 43%, while the poorer C2DE category was almost two-thirds in favour of quitting, voting Out by 64% to 36%, according to Lord Ashcroft . "

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/who-voted-brexit-how-eu-8277077
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Why don't the Tories and UKIP amalgamate? There isn't a fag paper between them since TM took over.

And think of the spin offs... UKIP to be led by a woman and The Tories to have a deputy from Bootle.

Strange that people said the same about the Tories and the LDs between 2010-2015 with Cameron/Clegg both being basically orange book LDs.

But you're hyperventilating is noted. There is masses of difference between the two, Tezzie is a rather unexciting solid middle of the road Tory. Just because you dont approve of her giving the voters the only option realistically on the table that matches a Leave vote, it doesnt make her a kipper.
    Her time at the Home office makes her a kipper. An Italian friend of mine who bought a small cafe with a staff of five had a visit from her storm troopers two months after opening. Eight officers came in one night and in front of customers asked them all to show their passports. One who washed up for a couple of hours on Saturday nights was Algerian. He was taken away and my Italian chum was fined £15,000.

I assume the bit you are glossing over here is that possibly your friend was employing an illegal immigrant without the appropriate paperwork ?

I wasn't glossing over it. He was an academic who decided to try his hand at running a small cafe. He inherited the staff and did everything correctly incuding paying his staff well over the minimum wage. He had missed the washer upper because he was part time and only worked occasional Saturdays and they all thought he was French. But there is no appeal and no one to speak to. It was Kafkaesque
    Roger: if they all thought he was French all that was needed was to ask to see his passport to confirm that he was indeed French and so entitled to work here. All employers have to do this. I employ people who are not from the UK (one from the EU and one from outside it) and have to do the same thing. It's not that hard. It is a shame your friend's business is no more but I find it odd that the removal of one part-time and occasional washer-upper should lead to its demise.

I think we corresponded before about this and there was an issue about the due diligence which your friend did and whether he had been misled by the people who sold him the business. I hope that got itself resolved. But it doesn't detract from the well-established principle that businesses should abide by the laws of the land.

It was the £15,000 fine that put him out of business, wasn't it?

• Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    felix said:

Patrick said:

rcs1000 said:

NS&I appears to offer a route to borrow £100s of bn from rich pensioners for socially useful investment. If it would start to issue 30, 40 or 50 year 'bonds', either normal or index-linked, those could lock in low rates until after 2050.

The capital wouldn't be returned until then, but granny and grandad would get the interest regularly, which is what they really want, and can bequeath them to their grandchildren...

Worth a try, surely, provided it's made clear that the capital is locked up and this is more aimed at well-off couples?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Amazing how people talk about interest rates rising when we're not at our target inflation rate. The system is awash with cash looking for a return, and sovereign bonds are at historic lows.
  • Options
    isam said:

felix said:

Patrick said:

rcs1000 said:

It would be interesting to see breakdown by economic bracket of the pensioners who voted Leave... I don't think they are all the retired businessman dividing their time between the golf club and the holiday home that Southam is trying to portray

Pensioners have done very well out of the last few years.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/pensioners-earning-more-than-the-average-worker-new-analysis-says-a6701851.html

• Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    weejonnie said:

matt said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

To be clear, your friend was breaking the law. But only a little bit, so that's acceptable.
    Which is why I only hire white Caucasian males who are fluent in English -not racism but self-survival for both me, mine and the staff who work for me.
    Probably sex discrimination though.
  • Options
    isam said:

Theresa May and the Conservatives have made the choice to go for a hard Brexit and are standing by as their cheerleaders in the right wing press wave the Union Jack and portray our departure from the EU as a rematch of World War 2. The message that is being sent to the rest of the world is one that will only damage our reputation as a country that is welcoming and open for business. But that is what nationalism does, I guess.

I am interested to hear what you feel her options were given a Leave vote, (short of deciding to ignore it I suppose). Everyone here has been saying Hard BrExit was the only realistic option for months, and yet you want us to believe its that Tezzie "chose".

Morrning Southam.. have you ever had a good word for Mrs May since she became PM?.

She is the best choice the Tories could have made.

Nationalism is invariably an reaction to the existing political environment, possibly something the liberal political consensus might like to reflect up. If you ignore the proles for long enough sooner or later they are going to bite you at the ballot box.

Ha, ha - the proles again. The demographic which voted in greatest numbers for Brexit was pensioners, who have seen their incomes rise by 13% in real terms over the last decade, while those of working age - whose vote was far more split - have seen their incomes decline. The other demographic that was most in favour of Brexit was people who own their homes outright, which is not particularly proley.

The demographic which votes in greatest numbers for anything is pensioners isn't it?

And how does this fit with your view?

The AB group backed Remain by 57% to 43%, while the poorer C2DE category was almost two-thirds in favour of quitting, voting Out by 64% to 36%, according to Lord Ashcroft."

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx?ref=IE8Activity&a=http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/who-voted-brexit-how-eu-8277077

I have absolutely no doubt that a lot of people at the bottom of the ladder voted to Leave. Quite a few voted to remain, of course - but a minority. However, if it had just been them Leave would not have come close to winning.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

felix said:

Patrick said:

rcs1000 said:

Of course - but Brexit is supposed to be about helping those who are just about getting by: the people who do not have savings and who are struggling to juggle jobs and finances. The people who will suffer most from higher prices, higher mortgage payments, lower public spending and less job security are the JAMs.

You appear to think voters cant work out whats in their own interest

• Options

isam said:

felix said:

Patrick said:

rcs1000 said:

become more and more unbalanced.
    Hammond should push to have interest rates raised. He can't directly control

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/pensioners-earning-more-than-the-average-worker-new-analysis-says-a6701851.html

I doubt they were voting with their pocket, and in any case many have savings which they are receiving next to no interest on, which is a pay cut that nullifies a lot of the increase they have been getting.

But my point remains. You keep on talking about pensioners as if they are all wealthy Tories swanning around not giving a toss for the poor little young ones. That is very far from the truth. I am sorry that you took the referendum defeat so hard, but constantly trying to spin it as a rich persons vote seems like an exercise in trying to make yourself look good more than anything else... the data disagrees with you

If you can find a split on how pensioners voted by wealth that would be interesting. If the trend is the same as the rest of the population, the poor ones would vote Leave and the Fatcats to Remain
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Yes - I saw that after I posted this. It does seem silly not to have a graduated level of fines related to turnover/profits etc.

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited January 2017
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

[...]

Yes - I saw that after I posted this. It does seem silly not to have a graduated level of fines related to turnover/profits etc.

Much below £15,000 and you'd wilfully take the risk.
  • Options
    isam said:

Not at all.

But the data says that the poorest people voted Leave.. and you keep on categorising all pensioners as rich. that's just wrong.

The AB group backed Remain by 57% to 43%, while the poorer C2DE category was almost two-thirds in favour of quitting, voting Out by 64% to 36%, according to Lord Ashcroft . "

The C2DE category was also less likely to vote - look at the turnout rates in the most deprived constituencies. This was a referendum that was won because a lot of middle class and comfortably off people voted for Leave.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3774/The-2016-EU-referendum-who-was-in-and-who-was-out.aspx?view=wide

• Options
    edited January 2017

isam said:

Theresa May and the Conservatives have made the choice to go for a hard Brexit and are standing by as their cheerleaders in the right wing press wave the Union Jack and portray our departure from the EU as a rematch of World War 2. The message that is being sent to the rest of the world is one that will only damage our reputation as a country that is welcoming and open for business. But that is what nationalism does, I guess.

Morrning Southam.. have you ever had a good word for Mrs May since she became PM?.

Nationalism is invariably an reaction to the existing political environment, possibly something the liberal political consensus might like to reflect up. If you ignore the proles for long enough sooner or later they are going to bite you at the ballot box.

The demographic which votes in greatest numbers for anything is pensioners isn't it?

The AB group backed Remain by 57% to 43%, while the poorer C2DE category was almost two-thirds in favour of quitting, voting Out by 64% to 36%, according to Lord Ashcroft."

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx?ref=IE8Activity&a=http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/who-voted-brexit-how-eu-8277077

I have absolutely no doubt that a lot of people at the bottom of the ladder voted to Leave. Quite a few voted to remain, of course - but a minority. However, if it had just been them Leave would not have come close to winning.

... likewise many pensioners voted to Remain, and I would hazard a guess that they were the rich ones, following the trend of the other age groups, yet you like to imply that pensioners voting leave = rich people voting in their self interest
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

felix said:

Patrick said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes and they include a mixture of renters, mortgage payers, elderly people living on limited savings and small pensions...... I'm not convinced that all the JAMs are paying mortgages or that mortgage payers are the only ones May referred to.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

felix said:

Patrick said:

rcs1000 said:

become more and more unbalanced.
    Hammond should push to have interest rates raised. He can't directly control

I doubt they were voting with their pocket, and in any case many have savings which they are receiving next to no interest on, which is a pay cut that nullifies a lot of the increase they have been getting.

But my point remains. You keep on talking about pensioners as if they are all wealthy Tories swanning around not giving a toss for the poor little young ones. That is very far from the truth. I am sorry that you took the referendum defeat so hard, but constantly trying to spin it as a rich persons vote seems like an exercise in trying to make yourself look good more than anything else... the data disagrees with you

If you can find a split on how pensioners voted by wealth that would be interesting. If the trend is the same as the rest of the population, the poor ones would vote Leave and the Fatcats to Remain
    I suppose I'm one of the [relative] pension fat cats who voted remain but plenty in different circumstances must have voted leave.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    HYUFD said:

<
    Singapore has statutory annual leave and more elderly people than the U.K.. Longer term social care may need to be paid for by an annuity or NI as people live longer but that is a different argument

https://www.guidemesingapore.com/doing-business/hr/singapore-employment-act-guide

After May departs we may even be heading for a Labour PM but it is for them to convince the electorate

Minimum statutory leave is 7 days and most apparently have 14 so probably much less than many enjoy in the UK. They do have more public holidays.

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.POP.65UP.TO.ZS

Proportion of population over 65 - Singapore has 12% (from 2% in 1960), the UK has 18% (from 12% in 1960). Comparative economic growth figures will tell another story.

• Options
    edited January 2017

isam said:

Not at all.

The C2DE category was also less likely to vote - look at the turnout rates in the most deprived constituencies. This was a referendum that was won because a lot of middle class and comfortably off people voted for Leave.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3774/The-2016-EU-referendum-who-was-in-and-who-was-out.aspx?view=wide

I am sorry but you are just spinning and I could spin it the other way. You like to think of yourself as in touch with the working class & find it hard to accept voting in the opposite way to the majority of that group, and so are trying to push the idea that Leave was a toffs vote. Sorry if that seems harsh but that how it is coming over to me. The fact is that most poor people who voted, voted leave, and the majority of rich people voted Remain, its there in the figures you link to. As people get worse off, the more likely they are to vote Leave

Social Class Remain/Leave
    AB
    59 41
    C1
    52 48
    C2
    38 62
    DE
    36 64
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

So much borrowed money has been pumped into the economy that it will be years until its effect reduces.

Which means that people will continue to spend on imported tat and foreign holidays irrespective of whether their price rises.

Political economists of the future will have discussions on whose 'borrow and bribe' policies were the more disastrous - Brown's of 2001-2008 or Osborne's 2010-16.
    A 'buy British' campaign post Brexit would help, although obviously people will still need to buy some imported goods British goods should be relatively cheaper
    I wondered when someone would wheel out that old chestnut. It has never worked before and it won't work now.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Nationalism ballot box.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx?ref=IE8Activity&amp;a=http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/who-voted-brexit-how-eu-8277077

... likewise many pensioners voted to Remain, and I would hazard a guess that they were the rich ones, following the trend of the other age groups, yet you like to imply that pensioners voting leave = rich people voting in their self interest

Almost everyone votes in what they perceive to be their best interests. Not all pensioners are rich, of course; the vast majority aren't. But it is an undeniable fact, I'm afraid, that while the incomes of those who work have fallen over the last 10 years, the incomes of pensioners have risen. My argument is with the idea that we are leaving the EU because the poor and dispossessed rose up against the establishment when the reality is that we are leaving the EU because large numbers of people from all classes and all backgrounds did so. ABs and C1s form the majority of the UK population.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,442
    Devastating article by Hardman on Labour's potential complete collapse in heartlands such as Stoke Central.

"‘The only thing that is propping up the party is a social norm, and if that cracks, then it becomes a snowball"

"Corbyn, says the Labour pollster James Morris, is not the source of the party’s problem, but rather the final straw for voters who were already losing patience."

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/01/in-labours-old-heartlands-mps-are-staring-into-the-abyss/

Yes you could dismiss this as just a hatchet job from Spectator, but a) Hardman isn't that kind of reporter and b) John Harris of Guardian would write pretty much the same article.

Betting wise, I'm glad I'm betting against Labour in both by-election seats. When will the Party and its witless metropolitan new supporters put down their lattes and wake up?
  • Options

Devastating article by Hardman on Labour's potential complete collapse in heartlands such as Stoke Central.

"‘The only thing that is propping up the party is a social norm, and if that cracks, then it becomes a snowball"

"Corbyn, says the Labour pollster James Morris, is not the source of the party’s problem, but rather the final straw for voters who were already losing patience."

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/01/in-labours-old-heartlands-mps-are-staring-into-the-abyss/

Yes you could dismiss this as just a hatchet job from Spectator, but a) Hardman isn't that kind of reporter and b) John Harris of Guardian would write pretty much the same article.

Betting wise, I'm glad I'm betting against Labour in both by-election seats. When will the Party and its witless metropolitan new supporters put down their lattes and wake up?

I think I'll put a few quid on Labour in Stoke actually. Although when are the dates compared to each other?
  • Options
    Actually we have data on how over 55s voted by social class. As I thought, the Richer they are, the more they vote Remain

55+ by Class (Remain /Leave)

AB
    48 52
    C1
    37 63
    C2
    32 68
    DE
    30 70

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,945

The EU seems to give people a very odd view of how immigration works in almost all the countries outside its boundaries. Almost all of which need you to have a job, as in a signed contract, not an offer because they will consider your application. In most of those countries there needs to be evidence that the jobs has been offered to residents for a period of time and not filled, or that the skill set is not available locally. In quite a lot of countries whole ranges of professions are "protected" and only available to locals.

Almost all countries outside the EU will give you a 30 day pass if you wave your EU/UK passport, but we are lucky in that regard, if you are a Filipino, only 40 countries will give you a visitors visa at entry without long and expensive applications frequently denied.

The sort of changes to immigration which many here seem to find so horrifying and a clear sign of rampant rightwingery are actually completely normal practise in most countries of the world, including many with quite left wing governments.

Well quite. Every other country in the world, including those that have large numbers of immigrants, have strict rules on who can come and how they can work. Losing one's job is usually grounds for deportation rather than welfare payments, to bring in your family requires a large salary and payments for health and education.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

isam said:

isam said:

Nationalism ballot box.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx?ref=IE8Activity&amp;a=http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/who-voted-brexit-how-eu-8277077

Almost everyone votes in what they perceive to be their best interests. Not all pensioners are rich, of course; the vast majority aren't. But it is an undeniable fact, I'm afraid, that while the incomes of those who work have fallen over the last 10 years, the incomes of pensioners have risen. My argument is with the idea that we are leaving the EU because the poor and dispossessed rose up against the establishment when the reality is that we are leaving the EU because large numbers of people from all classes and all backgrounds did so. ABs and C1s form the majority of the UK population.
    With respect, you are trying to say that we voted to leave because of rich people. It seems obvious that you want Brexit to be viewed as a rich, right wing vote. I doubt anyone could read your posts on the matter without coming to that conclusion

AB
    48 52
    C1
    37 63
    C2
    32 68
    DE
    30 70
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,442

I think I'll put a few quid on Labour in Stoke actually. Although when are the dates compared to each other?
    No dates yet iirc.

Labour may scrape these two this time, possibly by holding on local election day, but the collapse is coming unless something is done. James Baldwin wrote a book in the 60s called "The Fire Next Time". Seems an appropriate response, even if Labour scrape through.
  • Options

The Spectator on the Government's carrot-and-stick approach to the EU:

"Perhaps the most useful thing that the May government has learned in the last six month is what other EU countries fear. Since the referendum, parliaments all over Europe have been setting up committees to cover the negotiations. On their visits to London, the assurance they have most frequently sought from British ministers and officials has been that this country won’t turn itself into Singapore West, slashing taxes and regulation to attract business. This is why both Philip Hammond and May herself have made clear that this is indeed how the UK will respond if there is no reasonable offer from the EU."

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/01/theresa-may-has-taken-control-this-is-a-brexit-plan-the-eu-cant-stop/

Well quite. Cameron played the doormat and got virtually nothing. Theresa May can hardly get less than nothing if the EU goes all stampy feet. Also, it's another nail in the coffin of the 'Theresa Maybe' canard. The Government wasn't just making up lost time for all the preparations that Cameron forbade, it was also talking to EU27 delegations and gathering information about their positions. Very sensible.

Witb our budget deficit worse than any EU country bar Spain, a game of beggar thy neighbour over corporate and higher rate taxation is likely to be won by the Germans.

Worth noting that Singapore is also a country open to immigrants.
    If we are going to copy Singapore, can we start by banning chewing gum?
    Don't they also have massive car import duties?

Yes, about 200%, so a WV Golf costs £50k. Tolls on the roads too, and for those not driving the beer is £12 a pint!
  • Options

Interesting that she actually went to Millom. I have family there and have spent a lot of time over the last 25 years there. It is nice to see it finally mentioned in a national paper - though it was mentioned here first in one of my thread headers (http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/07/12/uniting-the-country/).

• Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276

wasd said:

2011 should be online?

A little under 92%.

One you've taught yourself to use it the ONS neighbourhood stats website really is very good.

http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    edited January 2017
    Interesting jump in:

How well or badly do you think the government are doing at negotiating Britain's exit from the European Union? (vs Jan 9)
    Well: 33 (+12)
    Badly: 45 (-8)

Also strong support for May's plan: (net right):
    Continue Security Cooperation: +83
    Guarantee EU/UK citizens rights: +69
    Control over EU Immigration: +62
    Open border with Eire: +61
    NOT in Single Market: +36
    LEAVE Customs Union: +36

Remainers agreed with all of the above except Single Market (-10).

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/xalfiwu0ed/TimesResults_170118_VI_Trackers_MaySpeech_W.pdf
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Nationalism ballot box.

Almost population.
    With respect, you are trying to say that we voted to leave because of rich people. It seems obvious that you want Brexit to be viewed as a rich, right wing vote. I doubt anyone could read your posts on the matter without coming to that conclusion

AB
    48 52
    C1
    37 63
    C2
    32 68
    DE
    30 70

With respect, no I am not saying that. That is what you want me to be saying. Which, of course, is different. As I have said many, many times - we are leaving because a coalition of voters from very different backgrounds voted Leave. It was not an uprising of the proles, it was not a rich-man's revolution. It was a coalition of well-off homeowners, pensioners and C2DE's that achieved victory.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

The EU seems to give people a very odd view of how immigration works in almost all the countries outside its boundaries. Almost all of which need you to have a job, as in a signed contract, not an offer because they will consider your application. In most of those countries there needs to be evidence that the jobs has been offered to residents for a period of time and not filled, or that the skill set is not available locally. In quite a lot of countries whole ranges of professions are "protected" and only available to locals.

Almost all countries outside the EU will give you a 30 day pass if you wave your EU/UK passport, but we are lucky in that regard, if you are a Filipino, only 40 countries will give you a visitors visa at entry without long and expensive applications frequently denied.

The sort of changes to immigration which many here seem to find so horrifying and a clear sign of rampant rightwingery are actually completely normal practise in most countries of the world, including many with quite left wing governments.

Well quite. Every other country in the world, including those that have large numbers of immigrants, have strict rules on who can come and how they can work. Losing one's job is usually grounds for deportation rather than welfare payments, to bring in your family requires a large salary and payments for health and education.
    Some deplorably racist countries even go so far as to publish the:

- nationality
    - employer
    - job title
    of immigrant workers.....

like the USA......
  • Options

No dates yet iirc.

Labour may scrape these two this time, possibly by holding on local election day, but the collapse is coming unless something is done. James Baldwin wrote a book in the 60s called "The Fire Next Time". Seems an appropriate response, even if Labour scrape through.
    The main reason Labour scrape through is because UKIP is not the SNP. UKIP is largely useless at actually getting the votes out in a focused way in anything other than EU elections and their leadership appears to be a nest of vipers. If UKIP put in the sort of work that the SNP did over the years, they would be toast in a lot of those Northern seats.

• Options

felix said:

Patrick said:

rcs1000 said:

The become more and more unbalanced.

You appear to think voters cant work out whats in their own interest

Of course they can - but often retrospectively, which is why the Tories, who now own Brexit, need to deliver on the promises that were made during the referendum and which have been made since.

• Options
    Roger said:

Roger is of course, as always, objecting to the fact that Theresa May is a Conservative. In all his thousands of posts here, you will never, ever find a single one where he objected to identical things happening under a Labour Home Secretary.

I find it rather sweet, really.
  • Options
    isam said:

felix said:

Patrick said:

rcs1000 said:

Maybe not but almost all of them don't have to worry about jobs, don't have a mortgage and expect their triple-lock pensions and perks to continue ad infinitum. In other words they were the one demographic that could happily vote for Brexit without having to worry about any of the consequences other than waiting for the extra £350m a week for the NHS.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Wow - just seen the YouGov figures. Better headline VI than even I expected. Looks like Deacon's sketch was bang on - Labour don't have a hope while Brexit continues. Turns out there is only one party the country identifies with on Europe. Fervent remainers/rejoiners will be the political extremists from now on - but will they ever admit it???

Con gain Bootle?

I'm saving this post for a couple of years down the line!
  • Options
    edited January 2017

isam said:

isam said:
    Almost population.

AB
    48 52
    C1
    37 63
    C2
    32 68
    DE
    30 70

With respect, no I am not saying that. That is what you want me to be saying. Which, of course, is different. As I have said many, many times - we are leaving because a coalition of voters from very different backgrounds voted Leave. It was not an uprising of the proles, it was not a rich-man's revolution. It was a coalition of well-off homeowners, pensioners and C2DE's that achieved victory.

I don't want or not want you to be saying anything! Why should I care?

I read your posts and almost all of them seem to be suggesting (putting it mildly) that Brexit was voted for by Rich pensioners, Tories and the well off in general. The data suggests the complete opposite, ie that the poorer you are the more likely you voted for Brexit, including pensioners, that's why I pulled you up

The fact is

If only the rich had voted, Remain would have won
    If only the poor had voted, Leave would have won
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    rcs1000 said:

I think you are once again being excessively pessimistic Robert. As you well know the J curve effect on currency devaluation is a well recognised phenomenon and it is much too early to say what effect the devaluation will have on the balance of payments. Real wages are growing more rapidly than forecast and employment remains very high. Inflation is incredibly low, in fact it is not that long since we were worrying about possible deflation.

The increase in consumer debt is a concern as is the persistent nature of the government deficit. There is very little incentive to save when you have negative interest rates for so long. It makes more sense to buy assets. Not everything is great by any means but we are not heading for disaster either. At least not yet.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

There may be a corporation tax cut but beyond that the UK will not become Singapore, May is no libertarian and even Singapore has some public services

I realise you are a Conservative supporter and obliged to defend your Party leader but this is nonsense.

May herself said "under her leadership" workers' rights would be protected but that doesn't mean her successor might not seek a different path. One way to sound pro-business to the wider world might be to sound anti-worker. Will you support a future leader if he or she seeks to remove or reduce workers' rights in the name of competitiveness in the global business environment ?

What employment and holiday rights do workers have in Singapore by the way ?

On your second point, indeed they do and the transport system is excellent. However, what is the demographic picture - I suspect a much smaller proportion of the population are economically inactive and a much smaller proportion are elderly than in the UK ?

The demographics have done for our public services, not waste or even cuts. Conservative shire councils are not struggling because they are wasteful or inefficient but because they simply can't cope with the relentless demands on adult social care provision.
    Singapore has statutory annual leave and more elderly people than the U.K.. Longer term social care may need to be paid for by an annuity or NI as people live longer but that is a different argument

https://www.guidemesingapore.com/doing-business/hr/singapore-employment-act-guide

After May departs we may even be heading for a Labour PM but it is for them to convince the electorate
    "Singapore has ... more elderly people than the U.K."
    You live and learn ;-)
    Yes, and they are Singaporeans. Older immigrants aren't looked after by Singapore or given citizenship, they're deported back to their home countries.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:
    Almost population.

AB
    48 52
    C1
    37 63
    C2
    32 68
    DE
    30 70

I read your posts and almost all of them seem to be suggesting (putting it mildly) that Brexit was voted for by Rich pensioners, Tories and the well off in general. The data suggests the complete opposite, ie that the poorer you are the more likely you voted for Brexit, including pensioners, that's why I pulled you up

I do not disagree with that. I am not sure how you get the idea that the following suggests "that Brexit was voted for by Rich pensioners, Tories and the well off in general":
    "We are leaving because a coalition of voters from very different backgrounds voted Leave. It was not an uprising of the proles, it was not a rich-man's revolution. It was a coalition of well-off homeowners, pensioners and C2DE's that achieved victory"

• Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    edited January 2017
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:
    Almost population.

AB
    48 52
    C1
    37 63
    C2
    32 68
    DE
    30 70

Its not that all pensioners are rich, its that all pensioners have seen large rises in their incomes over the past few years in absolute terms and relative to those working. Since these pensioners make up a majority of those voting Leave, to claim that the leave vote was driven by those doing badly by the financial settlement over the past 10 years is incorrect.

Its probably the case that the majority of Leave voters are more insulated from the financial costs of their vote than Remain voters.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

Some deplorably racist countries even go so far as to publish the:

- nationality
    - employer
    - job title
    of immigrant workers.....

like the USA......

Some idiot somewhere will soon be complaining about this policy and blaming Trump.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

No dates yet iirc.

The main reason Labour scrape through is because UKIP is not the SNP. UKIP is largely useless at actually getting the votes out in a focused way in anything other than EU elections and their leadership appears to be a nest of vipers. If UKIP put in the sort of work that the SNP did over the years, they would be toast in a lot of those Northern seats.

Could not agree more. If UKIP pivoted left on some economic issues and did the groundwork the SNP has done it would take Labour apart in the Midlands and North.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:
    Almost population.

AB
    48 52
    C1
    37 63
    C2
    32 68
    DE
    30 70

I do not disagree with that. I am not sure how you get the idea that the following suggests "that Brexit was voted for by Rich pensioners, Tories and the well off in general":
    "We are leaving because a coalition of voters from very different backgrounds voted Leave. It was not an uprising of the proles, it was not a rich-man's revolution. It was a coalition of well-off homeowners, pensioners and C2DE's that achieved victory"

I don't get the idea from that. That is what you say after I have shown that it if we only counted the Poor, Leave wins, if we only counted the rich, Remain wins. So of course you have softened your words.

I read your posts, and the message they convey is of you trying to frame Brexit as a Rich, right wing Tory vote that will harm the lives of the poor lemmings at the bottom.. maybe that isn't what you think, but that's how it comes across. The data show the opposite
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Cyclefree said:

No dates yet iirc.

Could not agree more. If UKIP pivoted left on some economic issues and did the groundwork the SNP has done it would take Labour apart in the Midlands and North.
    I've laid UKIP in both by-elections, May has stolen their clothes and the Tories are doing extraordinarily well for a governing party.

Labour has a strong history on its side in both seats too (And is ahead to start)

I think the 2-1 and 10-1 respectively in both seats are too short.
  • Options
    felix said:

Scott would have wanted me to post this I'm sure :)

Here's another couple he's inexplicably missed:

@GoodwinMJ: % May Brexit deal "good for Britain"
    All voters 55%
    Ukip 84%
    Leavers 81%
    w.class 60%
    London 52%
    Remainers 32%
    Wd respect EURef? 62% say yes

Even 56% Remainers think May's Brexit deal would respect the result of the EU referendum. Shows how much a chamber Twitter is.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

No dates yet iirc.

I've laid UKIP in both by-elections, May has stolen their clothes and the Tories are doing extraordinarily well for a governing party.

Labour has a strong history on its side in both seats too (And is ahead to start)

Do you think laying UKIP in Stoke at 3 is better than backing Labour at 1.87??
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

There may be a corporation tax cut but beyond that the UK will not become Singapore, May is no libertarian and even Singapore has some public services

I realise you are a Conservative supporter and obliged to defend your Party leader but this is nonsense.

May herself said "under her leadership" workers' rights would be protected but that doesn't mean her successor might not seek a different path. One way to sound pro-business to the wider world might be to sound anti-worker. Will you support a future leader if he or she seeks to remove or reduce workers' rights in the name of competitiveness in the global business environment ?

On your second point, indeed they do and the transport system is excellent. However, what is the demographic picture - I suspect a much smaller proportion of the population are economically inactive and a much smaller proportion are elderly than in the UK ?

The demographics have done for our public services, not waste or even cuts. Conservative shire councils are not struggling because they are wasteful or inefficient but because they simply can't cope with the relentless demands on adult social care provision.

You live and learn ;-)
    Yes, and they are Singaporeans. Older immigrants aren't looked after by Singapore or given citizenship, they're deported back to their home countries.
    I've known expat long-term permanent residents of Singapore who had to return home because of failing health. Singapore is a great place to live and work
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Not that anyone has indicated that they've been listening, but I've said this for weeks. SNP style wipeout is more likely to happen to Labour in the Midlands than the NE or NW.
  • Options
    Rumbled:

The Scottish Government has been accused of manipulating the figures in its budget to exaggerate the impact of Westminster cuts by senior economists.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/snp-accused-of-skewing-budget-figures-to-exaggerate-cuts-1-4342594
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:
    Almost population.

AB
    48 52
    C1
    37 63
    C2
    32 68
    DE
    30 70

With respect,victory.

I do victory"

I don't get the idea from that. That is what you say after I have shown that it if we only counted the Poor, Leave wins, if we only counted the rich, Remain wins. So of course you have softened your words.

I read your posts, and the message they convey is of you trying to frame Brexit as a Rich, right wing Tory vote that will harm the lives of the poor lemmings at the bottom.. maybe that isn't what you think, but that's how it comes across. The data show the opposite

The data shows us nothing about the impact voting Leave will have. And it is you who mentions lemmings, not me. At no stage have I suggested that the Brexit vote was solely down to rich, right-wing Tories (though it is undoubtedly the case that a large majority of right wing Tories and right-wing UKIP supporters, of whatever background, did vote to Leave). However, if you wish to believe otherwise, so be it.

• Options
    edited January 2017

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:
    Almost population.

AB
    48 52
    C1
    37 63
    C2
    32 68
    DE
    30 70

With respect,victory.

I do victory"

The data shows us nothing about the impact voting Leave will have. And it is you who mentions lemmings, not me. At no stage have I suggested that the Brexit vote was solely down to rich, right-wing Tories (though it is undoubtedly the case that a large majority of right wing Tories and right-wing UKIP supporters, of whatever background, did vote to Leave). However, if you wish to believe otherwise, so be it.

I would say re read your posts on the topic over the last week or so and see what impression they imply.

I am trying not to let this descend in to smart arse one upmanship, please don't get like that.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Not that anyone has indicated that they've been listening, but I've said this for weeks. SNP style wipeout is more likely to happen to Labour in the Midlands than the NE or NW.

Again, I reckon this is spot on: especially if Labour goes into the election with a pro-IRA leader. Memories of the Birmingham pub bombings run long and deep in the West Midlands.

• Options
    Finally a wicket!!
  • Options
    Ipsos Mori

Mrs May is the only party leader with a positive rating — 45 per cent are satisfied with her performance. Jeremy Corbyn’s ratings are a dire 26 per cent satisfied and 61 per cent dissatisfied.
  • Options

YouGov Poll shows % public preference as follows

Hard Brexit 39

Soft Brexit 25

Remain 23

Not sure 13

See
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/01/16/public-split-what-kind-brexit-they-think-governmen/

• Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    JonathanD said:

Its not that all pensioners are rich, its that all pensioners have seen large rises in their incomes over the past few years in absolute terms and relative to those working. Since these pensioners make up a majority of those voting Leave, to claim that the leave vote was driven by those doing badly by the financial settlement over the past 10 years is incorrect.

I am not sure that uprating the state pension from disgraceful to just piss poor should be seen moving pensioners without a company pension or other investments into the "doing well" category.

The basic state pension even after all that generosity is 119.30, or 6203 per year, not exactly coining it in I think you will agree. It fact its almost exactly the same amount as someone on the minimum wage makes working the standard part-time 16 hours week.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Sandpit said:

Finally a wicket!!

256 run partnership. England are going to have to bat out of their skins to match this.

This guy Jadhav any good? :-)
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

No dates yet iirc.

Could holding on local election day have the opposite effect? I'll give the Labour Councillor my vote, but not the parliamentary candidate? Could Labour suffer from split ticket voting?
  • Options

JonathanD said:

I am not sure that uprating the state pension from disgraceful to just piss poor should be seen moving pensioners without a company pension or other investments into the "doing well" category.

The basic state pension even after all that generosity is 119.30, or 6203 per year, not exactly coining it in I think you will agree. It fact its almost exactly the same amount as someone on the minimum wage makes working the standard part-time 16 hours week.

Even Southams link about pensions has a quote that says the uprate is a correction to the previous bad deal
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

No dates yet iirc.

Con 43 (+3)
    Lab 31 (+2)
    Lib Dems 11 (-3)
    Ukip 6 (-3)

Given that polling, maybe :)

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Observer,

"Of course they can - but often retrospectively."

In other words, voters often vote against their own financial interest.

I know the feeling, but that's democracy in all its glory.

I'd prefer to say that often voters choose viscerally. You can make a financial prediction, but experts often get those wrong. And even if financial experts were trusted (they're not), there's the old saying ... "A man convinced against his will, retains his own opinion still."

That's why politics is often on appearance. You can talk all the sense in the world, but if you look a wrong 'un, you're doomed.

When you look a wrong 'un, and talk nonsense, you're doubly doomed.

Sorry, Jezza.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Rumbled:

The Scottish Government has been accused of manipulating the figures in its budget to exaggerate the impact of Westminster cuts by senior economists.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/snp-accused-of-skewing-budget-figures-to-exaggerate-cuts-1-4342594

Have senior economists really been making that many Westminster cuts?

I thought it was the politicians who did that

/grammarnazi
  • Options

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

You live and learn ;-)
    I've known expat long-term permanent residents of Singapore who had to return home because of failing health. Singapore is a great place to live and work
    Absolutely, and Dubai is even more so. You're here to work, but they don't owe you anything if you're unemployed or retired - these things they reserve for their citizens, of whom you'll never be one.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

No dates yet iirc.

Con 43 (+3)
    Lab 31 (+2)
    Lib Dems 11 (-3)
    Ukip 6 (-3)

I think winning the referendum was Peak Kipper :)
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

JonathanD said:

Right, their circumstances were getting better. They were hardly the left behind who rose up because they were being ignored by the Establishment in this new world.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2017
    isam said:

Even Southams link about pensions has a quote that says the uprate is a correction to the previous bad deal

It's also based on a deliberately mendacious report by the IFS, as the article sheepishly admits at the end:

Pensions in numbers

£394: Average weekly pensioner income in 2013-2014

£385: Average weekly worker’s income in 2013-2014 after housing costs and dependants had been taken into account

Of course, if you eliminate whole classes of expenditure you can make the figures show anything you like. If you wanted the figures to be dishonest in the other direction you could quote pensioner's income after adjusting for care costs.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited January 2017
    I've taken £25 @ 1.85 on Labour in Stoke. I don't think UKIP are nearly as well set up for this challenge as their odds suggest. I think 1.5 (1/2) is fair, if it were the only by-election. 1.66 if one considers that Copeland might be first, be a disaster for Corbyn and they give up.
  • Options
    isam said:

~
    Con 43 (+3)
    Lab 31 (+2)
    Lib Dems 11 (-3)
    Ukip 6 (-3)

~
    I think winning the referendum was Peak UKIP :)

Tricky to get a fag paper between May and UKIP now. May is on the telly alot more, and people don't really know Nutall from the man on the bus. The Tories are in power but they're also seen to be leading the insurgency against the EU.

All of which is great for UKIP voters but not so good for UKIP proper, at least from a betting perspective.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Again, I reckon this is spot on: especially if Labour goes into the election with a pro-IRA leader. Memories of the Birmingham pub bombings run long and deep in the West Midlands.
    I was the subject of a complaint to the head of my Sixth Form the morning after, when a parent overheard a discussion in the common room and said they heard 'a teacher with an Irish accent was defending the IRA' - huge hoo ha until they found out it was 'a student with a Scottish accent arguing against capital punishment!'

But yes, memories are still vivid.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Mortimer said:

Wow - just seen the YouGov figures. Better headline VI than even I expected. Looks like Deacon's sketch was bang on - Labour don't have a hope while Brexit continues. Turns out there is only one party the country identifies with on Europe. Fervent remainers/rejoiners will be the political extremists from now on - but will they ever admit it???

Con gain Bootle?

I think the Bootle thing was a joke.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

~
    Con 43 (+3)
    Lab 31 (+2)
    Lib Dems 11 (-3)
    Ukip 6 (-3)

~
    I think winning the referendum was Peak UKIP :)

Tricky to get a fag paper between May and UKIP now. May is on the telly alot more, and people don't really know Nutall from the man on the bus. The Tories are in power but they're also seen to be leading the insurgency against the EU.

All of which is great for UKIP voters but not so good for UKIP proper, at least from a betting perspective.
    Yes and really what matter is the voters not the life of a political party. In seats like this they should probably make a deal for one of them to soft pedal. My only UKIP positive here is that I reckon diehard Labour find it hard to tick "Conservative". Could be wrong, but Labour 1.87 looks very nice
  • Options
    UKIP down to 6? Wow. Can't recall that for a very long time.

I think those who fantasise about them replacing Labour in the north really need to have a rethink.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

No dates yet iirc.

Con 43 (+3)
    Lab 31 (+2)
    Lib Dems 11 (-3)
    Ukip 6 (-3)

Which poll is this?
  • Options

isam said:

It's also based on a deliberately mendacious report by the IFS, as the article sheepishly admits at the end:

Pensions in numbers

£394: Average weekly pensioner income in 2013-2014

£385: Average weekly worker’s income in 2013-2014 after housing costs and dependants had been taken into account

Of course, if you eliminate whole classes of expenditure you can make the figures show anything you like. If you wanted the figures to be dishonest in the other direction you could quote pensioner's income after adjusting for care costs.
    The average housing cost if £9 a week?!
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    felix said:

OllyT said:

Mortimer said:

Con gain Bootle?

'Con gain Bootle' is a long-standing PB joke, the butt of which is either making fun of excessive Con optimism or exaggerating a particularly poor Lab preformance.
  • Options

felix said:

OllyT said:

Mortimer said:

Con gain Bootle?

'Con gain Bootle' is a long-standing PB joke, the butt of which is either making fun of excessive Con optimism or exaggerating a particularly poor Lab preformance.
    It's not just PB, my father has always used it as the archetypal Labour seat, the last one they'd hold. It isn't actually the safest on a UNS basis.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    JonathanD said:

JonathanD said:

Right, their circumstances were getting better. They were hardly the left behind who rose up because they were being ignored by the Establishment in this new world.
    Yes, now they can afford to turn the fire on for a two hours a day rather than one, I am sure they feel much better off ;)
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2017
    DavidL said:

I think those who fantasise about them replacing Labour in the north really need to have a rethink.

And this is before the process of UKIP splintering under the weight of its own contradictions, as will surely happen now that the binding force of the referendum has gone, has really got under way.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

JonathanD said:

Precisely. The one group that politicians of all parties have been very focused on over the last 20 years is pensioners. Back in the 80s and 90s, they were far worse off as a group than the national average; now as a group they are outperforming the national average. Going back to the very start of this argument, that was exactly the point I was trying to make. They have not been forgotten or left behind, but they voted to Leave in big numbers and in all categories.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    DavidL said:

Ipsos Mori had them on 6 in October last year.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Ukip have served their purpose. Only the politically motivated see the need to vote for them at the moment.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited January 2017

JonathanD said:

Except that pensioners don't pay any NI and will be eligible for housing benefit plus exempt from the benefit cap. So they are in a far better position than those in work for 16 hours a week on min wage.

We see people on here all the time saying benefits shouldn't be more generous than working so I don't see why that logic shouldn't also apply to the state pension. Everyone gets 65 years' advance notice that they will one day be old.
  • Options

felix said:

OllyT said:

Mortimer said:

Con gain Bootle?

I know - I was being ironic because I suspect OllyThas a limited sense of humour which is understandable given current Labour polling.
  • Options

DavidL said:

And this is before the process of UKIP splintering under the weight of its own contradictions, as will surely happen now that the binding force of the referendum has gone, has really got under way.
    I speculated some months ago when they were having problems that there might not even be a UKIP standing on a national basis in 2020 and they were polling a lot more than this. 4m votes up for grabs and May looks greedy for them. Most of them are not the right sort for Labour of course.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016

felix said:

Scott would have wanted me to post this I'm sure :)

Here's another couple he's inexplicably missed:

@GoodwinMJ: % May Brexit deal "good for Britain"
    All voters 55%
    Ukip 84%
    Leavers 81%
    w.class 60%
    London 52%
    Remainers 32%
    Wd respect EURef? 62% say yes

Even 56% Remainers think May's Brexit deal would respect the result of the EU referendum. Shows how much a chamber Twitter is.
    Butt she doesn't have a deal. She has aspirations.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    JonathanD said:

JonathanD said:

I have said this before on this site but I'll say it again because I think it is important to understanding the grey vote.

I am a pensioner and so are, naturally, most of my social circle. What motivates us and, thus our votes, is not our own personal circumstances but concerns for our children and grandchildren.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Mortimer said:

The Midlands are a very mixed bag. I don't see any signs whatever of a Labour wipeout in the East Midlands (though I do see the Tories doing well), while I don't have any personal impression of the West Midlands. Comparing trends, in, say, Birmingham and Nottingham (let alone, say, Lincolnshire) is unwise.

But I do think UKIP is a busted flush, especially in the "hammer of the Labour vote" guise that it's currently adopting, and if Nuttall cares to take on Stoke, we will find that very clearly demonstrated.
  • Options

JonathanD said:

JonathanD said:

Yes, now they can afford to turn the fire on for a two hours a day rather than one, I am sure they feel much better off ;)

Thanks to the winter fuel allowance they can do more than that. It is a very good thing that the elderly no longer have to worry about heating their homes (even if some still do). It should be the same for all ages, of course.

• Options
    Not sure this extra seamer thing has worked out too well... This is a car crash at the moment.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

JonathanD said:

Except that pensioners don't pay any NI and will be eligible for housing benefit plus exempt from the benefit cap. So they are in a far better position than those in work for 16 hours a week on min wage.

We see people on here all the time saying benefits shouldn't be more generous than working so I don't see why that logic shouldn't also apply to the state pension. Everyone gets 65 years' advance notice that they will one day be old.
    Pensioners benefits will not keep up the triple lock for those graduating from university with ~ £50k of debt who'll mostly be paying effectively 9 pence extra income tax till they're 55 - who're heading into either an aging population or ever decreasing housing per person (Choose your poison)

I do not envy the current young.
This discussion has been closed.