Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After an extraordinary and dramatic political year so little h

124»

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

Great quote from the German vice chancellor:

"Asked what Trump could do to make sure German customers bought more American cars, Gabriel said: “Build better cars.”"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/16/germany-hits-back-at-trump-criticism-of-refugee-policy-and-bmw-tariff-threat?CMP=fb_gu

A very valid point too on Syrian refugees:

“There is a link between America’s flawed interventionist policy, especially the Iraq war, and the refugee crisis, that’s why my advice would be that we shouldn’t tell each other what we have done right or wrong, but that we look into establishing peace in that region and do everything to make sure people can find a home there again,” Gabriel said.

Trump makes that link between Iraq & refugee crisis in the interview w Gove
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,002
    DavidL said:

SeanT said:

Well

@minefornothing 31m31 minutes ago
    IMF RAISES UK 2017 GDP FORECAST BACK TO 1.5% FROM 1.1%

Still predicting a 2 myself. The economy has much more momentum than the models assumed.
    I'm going in the opposite direction.

As a man with very significant UK assets, I hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,257
    edited January 2017

Scott_P said:

Ummm...

@PolhomeEditor: Corbyn to PLP: "We will get the results we deserve in Copeland and Stoke if we campaign hard."

Clean and hard???
    Clearly a call for all those Momentum activists to put down their tablets and actually engage with the door-knocking, pavement pounding, wet leaflet reality of politics.

I won't be holding my breath.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

Well

Still predicting a 2 myself. The economy has much more momentum than the models assumed.

Are you surprised at the IMF revising upwards? I thought they'd remain static at best.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,002
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

Well

Are you surprised at the IMF revising upwards? I thought they'd remain static at best.
    Record unsecured personal credit growth, record low household savings rate, worst current account deficit in the G20, second worst government deficit.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    RobD said:

Trump is already teeing up a Brexit reversal by saying that it wouldn't have happened without the refugee crisis. Once that is seen to be under control he can pull the rug out from under his British cheerleaders.

That doesn't necessarily mean it is the only reason he supports it, just that he thought it wouldn't have happened without it.
    Trump contradicts himself and changes his mind on a whim and without any embarrassment. I wouldn't rely on him too much.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Ummm...

@PolhomeEditor: Corbyn to PLP: "We will get the results we deserve in Copeland and Stoke if we campaign hard."

Clean and hard???
    Clearly a call for all those Momentum activists to put down their tablets and actually engage with the door-knocking, pavement pounding, wet leaflet reality of politics.

I won't be holding my breath.
    We might get a Twitter storm out of them
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    rcs1000 said:

"Asked what Trump could do to make sure German customers bought more American cars, Gabriel said: “Build better cars.”"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/16/germany-hits-back-at-trump-criticism-of-refugee-policy-and-bmw-tariff-threat?CMP=fb_gu

“There is a link between America’s flawed interventionist policy, especially the Iraq war, and the refugee crisis, that’s why my advice would be that we shouldn’t tell each other what we have done right or wrong, but that we look into establishing peace in that region and do everything to make sure people can find a home there again,” Gabriel said.

I cant help but think the German car industry will regret Gabriels statement

Diesel engines anyone ?
    If you think VW were the only people with defeat devices, I have a bridge to sell you.
    of course they werent. Much like the British banks werent the only ones making dicey deals, but the US seems to have decided it can slap fines on anyone it fancies.

Obama quite happily whacked UK companies for billions, I suspect Trump will continue the trend, offend him at your own risk.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

Well

Don't worry, you are. LOL. And if not your dad will help you out with a tip or two.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

Well

Record unsecured personal credit growth, record low household savings rate, worst current account deficit in the G20, second worst government deficit.
    I don't think that will come to roost until 2018/19. The timing will be most unfortunate for both Brexit and the government.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    DavidL said:

Surely the solution for China (and indeed, to a lesser extent us) is going to be electric vehicles. I suspect that in as little as 20 years the suggestion that anyone would ever have let a diesel engine pump out its exhaust in a place where people were breathing will seem as incredible as allowing selfish barstewards breath smoke over us as we try to eat in a restaurant does today. It will be just inconceivable.

China has a massive incentive to get on with this. Will we see the breakthrough in the east? It would not surprise me at all.

I doubt traffic contributes much to such *visible* smogs. It'll be industry.

As an example: over ten years ago a boss of mine went to a factory making televisions - from memory, they made tens of thousands a day. This was in a country not known for its environmental protections. He said he could stand at one end of a production line and not see the other end through the haze and smoke. And this factory was making consumer electronics goods!

There will be lots of factories around Beijing pumping out lots of nasties in their smoke. We reduced our environmental burden through a combination of improved legislation and deindustralisation; China cannot do the second without harming their economy, and the first may harm their competitive advantage.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,434
    rcs1000 said:

I cant help but think the German car industry will regret Gabriels statement

Diesel engines anyone ?
    If you think VW were the only people with defeat devices, I have a bridge to sell you.
    Though given the crapulence of the German manufacturers response to electric vehicles...

It consists of -

1) It won't happen
    2) Only Germans can produce proper cars
    3) Hybrids will rule
    4) If electric cars happen in a big way we will just buy the batteries and motors from China.

The Tesla Model S has smashed S class sales in a number of markets.

When the Model 3 comes online - £25,000 - how many are going to buy a car that costs £5 to fill up for 215 miles?

The German response resembles that the Detroit - the reason is simple. A huge amount of engineering, money and staff is invested in engines and transmissions. An electric car means that whole divisions are redundant. These are power centres in these companies. It's the same reason that the film companies resisted digital cameras, despite often having the best technology in digital.

The big issue for electric cars is access to the batteries at a low cost. To support it's current low rate of production (relatively), Tesla was buying the complete production run for a year at a time from Panasonic factories...

The Gigafactory is going to do something like double world Li battery production. Showing up in China and saying "I want batteries for 500,000 vehicles"... the reply will be "We need 3 years to build the factory for that"...
  • Options
    The broadcast media tonight seem to agree that the interview was useful to Theresa May but that Trump's position on NATO and Angela Merkel has left them agast.

I don't think it is wise to give a story legs but Herr Gabriel's quip to Trump to build better cars will not have gone well with Trump and he doesn't forget adversarial comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

Well

Yes but all that is what keeps the UK economy turning.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

DavidL said:

Surely the solution for China (and indeed, to a lesser extent us) is going to be electric vehicles. I suspect that in as little as 20 years the suggestion that anyone would ever have let a diesel engine pump out its exhaust in a place where people were breathing will seem as incredible as allowing selfish barstewards breath smoke over us as we try to eat in a restaurant does today. It will be just inconceivable.

China has a massive incentive to get on with this. Will we see the breakthrough in the east? It would not surprise me at all.

I doubt traffic contributes much to such *visible* smogs. It'll be industry.

As an example: over ten years ago a boss of mine went to a factory making televisions - from memory, they made tens of thousands a day. This was in a country not known for its environmental protections. He said he could stand at one end of a production line and not see the other end through the haze and smoke. And this factory was making consumer electronics goods!

There will be lots of factories around Beijing pumping out lots of nasties in their smoke. We reduced our environmental burden through a combination of improved legislation and deindustralisation; China cannot do the second without harming their economy, and the first may harm their competitive advantage.
    It will add a great number to the particulate count which is killing people but I accept that manufacturing is also a major cause. The hypocrisy of those who claimed that we were doing so well in meeting our targets whilst exporting the problem (and the jobs) to people who cared less but unfortunately share the same planet as us was truly disgusting. That dipstick Ed Miliband comes to mind.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

The German response resembles that the Detroit - the reason is simple. A huge amount of engineering, money and staff is invested in engines and transmissions. An electric car means that whole divisions are redundant. These are power centres in these companies. It's the same reason that the film companies resisted digital cameras, despite often having the best technology in digital.

The accent of the microprocessor ultimately destroyed most of the preexisting computer industry, leaving only IBM and few much reduced and hollowed out companies. I think a similar thing is going to happen to the motor industry over the next decade or so, a lot of household names will not survive the change.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    isam said:

It is ironic that, having shat all over the Middle East, the US Republicans and UK Parliament (except LDs and Celtic Nationalists) have buggered off and blamed the EU for trying to help with the casualties.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    If Trump says that NATO is obsolete could that mean the UK spends less on defence or more ?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

isam said:

It is ironic that, having shat all over the Middle East, the US Republicans and UK Parliament (except LDs and Celtic Nationalists) have buggered off and blamed the EU for trying to help with the casualties.
    It was none of our business in the first place. But you are right, maybe it would be a good tactic from those who want us to accept untold refugees to keep reminding Blairites and Cameroons that it was our interference that led to this
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Yorkcity said:

If Trump says that NATO is obsolete could that mean the UK spends less on defence or more ?

More.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

This discussion has been closed.