Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After an extraordinary and dramatic political year so little h

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Wasn't the Supreme Court supposed to have given its decision by today ?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

"the right thing to do, the British thing to do, is to fight for a Great Britain inside a European Union and don't take the Nigel Farage Little England option."

Exactly. At no point did Cameron say Leavers were Little Englanders, unless Leavers are now claiming they were indeed disciples of Farage, which some of them have been vehemently denying for months
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074

Scott_P said:

Essexit said:

Cameron called Leavers Little Englanders.

No, he didn't.
    "the right thing to do, the British thing to do, is to fight for a Great Britain inside a European Union and don't take the Nigel Farage Little England option."- David Cameron, June 2016
    I think far too much is made of this comment. 'Little Englanders' is a term that's been around for a long time to characterise English isolationism.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    edited January 2017
    Mr. Eagles, if Cameron had negotiated a deal worth the name, campaigned in a mediocre rather than abysmal fashion, had an answer at all on migration, avoided denigrating the half of the electorate considering voting for Leave or generally avoided being arrogant, complacent and incompetent regarding the referendum and the period prior (deal negotiation) Remain would've won.

Leave winning was like expecting eight heads in a row when tossing a coin. Not impossible, but long odds against. Cameron contrived to screw up the referendum horrendously. The vast majority of the UK electorate is English, so calling potential Leavers 'Little Englanders' was as daft as when Clinton referred to the 'basket of deplorables'.

When you want someone to vote your way, insulting them is a special kind of stupid.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Isam, point of order: a gaffe is an accident. Cameron made a choice, and a damned silly one.

Mr. P, that was undoubtedly Cameron's desire (for a couple of weeks he kept banging on about Farage) but it was about as successful as a broadsword of blancmange.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    edited January 2017
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

On a personal level, it is a tragedy that Gove, who was Ivan Cameron's godfather is on such bad terms now with David and Sam Cameron.

I'm afraid that says a lot about the Camerons.
    I disagree, I know a bit more about it than most, and I don't wish to break personal confidences.

Put it this way, in late 2015, Gove assured Cameron that whilst he would be backing Leave, he would not campaign for Leave, nor criticise the government.

He failed to adhere to his promises.

Why do you think post referendum Boris and Dave bonded over a mutual betrayal by Gove?
    And Cameron promised to get a good deal for Britain. Things change, if Cameron is so precious about these things he really shouldn't have gone into politics.
    The day everything changed was that day in February when Cameron came back from Brussels with his supposed "deal", the reaction from 2/3 of the Conservatives on here that day should have told him the referendum was going to be a difficult sell.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

On a personal level, it is a tragedy that Gove, who was Ivan Cameron's godfather is on such bad terms now with David and Sam Cameron.

I disagree, I know a bit more about it than most, and I don't wish to break personal confidences.

Put it this way, in late 2015, Gove assured Cameron that whilst he would be backing Leave, he would not campaign for Leave, nor criticise the government.

Why do you think post referendum Boris and Dave bonded over a mutual betrayal by Gove?
    I also have personal testimony, from someone very involved in this, and I can say that this is not true.
    We'll have to wait for Cameron's autobiography for the definitive account.
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

Essexit said:

No, he didn't.
    "the right thing to do, the British thing to do, is to fight for a Great Britain inside a European Union and don't take the Nigel Farage Little England option."- David Cameron, June 2016
    People will dance on the head of a pin on here about it, but undoubtedly it was a terrible gaffe that gave the oppo a free hit in terms of mock anger
    Mock anger, possibly (although it's no different from Leavers claiming Cameron is a Europhile, or worse).

But to be genuinely angry about that comment is completely barking mad.
  • Options

calling potential Leavers 'Little Englanders' was as daft

He didn't

He was right though, people did vote for the Nigel Farage Little England option (though many deny it, presumably out of shame and embarrassment)
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    tlg86 said:

Brokenshire confirms 2 March for the NI election.

Each time I see the name Brokenshire, I assume it is a wry alias for Northern Ireland itself
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited January 2017

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Essexit said:

No, he didn't.
    People will dance on the head of a pin on here about it, but undoubtedly it was a terrible gaffe that gave the oppo a free hit in terms of mock anger
    Mock anger, possibly (although it's no different from Leavers claiming Cameron is a Europhile, or worse).

Yeah that's what I am saying. It gave Leave the chance to say to the public "He is calling you Little Englanders".. I believe he was trying to be smart by associating someone he thought was toxic with leaving, and wasn't calling everyone "little Englanders", but it was a crap strategy that backfired

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2017
    isam said:

Yeah that's what I am saying. It gave Leave the chance to say to the public "He is calling you Little Englanders".. I believe he was trying to be smart by associating someone he thought was toxic with leaving, and wasn't calling everyone "little Englanders", but it was a crap strategy that backfired

Possibly, or more likely it made zero difference.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/speccoffeehouse/status/821048474271621121

Surely it would have been better for the DUP to ditch their leader? Damaged goods and all that.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Essexit said:

No, he didn't.

But in the quip it's England that is little, not the people. The contrast is with Great Britain.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

I also have personal testimony, from someone very involved in this, and I can say that this is not true.
    I'm more interested in the betrayal of Boris... Where was I reading that Osborne told Gove to run only to scupper Boris and not as a serious effort to win himself? Anyone know if there's any truth in that?
  • Options

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

LOL HIs autobiography is unlikely to be a definitive account, more like a self-justification. Again, apply Nietzsche quote from earlier.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    "could"

if Mrs May wants to silence the opposition all she has to do is ban the word "could" after that the remainers have nothing to say
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

That's a bit too starry-eyed even for you, Mr Eagles. We'll have to wait for the autobiography for the definitive version of Cameron's side of the story, you mean.

Honestly, I've seen it all, now. A lawyer who actually believes his own client...
  • Options

isam said:

Possibly, or more likely it made zero difference.
    Even the murder of a pretty Remain MP by a right wing loon couldn't stop the Leave train, so you're almost certainly right
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Anyway, got to be off.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Essexit said:

No, he didn't.

But in the quip it's England that is little, not the people. The contrast is with Great Britain.
    Makes it an even worse phrase to use then
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

"the right thing to do, the British thing to do, is to fight for a Great Britain inside a European Union and don't take the Nigel Farage Little England option."

Exactly. At no point did Cameron say Leavers were Little Englanders, unless Leavers are now claiming they were indeed disciples of Farage, which some of them have been vehemently denying for months
    So what would your reaction be if I told you there were two options for interpreting what he said, and that you picked the moronic one? After all, I'm not calling you a moron...
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Essexit said:

No, he didn't.

According to wikipedia (I know)...

Little Englander is an epithet applied in criticisms of British nationalists, English nationalists, or English people who are regarded as xenophobic and/or overly nationalistic and are often accused of being "ignorant" and "boorish".

• Options
    By the way is there any betting on Farage to become an MP by a certain time/or not? Or does anybody want to make odds??
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2017
    isam said:

Even the murder of a pretty Remain MP by a right wing loon couldn't stop the Leave train, so you're almost certainly right

I never thought that horrendous murder would make any difference at all to the vote. British voters are actually very mature and unsentimental about this kind of thing; they are quite capable of simultaneously being rightly horrified by the action of some loony thug, and realising that it is completely irrelevant to the question being asked on the ballot paper.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,170
    edited January 2017
    Anyone know of an ongoing medical story quite as informative and gripping as Steve Hewlett's cancer diary on pm?
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Essexit said:

No, he didn't.

Little Englander is an epithet applied in criticisms of British nationalists, English nationalists, or English people who are regarded as xenophobic and/or overly nationalistic and are often accused of being "ignorant" and "boorish".
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/little_englander

The OED definition:

A person who opposes an international role or policy for England (or, in practice, for Britain).
  • Options
    edited January 2017

RobD said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Essexit said:

No, he didn't.

The OED definition:

A person who opposes an international role or policy for England (or, in practice, for Britain).
    Can you be xenophobic and nationalistic at the same time as being an internationalist? I think they are both right...
  • Options

RobD said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Essexit said:

No, he didn't.

The OED definition:

So certainly not applicable to Leavers then who generally see an enhanced international role for Britain rather than ceding decisions to the EU.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

LOL HIs autobiography is unlikely to be a definitive account, more like a self-justification. Again, apply Nietzsche quote from earlier.
    Treachery, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.
  • Options

RobD said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Essexit said:

No, he didn't.

The OED definition:

I found find it amusing that Euro fanatics think that 7% of the world's population is the be all and end all of internationalism.
  • Options

RobD said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Essexit said:

No, he didn't.

The OED definition:

I found find it amusing that Euro fanatics think that 7% of the world's population is the be all and end all of internationalism.
    Little Europeans ;)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

SeanT said:

Talking of China, which we weren't, everyone knows I am bullish on its prospects, and have been so for ten years on this site, predicting its rise to power and preeminence when others scoffed.

However THIS gives me pause.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38587580

A five year reduction in life expectancy? People trapped in their apartments?

China will still outstrip America in sheer size, but there are the seeds of great discontent here.

It is just horrible in China. I was in Shanghai in December and only saw the sky once in five days - the rest of the time the smog was too thick. It gets into your lungs and stings your skin. When you fly out you only get above it at around 10,000 feet and then it is there spreading out across the country for hundreds of miles inland. It's often the same now in Hong Kong as a result of the factories in Shenzhen, Guangdong etc.

Those footballers going out there for all that money are going to risk serious problems. Running around in what is essentially poison for two hours at a time is dangerous.

It's absolutey awful. I was in Shanghai in the summer for two days last year and breathing was tough. The air quality is terrible. The Chinese government needs to seriously step up air quality regulation and make dirty polluters look at scrubbing technology. They also need to seriously look at clean energy, renewables, hydro and even nuclear.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    Animal_pb said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

That's a bit too starry-eyed even for you, Mr Eagles. We'll have to wait for the autobiography for the definitive version of Cameron's side of the story, you mean.

Honestly, I've seen it all, now. A lawyer who actually believes his own client...
    It's puppy love
  • Options

RobD said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Essexit said:

No, he didn't.

The OED definition:

So certainly not applicable to Leavers then who generally see an enhanced international role for Britain rather than ceding decisions to the EU.
    And by extension more applicable to "Remainers"!
  • Options

RobD said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Essexit said:

No, he didn't.

The OED definition:

Only because teh Little Englanders think England = Britain
  • Options

Is it as amusing as Brexiteers who think that closing our borders is Internationalist?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,127
    edited January 2017
    RobD said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Essexit said:

No, he didn't.

A description not a million miles away from Farage..
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/821055674146816001

Makes a change from "X hours to save the NHS".. although wasn't there polling suggesting the blue team was more trusted in the NHS these days?
  • Options
    edited January 2017

RobD said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Essexit said:

No, he didn't.

Nope it is not, but Cameron's argument was that a vote for Leave was a vote for the Little England option.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Is it as amusing as Brexiteers who think that closing our borders is Internationalist?
    Who is suggesting closing borders? Another Remaniac myth.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Makes a change from "X hours to save the NHS".. although wasn't there polling suggesting the blue team was more trusted in the NHS these days?

Labour more trusted than Tories

May more trusted than Corbyn
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Scott_P said:

... the NHS staff I spoke to when my Dad was in all concur with the complaints on that website.

Their solution for better results?

Charge or Privatise
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

Labour more trusted than Tories

May more trusted than Corbyn
    Ah, thanks!
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Essexit said:

No, he didn't.

Nope it is not, but Cameron's argument was that a vote for Leave was a vote for the Little England option.
    'the Nigel Farage Little England option'
  • Options
    Trump is already teeing up a Brexit reversal by saying that it wouldn't have happened without the refugee crisis. Once that is seen to be under control he can pull the rug out from under his British cheerleaders.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Essexit said:

No, he didn't.

'the Nigel Farage Little England option'
    Yeah, and didn't we just agree on what description wasn't a million miles away from Farage?
  • Options

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

Treachery, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.
    Ah! I see. Everyone who cleaves to the cult of victimhood is right. And I thought you were a Tory, not a LibDem.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343

isam said:

I never thought that horrendous murder would make any difference at all to the vote. British voters are actually very mature and unsentimental about this kind of thing; they are quite capable of simultaneously being rightly horrified by the action of some loony thug, and realising that it is completely irrelevant to the question being asked on the ballot paper.
    I think that's right. The same applies to the intermittent ISIS atrocities unless they of 9/11 dimensions - the reason the Berlin attacks have had zero impact on polling is I think that the Germans say "Terrible thing, but not typical" and move on. What does shift opinion is if the same thing arises day after day - the long series of days when the refugee crisis was in the headlimnes did shift views.

This is all a good thing per se - it should discourage extremists that if they commit a hoirible atrocity it has zero medium-term effect.
  • Options

Trump is already teeing up a Brexit reversal by saying that it wouldn't have happened without the refugee crisis. Once that is seen to be under control he can pull the rug out from under his British cheerleaders.

That doesn't necessarily mean it is the only reason he supports it, just that he thought it wouldn't have happened without it.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Why is it generally assumed that the Article 50 process will take at least 2 years? I thought it was to be at most 2 years.
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

... the NHS staff I spoke to when my Dad was in all concur with the complaints on that website.

Their solution for better results?

Charge or Privatise
    It will be more money for them
  • Options

is that in the same way Brexit will kill the economy ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/01/16/imf-makes-u-turn-britains-economic-prospects-brexit-fears-prove/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/01/16/british-bosses-upbeat-business-prospects-year-almost-every-major/
  • Options
    edited January 2017

isam said:

Maybe... the polls and betting markets seemed to think it made a difference. I had one of my biggest ever bets, backing Leave, about an hour before the attack, and the odds moved from 2.4 to 5 within a few days
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,723

I see that Alastair Meeks' point about the bitterness of the referendum winners is being fully vindicated here today.

Meanwhile, I've just noticed something in Phil Hammond's Die Welt interview which is important and hasn't got much attention:

We are going to serve the [Article 50] notice in spring. We would expect that we start with substantive negotiations with the EU before the summer. The treaty is clear that the negotiation of an exit agreement has to take account of the future relationship between the parties. To do that we have to talk about the future relationship. So we would expect that we would discuss the topics in parallel.

https://www.welt.de/english-news/article161182946/Philip-Hammond-issues-threat-to-EU-partners.html

That flatly contradicts the EU position that the negotiations are separate. It's also entirely logical - how can you discuss exit terms if you don't have any idea what you are exiting to? - and, as he points out, is clear in Article 50:

the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union..

I can't see that aspect of the EU battleplan surviving contact with the enemy.

There was a piece in the FT a few weeks back about each side's Article 50 strategy. Their take was that both sides have an interest in a transition agreemen to avoid disruption to their own trade. Tactically however the EU could take advantage from a last minute agreement, so those companies needing planning certainty move their investments away from the UK and towards the EU doing the interim period. For the opposite reason, the UK wants a transition agreement settled as soon as possible. That being so, the EU can say, first agree the €50 million before we discuss anything else. And then set the clock ticking.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Scott_P said:

Who is suggesting closing borders? Another Remaniac myth.
    Any attempt to have anything but completely unfettered immigration is 'closing our borders and turning away from the world'. Honestly, I thought you'd have got your auto-translator working by now ;).
  • Options
    RobD said:

That doesn't necessarily mean it is the only reason he supports it, just that he thought it wouldn't have happened without it.
    He cares not a jot and will do nothing but talk, even in the remote chance he wants to do anything, congress will kick it into long grass.
    He will have a four year tussle with the establishment and get nowhere.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    SeanT said:

Well

@minefornothing 31m31 minutes ago
    IMF RAISES UK 2017 GDP FORECAST BACK TO 1.5% FROM 1.1%

Still predicting a 2 myself. The economy has much more momentum than the models assumed.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

How long do you expect until the refugee crisis is seen to be under control, and do you expect the UK to have become the 51st state by then?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

How long do you expect until the refugee crisis is seen to be under control, and do you expect the UK to have become the 51st state by then?
    It will happen as soon as it's politically convenient for him to be seen to have 'fixed' Syria, and when he wants something from Merkel. Probably later this year.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    OT: I notice Erdogan's cleared the first hurdle towards becoming a proper dictator.

http://www.dw.com/en/turkish-mps-back-constitutional-reforms-in-first-parliament-vote/a-37141529
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

It will happen as soon as it's politically convenient for him to be seen to have 'fixed' Syria, and when he wants something from Merkel. Probably later this year.
    Rubbish, and how on earth is he meant to "reverse" brexit with or without support from Merkel?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,390

Of which you are one.
  • Options

Of which you are one.
    I backed him before his flirtation with Brexit (and his election). I'm talking about the recent converts.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,723
    MTimT said:

tlg86 said:

Each time I see the name Brokenshire, I assume it is a wry alias for Northern Ireland itself
    Yep. The good news is they are not murdering each other, and us, any more. Nevertheless the dysfunction of Northern Irish governance is total.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    How will Tories and Labour find SNPBAD in that then, will test even their inventiveness.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    I wish we had leadsom as PM right now. She would sort all this out!
  • Options
    two months , not much snapping there.
  • Options
    Ummm...

@PolhomeEditor: Corbyn to PLP: "We will get the results we deserve in Copeland and Stoke if we campaign hard."
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Six weeks, I think it's the legal minimum.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

I would have preferred a 3 year campaign myself :-)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ummm...

@PolhomeEditor: Corbyn to PLP: "We will get the results we deserve in Copeland and Stoke if we campaign hard."

Positively Delphic in its ambiguity. Only difference is Delphi used to do it on purpose.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    malcolmg said:

I make it 6 weeks. About the minimum to sort out a campaign. Do we expect any significant changes ... will the UUP replace the DUP for example? Or the SDLP replace Sinn Fein?
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Typical inefficient useless government processes, need a couple of months to max out the expenses.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

I make it 6 weeks. About the minimum to sort out a campaign. Do we expect any significant changes ... will the UUP replace the DUP for example? Or the SDLP replace Sinn Fein?
    nothing will change though , they could do it in a day
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Typical inefficient useless government processes, need a couple of months to max out the expenses.
    You'd have no campaigning period?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Telegraph article suggested balance of power would remain the same, although the Assembly has been reduced from 108 to 90 seats.
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

As above , what will change there, zilch , nada, zero. It is just a waste of time and effort. It does allow Martin McG to retire or at least take back seat.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

As above , what will change there, zilch , nada, zero. It is just a waste of time and effort. It does allow Martin McG to retire or at least take back seat.
    So what do you propose instead? At least with the Assembly they have some control over their own fate.
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

So what do you propose instead? At least with the Assembly they have some control over their own fate.
    Not proposing anything , just stating facts that it will be several generations at least before anything changes. We still have hassles in the west of Scotland with the same numpties.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Not proposing anything , just stating facts that it will be several generations at least before anything changes. We still have hassles in the west of Scotland with the same numpties.
    Well it has already come a long way in the last few decades.
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

You have evidence of that, apart from the bombing has stopped.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

You have evidence of that, apart from the bombing has stopped.
    I'd say that on its own was a major step forward!
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

He is wrong ofcourse. But that is how Americans see Brexit they think it happened because of the refugee crisis. Whilst that was THE main reason for a few it shows how little Americans pay attention to politics outside their shores.
  • Options
    Re Trump and Russia/NATO - what's interesting is how much of Congress and even his own cabinet take a totally different stance to him on these issues. http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/13/politics/trump-russia-nominees-republicans-split/

For instance Mattis - one of the few good Trump picks - is very pro-NATO. Somehow, I don't think Trump is going to get to shift US Foreign policy in the way he'd like to on these issues, with so many on his own side being anti-Russia.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Talking of China, which we weren't, everyone knows I am bullish on its prospects, and have been so for ten years on this site, predicting its rise to power and preeminence when others scoffed.

However THIS gives me pause.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38587580

A five year reduction in life expectancy? People trapped in their apartments?

China will still outstrip America in sheer size, but there are the seeds of great discontent here.

It is just horrible in China. I was in Shanghai in December and only saw the sky once in five days - the rest of the time the smog was too thick. It gets into your lungs and stings your skin. When you fly out you only get above it at around 10,000 feet and then it is there spreading out across the country for hundreds of miles inland. It's often the same now in Hong Kong as a result of the factories in Shenzhen, Guangdong etc.

Those footballers going out there for all that money are going to risk serious problems. Running around in what is essentially poison for two hours at a time is dangerous.

It's absolutey awful. I was in Shanghai in the summer for two days last year and breathing was tough. The air quality is terrible. The Chinese government needs to seriously step up air quality regulation and make dirty polluters look at scrubbing technology. They also need to seriously look at clean energy, renewables, hydro and even nuclear.
    Odd. I've spent quite a lot of time in the Pudong and East Nanjing Road areas and never found it a problem (other than on very still winters days, which are unusual). Beijing on the other hand has a real problem.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    FF43 said:

MTimT said:

tlg86 said:

Yep. The good news is they are not murdering each other, and us, any more. Nevertheless the dysfunction of Northern Irish governance is total.
    Brokenshire is 25/1 for next cabinet resignation. I thought it worth a couple of quid in view of the Stormont shambles.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

FF43 said:

MTimT said:

tlg86 said:

Brokenshire is 25/1 for next cabinet resignation. I thought it worth a couple of quid in view of the Stormont shambles.
    What would be the logic for that other than he's had enough?
  • Options
    "Airplane!" on Film 4 right now :)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ummm...

Clean and hard???
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Surely the solution for China (and indeed, to a lesser extent us) is going to be electric vehicles. I suspect that in as little as 20 years the suggestion that anyone would ever have let a diesel engine pump out its exhaust in a place where people were breathing will seem as incredible as allowing selfish barstewards breath smoke over us as we try to eat in a restaurant does today. It will be just inconceivable.

China has a massive incentive to get on with this. Will we see the breakthrough in the east? It would not surprise me at all.
  • Options
    matt said:

FF43 said:

MTimT said:

tlg86 said:

What would be the logic for that other than he's had enough?
    Ulster politics would try the patience of a saint, but it is also possible for it to go tits up over both renewable energy or Brexit.
  • Options
    Great quote from the German vice chancellor:

"Asked what Trump could do to make sure German customers bought more American cars, Gabriel said: “Build better cars.”"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/16/germany-hits-back-at-trump-criticism-of-refugee-policy-and-bmw-tariff-threat?CMP=fb_gu

A very valid point too on Syrian refugees:

“There is a link between America’s flawed interventionist policy, especially the Iraq war, and the refugee crisis, that’s why my advice would be that we shouldn’t tell each other what we have done right or wrong, but that we look into establishing peace in that region and do everything to make sure people can find a home there again,” Gabriel said.
  • Options

"Asked what Trump could do to make sure German customers bought more American cars, Gabriel said: “Build better cars.”"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/16/germany-hits-back-at-trump-criticism-of-refugee-policy-and-bmw-tariff-threat?CMP=fb_gu

“There is a link between America’s flawed interventionist policy, especially the Iraq war, and the refugee crisis, that’s why my advice would be that we shouldn’t tell each other what we have done right or wrong, but that we look into establishing peace in that region and do everything to make sure people can find a home there again,” Gabriel said.

I cant help but think the German car industry will regret Gabriels statement

Diesel engines anyone ?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    The Germans do seem to be getting tetchy, don't they?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,002

I cant help but think the German car industry will regret Gabriels statement

Diesel engines anyone ?
    If you think VW were the only people with defeat devices, I have a bridge to sell you.
This discussion has been closed.