Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s challenge in retaining Stoke Central is equal if not

Comments

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    One thing brexit is doing is bringing the remain nutjobs to the fore.

Some real bat shit crazy people on here who wants harm to our country and people.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

SeanT said:

TOPPING:

"Don't believe you. Plus I know every week there seems to be a different fad but they do say you should have a day or two a week off the booze."

Clearly you do think this shit, so you have merely exposed yourself: as another Remoaner traitor.

This referendum has been like lifting up the stone, to see the scuttling nastiness that exists just beneath the liberal, europhile facade

As for booze, I'm two glasses of Amarone into the evening. Been working hard all day. I'm stone cold sober by my standards. I'm just genuinely amazed, startled and repelled by the abhorrent bilge Remainers like you are now dribbling out of your electorally sodomized arseholes, which so closely resemble your mouths.

Amarone, profoundly bitter, profoundly delicious.
    Are ,you confusing it with amaretto?
  • Options
    Nice to see the passage of time has healed the scars of June.The losers facing up to defeat with equanimity, the winners behaving with quiet dignity and grace. Splendid - carry on.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited January 2017
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

Interesting, from the pro-Remain Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/13/eu-negotiator-wants-special-deal-over-access-to-city-post-brexit

"The EU’s chief Brexit negotiator has shown the first signs of backing away from his hardline, no compromise approach after admitting he wants a deal with Britain that will guarantee the other 27 member states will continue to have easy access to the City."

Now, that looks interesting.

By then the British banks will be well set up in Paris Frankfurt and Dublin. I got a circular from Barclays France explaining some expansion plan they have in the pipeline. I imagine all the banks have plans
    Barclays France (The bits they didn't sell a few weeks ago) has always been a French company - originally part of DCO I believe. Not related to passporting.
    Roger is determined to see the UK destroyed by Brexit - he and his ilk are among the reasons why Remain lost.
    I think it's more they hate the idea they might turn out to be wrong.
    That's true of most Remoaners, but I think some of the more deranged - like Meeks - actively want to see the country suffer, and slide into penury and famine, as some kind of "punishment" for our grievous error.
    It wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen. Every time I hear another story of everyday xenophobia it does make me wish my own country ill. Even if before the referendum my fellow countryidiots had an excuse for being so shitty, they certainly have no excuse now that they've voted to pull up the drawbridge.
    It would be the best thing that would happen. I am going to Kevin Keegan style LOVE IT if Brexit is a complete disaster.
    If you dislike Brexit UK so much why don't you move to Brussels then?
    I hate Labour UK but when they are in government I don't look to move to Islington.
    There is a difference between being disappointed in the result of an election, fearing the worst but still getting on with it and hoping for the best and actively, positively wishing disaster on the country as a result. That is even more so when this referendum was not about which party should run the country for a few years but over the very question of whether the UK could survive as an independent and sovereign nation state. In centuries past such people would have been called traitors
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/13/eu-negotiator-wants-special-deal-over-access-to-city-post-brexit

"The EU’s chief Brexit negotiator has shown the first signs of backing away from his hardline, no compromise approach after admitting he wants a deal with Britain that will guarantee the other 27 member states will continue to have easy access to the City."

By then the British banks will be well set up in Paris Frankfurt and Dublin. I got a circular from Barclays France explaining some expansion plan they have in the pipeline. I imagine all the banks have plans
    Barclays France (The bits they didn't sell a few weeks ago) has always been a French company - originally part of DCO I believe. Not related to passporting.
    Roger is determined to see the UK destroyed by Brexit - he and his ilk are among the reasons why Remain lost.
    That's true of most Remoaners, but I think some of the more deranged - like Meeks - actively want to see the country suffer, and slide into penury and famine, as some kind of "punishment" for our grievous error.
    drawbridge.
    To myour own words!

Here's some advice. Take a good long look at yourself in the mirror. Bring a puke-bucket.
    Look me in the eye and tell me that, when Labour win a GE, you don't think: well that'll show them, they won't be laughing when they have to pay more for their beer and fags.

Go on, tell me.
    No, I don't think that. I really don't. I'm a patriot AND a democrat. If my fellow Brits vote Labour, then I accept it, and wish ill on no one. I may decry their mistake, but I know they have their motives (different from mine) and that electoral fortunes will change, over time.

These fucking Remoaner traitors are DISGUSTING. Cockroaches.
    'Cockroach' was a favourite epithet of the Rwandan Interahamwe before the genocide. Rhetoric tends to reflect values; you might want to consider that.
    And Nick Farron, I think?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    SeanT said:

Pagan said:

well looks like got out just in time as they are mulling a fifth freedom
    "The Commission said a new "principle of free movement of data within the EU" should guide decision making by EU countries affecting data storage or processing."

There is no problem in the EU to which the answer isn't More Europe.
    Funnily enough, they are generally right. The solution to many EU problems - from the currency to migration to lack of democracy - is a proper Federal superstate, with fiscal transfers, an EU army and border force, EU police, directly elected EU president, and so on.

Trouble is too many electors and national capitals won't swallow this, so the EU is destined to remain this lumbering, malformed, half-born hybrid, always inching closer to union, but never getting there, as the voters suffer, unheard.

We are better off Out.
    We were always better off Out since our legal system is so different to the Latin countries. The problem is the Germans are not accepting real transfers to poor countries like Greece so the Euro will limp on as a zombie currency.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

drawbridge.
    To myour own words!

Here's some advice. Take a good long look at yourself in the mirror. Bring a puke-bucket.
    Look me in the eye and tell me that, when Labour win a GE, you don't think: well that'll show them, they won't be laughing when they have to pay more for their beer and fags.

Go on, tell me.
    No, I don't think that. I really don't. I'm a patriot AND a democrat. If my fellow Brits vote Labour, then I accept it, and wish ill on no one. I may decry their mistake, but I know they have their motives (different from mine) and that electoral fortunes will change, over time.

'Cockroach' was a favourite epithet of the Rwandan Interahamwe before the genocide. Rhetoric tends to reflect values; you might want to consider that.
    Don't smear the Lib Dem leader like that
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

By then the British banks willnks have plans
    It wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen. Every time I hear another story of everyday xenophobia it does make me wish my own country ill. Even if before the referendum my fellow countryidiots had an excuse for being so shitty, they certainly have no excuse now that they've voted to pull up the drawbridge.
    It would be the best thing that would happen. I am going to Kevin Keegan style LOVE IT if Brexit is a complete disaster.
    I hate Labour UK but when they are in government I don't look to move to Islington.
    There is a difference between being disappointed in the result of an election, fearing the worst but still getting on with it and hoping for the best and actively, positively wishing disaster on the country as a result. In centuries past such people would have been called traitors
    Get over yourself. By your reckoning every commentator at CiF is a traitor. It's called having a belief about what is right for the country. That's more patriotic than dolts wanting to brand everyone who disagrees with them a traitor.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

So can we be clear, is there anyone else on this site, apart from Dadge, Topping and Meeks who actually want their own country and their own countrymen to slide into ruin, and orphans to starve, women to be raped, etc etc, because they dislike the result of a freely-held referendum?

Anyone else want to fess up to these perverse and sickening urges? This pedophilia of the political soul?

Now is the time. Come forward, and we might forgive you this nauseating treachery. In time. Hold your tongue and be damned.

I can well imagine your long-lost identical twin Saudi brother denouncing apostates in the same colourful language. Nationalist fervour, religious fervour - it's all the same illness.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,259
    edited January 2017
    SeanT said:

Nice to see the passage of time has healed the scars of June.The losers facing up to defeat with equanimity, the winners behaving with quiet dignity and grace. Splendid - carry on.

The answer is to just ban the Remainers. They are no longer sane, and their views are genuinely repulsive to right-thinking people. They should absent themselves, or be expelled.
    No, the solution is for everyone to take a deep breath and be polite, whether or not they feel others deserve it or will reciprocate.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited January 2017
    nunu said:

SeanT said:

Pagan said:

well looks like got out just in time as they are mulling a fifth freedom
    "The Commission said a new "principle of free movement of data within the EU" should guide decision making by EU countries affecting data storage or processing."

There is no problem in the EU to which the answer isn't More Europe.
    Funnily enough, they are generally right. The solution to many EU problems - from the currency to migration to lack of democracy - is a proper Federal superstate, with fiscal transfers, an EU army and border force, EU police, directly elected EU president, and so on.

Trouble is too many electors and national capitals won't swallow this, so the EU is destined to remain this lumbering, malformed, half-born hybrid, always inching closer to union, but never getting there, as the voters suffer, unheard.

We are better off Out.
    We were always better off Out since our legal system is so different to the Latin countries. The problem is the Germans are not accepting real transfers to poor countries like Greece so the Euro will limp on as a zombie currency.
    The French and Italians increasingly look like they will disagree.

They are a different level of opposition to the Greeks, Cypriots and Portuguese.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

drawbridge.
    To myour own words!

Go on, tell me.

It only means something if it is relevant in the culture. Calling someone or a group cockroaches in Britain doesn't have connotations of genocide.
  • Options

SeanT said:

So can we be clear, is there anyone else on this site, apart from Dadge, Topping and Meeks who actually want their own country and their own countrymen to slide into ruin, and orphans to starve, women to be raped, etc etc, because they dislike the result of a freely-held referendum?

Anyone else want to fess up to these perverse and sickening urges? This pedophilia of the political soul?

Now is the time. Come forward, and we might forgive you this nauseating treachery. In time. Hold your tongue and be damned.

I can well imagine your long-lost identical twin Saudi brother denouncing apostates in the same colourful language. Nationalist fervour, religious fervour - it's all the same illness.
    Nah. Sean is hugely entertaining when he's on form. He doesn't know what he believes from one Amarone to the next. I wouldn't start comparing him to people who are serious about shit.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

SeanT said:

The answer is to just ban the Remainers. They are no longer sane, and their views are genuinely repulsive to right-thinking people. They should absent themselves, or be expelled.
    No, the solution is for everyone to take a deep breath and be polite, whether or not they feel others deserve it if will reciprocate.
    Fuck off.

Edit: :wink:
  • Options
    isam said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

drawbridge.
    To myour own words!

Go on, tell me.

Don't smear the Lib Dem leader like that
    I think he smeared himself (or was that Mark Oaten?).
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,394
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

That's
    There is a difference between being disappointed in the result of an election, fearing the worst but still getting on with it and hoping for the best and actively, positively wishing disaster on the country as a result. In centuries past such people would have been called traitors
    Get over yourself. By your reckoning every commentator at CiF is a traitor. It's called having a belief about what is right for the country. That's more patriotic than dolts wanting to brand everyone who disagrees with them a traitor.
    Statistically, there will certainly be a small (but not entirely insignificant) minority of the population whose views and beliefs fit the definition of treason.

This has been the case throughout history. Generally speaking, they've been ok so long as they don't act on them, and are caught.

Even then, in the modern age, they get off fairly lightly.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

It wouldn't be the worst thing .
    There is
    There are a few pro Brexit commentators at CiF although it is of course Remainer central but nonetheless the time for having a belief about what was right for the country was in the referendum campaign. After the British people democratically voted to Leave then true citizens of this country would accept the result and make the best of it, perhaps even argue for soft Brexit but accept the result. However to positively wish ruin on the country just to ensure it returns to the arms of Brussels identifies someone whose loyalty lies more with the EU than their own nation
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

Get over yourself. By your reckoning every commentator at CiF is a traitor.
    What? You disagree?
  • Options
    @brokenwheel That's a very astute question. We bailed the Banks out because of the systemic risk to our entire economy and society. Arguably the collapse of functioning multiparty democracy is just as bad. In our FPTP system we need a credible alternative government. Labour has overdosed and isn't ringing an ambulance. The Lib Dems have taken themselves out of the market. The SNP are fantastic but want to destroy the country. So the case for the temporary nationalisation of the Labour Party while new management is put it and a turnaround plan is executed could be made.

Certainly Labour currently meets the two criteria for nationalisation in a free society. Systemic risk and the market being unable to replace it quickly enough.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

That's
    Statistically, there will certainly be a small (but not entirely insignificant) minority of the population whose views and beliefs fit the definition of treason.

This has been the case throughout history. Generally speaking, they've been ok so long as they don't act on them, and are caught.

Is a CiF commentator who says "I hope Tory scum lose all their money" a traitor?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited January 2017
    Guardian article sounds very interesting.

Must say, at this point it's hard to see how the vote to LEAVE the EU could have gone any better...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

No, the solution is for everyone to take a deep breath and be polite, whether or not they feel others deserve it if will reciprocate.
    This is a serious question: how can you be polite to a person who wishes economic disaster on his own country - our country - simply because he personally loathes the legal, democratic decision expressed by this country's people?

This is a traitor. There's no getting round it. A traitor is like a racist: you know it when you see it. You REALLY know it when you see it. And these are the views of a traitor.

There comes a time when you just have to call it out, as it is.
    Not quite got the hang of a pluralist democracy, have you? I appreciate your judgement is clouded atm.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

That's truesome kind of "punishment" for our grievous error.
    There is
    There are a few pro Brexit commentators at CiF although it is of course Remainer central but nonetheless the time for having a belief about what was right for the country was in the referendum campaign. After the British people democratically voted to Leave however then true citizens of this country would accept the result and make the best of it, perhaps even argue for soft Brexit but accept the result. However to positively wish ruin on the country just to ensure it returns to the arms of Brussels identifies someone whose loyalty lies more with the EU than their own nation
    Same question to you as to @Casino_Royale. Is a CiF comment that wishes harm on the military-industrial complex traitorous?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2017
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

This is a serious question: how can you be polite to a person who wishes economic disaster on his own country - our country - simply because he personally loathes the legal, democratic decision expressed by this country's people?

This is a traitor. There's no getting round it. A traitor is like a racist: you know it when you see it. You REALLY know it when you see it. And these are the views of a traitor.

Serious answer - with great ease.

I also think your definition of a "traitor" is somewhat broad. Wishing ill upon your country, whilst I disapprove of it, simply is not in the same as doing ill to your country. It's the difference between wishing your enemy dead and killing them. Neither is pleasant, but they are not even close to being the same.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

That's

Is a CiF commentator who says "I hope Tory scum lose all their money" a traitor?
    Unpleasant but not a traitor to their own nation no
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Not quite got the hang of a pluralist democracy, have you? I appreciate your judgement is clouded atm.
    This c*nt says he hopes the country falls into ruins JUST because it voted Leave. Your defence of this insect says a lot. Go have a tisane.
    It's political rhetoric. Perhaps he does think that. So what? We are a democratic freedom of speech-embracing country. He can think what he wants.

I hope Chelsea FC falls into ruin. Is that traitorous?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    I've always thought that the least interesting aspect of PB is what one anonyhmous poster thinks of another anonymous poster. So "SeanT" and "HYUFD" think ill of "Topping" and "Passmore". In other news, Moriarty dislikes Holmes and Dr No takes a dim view of James Bond.

At least we vaguely know who SeanT is - some sort of scribbler of torture porn. All the others might be anyone, or indeed they might all be SeanT, giving himself an opprtunbity to vent.

On topic, I agree that Stoke is the more vulnerable of the two seats, as it's really Leave Central. A problem may be to sort out who the lead anti-Labour candidate is, as the last entence in Mike's post hints..
  • Options
    Wonder if Red Ken got a pair of these for Christmas?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38614276
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

On topic, I agree that Stoke is the more vulnerable of the two seats, as it's really Leave Central. A problem may be to sort out who the lead anti-Labour candidate is, as the last entence in Mike's post hints..

Labour could just choose a Leave candidate. If so, they will walk it.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I also think your definition of a "traitor" is somewhat broad. Wishing ill upon your country, whilst I disapprove of it, simply is not in the same as doing ill to your country. It's the difference between wishing your enemy dead and killing them. Neither is pleasant, but they are not even close to being the same.
    I would certainly not be in the least surprised if some leaks arrived in the hands of the EU negotiation team from certain 'anonymous' sources from within the civil service.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

That's

There you go then. If someone wishes ill upon those who don't agree with them it is a difference of political opinion. Perhaps it is extreme. It may well be unpleasant. But it is not traitorous.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

I

That's

That's a non-sequitur.

What I said was factually correct: betrayal is a fundamental part of human behaviour.

Anyone can betray anyone and, in every society, there will be those who will either sympathise with betraying, or have a predisposition to actively betray, its wider interests for reasons best known to, and justified by, those same individuals.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

That's truesome kind of "punishment" for our grievous error.
    There is
    There are a few pro Brexit commentators at CiF although it is of course Remainer central but nonetheless the time
    Same question to you as to @Casino_Royale. Is a CiF comment that wishes harm on the military-industrial complex traitorous?
    No, as that is about how a nation is governed not about wishing ruination on the whole nation so that it cannot function as an independent state
  • Options
    Maybe Arron Banks will fund a big Ukip push

https://twitter.com/arron_banks/status/820036982575419392

• Options
    edited January 2017
    chestnut said:

Labour could just choose a Leave candidate. If so, they will walk it.
    A LEAVE candidate like Jezza? ;)

Guess they could parachute in Dr Palmer.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I would certainly not be in the least surprised if some leaks arrived in the hands of the EU negotiation team from certain 'anonymous' sources from within the civil service.
    I'd say that's almost a certainty.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

This c*nt says he hopes the country falls into ruins JUST because it voted Leave. Your defence of this insect says a lot. Go have a tisane.
    It's political rhetoric. Perhaps he does think that. So what? We are a democratic freedom of speech-embracing country. He can think what he wants.

I hope Chelsea FC falls into ruin. Is that traitorous?
    Stop adding the appelation "tedious dickhead" to the description "happily defends treachery", which you have already so righteously earned.
    So that's a no then.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

I've always thought that the least interesting aspect of PB is what one anonyhmous poster thinks of another anonymous poster. So "SeanT" and "HYUFD" think ill of "Topping" and "Passmore". In other news, Moriarty dislikes Holmes and Dr No takes a dim view of James Bond.

At least we vaguely know who SeanT is - some sort of scribbler of torture porn. All the others might be anyone, or indeed they might all be SeanT, giving himself an opprtunbity to vent.

I can assure you I am not SeanT and I do not wish ill on them as people but it is very hard to dispute that wishing disaster upon your nation is anything other than treacherous and to your credit I have never heard such comments from you despite the fact you were a pretty strong Remainer

Disagree on Stoke though, Copeland is much closer between the Tories and Labour than Stoke is between UKIP and Labour and the Tories have increased their poll rating since the election unlike UKIP
  • Options

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Edit: although, another advantage of having May as PM is she plays her cards so close to her chest they're practically surgically inserted beneath the epidermis.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

If nothing else, tonight has been an astonishing insight into the "liberal", europhile Remainer mindset.

For which, much thanks.

I just laugh at it. I think its incredibly funny that nearly seven months on remainers are still frothing at the mouth over the decision to leave the EU...

And what makes it even funnier is that everything has gone so bloody well!. Literally in the wildest dreams of the most committed leaver, where we are now, seven months from the vote, things couldn't have gone any better.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

I

That's
    It would be
    There is as a result. In centuries past such people would have been called traitors

That's a non-sequitur.

What I said was factually correct: betrayal is a fundamental part of human behaviour.

Anyone can betray anyone and, in every society, there will be those who will either sympathise with betraying, or have a predisposition to actively betray, its wider interests for reasons best known to, and justified by, those same individuals.
    Dadge, apparently, wishes harm on the UK for voting Leave. Aside from the fact that he may be using a rhetorical device on a discussion forum, that does not make him a traitor. Suppose I said I hated THFC supporters and wanted them to stub their toe on the kitchen table. Unambiguously wishing harm on fellow citizens. Would that make me a traitor?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

That's
    Statistically, there will certainly

There you go then. If someone wishes ill upon those who don't agree with them it is a difference of political opinion. Perhaps it is extreme. It may well be unpleasant. But it is not traitorous.
    It is traitorous to wish it upon the entire nation
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

That's
    There
    Get
    S
    For what it's worth, I don't place you in that category.

My reading of you is that you don't much care for Brexit, think it's damaging, expensive and a waste of time, but you don't actively wish the country ill.
  • Options
    Pace your self everyone. Brexit is like the Winter of Discontent/Thatcher winning. Or the Miner's Strike. Or Iraq. Or perhaps even joining the EEC. We're going to be talking about it for a very long time indeed. It will frame almost everything until something as large comes along and reframes it. So pace yourselves. Chillax.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

If nothing else, tonight has been an astonishing insight into the "liberal", europhile Remainer mindset.

For which, much thanks.

I just laugh at it. I think its incredibly funny that nearly seven months on remainers are still frothing at the mouth over the decision to leave the EU...

And what makes it even funnier is that everything has gone so bloody well!. Literally in the wildest dreams of the most committed leaver, where we are now, seven months from the vote, things couldn't have gone any better.
    Just you wait!!!! Disaster is looming

Spike Milligan style 'Told you I was ill'
  • Options
    For full disclosure, I am actually @SeanT.

The other one is a pale imitation.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

For which, much thanks.

Except to true leavers like me May's government actions on Brexit has looked like a slow motion movie.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

If so and they are discovered they should be treated in the same way as Philby and Burgess were when they leaked state secrets to Moscow
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

That's
    There
    Get
    S

My reading of you is that you don't much care for Brexit, think it's damaging, expensive and a waste of time, but you don't actively wish the country ill.
    Dear god man don't give the game away.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

If so and they are discovered they should be treated in the same way as Philby and Burgess were when they leaked state secrets to Moscow
    Philby and Burgess took action against our country. Anonymous internet frothers venting frustration online have not.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

Barclaysting.
    That's

No it's not. That would mean every Millwall fan was a traitor.

You can't have it both ways. Wishing harm on a few people: ok. Wishing harm on a lot of people: traitor.

No, sorry. Logic fail.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Philby and Burgess took action against our country. Anonymous internet frothers venting frustration online have not.
    You obviously misread the context of that post, it was in relation to senior civil servants leaking key information to the EU negotiating team
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

I

That's
    It would be
    There is as a result. In centuries past such people would have been called traitors
    Statisticall, they get off fairly lightly.
    That's aame individuals.
    Dadge, apparently, wishes harm on the UK for voting Leave. Aside from the fact that he may be using a rhetorical device on a discussion forum, that does not make him a traitor. Suppose I said I hated THFC supporters and wanted them to stub their toe on the kitchen table. Unambiguously wishing harm on fellow citizens. Would that make me a traitor?
    He wishes harm on all of the UK and its citizens simply for *being* the UK and its citizens. Yes of course that is treachery. If it isn't, the word "treachery" has no meaning.

I've long despised your Remainery views, but otherwise considered you fairly sensible. This discourse is beneath you, and rather sad. Disavow this wanker, and we shall hear no more.
    Treachery by definition involves actions not just wishes.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    MikeK said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

For which, much thanks.

Except to true leavers like me May's government actions on Brexit has looked like a slow motion movie.
    Well it would have been nice if Cameron would've followed through and triggered A50 on the morning after the referendum but we are where we are and things about to start cranking up very soon!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

You obviously misread the context of that post, it was in relation to senior civil servants leaking key information to the EU negotiating team
    Oh they should be fired at least if they do that. Sorry I thought it was about online posters.
  • Options
    What if the failed care home is already in public ownership?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    TOPPING said:

You can't have it both ways. Wishing harm on a few people: ok. Wishing harm on a lot of people: traitor.

No, sorry. Logic fail.

Isn't the distinction being made here between wishing harm on your opponents and wishing harm on everyone?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

I

That's
    It would be
    Statisticall, they get off fairly lightly.
    That's aame individuals.
    He wishes harm on all of the UK and its citizens simply for *being* the UK and its citizens. Yes of course that is treachery. If it isn't, the word "treachery" has no meaning.

I've long despised your Remainery views, but otherwise considered you fairly sensible. This discourse is beneath you, and rather sad. Disavow this wanker, and we shall hear no more.
    Wishing harm does not = traitor.

And yes I am getting boring so on that bombshell..

Goodnight.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    HYUFD said:

...d to your credit I have never heard such comments from you despite the fact you were a pretty strong Remainer

Disagree on Stoke though, Copeland is much closer between the Tories and Labour than Stoke is between UKIP and Labour and the Tories have increased their poll rating since the election unlike UKIP

Thanks. On Stoke, I don't think UKIP has any real chance, but the Tories do, if they can avoid the anti-Labour vote going to LibDems, UKIP or others. In Copeland, my guess is that Labour will be OK. But I'm no kind of expert on either area.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

That's
    There
    Get
    S

I know how much you enjoy these rather pedantic debates ;-)

Don't we all?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

That's
    There
    Get
    S

I know how much you enjoy these rather pedantic debates ;-)

Don't we all?
    Bon nuit.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

...d to your credit I have never heard such comments from you despite the fact you were a pretty strong Remainer

Thanks. On Stoke, I don't think UKIP has any real chance, but the Tories do, if they can avoid the anti-Labour vote going to LibDems, UKIP or others. In Copeland, my guess is that Labour will be OK. But I'm no kind of expert on either area.
    14/1 tories on Betfair, get stuck in
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Always knew Dr Wollaston was a good 'Un

https://twitter.com/sarahwollaston/status/820055263004815360
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

No, sorry. Logic fail.

Isn't the distinction being made here between wishing harm on your opponents and wishing harm on everyone?
    No. A traitor betrays. Wishing harm is not betrayal.

Good effing night!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

Barclaysting.
    That's

There .

No, sorry. Logic fail.
    A traitor is someone who betrays their country, someone who wishes ill on the country of their birth is a different proposition from someone who wishes harm on an individual or group, distasteful though that may be
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Oh they should be fired at least if they do that. Sorry I thought it was about online posters.
    They would just be sacked, in reality.

I'm not a lawyer, but I presume a prosecution for treason would nowadays be a rather high test, probably related to the Official Secrets Act, and a bit more than just means, motive, and opportunity.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

No, sorry. Logic fail.

No. A traitor betrays. Wishing harm is not betrayal.

Good effing night!
    Good effing night to you too :p
  • Options
    Chris_A said:
    Can we swap Gisela Stuart and John Mann for Soubry and Wollaston?

Pleeease.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Indeed
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

Barclaysting.
    That's
    It er.

There .

No, sorry. Logic fail.
    A traitor is someone who betrays their country, someone who wishes ill on the country of their birth is a different proposition from someone who wishes harm on an individual or group, distasteful though that may be
    Yes. Wishing harm is not betrayal. Thank you. And goodnight.
  • Options
    What will be interesting, in the lead up to the Stoke by election, is how the Tories on here who hate May, and constantly wish her to fail, contort their logic so as not to appear disloyal. They obviously want the Lib Dems to win

Maybe it will be 'I backed the lib Dems at x/1' a la the London mayoral market which let them cheer Sadiq
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Chris_A said:
    I think a lot of what has gone wrong with the NHS is down to GP's - If you can't get hold of a doctor out of hours then where are you going to go? Hospital!

When GP's decided they would only look after their patients from 9am-5pm Monday to Friday in 2004 it signaled they are just in it for the money, IMO.

Mind you, I've had very bad experiences at the hands of my GP practice so that might be clouding my view.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

How is "wishes ill" a betrayal? Betrayals involve actions not wishes.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I would certainly not be in the least surprised if some leaks .
    You obviously misread the context of that post,
    They would just be sacked, in reality.

I'm not a lawyer, but I presume a prosecution for treason would nowadays be a rather high test, probably related to the Official Secrets Act, and a bit more than just means, motive, and opportunity.
    Well if they were leaking highly classified information to what would be in effect a foreign power in all but name that almost certainly be a breach of the Official Secrets Act
  • Options
    Again Enoch is the man to look to for moral guidance

'Edward Norman (then Dean of Peterhouse) had attempted to mount a Christian argument for nuclear weapons. The discussion moved on to 'Western values'. Mrs Thatcher said (in effect) that Norman had shown that the Bomb was necessary for the defence of our values. Powell: 'No, we do not fight for values. I would fight for this country even if it had a communist government.' Thatcher (it was just before the Argentinian invasion of the Falklands): ‘Nonsense, Enoch. If I send British troops abroad, it will be to defend our values.' 'No, Prime Minister, values exist in a transcendental realm, beyond space and time. They can neither be fought for, nor destroyed.' Mrs Thatcher looked utterly baffled. She had just been presented with the difference between Toryism and American Republicanism.'

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enoch_Powell
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Chris_A said:
    I think a lot of what has gone wrong with the NHS is down to GP's - If you can't get hold of a doctor out of hours then where are you going to go? Hospital!

When GP's decided they would only look after their patients from 9am-5pm Monday to Friday in 2004 it signaled they are just in it for the money, IMO.

Mind you, I've had very bad experiences at the hands of my GP practice so that might be clouding my view.
    When did GP's decide that?

The government of the day decided that was OK and agreed to it. That was their monumental f**k up, not the GP's.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

Barclaysting.
    That's
    It er.
    There is a difference between being disappointed in the result of an election, fearing the worst
    Get over yourself. By your .

There .

No, sorry. Logic fail.
    Yes. Wishing harm is not betrayal. Thank you. And goodnight.
    You are born into a nation, you become a citizen of it, something which now even requires an oath of loyalty to those who want to join it, wishing ill on it would be a betrayal of that citizenship
  • Options

HYUFD said:

How is "wishes ill" a betrayal? Betrayals involve actions not wishes.
    See below
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I don't think the Tories have any real strength in depth in Stoke which they do in Copeland but we shall see
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

You are born into a nation, you become a citizen of it, something which now even requires an oath of loyalty to those who want to join it, wishing ill on it would be a betrayal of that citizenship

No it would not. It takes actions to betray that. Check the definition of the word betrayal, every version of the definition requires an action.
  • Options
    isam said:

'Edward Norman (then Dean of Peterhouse) had attempted to mount a Christian argument for nuclear weapons. The discussion moved on to 'Western values'. Mrs Thatcher said (in effect) that Norman had shown that the Bomb was necessary for the defence of our values. Powell: 'No, we do not fight for values. I would fight for this country even if it had a communist government.' Thatcher (it was just before the Argentinian invasion of the Falklands): ‘Nonsense, Enoch. If I send British troops abroad, it will be to defend our values.' 'No, Prime Minister, values exist in a transcendental realm, beyond space and time. They can neither be fought for, nor destroyed.' Mrs Thatcher looked utterly baffled. She had just been presented with the difference between Toryism and American Republicanism.'

Brilliantly put by Powell, thanks for that
  • Options
    edited January 2017

GIN1138 said:

Chris_A said:

The government of the day decided that was OK and agreed to it. That was their monumental f**k up, not the GP's.
    I assume in the "negotiation" with the government at the time the GP's had their position, which was they wanted more money for fewer hours.

The Labour government, waste of space that they were, gave it to them.

Yes, Labour was partly to blame for the terrible contract but it takes two to tango and I hold the GP's equally responsible (in fact more so because as doctors they are supposed to have a duty of care not just to be out for money as so many GP's seem to be)
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Pace your self everyone. Brexit is like the Winter of Discontent/Thatcher winning. Or the Miner's Strike. Or Iraq. Or perhaps even joining the EEC. We're going to be talking about it for a very long time indeed. It will frame almost everything until something as large comes along and reframes it. So pace yourselves. Chillax.

It feels a bit like the political/economic environment in the 1970's. Or at least what I can recall about that era when I read up on it a decade ago.

I can almost imagine Theresa having to go cap-in-hand to Trump after a failed brexit.

Then a thatcher emerges...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Chris_A said:

I assume in the "negotiation" with the government at the time the GP's had their position, which was they wanted more money for fewer hours.

The Labour government, waste of space that they were, gave it to them.

Yes, Labour was partly to blame for the terrible contract but it takes two to tango and I hold the GP's equally responsible (in fact more so because as doctors they are supposed to have a duty of care not just to be out for money as so many GP's seem to be)
    I don't. Did the Labour government negotiate with GP's or negotiate with their union?

A union proposing more money for less work is not a surprise. A government saying "yes, where do we sign" is. That's entirely the Labour Party's fault not the GP's fault.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    isam said:

My grandfather worked closely with Enoch for many years. He wasn't as bright as he - and you - think he was
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited January 2017
    Duplicate
  • Options

HYUFD said:

No it would not. It takes actions to betray that. Check the definition of the word betrayal, every version of the definition requires an action.
    Under the citizenship oath now required of those wishing to become British citizens they are required to respect the laws of the UK, if there is no respect for the law which will take the UK out of the EU then that is a betrayal of that oath
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Under the citizenship oath now required of those wishing to become British citizens they are required to respect the laws of the UK, if there is no respect for the law which will take the UK out of the EU then that is a betrayal of that oath
    Respect the law means to obey the law, it doesn't mean that you can't wish it's changed or else every opposition party ever would be traitors.
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

My grandfather worked closely with Enoch for many years. He wasn't as bright as he - and you - think he was
    I have no view on your Grandfathers intelligence whatsoever!
  • Options
    Chris_A said:
    What "workload"?

When I think of the hours the GP's did when I was a kid, calling on people day, night and at weekends as well as running their practices and doing clinics morning and afternoon and compare to the hours they have to do now along with the money they receive, they've never had it so good.

GP's are laughing all the way to the bank.
  • Options
    It's a nice little turn of phrase by Powell but not, I think, correct. Values quite often to all intents and purposes die because those people that espoused them are destroyed, subjugated, or absorbed into other, more dominant cultures.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Respect the law means to obey the law, it doesn't mean that you can't wish it's changed or else every opposition party ever would be traitors.
    There is a difference between perhaps wishing to change it in future and refusing to respect it when it is in place and openly disrespecting the Brexit vote which led to it
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There is a difference between perhaps wishing to change it in future and refusing to respect it when it is in place and openly disrespecting the Brexit vote which led to it
    No there isn't, they're the same.

Breaking the law is different. Actions are different.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No there isn't, they're the same.

Breaking the law is different. Actions are different.
    There is a difference between accepting the Brexit vote but trying to make it as soft as possible maybe even at some point arguing for a return to the EU and actively disrespecting it, disrespecting and refusing to accept the legislation which implemented it and looking for the complete ruination of the country as a result of it
  • Options

It's a nice little turn of phrase by Powell but not, I think, correct. Values quite often to all intents and purposes die because those people that espoused them are destroyed, subjugated, or absorbed into other, more dominant cultures.

Yes but his point is that the values exist somewhere else and can't be destroyed.

Anyway, I quoted that because he said he would fight for Britain if we had a Communist govt, i.e. He would do his best for his country even if he disagreed with the choice of govt
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Surely William Wilberforce didn't respect the law on slavery, and openly disrespected the process by which it was put in place and maintained? Ditto suffragettes and votes for women.

I'm not drawing an equivalence between WW, the suffragettes and Remainers. I'm simply picking examples that happened with hindsight to have been on the right side of history to bring clarity to the point that dissent (even in strong terms) is not betrayal. But the same is true for dissenters on the wrong side of history.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    edited January 2017
    I hope the LibDems are in contact with her

https://twitter.com/sarahwollaston/status/820061692533018626
This discussion has been closed.