Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Farron says Corbyn’s now “cheerleader in chief for the Conserv

1235»

Comments

• Options

Mortimer said:

Could someone please clarify Corbyn's position, as of this moment, on freedom of movement?

Oh, and whether Charlie F has resigned :)

Corbyn is massively in favour of free movement but the Plebs are not and he'd like to get some Plebs votes so let's eat fudge instead.

Can't say about Charlie F.
    Jezza is in favour of unlimited migration, but not of the EU itself. Thats my understanding.
    Corrected for you
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,393

Mortimer said:

Could someone please clarify Corbyn's position, as of this moment, on freedom of movement?

Corbyn is massively in favour of free movement but the Plebs are not and he'd like to get some Plebs votes so let's eat fudge instead.

Jezza is in favour of migration, but not of the EU itself. Thats my understanding.
    He thinks it is a cesspit of capitalist free-market oppressors.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

PlatoSaid said:

I read earlier today that another 5000 Jews have left France for Israel - can anyone comment on this re trends?

Europe's Jewish Exodus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2h7ggRUFws

In addition to (fears) of growing antisemitism in places like France, Israel is booming, with great education system, high tech job opportunities, new low cost (often subsidized by the state) housing developments, with all mod cons, community facilities etc etc etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6L9mS9ti6o&list=PL73YrgSr2jIwttfD1lx4Y8QTZeUtjAyMD&index=2
    ......and, unlimited free land appropriated from the Palestinians.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dromedary said:

Off-topic, I see the Russian Embassy has been trolling the UK about us trying to disrupt any Russian/US thaw.

It raises an interesting question - what is, and what should be Theresa May's approach to Putin? Historically we have always been hawkish on Russia, always been pretty poor relations. Unlike Trump, May has no ideological reason to like Putin, and unlike France or Germany, we have far less reliance or economic involvement with Russia - hence it was us pushing hard for sanctions. So there isn't really any advantage in the UK seeking a thaw in relations.

Will May try and change British attitudes towards Putin, or Trump's attitude toward's Putin?

Hawkish? Mostly British foreign policy has been to ally with Russia to prevent the rise of a strong power in between the two territories - whether that was Sweden, France, or Germany.

It's only recently that you've had this crazy talk about the US being too dovish and imagine if Britain had to fight Russia in the Baltic on its own.
    The UK is never going to fight Russia on its own, it is on the other side of Europe for starters
    Yes, it was so much easier to get to in 1854, wasn't it?
    We fought them with the French and Turks then
    I know. Great power wars are usually fought in alliances - or at least, with the hope of bringing new countries into alliance. I can't think when Britain last intentionally fought a major war by itself (i.e. 1940-1 doesn't count as Britain co-ordinated its policy with France before 1939).
    In 1940-1 we also had a worldwide Empire on our side, it wasn't just plucky old Britain.!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,938

From the masterminds who came up with a policy of nuclear submarines without nuclear warheads can we really be surprised at a policy of controlled migration without controls?

LOL
  • Options
    isam said:

Nuttall seems hellbent on getting into Northern Labour... Ukip are holding events where members can suggest policy etc... in Derby! When I was into it all, everything was in Mayfair. I think that's all he is focussing on, rightly or wrongly

Does anyone doubt that is the right priority?

Targetting Tories never got UKIP any seats (other than defections) whereas targetting Labour presents a fat juicy target right now. Plus with the EU boil now lanced there will be even less opportunities to attack the Tories from the right but as a nationalist left wing party the field is left open currently to achieve in northern England what the SNP achieved in northern Britain.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dromedary said:

Off-topic, I see the Russian Embassy has been trolling the UK about us trying to disrupt any Russian/US thaw.

It raises an interesting question - what is, and what should be Theresa May's approach to Putin? Historically we have always been hawkish on Russia, always been pretty poor relations. Unlike Trump, May has no ideological reason to like Putin, and unlike France or Germany, we have far less reliance or economic involvement with Russia - hence it was us pushing hard for sanctions. So there isn't really any advantage in the UK seeking a thaw in relations.

Will May try and change British attitudes towards Putin, or Trump's attitude toward's Putin?

Hawkish? Mostly British foreign policy has been to ally with Russia to prevent the rise of a strong power in between the two territories - whether that was Sweden, France, or Germany.

It's only recently that you've had this crazy talk about the US being too dovish and imagine if Britain had to fight Russia in the Baltic on its own.
    The UK is never going to fight Russia on its own, it is on the other side of Europe for starters
    I know. Great power wars are usually fought in alliances - or at least, with the hope of bringing new countries into alliance. I can't think when Britain last intentionally fought a major war by itself (i.e. 1940-1 doesn't count as Britain co-ordinated its policy with France before 1939).
    Falklands.
    Argentina is not a great power.
    Britain did not fight that war by itself. It had to rely on US logistics.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Sandpit said:

Floater said:

surbiton said:

Floater said:

surbiton said:

TGOHF said:

surbiton said:

Patrick said:

TGOHF said:

Patrick said:
    "September 15. The British Ambassador to Saudi Arabia, Simon Collis, completed the Hajj after converting to Islam. He is believed to be the first British ambassador to perform the pilgrimage, one of the five pillars of Islam."

What ? The FO is an interesting place.
    The FO's job is, surely, to represent the government and interests of the British to foreigners - not the other way round. In the world today it seems beyond perverse and actually insulting to have a Muslim convert dealing on our behalf with those scumbags. WTF?
    A Muslim cannot be British ? or, vice versa ?

You are MaxPB and I claim my £5.
    I tell you what wouldn't be possible - for the Saudi ambassador to convert to Christianity and still be ambassador.
    I don't think a Saudi could convert at all. I am not 100% sure but definitely 99.9% sure. The sooner they are got rid of [ or, "taken down" ], the better.

But our Prime Ministers keep paying homage.
    Nothing to do with being Saudi.

Islam takes a very dim view of people who convert from or renounce their faith.

The Pew foundation did some very disturbing polling on views of muslims in European countries towards people who left the faith
    Muslims have converted to other religions, mainly to Christianity. Agreed it is not allowed in Islam itself.

What do you think Missionaries do in Islamic countries ? Saudi Arabia and the rest of the Gulf is a major exception.

Muslims have converted, they are very brave and some have died for their bravery.

You think Islamic countries tolerate the promotion of other faiths?

To be fair, there are Islamic countries quite tolerant of other religions. I got married in a Catholic Church in Dubai, for example.
    I am pretty sure that there are churches in every Muslim country except Saudi Arabia, our friend.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

Jezza is in favour of migration, but not of the EU itself. Thats my understanding.
    He thinks it is a cesspit of capitalist free-market oppressors.
    He does have a point!
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dromedary said:

Falklands.

Well Argentina had to rely on French missiles.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    MM (Completely OT)

I don't know whether you took a look at the Bafta nominations? Irony of ironies 'Son of Saul' and 'Julieta' both up for best foreign language awards despite SoS winning last years Oscar. Possibly my two favourite films in any language though Son of Saul will almost certainly win. If you haven't seen it and you aren't feeling suicidal you must watch it
  • Options
    surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

I read earlier today that another 5000 Jews have left France for Israel - can anyone comment on this re trends?

Europe's Jewish Exodus

In addition to (fears) of growing antisemitism in places like France, Israel is booming, with great education system, high tech job opportunities, new low cost (often subsidized by the state) housing developments, with all mod cons, community facilities etc etc etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6L9mS9ti6o&list=PL73YrgSr2jIwttfD1lx4Y8QTZeUtjAyMD&index=2
    Well yes, which is what the second youtube link is about.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

Europe's Jewish Exodus

Subsidised and with a guarantee that if it's ever confiscated the money will be repaid with interest.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,980
    TOPPING said:

So farewell then, Kempton Park.

Home of some staggeringly amazing racing notably any number of King Georges.

I remember one in particular, Dessie's last. Unshipped the jock three out, stood up and shook himself off, before cantering, ears pricked, past the crowd in the stands who nearly lifted the roof off with cheering the riderless horse.

Very sad :(
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Every country in major wars have had help from someone.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

My mortgage arrangement is coming to an end, and my bank is offering me a new 5 year deal on a fixed rate of 1.99 (less interest than I'm paying now)

To me that seems like a good offer, a hedge against interest rates shooting up in mid-Brexit chaos. What do PBers think?

1.99% bite their hand off....
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited January 2017
    SeanT said:

My mortgage arrangement is coming to an end, and my bank is offering me a new 5 year deal on a fixed rate of 1.99 (less interest than I'm paying now)

To me that seems like a good offer, a hedge against interest rates shooting up in mid-Brexit chaos. What do PBers think?

What is your rate if you just go onto variable rate?

Mine is on a tracker (coming off fixed back in 2012) of 1.99+base so been basically 2.49 and now 2.24 for the last 5 years. That seemed like a good deal to me and I don't see rates rising any time soon personally. But I don't see any risk to taking 1.99% fixed and would grab it, realistically rates can't go down any further but could go up.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    SeanT said:

That is an excellent deal.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,980
    edited January 2017
    SeanT said:

Errm

Take it ? :)

Though have a look into Offset tracker deals.

I'm assuming you're on 50% marginal rate hence anything up to 2.985% would effectively beat that 1.99%, you'd also be able to keep your cash more liquid...
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dromedary said:

Falklands.
    What made Argentina so German friendly? Just been rewatching Dexter, and forgotten it was the desination of choice for Hannah.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    TOPPING said:

So farewell then, Kempton Park.

Home of some staggeringly amazing racing notably any number of King Georges.

I remember one in particular, Dessie's last. Unshipped the jock three out, stood up and shook himself off, before cantering, ears pricked, past the crowd in the stands who nearly lifted the roof off with cheering the riderless horse.

Totally bonkers. Maybe Chelsea should sell off Stamford Bridge and relocate to Skegness.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    SeanT said:

I'm no expert but I think that is a good rate at first glance and takes all the considerable risk of the next 5 years out.

The funny thing about UKIP going against Labour is that as the Labour vote is so tribal and their majorities so large, it will take a serious splintering for Labour to start losing seats. With current dynamics, the Lib Dems may well be a beneficiary of UKIP doing this - I'm sure Paul Nuttall knows what he's doing :)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983

isam said:

Nuttall seems hellbent on getting into Northern Labour... Ukip are holding events where members can suggest policy etc... in Derby! When I was into it all, everything was in Mayfair. I think that's all he is focussing on, rightly or wrongly

Does anyone doubt that is the right priority?

Targetting Tories never got UKIP any seats (other than defections) whereas targetting Labour presents a fat juicy target right now. Plus with the EU boil now lanced there will be even less opportunities to attack the Tories from the right but as a nationalist left wing party the field is left open currently to achieve in northern England what the SNP achieved in northern Britain.
    Probably the right think to do. I think it was Michael Dugher who said Ukip got 10,000 votes in his constituency without delivering a leaflet.

Down here they should just target tories Remainers, esp those who campaigned on immigration then voted Remain (Hornchurch, Thurrock, Rochester)
  • Options

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dromedary said:

Falklands.

Well Argentina had to rely on French missiles.

Two Type 42 destroyers - UK made!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARA_Santísima_Trinidad_(D-2)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARA_Hércules_(B-52)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    edited January 2017
    PlatoSaid said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dromedary said:

Falklands.
    What made Argentina so German friendly? Just been rewatching Dexter, and forgotten it was the desination of choice for Hannah.
    Especially after the second world war?

Peron wanted to use Nazi military experience/knowledge/science in the same way the Americans and Soviets had done.

He set up escape routes via Italy and Spain based on his experience serving as a military adviser/observer in Italy during the 30s/early 40s
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dromedary said:

In 1940-1 we also had a worldwide Empire on our side, it wasn't just plucky old Britain.!
    There was also Greece (didn't surrender till April 1941).
  • Options

From the masterminds who came up with a policy of nuclear submarines without nuclear warheads can we really be surprised at a policy of controlled migration without controls?

Aircraft carriers without aircraft?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

Floater said:

surbiton said:

Floater said:

surbiton said:

TGOHF said:

surbiton said:

Patrick said:

TGOHF said:

Patrick said:
    "September 15. The British Ambassador to Saudi Arabia, Simon Collis, completed the Hajj after converting to Islam. He is believed to be the first British ambassador to perform the pilgrimage, one of the five pillars of Islam."

The FO's job is, surely, to represent the government and interests of the British to foreigners - not the other way round. In the world today it seems beyond perverse and actually insulting to have a Muslim convert dealing on our behalf with those scumbags. WTF?

I tell you what wouldn't be possible - for the Saudi ambassador to convert to Christianity and still be ambassador.
    I don't think a Saudi could convert at all. I am not 100% sure but definitely 99.9% sure. The sooner they are got rid of [ or, "taken down" ], the better.

The Pew foundation did some very disturbing polling on views of muslims in European countries towards people who left the faith
    Muslims have converted to other religions, mainly to Christianity. Agreed it is not allowed in Islam itself.

What do you think Missionaries do in Islamic countries ? Saudi Arabia and the rest of the Gulf is a major exception.

Muslims have converted, they are very brave and some have died for their bravery.

To be fair, there are Islamic countries quite tolerant of other religions. I got married in a Catholic Church in Dubai, for example.
    I am pretty sure that there are churches in every Muslim country except Saudi Arabia, our friend.
    Even in more "tolerant" states I think it is the case that you could not expect to try and spread your religion

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33480115

"That's an important qualification. As you move around Dubai, you see no evidence of religion other than Islam. Churches cannot display crosses, and those who preach publicly or try to persuade Muslims to convert can expect jail and deportation."

You think that is tolerant?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    SeanT said:

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I thought it was a good deal: I will take it!

Only concern might be that you won't be able to pay off lumps when those royalty cheques come rolling in. But it is an extremely competitive rate. Suggests the market doesn't see any real increase in rates for a long time to come.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

Europe's Jewish Exodus

Israel = size of Wales
    Arab League Nations = slightly smaller than Russia.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2017
    surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

Europe's Jewish Exodus

(snip)

(snip)
    Indeed. It's hard to see what Israel "fears" from anti-Jewish feeling in France.

In what amounted almost to ritual humiliation, President François Hollande sat in the audience at the grand synagogue in France following the attack on a kosher supermarket in Paris, which itself followed the Charlie Hebdo shootings, and listened to Benyamin Netanyahu declare to French Jews that they had a home in Israel.

I know of no parallels.

If Hollande had any backbone, he would have told Netanyahu that he wasn't welcome in France if he was going to say that in his speech; that the French state protects French citizens and indeed all residents and visitors regardless of their ethno-religious backgrounds; and that it does not accept help from foreign states that restrict their interest to assisting particular ethno-religious groups, especially foreign states that claim some kind of wardship over French people and encourage them to emigrate. In short, he would have said that he does not recognise Israel as representing French Jews.

Back in 2004, Israeli prime minister Ariel "Sabra and Chatila" Sharon called on all French Jews to move to Israel "immediately". In response, the Chirac government kicked up a fuss and said that Sharon's call was unacceptable.

How things have changed, eh?

Emigration of French Jews from France to Israel:
    2010: 1923
    2014: 6658
    2015: 7469
    first half of 2016: 1858 - and Zionists are complaining that that's too few.

Of course, in between Chirac and Hollande there was Sarkozy, who was said by Le Figaro to have worked for Mossad as a sayan.

As I have noted here before, Marion Maréchal-Le Pen's biological father, French journalist and diplomat Roger Auque, also worked for Mossad (and admitted it).
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options

MTimT said:

Dromedary said:

What time-scale are you talking about? Post Bolshevik revolution? Pre-? What about the Great Game? Was that not also the British Empire trying to keep Russia from getting a warm water port? I seem to remember something about a Light Brigade and Crimea ...

If Britain's history has been about anything, surely it has been shifting alliances, either to neuter the Superpower when that was not us (or post-War our US ally), or to retain our status as the Superpower.
    Yes. For the great majority of the last 200 years, the UK has been in opposition to Russia/USSR. The only real exception was in the early 20th century and that was as much as anything by the accident of Germany behaving stupidly rather than any fundamental change in Anglo-Russian interests. (1941-5 doesn't count as that was even more an accident of circumstances).
    I think it is fairer to say we have allied with our friends across the pond more than we have unilaterally opposed Russia. Opposition with Russia has been part of our Special Relationship. Continuing opposition to Russia seems unlikely if America thaws it's relationship. I'd expect us to have a polite indifference to Russia for the next few years.
    Britain's alliance with the US only dates back to 1940, if you count lend-lease as the effective start; .
    1917?
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,938
    surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

Floater said:

surbiton said:

Floater said:

surbiton said:

TGOHF said:

surbiton said:

Patrick said:

TGOHF said:

Patrick said:

I'll research that and come back to you with a definitive answer, but AIUI there's not many churches in the Gulf, certainly the GCC, outside of UAE and Oman.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2017

surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

Europe's Jewish Exodus
    (snip)

(snip)
    Israel = size of Wales
    Arab League Nations = slightly smaller than Russia.
    4 million Palestinian refugees = 4 million Palestinian refugees
    Land theft continues
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    "The "clock is ticking" on a Northern Ireland election following the resignation of Martin McGuinness, the Secretary of State has said."

Is he sure it is just a clock???
  • Options
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

Only concern might be that you won't be able to pay off lumps when those royalty cheques come rolling in. But it is an extremely competitive rate. Suggests the market doesn't see any real increase in rates for a long time to come.
    No, I can pay off lumps. Just can't pay off the whole thing without incurring a penalty.
    If you can't make more than 1.99% pa on your money then you should sack Goldman as your financial adviser.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116

MTimT said:

Dromedary said:

What time-scale are you talking about? Post Bolshevik revolution? Pre-? What about the Great Game? Was that not also the British Empire trying to keep Russia from getting a warm water port? I seem to remember something about a Light Brigade and Crimea ...

If Britain's history has been about anything, surely it has been shifting alliances, either to neuter the Superpower when that was not us (or post-War our US ally), or to retain our status as the Superpower.
    Yes. For the great majority of the last 200 years, the UK has been in opposition to Russia/USSR. The only real exception was in the early 20th century and that was as much as anything by the accident of Germany behaving stupidly rather than any fundamental change in Anglo-Russian interests. (1941-5 doesn't count as that was even more an accident of circumstances).
    I think it is fairer to say we have allied with our friends across the pond more than we have unilaterally opposed Russia. Opposition with Russia has been part of our Special Relationship. Continuing opposition to Russia seems unlikely if America thaws it's relationship. I'd expect us to have a polite indifference to Russia for the next few years.
    Britain's alliance with the US only dates back to 1940, if you count lend-lease as the effective start; .
    1917?
    Read 'The Deluge' by Adam Tooze.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

surbiton said:

Floater said:

surbiton said:

TGOHF said:

surbiton said:

Patrick said:

TGOHF said:

Patrick said:

Not even here,good luck to the people who leave for another religion in this country.

We haven't even got to non muslim men dating muslim women from certain muslim communities might lead to violence,well where I live it would.
    In part of my attempts to understand Islam I used to frequent a couple of Islamic websites.

The following being one of them

http://www.ummah.com/forum/archive/index.php?s=57dd7664edc5dbfc63bc531aad3382cd

I seem to recall male members of families saying quite openly what they would do their sisters if they dated outside the faith.

I recall as well responses saying essentially, you are quite right, but think who might be reading this and you shouldn't be saying that.

• Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

No, I can pay off lumps. Just can't pay off the whole thing without incurring a penalty.
    If you can't make more than 1.99% pa on your money then you should sack Goldman as your financial adviser.
    Well, yes. There's not much point in paying it off, apart from the emotional satisfaction of seeing it go down (which is not to be sniffed at)

I'm a bit shit at investing. It bores me. Also my income is so volatile, and I'm never quite sure how much my tax bill will be, so it's hard to commit.

I'm thinking of putting £50k in premium bonds, just for the lols, and because interest rates elsewhere are so utterly feeble (I do have some riskier investments, too)
    Well of course it's all down to your appetite for risk and only you can answer that. Premium bonds are certainly not the worst thing out there. I think the odds of winning GBP100,000 are around the same as that of winning the lottery (not euromillions) but then again, you get 50,000 tickets and they don't go in the bin and are used again the next month when you don't win!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

MTimT said:

malcolmg said:

Mr. Eagles, unsurprising. A natural reaction to ever more power flowing to everywhere Not-England through devolution and the kickback against multi-culturalism.

Be nice if we got an English Parliament, but I can't see it happening anytime soon.

We don't need an English Parliament.
    We already have a de facto English parliament
    Indeed, an interesting unintended consequence of SNP winning all but 3 seats in Scotland.
    Has always been a de facto English parliament, numbers are such that it cannot be anything else.
    Except a couple of hypocritical exceptions:

Labour passing English-only tuition fee rises via Scottish Labour MPs when English-only MPs voted them down while Scottish Labour MSPs ensured Scottish students paid no fees to go to Scottish unis.

SNP voting down English sunday trading laws to be made the same as Scottish sunday trading laws despite the majority of English MPs agreeing to make the law the same as in Scotland.

SNP voting down English fox hunting laws to be made the same as Scottish fox hunting laws despite the majority of English MPs agreeing to make the law the same as in Scotland.
    You expect that from labour, they hjave more faces than the town clock. On your SNP point , they voted that way because it would have affected Scotland, they asked for an amendment to exclude Scotland but were rebuffed so it became a UK matter and not an English matter. The SNP never ever vote on an English only matter but given the way it is structured there are precious few items that are completely English only and do not impact Scottish budget.
    Let us be honest - aligning English law with Scottish law was rejected as it gave the SNP an opportunity to piss off and defeat the Tories not due to high minded principles. Some would argue pissing off Tories is a high minded principle.
    Scottish Law has always been totally separate and accepting English Law would mean oblivion for any political party.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

MTimT said:

Dromedary said:

snip

snip

1917?
    Read 'The Deluge' by Adam Tooze.
    As usual - Sir Humphrey had it bang to rights

" Minister, Britain has had the same foreign policy objective for at least the last five hundred years: to create a disunited Europe. In that cause we have fought with the Dutch against the Spanish, with the Germans against the French, with the French and Italians against the Germans, and with the French against the Germans and Italians. Divide and rule, you see. Why should we change now, when it's worked so well?"
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Has Charlie Falconer resigned then?
This discussion has been closed.