Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How long will May’s honeymoon period can go on?

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012

Second, like the Tories in Copeland.

Tories + UKIP =52% in Copeland in May 2015. Labour got 42%
  • Options

No, you follow up on stories from credible sources and you make a judgement on what is credible or not. White supremacists with long track records of spreading lies on issues such as holocaust denial are inevitably going to struggle to be taken seriously. What was outrageous was how the story was downplayed when far more credible sources emerged.

So what you are telling us is if Griffin and his cronies were the only source on Rotherham then no follow up should have been required and the raping could have continued without any uncomfortable and social decisive questions being asked ? Its a view I suppose.
    Ann Cryer Labour MP for Keighley brought the subject up around the same time as Nick Griffin and still nothing was done.
    Indeed there were reasonable people bringing up the subject who got ignored.
    There were victims coming forward who got ignored.
    There was evidence discovered that got ignored.
    There were witnesses that came forward that got ignored.

None of that should have happened. If Griffin and his cronies were the only source then that means no reasonable people, no victims, no evidence and no witnesses. In which case yes I think no/minimal follow up would be reasonable. And since there were no victims or anything else raping wouldn't have continued as there were no victims.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

UKIP are not and never have been Tories on holiday. Tories = 35.8% vs Labour 42.3% in May 2015 are the relevant figures.

The rise in UKIP share in 2015 came almost exclusively from a fall in Lib Dem and Labour voters from 2010 not Tory ones.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Good point HYUFD - maybe Labour aren't the shoo-in I had imagined (and posted to such effect). It could be close ..... very close.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

UKIP are not and never have been Tories on holiday. Tories = 35.8% vs Labour 42.3% in May 2015 are the relevant figures.

The rise in UKIP share in 2015 came almost exclusively from a fall in Lib Dem and Labour voters from 2010 not Tory ones.
    Such voters are hardly likely to warm to Corbyn after his continued backing for unrestricted free movement though now are they? They are more likely to vote Tory in a May v Corbyn battle in my view than they would have been in a Cameron v Brown or Ed Miliband battle given such voters will be socially conservative, concerned about immigration and have backed Leave
  • Options
    edited January 2017

HYUFD said:

Good point HYUFD - maybe Labour aren't the shoo-in I had imagined (and posted to such effect). It could be close ..... very close.
    Yes if the Tories get some defections from UKIP and Labour lose a few to the LDs the Tories could scrape home, on a swing from 2015 matching the latest yougov it would be literally tied
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

The tragedy of Rotherham is that the evidence was there, the victims were there, witnesses were there. All came forward and got ignored.

I couldn't give less of a s##t that Nick Griffin got ignored too. The victims, the witnesses and the evidence should not have been. If people had done their damned jobs and listened to the victims then Griffin would be irrelevant as he should have been.

Well said, bringing up Griffin is pathetic - it just underlines the horror.
    The point isn't about Griffin per se, the point is that having publicly associated himself with the story the right-on* brigade then had a blind spot because they didnt want to bring themselves to agree with him about something.

We see it happen here all the time, as soon as someone seen as beyond the pale (possibly for very valid reasons) associates themselves with something, a fear of guilt-by-association takes over and everyone runs in the other direction, or unaccountably becomes very interested in squirrels.

*maybe we should call them the alt-right-on ;)
    We saw that in the referendum with certain people still arguing that anyone who voted Leave is guilty for associating with Farage etc despite Farage etc not even being on the actual Leave campaign. Merely reaching the same decision in a binary choice is enough to make you guilty in their eyes.
    "Certain people" is too easy. Name names or shut up.
    I didn't want to be rude by naming names especially if they're not here to defend themselves. I can do if you really want, I think many people will read that and think of a name but I don't personally like the idea of "name and shame" do you REALLY want names to be named?
    Well, you could start by naming any Peebies who are among their number. I find it a good rule, when I don't know all the ins and outs of an issue, to look at what the neo-fascists recommend - and then go the opposite way!

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Trump just has to put a tax on cash remitted to Mexico by Mexicans working in the USA to collect money for the wall.
    Bring it on, once people get used to moving their money with anonymous digital crypto-currencies they won't go back to using the US-controlled banks.
  • Options

No, you follow up on stories from credible sources and you make a judgement on what is credible or not. White supremacists with long track records of spreading lies on issues such as holocaust denial are inevitably going to struggle to be taken seriously. What was outrageous was how the story was downplayed when far more credible sources emerged.

So what you are telling us is if Griffin and his cronies were the only source on Rotherham then no follow up should have been required and the raping could have continued without any uncomfortable and social decisive questions being asked ? Its a view I suppose.
    Ann Cryer Labour MP for Keighley brought the subject up around the same time as Nick Griffin and still nothing was done.

None of that should have happened. If Griffin and his cronies were the only source then that means no reasonable people, no victims, no evidence and no witnesses. In which case yes I think no/minimal follow up would be reasonable. And since there were no victims or anything else raping wouldn't have continued as there were no victims.

Exactly. Nick Griffin is a total red herring. There were dozens of other credible sources. The wickedness was in ignoring them, not Nick Griffin.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    HYUFD said:

Issue will be at Copeland, who are motivated to vote. What is motivating Labour voters to vote in the seat of nuclear power in the UK, with a unilateralist anti-nuke leader? The NHS? Maybe. But an independent "Protect our NHS" candidate - a la Dr. Richard Taylor in Wyre Forest - could have a dramatic impact. My guess would be disproportionately at Labour's expense.

I am not dipping my toe in this market until we know the full list of candidates.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

The tragedy of Rotherham is that the evidence was there, the victims were there, witnesses were there. All came forward and got ignored.

I couldn't give less of a s##t that Nick Griffin got ignored too. The victims, the witnesses and the evidence should not have been. If people had done their damned jobs and listened to the victims then Griffin would be irrelevant as he should have been.

Griffin should have been listened to.

Or do crimes only count if the person reporting them is socially / politically acceptable?

Mind you, the way this country acts sometimes I do wonder.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Issue will be at Copeland, who are motivated to vote. What is motivating Labour voters to vote in the seat of nuclear power in the UK, with a unilateralist anti-nuke leader? The NHS? Maybe. But an independent "Protect our NHS" candidate - a la Dr. Richard Taylor in Wyre Forest - could have a dramatic impact. My guess would be disproportionately at Labour's expense.

I am not dipping my toe in this market until we know the full list of candidates.
    Yes, the Tories will certainly want a good local candidate
  • Options

isam said:

PlatoSaid said:

The point isn't about Griffin per se, the point is that having publicly associated himself with the story the right-on* brigade then had a blind spot because they didnt want to bring themselves to agree with him about something.

We see it happen here all the time, as soon as someone seen as beyond the pale (possibly for very valid reasons) associates themselves with something, a fear of guilt-by-association takes over and everyone runs in the other direction, or unaccountably becomes very interested in squirrels.

We saw that in the referendum with certain people still arguing that anyone who voted Leave is guilty for associating with Farage etc despite Farage etc not even being on the actual Leave campaign. Merely reaching the same decision in a binary choice is enough to make you guilty in their eyes.
    We also see people trying to pin the £350m for the NHS thing on Farage, when I think he was the only one saying it shouldn't be used
    Indeed he was because it was the official leave campaign that used that figure not his leave campaign. That's very true.

Yep - it was Tory cabinet ministers and a back bench Labour MP telling lies about the NHS.

• Options

HYUFD said:

In 2015 UKIP took many protest votes from the Lib Dems and took some working class C2,D,E votes from Labour.

In 2017 UKIP may not get as many protest votes because people have got more used to them. UKIP are seen as part of the establishment now.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

"Certain people" is too easy. Name names or shut up.
    I didn't want to be rude by naming names especially if they're not here to defend themselves. I can do if you really want, I think many people will read that and think of a name but I don't personally like the idea of "name and shame" do you REALLY want names to be named?
    Well, you could start by naming any Peebies who are among their number. I find it a good rule, when I don't know all the ins and outs of an issue, to look at what the neo-fascists recommend - and then go the opposite way!

I'll name just one then (although he's not the only one) since he's quite vocal on this subject and writes thread headers on it too but our own Mr Meeks has made this claim repeatedly. I'm not going to name any other names as I don't see how it helps and think it's rude.
  • Options

isam said:

philiph said:

philiph said:

philiph said:

Sandpit said:

Mr. Palmer, assuming the German police are telling the truth.

The spate o diagnoses whilst tasering men trying to behead other people last year doesn't fill one with confidence in the authorities to be quite as honest as they should be about such matters.

The local newspaper plus the police plus the Justice Minister plus the right-wing tabloid Bild-Zeitung on one side, Breitbart on the other. Tough choice?
    Rotherham social services, plus Council members, plus SY Police on one side, Nick Griffin and the BNP on the other. Tough choice?

It was not unreasonable to ignore unsubstantiated claims made by white supremacists with a long track record of lying. The disgrace was to ignore and/or underplay the Times investigation and the testimony of victims and whistleblowers.

It turned out to be unreasonable.

If you put all those with long track records of lying on ignore, we will be short of action on the words of politicians, police and man utd supporters to name a few.

It turned out sources.

OK

You only follow up on things put forward by people who share your views.

While I don't endorse BNP etc, I think the logic of your statement leads to a nasty dictatorial intolerant outcome.

No, you follow up ony. What was outrageous was how the story was downplayed when far more credible sources emerged.

Oh, I get it.

You follow up on accusations of child abuse from 'Nick'

That went well.

You are putting a filter on that has a political element where it does not belong.

I'm off. Moving house on Monday, stuff to do.

Nope - I just believe it is reasonable to treat racially-charged claims made by avowed white supremacists and holicaust deniers with a degree of scepticism. You clearly don't. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

It's probably worth a look on a risk/reward basis, especially when they turn out to be correct to the power of 1,4000

A stopped clock is right a couple of times a day. The shame of Rotherham is not that a white supremacist holocaust denier was ignored, but that far more credible sources were. Indeed, Griffin's involvement gave wicked people cover.

Really Southam, that's all it was?

well sorry, but - bollocks
  • Options
    Floater said:

A stopped clock is right a couple of times a day. The shame of Rotherham is not that a white supremacist holocaust denier was ignored, but that far more credible sources were. Indeed, Griffin's involvement gave wicked people cover.

You don't think ignore credible sources like the actual victims was a shame?

It's a thought I suppose.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

Exactly. Nick Griffin is a total red herring. There were dozens of other credible sources. The wickedness was in ignoring them, not Nick Griffin.

Nick Griffin was probably a part of the reason why they were ignored. People tend to assume bad motives to people who come up with the same answer as nasty people even if they happen to arrive at those answers for virtuous reasons, and in isolation from those nasty people.

People do that here all the time, its the same as saying most BNP members vote UKIP, and trying to imply by association that most kippers are fascists. Parties cant choose who supports them, and people reporting crimes cant choose who else reported them.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited January 2017
    Floater said:

Griffin should have been listened to.

Or do crimes only count if the person reporting them is socially / politically acceptable?

Mind you, the way this country acts sometimes I do wonder.
    The victims should have been listened to.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

HYUFD said:

In 2015 UKIP took many protest votes from the Lib Dems and took some working class C2,D,E votes from Labour.

In 2017 UKIP may not get as many protest votes because people have got more used to them. UKIP are seen as part of the establishment now.
    I suspect the Establishment dont see it that way
  • Options

Nick Griffin was probably a part of the reason why they were ignored. People tend to assume bad motives to people who come up with the same answer as nasty people even if they happen to arrive at those answers for virtuous reasons, and in isolation from those nasty people.

People do that here all the time, its the same as saying most BNP members vote UKIP, and trying to imply by association that most kippers are fascists. Parties cant choose who supports them, and people reporting crimes cant choose who else reported them.
    Griffin was never the original source of the crime reporting. He made hay out of the fact reported.crimes were being ignored. Had the authorities done their jobs and listened to the victims in the first place then Griffin would never have got the chance to get involved. He is a side show.
  • Options

Yep, the fact that a white supremacist and holocaust denier latched onto the issue gave the wicked and the lazy a way to play the many credible sources down. Rotherham is undoubtedly a disgraceful low point for the PC left; not because Nick Griffin was ignored, but because he was used an excuse not to look into uncomfortable truths.

• Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    Sandpit said:

Mr. Palmer, assuming the German police are telling the truth.

The spate of instant psychiatric diagnoses whilst tasering men trying to behead other people last year doesn't fill one with confidence in the authorities to be quite as honest as they should be about such matters.

The local newspaper plus the police plus the Justice Minister plus the right-wing tabloid Bild-Zeitung on one side, Breitbart on the other. Tough choice?
    Rotherham social services, plus Council members, plus SY Police on one side, Nick Griffin and the BNP on the other. Tough choice?
    I think you need to read up on Rotherham. Start here
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/aug/30/rotherham-girls-could-have-been-spared-ann-cryer
    http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2016-06-10/mbe-for-rotherham-youth-worker-who-exposed-child-sexual-exploitation/
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The old political establishment, in a post Brexit, Trump as POTUS world the forces which drove UKIP are now leading the new establishment
  • Options

Yep, the fact that a white supremacist and holocaust denier latched onto the issue gave the wicked and the lazy a way to play the many credible sources down. Rotherham is undoubtedly a disgraceful low point for the PC left; not because Nick Griffin was ignored, but because he was used an excuse not to look into uncomfortable truths.

Exactly.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The old political establishment, in a post Brexit, Trump as POTUS world the forces which drove UKIP are now leading the new establishment
    the establishments havent swapped over yet

that will take at least a decade
  • Options
    Wife is in London doing editing stuff, just nips out to local coffee house, scruffy, no make-up. Who should be in there? Only Benedict Cumberbatch.

They've met before, so she couldn't hide, had to say "hi..."

Oh, the horror. She's mortified.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Wife is in London doing editing stuff, just nips out to local coffee house, scruffy, no make-up. Who should be in there? Only Benedict Cumberbatch.

I once almost ran over Bruce Oldfield in Knightsbridge - I swerved and missed him by 2". I can still see his O face
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

HYUFD said:

All the regular bettors here have moderate liabilities on UKIP, zero on the Tories and profit on Labour.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

I get told I look like him quite a lot.. and I don't take it as a compliment!

Cant see it myself, more like Paul Newman
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,993
    isam said:

Like a corpse then
  • Options
    isam said:

Whities all the same
  • Options
    edited January 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

We have a pro Brexit PM and Cabinet after a pro Remain PM and Cabinet and Trump and his Cabinet are about to replace the Obama administration, in a decade we could have a Labour PM and a Democratic President again, in political terms at least the new establishment runs the show for now
  • Options

isam said:

PlatoSaid said:

We also see people trying to pin the £350m for the NHS thing on Farage, when I think he was the only one saying it shouldn't be used
    Indeed he was because it was the official leave campaign that used that figure not his leave campaign. That's very true.
    How quickly we misremember http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-referendum-nigel-farage-nhs-350-million-pounds-live-health-service-u-turn-a7102831.html
  • Options

German socialists want to reduce foreign aid to countries that wont take back failed asylum seekers

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/inland/einwanderungsdebatte-gabriel-csu-blockiert-loesung-bei-abschiebungen-nach-nordafrika-14608684.html
  • Options
    MrsB said:

isam said:

PlatoSaid said:

How quickly we misremember http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-referendum-nigel-farage-nhs-350-million-pounds-live-health-service-u-turn-a7102831.html
    He says £10bn which is <£200mn a week. He specifies the rebate that doesn't go too.
  • Options
    MrsB said:

isam said:

PlatoSaid said:

Indeed

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/nov/12/lib-dems-tuition-fees-clegg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/8123832/Nick-Clegg-admits-breaking-tuition-fees-pledge.html
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

We have a pro Brexit PM and Cabinet after a pro Remain PM and Cabinet and Trump and his Cabinet are about to replace the Obama administration, in a decade we could have a Labour PM and a Democratic President again, in political terms at least the new establishment runs the show for now
    changing the figureheads is only the start

the layers below need time to adopt the new realities, that means both culture and people changes all of which take time to get bedded in
  • Options
    MrsB said:

isam said:

PlatoSaid said:

You are making my point for me!! Amazing
  • Options

MrsB said:

isam said:

PlatoSaid said:

He says £10bn which is <£200mn a week. He specifies the rebate that doesn't go too.</p>
    He was claiming the UK could spend shed loads of extra money on the NHS, thus contributing to the false picture that there would be shedloads of money to spend on the NHS if we left the EU. See previous thread header for the consequences of that.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

the layers below need time to adopt the new realities, that means both culture and people changes all of which take time to get bedded in
    To an extent but the UK civil service is supposed to impartially serve whichever party forms the government of the day, hence Sir Ivan Roger's has resigned from the civil service and been replaced by Sir Tim Bristow while in the US the new administration appoints its own senior civil servants and ambassadors and the old ones will depart with Obama.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    MrsB said:

MrsB said:

isam said:

PlatoSaid said:

He says £10bn which is <£200mn a week. He specifies the rebate that doesn't go too.</p>
    He was claiming the UK could spend shed loads of extra money on the NHS, thus contributing to the false picture that there would be shedloads of money to spend on the NHS if we left the EU. See previous thread header for the consequences of that.
    He is specifically saying that Leave shouldn't be using £350m!!!

Yes it is possible to spend some of the EU money on the NHS, I didn't think anyone disputed that, it was saying £350m could be spent that was controversial

What Farage is saying is we could spend the net figure on a whole load of different things, not the gross figure on the NHS.. thanks for providing the link
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    MrsB said:

MrsB said:

isam said:

PlatoSaid said:

Well we could spend £10bn per year extra if we wanted to. That money is available.
  • Options
    isam said:

MrsB said:

MrsB said:

isam said:

PlatoSaid said:

Yes it is possible to spend some of the EU money on the NHS, I didn't think anyone disputed that, it was saying £350m could be spent that was controversial

What Farage is saying is we could spend the net figure on a whole load of different things, not the gross figure on the NHS.. thanks for providing the link
    Of course, the £200m or £350m or whatever is all dependent on Brexit not shrinking the economy as a whole (relative to what it would have been without Brexit).
  • Options

isam said:

MrsB said:

MrsB said:

isam said:

PlatoSaid said:

Of course, the £200m or £350m or whatever is all dependent on Brexit not shrinking the economy as a whole (relative to what it would have been without Brexit).
    Maybe. I suppose it could be more if the economy grew because of it as well.

Lets not bother eh?
  • Options
    MrsB said:

MrsB said:

isam said:

PlatoSaid said:

There will be shed loads of money our net contribution is £10bn a year!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The first of the new realities that will come as a shock to some will be the lack of synergy between Trump and Brexit.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

HYUFD said:

http://labourlist.org/2017/01/exclusive-the-runners-and-riders-in-contest-to-be-labours-copeland-candidate/

Both the frontrunners are well known local councillors, pro nuclear with long track records of campaigning on health issues. Both look formidable.
  • Options

MrsB said:

MrsB said:

isam said:

PlatoSaid said:

Provided the economy grows at the same rate.

To my mind markets and consumers work on very short horizons. The dip in the markets in Late June had recovered in a few months, but I expect that the ssme will happen again when A50 actually happens.

In reality Foxy's economic dictum applies : Things are never as bad as predicted nor as good as predicted
  • Options

MrsB said:

To my mind markets and consumers work on very short horizons. The dip in the markets in Late June had recovered in a few months, but I expect that the ssme will happen again when A50 actually happens.

In reality Foxy's economic dictum applies : Things are never as bad as predicted nor as good as predicted
    Albeit post Brexit the economy grew faster than predicted in 2016 if we voted Remain let alone Leave. If that continues there will be far more than just £10bn.
  • Options

MrsB said:

Albeit post Brexit the economy grew faster than predicted in 2016 if we voted Remain let alone Leave. If that continues there will be far more than just £10bn.
    We haven't Brexited yet...

But we do not know yet what the economic growth will be and can never test the counterfactual.

Brexit will be like Stalins five year plan, declared a success, over a pile of (political) graves. History is written by the winners.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

http://labourlist.org/2017/01/exclusive-the-runners-and-riders-in-contest-to-be-labours-copeland-candidate/

Both the frontrunners are well known local councillors, pro nuclear with long track records of campaigning on health issues. Both look formidable.
    And both have that squawking Labour albatross around their necks.

Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

You think Mexico is going to win in a game of hardball with Trump ?

The wall will not be hardball.

The wall is now a fence anyways and some areas you have o use your imagination.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Ivan Rogers quits the civil service altogether.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38542076

Perhaps the Lib Dems should see if he's interested in being a candidate?
  • Options
    Are we still allowed to talk about Brexit? There were calls by some Leavers on here the other day that discussion of it should be licensed.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited January 2017
    nunu said:

It's an old-fashioned shake-down. Mexico cannot (politically) and will not fund the wall.

Also: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1iNrdtXAAUv1e2.jpg
  • Options

HYUFD said:

And both have that squawking Labour albatross around their necks.

Jeremy Corbyn.
    Troughton campaigned for Owen Smith.
  • Options

MrsB said:

But we do not know yet what the economic growth will be and can never test the counterfactual.

Brexit will be like Stalins five year plan, declared a success, over a pile of (political) graves. History is written by the winners.
    We have voted to Brexit and the now demonstrated to be fallacious claim was an immediate slump (and emergency budget) after the vote - not years later when we actually Brexit. A vote was supposed to be enough to crash confidence and thus the economy.

Which is now demonstrably wrong.
  • Options

MrsB said:

We have voted to Brexit and the now demonstrated to be fallacious claim was an immediate slump (and emergency budget) after the vote - not years later when we actually Brexit. A vote was supposed to be enough to crash confidence and thus the economy.

The only definite effect so far is the devaluation of Sterling. That much I agree.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

nunu said:

It's an old-fashioned shake-down. Mexico cannot (politically) and will not fund the wall.
    A trade war would be hard to confine to the US Southern border, and is already having effect.
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2017/01/daily-chart-2
  • Options

MrsB said:

After Cameron left without invoking Article 50 the rest of the world concluded that it might never happen.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Anorak said:

nunu said:

A trade war would be hard to confine to the US Southern border, and is already having effect.
    Yep, Texas, California and Arizona will be disproportionately hit, but the effect will be felt across large swathes of the US beyond that. Alaska and Hawaii probably immune!
  • Options
  • Options

MrsB said:

The only definite effect so far is the devaluation of Sterling. That much I agree.
    And on that Brexit-based devaluation of sterling, do we think the French and Germans are going

a) Ha! That showed the Brits!

or

b) Bastards!!!
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    The Ft. Lauderdale shooting was staged apperently.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFU0qlAmfRo&t=127s
  • Options

MrsB said:

PB's own medical examiner got the cause of death wrong - the patient is alive, well and chirpy - yet he refuses to accept it - and still wants him buried.

Ring that bell :wink:

"The fear of being buried alive peaked during the cholera epidemics of the 18th and 19th centuries but accounts of live burial have been recorded even further back. When his tomb was reopened, the philosopher John Duns Scotus (1266 – 1308) was reportedly found outside his coffin with his hands torn and bloody after attempting to escape. The fears of being buried alive were heightened by reports of doctors and accounts in literature and the newspapers. As well as dealing with the subject in "The Fall of the House of Usher" and "The Cask of Amontillado", Edgar Allan Poe wrote "The Premature Burial", which was published in 1844. It contained accounts of supposedly genuine cases of premature burial as well as detailing the narrator's own (perceived) interment while still alive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_coffin
  • Options

MrsB said:

And on that Brexit-based devaluation of sterling, do we think the French and Germans are going

or

b) Bastards!!!
    Neither, I expect

Though it obviously means earning in pounds is worth less compared to $ € CHF and ¥. This may make a difference to where mobile people want to work, whether financiers or cabbage pickers. Devaluation is not a sign of economic strength, but usually a correction showing overall lack of economic potential.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Anorak said:

nunu said:

Oh God. I've just remembered I've got a £10 1846/1 double on trump winning and then declaring war on mexico.

That's probably down to 50/1 now.

Please no.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options

MrsB said:

or

b) Bastards!!!
    Neither, I expect

Though it obviously means earning in pounds is worth less compared to $ € CHF and ¥. This may make a difference to where mobile people want to work, whether financiers or cabbage pickers. Devaluation is not a sign of economic strength, but usually a correction showing overall lack of economic potential.
    Shame that the Southern European economies are being wrecked because the Euro is run to suit Germany.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Good afternoon, everyone.

Out of curiosity - and many years after the thought first occurred - are you actually a morris dancer, or is it just a whimsical handle chosen for this forum?

And good afternoon!
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited January 2017

MrsB said:

Plus the increase in consumer confidence and the increase oin the purchasing managers' indices and the increase in overseas investment into the UK.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2017
    I see the British red cross is having a "back to Wigan pier" moment.

It might get a cheap headline, but it is just insulting in genuine crisis e.g. Syria and actually harms any sensible debate.
  • Options

MrsB said:

After Cameron left without invoking Article 50 the rest of the world concluded that it might never happen.
    LOL - that must be it !

You show a huge capacity for self delusion.
  • Options
    Mr. Anorak, the sight of my wiffle stick being waved gaily through England's merry streets brings smiles to the faces of all who delight in its presence.

[I am not a morris dancer. I wanted a name that was both unmistakably British, yet also quite silly].
  • Options

MrsB said:

Yet I can remember lower rates of exchanges in last 10 years..........

I don't recall the end of the world then or even a massive spike in inflation.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

MrsB said:

PB's own medical examiner got the cause of death wrong - the patient is alive, well and chirpy - yet he refuses to accept it - and still wants him buried.

"The fear of being buried alive peaked during the cholera epidemics of the 18th and 19th centuries but accounts of live burial have been recorded even further back. When his tomb was reopened, the philosopher John Duns Scotus (1266 – 1308) was reportedly found outside his coffin with his hands torn and bloody after attempting to escape. The fears of being buried alive were heightened by reports of doctors and accounts in literature and the newspapers. As well as dealing with the subject in "The Fall of the House of Usher" and "The Cask of Amontillado", Edgar Allan Poe wrote "The Premature Burial", which was published in 1844. It contained accounts of supposedly genuine cases of premature burial as well as detailing the narrator's own (perceived) interment while still alive.

And still very much a modern fascination: see the 1988 Dutch film "The Vanishing" (but NOT the English remake - truly awful what they did to that!!)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,002
    PlatoSaid said:

MrsB said:

Things are never as bad as predicted nor as good as predicted

Isn’t premature burial supposed to have contributed to the vampire myth; scratch marks on the inside of the coffin, when the corpses of those suspected were examined?
  • Options

Mr. Anorak, the sight of my wiffle stick being waved gaily through England's merry streets brings smiles to the faces of all who delight in its presence.

[I am not a morris dancer. I wanted a name that was both unmistakably British, yet also quite silly].

I was 80% sure that was the case, but thought I'd check. Not that there is anything wrong with being a morris dancer, obviously.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Anorak said:

nunu said:

Oh God. I've just remembered I've got a £10 1846/1 double on trump winning and then declaring war on mexico.

Please no.
    presumably that bet requires a real rather than trade war!

Though check the fine print. As I recall only Congress can declare war, though Trump will be Commander in chief. An undeclared military war may not count. Formal declarations ofwar are so mid 20th century.
  • Options

MrsB said:

Shhh don't start Scott off again. :-)
  • Options
    Pong said:

Anorak said:

nunu said:

Please no.
    How is ‘war’ defined?
  • Options

Ivan Rogers quits the civil service altogether.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38542076

Perhaps the Lib Dems should see if he's interested in being a candidate?

Well, he is an older white male who prefers the EU to his own countries interests.

Perfect match!
  • Options

MrsB said:

Plus the increase in consumer confidence and the increase oin the purchasing managers' indices and the increase in overseas investment into the UK.
    let's not forget those best ever car sales
  • Options
    edited January 2017

From wiki: The term morris is believed to be from the late Middle English word morys, a variant of the word moorish – from the Moors of Morocco.

Maybe not so British ;)

Although the penchant for blacking up does seem a particularly English affectation. Well pre-1980 England, anyway.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,723

MrsB said:

Plus the increase in consumer confidence and the increase oin the purchasing managers indices and the increase in overseas investment into the UK.
    Are you sure about the increase in investment? The figures I saw showed a decrease. Consumer confidence is holding up, but as it's credit fuelled it isn't sustainable.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

Anorak said:

nunu said:

Trump doesn't really need a full blown trade war. Given that economic statistics are pretty easy to fudge, that Trump has apparently little problem in telling bare faced lies, and often suffers little negative effects from doing so, I expect him to claim victory on this point irrespective of the facts.
    More importantly, Obama's economic legacy is pretty decent, and stuff is happening completely independently of anything Trump will do which will significantly benefit US manufacturing jobs - for example:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-04/tesla-flips-the-switch-on-the-gigafactory

Trump is (IMO) a horse's ass, and likely a blunderer as President,but I do not write off the possibility of a second term.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Your claim is certainly demonstrably wrong

So let's propose an experiment.

You claim triggering Article 50 was/is irrelevant to the market reaction.

Assuming we trigger in March (and I am not sure we will), will you stand by your assertion that it will have zero market impact?
  • Options

Floater said:

That whistling sound you heard was you missing the point in a rather spectacular fashion.

You obviously didn't think, I suppose.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

MrsB said:

Plus the increase in consumer confidence and the increase oin the purchasing managers indices and the increase in overseas investment into the UK.
    Are you sure about the increase in investment? The figures I saw showed a decrease. Consumer confidence is holding up, but as it's credit fuelled it isn't sustainable.
    but as it's credit fuelled it isn't sustainable.

you mean like the UK economy for the last 30 years ?
  • Options
    Mr. Anorak, well, the word Blighty is ultimately of Arabic derivation, I believe.

Most words and customs have long roots.
  • Options

MrsB said:

Buy before the price goes up. Like any imprt the new stock will be more expensive.

There is a certain End of the Century bubble feeling in the air. I think that we are seeing the end of the long 20th Century.

• Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:

That whistling sound you heard was you missing the point in a rather spectacular fashion.

You obviously didn't think, I suppose.
    I thought it was the noise made by the wind blowing in your left ear and straight out of the right one.
  • Options

MrsB said:

Buy before the price goes up. Like any imprt the new stock will be more expensive.

There is a certain End of the Century bubble feeling in the air. I think that we are seeing the end of the long 20th Century.

Good.

Imports down. balance of payments up

next
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Mr. Anorak, well, the word Blighty is ultimately of Arabic derivation, I believe.

Just tweaking your nose, old bean. London is a name of Roman origin, after all. York is from Old Norse, etc, etc. A country named by its European conquerors!
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited January 2017

Pong said:

Anorak said:

nunu said:

Please no.
    How is ‘war’ defined?
    By Tony Gallagher, or whoever writes the Sun's headlines.

The bet was laid by the sun newspaper's very own bookmaker. I'd be surprised if they argued on a technicality. Not paying out would cost them more than paying out.

I really hope it won't come to that though.

For the sake of the Mexicans.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Just tweaking your nose, old, bean. London is a name of Roman origin, after all. York is from Old Norse, etc, etc. A country named by its European conquerors!
    Isn’t Blighty Hindi? And wasn’t there a British settlement in the Lomndon are, pre-Roman?
  • Options

MrsB said:

Good.

Imports down. balance of payments up

next
    It very much depends on price elasticity. If demand for BMW's goes down 10% but the price goes up by 10%, the balance of payments remains much the same. We just are denied the benefits of new cars...
  • Options
    Mr. Anorak, York was Eboracum, a Roman city (then Eoferwic, Jorvik and York).

King Cole, you might be right. Sometimes such confusions occur (such as so-called Arabic numerals/numbers, which are really Indian).
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Anorak said:

Just tweaking your nose, old, bean. London is a name of Roman origin, after all. York is from Old Norse, etc, etc. A country named by its European conquerors!
    Isn’t Blighty Hindi? And wasn’t there a British settlement in the Lomndon are, pre-Roman?
    Not sure there was, not of any note in any case. This is rather heartening, though:
    Although there is evidence of scattered Brythonic settlements in the area, the first major settlement was founded by the Romans after the invasion of 43 AD. This lasted only until around 61, when the Iceni tribe led by Queen Boudica stormed it, burning it to the ground.
This discussion has been closed.