Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How long will May’s honeymoon period can go on?

Comments

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited January 2017

Mr. Anorak, York was Eboracum, a Roman city (then Eoferwic, Jorvik and York).

King Cole, you might be right. Sometimes such confusions occur (such as so-called Arabic numerals/numbers, which are really Indian).

I meant the name was Norse, not the settlement. York, in one incarnation or another, has been there for millennia. It's been on the wrong side of the Pennines for just as long.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    edited January 2017

MrsB said:

He was claiming the UK could spend shed loads of extra money on the NHS, thus contributing to the false picture that there would be shedloads of money to spend on the NHS if we left the EU. See previous thread header for the consequences of that.

There will be shed loads of money our net contribution is £10bn a year!
    Provided the economy grows at the same rate.

To my mind markets and consumers work on very short horizons. The dip in the markets in Late June had recovered in a few months, but I expect that the ssme will happen again when A50 actually happens.

In reality Foxy's economic dictum applies : Things are never as bad as predicted nor as good as predicted
    Albeit post Brexit the economy grew faster than predicted in 2016 if we voted Remain let alone Leave. If that continues there will be far more than just £10bn.
    We haven't Brexited yet...

But we do not know yet what the economic growth will be and can never test the counterfactual.

Brexit will be like Stalins five year plan, declared a success, over a pile of (political) graves. History is written by the winners.
    We have voted to Brexit and the now demonstrated to be fallacious claim was an immediate slump (and emergency budget) after the vote - not years later when we actually Brexit. A vote was supposed to be enough to crash confidence and thus the economy.

Which is now demonstrably wrong.
    The only definite effect so far is the devaluation of Sterling. That much I agree.
    Plus the increase in consumer confidence and the increase oin the purchasing managers' indices and the increase in overseas investment into the UK.
    let's not forget those best ever car sales
    Buy before the price goes up. Like any imprt the new stock will be more expensive.

There is a certain End of the Century bubble feeling in the air. I think that we are seeing the end of the long 20th Century.

Good.

Imports down. balance of payments up

next
    It very much depends on price elasticity. If demand for BMW's goes down 10% but the price goes up by 10%, the balance of payments remains much the same. We just are denied the benefits of new cars...
    straw clutching

we would sell more of our own production

buy a Jag
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Mr. Anorak, well, the word Blighty is ultimately of Arabic derivation, I believe.

Most words and customs have long roots.

Just tweaking your nose, old, bean. London is a name of Roman origin, after all. York is from Old Norse, etc, etc. A country named by its European conquerors!
    Isn’t Blighty Hindi? And wasn’t there a British settlement in the Lomndon are, pre-Roman?
    Not sure there was, not of any note in any case. This is rather heartening, though:
    Although there is evidence of scattered Brythonic settlements in the area, the first major settlement was founded by the Romans after the invasion of 43 AD. This lasted only until around 61, when the Iceni tribe led by Queen Boudica stormed it, burning it to the ground.
    Norfolk girls at it. And people complain about Essex Girls!
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    We clearly need a macro* here, we waste inordinate time going around the same loop every day, perhaps when someone posts "BrExit" we can all mentally insert

1) Arguments about whether the Leave win was by a significant amount
    2) Arguments about whether the treasury economic forecast assumed Cameron would trigger Article 50 immediately or not
    3) Arguments about whether the 350m was an appropriate figure to use or not
    4) Arguments about whether the 350m should be available to spend before we have left
    5) Arguments about whether Farage supported the 350m
    6) Arguments about whether any currency/market changes are due to Brexit (in view of it not having happened yet)
    7) Arguments about whether the currency/market changes are just a foretaste of what will happen when we trigger Article 50
    8) Arguments about whether Article 50 will be reversible
    9) Arguments about whether Article 50 is covered by prerogative
    10) Arguments about whether Tory donors will walk off in a huff and let Corbyn become PM
    11) Arguments about whether Mr May is actually the female personification of a crap male Labour leader of your choice (Poundshop of otherwise)
    12) Arguments about whether the SCUK are a bunch of closet europhiles

That will save us all reading through substantially the same 200 posts every day, and take a nice load off the servers, not to mention stop half the posters here throwing up their hands in despair and deciding to defect to theguardian.com, Liberal Voice, or conhome (delete according to political taste)

For bonus points, assume half the posts you make will receive as an answer one of "but we havent left yet" or "that is what the alt-right always say" or "but Jeremy Corbyn" and save people the inconvenience of having to post it several times in response. :wink:

* Computing: a single instruction that expands automatically into a set of instructions to perform a particular task.
  • Options

We clearly need a macro* here, we waste inordinate time going around the same loop every day, perhaps when someone posts "BrExit" we can all mentally insert

1) Arguments about whether the Leave win was by a significant amount
    2) Arguments about whether the treasury economic forecast assumed Cameron would trigger Article 50 immediately or not
    3) Arguments about whether the 350m was an appropriate figure to use or not
    4) Arguments about whether the 350m should be available to spend before we have left
    5) Arguments about whether Farage supported the 350m
    6) Arguments about whether any currency/market changes are due to Brexit (in view of it not having happened yet)
    7) Arguments about whether the currency/market changes are just a foretaste of what will happen when we trigger Article 50
    8) Arguments about whether Article 50 will be reversible
    9) Arguments about whether Article 50 is covered by prerogative
    10) Arguments about whether Tory donors will walk off in a huff and let Corbyn become PM
    11) Arguments about whether Mr May is actually the female personification of a crap male Labour leader of your choice (Poundshop of otherwise)
    12) Arguments about whether the SCUK are a bunch of closet europhiles

That will save us all reading through substantially the same 200 posts every day, and take a nice load off the servers, not to mention stop half the posters here throwing up their hands in despair and deciding to defect to theguardian.com, Liberal Voice, or conhome (delete according to political taste)

For bonus points, assume half the posts you make will receive as an answer one of "but we havent left yet" or "that is what the alt-right always say" or "but Jeremy Corbyn" and save people the inconvenience of having to post it several times in response. :wink:

* Computing: a single instruction that expands automatically into a set of instructions to perform a particular task.

Leavers = Professor Pangloss
    Remainers = Private Frazer

Rinse and repeat.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Anorak, blasphemy. York has always been on the blessed side of the Pennines. It has never been in Mordor.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

buy a Jag

Here in the U.S., the window sticker is required to show the origin of the car and it's parts[*]. On mine (a 25t/240ps), it lists them as (from memory)

Germany: 62%
    UK: 31%
    USA/Canada: 5%

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

MrsB said:

He was claiming the UK could spend shed loads of extra money on the NHS, thus contributing to the false picture that there would be shedloads of money to spend on the NHS if we left the EU. See previous thread header for the consequences of that.

To my
    Albeit post Brexit the economy grew faster than predicted in 2016 if we voted Remain let alone Leave. If continues there will be far more than just £10bn.

But we do not know yet what the economic growth will be and can never test the counterfactual.

Brexit will be like Stalins five year plan, declared a success, over a pile of (political) graves. History is written by the winners.
    We have voted to Brexit
    The only definite effect so far is the devaluation of Sterling. That much I agree.
    Plus the increase in consumer confidence and the increase oin the purchasing managers' indices and the increase in overseas investment into the UK.
    Buy before the price goes up. Like any imprt the new stock will be more expensive.

There is a certain End of the Century bubble feeling in the air. I think that we are seeing the end of the long 20th Century.

Good.

next
    It very much depends on price elasticity. If demand for BMW's goes down 10% but the price goes up by 10%, the balance of payments remains much the same. We just are denied the benefits of new cars...
    straw clutching

buy a Jag
    The effect on the balance of payments would be as I said, more or less neutral depending on elasticity of price and demand.

No JLR for me. I don't think I would buy any British made car as none suit my requirements. I quite like my Polish made Fiat 500. If I were to replace it, I would probably go for either an Audi, Subaru or Toyota.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Scott_P said:

buy a Jag

Here in the U.S., the window sticker is required to show the origin of the car and it's parts[*]. On mine (a 25t/240ps), it lists them as (from memory)

31% U.K for a jag. More than I thought.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

buy a Jag

ah

maybe that explains your problem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley,_Massachusetts
  • Options

Mr. Anorak, blasphemy. York has always been on the blessed side of the Pennines. It has never been in Mordor.

Mordor was to the East of the Mountains of Shadow. Just sayin'.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

Trump just has to put a tax on cash remitted to Mexico by Mexicans working in the USA to collect money for the wall.
    He could tax all remittances from foreigners in the US sending money abroad, but he couldn't just do to for Mexicans, or he would fail the 'non discriminatory' clauses of the WTO Treaties*.

Ultimately, though, taxes on remittances by individuals are incredibly circumvent-able. If you believe that the Trump administration will attempt to tax remittances, buy Bitcoin.

* Of course, the US could be planning to repudiate the WTO Treaties. I would not regard that as a positive.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,628

Anorak said:

Mr. Anorak, well, the word Blighty is ultimately of Arabic derivation, I believe.

Just tweaking your nose, old, bean. London is a name of Roman origin, after all. York is from Old Norse, etc, etc. A country named by its European conquerors!
    Isn’t Blighty Hindi? And wasn’t there a British settlement in the Lomndon are, pre-Roman?
    Blighty is derived from a Hindi / Punjabi word meaning 'abroad'.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Scott_P said:

buy a Jag

The profits go to India of course...
  • Options

MrsB said:

To my
    Albeit post Brexit the economy grew faster than predicted in 2016 if we voted Remain let alone Leave. If continues there will be far more than just £10bn.
    We haven't Brexited ye five year plan, declared a success, over a pile of (political) graves. History is written by the winners.
    We have voted to Brexit
    Buy before the price goes up. Like any imprt th Century.

Good.

next
    straw clutching

buy a Jag
    The effect on the balance of payments would be as I said, more or less neutral depending on elasticity of price and demand.

No JLR for me. I don't think I would buy any British made car as none suit my requirements. I quite like my Polish made Fiat 500. If I were to replace it, I would probably go for either an Audi, Subaru or Toyota.
    as ever, english middle classes wont support their own industries, it's the cultural cringe factor

meanwhile in France or Germany you;d been seen as weirdo for not putting something back in to your own community

ho hum
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

buy a Jag

Those numbers are all - to a greater or lesser extent - bullshit.

So, your chassis was made in the UK of steel. Now: does it matter where the steel came from? Or just where it was bent into shape. If we're including the steel, do we measure where the iron ore came from?

Calculating the exact proportion of value add is incredibly, mind numbingly, difficult.
  • Options

nunu said:

Scott_P said:

buy a Jag

The profits go to India of course...
    last time I looked they paid their taxes in the UK and had just slammed £1billion into an engine factory in Wolverhampton.

I suppose somebody has to pay for the NHS
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Mr. Anorak, York was Eboracum, a Roman city (then Eoferwic, Jorvik and York).

King Cole, you might be right. Sometimes such confusions occur (such as so-called Arabic numerals/numbers, which are really Indian).

I meant the name was Norse, not the settlement. York, in one incarnation or another, has been there for millennia. It's been on the wrong side of the Pennines for just as long.
    In Norse it was Jorvik from memory?
  • Options

as ever, english middle classes wont support their own industries, it's the cultural cringe factor

meanwhile in France or Germany you;d been seen as weirdo for not putting something back in to your own community

ho hum

So, did you spend extra an get a British made smartphone?
    What about your HiFi? Did you seek out a British manufacturer?
    What about your computer: are you writing this on a Raspberry Pi to ensure you are supporting British industry?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Trump just has to put a tax on cash remitted to Mexico by Mexicans working in the USA to collect money for the wall.
    He could tax all remittances from foreigners in the US sending money abroad, but he couldn't just do to for Mexicans, or he would fail the 'non discriminatory' clauses of the WTO Treaties*.

Ultimately, though, taxes on remittances by individuals are incredibly circumvent-able. If you believe that the Trump administration will attempt to tax remittances, buy Bitcoin.

* Of course, the US could be planning to repudiate the WTO Treaties. I would not regard that as a positive.
    More than 95% of bitcoin transactions occur in China, not sure that is a recipe for a happy and stable future

http://data.bitcoinity.org/markets/volume/30d?c=e&t=bar
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ho hum

What about your computer: are you writing this on a Raspberry Pi to ensure you are supporting British industry?
    I dont have a smartphone
    I dont have a hifi - except one that is maybe 20 years old
    I.m not aware the UK makes computers - what's a raspberry ?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074

rcs1000 said:

ho hum

I dont have a smartphone
    The perfect consumer profile to support the British technology industry!?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

ho hum

I dont have a smartphone
    we dont have much of a tech hardware sector bar in defence

we sold it all off - see ARM - and then wonder why we dont have a tech sector
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Just tweaking your nose, old bean. London is a name of Roman origin, after all. York is from Old Norse, etc, etc. A country named by its European conquerors!
    If the country is defined by its geographical features then most of those have Brythonic pre-Roman names.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    rcs1000 said:

ho hum

The second is a rather weaker case. Lots of lovely British HiFi gear, the main problem with which is, it is mostly beautifully built and lasts forever, so not many repeat purchases. I still have the same AE speakers and Audiolab electronics I bought 20 years ago before I got married, it has survived several moves of house and still sounds great.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I don't disagree with David's analysis at all , but I would point out that that Labour were still behind the Tories at the same point in the 1959 and 1987 Parliaments - albeit by smaller margins. Labour went on to win the 1964 election and whilst it suffered a fourth consecutive defeat in 1992 it did make net gains of over 40 seats . The Tories also performed significantly better at both the 2001 and 2005 elections than the polls were suggesting 20 months into those Parliaments.
    When we look at poll findings we need to take some account of methodological changes over time. Whilst in late May 1991 Labour did enjoy a lead of circa 6% in the polls , the April 1992 election revealed that the polls had almost certainly been inaccurate for some time.Despite what the polls were showing , Labour was probably doing no better than neck and neck in mid-1991.Moreover the most recent polling debacle of 2015 has resulted in significant adjustments, the effect of which has been to increase the Tory lead by several points. Were those adjustments to be removed the Tory lead would be in single figures - though they would still enjoy a clear margin. Some commentators have questioned whether some pollsters have over compensated for their 2015 polling failure - and there has been little indication of Tory strength being reflected in local elections - outside Scotland.
    A point which has occurred to me personally relates to the Don't Knows identified by pollsters.In my view it has to be pretty likely that at a time of honeymoon for a new PM - and Labour disarray or general ineffectiveness - that Tory -leaning Doubtfuls will overwhelmingly be in the Tory voting intention column. That may change as and when the honeymoon fades or comes to an end, but there has to be a good possibility - it seems to me - that those now being recorded as Don't Knows will opt disproportionately for one of the Opposition parties in due course.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

ho hum

I dont have a smartphone
    The Raspberry Pi is one of the best selling computer in the world, having sold over 10 million units. It's inexpensive, and I have about a dozen scattered around the house (albeit mostly doing non-computery things.)

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    rcs1000 said:

So, your chassis was made in the UK of steel. Now: does it matter where the steel came from? Or just where it was bent into shape. If we're including the steel, do we measure where the iron ore came from?

Aluminium.

So not mined or smelted in the UK. Maybe extruded.
  • Options
    I've a question for the PB Brains Trust that a friend and I were discussing over Christmas. In monetary terms, what is the most valuable human artefact that you can actually pick up and carry (so not the International Space Station for example)? After considering the Mona Lisa and the American Declaration of Independence, we settled upon the British Imperial State Crown. Were we right?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

ho hum

The second is a rather weaker case. Lots of lovely British HiFi gear, the main problem with which is, it is mostly beautifully built and lasts forever, so not many repeat purchases. I still have the same AE speakers and Audiolab electronics I bought 20 years ago before I got married, it has survived several moves of house and still sounds great.
    I also have some excellent British HiFi gear. The truth is, though, that perhaps 5% of the audio product bought in the UK today is British made.

I was just pointing out that one shouldn't make snarky comments about others not buying British if you're not doing it yourself.
  • Options

I've a question for the PB Brains Trust that a friend and I were discussing over Christmas. In monetary terms, what is the most valuable human artefact that you can actually pick up and carry (so not the International Space Station for example)? After considering the Mona Lisa and the American Declaration of Independence, we settled upon the British Imperial State Crown. Were we right?

No
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

ho hum

I dont have a smartphone
    we dont have much of a tech hardware sector bar in defence

we sold it all off - see ARM - and then wonder why we dont have a tech sector
    ARM chips are still designed in Cambridge. The legal entities that still transact the business are British. I doubt that SoftBank is going to mess with a winning formula.

Of course, when ARM was a public company, its biggest shareholders were mostly American.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

ho hum

I dont have a smartphone
    The Raspberry Pi is one of the best selling computer in the world, having sold over 10 million units. It's inexpensive, and I have about a dozen scattered around the house (albeit mostly doing non-computery things.)

Im on a Toshiba laptop - which was bought for me 3 Xmases ago

that's about the sum of my IT

my phone is an Iphone 4 which is third hand from my son and daughter and only replaced the £30 Nokia I had for the previous 5 years. Vodaphone contract cost more than the phone !

• Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

ho hum

I dont have a smartphone

my phone is an Iphone 4 which is third hand from my son and daughter and only replaced the £30 Nokia I had for the previous 5 years. Vodaphone contract cost more than the phone !

For the record, that's a smartphone.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    rcs1000 said:

No
    Suitcase Nuke? Perhaps billions to the 'right' buyer.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

ho hum

I dont have a smartphone

I'm sorry to be so snippy, as you are one of my favourite posters. But it always annoys me when people complain about others not buying British. We are supposed to buy the best product for our needs, at the best price, because that's how free markets work. That's how we reward those that do things best, and encourage those that do things less well to change. It's why making people buy British cars in the 1960s resulted in terribly British cars being made.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

ho hum

I dont have a smartphone

For the record, that's a smartphone.
    only of interest to those who are techy types,

Im not, IT bores me rigid and is always a hassle. It never delivers what it promises
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

50Kg saffron?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

ho hum

I dont have a smartphone

I'm sorry to be so snippy, as you are one of my favourite posters. But it always annoys me when people complain about others not buying British. We are supposed to buy the best product for our needs, at the best price, because that's how free markets work. That's how we reward those that do things best, and encourage those that do things less well to change. It's why making people buy British cars in the 1960s resulted in terribly British cars being made.
    To be fair, you are both willing buyers of the demonstrably inferior British idea that a country of 60-odd million people in Northern Europe would be better off detaching itself from its primary political alliance of the last 4 decades.
  • Options

It bores me rigid and is always a hassle. It never delivers what it promises

We're supposed to lay off posting about Brexit...
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

rcs1000 said:

More than 95% of bitcoin transactions occur in China, not sure that is a recipe for a happy and stable future

http://data.bitcoinity.org/markets/volume/30d?c=e&t=bar
    Yes, bitcoin transactions need to be done quickly on both sides. It lost 20% last week but is still above a 30 day historic figure. Very volatile.
  • Options

The material value of the ISC is said to be around 35m pounds, although in reality it is priceless because the historical value of many of those gems is irreplaceable.

Antimatter is valued at $6.25 trillion per gram, although where CERN could furnish you with the necessary microgram or so, I dont know ;)

Californium is only $27 million per gram, so a more realistic proposition, but it is a bit toxic ;)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

ho hum

I dont have a smartphone

To be fair, you are both willing buyers of the demonstrably inferior British idea that a country of 60-odd million people in Northern Europe would be better off detaching itself from its primary political alliance of the last 4 decades.
    Where is my Brexit macro when you need it ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Blue_rog said:

50Kg saffron?
    Not an artefact. Californium (cf. Indigo) arguably is, but I don't think meets the spirit of the question.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

ho hum

I dont have a smartphone

Our primary political alliance has been with the US. Our involvement with the EU has been a reluctant consequence of geography and the search for an alternative to Empire.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Your claim is certainly demonstrably wrong

So let's propose an experiment.

You claim triggering Article 50 was/is irrelevant to the market reaction.

Assuming we trigger in March (and I am not sure we will), will you stand by your assertion that it will have zero market impact?
    Yes. There may be a flippant and transient over-reaction by ignorant idiotic traders (see people selling FTSE the morning after the referendum before it actually closed the week and year up rather than down).

But there will be no real market reaction as defined by a substantial change in GDP growth which was the claim made that GDP would go down.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

ho hum

I dont have a smartphone

not in the least RCS I know it annoys people, and I genuinely dont expect people to buy british all the time . However if we looked after our own industries a bit better we might still be present in some of our key sectors.

I do however think that where businesses are headquartered has a big impact on the benefit to the host country

I remember Young Meeks deriding me for criticising the Cadbury deal. But now 5 years on we have a gradual decontenting of the the business. Sales marketing etc closed down and the tax base moved to Switzerland. The UK is not better off for the deal, and since somebody has to pay taxes to keep public services going the burden shifts to those that are left.

On a personal note though since I do do the household shopping - my wife hates supermarkets - I will always by UK product when faced like for like - english fizz instead of champagne and Im happy to pay a bit more too !
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

No, the ML would fetch over a billion, probably well over a billion. If yoyu want to go for royal bric-a-brac the Tutenkhamun gold mask thingy: I know it lacks diamonds but it compensates and then some in wow factor. Plus diamonds are overrated: we can't be far off synthesizing them any size and quality we like.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

The material value of the ISC is said to be around 35m pounds, although in reality it is priceless because the historical value of many of those gems is irreplaceable.

Antimatter is valued at $6.25 trillion per gram, although where CERN could furnish you with the necessary microgram or so, I dont know ;)

Californium is only $27 million per gram, so a more realistic proposition, but it is a bit toxic ;)
    Look up the cost of botulinum toxin (BTX) used in botox treatments. Because of the tiny molecular level amounts required, I heard a stat that a kilo of botox would be close on a trillion quid.....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

ho hum

I also have some excellent British HiFi gear. The truth is, though, that perhaps 5% of the audio product bought in the UK today is British made.

I was just pointing out that one shouldn't make snarky comments about others not buying British if you're not doing it yourself.
    My hifi is entirely Arcam and Castle. Worth every penny.
  • Options
    Mr. Z, if that happened, the tungsten bullets/armour would be soon replaced. Mind you, not sure if you could make a dum-dum out of diamond (well, not pure diamond).
  • Options

MrsB said:

He was claiming the UK could spend shed loads of extra money on the NHS, thus contributing to the false picture that there would be shedloads of

To my
    We haven't Brexited ye five year plan, declared a success, over a pile of (political) graves. History is written by the winners.
    We have voted to Brexit
    Plus the increase .
    Buy before the price goes up. Like any imprt th Century.

Good.

next
    straw clutching

buy a Jag
    The effect

ho hum
    On the contrary, I often buy British, and usually holiday in the Isle of Wight (albeit for family reasons). I always buy British made shoes and socks and coats, but other clothing is a real problem.

The problem with cars is that there is no British made model that meets my needs. I need a compact car (impossible to park at work if big) and economical to run. I like my Fiat 500 so no need to change, but I would consider an Audi A1 if I did.

My dad likes his Jag, but it would be no use to me. If it is any consolation I don't like Mercs, BMW's or especially not VWs though Seats and Skodas are quite suitable for my needs. I wouldn't buy French or an SUV either.
  • Options

Look up the cost of botulinum toxin (BTX) used in botox treatments. Because of the tiny molecular level amounts required, I heard a stat that a kilo of botox would be close on a trillion quid.....
    That's like saying printer ink is more than gold on a weight-for-weight basis. 99.9% of the cost of botox is in the container it's in, and the cost of delivery :)
  • Options
    edited January 2017

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

ho hum

I dont have a smartphone

alliances change all the time. Quite often their original purpose changes and is no longer valid

Ive been having an on off discussion with RCS for the last 2 years that we'll swallow our scruples and drift closer to Russia as we have done regularly in the last 250 years to counterbalnce th continental hegemon

only time will tell
  • Options

It bores me rigid and is always a hassle. It never delivers what it promises

We're supposed to lay off posting about Brexit...
    lol
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Mr. Z, if that happened, the tungsten bullets/armour would be soon replaced. Mind you, not sure if you could make a dum-dum out of diamond (well, not pure diamond).

Diamond armour would be poor, I think. It's hard, not tough, and would shatter rather than absorb the energy of impact. In a similar way it's easy to break a window with a ladle, but tricky to scratch it with one.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

That's like saying printer ink is more than gold on a weight-for-weight basis. 99.9% of the cost of botox is in the container it's in, and the cost of delivery :)
    No, I'm talking just the active agent BTX. You could put a trillion quids worth in a polythene bag....
  • Options

Marked to market?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

At a guess, I'd say one out of Codex Sinaiticus, the Book of Kells, Magna Carta, Domesday Book, or the Garima Gospels.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

ho hum

I dont have a smartphone

alliances change all the time. Quite often their original purpose changes and is no longer valid

Ive been having an on off discussion with RCS for the last 2 years that we'll swallow of scruples and drift closer to Russia as we have done regularly in the last 250 years to counterbalnce th continental hegemon

only time will tell
    You may remember that before the referendum I also argued that the geopolitical logic of Brexit was that our interests would align with Russia's, so I guess our world views are not a million miles apart, despite my Europhilia.
  • Options

not in the least RCS I know it annoys people, and I genuinely dont expect people to buy british all the time . However if we looked after our own industries a bit better we might still be present in some of our key sectors.

I do however think that where businesses are headquartered has a big impact on the benefit to the host country

I remember Young Meeks deriding me for criticising the Cadbury deal. But now 5 years on we have a gradual decontenting of the the business. Sales marketing etc closed down and the tax base moved to Switzerland. The UK is not better off for the deal, and since somebody has to pay taxes to keep public services going the burden shifts to those that are left.

On a personal note though since I do do the household shopping - my wife hates supermarkets - I will always by UK product when faced like for like - english fizz instead of champagne and Im happy to pay a bit more too !

Same here. One of he reasons I like doing that is it helps me to buy seasonally. As a family we try and use all fruit and veg on a seasonal basis. So nothing imported that can be grown.in the UK. Obviously tropical stuff that won't grow in the UK at any time of year is excepted. This is not primarily to 'buy British' but more because it adds great variety to.our cooking and eating on a seasonal basis. I still genuinely look forward to the first English summer fruits even though you can now buy imported varieties all year round.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Anorak said:

No, I'm talking just the active agent BTX. You could put a trillion quids worth in a polythene bag....
    I'm saying the BTX is not worth a trillion quid. If you went to a manufacturer and asked for a kilo, they would not charge you that. Just because a treatment costs £50 (or whatever) and contains a microgram, does not mean that a gram of BTX costs £50,000,000.

And I'm sticking to my suggestion that a suitcase nuke as an artefact could be sold for more than anything else suggested so far.
  • Options
    The True Cross would be pricey. Constantine's mum found it.

Since lost, of course.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Same here. One of he reasons I like doing that is it helps me to buy seasonally. As a family we try and use all fruit and veg on a seasonal basis. So nothing imported that can be grown.in the UK. Obviously tropical stuff that won't grow in the UK at any time of year is excepted. This is not primarily to 'buy British' but more because it adds great variety to.our cooking and eating on a seasonal basis. I still genuinely look forward to the first English summer fruits even though you can now buy imported varieties all year round.
    It's getting a bit harder to get genuine new season as even in this country poly tunnels are expanding the growing season, bit I really look forward to asparagus ( I live about 10 miles from the vale of evesham ), english strawberries are still by far the best and fresh new potatoes ( I'm a paddy, it's in the genes )
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

ho hum

I dont have a smartphone

Ive been having an on off discussion with RCS for the last 2 years that we'll swallow our scruples and drift closer to Russia as we have done regularly in the last 250 years to counterbalnce th continental hegemon

only time will tell
    Thought it was Britain & German vs France & Russia
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

No
    Well what's the answer than?
  • Options

That's a good question. I'd say the Mona Lisa is easiest to value, we know it would smash the $300m record for a painting at auction. The Crown is worth considerably less than that as gold and stones, but probably a lot more for the historical value. The largest item made of gold is Tutankhamen's coffin at just over a ton, is worth $50m just in the metal, but it's a little difficult to pass it around a room!
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    SeanT said:

My initial reaction is that I rarely buy British, but is that true? Is it merely that the most conspicuous items - like technology - tend to be non British?

On reflection, I buy and/or consume British:

Cars (a Mini JCW)
    Gin
    Scotch
    Sparkling wine
    Cheese (sometimes)
    TV
    Movies (sometimes)
    Advertising
    Journalism
    Literature
    Music
    Restaurant food. British oysters!

I spend money in British hotels and bars. I spend money on British girls. I use British Airways. I give my money to the British government to pay the British army to use British weapons in defending Britain from non-Brits.

When you think about it that way, it starts to add up.

Cheese ?1?

FFS Sean get yourself a decent cheesemonger we have some of the best cheese around these days.

https://www.paxtonandwhitfield.co.uk/

I always go in to their shop In Stratford upon Avon ( my local town ), the smell by the door just always drags me in.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

At a guess, I'd say one out of Codex Sinaiticus, the Book of Kells, Magna Carta, Domesday Book, or the Garima Gospels.
    Too special interest (Christian and UK); the Birmingham quran should be in there, at least till the ME runs out of oil. Also too abstruse and too nerdy: a good test is "is Donald Trump likely to have heard of this artifact?"
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    The most valuable thing you could realistically hope to hold in your hand - worth perhaps $4bn at today's prices - is Satoshi Nakamoto's private keys to his Bitcoin stash. You could print it on a single piece of paper.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

My initial reaction is that I rarely buy British, but is that true? Is it merely that the most conspicuous items - like technology - tend to be non British?

Cars (a Mini JCW)
    Gin
    Scotch
    Sparkling wine
    Cheese (sometimes)
    TV
    Movies (sometimes)
    Advertising
    Journalism
    Literature
    Music

I spend money in British hotels and bars. I spend money on British girls. I use British Airways. I give my money to the British government to pay the British army to use British weapons in defending Britain from non-Brits.

I reckon virtually all the art and craft items I have bought over the past 35 years, including commissions, have been created by British artists.

That said, all my birding optics will have been foreign made.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The most valuable thing you could realistically hope to hold in your hand - worth perhaps $4bn at today's prices - is Satoshi Nakamoto's private keys to his Bitcoin stash. You could print it on a single piece of paper.

I wouldn't describe that as a human artifact.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    rcs1000 said:

If compromised its value is zero, so I'd reject this answer.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Too special interest (Christian and UK); the Birmingham quran should be in there, at least till the ME runs out of oil. Also too abstruse and too nerdy: a good test is "is Donald Trump likely to have heard of this artifact?"
    Hadrians Wall?
  • Options
    For the record, my car is sort-of British.

Albeit the shell was sent to California to be filled before being brought back to the UK.
  • Options

The True Cross would be pricey. Constantine's mum found it.

Since lost, of course.

The relics of St Peter ?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

He'll have heard of Magna Carta, as there's an original copy in the Oval Office, purchased for a vast sum by Ross Perot, and then donated to the US. American billionaires would pay a fortune for the items I mentioned.
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, its*. No apostrophe required.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

In terms of its value to humanity, rather than what it would fetch on the open market, it has to be the Biblos tablets with the first recordings of the Phoenician alphabet. Without an alphabet, literacy could never have become so widespread, so extensive philosophy and science would be for a very select few, meaning we would not have had any of the technological revolutions.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I think it was a wonderfully creative answer, and so I'm going to give myself ten points and ban you for 48 hours.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Albeit the shell was sent to California to be filled before being brought back to the UK.

Rocker panels full of heroin?
  • Options

Mr. Glenn, its*. No apostrophe required.

I'd already corrected it. Either an autocorrect failure or fingers on autopilot. :)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

He must be really pissed off, it was worth $5bn a week ago ;)

I don't think that counts though, Warren Buffet's or Tim Cook's share certificates are probably worth more if we want to go down that road
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Roadster
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

rcs1000 said:

No
    Well what's the answer than?

You just paid for the answer, not the explanation. That will cost you more. A lot more.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

In terms of its value to humanity, rather than what it would fetch on the open market, it has to be the Biblos tablets with the first recordings of the Phoenician alphabet. Without an alphabet, literacy could never have become so widespread, so extensive philosophy and science would be for a very select few, meaning we would not have had any of the technological revolutions.
    So, second only importance to the creation of Bitcoin.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I think it was a wonderfully creative answer, and so I'm going to give myself ten points and ban you for 48 hours.
    :). How about this answer - Donald Trump's twitter password? You could shift markets around the world.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

The Rosetta Stone must be hugely valuable too.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't think that counts though, Warren Buffet's or Tim Cook's share certificates are probably worth more if we want to go down that road
    Nah, if you had Warren Buffet's share certificates, there's nothing you could do with them. You still wouldn't control their wealth.

With the private keys, you could transfer all those Bitcoins wherever you liked.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

He'll have heard of Magna Carta, as there's an original copy in the Oval Office, purchased for a vast sum by Ross Perot, and then donated to the US. American billionaires would pay a fortune for the items I mentioned.
    Yes, I forgot to say that the Magna Carta exists in 4 copies, which rather undermines its scarcity value. And yes all those things are worth a lot of money, but presumably billionaires buy stuff to impress other billionaires, and the Mona Lisa has a whole lot of name recognition. Whereas I doubt more than one person in a thousand would know without being told what the Garima Gospels are.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

:). How about this answer - Donald Trump's twitter password? You could shift markets around the world.
    Very good
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

But doea Putin need the money?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Cars (a Mini JCW)
    Gin
    Scotch
    Sparkling wine
    Cheese (sometimes)
    TV
    Movies (sometimes)
    Advertising
    Journalism
    Literature
    Music

Cheese ?1?

FFS Sean get yourself a decent cheesemonger we have some of the best cheese around these days.

https://www.paxtonandwhitfield.co.uk/

I always go in to their shop In Stratford upon Avon ( my local town ), the smell by the door just always drags me in.
    The Ticklemore Cheese Shop in Totnes is a spectacular resource of SW cheeses. Run by a group of young lasses who just LOVE their cheese. They will let you taste anything. "This one is eating particularly well right now..." and out comes a silver platter with a sample on it. And vacuum pack it so you don't smell out your car/train/home.

I went in just before Christmas, and they had to close for half an hour to restock. It had the appearance of the Monty Python Cheese Shop....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

As an aside, one day we'll all discover the inventor of Bitcoin*.

* My money is on Princess Anne
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

MrsB said:

To my mind markets and consumers work on very short horizons. The dip in the markets in Late June had recovered in a few months, but I expect that the ssme will happen again when A50 actually happens.

In reality Foxy's economic dictum applies : Things are never as bad as predicted nor as good as predicted
    Albeit post Brexit the economy grew faster than predicted in 2016 if we voted Remain let alone Leave. If that continues there will be far more than just £10bn.

We have voted to Brexit and the now demonstrated to be fallacious claim was an immediate slump (and emergency budget) after the vote - not years later when we actually Brexit. A vote was supposed to be enough to crash confidence and thus the economy.

Sales of new cars are expected to decline next year for industry specific structural reasons, irrespective of Brexit.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

The nuclear codes in the briefcase that gets carried around with him?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Yes, I forgot to say that the Magna Carta exists in 4 copies, which rather undermines its scarcity value. And yes all those things are worth a lot of money, but presumably billionaires buy stuff to impress other billionaires, and the Mona Lisa has a whole lot of name recognition. Whereas I doubt more than one person in a thousand would know without being told what the Garima Gospels are.
    It's possibly just me, but if I were immensely wealthy, I'd pay an immense sum to own a complete important book that's c.1,500 years old.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

torah.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Roadster
    0 - 60 as good as they claim?
This discussion has been closed.