Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At some stage some of the “will Trump survive” bets will be va

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

fpt for topping

The reason I don't want to talk about Brexit any more, and find it a yawn, is not because I have lost faith in it, but because I have - as I have now proved - been campaigning for it and journalising for it for 20 solid years. Ever since PB began (and before) as old timers here will know.

Therefore to me many of the arguments are unbelievably stupid or dull or repetitive. I've rehashed them in my mind and in articles trillions of times.

Of course to others they are new and fresh. You've never had to think about this stuff before. But I have done the thinking many times.

I just want Brexit. I don't really care if it is soft hard clean clumsy silly or stupendous. Just Brexit. Let the geeks work out the details. I appreciate others will find the minutiae fascinating.

It is boring and we're all repeating ourselves. The reason I essentially KNOW Brexit will be a huge mess is that there is no plan for Brexit, there never has been and never will be. Leavers have never articulated a coherent direction for Brexit, let alone a realistic worked out plan. Some preposterously blame David Cameron for not doing their thinking for them. Finally because no-one, Leaver as well as Remainer, is willing to take ownership of the project.

The plan for Brexit is clear, gain control of UK borders and get some sort of trade deal with the EU. How far that us achievable is another matter and will be the focus of the negotiations
    We are Germany's 3rd biggest market - they don't want to not have a trade deal.
    Of some form maybe but full single market access us unlikely
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TGOHF said:

Link?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:
    With companies shifting investment from Mexico to the USA, isn't Mexico already paying for the wall?
    And it would be easy to add say a $20 entry permit fee for anyone crossing the land border northbound. That would raise the cost of the wall in a decade or so.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

The plan for Brexit is clear, gain control of UK borders and get some sort of trade deal with the EU.

That's not a plan, that's an aspiration.

To continue the battle analogy that has been running this morning, all of the commanders need the same objective.

The Brexiteers can't agree if we are invading France, Russia or Great Britain. We will likely try all 3, and we know how that story ends...
    That is what May and Davis aspire to and it us they who will deal on behalf of the UK nobody else so what others think irrelevant
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Y0kel said:

Trump, as I have said plenty before, is in the Kremlin's pocket.

Is it just money, how a guy who's businesses were $900million down suddenly had money to burn?

Is it that they have compromising information about his leisure activities whilst he was Russia many years ago?

The US has a President who is more interested in keeping his interests with a foreign and hostile state above his own country.

-US intelligence has intercepts of senior Kremlin types expressing their particular views of Trump and his particular position with them. This is not just the Russians congratulating themselves as reported in the Washington Post.

-A 3rd party, ostensibly friendly, intelligence agency was so keen to get what they believed was the compromising Russian material on Trump that they went straight for bribery by letting it be known via whatever channels they had in Russia that they'd be willing to pay a large amount of cash. This was before the election.

Trump is in way over his head, the question is whether the spooks can muster themselves to bring him down. This is a tricky stance to take.

Cuckoo Cuckoo, come in Tapestry your time under cover is up.
    Trump is also a billionaire but spent less than Clinton
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

That is what May and Davis aspire to and it us they who will deal on behalf of the UK nobody else so what others think irrelevant

Who gets to tell BoJo and Fox they're irrelevant?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited January 2017
    MaxPB said:

Britain has the world's top economy after Brexit -- can a Times reader or subscriber briefly outline in what sense or by what measure that might be true (and why it seems to be in the present tense)?

Highest GDP growth for one quarter?
    No, for 2016 as a whole. There is also a lot of scepticism about the supposed downturn this year. The Bank and OBR are going to have egg on their faces in a few months when the forecasts are revised up to 2% hich is barely any different to this year or the UK's trend growth rate.
    Morning all. If we remember the much-maligned IFS pre-EUref report, their conclusion favoured NIESR's model, which forecast a 0.2% reduction in trend growth to 2030 (though obviously that would not be linear).

We're still overdue a downturn - I also recall Robert and myself being quite pessimistic about the timing of the referendum. That said, the immediate blow to confidence was clearly overstated.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,132
    edited January 2017
    MaxPB said:

Britain has the world's top economy after Brexit -- can a Times reader or subscriber briefly outline in what sense or by what measure that might be true (and why it seems to be in the present tense)?

Highest GDP growth for one quarter?
    No, for 2016 as a whole. There is also a lot of scepticism about the supposed downturn this year. The Bank and OBR are going to have egg on their faces in a few months when the forecasts are revised up to 2% hich is barely any different to this year or the UK's trend growth rate.
    Lets remember what Cameron and Osborne predicted would happen immediately after a Leave vote:

' Today, we are setting out our assessment of what would happen in the weeks and months after a vote to Leave on June 23.

It is clear that there would be an immediate and profound shock to our economy.

The analysis produced by the Treasury today shows that a vote to leave will push our economy into a recession that would knock 3.6 per cent off GDP and, over two years, put hundreds of thousands of people out of work right across the country, compared to the forecast for continued growth if we vote to remain in the EU.

In a more severe shock scenario, Treasury economists estimate that our economy could be hit by 6 per cent, there would be a deeper recession and unemployment would rise by even more. '

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/22/david-cameron-and-george-osborne-brexit-would-put-our-economy-in/

After a decade of GDP predictions which were higher than what actually happened (thus suiting the purposes of governments) we get a prediction in which GDP does worse than what actually happened. And by an amazing coincidence that prediction for a recession is also what suited the government's purposes.

And yet we're told not to question the 'expertise' and 'neutrality' of the Sir Humphreys - or as its the Treasury in this case the Sir Franks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Gordon
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

Link?
    http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/deu/

As one example. They all show the same thing. The UK is Germany's 3rd biggest export market behind France and the USA but ahead of china.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Dr. Foxinsox, sounds interesting. Most of the military-to-management books appear to be Chinese (typically Sun Tzu, but also Sun Bin, Zhuge Liang, Liu Ji and Sima Yi).

However, I agree with Mr. CD13. If we label anything from the EU as 'essential', they'll simply whack an enormous price tag on it.

Bungay's book on the Battle of Britain is also very interesting. He makes a powerful case that we won by superior planning via a flexible command system, while the Luftwaffe relied on talented mavericks who didn't co-ordinate or agree strategic objectives.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Diehard with a Vengeance (1995) on BBC1 and a woman expresses disbelief by saying 'and I'm going to marry Donald Trump' shows the extent of his fame even then

He cameoed in one of the Home Alone films too.
    He's been cameoing for a very long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yosAVMB47-Y
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Dr. Foxinsox, sounds oddly reminiscent of Roman versus Celtic battle tactics.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

Daniel Radcliffe is appearing at the Old Vic from 25th February.

http://www.oldvictheatre.com/whats-on/2017/rosencrantz-and-guildenstern/

Thanks for the heads up; just booked.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Looks like an interesting weekend - a state of emergency comes into effect at 4pm tomorrow and we're expecting 4-8 inches of snow locally tomorrow overnight. We've been warned to expect to be stuck at home for 3 days.

Would this be happening if Hillary had won?

More importantly NFL playoffs...
    You asked about OA on Netflix - its okay, not worth 10hrs. It'd be fine as a film.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

fpt for topping

The reason I don't want to talk about Brexit any more, and find it a yawn, is not because I have lost faith in it, but because I have - as I have now proved - been campaigning for it and journalising for it for 20 solid years. Ever since PB began (and before) as old timers here will know.

Therefore to me many of the arguments are unbelievably stupid or dull or repetitive. I've rehashed them in my mind and in articles trillions of times.

Of course to others they are new and fresh. You've never had to think about this stuff before. But I have done the thinking many times.

I just want Brexit. I don't really care if it is soft hard clean clumsy silly or stupendous. Just Brexit. Let the geeks work out the details. I appreciate others will find the minutiae fascinating.

It is boring and we're all repeating ourselves. The reason I essentially KNOW Brexit will be a huge mess is that there is no plan for Brexit, there never has been and never will be. Leavers have never articulated a coherent direction for Brexit, let alone a realistic worked out plan. Some preposterously blame David Cameron for not doing their thinking for them. Finally because no-one, Leaver as well as Remainer, is willing to take ownership of the project.

Think of it as a war, and consider Von Moltke's splendid words

"The tactical result of an engagement forms the base for new strategic decisions because victory or defeat in a battle changes the situation to such a degree that no human acumen is able to see beyond the first battle. In this sense one should understand Napoleon's saying: "I have never had a plan of operations."

Therefore no plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first contact with the main hostile force."

It's such a fluid situation that it isn't plannable beyond the opening gambit. We'll be fine though.
    All of that's fine, and we'll see what transpires. My point was that here we are on a political website (betting-orientated, but with plenty of non-betting contributors) and half the Brexiters on it say: "I don't want to talk about [the most important political event in our adult lifetimes]."

Makes no sense. Smacks of them not wanting to talk about it because they know the shitshow it will be and they would prefer not to be around when it all hits the fan. Is it a shitshow? Will it hit the fan? Who knows - but not to want to discuss it on PB is bizarre.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

Link?

As one example. They all show the same thing. The UK is Germany's 3rd biggest export market behind France and the USA but ahead of china.
    I think the MIT data is for physical goods only and excludes services. I don't know if that would change the orderings at all.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Y0kel said:

Is it just money, how a guy who's businesses were $900million down suddenly had money to burn?

Is it that they have compromising information about his leisure activities whilst he was Russia many years ago?

The US has a President who is more interested in keeping his interests with a foreign and hostile state above his own country.

-US intelligence has intercepts of senior Kremlin types expressing their particular views of Trump and his particular position with them. This is not just the Russians congratulating themselves as reported in the Washington Post.

-A 3rd party, ostensibly friendly, intelligence agency was so keen to get what they believed was the compromising Russian material on Trump that they went straight for bribery by letting it be known via whatever channels they had in Russia that they'd be willing to pay a large amount of cash. This was before the election.

Trump is in way over his head, the question is whether the spooks can muster themselves to bring him down. This is a tricky stance to take.

Is he really a billionaire? If I remember rightly, his asset calculation included a large sum for his 'brand'. Which is a very different kind of asset to - say - money.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

Link?

I think the MIT data is for physical goods only and excludes services. I don't know if that would change the orderings at all.
    Overall I think we are Germany's second largest trading partner by total volume of imports and exports, third largest importer of German goods. I no longer have the means (or motivation) to look it up though.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,397
    TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

fpt for topping

"The tactical result of an engagement forms the base for new strategic decisions because victory or defeat in a battle changes the situation to such a degree that no human acumen is able to see beyond the first battle. In this sense one should understand Napoleon's saying: "I have never had a plan of operations."

Therefore no plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first contact with the main hostile force."

It's such a fluid situation that it isn't plannable beyond the opening gambit. We'll be fine though.
    All of that's fine, and we'll see what transpires. My point was that here we are on a political website (betting-orientated, but with plenty of non-betting contributors) and half the Brexiters on it say: "I don't want to talk about [the most important political event in our adult lifetimes]."

Makes no sense. Smacks of them not wanting to talk about it because they know the shitshow it will be and they would prefer not to be around when it all hits the fan. Is it a shitshow? Will it hit the fan? Who knows - but not to want to discuss it on PB is bizarre.
    Morning all,

Napoleon presumably therefore had no plan of operations when he invaded Russia. That could explain the catastrophic results.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

fpt for topping

It has more to do with not revealing our hand in advance of the negotiations, to:

A. Those who will sit opposite us. A Mr Cameron tried that one last time and it didn't work out too well.

B. Those, ostensibly on our own side, who would rather there were no negotiations at all and who we know will try to frustrate the whole process, so that it is seen to either fail or more preferably not begin.
  • Options
    Did enjoy this from Kingston police

Phillip
    Pahahahahah absolutely brilliant ... #FindDyke https://t.co/2AKFT7CGNx
  • Options

Dr. Foxinsox, sounds interesting. Most of the military-to-management books appear to be Chinese (typically Sun Tzu, but also Sun Bin, Zhuge Liang, Liu Ji and Sima Yi).

However, I agree with Mr. CD13. If we label anything from the EU as 'essential', they'll simply whack an enormous price tag on it.

Bungay's book on the Battle of Britain is also very interesting. He makes a powerful case that we won by superior planning via a flexible command system, while the Luftwaffe relied on talented mavericks who didn't co-ordinate or agree strategic objectives.
    I think Keith Park was possibly the finest general we had in WW2. He fought the BoB as a STRATEGIC thing. SunZi: 'Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat'.
    The strategy was to survive and still be around to screw up a potential German invasion (Operation Sealion). He very very deliberately only fed in enough opposition each day to frustrate German raids but without letting RAF casualty rates get too high. He was under tremendous pressure from some of his more gung-ho colleagues (such as Leigh-Mallory) to put more planes in the air and make a big fight of it - which would have led to an early exit and defeat. The Germans on the other hand played their strategy abysmally. Didn't do nearly enough damage to radar stations (which made the RAF effort massively more efficient). Bombed London before they'd killed the RAF. They thought they were getting ahead when they weren't. They were fighting tactically.
    It all came to a head on Sep 15th 1940 'Eagle Day'. Goering wanted a final push to deliver a coup de grace to the RAF. Park sensed this and for the first time in nearly 3 months of bitter attritional fighting ordered an all out effort - even requesting additional squadrons from outside 11 Group - flooding the skies of southern England with fighters for the first time. The RAF did a lot of material damage that day, but not as much as you might expect. Much more importantly, they inflicted a crushing psychological blow to the Luftwaffe which simply could not believe the vast numbers of RAF fighters in the sky that day. That day the Luftwaffe realised it could not win, their own casualty rates becoming critical. Game set and match to Park. A brilliant and patient strategist who was also top notch at tactics.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

fpt for topping

f

Thin"

Tn that it isn't plannable beyond the opening gambit. We'll be fine though.
    All of that's fine, and we'll see what transpires. My point was that here we are on a political website (betting-orientated, but with plenty of ortant political event in our adult lifetimes]."

It has more to do with not revealing our hand in advance of the negotiations, to:

A. Those who will sit opposite us. A Mr Cameron tried that one last time and it didn't work out too well.

B. Those, ostensibly on our own side, who would rather there were no negotiations at all and who we know will try to frustrate the whole process, so that it is seen to either fail or more preferably not begin.
    Well I'm talking about PB contributors. If you are talking about the actual players, there is a different angle. At the moment, as people have pointed out, as have I, the government (govt + civil service) is still a long way from determining what they want. It's not a case of we have a strategy we don't want to say what it is. It is we don't yet have a strategy because this shit's complicated and we need to get our heads round it all before we develop that strategy.

At the moment the government is in consultation mode, taking industry input. After that presumably a strategy will emerge. The civil service, meanwhile, is miles from being properly staffed up to execute any strategy as it stands today and, with the civil service timescales being what they are, I have my doubts as to whether they will be ready come end-March and A50. If there is that strategy by then. It is a formidable task and I wish TMay had said she would trigger in a year to give us more time to understand, sector by sector, industry by industry, the optimal route.

Now, my main grip with Tezza and her no running commentary is that if she had said something resembling the paragraph above - it's a huge task, we are approaching it methodically, we will keep you updated as we ourselves gain more understanding of our priorities, etc - then I would have had a tremendous respect for her. Instead, and perhaps this is the law of politics, she was forced to say or imply that the government has a handle on it all already but don't want to tell us what they are thinking. Could another PM have been more candid? Not sure. Does it serve her well not to be candid? Nope.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

fpt for topping

The reason I don't waB began (and before) as old timers here will know.

Morning all,

Napoleon presumably therefore had no plan of operations when he invaded Russia. That could explain the catastrophic results.
    If this analogy supports my point, then I agree wholeheartedly; if it contradicts it, then it is wholly irrelevant and a misguided comparison.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,790
    edited January 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

I would feel more confident in Von Moltke's splendid words if there had ever been a "plan of operations" that could fail on first contact with hostile forces or if any "strategic decisions" new or old were ever likely to transpire. I don't think Von Moltke recommends dispensing with plans or strategy entirely because you might not like what they entail.
    HYUFD said:

The plan for Brexit is clear, gain control of UK borders and get some sort of trade deal with the EU. How far that us achievable is another matter and will be the focus of the negotiations

I suppose that could count as a direction ... For completeness we can add no ECJ oversight. The thing is, our relationship with the EU and the rest of the world is complicated and will become more so after Brexit. We are not considering anything other than those two red lines. In any case control over immigration and avoidance of supernational oversight is unlikely to be absolute even under hard Brexit scenarios. It doesn't invalidate the objectives but if we are talking about degrees rather than absolutes that allows trade-offs.

We are going to Brexit but we haven't even started to debate what we want from it and how we are going to achieve our objectives. I doubt we ever will. What we will get is reaction to events and a lot of ill-will.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Who gets to tell BoJo and Fox they're irrelevant?
    Fox is Minister for negotiating trade deals outside the EU and Johnson is Foreign Secretary. Neither have direct responsibility for negotiating with the EU unlike May and Davis so in effect their views on that are irrelevant
  • Options
    Mr. Patrick, interesting stuff on WWII.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Y0kel said:

Is he really a billionaire? If I remember rightly, his asset calculation included a large sum for his 'brand'. Which is a very different kind of asset to - say - money.
    Most billionaires wealth is partly tied up in assets, Forbes says he is worth $4 billion which makes him the richest president ever elected
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I would feel more confident in Von Moltke's splendid words if there had ever been a "plan of operations" that could fail on first contact with hostile forces or if any "strategic decisions" new or old were ever likely to transpire. I don't think Von Moltke recommends dispensing with plans or strategy entirely because you might not like what they entail.
    HYUFD said:

I suppose that could count as a direction ... For completeness we can add no ECJ oversight. The thing is, our relationship with the EU and the rest of the world is complicated and will become more so after Brexit. We are not considering anything other than those two red lines. In any case control over immigration and avoidance of supernational oversight is unlikely to be absolute even under hard Brexit scenarios. It doesn't invalidate the objectives but if we are talking about degrees rather than absolutes that allows trade-offs.

We are going to Brexit but we haven't even started to debate what we want from it and how we are going to achieve our objectives. I doubt we ever will. What we will get is reaction to events and a lot of ill-will.
    Most likely the end result will be a fudge between objective and outcome but that is the objective
  • Options
    List of Oxford past PMs. Missed out James Callaghan, who was also not a graduate.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058
    jackiep said:

List of Oxford past PMs. Missed out James Callaghan, who was also not a graduate.

Jim Callaghan took over midway though a Parliament. Didn’t win an election.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,397
    jackiep said:

Welcome aboard.

I think, if you mean yesterday's list, there was a caveat about it being PMs who had won an election.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    I have no problem with people wanting to discuss the complexities of the deal we are to have with the EU. This is not only a matter of great national interest but also has obvious political and betting implications (resignations, elections, leadership issues, party splits, etc etc).

What I am finding a little tedious, 6 months on, is the constant refighting of the merits of a decision already taken. Are we still going to be arguing that Hillary really won in 4 months time? And what exactly could that achieve?

Those remainers who accept the decision (such as @foxinsox) has been taken but argue for a softer Brexit to minimise the impact of a decision they did not agree with have valid points to make. I think it would be idiotic, notwithstanding the current growth, not to appreciate and accept that Brexit will have a short term impact on this country and that it makes sense to mitigate that so far as possible. Uncertainty is rarely good for business. But those who seek to twist every piece of news into a highly contrived "I told you so" are not only wrong but tedious and irrelevant.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Patrick said:

(Snip)
    The strategy was to survive and still be around to screw up a potential German invasion (Operation Sealion). He very very deliberately only fed in enough opposition each day to frustrate German raids but without letting RAF casualty rates get too high. He was under tremendous pressure from some of his more gung-ho colleagues (such as Leigh-Mallory) to put more planes in the air and make a big fight of it - which would have led to an early exit and defeat. The Germans on the other hand played their strategy abysmally. Didn't do nearly enough damage to radar stations (which made the RAF effort massively more efficient). Bombed London before they'd killed the RAF. They thought they were getting ahead when they weren't. They were fighting tactically.
    It all came to a head on Sep 15th 1940 'Eagle Day'. Goering wanted a final push to deliver a coup de grace to the RAF. Park sensed this and for the first time in nearly 3 months of bitter attritional fighting ordered an all out effort - even requesting additional squadrons from outside 11 Group - flooding the skies of southern England with fighters for the first time. The RAF did a lot of material damage that day, but not as much as you might expect. Much more importantly, they inflicted a crushing psychological blow to the Luftwaffe which simply could not believe the vast numbers of RAF fighters in the sky that day. That day the Luftwaffe realised it could not win, their own casualty rates becoming critical. Game set and match to Park. A brilliant and patient strategist who was also top notch at tactics.

Brilliant post thanks.

I recently read somewhere - it may have been on here, but I don't think it was - that the Luftwaffe's intelligence was way off. They knew roughly the number of squadrons we had, as we did theirs. But they were taking squadrons as being planes, when in reality people matter as much. The Germans treated a squadron as being a full number of pilots, whereas each of our squadrons had extras - pilots who were ill, injured, on leave, in training, etc, etc. Therefore the Germans were not reducing our pilots as much as they expected.

A fact made worse by the fact we were fighting over our ground: RAF pilots shot down over the UK who survived could soon go back into combat; German pilots shot down over the UK were generally out of the game.

In addition, we performed training differently. Squadrons away from the heat would have many trainees and a few experienced pilots; this allowed trainees to learn in a safer environment. As they gained experience they were moved (generally south) to areas that were under more threat. Squadrons in the hot areas would have few green trainees and many more experienced pilots.

Sadly, I cannot remember where I read this ...
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    FF43 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

chortle

the implication that somehow Remain had a plan for staying in is just too funny for words

our in "plan" has been to ignore the direction the EU27 are heading , get ourselves pulled along without any understanding of what it all means, bitch and gripe at the edges and then cave in to the latest set of demands while calling it "influence" or denying it actually means what it says on the tin.

there never has been a Remain strategy but you seem quite happy with that.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,545

FF43 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

chortle

the implication that somehow Remain had a plan for staying in is just too funny for words

our in "plan" has been to ignore the direction the EU27 are heading , get ourselves pulled along without any understanding of what it all means, bitch and gripe at the edges and then cave in to the latest set of demands while calling it "influence" or denying it actually means what it says on the tin.

'A seat at the top table' and other meaningless twaddle.
  • Options

Patrick said:

(Snip)

Brilliant post thanks.

I recently read somewhere - it may have been on here, but I don't think it was - that the Luftwaffe's intelligence was way off. They knew roughly the number of squadrons we had, as we did theirs. But they were taking squadrons as being planes, when in reality people matter as much. The Germans treated a squadron as being a full number of pilots, whereas each of our squadrons had extras - pilots who were ill, injured, on leave, in training, etc, etc. Therefore the Germans were not reducing our pilots as much as they expected.

In addition, we performed training differently. Squadrons away from the heat would have many trainees and a few experienced pilots; this allowed trainees to learn in a safer environment. As they gained experience they were moved (generally south) to areas that were under more threat. Squadrons in the hot areas would have few green trainees and many more experienced pilots.

I knoiw one always worries about spies, but haven’t I heard somewhere that while, even in 1940, we were receiving intelligence from occupied Europe the number of German spies in UK was low, and further what they sent back was of poor quality.
  • Options
    jackiep said:

It was a list of election winners, and therefore did not include sunny Jim
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    I'm surprised one of the remainframers hasn't rushed this out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38523368

"Access to single market 'not on sale'" says Jonathan Faull..

One of the men who negotiated Cameron's deal, on behalf of the EU.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

Link?

Overall I think we are Germany's second largest trading partner by total volume of imports and exports, third largest importer of German goods. I no longer have the means (or motivation) to look it up though.
    Go pack!
  • Options
    Patrick said:

I think Keith Park was possibly the finest general we had in WW2. He fought the BoB as a STRATEGIC thing. SunZi: 'Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat'.
    Park was also the decisive factor in the Air battle for Malta, and also in the 1944-5 operations in Burma. Consistently brilliant, and incidentally a Kiwi.
  • Options
    People just don't seem to get the fact we have a trade deficit with the EU. The issue is them getting free access to our market.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Interesting post. Thanks.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I have no problem with people wanting to discuss the complexities of the deal we are to have with the EU. This is not only a matter of great national interest but also has obvious political and betting implications (resignations, elections, leadership issues, party splits, etc etc).

What I am finding a little tedious, 6 months on, is the constant refighting of the merits of a decision already taken. Are we still going to be arguing that Hillary really won in 4 months time? And what exactly could that achieve?

Those remainers who accept the decision (such as @foxinsox) has been taken but argue for a softer Brexit to minimise the impact of a decision they did not agree with have valid points to make. I think it would be idiotic, notwithstanding the current growth, not to appreciate and accept that Brexit will have a short term impact on this country and that it makes sense to mitigate that so far as possible. Uncertainty is rarely good for business. But those who seek to twist every piece of news into a highly contrived "I told you so" are not only wrong but tedious and irrelevant.

I am now supporting Hard Brexit. I think soft Brexit is neither desirable nor attainable and is a dangerous chimera.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,790

FF43 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

chortle

Your usual deflection, Alan. If we were Remaining that might be a valid objection (although I don't think it is - our plan would be to be signed up to whatever the EU is. Whether that's acceptable is another matter, but it is a coherent plan). But we're Leaving and where we go now is all that matters.
  • Options

People just don't seem to get the fact we have a trade deficit with the EU. The issue is them getting free access to our market.

If they didn't send us so much stuff in return for our worthless promises, they'd be richer.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited January 2017
    If you think Trump will fall or be primaried in 2020 then the real value must be in spotting who you think the Rep nom will be.

My thinking in that situation is it has to be a never Trumper.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    I note that the attrition rate by assassination for US presidents is 4/43 or nearly 10%. I scrupulously refrain from calculating probabilities from this figure, but it does show that assassination is in the US political dna. I am sure the Secret Service are amazingly good at their job but one doesn't need to read that many political thrillers to envisage the possibility of them deliberately falling down on the job.
  • Options
    Another great example for my "Why I'm not on Facebook" lecture. Some people really are this stupid.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/06/beautician-jailed-paying-stranger-300-take-speeding-points-revealed/
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

Link?

Go pack!
    Already done! I live on a mattress in my old room in my parents house at the moment. Fiji first though. :)
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

I note that the attrition rate by assassination for US presidents is 4/43 or nearly 10%. I scrupulously refrain from calculating probabilities from this figure, but it does show that assassination is in the US political dna. I am sure the Secret Service are amazingly good at their job but one doesn't need to read that many political thrillers to envisage the possibility of them deliberately falling down on the job.

Not quite. There hasn't been an assassination for over 50 years, which suggests either the DNA or the Presidential security has changed...

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    "A woman phoned up and said brexit won't be a disaster. Don't worry, it will"

https://youtu.be/NnxjZ-aFkjs
  • Options
    Additional factoid about Operation Sealion. It was by far the largest German operation of WW2 in terms of men, materials, cost and prep effort. Larger even than Barabarossa. They just never got to execute it. In fact the drain it imposed upon the Germans was a significant reason for the delay in launching Barbarossa a year later. A year the Russians made use of.
  • Options
    @carryonkeith: When Brexit fails, remember it'll have been the fault of those who voted Remain & the Civil Service. So don't blame Brexiteers' genius idea.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

If you think Trump will fall or be primaried in 2020 then the real value must be in spotting who you think the Rep nom will be.

My thinking in that situation is it has to be a never Trumper.

I backed Mike Pence before November, I'm content with my position.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

Link?

Go pack!
    Already done! I live on a mattress in my old room in my parents house at the moment. Fiji first though. :)
    Hope the move goes well, and best of luck in Fiji :+1:
  • Options

DavidL said:

I am now supporting Hard Brexit. I think soft Brexit is neither desirable nor attainable and is a dangerous chimera.
    Interesting. I would prefer us to move in the other direction although I accept the analysis on here that hard Brexit is looking increasingly likely, is not the end of the world and is something we should accept rather than a very bad deal.

My priorities are, above all, being out, being free of the CJE, having a situation where the EU makes as little of our law as is consistent with a working trade relationship and having better control of immigration.

There are a whole range of areas where I think co-operation would be a good thing but I am relaxed about whether this happens in the Brexit timetable or not. The one I find most difficult to judge is membership of the customs union. I really liked the idea floated yesterday where we were in for the purposes of intra-EU trade (including imports re-exported to the continent) but out for other purposes. If that were indeed possible it would be ideal.
  • Options
  • Options
    Bloody hell. I've spent the last few days writing a magnum opus on how the House of Lords playing silly beggars over Brexit could trigger an early election, and now Lord Fowler makes my piece redundant.

Exclusive: Peers will not sabotage Brexit, Lord Speaker tells Theresa May ahead of Supreme Court ruling

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/05/exclusive-peers-will-not-sabotage-brexit-lord-speaker-tells/
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

I suppose thatf ill-will.
    chortle

Your usual deflection, Alan. If we were Remaining that might be a valid objection (although I don't think it is - our plan would be to be signed up to whatever the EU is. Whether that's acceptable is another matter, but it is a coherent plan). But we're Leaving and where we go now is all that matters.
    No deflection at all

I'm simply pointing out the inconsistency of demanding an instant "plan" for Europe now when for the last three decades we haven't had one .

Maybe it's going to take Brexit to force us to face up to what we actually want as a country

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

DavidL said:

Both Ian Dunt (arch-Remainer) and Fraser Nelson (liberal Leaver) have suggested in the last 24 hours that now is a time for a rapprochement between Remainers and liberal Leavers. The suspicious might think that this was co-ordinated. The charitable might think that Fraser Nelson's article was a response to Ian Dunt's olive branch. Or it could, of course, be a coincidence.

Anyway, it's academic. Hard Brexit vs soft Brexit is not a choice for the UK to make alone. As you say, it's a chimera. The choice, as an erstwhile ambassador to the EU suggested, is between managed and orderly departure compared to a disorderly, chaotic exit.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Another great example for my "Why I'm not on Facebook" lecture. Some people really are this stupid.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/06/beautician-jailed-paying-stranger-300-take-speeding-points-revealed/

Should be banned from driving for ten years, or at least until she can prove she has a brain. ;)
  • Options
    Floater said:
    Reads to me like an exercise in getting the excuses in early - if the actual withdrawal results in a tin of worms, then blame British consumer debt and Trump.
  • Options
    Off-topic and waaaay off-topic:

SpaceX did a hold-down firing of a Falcon 9 yesterday. Things are looking good for the return-to-flight launch within a week, if the FAA allow them.

And in other news: aliens found!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzEtlaAUM2k
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    And Lo there came a voice from the wilderness, and he claimed to be a pretty straight kinda guy
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@carryonkeith: When Brexit fails, remember it'll have been the fault of those who voted Remain & the Civil Service. So don't blame Brexiteers' genius idea.

or it could be the crappy Remain campaign couldnt convince a bunch of thickies

I mean what does that say about them ?
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

chortle

No deflection at all

I'm simply pointing out the inconsistency of demanding an instant "plan" for Europe now when for the last three decades we haven't had one .

Maybe it's going to take Brexit to force us to face up to what we actually want as a country

Not to exist anymore?

• Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

chortle

No deflection at all

Not to exist anymore?

That was the Remainer plan

we end up subsumed in the Superstate by osmosis and the electorate dont get a say

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    Another way of putting all this is that we are doing very well inside the Single Market.

• Options
    https://twitter.com/pickardje/status/817312452710924288

They'll be gagging for a deal from us...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Obviously did not read tip number 1: https://www.facebook.com/funlegaltips: don't post evidence of your crimes on facebook.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Patrick said:

(Snip)

Brilliant post thanks.

I knoiw one always worries about spies, but haven’t I heard somewhere that while, even in 1940, we were receiving intelligence from occupied Europe the number of German spies in UK was low, and further what they sent back was of poor quality.
    Well don't forget Hugh Dowding as well. Leigh Mallory organised a coup d'etat after the BoB getting rid of both of them in favour of the 'big wing' concept. Dowding and Park couldn't defend themselves as many of the people in the enquiry weren't 'in the know' about Ultra (Bletchley was decoding the Luftwaffe messages by breakfast).
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Is says we were optomists and we couldn't believe the voters couldn't be that stupid :lol:
  • Options

Another way of putting all this is that we are doing very well inside the Single Market.

Indeed

The UK is thriving "despite" being a member of the EU...

Doesn't quite fit the Brexiteers' narrative though.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    edited January 2017
    Patrick said:

Additional factoid about Operation Sealion. It was by far the largest German operation of WW2 in terms of men, materials, cost and prep effort. Larger even than Barabarossa. They just never got to execute it. In fact the drain it imposed upon the Germans was a significant reason for the delay in launching Barbarossa a year later. A year the Russians made use of.

Have you a link to the proposition that Sealion delayed Barbarossa? Not read anything like that myself. Since Sealion 'cost' nothing in terms of landforces & related materiel, and afaicr the Luftwaffe was actually larger by the beginning of 1941 than it was at the start of the BoB, I find it hard to believe.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Should be banned from driving for ten years, or at least until she can prove she has a brain. ;)
    I’d seriously worry about using her services, givn her ability to judge. Or, more to the point, I’d make strenuous efforts to prevent my wife, daughter orgirl friend (delete as appropriate) doing so.
  • Options
    @AlbertoNardelli: 11 years in office, 1 million refugees later, and still more popular than Theresa May and pretty much every elected leader in Europe

https://twitter.com/AlbertoNardelli/status/817135533675646976
  • Options
    What force or guile could not subdue,
    Thro' many warlike ages,
    Is wrought now by a coward few,
    For hireling traitor's wages.
    The English steel we could disdain,
    Secure in valour's station;
    But English gold has been our bane -
    Such a parcel of rogues in a nation!

https://twitter.com/telepolitics/status/817312779031834624
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Somebody at Conservative Home on why they're not betting against Marine le Pen.
    http://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2017/01/brexit-lessons-and-why-im-not-betting-against-marine-le-pen.html

He doesn't specifically say he's *taking* bets against Marine le Pen, but I thought I'd mention it in case pbers want to give him a try.

Usual betting-with-pundits rules apply: Don't tell them about odds unless they bring them up. Start with "I bet Marine le Pen loses" and see if you can get evens.
  • Options

@AlbertoNardelli: 11 years in office, 1 million refugees later, and still more popular than Theresa May and pretty much every elected leader in Europe

so who does she team up with ?

she screwed up the coalition last time
  • Options
    Mr. P, Sturgeon's daft.

Suppose there is 'hard Brexit'. It either works, or doesn't, in broad terms. If it works, stamping her foot and demanding another independence vote looks blatantly self-interested. If it doesn't, how much worse would the economic aftermath of Scottish independence from the UK look, given they do so much trade 'with us' (as it would then be) and would need to change their currency (*and* be outside the EU as well).
  • Options

Dave will quite happily give her advice on forming a successful coalition and how to play the black widow
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Patrick said:

(Snip)
    The strategy was to survive and still be around to screw up a potential German invasion (Operation Sealion). He very very deliberately only fed in enough opposition each day to frustrate German raids but without letting RAF casualty rates get too high. He was under tremendous pressure from some of his more gung-ho colleagues (such as Leigh-Mallory) to put more planes in the air and make a big fight of it - which would have led to an early exit and defeat. The Germans on the other hand played their strategy abysmally.

Brilliant post thanks.

Well don't forget Hugh Dowding as well. Leigh Mallory organised a coup d'etat after the BoB getting rid of both of them in favour of the 'big wing' concept. Dowding and Park couldn't defend themselves as many of the people in the enquiry weren't 'in the know' about Ultra (Bletchley was decoding the Luftwaffe messages by breakfast).
    Wikipedia says, and I’ve read this elsewhere, too, that neither Dowding nor Park were’politicians’ and simply weren’t up to the job of dealing with Leigh-Mallory’s machinations.
  • Options

I think it's entirely possible that the CDU ends up on 40%, but with whom can they dance?

SPD + Linke + Greens will not have a majority
    FDP on their own won't be enough
    The (new) AfD would not be acceptable
    The SPD will not go into coalition with the CDU again

The only remotely stable coalition would be CDU + FDP + Greens.
  • Options

There's a good reason they call that position "Silly Point". You've got to be silly to stand there, and you get hit at point blank range!
  • Options

Dave will quite happily give her advice on forming a successful coalition and how to play the black widow
    Looking in more detail at those figures the AfD is now Germany's third largest party on 15 %

Given german polls consistently underreport AfD support, the question is will they overtake the SPD which is now down to 20% ?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

CDU-Grüne is occasionally a thing:
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarz-grüne_Koalition
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Scott_P said:
    14% still seems high to me.............
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Scott_P said:

And not suffering from the possibility that may well soon end.....
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

chortle

No deflection at all

Not to exist anymore?

Oh ffs.
  • Options
    How do voting rights work in Germany? Just wondering if the 2m or so who have arrived in Merkel's flood can vote in federal elections. I'd guess not, but just wondering. If they do have voting rights, that's a lot of potential votes.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    The old mans comparing him to Mark Duggan... I'm sure plenty would agree

https://twitter.com/dailymailuk/status/817312117535756288
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Scott_P said:

Is says we were optomists and we couldn't believe the voters couldn't be that stupid :lol:
    Some might argue they did take voters to be that stupid.

I mean come on, when the treasury weighed in and talks of punishment beatings err emergency budgets if we dared leave.

Yet the "thickos" didn't believe them

Turns out the thickos were right and it really was all so much shit wasn't it.

Cameron and Osborne took the people for mugs and paid the price.

Who were the idiots then?

Oh well, never mind

• Options
    Floater said:

Scott_P said:
    14% still seems high to me.............
    I suppose you could argue that one might think May would be better at the job than Corbyn, but still prefer the latter doing it.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Turns out the thickos were right and it really was all so much shit wasn't it.

You do know we haven't left yet, right?
This discussion has been closed.