Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Is it Darkest before the Dawn? A look at the battle for the Ho

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    Labour's 2015 percentage was despite a 6.7% coalition punishment loss for the Lib Dems so their underlying position may be declining even faster.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Is this how it ends for Jezza? A very bad defeat could be what does for him - or will it be explained away as being due to the lack of support for the dear leader?

It's utterly a must win for Corbyn. I wonder how motivated MPs will be to campaign for him *wink wink*
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950

Will the Nutty Boy stand for the Kippers? Cumbria is in his euro-region.

Suggest Labour find a union official from Sellafield who voted Leave. Not a Momentumite from Islington.

That would be far too sensible of Labour. Stands by for a parachuted SpAd from Corbynsville.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited December 2016
    Cookie said:

How exciting! Copeland is about as far as it is possible to be - geographically and temperamentally - from Islington North. Interesting to see how Labour play this.
    May be a small majority, but the Labour vote in these parts is extremely sticky, and swings tend to be low.
    Coverage likely to be less exccitable than Richmond. I'd be surprised if any political correspondents even know anyone who lives in Whitehaven.

Not to mention the language barrier (this Islingtonian, however, does know people in the constituency - my dad was born there).
  • Options

Fire up the barcharts! Looks like a Labour/UKIP fight.

Agreed. This by-election is absolutely tailor made for UKIP: Leave leaning; not mega Tory historically, and Tories in government and struggling with Brexit; Labour led by alienating metropolitan southern Marxist.

Everything we've heard about UKIP replacing Labour in the north lives or dies on this result. UKIP's future is stark: win here or disband.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Pulpstar said:

Although it does border the safest Lib Dem seat in England interestingly enough ! This won't get soft peddled, Farron will want to do as well as possible here.

I rather doubt that, given their starting position.

Still, any party which takes votes off Labour shouldn't be discouraged!
    Why wouldn't Farron want to do as well here as possible given it is his neighbouring constituency ?
  • Options
    This has look and feel of the Darlington byelection in 1983. Michael Foot's leadership was on the line. Ossie O'Brien held for Labour then lost the seat three months later in the general election.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,577
    PlatoSaid said:

Never mind the size of Reed's majority - how tall is he?

Kawczynski worked in the business entertainment industry before he became an international account manager in the telecommunications industry, a position he held for ten years.[5] At 6 feet 8 1⁄2 inches (204.5 cm), he claimed in 2005 to be the tallest MP in history and "officially a giant".[6]
    Sadly not one of the intellectual variety.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061

Mr. Doethur, quite. Poor child.

Mr. Pubgoer, happy birthday. Hope you don't get birthday and Christmas presents rolled into one.

Thanks MD.
    Joint presents has been pretty much the case

From a family where three siblings and two other family members have holidays within a week of christmas, our tradition is one present on your birthday, then load up on xmas instead.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    I'd say this should be a Govt win.

Tory vote should hold up whilst Labour vote collapses (some to LD, some to UKIP, and some straight Tory switchers).
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Miss Plato, one of the seminars at university (psychology degree, 99% female course) was about what people found attractive unattractive [men - if you ever find yourself in a comparable situation the correct answer is saying you find women who are too skinny unattractive].

A tall, and quite lovely, girl said she didn't like dating shorter men (she must've been 6' or 6'2", so that's quite a lot of chaps) to which there was much nodding of agreement.

I'm 5 7 and feel uncomfortable with men under 5 11. If I'm taller in heels - I feel like their mum/protector. It's a very strong and weird instinct I've tried to overcome and can't. Same with men who look noticeably younger. I'm happiest with same age/ 6 1 - 6 4.
    It's a real bugger, as I am sure many 5 7 men, such as myself, quite like many tall women, and we don't, drumroll, get a look in.
  • Options

This has look and feel of the Darlington byelection in 1983. Michael Foot's leadership was on the line. Ossie O'Brien held for Labour then lost the seat three months later in the general election.

If the tories win it it might give them confidence for a GE.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Why wouldn't Farron want to do as well here as possible given it is his neighbouring constituency ?

All parties want to do as well as possible, but they have to be realistic about resources and where it's best to put the effort in. I'd expect them to run a solid but fairly low-key campaign.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    MTimT said:

Mr Meeks, you have Santa all wrong. He is a conservative. We know for sure because Fox News has told us:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/12/19/is-santa-claus-dare-say-it-conservative.html

It is actually a funny piece.

:lol:
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,577
    Mortimer said:

Tory vote should hold up whilst Labour vote collapses (some to LD, some to UKIP, and some straight Tory switchers).

UKIP will split the Tory vote too surely.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,091
    Sandpit said:

Suggest Labour find a union official from Sellafield who voted Leave. Not a Momentumite from Islington.

That would be far too sensible of Labour. Stands by for a parachuted SpAd from Corbynsville.
    It'll also be interesting to see who the Conservatives get to stand, and their position. It'd have to be a leaver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copeland_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

Does anyone have a breakdown at the referendum for that constituency? How heavily did it lean to leave?
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

@ydoethur Three and Sky (& BT Wholesale I guess) run my "Phone system(s). It works OK.

When are you scheduled to get gigabit fibre optic? Sky are building a trial network in Yorkshire right now with a view to going national at some point, BT aren't even close.
    Whereabouts in Yorkshire ?

I'm just outside... my office is in Sheffield though, and that has a unique problem of slow speed.
    http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/ultrafast/?DCMP=dmc-skycom:nc_ufo

I think Sheffield is actually on their list of places to expand into. It's a good medium sized city. London will never get it though, we'll have to wait 20 years for BT to catch up.
    Why won't London get it? They are always digging up roads.
    The cost would be astranomical for a new entrant. Especially since BT will never share the existing infrastructure. At a guess they'd be looking at ~£5-7bn to fibre up the whole of London and then I think the government will force them to let BT use it afterwards which I think would be extremely unfair.
    Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Re: Tall women, surely some on here will admit to having had a passing crush on CJ Cregg in TWW?

I am still playing the Amy Gardner long-game....
  • Options
    Paul Joseph Watson
    Epic Montage Video Illustrates How Badly the Media Failed in 2016 - https://t.co/zLWkLHqkd9
  • Options
    Might not the relative closeness of the top two in Copeland help Labour's vote hold up? In by-elections in safe seats they've done better than expected, IIRC, and tribal vote is still good?
  • Options
    Back of fag packet prediction:

Labour 32%
    UKIP 29%
    Conservative 17%
    Lib Dem 17%
    Others 5%
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021
    I think the LDs should throw all they can at this one. It'll be a big test of their ability to pick up disillusioned voters from both Con and Lab. A strong UKIP campaign could also help them considerably. Huge (virtually impossible) ask to win from 3.5%, but they should be able to get into the 20s.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

UKIP will split the Tory vote too surely.
    Not on current polling.

The Colonels and Golf club members have come home...
  • Options
    sealo0sealo0 Posts: 48
    edited December 2016
    Hi
    By election alert

Breaking News image
    Labour MP Jamie Reed is quitting Parliament to take a job in the nuclear industry.

So another one gives up

Mike
  • Options
    @ThomasNashe I'm sure you're totally trying to be helpful
  • Options

Sandpit said:

It'll also be interesting to see who the Conservatives get to stand, and their position. It'd have to be a leaver.

Does anyone have a breakdown at the referendum for that constituency? How heavily did it lean to leave?
    Faisal Islam has cited a figure of 62% Leave on twitter.

Chris Hanretty has apparently given 59.8% Leave.
  • Options

I think the LDs should throw all they can at this one. It'll be a big test of their ability to pick up disillusioned voters from both Con and Lab. A strong UKIP campaign could also help them considerably. Huge (virtually impossible) ask to win from 3.5%, but they should be able to get into the 20s.

Not a chance.

What are these disillusioned Tory voters you speak of? TSE may post often but he is but one chap (albeit, apparently, with many pairs of shoes)
  • Options

Sandpit said:

The Guardian article linked above said 62% leave, but not sure how close the council area is to the constituency boundary.

Tories should find a local businessman or councillor leaver to stand. Their 2015 GE candidate was a Stephen Haraldsen, do we know anything about him?
  • Options

Labour 32%
    UKIP 29%
    Conservative 17%
    Lib Dem 17%
    Others 5%

Con to drop from within spitting distance of winning to tied for (meaningful) last? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Sandpit said:

Faisal Islam has cited a figure of 62% Leave on twitter.

Chris Hanretty has apparently given 59.8% Leave.
    Thanks.

Edit: this isn't going to happen, but if Labour, UKIP and the Conservatives all fight on leavers' ground, there is a teensy possibility that the Lib Dems might hoover up enough remain votes to win.

Then again, the Lib Dems seem to have consistently been at 11% or below in this constituency. It's not fertile ground for them.
  • Options
    sealo0 said:

Hi
    So another one gives up

Outside tragic events, it does still feel like there have been a lot of by-elections in recent years
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited December 2016
    Imagine Corbyn trying to sell his anti nuclear power views to workers at Sellafield.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Copeland - Depending on choice of candidate I would expect a reasonably comfortable Labour hold .
    UKIP local organisation is virtually non existent just 1 candidate in the whole council 2015 elections . Lib Dem organisation almost as bad though they have some support in the 4 Allerdale wards in the parliamentary constituency . Should if the national opinion polls were correct be a Conservative win but I expect them to be shown up to be false yet again.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    I think the Tories best hope in Copeland is if it's a three way battle, it feels like the type of area where a strong UKIP showing would harm Labour more. I could see something like Tories 38% Lab 35% UKIP 22%
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

The Guardian article linked above said 62% leave, but not sure how close the council area is to the constituency boundary.

Tories should find a local businessman or councillor leaver to stand. Their 2015 GE candidate was a Stephen Haraldsen, do we know anything about him?
    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/stephen-haraldsen-44332a26

I would personally suggest they go with someone different.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BethRigby: Labour MP: "Reed begins 'chicken run' where good MPs who know they'll lose in GE where Corbyn is leader take up other work in advance"
  • Options
    Test of the informal 'progressive alliance'. Labour stood in Richmond but by many accounts people didn't put their hearts into it, same thing here from the LDs?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Imagine Corbyn trying to sell his anti nuclear power views to workers at Sellafield.

I'd say the Tories will do a very good job of educating the residents of Copeland about Mr Corbyn's views of all things nuclear.
  • Options
    Copeland and its predecessor, Whitehaven, has only been won once by the Conservatives since 1906. This was in 1931. Therefore a Conservative win would take Labour back to 1931. At the 1931 GE Labour lost 225 seats and dropped to 52. The 52 is generous as it includes 6 breakaway ILP MPs.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,745
    If Labour lose Copeland it would be a Stinging defeat.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@BethRigby: Labour MP: "Reed begins 'chicken run' where good MPs who know they'll lose in GE where Corbyn is leader take up other work in advance"

I do wonder if there's more in the pipeline?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

That sounds, err, ominous. Or bloody hilarious, depending on your point of view!
  • Options
    Right Ms May, time to throw the kitchen sink at this one!!!
  • Options

It might yet put on the red light.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Morris Dancer, I think my function is to make everyone around me feel tall! Even some of my shorter friends are taller than me - 5'2, 5'3 etc. My mum is also short as well - she's 5'0 too. My dad is 5'9.

My petite female friends have a special appeal - they get the guys who want to protect and are usually really nice chaps. Height seems to have a noticeable impact on personality.

A good friend is 6 7 and horribly self conscious/stooping/shuffling - everything about his posture says I Hate Being This Tall And Slim.
    Re your first point: yes, I've experienced that in my own personal life! I used to hate being short, but now I've come to terms with it.

I think your friend should embrace his height. When he goes shopping it surely must be an advantage!

@Morris_Dancer Thanks!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    With a nom de plume of RKRKRK this anti-trumpian can only sit on his lily and go Breekrkrk.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

That sounds, err, ominous. Or bloody hilarious, depending on your point of view!
    Reed was a pretty blunt and outspoken example of an anti-corbynite, IIRC, so I wouldn't be surprised if not as many are as bold as just call it quits like him.
  • Options
    Will Doc Nuttall have the bottle to stand himself?
  • Options

The question is will Labour select a Remainer? If they do, then the LDs will then be under pressure to withdraw but they only had 3.5% of the vote at GE2015. Likewise the Conservatives have to choose a LEAVEr. If they do, will UKIP stand aside to have a straight REMAIN vs LEAVE fight?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    kle4 said:

Test of the informal 'progressive alliance'. Labour stood in Richmond but by many accounts people didn't put their hearts into it, same thing here from the LDs?

No chance lol
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seO5-x_ue_g

Christmas celebrations in Aleppo.

Better than ours!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2016
    The Tories must fancy their chances of winning Copeland with Corbyn in charge of Labour. But a strong UKIP showing could mess up those plans.
  • Options
    There's a part of me that wants Labour to lose this by-election just to see how Corbyn, Thronberry, and Abbott respond. It would also be yet more writing on the wall for Corbyn.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Probably previous parliamentary candidate Chris Whiteside .
  • Options

It might yet put on the red light.
    They'll be sending out an SOS
  • Options

Labour 32%
    UKIP 29%
    Conservative 17%
    Lib Dem 17%
    Others 5%

Con to drop from within spitting distance of winning to tied for (meaningful) last? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Lol.
    I agree David. Unless they pick a REMAINer.
  • Options

I've never understood why people are so cavalier about their kitchen sinks - cannot another piece of kitchen furnishing indicate our commitment to giving our all just as well?
  • Options

I beat you all to the Jamie Reed story.

We salute your indefatigability, sir!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:

I'd say the Tories will do a very good job of educating the residents of Copeland about Mr Corbyn's views of all things nuclear.
    Arthur S
    A message to the employees of Sellafield from Rt Hon Jeremy Corbyn MP: https://t.co/oXzfy8MNGC
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

@Sandpit Clearly life is better under Putin, Assad and Hezbollah than Obama, Al-Nusra and ISIS :D

Great to see Christmas celebrated everywhere in the world, especially where there has been conflict during the year.

Also great to point out to the atheist jobsworths in Britain that it's Christmas in most of the Muslim world too - or maybe that 50' tree I walked past last night - with a full size nativity scene at the base - was for something else?
    https://twitter.com/MallofEmirates/status/809361896734359552

Merry Christmas everyone!
    A polar bear in a red scarf! Awwww.
    Asylum seeker from the North Polar ice cap?
  • Options
    Jamie Reed has done the moderate cause in Labour a power of good. This is an excellent day. There can be no spinning a Labour defeat. It will be calamitous for the leadership. The only chance of victory is to field a pro-nuclear, local candidate - ie, an anti-Corbynista.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I've never understood why people are so cavalier about their kitchen sinks - cannot another piece of kitchen furnishing indicate our commitment to giving our all just as well?
    Well, Zac Goldsmith threw the septic tank at London...
  • Options
    It's a shame Workington isn't in the constituency, as I have a picture of a derailed wagon that might suitably sum up the Labour Party at this time.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:

Arthur S
    A message to the employees of Sellafield from Rt Hon Jeremy Corbyn MP: https://t.co/oXzfy8MNGC
    Ha ha. That didn't take long now, did it.
    Hi Copeland residents (waves)!
    https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/261528365910085632
  • Options
    kle4 said:

More similarity to UKIP in Copeland if the Conservatives put up a LEAVEr. Kipper activists, are few in number and would not put much effort in. When they do have a REMAIN target kippers effort is higher than the other parties IMHO.
  • Options
    Looks like a real challenge for Lab. In some of the other by-elections they have faced like Tooting and Oldham, there has been a significant ethnic minority population, which has helped them hold the line. The borough of Copeland is 99.3% white.

It's not even a case of losing voters to UKIP or LD. They could lose on differential turnout if the Tories are better at motivating their rural voters to turnout for a by-election in winter.
  • Options

There's a part of me that wants Labour to lose this by-election just to see how Corbyn, Thronberry, and Abbott respond.

Area felt let down by previous MP.
    LDs split the progressive vote selfishly.
    Non-Corbynites undermined the campaign.
    The media focused onthe wrong things.
    Tory lies.
    Tory overspending.
    Winter by-election, poorer people don't have the nice coats to get to the polling station.
    Seat is uniquely different, so no lessons to be learned.
    Got more than the national vote share in polls, shows message is cutting through.
    Message was right but not well delivered.
    Tory lies.

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021

The_Apocalypse

There's a part of me that wants Labour to lose this by-election just to see how Corbyn, Thronberry, and Abbott respond. It would also be yet more writing on the wall for Corbyn.

That wall already has more text than the complete works of Shakespeare and Bible combined!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited December 2016
    Not all. The Doctor won't see you now.

https://twitter.com/BBCRichardMoss/status/811574341251072001

• Options
    I wonder if Paul Nuttall might stand in Copeland, as a dry run for Leigh.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    I do sincerely hope Mr Corbyn visits this constituency, if he's even heard of it before today.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Will Ed Balls get the nod? it would be lovely to see him lose again!
  • Options

The_Apocalypse

That wall already has more text than the complete works of Shakespeare and Bible combined!

A true testament to the fantastic construction, by the workers, of the wall itself. Jeremy stands for those builders.
  • Options
    Jason said:

I do sincerely hope Mr Corbyn visits this constituency, if he's even heard of it before today.

He's heard of it. It's where they keep that evil nuclear stuff he wants to get rid of!
  • Options
    Any opening odds?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Probably previous parliamentary candidate Chris Whiteside .
    I agree - he is active there already. But he described himself as a "floater" at the referendum. On reflection his local connections should get him the candidacy, but UKIP will then fight it as well. The question is who will Labour select?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Jason said:

He's heard of it. It's where they keep that evil nuclear stuff he wants to get rid of!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c3n-mh5bck
  • Options
    The key to Copeland result may be the Independent Copeland mayor Mike Starkie . Will he stand as an Independent or be drafted in by a major party and/or will he endorse one of the main parties candidate .
  • Options
    IIRC Copeland had the highest percentage of people ticking the "Christian" box at the 2011 census. Doesn't mean they're practising Christians of course, but its an indicator of the sort of constituency it is in cultural terms.
  • Options
    On topic, I had no idea, even with the safe seats situation being even worse in the US, that so few seats change hands at most american elections.
  • Options

The key to Copeland result may be the Independent Copeland mayor Mike Starkie . Will he stand as an Independent or be drafted in by a major party and/or will he endorse one of the main parties candidate .

That's good local knowledge. Thanks.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408

Jamie Reed has done the moderate cause in Labour a power of good. This is an excellent day. There can be no spinning a Labour defeat. It will be calamitous for the leadership. The only chance of victory is to field a pro-nuclear, local candidate - ie, an anti-Corbynista.

Tend to agree. About the only useful thing Labour MPs from the sane part of the party can do now is quit. Hard to believe a government struggling with Brexit could win a seat but this has to be a real possibility here.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408
    Jason said:

It's a long way from London and the trains are terribly overcrowded. Apparently.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Note the Mayoral result held on GE day 2015

Labour Steve Gibbons 12,867
    Ind Mike Starkie 9,836
    Con Chris Whiteside 9,509

after 2nd count

Ind 15,233
    Lab 14,529
  • Options
    kle4 said:

There's a part of me that wants Labour to lose this by-election just to see how Corbyn, Thronberry, and Abbott respond.

Area felt let down by previous MP.
    LDs split the progressive vote selfishly.
    Non-Corbynites undermined the campaign.
    The media focused onthe wrong things.
    Tory lies.
    Tory overspending.
    Winter by-election, poorer people don't have the nice coats to get to the polling station.
    Seat is uniquely different, so no lessons to be learned.
    Got more than the national vote share in polls, shows message is cutting through.
    Message was right but not well delivered.
    Tory lies.

LOL at that line about nice coats. Worse thing is, I wouldn't actually be surprised to see them use that excuse either. Given that this is a safe Labour seat, thought I don't think the 'unique seat' line will play well.

@ThomasNashe Indeed, but Moamentum are destroying themselves and the hard left are running out of excuses.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

The leadership would be happy with that, surely? Any victory will be a victory for them, even if the winner is not about to join the inner circle of comrades, and with the MPs cowed in any case even a virulently anti-Corbyn new MP would keep their heads down in the short term.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,680
    edited December 2016
    How exciting. Theresa May should really throw the kitchen sink at this (she needs to make up for the loss of Goldsmith) but I'm not sure I'd back the Tories at less than evens.

There is a strong cultural aversion to the Conservatives in this area, and the party hasn't won the seat for a very long time.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,745
    "Labour Steve Gibbons 12,867"

See, to be elected mayor, it isn't enough to be named after a monkey, you have to dress up as a monkey too. Good effort though.

However, might the funky Mr Gibbons be the Lab candidate in the by-election?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The leadership would be happy with that, surely? Any victory will be a victory for them, even if the winner is not about to join the inner circle of comrades, and with the MPs cowed in any case even a virulently anti-Corbyn new MP would keep their heads down in the short term.
    If I were a moderate Labour MP I'd want to be knocking up for the Tories.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    edited December 2016
    The Conservatives have a core vote in the countryside and small towns and villages, but I can't see them changing many minds in Cleator Moor and the like. Their best hope is that Labour voters just don't turn out, or that there are Lab-UKIP switchers which let the Tories through the middle.
  • Options

See, to be elected mayor, it isn't enough to be named after a monkey, you have to dress up as a monkey too. Good effort though.

<pedant mode> A gibbon isn't a monkey. </pedant mode>
  • Options
    Jack Cunningham was MP from 1970 to 2005. He was on the right of the party IIRC.

The Tories won a by-election in neighbouring Workington in 1976 but lost it back to Labour at the 1979 general election.
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    Tories won nearby Workington in the late 1970's against the Lib/Lab pact govt.
  • Options
    "The Conservatives have a core vote in the countryside and small towns and villages, but I can't see them changing many minds in Cleator Moor and the like. Their best hope is that Labour voters just don't turn out, or that there are Lab-UKIP switchers which let the Tories through the middle."

Both of these things seem likely, don't they?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    A gibbon isn't a monkey.

An absolute classic PB post. Thank you Mr. Navabi for my first real belly laugh of the day.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Donald trump wrote a series of letter to Alex Salmond. A FOI has requested them. I like the underlining.

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/811539156149141504
  • Options

<pedant mode> A gibbon isn't a monkey. </pedant mode>
    They're funkies, not monkeys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXq8rELhUkw
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468
    edited December 2016
    sealo0 said:

Hi
    By election alert

Breaking News image
    Labour MP Jamie Reed is quitting Parliament to take a job in the nuclear industry.

So another one gives up

Mike

Nucular. It's pronounced Nucular.

Nucular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoASZyihalc
This discussion has been closed.