Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Andy Burnham’s victory in first Gtr Manchester Mayoral Race sh

124»

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

I can't see the French accepting a Briton as head of the IMF especially post Brexit. But does Lagarde have to resign over this ? I thought it was a negligence charge in an administrative court ?

Osborne is a fully paid up EUphile though, might be a good compromise candidate. Especially since the last two have been French and one had to resign after a pimping scandal and now one is staring down the barrel of a gun on financial irregularities.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    The IMF has never had a British MD - https://www.imf.org/external/np/exr/chron/mds.asp
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

AFP
    #BREAKING IMF chief Lagarde convicted by French court over tycoon payout

Enter George Osborne. Could be helpful for everyone as it removes a potential leadership rival for May and he gets to swan about at the IMF.
    He's remaining exclusively in British politics
    But he could go and come back for 2025 and have a run at the leadership after that election (assiming Labour get their act together). He'd be favourite for the position off the back of the IMF directorship. He'd also be better at it than Lagarde IMO as he's a more impartial observer to the EMU crisis than a French person would be. She got far too bogged down in all of that rubbish and appeasement of the ECB and EU on their stupid policies when she should have been much more forceful with the major EU nations to run fiscally expansionary policies.
    Dates won't work for him, especially if Mrs May calls or is forced to hold an early general election.

Plus Osborne also sees himself as the keeper of the Cameron/One Nation flame burning within the Parliamentary party.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Welsh people all speak English as their first language. I lived there for four years and the only time Welsh as a subject ever came up was friends of mine bitching that they had study it at school despite it being a dead language.

That's not true. When I worked at ONS I met someone who was first language Welsh. It was a bit odd because you wouldn't know if she didn't tell you that that was the case. But she said she sometimes had trouble remembering the English for some things.
    That's really surprising, I didn't come across any in four years.
    Wales is a big place. It's about the size of Wales.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    BBC: "Ms Lagarde was not present in the court in Paris for the verdict, having left France for Washington."

I believe the term is 'fled the country'.
  • Options
    Might be an appeal anyway according to BBC.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Welsh people all speak English as their first language. I lived there for four years and the only time Welsh as a subject ever came up was friends of mine bitching that they had study it at school despite it being a dead language.

That's not true. When I worked at ONS I met someone who was first language Welsh. It was a bit odd because you wouldn't know if she didn't tell you that that was the case. But she said she sometimes had trouble remembering the English for some things.
    What's that in Olympic swimming pools?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

AFP

Enter George Osborne. Could be helpful for everyone as it removes a potential leadership rival for May and he gets to swan about at the IMF.
    But he could go and come back for 2025 and have a run at the leadership after that election (assiming Labour get their act together). He'd be favourite for the position off the back of the IMF directorship. He'd also be better at it than Lagarde IMO as he's a more impartial observer to the EMU crisis than a French person would be. She got far too bogged down in all of that rubbish and appeasement of the ECB and EU on their stupid policies when she should have been much more forceful with the major EU nations to run fiscally expansionary policies.
    Dates won't work for him, especially if Mrs May calls or is forced to hold an early general election.

Plus Osborne also sees himself as the keeper of the Cameron/One Nation flame burning within the Parliamentary party.
    Right now I don't see how he can make a run at the leadership and win. Brexit or no Brexit, Osborne isn't popular within the party or with the public. Even if Brexit is a complete and utter failure him saying "I told you so" doesn't win any friends.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

2.4 billion London buses.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

About 8. Give or take.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TCP

I never believe the words "no doubt". The EU has some competence - actually competition is the one area where the Commission has strong executive powers - to act.

"No doubt" is one of those phrases which, like "clearly", "obviously" and "of course", should be circled in red ink and considered very carefully indeed. They're usually tells that the writer hasn't thought in any detail about what he or she has written and usually skate over hidden assumptions.
    Clearly correct.
    My GCSE English teacher back in the day taught us never to write "clearly" or "obviously" - if it's that obvious, it doesn't need to be said at all...
  • Options
    Forcing all immigrants to learn Ulster Scots would be awesome.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

AFP

Right now I don't see how he can make a run at the leadership and win. Brexit or no Brexit, Osborne isn't popular within the party or with the public. Even if Brexit is a complete and utter failure him saying "I told you so" doesn't win any friends.
    There's been talk of Mrs May bringing him back to into cabinet, she's not been impressed by the quality of Liam Fox nor Boris Johnson.

I told you so worked for Sir Winston's ambition.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

AFP

I thought he came across well on Marr yesterday. A lot lighter than in his CoE days. Someone you could actually have a drink with.

I'll phone for the medics.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

She's from Anglesey, I believe that's where the Welsh language is most prominent.
  • Options
    I love learning languages, as a fluent speaker of seven languages, I refuse to learn Welsh, as the Welsh language was invented by someone crap at scrabble.
  • Options
    Mr. Quidder, in writing, the word 'suddenly' should generally be avoided because you're effectively saying 'I'm going to give you a surprise. It probably would have been a surprise, anyway, but I thought I'd spoil it for you'.

Although you can perhaps use it in comedy in a silly way.

Politicians like 'clearly', 'I think what's important...' etc etc because it fills time with empty words. They speak without saying anything which means there's nothing for scalp-hunting journalists to attack.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

AFP

There's been talk of Mrs May bringing him back to into cabinet, she's not been impressed by the quality of Liam Fox nor Boris Johnson.

I told you so worked for Sir Winston's ambition.
    Well I'd love to see him come back, but in don't know what he'd do. Maybe combine FS and TS into a single portfolio and give it to Osborne.

Churchill was a different era and 10x the political that Osborne is. Maggie said it to all those economists and it worked for her, the difference is that Osborne will be saying it to 65% of the party members who voted leave and 60% of Tory voters who voted leave. Not an easy proposition.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    edited December 2016

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

What's that in Olympic-sized swimming pools?

Edit: beaten to it. Gah
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    Wow. High frequency trader Vincent Viola is new Secretary of the Army. He's one of the people that made billions by seeing that you are buying 1,000 shares of IBM, and buying them before you, before selling them back to you at very slightly more than he paid for them.
  • Options
    Bad news for saddos:

"Jediism not a religion, Charity Commission rules"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38368526

They could always covert to Jezzaism.
  • Options
    Still watching that video in bits and pieces, but the bit on normal curves exactly corresponds to my own view (although it's amusing you'll get some people happy to believe men are more prone to learning difficulties, violence and low intelligence but aghast and offended at the idea men are also more prone to be geniuses).
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045
    edited December 2016

I love learning languages, as a fluent speaker of seven languages, I refuse to learn Welsh, as the Welsh language was invented by someone crap at scrabble.

Whilst I was walking through Wales one time, my Aussie ex made the mistake of telling a Welsh woman they did not have enough vowels. "We have," the woman said, "two more vowels than the English."

"Well use them," my gf replied.

I've certainly heard little in Cardiff or Swansea, a bit in Pembrokeshire, and loads in the Lleyn and Anglesea areas. On the north coast you just get Liverpudlian. ;)

I cannot remember its name or the details, but ISTR there's a line across Wales, south of which it was historically illegal to learn Welsh. Which is why the language has held on so well in the north, and less well in the Valleys.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    edited December 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Wow. High frequency trader Vincent Viola is new Secretary of the Army. He's one of the people that made billions by seeing that you are buying 1,000 shares of IBM, and buying them before you, before selling them back to you at very slightly more than he paid for them.

Isn't front running illegal ?

I'm not sure if it is or not, but it definitely should be - it beggars the genuine man in the street !
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,853
    PlatoSaid said:

Meeting a single person gives @MaxPB point more weight - as not the exception.

Um, point of order: since MaxPB's assertion was that "Welsh people all speak English as their first language", then the discovery of a single Welsh person who does not speak English as their first language is sufficient to disprove it. If MaxPB had used a phrase like "...the majority of..." then things would have been different.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452
    If I moved to Caernarfon, I'd expect to learn Welsh. Wales is a bit of a funny example, because even in North West Wales, language is a bit of a village-to-village thing - so there are some parts of North Wales I think you could reasonably move to and operate perfectly well speaking English: there's no real point putting yourself out to learn a language that your native neighbours don't actually speak. But if you live in a town where most natives speak a different language, then yes, I think you could reasonably be expected to speak that language.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, probably a legacy of the marcher lords who dominated south Wales (such as William Marshal, and, I think, Roger Mortimer).
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Still watching that video in bits and pieces, but the bit on normal curves exactly corresponds to my own view (although it's amusing you'll get some people happy to believe men are more prone to learning difficulties, violence and low intelligence but aghast and offended at the idea men are also more prone to be geniuses).

There's some great truths in there - the disposable nature of men/women and children first only - spot on.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

AFP

Might he not have his head turned by a major global role?
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, probably a legacy of the marcher lords who dominated south Wales (such as William Marshal, and, I think, Roger Mortimer).

Very possibly. I can't remember where I read or heard it, but I recall the line had a name and there was a diagram of it.

Annoyingly, I cannot find anything about it on t'Internet, which is making me wonder whether I've misremebered something ...
  • Options

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

2.4 billion London buses.
    Dammit, you beat me to it!
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Awkward - video

PA
    Stormont Assembly is plunged into crisis after all non-Democratic Unionist members walk out ahead of a disputed statement by Arlene Foster https://t.co/wj9BL8sWXs

Doesn't augur well for her in a VoNC.
  • Options
    GO & the IMF - surely they would be looking for someone who is qualified in Economics and has a successful track record of delivering against targets?

Ozzy, alas, has neither. I'm sure he's quite happy earning a wheelbarrow full of cash each time he stands up to witter on for half an hour, and popping up on the Marr sofa once in a while to make a few jokes about Ed Balls.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, the internet can often be missing info or have misleading information. A marcher lord legacy fits the geography nicely, I think.
  • Options
    Just on Jediism: how come Scientology gets afforded charitable religious status, but the Jedi don't?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472
    edited December 2016
    MaxPB said:

In gaming news, it looks seriously like Nintendo's next console is going to be garbage again. Sigh.

Nintendo have always been about applications, not the processing power of the hardware (except perhaps back in the SNES days).
  • Options

MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

AFP

Might he not have his head turned by a major global role?
    He might, I don't think it is a job that appeals to him.

Plus I'm not sure Mrs May wants another by election in a seat that voted Remain.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

Yorkcity said:

The loyalty oath reminds me of Blairs dragging them to cash points policy.lasted a Sunday afternoon.When they have nothing sensible to say, why don't they just shut the f up.,Was surprised Osborne on Marr thought it was a good idea.Thought he had more nous than that.Politicians are certainly a different breed with no common sense sometimes.

Quite what the mechanism is by which a graduate Sir Humphrey mumbling a few words in Whitehall encourages a Muslim woman in Luton to learn better English isn't fully explained.
    When my mother came over, her English was not good at all. There were no Italian translations of all and sundry. She learnt to speak better English because she had to. When in Rome etc.
    I don't know all the counterarguments, but it is clear to me that immigrants should acquire the language to become a proper citizen. This should not be controversial. If I wanted to become a Finnish citizen I would have to pass a quite rigorous language test. By no means an easy task, yet hardly anyone cavils.
    I presume you'd have no problem with English people being required to learn Welsh if they move to Caernarfon?
    Do you take pride in being an obtuse idiot?
    More ad-hominem stuff. Yawn.

Perhaps you could tell me where my logic is faulty? Is it because Wales isn't a proper nation? Would you like to tell the Welsh that? Or perhaps it's because the obligation to use the local language doesn't apply to the English?
    I said Caernarfon, not the whole of Wales. From Wikipedia:

"Within Wales, Gwynedd has the highest proportion of speakers of the Welsh language. The greatest concentration of Welsh speakers in Gwynedd is found in and around Caernarfon.[33] According to the 2001 Census, 86.1% of the population could speak Welsh; the largest majority of Welsh speakers was found in the 10-14 age group, where 97.7% could speak it fluently."

My point stands. If the rule is 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do", then "Pan yng Nghymru yn ei wneud fel y Gymraeg yn ei wneud"
    Then you defeat your own argument, which was that Wales is a nation.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Cookie said:

If I moved to Caernarfon, I'd expect to learn Welsh. Wales is a bit of a funny example, because even in North West Wales, language is a bit of a village-to-village thing - so there are some parts of North Wales I think you could reasonably move to and operate perfectly well speaking English: there's no real point putting yourself out to learn a language that your native neighbours don't actually speak. But if you live in a town where most natives speak a different language, then yes, I think you could reasonably be expected to speak that language.

Like Bradford? At what point does the sub-regionalising stop?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm not sure if it is or not, but it definitely should be - it beggars the genuine man in the street !
    It's not front running. Which is illegal.

It is having a computer which is faster than yours. Which is not illegal.
  • Options
    If there were to be a by-election in Tatton, UKIP could field Neil Hamilton as their candidate.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

You should read Flashboys by Michael Lewis.

It is really remarkable what it legal.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907

If there were to be a by-election in Tatton, UKIP could field Neil Hamilton as their candidate.

Are the residents of Tatton not thoroughly fed up with Mr Hamilton by now?
  • Options

Nah after the fun UKIP in Wales had over double jobbing

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14688624.Welsh_Ukip_leader_quits_assembly_party_group_in__double_jobbing__row/
  • Options
    Aha!

I think this is it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landsker_Line

Not quite what I remembered, but nearly there.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited December 2016
    I heard Welsh spoken in Sainsbury's in a very central part of Cardiff last week. Not a very unusual occurrence these days at all.

In terms of everyone speaking English in Wales (aside from the under 5's where there are quite a fair few I imagine who will not, if they have two Welsh speaking parents) that probably seems true. That said there are clearly a number for whom Welsh is the by far the more natural and used and you can hear it in the intonation and choice of words and phrases when they do speak English.

It's a remarkable survival story really, considering it's been sat next to the most expansive language in the history of the world for nigh on 1600 years.

Addendum; Under Brexit everything shall be compared to the size of "Wales". All references to things being the size of "Belgium" (the EU equivalent of a "Wales") are to be banned as part of the withdrawl process. This is of course non negotiable.
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    JosiasJessop: are you thinking of the Landsker line in Pembrokeshire?

There was an interesting program on S4C (in welsh) a few years back, interviewing ethnic minority immigrants to Wales who had learnt welsh.
    I particlularly remember that there were a couple of Indian girls in their late teens from Machynlleth whose welsh was flawless.
  • Options

Might be an appeal anyway according to BBC.

Well yes, isn't what those continentals do? Appeal decisions until they become time barred or are overturned and we start again or everybody loses interest or whatever.

Their systems are corrupt and Court decisions finding such are simply an inconvenience and a hindrance to further progress until they are dispensed with.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Arguably the way HFTs discover you are buying IBM in the first place is sailing a bit close to the wind but for the moment the rule of thumb is that it is all right providing you are not trading from your bedroom in London.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548

PlatoSaid said:

Awkward - video

PA
    Stormont Assembly is plunged into crisis after all non-Democratic Unionist members walk out ahead of a disputed statement by Arlene Foster https://t.co/wj9BL8sWXs

Doesn't augur well for her in a VoNC.
    Looks like Sinn Fein won't support it so it won't pass today. However they've got her over a barrel - all they have to do is change their minds and she's lost the vote and all friends, so I think Sinn Fein can get pretty much whatever they want in policy terms at the moment.

Even if it's just a political bear pit right now, you have to respect ministers being held to account for their actions as part of their roles, rather than our usual 'scandals' of saying something controversial, committing some minor offence long before they took up their role, or being an industrial washing machine salesman called Jim.
  • Options
    @DavidL So long as Hargreaves Lansdowne and Charles Stanley don't participate in that sort of nonsense :)
  • Options
    llef said:

There was an interesting program on S4C (in welsh) a few years back, interviewing ethnic minority immigrants to Wales who had learnt welsh.
    I particlularly remember that there were a couple of Indian girls in their late teens from Machynlleth whose welsh was flawless.

That's impressive. I studied in Aberystwyth down the road from there, and while notices were all bilingual and there was a Welsh Language Society and a strong nationalist movement, most of us 'foreigners' didn't learn much more than the pleasantries in three years. I did contribute massively to the student union bar takings though!
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Arguably the way HFTs discover you are buying IBM in the first place is sailing a bit close to the wind but for the moment the rule of thumb is that it is all right providing you are not trading from your bedroom in London.
    Or have one of these

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    @DavidL, Pulpstar

Re High Frequency Trading:

Not so much draining the swamp, as recruiting from it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@DavidL So long as Hargreaves Lansdowne and Charles Stanley don't participate in that sort of nonsense :)

It was one of those books (in fairness the Big Short was another) which just made you sigh and wonder whether markets can ever really work in the way economists think they do.
  • Options
    llef said:

Yes, that was it, thanks.

I've always loved listening to the Welsh language. It's beautiful, especially when sung.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

Yorkcity said:

The loyalty oath reminds me of Blairs dragging them to cash points policy.lasted a Sunday afternoon.When they have nothing sensible to say, why don't they just shut the f up.,Was surprised Osborne on Marr thought it was a good idea.Thought he had more nous than that.Politicians are certainly a different breed with no common sense sometimes.

Quite what the mechanism is by which a graduate Sir Humphrey mumbling a few words in Whitehall encourages a Muslim woman in Luton to learn better English isn't fully explained.
    When my mother came over, her English was not good at all. There were no Italian translations of all and sundry. She learnt to speak better English because she had to. When in Rome etc.
    I don't know all the counterarguments, but it is clear to me that immigrants should acquire the language to become a proper citizen. This should not be controversial. If I wanted to become a Finnish citizen I would have to pass a quite rigorous language test. By no means an easy task, yet hardly anyone cavils.
    I presume you'd have no problem with English people being required to learn Welsh if they move to Caernarfon?
    Do you take pride in being an obtuse idiot?
    More ad-hominem stuff. Yawn.

Perhaps you could tell me where my logic is faulty? Is it because Wales isn't a proper nation? Would you like to tell the Welsh that? Or perhaps it's because the obligation to use the local language doesn't apply to the English?
    I said Caernarfon, not the whole of Wales. From Wikipedia:

"Within Wales, Gwynedd has the highest proportion of speakers of the Welsh language. The greatest concentration of Welsh speakers in Gwynedd is found in and around Caernarfon.[33] According to the 2001 Census, 86.1% of the population could speak Welsh; the largest majority of Welsh speakers was found in the 10-14 age group, where 97.7% could speak it fluently."

My point stands. If the rule is 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do", then "Pan yng Nghymru yn ei wneud fel y Gymraeg yn ei wneud"
    Then you defeat your own argument, which was that Wales is a nation.
    A common tongue[1] is not a necessary precondition of a nation

[1] Ooo-er, missus...
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

OK, I give up. How do HFT's discover you are buying IBM?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    On Topic.
    God, it's Burnham! Anyone who votes for this spineless wanker deserves all he/she gets.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Second consecutive IMF Director caught by the authorities.
    Why do they have to be french?

I know about the informal deal that the americans get the World Bank and the europeans the IMF, but since the americans gave it to a korean last time why should europeans keep the IMF if they are so bad at managing it ?

I also don't think Trump will give the OK for the europeans to continue controlling the IMF, he doesn't care about norms.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    viewcode said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

1) They see that you have bought it on one exchange and have quicker links than you do to other exchanges, where they go to to buy it before you on the other exchanges and then, as @rcs1000 has noted, they try to sell it to you at a higher price;

or

2) You try to buy it on one exchange and before you have bought all of it that you wanted to, the price has moved up because they have noticed you bought some of it, then have bought it before you, and then they try to sell it to you at a higher price.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Do HFTs ever try to 'get ahead' of each other ?

It sounds like a recipe for flash crashes and flash spikes to me !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It is a constant arms race. Some would say that that is a good thing. Others (the protagonist of Flashboys, for example) try to slow everyone down with a speed bump.
  • Options
    Off-topic, but as we're talking about history:

The lovely Alice Roberts is currently presenting the latest series of 'Digging for Britain', going through some of the best discoveries in UK archaeology in 2016. The next episode is at 20.00 tonight on BBC Four. The first episode should be on iPlayer.

As always, a very interesting program.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yes, all the time! Hence the arms race to get your computers a millisecond closer to the exchange than your competition.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

viewcode said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

1) They see that you have bought it on one exchange and have quicker links than you do to other exchanges, where they go to to buy it before you on the other exchanges and then, as @rcs1000 has noted, they try to sell it to you at a higher price;

or

2) You try to buy it on one exchange and before you have bought all of it that you wanted to, the price has moved up because they have noticed you bought some of it, then have bought it before you, and then they try to sell it to you at a higher price.
    Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.