Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » POLL ALERT: Polling Matters / Opinium: Voters back ‘soft Brexi

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    On the court case, and I'll defer to @AlastairMeeks on this one, how would this scenario play out, 6-5 to uphold the High Court decision but Lords Sumption and Neuberger on the dissenting side? I was getting the feeling that those two in particular seemed displeased with case. A decision like that could well cause a crisis within the SC itself if the pre-eminent experts on constitutional affairs are over-ruled by lesser justices. A low chance, but Brexit hasn't been without its long shots so far.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    williamglenn 7:26PM

Until the 2015 election...

You might as well stop there. The rest is irrelevant.
  • Options
    I'm with Geoff M. Northern Brexiteers are full of optimism for the future notwithstanding the exit negotiations to come. The Remain campaign failed to articulate a positive case for staying in the EU because there is not one. The EU has a myriad of serious and seeming unsolvable problems. Goodness knows why some Remainers are so wedded to it?
  • Options

viewcode said:

Of course it's the way they intend to behave, for pity's sake! Why would you think they would act differently? I've been saying this for years, including before the vote. The LEAVEr delusion that the UK could dictate its own terms and cherrypick what it wanted was simply that: a delusion. Even the article above is based on the assumption that we can decide on the deal, whether in detail or timescale. I have a horrible feeling that one of my best lines on this board ("when they've worked out what the deal is, they'll tell us") will turn out to be the plain unvarnished truth.

The Remainer delusion was that the UK could stay in the EU and dictate the way in which the whole edifice operated in defiance of the wishes of the other 27 countries.
    Why would we want to dictate the whole thing?
    And why would we always be against the combined wishes of the 27?

In one sentence the whole Brexit mixture of post imperial delusion and paranoia is laid bare.
    That was our stance for 40 years, I don't see why it would change. It was Britain vs everyone else for the most part and then Britain plus the occasional ally vs the rest sometimes. Take the decision on Juncker as an example. By all accounts Merkel wasn't keen but didn't want to veto his appointment and overrode Dave's valid concerns about his suitability for the position. In that case it was the UK and Hungary vs the rest, if Germany had backed us she would have swung Austria, NL, Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Poland behind her and we'd have had a much more suitable commission president.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    MaxPB said:

On the court case, and I'll defer to @AlastairMeeks on this one, how would this scenario play out, 6-5 to uphold the High Court decision but Lords Sumption and Neuberger on the dissenting side? I was getting the feeling that those two in particular seemed displeased with case. A decision like that could well cause a crisis within the SC itself if the pre-eminent experts on constitutional affairs are over-ruled by lesser justices. A low chance, but Brexit hasn't been without its long shots so far.

6 - 5 is 1.2 majority

52 - 48 is 1.08 majority.

I'd call that convincing, and I'm sure as a democrat you would too.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Scott_P said:
    Burnham is shamelessly moving to Red Brexit.

His brazeness is a wonder to behold, or is it Labour listening?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

6 - 5 is 1.2 majority

Of course, it would carry the decision, but I'm just asking our expert how it would go down in legal circles if the court's constitutional experts were overruled by lesser justices and both ended up on the dissenting side. As it happens I think it is a long shot since if both are on the side to rule against the high court decision then the it will be carried 11-0, but in the long shot scenario it would be interesting to know what the reaction would be.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Scott_P said:
    How much influence will the Mayor of Greater Manchester have in the Brexit affair? It will be interesting to see whether people vote on a local matter according to their European worldview.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    MaxPB said:

viewcode said:

Of course it's the way they intend to behave, for pity's sake! Why would you think they would act differently? I've been saying this for years, including before the vote. The LEAVEr delusion that the UK could dictate its own terms and cherrypick what it wanted was simply that: a delusion. Even the article above is based on the assumption that we can decide on the deal, whether in detail or timescale. I have a horrible feeling that one of my best lines on this board ("when they've worked out what the deal is, they'll tell us") will turn out to be the plain unvarnished truth.

The Remainer delusion was that the UK could stay in the EU and dictate the way in which the whole edifice operated in defiance of the wishes of the other 27 countries.

In one sentence the whole Brexit mixture of post imperial delusion and paranoia is laid bare.
    That was our stance for 40 years, I don't see why it would change. It was Britain vs everyone else for the most part and then Britain plus the occasional ally vs the rest sometimes. Take the decision on Juncker as an example. By all accounts Merkel wasn't keen but didn't want to veto his appointment and overrode Dave's valid concerns about his suitability for the position. In that case it was the UK and Hungary vs the rest, if Germany had backed us she would have swung Austria, NL, Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Poland behind her and we'd have had a much more suitable commission president.
    A very poor understanding of history.
    You have been gulled by years of anti-EU press.

I'll give you Juncker, but you can't win them all.

The UK's preferred candidate(s) recently lost their bid to be UN Sec-Gen. Should we withdraw?

• Options
    RobD said:

Still no quote button on the main site. :(

It is a soft Quexit, accessible and paid for, yet inhibiting free trade in witticism.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

MaxPB said:

6 - 5 is 1.2 majority

Small number statistics.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

6 - 5 is 1.2 majority

Small number statistics.
    Mathematics doesn't lie.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,370

I'll give you Juncker, but you can't win them all.

Mr Walker, don't blame yourself for that. It was the EU gave us the tax dodging Nazi Saluting piss artist. They alone bear the responsible for the utter disaster that is his presidency. You have no responsibility in the matter, for which you may thank the deity of your choice.

If I had voted Leave, Juncker would have been an unanswerable reason for doing so.
  • Options

viewcode said:

We spent our whole existence in the EU trying to turn it into something that would be acceptable to the British. The whole British Europhile elite based their relationship with the EU on the idea that it would be an automatic replacement for the lost Empire and that the rest of Europe would bow to our innate superiority when to came to leadership. It was an arrogance that still exists amongst pro Europeans and is a sure sign of just how deluded they are.

Europhilia is a byword for arrogant Post Imperial delusion .
  • Options
    Key question on Greater Manchester Mayorality ( which I don't know the answer to ). The Met Boroughs elect in thirds three years out of four. So which year is next May ? Will Burnham have swathes of Labour councillors out from him working in elections in their own areas ? That will be fantastic for the Labour machine ( and the Tories to a lesser extent ) and bad for the Lib Dems and UKIP with withered or non existent councillor bases. If it's the gap year they'll be lower turn out, much less of a ground campaign and PV will be more important.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

6 - 5 is 1.2 majority

A rare case where I agree with Bromptonaut. If these judges are not competent to rule on such a matter, they should have refused to hear the case. As they have not and the government have not challenged their competency, a simple majority should suffice.

Moreover, we ignored experts to vote Out, why should we not ignore them in a similarly democratic process here?
  • Options
    RobD:
    Small number statistics.
    Bromptonaut:
    Mathematics doesn't lie.

But apples/oranges does lie.
    Only 52% of your brain works, Bromptonaut, but don't worry - its a convincing and democratically acceptable margin.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Key question on Greater Manchester Mayorality ( which I don't know the answer to ). The Met Boroughs elect in thirds three years out of four. So which year is next May ? Will Burnham have swathes of Labour councillors out from him working in elections in their own areas ? That will be fantastic for the Labour machine ( and the Tories to a lesser extent ) and bad for the Lib Dems and UKIP with withered or non existent councillor bases. If it's the gap year they'll be lower turn out, much less of a ground campaign and PV will be more important.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_local_elections,_2017

Looks like the gap year.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    Speedy said:

Scott_P said:
    0% chance.

The LD will probably do well in Stockport for historical reasons, but will get pulverized in the rest of Greater Manchester, where they have zero strength and zero roots.
    Not entirely true - the Lib Dems have some record in Oldham East and Saddleworth, Rochdale, and parts of Bolton.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    People on here are far too obsessed with Brexit. It will not be the key issue that determines how people vote!
  • Options

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

6 - 5 is 1.2 majority

Small number statistics.
    Mathematics doesn't lie.
    Clearly you have never read the work of Richard Carrier on Bayes' Theorem.

That being said, you are not missing much.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

People on here are far too obsessed with Brexit. It will not be the key issue that determines how people vote!

Unless we have an election on it, although I don't think that's very likely as that would be electoral suicide from Labour.

Indirectly it will affect the next election because it will affect the economy - or if it doesn't Labour are still more shafted as the ambivalent party.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    @wolfrun_phil

If you're still on, can I address your contention that a Hard Brexit would painlessly solve our Balance of Payments/Current Account issue.

I think there is a constant misunderstanding about the nature of trade among non-economists. Imagine that you are a company, Acme Ltd., and you need to acquire widgets to make your diggers.

There are two suppliers of widgets: Francois SA, based in France, and Nippon Inc., based in the US (yeah, yeah). Without tariffs, the two products would have identical prices. Because there are tariffs on imports from the US (2.8% on average) and not on those from the EU, Francois SA's widgets are cheaper.

Hard Brexit arrives. Suddenly, both EU and US products are subject to the same tariff schedule. You now choose to buy your widgets from Nippon Inc rather than Francois SA. The UK now runs a smaller current account deficit with the EU (yay!). But it's overall position hasn't changed, merely where goods are imported from.

There is a simple correlation, with a very high R^2, between current account deficits, and savings rates. Countries with high savings rates (Germany, Switzerland, China) have current account surpluses. Countries with low savings rates (the UK, the US) have current account deficits.

If you want to solve the UK's imbalances, you need to raise the UK's savings rate. (This is something that will need to happen at some point irrespective of Brexit.) The only problem is that this process is likely - in the short term - to be painful.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited December 2016
    RobD said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_local_elections,_2017

Looks like the gap year.
    Hmm, so the turnout could be crap without hundreds of councillors also up for election, as it's just the mayor.

What do we know about the Conservative candidate, are they well known locally and likely to put up a good fight?

Will the LDs really be able to target an area where they (mostly) have no experience of winning elections?
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

RobD:
    Small number statistics.
    Bromptonaut:
    Mathematics doesn't lie.

But apples/oranges does lie.
    Only 52% of your brain works, Bromptonaut, but don't worry - its a convincing and democratically acceptable margin.

Ad hominem as usual when logic fails. Yawn.
  • Options

viewcode said:

We spent our whole existence in the EU trying to turn it into something that would be acceptable to the British. The whole British Europhile elite based their relationship with the EU on the idea that it would be an automatic replacement for the lost Empire and that the rest of Europe would bow to our innate superiority when to came to leadership. It was an arrogance that still exists amongst pro Europeans and is a sure sign of just how deluded they are.

The generation who wanted to replace Empire with the EU are dead, Richard. Long gone.

Most remainers just want to maintain the significant benefits of a free trade area with our closest neighbours, both geographically and culturally. An arrangement which the entire economy has grown up around, and a key plank of our geopolitical architecture.

You Brexiters want to tip it all over, for what?

You're paranoid that the 27 don't like us. If it were really so, what hope do we have with the rest of the world, most of whom are much more culturally distant.

Nobody much seems to talk of the Singapore of the North Atlantic anymore. Perhaps because it was nothing more than a chimera, as David Davis seems to have realised.

Brexit success these days seems to be about escaping unscathed. What an impoverished vision for our country!

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Dawning,

"I suspect the Leavers are gripped by a sense of paralysis: whatever happens next is unlikely to be pretty, and they'll be expected to justify it, so better to stick with dreamland for as long as possible."

Nope. I'm happy, verging on elated.

But it must be horrible to be a demented Remainer; hoping against hope that your country crash-dives and somehow the impossible dream happens. Sorry, but it's done and dusted. We're embarking on a new and thrilling challenge.

And I'll be sorry if you spend the next twenty years raging against the dying of the Federal Europe light. But not half as sorry as you will be.

Step forward, blinking in the daylight, rather than withdraw into the gloom.
  • Options
    @RobD Hmm. If their are no other elections that day other than for a new post most voters won't properly understand yet I'd expect turnout to be quite low. I think the one thing you can say is PVs will be key and that favours established parties. I suppose the limited amount of local media coverage will be entirely focused on the Mayorality which will shift focus onto personalities.

Does anyone know if these Metro Mayors are getting the tax payer funded Candidate booklet that standard Mayoralities get ?

And is it *really* true that we don't know yet if they are using FPTP or SV ? On the last thread it was said this was undecided. But the elections in less than 5 months.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited December 2016
    slade said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:
    0% chance.

The LD will probably do well in Stockport for historical reasons, but will get pulverized in the rest of Greater Manchester, where they have zero strength and zero roots.
    Not entirely true - the Lib Dems have some record in Oldham East and Saddleworth, Rochdale, and parts of Bolton.
    Yes, as a not Labour/Tory vote. The LD vote in these areas swung to UKIP leading up to GE15. These were not the core europhile suburbanites of their heartlands in Stockport that they are now chasing.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    rcs1000 said:

There is a simple correlation, with a very high R^2, between current account deficits, and savings rates. Countries with high savings rates (Germany, Switzerland, China) have current account surpluses. Countries with low savings rates (the UK, the US) have current account deficits.

If you want to solve the UK's imbalances, you need to raise the UK's savings rate. (This is something that will need to happen at some point irrespective of Brexit.) The only problem is that this process is likely - in the short term - to be painful.

I'm doing my bit, but only because buying a place of my own is a non-starter.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

viewcode said:

Of course it's the way they intend to behave, for pity's sake! Why would you think they would act differently? I've been saying this for years, including before the vote. The LEAVEr delusion that the UK could dictate its own terms and cherrypick what it wanted was simply that: a delusion

The generation who wanted to replace Empire with the EU are dead, Richard. Long gone.

Most remainers just want to maintain the significant benefits of a free trade area with our closest neighbours, both geographically and culturally. An arrangement which the entire economy has grown up around, and a key plank of our geopolitical architecture.

You're paranoid that the 27 don't like us. If it were really so, what hope do we have with the rest of the world, most of whom are much more culturally distant.

Nobody much seems to talk of the Singapore of the North Atlantic anymore. Perhaps because it was nothing more than a chimera, as David Davis seems to have realised.

Brexit success these days seems to be about escaping unscathed. What an impoverished vision for our country!
    A great many Leave voters also wish to see continuing trade with our closest neighbours, we just don't want to be involved in the political project to ultimately create a single European country, with all that entails.

We also don't like the way that a significant amount of taxpayers' money is spent, in a way that is unaccountable and by those who we cannot vote from office, and we wish to see the law made and enforced by British MPs and judges respectively.
  • Options
    Gardenwalker, if you were looking for an impoverished view of our future you could do no better than remaining shackled to a failing and unreformable EU, which is why your side failed to make any sort of positive case for doing so.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

6 - 5 is 1.2 majority

Small number statistics.
    Mathematics doesn't lie.

Thanks for the recommendation, a quick Wikipedia suggests the theorem is fairly basic stats (although that was never my strong point - I was always more into applied maths and physics, pulleys and levers and that kind of thing).

And thanks for the upthread agreement - it's the nature of this place that it artificially magnifies differences, it seems to me.
  • Options

And is it *really* true that we don't know yet if they are using FPTP or SV ? On the last thread it was said this was undecided. But the elections in less than 5 months.

Apparently it is the supplementary vote:

http://tinyurl.com/jzugtf8

So can the Lib Dems make the top 2 and then pick up enough second preferences?
  • Options
    Hmm. Googling suggests they really haven't decided whether the Manchester Metro Mayor will be elected under FPTP or SV - less than 5 months before the vote.
  • Options
    Oh my.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

6 - 5 is 1.2 majority

Small number statistics.
    Mathematics doesn't lie.

Thanks for the recommendation, a quick Wikipedia suggests the theorem is fairly basic stats (although that was never my strong point - I was always more into applied maths and physics, pulleys and levers and that kind of thing).

And thanks for the upthread agreement - it's the nature of this place that it artificially magnifies differences, it seems to me.
    The theorem is. It's Carrier's...ummm...novel interpretation of it I was referring to.

You apologised for our argument a while back and your apology is accepted. I often disagree with people on here, but it's never personal spite and I will always try to tell the truth as I see it.
  • Options
    @tig86 Thanks.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    First to say 'Outlier'.

Lab on same percentage as Miliband got 18 months ago, really?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@wolfrun_phil

If you're still on, can I address your contention that a Hard Brexit would painlessly solve our Balance of Payments/Current Account issue.

I think there is a constant misunderstanding about the nature of trade among non-economists. Imagine that you are a company, Acme Ltd., and you need to acquire widgets to make your diggers.

There are two suppliers of widgets: Francois SA, based in France, and Nippon Inc., based in the US (yeah, yeah). Without tariffs, the two products would have identical prices. Because there are tariffs on imports from the US (2.8% on average) and not on those from the EU, Francois SA's widgets are cheaper.

Hard Brexit arrives. Suddenly, both EU and US products are subject to the same tariff schedule. You now choose to buy your widgets from Nippon Inc rather than Francois SA. The UK now runs a smaller current account deficit with the EU (yay!). But it's overall position hasn't changed, merely where goods are imported from.

Is that always the right way round? Or does a current account surplus lead to saving?
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Bromptonaut 8:01PM

No no no, I was illustrating apples and oranges with statistics.
    That rather oddly you took it so personally says more about your state of mind than anything else.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

6 - 5 is 1.2 majority

Small number statistics.
    Mathematics doesn't lie.

The theorem is. It's Carrier's...ummm...novel interpretation of it I was referring to.

You apologised for our argument a while back and your apology is accepted. I often disagree with people on here, but it's never personal spite and I will always try to tell the truth as I see it.
    Nope, eyes just refuse to stay on the page. :smile:
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:
    First to say 'Outlier'.

I'm calling this poll a Rogue One.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,134
    Sandpit said:
    Yes the Lib Dems are far too low.
  • Options
    williamglenn 8:23PM
    Yes the Lib Dems are far too low.

Low in what sense? Lack of morals? Ethics? Standards in general?
  • Options
    May continues to be parsecs ahead of Corbyn in the leader ratings of that Opinium poll.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:
    First to say 'Outlier'.

*Tories beating Labour in Wales Klaxon*
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Bromptonaut 8:01PM

No no no, I was illustrating apples and oranges with statistics.
    That rather oddly you took it so personally says more about your state of mind than anything else.

"Only 52% of your brain works, Bromptonaut".
  • Options

No, that generation still has a few dying representatives but they informed the whole pro-EU movement and through them informed our whole relationship with the EU for 40 years or more. Of course they had to. They could not bring themselves to admit that the EU does not share our aims and values. This is not, as you claim an anti-Europe view. I have great sympathy for the Europeans and for what the EU wants to achieve even if I do not share their vision. This is a clear criticism of the pro EU politicians in the UK who spent 40 years telling the public that the EU would change to our view on all manner of issues and were arrogant enough to even believe that.

And I am sorry but it is frankly moronic to claim that we are culturally closer to the Europeans than we are to the Anglosphere or to much of the rest of the world. To be honest I think the only people who could seriously think that are those who have never really spent much time overseas both in Europe and in the rest of the world.

It is the Europhile vision that is impoverished. Seeing us as nothing more than a region of Europe rather than a country independent enough to able to make our own decisions and grown up enough to accept the consequences.
  • Options
    Remember the First Law of polling folks ! A rogue poll is one you don't like. Also remember you can only judge something an outlier in retrospect.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:
    First to say 'Outlier'.

Was R1 any good? I'm being begged asked nicely by the missus to get dragged to the cinema go and see it next week.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited December 2016
    Re Poll - Tory voters have all buggered off skiing....
  • Options

Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:
    First to say 'Outlier'.

Private message for you.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:
    First to say 'Outlier'.

Was R1 any good? I'm being begged asked nicely by the missus to go next week.
    Absolutely fantastic.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,906
    R1 an excellent Saturday afternoon entertainment.
  • Options
    Re the poll, a quick look through the cross-tabs sees they found 170 people who claimed to have voted UKIP in 2015, and weighted that up to 202.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:
    First to say 'Outlier'.

Absolutely fantastic.
    Okay, so shouldn't be too bad then. Really hate cinemas, or rather the other people in them. Might splash out for the business class screening.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:
    First to say 'Outlier'.

Absolutely fantastic.
    Okay, so shouldn't be too bad then. Really hate cinemas, or rather the other people in them. Might splash out for the business class screening.
    Bloody metro elite not willing to mingle with the riff raff ;-)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:
    First to say 'Outlier'.

Absolutely fantastic.
    The best showing is in IMAX 3D, then 4DX
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:
    First to say 'Outlier'.

Christmas polling.

Who can forget Opinium's 2014 Christmas classic - Labour 36, Tory 29?
  • Options
    Didn't expect Jar Jar binks to feature so heavily.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Sandpit said:

A great many Leave voters also wish to see continuing trade with our closest neighbours, we just don't want to be involved in the political project to ultimately create a single European country, with all that entails.

We also don't like the way that a significant amount of taxpayers' money is spent, in a way that is unaccountable and by those who we cannot vote from office, and we wish to see the law made and enforced by British MPs and judges respectively.

Like it or lump it. We can either be in, with a major voice (and architect of some of the best features of the EU, like the single market) or out - with none of the boring compromises of multi-lateral agreement but with fewer, or none, benefits either.

The idea that the world should work as we'd like to is juvenile. Engage, or be engaged - as Osborne nearly said.

As for your poujadiste gripe about the money, the amount is a pittance in the grand scheme of things, and largely goes to development efforts in poorer European countries.

As we have rehearsed to death on here, it certainly ain't going to be repatriated to the NHS.

• Options
    NO SPOILERS !!!! I HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET.
  • Options
    @rcs1000

Yes by chance I just came back for a look (while the missus insists on watching the Strictly Final).

Actually, I wasn't trying to make the argument that hard Brexit would in fact painlessly solve the UK's balance of payments crisis, although I certainly consider that it would help.

My point was that the Polling Matters "Hard Brexit" v "Soft Brexit" question is incredibly leading by taking as read all the economic arguments being put forward by the Remain campaign. To show that, I put forward just as leading a question, this time putting the economic arguments in the way the Leave campaign would have crafted it, from an equally extreme position.

Without going into detail on the substance of the argument, no, I don't think that Brexit will be painless economically. That's because in the short term economies take time to adjust to changes in their competitive position. In the medium and long term though, suppliers do adjust to changes in competitiveness over the cycle of investment decisions. The pace of that change will probably be accelerated in the UK's favour if the devaluation of the past few months is sustained for a few years further.

I expect that we will indeed in the end by default end up with something close to a hard Brexit position. That's because the EU iinstitutions are so incapable of satisfying all of its members competing positions collectively that the default is to agree nothing, combined with the political desire of the Brussels elites to punish the UK even if it means punishing the EU citizens they purport to represent far more. In that I consider that the EU is vastly overplaying its hand.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,134

They could not bring themselves to admit that the EU does not share our aims and values.

Even when the deep divisions on this question are staring you in the face, you still write as if you speak for everyone. The EU's aims and values are perfectly in harmony with a large part of the country.
  • Options
    OT, a small lead only for soft Brexit even when presented with a loaded question?
  • Options

Gardenwalker, if you were looking for an impoverished view of our future you could do no better than remaining shackled to a failing and unreformable EU, which is why your side failed to make any sort of positive case for doing so.

The only thing shackled is your brain. As you've got it into your head that the EU is failing and unreformable, logically you will not be persuaded by any positive case.

Not that the Remain campaign made any attempt to provide that case.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:
    First to say 'Outlier'.

Absolutely fantastic.
    I'll go for the 3D one then, at the screen with 20 seats, reclining seats and waiter service food and drink ;)
    https://uae.voxcinemas.com/ways-to-watch/theatre-by-rhodes
  • Options
    No Spoilers?

Bloke with bluebox and long scarf just told.me exactly how Brexit pans out. Was going to share, but since you insist I'll keep it to myself.
  • Options

They could not bring themselves to admit that the EU does not share our aims and values.

Even when the deep divisions on this question are staring you in the face, you still write as if you speak for everyone. The EU's aims and values are perfectly in harmony with a large part of the country.
    Tyndall has made it his life's work to leave the EU. He has an admirable and acute understanding of its deficiencies, but unfortunately he's a monomaniac and can no longer see the wood for the trees.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:
    First to say 'Outlier'.

Absolutely fantastic.
    I'll go for the 3D one then, at the screen with 20 seats, reclining seats and waiter service food and drink ;)
    For £65 a head, I want the director to be in the room to answer any questions I might have.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Re the poll, a quick look through the cross-tabs sees they found 170 people who claimed to have voted UKIP in 2015, and weighted that up to 202.

Is it just me or is there something wrong here? The actual data in the tables appears to be showing pre-weighted figures.
  • Options
    @brokenwheel...

Hmmm, I could be wrong. Opinium don't do their layouts the way the other firms do, watch makes it harder to work out exactly what's going on.
  • Options
    Gardenwalker, it's a bit early for personal insults is it not? And you are quite wrong, I certainly could have been persuaded by a positive case to stay in the EU. I did not hear one though, nor any attempt to make one. If you know of one go ahead and make it.

What I did hear was lots of Project Fear. It did not wash then and does not do so now.
  • Options
    Rogue One spoiler

A character says 'I have a bad feeling about this' when they hear about BREXIT
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:
    First to say 'Outlier'.

Absolutely fantastic.
    For £65 a head, I want the director to be in the room to answer any questions I might have.
    That service is £19 per showing for Cineworld Card holders, and £29 for everyone else
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:
    First to say 'Outlier'.

Absolutely fantastic.
    To be fair, that price does include the four course set menu. ;) - The movie on its own is £25 without the food.

And it doesn't include 200 selfish f***ers who don't understand that 'switch off your phone' means 'switch the damn thing off and watch the movie you paid to see, you moron'.
  • Options
    Looks like a 39-29 poll pre-adjustment.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,579
    edited December 2016
    Prejudiced people voted Leave? Am shocked

Voters hostile towards same-sex relationships and the rise in the number of women in the workplace were also consistently more likely to have voted leave.
  • Options

Gardenwalker, it's a bit early for personal insults is it not? And you are quite wrong, I certainly could have been persuaded by a positive case to stay in the EU. I did not hear one though, nor any attempt to make one. If you know of one go ahead and make it.

What I did hear was lots of Project Fear. It did not wash then and does not do so now.

I responded to your language.

You described the UK as "shackled" to a "failing and unreformable" EU. It seemed safe to assume your mind was quite closed on the subject.

If one starts from that position, there is surely no persuading?
  • Options

Prejudiced people voted Leave? Am shocked

Voters hostile towards same-sex relationships and the rise in the number of women in the workplace were also consistently more likely to have voted leave.
    Is that normalised by age?
  • Options
    Newsweek: 7 Socialists Vie for French Presidential Nomination. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwsMm2jTE
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    rcs1000 said:

@brokenwheel...

Hmmm, I could be wrong. Opinium don't do their layouts the way the other firms do, watch makes it harder to work out exactly what's going on.

It's weird. The survey size was 2000, but the data seems to imply they weighted up the sample from 1541 to 1945.

The difference with November is interesting. They've had to weight UKIP up 35 instead of down 19 in November. Labour were weighted up over 126 compared to just 8 in November. Tories weighted up 96 compared to 31.

http://opinium.co.uk/political-polling-15th-november-2016/
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,953
    Gardenwalker, being part of the EU makes sense if you're a true believer, that is, you think we should be part of a new nation called Europe.

That may be what you believe, and that's a coherent intellectual position , albeit one I totally disagree with.

Being a grudging member of the EU, constantly trying to slow down and frustrate the process of integration seems a bit pointless to me. It's better to leave than be a grudging member.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,918

Remain voters believe there will be bad economic consequences from Brexit; whilst Leave voters don't. But if there actually are economic consequences - and people link them to brexit - then what people say now will be a poor guide to how they feel then.
  • Options
    The Telegraph: Increase in property companies in 'financial distress' as housing market slows to a crawl. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwporpjTE
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,953
    TSE people whose prejudices are not your prejudices.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MaxPB said:

Suspect they will defer judgement until there is a unanimous view
  • Options
    The Independent: Pope Francis turns 80: Pontiff celebrates birthday by having breakfast with homeless people. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwy4jFjDE
  • Options

The Telegraph: Increase in property companies in 'financial distress' as housing market slows to a crawl. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwporpjTE

No surprises there. The govt have killed by-to-let with stamp duty and the removal of mortgage interest relief, and the banks are scared to lend to owner-occupiers who don't have 20% deposits. There's also the distant hope of planning reform and immigration controls, both of which will have a negative effect on demand for housing. The perfect storm, really.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,962

I think a second referendum is for the birds.

Birds don't need a referendum. You just read their tweets.

Pause.

I'M HERE ALL WEEK, FOLKS!

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,429
    edited December 2016

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

*runs and hides*
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    edited December 2016

The Independent: Pope Francis turns 80: Pontiff celebrates birthday by having breakfast with homeless people. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwy4jFjDE

Though I'm not a Catholic, I'm increasingly coming to like Pope Francis.
This discussion has been closed.