Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How Team Corbyn screwed up JC’s big day and reduced even furth

Comments

• Options
    'He will not stand up for Britain'

We have been discovering many politicians in recent months whose primary emotional allegiance is to something other than Britain. Jezza's is the international Marxist movement. Farron's is the EU establishment. Sturgeon's unsurprisingly is Scotland.
    What is surprising is how surprised many politicians seem to be when they discover that voters do care about identity. And not necessarily the identity politics the politicians themselves pander to but a deeper national identity.
    The disaster of Jezza for Labour is that ever more people take a look at Labour and think 'that's not me'.
  • Options
    "He will not stand up for Britain."

I predict that Russia and our attitude to its expansion plans will be a massive issue by next GE.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited December 2016
  • Options

Latest Ipsos Mori/Evening Standard poll (changes since Nov)

Con 40 (-2)

Lab 29 (-4)

LD 14 (+4)

UKIP 9 (+2)

Greens 3 (nc)

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/liberal-democrats-jump-to-best-poll-rating-in-five-years-after-richmond-park-triumph-a3420906.html

A theory of mine is that the Cons will lose their majority whilst increasing the gap in seats between 1st and 2nd place at the next GE... this poll is a step in that direction

Nom, Nom, Nom...
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006

Stark: "Sorry, but I'm finding it hard to stir myself up into moral indignation over this. As a nation we decided to eschew the 'military solution' and, rightly or wrongly, opted instead for the 'let bygones be bygones' approach. Either Sinn Féin have been totally forgiven or they haven't. Stirring up old resentments for party-political advantage is the worst kind of opportunism."

Sinn Fein still want to break up the UK. To those who care about keeping the country together, the appointment is at the very least symbollic of a leadership that can't be trusted on the issue.

I suspect few people In England care about whether NI would want to join the Republic. More will care about the potential breakup of the UK caused by Brexit.

To those who care about keeping the country together, the appointment of Fox, Davis and Johnson is at the very least symbolic of a leadership that can't be trusted on the issue.
  • Options

TUD: "It's a shocking revelation that you haven't bothered to read the last thread or most of this one (apart from detailed discussion of the great quoting crisis, you didn't miss much)."

Yeah - babies. Such a time-drain. ;-)

Lots of PB fairy stories to be read aloud when your sprog reaches that stage - wicked witches, unicorns, magic trees, evil tyrants, (moral) dwarves, good & bad fairies, the lot.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    The Tories could gain Mansfield whilst losing Kingston & Surbiton.
  • Options
    @isam Blimey how many Lib Dem/UKIP gains are you predicting :D ?
  • Options
    Mr. Barnesian, it seems a contradictory thing to hold the view that people care about the UK breaking up but don't care about Northern Ireland (part of the UK) leaving it...

Mr. Isam, to whom would the Conservatives, in that scenario, lose seats? A few to the Lib Dems, perhaps. A couple to UKIP maybe. But they'd surely do rather well against Labour, and have only one seat to lose in Scotland (and might gain a couple more).
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    On topic.

This decision is likely to impact on the balance in the House of Commons. The DUP are unlikely to look more favourably on Corbyn as a result. This may provide the Conservatives with a little extra buffer when required.
  • Options
    isam said:

Lib Dems creeping up on Labour

Be afraid @pulpstar ☺️

https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/809343495378874368

Sarah Olney now joint favourite to be next leader of the LibDems. She's on a very fast learning curve.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

The generation which might not worry about the IRA so much will worry if they think that a Labour leader who has consorted with terrorists in the past and is willing to hire from their political wing is willing to consort with today's terrorists. Corbyn has not exactly been strong on IS has he? Or on using soldiers to shoot anyone seeking to attack us.

Why should Corbyn be trusted on IS when he can't be trusted on the IRA?

And it is the young who will likely suffer if IS bring their violence here - cf Bataclan, Nice etc.

EDIT: in reply to @Barnesian: yes what you mention resonates but not when violence is directed at those very same young. Corbyn's attitude to the IRA mirrors his attitude to IS and their fellow travelers. He simply cannot be trusted to keep you safe and being safe and alive matters to the young, just as much as it does to the rest of us.
    Who said:

“There is no doubt that the so-called Islamic State group has imposed a reign of terror on millions in Iraq, Syria and Libya. All that ISIS stands for and does is contrary to everything those of us on these benches have struggled for over generations.

“And there is no doubt that it poses a threat to our own people."

EDIT: Answer: Corbyn

http://www.labour.org.uk/pages/jeremy-corbyn-statement-on-Syria

I believe that Corbyn supported the objectives of the IRA (a united Ireland) but I very much doubt that he supported their methods. By now we all know his approach is jaw, jaw rather than war,war.

EDIT: He most certainly doesn't support the objectives of ISIS! It is a mistake to conflate the two.

Corbyn's problem is that he cannot provide leadership to his MPs. They distrust him, they do not respect him, he can't impose discipline. The result is that the Labour Party is not providing effective opposition.
    He also said that he thought that IS had "good points". Which ones, I wonder? He was until recently Chair of Stop the War which opposed bombing IS.

If he didn't support the IRA's methods why did he ally himself with them? There were plenty of people who wanted a united Ireland but one achieved through agreement not violence. Corbyn did not ally himself with them but with those who sought to achieve this goal through violence. I'm afraid that he cannot now complain if people draw the conclusion that he was, at best, indifferent to their methods.

The short point is that I do not trust Corbyn to keep me and mine and my country safe from those who would do us harm. Since that is the essential requirement of a PM I do not want to see him anywhere near the levers of power nor as LoTo. I am only sorry that Labour party members don't agree. But there we are.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    @SeanT, don't go to Savile Row! You'll pay 2x what an identical tailor 500 yards away will charge. I'll send you a link to a firm that is good and reasonably priced.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Pulpstar said:

The Tories could gain Mansfield whilst losing Kingston & Surbiton.

Sounds a good swap to me.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Quote isn't working for me (like Mr Herdson). Yet other people are quoting

Is there some gizmo or getaround that I'm missing?

Also, er, can anyone recommend a Savile Row tailor? For the first (and probably only) time in my life I feel flush enough to get a proper whistle and flute. Maybe two.

Use the forum not the main page

My mate owns Thom Sweeney,they've made suits for lots of celebs inc Cammo, Becks, Jamie Redknapp.. quite trendy as well as being in the right neck of the woods
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    SeanT said:

Also, er, can anyone recommend a Savile Row tailor? For the first (and probably only) time in my life I feel flush enough to get a proper whistle and flute. Maybe two.

Can't help you with the tailor but try

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/4388/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-how-team-corbyn-screwed-up-jc-s-big-day-and-reduced-even-furth
  • Options
    Robert's dropping an email to Vanilla to sort out the issues with the quote button

The quote button is working via the vanilla forums

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    SeanT said:

The Tories could become the SNP of England and Wales.

If they want to press ahead with Brexit that may be a necessity.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Libs gain lots off Lab a few off Con, Ukip maybe get 4-5 seats where the incumbent campaigned on immigration then voted Leave (Thurrock, Rochester...)
  • Options
    The LibDems seem to be performing a Lazarus-like comeback from the dead recently. Since they are neither liberal nor democratic maybe they should rename themselves the Revenant Party.
    And so the left seems to be re-splitting itself. The Tories always used to enjoy fighting both LD and Lab as the split gave them regular majorities under our FPTP system. But then along came UKIP to split the right and the LibDems melted - giving Labour a major fillip. There was a moment in Brown's premiership when the Tories looked a bit up the creek. Then people realised Brown was PM. The SNP re-split the left in Scotland. The LibDems returned to life, and, in a post-Brexit world, UKIP now pose much more of a threat to Labour in the north than they do to the Tories anywhere. The Eurosceptic Tories having happily gone home from UKIP, the strategic position for the Tories is looking better than it has for a while. It won't last forever.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,266
    edited December 2016
    SeanT said:

Click on the time stamp (10:40 in the case of your post), that takes you to the post in Vanilla forum where quote function is available, reply to post and Bob's your uncle.

You investing in a pair of Lobbs to go with the suit(s)?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited December 2016
    Spiked
    Brendan O'Neill on @BenPBradshaw's conspiracy theory about Russia swaying the EU referendum https://t.co/yrqP5rSewY https://t.co/YQeYDpBU6I

"What’s truly scary about the Russia-won-it-for-Trump nonsense is that so many ostensibly left-wing and liberal people are uncritically lapping up CIA claims. Since when did the CIA become a paragon of political truth?

Since when was it considered acceptable for the CIA to use its clout to cast a shadow over the democratic election of a president?

Imagine, just imagine, if Hillary had won and the CIA had said: ‘We think her victory is dodgy.’ There’d have been riots. Or at least Twitterstorms. The Guardian would have pumped out endless op-eds about the CIA’s wickedness and misogyny. Buzzfeed would have done ‘27 Other Times The CIA Were Totally Evil Bastards’. But when the CIA does it to Trump, on flimsy evidence, these people embrace it. And they say dumb voters are easily influenced by figures of authority.
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Libs gain lots off Lab a few off Con, Ukip maybe get 4-5 seats where the incumbent campaigned on immigration then voted Leave (Thurrock, Rochester...)
    Voted Leave ?

Are you sure you've phrased that correctly ?
  • Options
    Anyone who can't see that Corbyn's (and especially McDonnell's) links with the IRA are electoral poison is completely deluded. For very, very many people, that alone would disqualify them from being seen as suitable for high office (and rightly so). Younger voters may not think it important, and nor will the far-left, but older, decent, traditional Labour voters will.

Of course, this particular appointment in isolation wouldn't be a big deal, but it serves as a reminder of the problem.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    The main issue here is that this SF aide helps Corbyn with no voter groups, even if it may not be a big vote loser. People will either not care or will care and hate Corbyn even more for it.

So once again Corbyn's team announce something that can only at best keep them treading water, and at worst help them shed even more votes. Not a single person is more likely to vote Corbyn because of this announcement (the only people it will please are diehard trots -votes in the bag already - and irish nationalists - who are still going to vote for an irish nationalist party!)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Voted Leave ?

Sorry! Then campaigned for Remain

How the Thurrock and Rochester MPs can look their constituents in the eye is beyond me
  • Options
    Not sure if this point has been made but won't it cause problems within the Labour movement for the leader to appoint a supporter of another party? I know Labour don't campaign in Northern Ireland but their traditional allies there are the SDLP, not Sinn Fein.
  • Options

Mr. Barnesian, it seems a contradictory thing to hold the view that people care about the UK breaking up but don't care about Northern Ireland (part of the UK) leaving it...

On the surface - yes.

I think most English people see themselves as English or British - not UKish.

The Irish are Irish and the British are British. So Northern Ireland is already seen as semi-detached by most Brits I would contend. I'm relying on my own feelings and those of sundry others I've discussed it with, so I may be way out. Has any polling been done on this?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

British as in Great or as in Isles? Does the average English person think of a Dubliner as more foreign than a Glaswegian?
  • Options
    'Also, er, can anyone recommend a Savile Row tailor? For the first (and probably only) time in my life I feel flush enough to get a proper whistle and flute. Maybe two.'

What happened to the one you bought the last time you asked this question? It was a couple of years ago and you were meeting some far-Eastern royal as I recall.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Voted Leave ?

Sorry! Then campaigned for Remain

How the Thurrock and Rochester MPs can look their constituents in the eye is beyond me
    Well they don't have to most of the time.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

British as in Great or as in Isles? Does the average English person think of a Dubliner as more foreign than a Glaswegian?
    Great Britain. British Isles is a geographic term that includes the Republic of Ireland. I don't think people worry about the breakup of the British Isles!
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Thurrock looks a tricky hold for Jackie Doyle Price to me. Perhaps she'll stand down, but then the Tories are losing incumbency. Last time round she has "New Party + first time" incumbency advantage, also I can't exactly see Labour going forward under Corbyn in this seat.

A narrow UKIP gain perhaps :)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    edited December 2016
    SeanT said:

I got my last suit done in Hong Kong. It is awesome. They took the measurements and delivered it to the UK so I didn't have to lug it around Chinese factories for two weeks.

Edit: with that I feel like I have truly joined the globalist elite. D:
  • Options
    OT Has anyone else tried Luke Cage on Netflix? I've endured 3hrs and it's boring slow crap with 5% plot.

I love the main actor - he was Lemond Bishop in Good Wife, but this series is dismal.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited December 2016
    @Kevin_Maguire: Spoken to Corbyn's new staffer Jayne Fisher for years. Eejits objecting she worked for Sinn Fein must've missed the peace process 1/2
    And same eejits wetting themselves Corbyn was snapped with McGuinness & Adams will presumably want to criticise this lady for doing the same[Photo of MacGuinness with queen]

I rather think Mr Maguire is rather missing the point that the queen met MacGuinness after the IRA had stopped killing people, not while they were actively doing it.....
  • Options
    Who is Jahadi Jez going to hire next? I hear Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi might be looking for a new job soon.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Great Britain. British Isles is a geographic term that includes the Republic of Ireland. I don't think people worry about the breakup of the British Isles!
    The question is what lies at the root of British identity among the English. Is it something they see as common with other countries, or do they really mean 'Greater England'?
  • Options
    @SeanT Buy a nice Phillipe Patek watch to go with it. It'll hold its (high) value better than the suit at any rate.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

On the surface - yes.

The Irish are Irish and the British are British. So Northern Ireland is already seen as semi-detached by most Brits I would contend. I'm relying on my own feelings and those of sundry others I've discussed it with, so I may be way out. Has any polling been done on this?
    People may or may not care about Northern Ireland. They do care about security. Hiring an apologist for murderers and racketeers is not going to go down well.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@SeanT Buy a nice Phillipe Patek watch to go with it. It'll hold its (high) value better than the suit at any rate.

Audemars Piguet is the must have of the globalist elite AIUI.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Thurrock looks a tricky hold for Jackie Doyle Price to me. Perhaps she'll stand down, but then the Tories are losing incumbency. Last time round she has "New Party + first time" incumbency advantage, also I can't exactly see Labour going forward under Corbyn in this seat.

I'm almost glad Ukip didn't win it last time now... outrageously close (3rd, 900 votes behind winner) I backed them at 16/1 in 2014 and they were 4/6 on the day

We all know that true betting pros prefer talking about unlucky losers than bragging about winners ☺️
  • Options
    Paristonda - It won't help with the SDLP, so that's 3 MPs who vote that he's pissed off, and 4 MPs who don't vote that will be happy about it.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    PlatoSaid said:

OT Has anyone else tried Luke Cage on Netflix? I've endured 3hrs and it's boring slow crap with 5% plot.

I love the main actor - he was Lemond Bishop in Good Wife, but this series is dismal.

I made it through about 5 episodes but then gave up. Made it all the way through Jessica Jones. Gave up with Continuum after series 1. A really good series is Person of Interest
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr T,

"After that one absurd indulgence I will get my suits from cheaper places, of course."

Tesco are currently offering two t-shirts for £7. Pick out the best one and use it for interviews.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

I stopped wearing watches about six or seven years ago, when I realised I had the time on me constantly, via my smartphone

It was oddly liberating. I recommend.
    No one wears a Patek Phillipe to look at the time!
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn didn’t help bring peace to Northern Ireland, he helped delay it by enabling those who bore primary responsibility for the violence. Now he and his supporters wish to rewrite history, the better to pretend Corbyn was somehow ‘ahead of the curve’. He was no such thing. His vision of peace did not advocate compromise and dialogue. If it had he might have spent more – or some – time speaking with Unionists and other parties with whose analysis he disagreed. But his vision did not do this and so he did not ‘engage’ with anyone in this fashion. No amount of whitewash can cover up this stain upon his record, his worldview and his judgement.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/05/jeremy-corbyn-should-not-be-allowed-to-rewrite-the-history-of-his-support-for-the-ira/
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm almost glad Ukip didn't win it last time now... outrageously close (3rd, 900 votes behind winner) I backed them at 16/1 in 2014 and they were 4/6 on the day

We all know that true betting pros prefer talking about unlucky losers than bragging about winners ☺️
    I effectively got a very good bet on Hillary 250 ups for the US election (Combination of SPIN and Spreadex). The prices tightened in both directions, but it came out an overall loser due to Clinton screwing up.

I'd definitely place it again.
  • Options
    Is it just me or are these daily Brexit scare stories like the cuts stories of 2010-2015....every day Armageddon is about to happen, 5 million unemployed, crime to sky rocket, back to Wigan pier etc etc etc. Today's story is actually from October.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

I stopped wearing watches about six or seven years ago, when I realised I had the time on me constantly, via my smartphone

No one wears a Patek Phillipe to look at the time!
    'Patek Philippe, ref 5140-J Complications Calendar wristwatch'

21/01/2016
    To clarify the position. The watch has been professionally valued by a specialist company.
    Although we do not expect it, in the event of a default the valuer has guaranteed to purchase it at a value equal to the valuation plus interest. For this reason the LTV is higher than our normal level.

Real value
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I am not sure this will be as damaging as most people on here might care to believe. It will probably pass most people by.It does, however, confirm the sense that Corbyn is far too politically autistic to be a leader.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

I stopped wearing wristwatches before smartphones were even invented. They kept breaking and costing me more to repair than I'd paid for them in the first place.

Oddly, my timekeeping improved no end after that.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited December 2016
    SeanT said:

Blue_rog said:

PlatoSaid said:

I made it through about 5 episodes but then gave up. Made it all the way through Jessica Jones. Gave up with Continuum after series 1. A really good series is Person of Interest
    Fargo 2 is magnificent. Westworld, so far, is excellent. The Golden Age of TV drama continues
    Talking of reboots, Twin Peaks is back in 2017...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Blue_rog said:

PlatoSaid said:

Fargo 2 is magnificent. Westworld, so far, is excellent. The Golden Age of TV drama continues
    It is beyond lamentable that the greatest drama series about the Windsors has been funded by a Japanese conglomerate and an American internet company. UK production is still the best in the world IMO, but it is foreign companies and management who are making the best of our creative industries.
  • Options
    Re tailors - are Savile Row ones really worth the money? When I had a waistcoat made for my wedding, I went to a local tailors in Ossett, which did a perfectly acceptable job and were I in the market for a made-to-measure suit, I'd happily go back. The reality is that with prices starting at £600 for a two-piece, I'm not in that market but I assume (and I stand to be corrected) that a SR suit would be at least three times the price.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

PlatoSaid said:

I do like POI, I gave up on Jessica Jones on about E8, ditto Man of High Castle. I simply didn't care about the characters enough to endure the crap plot pace.
  • Options
    'Sinn Fein still want to break up the UK. To those who care about keeping the country together, the appointment is at the very least symbollic of a leadership that can't be trusted on the issue.'

That is also true of the SNP and Plaid Cymru.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

isam said:

Be afraid @pulpstar ☺️

Sarah Olney now joint favourite to be next leader of the LibDems. She's on a very fast learning curve.
    For someone who couldn't complete an interview without getting hauled off by her party minder, you have to question those odds. No doubt she'll improve but she's an awfully long way from the finished article.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    SeanT said:

This time I am determined to do something rash and stupid which I will instantly regret. I must stick to my guns.

Was voting Leave not enough Sean? Enjoy the swanky tailoring.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Jezza can't do himself any more harm with the old gits - they've sussed him already and recognise the brand. Only the young and naïve have time for him. So this is a storm in a teacup.
  • Options
    Using 'Quotes' seems to be turned off on PB this morning.

Or is it just me?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    @seanT Not all Saville Row tailors stock hats to match suit.

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/809358313594978304
  • Options
    Mr. 124, point of order: it's my understanding Plaid Cymru don't have independence as current policy.
  • Options
    Don't Northern Irish protestants see themselves as British?

And hence don't need a UKish term?
  • Options

Barnesian said:

isam said:

Be afraid @pulpstar ☺️

For someone who couldn't complete an interview without getting hauled off by her party minder, you have to question those odds. No doubt she'll improve but she's an awfully long way from the finished article.
    Speaks to the quality of their current leader and other MPs though.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,266
    edited December 2016

Re tailors - are Savile Row ones really worth the money? When I had a waistcoat made for my wedding, I went to a local tailors in Ossett, which did a perfectly acceptable job and were I in the market for a made-to-measure suit, I'd happily go back. The reality is that with prices starting at £600 for a two-piece, I'm not in that market but I assume (and I stand to be corrected) that a SR suit would be at least three times the price.

Huntsman suits (from whom I once had a tweed jacket - not made to measure for me needless to say) start at about four times that.

Edit: Jeezo, just checked and bespoke (as opposed to made to measure) Huntsman suits actually start at around £5k.
  • Options
    Raising interest rates is catching on - http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-hongkong-rates-idUKKBN143351
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,562

I predict that Russia and our attitude to its expansion plans will be a massive issue by next GE.

There will be attempts to make it one I'm sure. I suspect the public on the other hand, will be growingly weary of Russia-ramping from the political class and mainstream press. It's sounding increasingly hollow the more it's overused.
  • Options
    'This could be the Dream Election for the Tories. A completely split Opposition, but with a solid 40%+ for May.

= big three figure majority

The Tories could become the SNP of England and Wales. '

Not on the basis of this poll! It implies a Tory majority of 34 - with 15 gains from Labour being partially offset by 4 losses to the LibDems.
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, Carney will be tardy to raise rates, because if he does it soon it'll make his stupid rate cut look like a stupid rate cut.
  • Options
    Which most of us have been saying for a while, even before Brexit the case for a rate rise was probably unarguable, after it is absolutely a necessity.
  • Options

There will be attempts to make it one I'm sure. I suspect the public on the other hand, will be growingly weary of Russia-ramping from the political class and mainstream press. It's sounding increasingly hollow the more it's overused.
    And besides, it's the wrong question. The issue will be our (and Europe's) attitude to Trump's coming éntente with Russia.
  • Options
    'Libs gain lots off Lab a few off Con'.

On these figures the LibDems would gain one seat from Labour - Cambridge - which itself is doubtful given that the Labour MP can expect a first time incumbency boost.
  • Options
    "And besides, it's the wrong question. The issue will be our (and Europe's) attitude to Trump's coming éntente with Russia."

All part of the same thing. Trump will be turning a blind eye to eastern european expansion type thinking from Russia. EU may be on their own. What is UK response? Corbyn's appears to be to roll out the red carpet for the russian tanks as they parade down Riga's high street.
  • Options
    @Justin124 Lets wait and see for any boundary changes on Cambridge, but if it was off the 2015 seat I'd be very happy to go Even Money on the Lib Dems vs Labour.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    edited December 2016
    An amusing anecdote on under-35s and the IRA.

My older sister is 28, and one of her earliest memories is from an cousin's wedding in Northern Ireland (she'd have been 3 or 4), in a holiday bungalow, hiding with my parents and trying not to make a sound. In the early hours of the morning my parents could hear a group of men letting down the tyres of their car - which of course had English numberplates - and were expecting a firebomb to come through the window at any moment.

As it turned out, there had been a mix-up, the men letting down the tyres were a group of the groom's stags, who thought it was his hire bungalow and his car, and that letting the air out would be an amusing prank. When their mistake was realised in the morning they profusely apologised to my folks and re-inflated the tyres.
  • Options

"And besides, it's the wrong question. The issue will be our (and Europe's) attitude to Trump's coming éntente with Russia."

All part of the same thing. Trump will be turning a blind eye to eastern european expansion type thinking from Russia. EU may be on their own. What is UK response? Corbyn's appears to be to roll out the red carpet for the russian tanks as they parade down Riga's high street.

I think people are vastly underestimating the ambition and scope of the kind of deal that is coming. Trump won't be 'turning a blind eye' to anything.
  • Options

Don't Northern Irish protestants see themselves as British?

And hence don't need a UKish term?

I doubt it. I suspect they see themselves as Unionist - as in United Kingdom. And Irish as well.
  • Options
    @ThescreamingEagles Perhaps using Michael Gove as your avatar would be more appropriate than Julius ;) ?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

'Libs gain lots off Lab a few off Con'.

On these figures the LibDems would gain one seat from Labour - Cambridge - which itself is doubtful given that the Labour MP can expect a first time incumbency boost.

Ah yes, detailed seat extrapolations from polls years in advance... so much success!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Farron still to win over 48% of Don't Knows.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@ThescreamingEagles Perhaps using Michael Gove as your avatar would be more appropriate than Julius ;) ?

Surely Boris, given the role Gove played in that drama.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Buffs nails, from February this year

Michael Gove could be set to play the role of Brutus to David Cameron’s Caesar

They say history repeats itself, in 1990, one of Lady Thatcher’s most loyal and long standing supporters, turned on her citing a tragic conflict of loyalty, whilst Gove will not want to trigger Cameron’s departure, his actions may well do. Come the 24th of June, David Cameron might well be uttering Et tu Michael? Like Caesar, a year after a memorable and stunning victory, it could all end very badly for Cameron.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/02/28/michael-gove-could-be-set-to-play-the-role-of-brutus-to-david-camerons-caesar/
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Probably time to sign a non-aggression pact with Russia...
  • Options
    Isam said
    'Ah yes, detailed seat extrapolations from polls years in advance... so much success! '

Apologies - I did not realize that you had direct access to the crystal ball!
  • Options

Huntsman suits (from whom I once had a tweed jacket - not made to measure for me needless to say) start at about four times that.

Edit: Jeezo, just checked and bespoke (as opposed to made to measure) Huntsman suits actually start at around £5k.
    Cheers. Although I can conceptually understand how a suit can be worth £5k (labour, materials, overheads and the rest), I don't really understand why anyone would pay that for it.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

They say history repeats itself, in 1990, one of Lady Thatcher’s most loyal and long standing supporters, turned on her citing a tragic conflict of loyalty, whilst Gove will not want to trigger Cameron’s departure, his actions may well do. Come the 24th of June, David Cameron might well be uttering Et tu Michael? Like Caesar, a year after a memorable and stunning victory, it could all end very badly for Cameron.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/02/28/michael-gove-could-be-set-to-play-the-role-of-brutus-to-david-camerons-caesar/
    What of the theory that Gove stabbed Boris to make amends with Dave? Only for Dave and Boris to make amends fairly quickly.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,562
    PAW said:

Probably time to sign a non-aggression pact with Russia...

Why should something like that be necessary? Let's just stop being aggressive to them - but at the same time make bloody sure we can defend ourselves if necessary.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Mr. Glenn, Carney will be tardy to raise rates, because if he does it soon it'll make his stupid rate cut look like a stupid rate cut.

That's because it was a stupid rate cut.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

'This could be the Dream Election for the Tories. A completely split Opposition, but with a solid 40%+ for May.

= big three figure majority

The Tories could become the SNP of England and Wales. '

Not on the basis of this poll! It implies a Tory majority of 34 - with 15 gains from Labour being partially offset by 4 losses to the LibDems.

True. However,

1. Governments usually improve their position from mid-term to the election.
    2. Mori has been the most favourable of the pollsters to Lab. Other polls have them 15-17% behind.
    3. If the Lib Dems are going big on Remain, Lab will be hit harder than Con on that score. Indeed, Farron is positioning his party very well to pick up disillusioned mainstream Lab voters (and MPs, potentially).
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

What of the theory that Gove stabbed Boris to make amends with Dave? Only for Dave and Boris to make amends fairly quickly.
    Unlikely, he was, and still is, close to George Osborne.

Had Gove become PM, he would have kept George on as Chancellor.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    SeanT said:

Blue_rog said:

PlatoSaid said:

Hear hear. Long may it continue.

Personally i thought Continnuum was fantastic, just unconventional enough as things went along to be noteworthy as well as entertaining. Luke Cage was like the other Marvel tv series - brilliantly produced, very well acted but just something missing from making it great. Daredevil's lead is dull, Jessica Jones was too long for its plot and ended up irritating by repeating itself, and Luke Cage a bit too low key, despite the excellent lead. The last series of Game of Thrones was a big improvement on the previous year too. God bless HBO and Netflix.

Cheers. Although I can conceptually understand how a suit can be worth £5k (labour, materials, overheads and the rest), I don't really understand why anyone would pay that for it.
    Indeed. Maybe you can tell in person, maybe, but whenever a show, fiction or real, talks about a cheap suit vs, say, a 2k suit, I cannot tell. I have one suit that is notably better than the others, and it did cost me near 200.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    Pulpstar It was California which won it for Clinton, Trump led the popular vote until its votes came in
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    lol. That is quite painfully symbolic. But who cares. Trump will grab her by the pussy, given the chance.
    If he does try, I'm fairly certain Trump will lose some fingers and possibly the hand.
This discussion has been closed.