Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris gets his own back on Theresa

Comments

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    Multi stage fissile lederhosen.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    Very interesting speech by Osborne on Aleppo: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/george-osbornes-syria-speech_uk_58500e29e4b040989fa84003

“Let’s be clear now. If you don’t shape the world, you will be shaped by it.”

He's not going away.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

fpt

And America?

The America of Chicago?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/09/us/chicago-shootings-district-11.html?_r=0

The America of Hillary's "can't we just drone this guy". The America that brought us the festival of democracy that is the modern Middle East - courtesy of Shock and Awe. The America that invades whomsoever it likes. The only country to drop the H bomb.

[pedant mode on]

A (atomic) bomb, not H (hydrogen) bomb. Hiroshima and Nagasaki were both fission devices, in which a fissile material (an element high up the periodic table with heavier atoms than normal) is forced rapidly into a critical mass, at which point it undergoes fission (its heavy atoms split releasing electrons) and a chain reaction (each electron splits more atoms, so even more electrons...) and a rapid outpouring of energy (the explosion)

A fusion bomb works the other way around: it forces light atoms to combine (fuse) rapidly. To do this you need a material with lighter atoms than normal, for example an isotope (variant) of hydrogen (hence "H bomb"). It is bloody difficult to make atoms fuse, so to set a fusion bomb off you have to wrap it in a fission bomb and set that off first

[/pedant mode off]
    Pedant mode on. There is no such thing as a pure fusion weapon. There are fusion-boosted fission weapons, the H bomb, and staged thermonuclear weapons. Pedant mode off.
    What are the differences? (I love the story of how the UK detonated the largest atom bomb ever in a bid to hoodwink the yanks into thinking we had the H bomb...)
    A gun-design fission bomb fires some radioactive fuel (uranium or plutonium) into a ball of radioactive fuel to reach criticality (Hiroshima).

An implosion fission bomb uses a shell of explosives around the radioactive fuel to implode it in on itself to reach criticality (Nagasaki).

An H bomb does the same, but then uses that explosion to bring about fusion of deuterium and tritium (hence fusion-boosted fission and hence H bomb as deuterium and tritium are isomers of hydrogen).

Later designs have multiple stage explosions. I believe the US got up to a 3-stage explosion.
    Pedant mode on. You can't create a gun-barrel triggered explosion using plutonium. That's why the implosion technique was invented for the Nagasaki bomb. Pedant mode off.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Very interesting speech by Osborne on Aleppo: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/george-osbornes-syria-speech_uk_58500e29e4b040989fa84003

He's not going away.

If he wants to be foreign secretary, he needs a position on lederhosen. He's taking things far too seriously.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

He's not going away.

If he wants to be foreign secretary, he needs a position on lederhosen. He's taking things far too seriously.
    As I recall Tim used to explain that he had very detailed positions on all such matters.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,336
    DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

He's not going away.

As I recall Tim used to explain that he had very detailed positions on all such matters.
    If rumour is to be believed, Boris has tried every position :wink:
  • Options
    I blame Brexit: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/london-is-no-longer-the-cocaine-capital-of-europe_uk_5850178de4b0fccb679b020b

London overtaken in cocaine consumption by Antwerp of all places. The national shame. All you PBers in London need to get snorting soonest.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Morning all.

Johnson’s amusing ribbing of the PM looks nothing like revenge, served hot or cold.

Just read the Waugh piece, and it's bland harmless jokes.

Totally agree with you here.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I blame Brexit: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/london-is-no-longer-the-cocaine-capital-of-europe_uk_5850178de4b0fccb679b020b

London overtaken in cocaine consumption by Antwerp of all places. The national shame. All you PBers in London need to get snorting soonest.

SeanT has been travelling a lot.......
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited December 2016
    Charles said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

I heard that Boris was fuming at Phil Hammond's gag at Boris at the start of the Autumn statement.

I'm assuming this is payback for this and Mrs May slapping him down for his comments over Saudi Arabia

Yeah, members of the Government should try to avoid making fun of each other on supposedly serious occasions.
    While there are very few occasions that Britons find unsuitable for humour, most countries seperate it from serious business. Gallows humour is a great defuser of tension, but is very context specific. To the EU diplomats we appear to be a bunch of clowns, and who trusts a clown when negotiating?
    They are currently looking like the clowns at the moment, what with their demands for extraterritorial jurisdiction for the ECJ.
    I think that just demonstrates a level of delusion as great as the "Have cake and eat it" Brexiteers, and why we are heading to Hard Brexit.
    Can you give us a philosophical argument as to why we should accept extraterritorial jurisdiction?
    I didn't intend to suggest that we do, just wanted to illustrate how difficult it will be to get a meeting of minds between the Brexiteers and the EU. It will be a dialogue of the deaf.

The focus of the negotiations should be on the mechanisms of Brexit, and how the disentangling occurs, rather than some pursuit of a chimeric post Brexit deal.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    Charles said:

Charles said:

I heard that Boris was fuming at Phil Hammond's gag at Boris at the start of the Autumn statement.

I'm assuming this is payback for this and Mrs May slapping him down for his comments over Saudi Arabia

This was just part of Boris's persona - and I'm rather glad that the Cabinet feels able to make little jokes at each other's expense. It's rather healthy.
    I doubt Mrs May is remotely bothered by the Lederhosen gag (her hyperactive 'protectors' may be another matter - tho with a bit of luck they'll have been told to chill).

Edit - imagine one of St Nicola's acolyte's trying it.....
    I agree. @TSE does seem a little over-sensitive at the moment
    He's just miffed that events keep getting in the way of the glorious moment when the AV thread is published. :D
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Charles said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Yeah, members of the Government should try to avoid making fun of each other on supposedly serious occasions.
    While there are very few occasions that Britons find unsuitable for humour, most countries seperate it from serious business. Gallows humour is a great defuser of tension, but is very context specific. To the EU diplomats we appear to be a bunch of clowns, and who trusts a clown when negotiating?
    They are currently looking like the clowns at the moment, what with their demands for extraterritorial jurisdiction for the ECJ.
    I think that just demonstrates a level of delusion as great as the "Have cake and eat it" Brexiteers, and why we are heading to Hard Brexit.
    Can you give us a philosophical argument as to why we should accept extraterritorial jurisdiction?
    I didn't intend to suggest that we do, just wanted to illustrate how difficult it will be to get a meeting of minds between the Brexiteers and the EU. It will be a dialogue of the deaf.

The focus of the negotiations should be on the mechanisms of Brexit, and how the disentangling occurs, rather than some pursuit of a chimeri post Brexit deal.
    I agree. Can anyone really see Fox and Bernier agreeing on anything? Even assuming, for the moment, that they are both within shouting distance of Planet Earth at the moment negotiations begin, which their past record suggests is a little unlikely, they will both just be out to do each other down.

I rate Davis more highly, but I suspect because he is more restrained and sensible he'll be frozen out.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,874
    edited December 2016

"nor is America THAT different to Russia."

LOL. No. America is flawed, but Russia is sadly another order of magnitude. Just look at a small area that is in the news at the moment, sports, and see how over 1,000 athletes benefited from doping in a state-run scheme.

Not that some US sports stars don't use drugs, but the scale of what happened in Russia was something else.

I'm also surprised that someone who lives and works in London for most of the time is so forgetful of Litvinenko. That messy, botched assassination could easily have caused more injury to innocents around, such as yourself.

Your love of hardmen dictators such as Assad or Putin is odd given your occupation. As a journalist and writer, if you lived in such a state you would be one of the first people to be faced with a choice: bow down and support the government uncritically, or end up with you (and possibly your family) in jail or worse.

So what would it be? Would you be a Solzhenitsyn and a Gerlich, or would you bow down to what you know are forces of evil?

Thanks Mr Jessop. I was trying to make the same point last night but Mrs Walker decided my PB allowance was over.

Of course the US is flawed. As is the UK. As is Norway, FFS. We have not built Jerusalem yet.
    But stating that there's no real difference between the US and Russia involves a wilful moral blindness.

Corbyn has spent a career saying the same thing. Hence his contortions in condemning the bombing of Aleppo. But Corbyn is far left. What's SeanT's excuse?

Ironically, the very real risk of Trump is that he actually does lessen the difference between the US and Russia. Despite the rather hopeful claims that he's a NY billionaire who will revert to acceptable - even Reagan style - type. This, by Putin expert Masha Gessen, is very good:
    https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2016/12/13/putin-paradigm-how-trump-will-rule/
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

He's not going away.

If you want a serious Foreign Secretary, Theresa, here I am.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

The focus of the negotiations should be on the mechanisms of Brexit, and how the disentangling occurs, rather than some pursuit of a chimeric post Brexit deal.
    The argument is this is out best chance to get a good deal.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

The focus of the negotiations should be on the mechanisms of Brexit, and how the disentangling occurs, rather than some pursuit of a chimeri post Brexit deal.
    I agree. Can anyone really see Fox and Bernier agreeing on anything? Even assuming, for the moment, that they are both within shouting distance of Planet Earth at the moment negotiations begin, which their past record suggests is a little unlikely, they will both just be out to do each other down.

I rate Davis more highly, but I suspect because he is more restrained and sensible he'll be frozen out.
    Team is Hammond and Davies with May in the background. Fox and Boris are focusing ex-EU.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,779
    Charles said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

The story is suspect. The Telegraph who have a diet of anti-EU stories to feed quoted one anonymous source who attended an exploratory put everything on the table meeting alongside Barnier. If four anonymous ambassadors, whose job it is to interpret these things,, misunderstood v Boris Johnson in a much more structured and formal meeting, why stood we believe this one? Even if Barnier did raise the topic as described, that doesn't mean the attendees will take the proposition forward. Finally the UK can always knock it back when it comes to negotiation in the unlikely event it does.

Having said all that, legal oversight of the treaty the UK does eventually sign with the EU is going to be a big and tricky issue. The EU reckon they messed up that aspect in the Swiss bilaterals.

• Options
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Team is Hammond and Davies with May in the background. Fox and Boris are focusing ex-EU.
    Didn't know that, that's something. But can you honestly see a lunatic like Bernier dealing with those two on a sensible grown-up level? He even makes Juncker look almost competent.

His appointment is the clearest sign imaginable that the EU doesn't actually believe negotiations will ever start.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

fpt

And America?

The America of Chicago?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/09/us/chicago-shootings-district-11.html?_r=0

The America of Hillary's "can't we just drone this guy". The America that brought us the festival of democracy that is the modern Middle East - courtesy of Shock and Awe. The America that invades whomsoever it likes. The only country to drop the H bomb.

[pedant mode on]

A (atomic) bomb, not H (hydrogen) bomb. Hiroshima and Nagasaki were both fission devices, in which a fissile material (an element high up the periodic table with heavier atoms than normal) is forced rapidly into a critical mass, at which point it undergoes fission (its heavy atoms split releasing electrons) and a chain reaction (each electron splits more atoms, so even more electrons...) and a rapid outpouring of energy (the explosion)

A fusion bomb works the other way around: it forces light atoms to combine (fuse) rapidly. To do this you need a material with lighter atoms than normal, for example an isotope (variant) of hydrogen (hence "H bomb"). It is bloody difficult to make atoms fuse, so to set a fusion bomb off you have to wrap it in a fission bomb and set that off first

[/pedant mode off]
    Pedant mode on. There is no such thing as a pure fusion weapon. There are fusion-boosted fission weapons, the H bomb, and staged thermonuclear weapons. Pedant mode off.
    What are the differences? (I love the story of how the UK detonated the largest atom bomb ever in a bid to hoodwink the yanks into thinking we had the H bomb...)
    A gun-design fission bomb fires some radioactive fuel (uranium or plutonium) into a ball of radioactive fuel to reach criticality (Hiroshima).

An implosion fission bomb uses a shell of explosives around the radioactive fuel to implode it in on itself to reach criticality (Nagasaki).

An H bomb does the same, but then uses that explosion to bring about fusion of deuterium and tritium (hence fusion-boosted fission and hence H bomb as deuterium and tritium are isomers of hydrogen).

Later designs have multiple stage explosions. I believe the US got up to a 3-stage explosion.
    Pedant mode: isotopes not isomers.

Isomers are molecules of the same composition but different configuration, eg propanol (C3H8O) is a three carbon chain with an -OH group that can be either on the end carbon (1-propanol) or the middle carbon (2-propanol).

Isotopes are atoms of the same element (same number of protons in the nucleus) with different numbers of neutrons. Normal hydrogen has no neutrons; deuterium has one and tritium two. All have the single proton in the nucleus which is what makes hydrogen hydrogen.
  • Options
    It seems obvious to me to go for a 'clean' (hard?) Brexit, and then negotiate deals from there, rather than trying to disentangle everything piecemeal. Can't the govt see that there is too much detail to go for a 'soft' Brexit? Isn't it clear that with the complexity and politicking, two years is nowhere near long enough? Give a man an impossible job, and when he fails, it is your fault, not his.

With a starting point of a blank sheet, an amazing amount would be covered in two years.
  • Options
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

That makes sense - and is encouraging. And we can all look forward to Mr Fox's cavalcade of Trade Deals......
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

a lunatic like Bernier
    The French prefer 'cretin'......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/27/who-is-michelbarnier-the-frenchman-in-charge-of-the-eus-brexit-n/
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,966
    edited December 2016

It seems obvious to me to go for a 'clean' (hard?) Brexit, and then negotiate deals from there, rather than trying to disentangle everything piecemeal. Can't the govt see that there is too much detail to go for a 'soft' Brexit? Isn't it clear that with the complexity and politicking, two years is nowhere near long enough? Give a man an impossible job, and when he fails, it is your fault, not his.

With a starting point of a blank sheet, an amazing amount would be covered in two years.

There is a big political problem with a hard Brexit: it is likely to cause sustained economic hardship. That means lost votes. Squaring the Brexit circle economically and politically is the government's biggest challenge.

• Options
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

May is not in the background. She is front and centre, second guessing everything with a view to getting a good headline in the anti-EU press.

• Options
    Good morning, everyone.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991

There is a big political problem with a hard Brexit: it is likely to cause sustained economic hardship. That means lost votes. Squaring the Brexit circle economically and politically is the government's biggest challenge.

Quick deal with a quick general election is the answer, before any negative effect is felt. Worked for tsipras,
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Didn't know that, that's something. But can you honestly see a lunatic like Bernier dealing with those two on a sensible grown-up level? He even makes Juncker look almost competent.

His appointment is the clearest sign imaginable that the EU doesn't actually believe negotiations will ever start.
    More likely a mixture of incompetence and arrogance.

(said in my best Scooby Doo villain voice) "The EU would have been ok if it wasn't for you pesky Brits"
  • Options

As far I can tell, a clean break is the EU objective. As they are in a stronger negotiating position than we are*, they'll probably get what they want. A clean break doesn't necessarily mean no agreement, not that they are out to "punish" us.

* Because the EU is in control of the process and the timescale;, they are bigger than us and therefore need the deal less than we do; because Theresa May is throwing away our best negotiating tactic - staying put until we get what we want - because she is scared of the Brexiteers.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Quick deal with a quick general election is the answer, before any negative effect is felt. Worked for tsipras,

I think May wants to avoid an election that may become a de facto rerun of the referendum. She might end up having no choice, though.

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Off topic, this seems to be getting even mure stupid now

http://order-order.com/2016/12/14/boris-aide-joins-edelman-mays-aides-forced/
  • Options
    Floater said:

Off topic, this seems to be getting even mure stupid now

http://order-order.com/2016/12/14/boris-aide-joins-edelman-mays-aides-forced/

This story is two months old.
  • Options
    Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185

kle4 said:

I think May wants to avoid an election that may become a de facto rerun of the referendum. She might end up having no choice, though.

The Conservatives are stuck between a rock and a hard place. There is no likelihood of a pre-Brexit election because they would not be able to say what outcome they were trying to negotiate without offending one wing of the party or the other (and electorate for that matter). So a post-Brexit election it will be and if that is on the back of a hard-Brexit then all the negative implications will be apparent to the country but not yet any of the positives. They will lose that election as people will blame them for all the problems that will have become all to apparent by then.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    Ally_B said:

kle4 said:

The Conservatives are stuck between a rock and a hard place. There is no likelihood of a pre-Brexit election because they would not be able to say what outcome they were trying to negotiate without offending one wing of the party or the other (and electorate for that matter). So a post-Brexit election it will be and if that is on the back of a hard-Brexit then all the negative implications will be apparent to the country but not yet any of the positives. They will lose that election as people will blame them for all the problems that will have become all to apparent by then.
    However bad it gets I doubt May would ever lose an election to Corbyn. However as I have said before it is unlikely to be hard Brexit or soft Brexit but 'grey' Brexit ie free movement but only with a job offer and limited budget contributions to the EU for limited single market access
  • Options
    A lot of the rebels do look terrible, but I rather think the conclusion the Russians won't listen to us because of our disgraceful behaviour is not rooted in fact - when have they ever listened to us?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    HYUFD said:

Ally_B said:

kle4 said:

However bad it gets I doubt May would ever lose an election to Corbyn. However as I have said before it is unlikely to be hard Brexit or soft Brexit but 'grey' Brexit ie free movement but only with a job offer and limited budget contributions to the EU for limited single market access
    I like the idea of associate membership of the Eu with an EU passport. its a brill idea.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ally_B said:

kle4 said:

Any level of contribution will be labelled a betrayal. It will be interesting how the internal party ructions on that go, if that is the path.
  • Options
    Windows 10 continuing to make friends and influence people:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38301548

Just glad it doesn't appear to be affecting Windows 7.
  • Options

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

May is not in the background. She is front and centre, second guessing everything with a view to getting a good headline in the anti-EU press.

Referring to the actual negotiations not the pre-politicking
  • Options

Windows 10 continuing to make friends and influence people:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38301548

Just glad it doesn't appear to be affecting Windows 7.

You don't get this problem with Apple computers.

Apple FTW
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Ally_B said:

kle4 said:

I like the idea of associate membership of the Eu with an EU passport. its a brill idea.
    I would not be too disappointed with that either
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, surprised there isn't more variety in desktops, to be honest.
  • Options
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Ally_B said:

kle4 said:

Any level of contribution will be labelled a betrayal. It will be interesting how the internal party ructions on that go, if that is the path.
    Anything short of a complete end to EU budget contributions, an end to membership of the single market and a points system for EU migrants will be labelled a betrayal by parts of the Tory right and UKIP. May will inevitably disappoint them in some respect which is why I expect UKIP to still be a force once the deal has been done.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The traditional way to prevent an election turning into a referendum on X is to offer that after the election, you will hold... a referendum on X...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Ally_B said:

kle4 said:

The initial proposal sounded too good to be true for all sides, but apparently would be much harder to set up, and politically seems a hard sell. Partner rather than associate member would probably be a better name if it were a genuine option, anything with member in the name would be far too close to our existing status. Maybe a longer term option, as it seems unlikely the eu would favour a deal where nations could be associates and thus get most of what they want without full membership. It makes leaving look too attractive. And of course it would be much easier to argue the outcome doesn't match the referendum.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The traditional way to prevent an election turning into a referendum on X is to offer that after the election, you will hold... a referendum on X...
    Or to change the question to a referendum on something else e.g. Do you trust May or Corbyn to protect Britain's interests in Brexit negotiations?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Ally_B said:

kle4 said:

There is a big

Anything short of a complete end to EU budget contributions, an end to membership of the single market and a points system for EU migrants will be labelled a betrayal by parts of the Tory right and UKIP. May will inevitably disappoint them in some respect which is why I expect UKIP to still be a force once the deal has been done.
    Yes indeed, but the extent of the trouble will be interesting. If the a50 case is lost, with the fury that will provoke, I think it might strengthen the hand of the betrayal crowd, since calls that option a or b represents attempts to undercut the result will gain more credence.
  • Options

Sounds like any day on PB.

htt://twitter.com/rcolvile/status/808953559681273860

I find it a little worrying that even if one is in the 'Brexit will inevitably be a success' crowd rather than 'it could be and we will make it one' crowd, that people get annoyed at being told it will be difficult work getting there.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, sounds like Gove could be performing a useful role in Cabinet...
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    One reason why the Euro deal will be crap for us. Davis et al haven't a clue.

Edit: I think Davis could be a case study for the Dunning-Krueger effect

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which low-ability individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability as much higher than it really is. (Wikipedia)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    Ally_B said:

kle4 said:

Most politicians would welcome the Conservatives' problems.
  • Options
    Mr. 43, that's a concern. On the other hand, Cameron's 'deal' was bloody pathetic.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

One reason why the Euro deal will be crap for us. Davis et al haven't a clue.

Edit: I think Davis could be a case study for the Dunning-Krueger effect

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which low-ability individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability as much higher than it really is. (Wikipedia)

A cabinet of incompetents, mediocrities and Philip Hammond.

• Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

HYUFD said:

Ally_B said:

kle4 said:

Why? I voted Remain but if we are going to Leave and make it work we need to do it totally and establish a full bilateral relationship with the EU in our own right rather than be part of some sub unit that has no influence on the rules or direction of the EU.
  • Options
    For that matter, Blair was the worst. He actively frolicked into Brussels, threw away half the rebate, and got nothing in return.

Thatcher getting the rebate was probably the last good deal the UK got.
  • Options

For that matter, Blair was the worst. He actively frolicked into Brussels, threw away half the rebate, and got nothing in return.

Nonsense, your grasp of history of any era is rubbish.

The Single European Act and Maastricht to name but two were good deals the U.K. obtained post Fontainebleau
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2016

What about Major getting us an opt out of the Euro? Imagine if we were entwined in the Euro right now.
  • Options
    Mr. Thompson, hmm. Perhaps. But then, if Major hadn't got that, would he have stayed PM?

Also, Thatcher got us something back. Major only get us an opt-out of the tentacles grabbing even more power.

It will be interesting to see how the eurozone goes in the near future, likewise EU politics.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Ally_B said:

kle4 said:

It seems obvious to me to go for a 'clean' (hard?) Brexit, and then negotiate deals from there, rather than trying to disentangle everything piecemeal. Can't the govt seeowhere near long enough? Give a man an impossible job, and when he fails, it is your fault, not his.

There is a big

The Conservatives are stuck between a rock and a hard place. There is no likelihood of a pre-Brexit election because they would not be able to say what outcome y will lose that election as people will blame them for all the problems that will have become all to apparent by then.
    Yes indeed, but the extent of the trouble will be interesting. If the a50 case is lost, with the fury that will provoke, I think it might strengthen the hand of the betrayal crowd, since calls that option a or b represents attempts to undercut the result will gain more credence.
    The loss of the A50 case would be the beginnings of the betrayal movement but Parliament will still authorise Brexit, the betrayal calls will grow louder as the negotiations go on and hard Brexiteers and UKIP realise they will not get everything they want
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, yes, but it's also possible the centre could re-coalesce around a deal that involves departure but not on WTO terms. That would be electorally powerful, but May's task would be to keep herself alive (as Queen nearly sang) long enough for a General Election.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I'd almost forgotten about the Article 50 row. One side effect for me was to see how subjective the whole process is. It's an argument between different opinions.

I said that scientists can be subjective, but compared to lawyers we're bulwarks of objectivity. We set a high bar for verification, but in law it's who can shout most efficiently. And even worse, the prevailing opinion gets codified into law as a fact to be followed henceforth. Is it really a job for an adult?

A QC qualification is on a par with a boy scout's badge for fire-lighting - and at least we know the fire is lit.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Ally_B said:

kle4 said:

Not if it is positioned correctly. Money is fine.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Ally_B said:

kle4 said:

It seems obvious to me to go for a 'clean' (hard?) Brexit, and then negotiate deals from there, rather than trying to disentangle everything piecemeal. Can't the govt seeowhere near long enough? Give a man an impossible job, and when he fails, it is your fault, not his.

There is a big

The Conservatives are stuck between a rock and a hard place. There is no likelihood of a pre-Brexit election because they would not be able to say what outcome y will lose that election as people will blame them for all the problems that will have become all to apparent by then.
    The loss of the A50 case would be the beginnings of the betrayal movement but Parliament will still authorise Brexit, the betrayal calls will grow louder as the negotiations go on and hard Brexiteers and UKIP realise they will not get everything they want
    But they might, if the betrayal clamour is strong enough - it is the default option, hardest Brexit, the easiest, cleanest option. How well softer brexiter push the case will be critical.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

What about Major getting us an opt out of the Euro? Imagine if we were entwined in the Euro right now.
    That was a negative, rather than a positive, achievement, but certainly one that he deserves credit for. Had we joined the Euro, I expect the boom in the run up to 2007 would have been greater, along with the subsequent crash. We'd have been like Ireland, but with an economy fifteen times bigger.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, perversely, that may be skewed by Muslims living in enclaves. The recent Casey Report said some there believed 75% of the UK was Muslim.
  • Options
    Last time this was done, I had some methodological points. In particular one respondent recorded >75% (clearly not a good faith answer) - and responses like that were included because the overall result was the mean, not the median.

The median was still twice the correct answer though.
  • Options
    A combination of people overestimating Muslim migration and segregated communities assuming mire of their new country is like their bit?
  • Options
    Perhaps if the 'we must stop Islamisation NOW' mob get to read this they might be reassured.

Or perhaps not.
  • Options
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Ally_B said:

kle4 said:

Not if it is positioned correctly. Money is fine.
    It's the former bit that concerns me, as emotions run high and perception of betrayal us more critical than it occurring. But then I'd have been happy with a formal associate type status rather than full membership in the first place.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Dancer,

" The recent Casey Report said some there believed 75% of the UK was Muslim."

That's a good point. How useful is the survey without an indication of the sampling method?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    @TSE
    Yes that graphic is mind blowing. Or unbelievable. Or incredible. Or fantastic.

Perhaps it correlates better with something like "How much do you think about the Muslims in our country?"
  • Options
    Makes you wonder what they've hacked from the RNC or any of the UK political parties.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Ally_B said:

kle4 said:

There is a big

Anything short of a complete end to EU b done.
    Yes indeed, but the extent of the trouble will be interesting. If the a50 case is lost, with the f
    The loss of the A50 case would be the beginnings of the ing they want
    But they might, if the betrayal clamour is strong enough - it is the default option, hardest Brexit, the easiest, cleanest option. How well softer brexiter push the case will be critical.
    Yougov yesterday made clear less than a third of voters back hard Brexit, die-hard Remainers are about the same. Most voters favour a Canada style deal with a dash of EFTA and May can read the polls and that is exactly what she will do.
  • Options

The Single European Act and Maastricht to name but two were good deals the U.K. obtained post Fontainebleau
    If Maastricht had been a good deal, we wouldn't have had 20 years of people pushing for a referendum to roll back ever closer union.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    What a mess. I could have 'hacked' Podesta's emails, which were on an unsecured gmail account, which they got into by having him click on a link to a dodgy password reset site they'd set up.

Given the amount of money in the DNC, their IT team were shit at setting things up, and shit at handling the problems when they occurred. They should have know that a political party would be a target for hackers

No sympathy. At all.
  • Options
    Reasons Hillary Lost The Election Part 94.

We've had

- Comey
    - Fake News
    - Stupid Voters
    - Russians
    - Electoral Fraud

And none of them are sticking unless you want to believe them regardless. The only significant electoral fraud has been conducted by Hillary fans as video'd by Veritas, there's no evidence of sophisticated Russian hacking - Podesta clicked on a phishing link and actually told thousands of people his user name and password in an email.

The CIA are in some peculiar proxy war with the FBI over this - and frankly I don't believe a word the CIA says about anything since their day job is lying.

In ten years, no one has credibly challenged the content of Wikileaks - they get rubbished, but never proven wrong. The Left loved them when they were embarrassing the Right - now it's the Russkies fault - pfft.

The US liberals need to get over themselves - they lost the contest using the rules that applied.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Ally_B said:

kle4 said:

There is a big

Yes indeed, but the extent of the trouble will be interesting. If the a50 case is lost, with the f
    Yougov yesterday made clear less than a third of voters back hard Brexit, die-hard Remainers are about the same. Most voters favour a Canada style deal with a dash of EFTA and May can read the polls and that is exactly what she will do.
    "most" = about a third?
  • Options

If Maastricht had been a good deal, we wouldn't have had 20 years of people pushing for a referendum to roll back ever closer union.
    Maastricht created the Euro. Which will come be seen as the folly which ultimately doomed the EU by future historians.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Sandpit said:

What a mess. I could have 'hacked' Podesta's emails, which were on an unsecured gmail account, which they got into by having him click on a link to a dodgy password reset site they'd set up.

Given the amount of money in the DNC, their IT team were shit at setting things up, and shit at handling the problems when they occurred. They should have know that a political party would be a target for hackers

No sympathy. At all.
    It rather plays into the idea that the Democrats can't be trusted with emails, doesn't it?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    That committee is chaired by May. Interesting that she says nothing and let's them go round in circles...
  • Options
    F1: Maldonado reportedly talking to teams about a return.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Makes you wonder what they've hacked from the RNC or any of the UK political parties.
    Ben Bradshaw claims they affected the result of the EU referendum:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/russian-interference-brexit-highly-probable-referendum-hacking-putin-a7472706.html

Don't see it myself - not aware of a preponderance of embarrassing leaks from REMAIN over LEAVE - both were pretty good at shovelling ordure over themselves and each other.....

This is going to be the problem - while I've no doubt it is in Russia's strategic interest to undermine the EU, and BREXIT almost certainly helps that - I am not aware of any 'events' - like the Democrats leaked emails which occurred in the campaign to indicate that.....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

No sympathy. At all.
    Another random person took control of Podesta's AppleMail and iPhone - stuck it all on Twitter before deleting the entire contents to annoy Podesta.

Anyone stupid enough to email their own password/username to a bunch of people is asking for it.

Assange indicated that the DNC staffer murdered in a random street shooting was the source. It was a very small nod, but seized on. I've no view here - but being a source, and then shortly later shot in the back in broad daylight doesn't help to defuse motives.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Ally_B said:

kle4 said:

There is a big

However bad it gets I doubt May would ever lose an election to Corbyn. Howev single market access
    One person's soft brexit is another person's 'not really leaving at all'. So it comes down to how soft and hard can be presented, whatever people indicate their preference is now. And how May for one chooses to present the options as will depend on what she thinks she can get. If she cannot get the option that is most popular, she will need the next best thing and act as though what she is presenting is the same basic thing, and conversely that anything else is terrible.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Reasons Hillary Lost The Election Part 94.

Did you read the article?

If you had, you'd have seen it didn't claim what you attacked it for, in many ways the biggest 'villains of the piece' are the US Media.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, the pro-Remain language of soft/hard may come back to bite them, as anything portrayed as 'soft' can be seen as weak, betrayal, leaving in name only etc.
  • Options
    Charles Delavan, a Clinton campaign aide, incorrectly legitimized a phishing email sent to the personal account of John D. Podesta, the campaign chairman.

Oh dear, oh dear...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Last time this was done, I had some methodological points. In particular one respondent recorded >75% (clearly not a good faith answer) - and responses like that were included because the overall result was the mean, not the median.

The median was still twice the correct answer though.
    I agree, the Median is a better measure of such data.

Bear in mind the number of Muslims would probably halve if only observant Muslims were included too.

#Muslimslikeus was quite fascinating on BBC2, well worth catching.
  • Options

Mr. kle4, the pro-Remain language of soft/hard may come back to bite them, as anything portrayed as 'soft' can be seen as weak, betrayal, leaving in name only etc.

Still holding out for either a minty Brexit or spherical Brexit.

• Options

JonathanD said:

Ben Bradshaw claims they affected the result of the EU referendum:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/russian-interference-brexit-highly-probable-referendum-hacking-putin-a7472706.html

Don't see it myself - not aware of a preponderance of embarrassing leaks from REMAIN over LEAVE - both were pretty good at shovelling ordure over themselves and each other.....

This is going to be the problem - while I've no doubt it is in Russia's strategic interest to undermine the EU, and BREXIT almost certainly helps that - I am not aware of any 'events' - like the Democrats leaked emails which occurred in the campaign to indicate that.....
    Panama papers would be the only leak around about that time.

I suspect Bradshaws 'hackers' comment really means the excessive posting of dodgy news, Facebook twitter, etc. Sputnik opening an office in Edinburgh is an obvious example.

Nothing to get too paranoid about but just something to be aware of. Gary Kasparov has a good comment along the lines of the purpose of propaganda and infowars not being to make you believe but to dull your senses in being able to evaluate the truth.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Sandpit said:

No sympathy. At all.
    It rather plays into the idea that the Democrats can't be trusted with emails, doesn't it?
    Somewhat.

Ironically, this is the sort of project for which they should have got a dedicated mail server, behind a VPN and firewall, with a white list of appproved and managed devices allowed to connect to it - exactly the same as any large company does!!!!!

Hopefully politicians and staffers of all stripes will learn from this.

1. Spend money on IT infrastructure and people, it can and will save your reputation. A mail server with support would have cost them no more than $100k a year, and the admin guy could probably have done a load more stuff with them at the same time - like secure their Dropbox or whatever, that they were lucky not to get hacked in the same way!

2. Assume that anything sent by email might end up as public domain. Have secret strategy discussions as actual meetings or video conferences, rather than by long email chains.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Ally_B said:

kle4 said:

There is a big

"most" = about a third?
    Compared to hard Brexit or a Norway EFTA option a Canada style deal was the only one which had a majority saying it would respect the referendum result and be a positive outcome for the UK
  • Options
    So that's the South of England written off:

A Labour shadow minister has branded striking Southern Rail workers “admirable” amid the worst disruption to the train network in years.

While more than 300,000 commuters were left stranded at stations across London on Tuesday, the opposition’s transport secretary Andy McDonald pledged to “stand shoulder to shoulder” with union members.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/labour-transport-chief-praises-guts-of-striking-southern-rail-workers-a3419651.html
  • Options

Major got opt-outs from the Euro and Social Chapter.
  • Options

Charles Delavan, a Clinton campaign aide, incorrectly legitimized a phishing email sent to the personal account of John D. Podesta, the campaign chairman.

Oh dear, oh dear...
    I can forgive someone making a silly click-error - never done it myself that I know of, but it could happen.

Emailing your username and password to a bunch of people is cretinous. Who on PB would do this? It's worse than falling for a Nigerian Prince offering you £50m.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, I prefer coffee-flavoured, to be honest.

Don't want Turkish Delight.
This discussion has been closed.