Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Positives for CON, UKIP and the LDs in Sleaford & Hykehem N bu

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,170
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Right wing Labour MPs should be looking at these polling figures, looking at the leadership election over the summer and concluding that it's time to move on and start a new party. If they aren't already, of course.

But new parties fail under FPTP.

Which ever way they look, or turn, Labour MPs are stymied.
    They can either resign themselves to defeat and irrelevance or they can try to change the nation's politics - very firmly against the odds, but try.

As it happens, their message has a very ready audience if it can find the right home. There are two overlapping groups: centrist/centre-left voters who believe in redistribution; and Remain voters, both of whom have no plausible home at present. With Britain's electorate fracturing regionally, it should be more possible for a new party to build regional bases under FPTP than ever before.

So while I see it as an odds-against endeavour, it's not a charge of the light brigade.
    But most of these Labour MPs are in Leave voting constituencies. And the Lib Dems are already targeting the centre-soft right Remain voters, as we see in Richmond.

So if this SDP2 morphs into a centrist Remain party they might win a couple of seats off..... the Lib Dems and maybe the Scot Nats. And lose dozens of seats in the north and Wales to the residual Corbynite party, or the Tories, or even UKIP.

A new SDP-Remain party simply fractures the centre-Left and Left even further.

Labour MPs are fucked. Unless and until they can remove Corbyn, & install a sensible leader. It won't happen until the early 2020s; however, by that time Brexit will be done and dusted, so it recedes as an issue entirely (likewise immigration, which the Tories will have sorted).

It is possible, in that case, to see a real Labour revival in 2025 - maybe even preventing an overall Tory majority, and a big Labour win in 2030 (after two decades of Tory power)

The crucial and difficult part will be preventing another idiot lefty leader seizing the Labour reins after Corbyn steps down.

I doubt the immigration issue will disappear completely, free movement restricted by a job offer, which May is heading for, will not be enough for about 20% of the population who will be UKIP targets. Labour's best bet is for Corbyn to be trounced in 2020 and resign and for someone like Chuka Umunna or Keith Starmer or Dan Jarvis to take over. However May looks set to be PM until about 2025 regardless. She could become the UK's Merkel
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

More than 1000 Russian athletes benefited from a state-sponsored doping programme run for four years from 2011, a new report claims.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/38261608

Edit: beaten by Mr Urquhart!

But but, I totally thought it was just a few bad apples and it was unfair to ban even the few who were
    Are they naming names? Was one of the athletes Yelena Isinbayeva?
    I bloody hope not! I think she was training in Europe by 2013, after a couple of years off to have a baby.
    But was still banned from Rio. So even if the numbers were high, a total ban on anyone born in Russia from competing at the games could still be argued to have been harsh.
    The country needed to be punished so they learn not to accept such shadiness. That innocent parties get swept up too is a feature not a bug, otherwise the nation will keep doing it as they'll still be able to send some arhletes, it's worth the risk
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

More than 1000 Russian athletes benefited from a state-sponsored doping programme run for four years from 2011, a new report claims.

But but, I totally thought it was just a few bad apples and it was unfair to ban even the few who were
    I bloody hope not! I think she was training in Europe by 2013, after a couple of years off to have a baby.
    But was still banned from Rio. So even if the numbers were high, a total ban on anyone born in Russia from competing at the games could still be argued to have been harsh.
    I guess we'll have to wait and see what comes out, but she's done more for her event over the past decade than anyone except Usain Bolt - it would be heartbreaking to discover it wasn't done cleanly.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,838

Mr. Tyndall, if memory serves, Antigonus Monopthalmus was that age, or perhaps older, when he started rising to real prominence.

You do give me hope then. A friend and I were sat in a pub a few weeks ago discussing this. He is in his mid 50s, I in my early 50s, and we were trying to come up with examples of people in arts, music, literature or science who didn't really start to do their best work until they were in their 50s. In modern post war music I am inclined to the belief that all great work is done by the young, usually in their first 2 or 3 albums at most. The same seems generally to apply to literature and the sciences. I would love to hear of examples where people first became successful later in life but - perhaps with the exception of politics - they seem few and far between.
    First became successful when already in their fifties, that I am struggling with, though it depends on how you measure success, I suppose. If you ask the question slightly differently, who did their best work when past fifty. The most obvious example being Beethoven.

In the field of the sciences and mathematics, however, with the odd exceptions such as Euler most great ideas come from younger people and, I think, most of the people who produced those ideas are burnt out, or dead, long before they hit 50.
    Samuel Richardson wrote his first novel at the age of 51.
    Juan Manuel Fangio was 40 when he won his first world championship, and 48 when he won his last.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    MrsB said:

Pulpstar said:

Good result:
    8/10 Tories. Derisory turnout and losing plenty of votes prevents a 9 or 10.
    7/10 Lib Dems. Gained votes in a difficult area with a poor turnout..

Middling result
    5/10 UKIP. No inroads made to the Tories, not that great a result in all honesty.

Poor result
    2/10 Labour. Not as bad a vote share as some had forecast.

LibDems only found an extra 106 voters willing to put their heads above the parapet since 2015.... Real winner was the Can't Be Arsed Party. December is a particularly good month for them.
    That's a stupid comment. Turnout was half that at the GE. I did predict it would be low. Real achievement to add voters in that situation.

Tories were always going to win. Lib Dems did ok given the scale of the campaign, which was tiny compared to Richmond Park. UKIP went backwards - yes, they were 2nd but soooooo far behind the Tories. As for Labour, oh dear, does not bode well.

All in all, it came out more or less as I anticipated.
    So we can assume a much weaker performance for the LDs in a GE where there troops will be much more diluted than in Richmond the other weak. Thanks for clearing that up.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,990

I know I'm occasionally critical of Theresa May, but I've got nothing on these people.

1% of GE2015 Tory voters prefer Jeremy Corbyn as PM over Theresa May

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/807186226331717633

1% of current Tory voters prefer Corbyn to May! I had assumed that was you :)
    I'm currently answering VI questions with 'don't know who i'll vote for'
    Admit it. You're a secret admirer of Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

I like the graph - a TERRRRRIBLE night for the Conservatives!

Seriously, if all Labour can say is that we are been squeezed between the party of Leave and the party of Remain, it suggest we have learnt nothing from our Scottish wipe-out. We could get a total hammering in next May's locals. Hopefully by 2020, with Brexit a done deal, voters will refocus on other issues.

If Labour is hamered next May I would expect another challenge to Corbyn. This time the evidence of his electoral toxicity would be much more obvious!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

I guess we'll have to wait and see what comes out, but she's done more for her event over the past decade than anyone except Usain Bolt - it would be heartbreaking to discover it wasn't done cleanly.
    Given it's a very technical discipline, I wouldn't worry too much.
  • Options
    Johnny Cash and Leonard Cohen both produced some of their best work in old age. In art, the same is true of Rembrandt.

Beethoven's Ninth, surely the single finest piece of music ever written, was composed when he was 53, three years before his death.
  • Options
    MrsB said:

Pulpstar said:

Good result:
    8/10 Tories. Derisory turnout and losing plenty of votes prevents a 9 or 10.
    7/10 Lib Dems. Gained votes in a difficult area with a poor turnout..

Middling result
    5/10 UKIP. No inroads made to the Tories, not that great a result in all honesty.

Poor result
    2/10 Labour. Not as bad a vote share as some had forecast.

LibDems only found an extra 106 voters willing to put their heads above the parapet since 2015.... Real winner was the Can't Be Arsed Party. December is a particularly good month for them.
    That's a stupid comment. Turnout was half that at the GE. I did predict it would be low. Real achievement to add voters in that situation.

Tories were always going to win. Lib Dems did ok given the scale of the campaign, which was tiny compared to Richmond Park. UKIP went backwards - yes, they were 2nd but soooooo far behind the Tories. As for Labour, oh dear, does not bode well.

All in all, it came out more or less as I anticipated.
    If we hadn't all been distracted by Richmond Park, I think the Lib Dems would have achieved a comfortable second by hoovering up more of the Remain vote.

Nice to see the party back in double figures with Yougov. I've got a feeling that Labour will continue to shed remainers over the next couple of months & we'll see the LDs nose ahead of UKIP. The UKIP message - vote for us to make sure that Brexit happens - doesn't really work. People expect Theresa May to implement Brexit.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

Right wing Labour MPs should be looking at these polling figures, looking at the leadership election over the summer and concluding that it's time to move on and start a new party. If they aren't already, of course.

They can either resign themselves to defeat and irrelevance or they can try to change the nation's politics - very firmly against the odds, but try.

As it happens, their message has a very ready audience if it can find the right home. There are two overlapping groups: centrist/centre-left voters who believe in redistribution; and Remain voters, both of whom have no plausible home at present. With Britain's electorate fracturing regionally, it should be more possible for a new party to build regional bases under FPTP than ever before.

So while I see it as an odds-against endeavour, it's not a charge of the light brigade.
    They need to get on with it now, however. If this realignment happened in the current parliament, it would probably have 150-200 MPs, be the official opposition and have a chance to use that platform to build its constituency base so that it could win FPTP elections in 3 years time. The redrawing of the parliamentary borders would help in this.
    The are two chances of Labour coming close to the Tories at the next election:

1. Get rid of Corbyn ASAP - he's completely unelectable.

2. Split off *more than half* the PLP into a single new party, such that they become the official opposition and leave Corbyn sitting next to Farron and Salmond.

They tried 1. this summer and it didn't work, so unless they think it can work again they need to do 2. and do it quickly.

My view. They don't have the cojones to do what's necessary. Maybe a few more polls like today's YouGov might focus their minds a little.
    Polls won't shift minds.

a. There's too much scepticism towards the industry for anyone to be too confident about anything.

b. The drift is ever-so-slightly downwards, consistently, so each new low soon becomes normalised (hence today's 17% Con lead not being met with WTFs, and NPalmer commenting that the biggest Tory by-election victory since the early 1970s was a bit of a meh result).

c. Polls don't have results on the ground. No-one has lost a job as a result of a datasheet.

Labour MPs will only really start to panic if they start losing by-elections to either the Tories or UKIP (losses to the Lib Dems or SNP are also to a large extent normalised, though in fact rare with Labour in opposition).
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Seriously, if all Labour can say is that we are been squeezed between the party of Leave and the party of Remain, it suggest we have learnt nothing from our Scottish wipe-out. We could get a total hammering in next May's locals. Hopefully by 2020, with Brexit a done deal, voters will refocus on other issues.

If Labour is hamered next May I would expect another challenge to Corbyn. This time the evidence of his electoral toxicity would be much more obvious!

It'll be 2018, I reckon.

• Options

Labour MPs should defect to the Lib Dems then effect a hostile take over and shunt out Tim Farron.

Yes. It would work if they could bring a few tens of thousands of members with them then sign up more from scratch. After the Soft Launch they could drop the ' liberal ' from the day to day title and move to Red and Gold colours.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,990
    Nigelb said:

Mr. Tyndall, if memory serves, Antigonus Monopthalmus was that age, or perhaps older, when he started rising to real prominence.

You do give me hope then. A friend and I were sat in a pub a few weeks ago discussing this. He is in his mid 50s, I in my early 50s, and we were trying to come up with examples of people in arts, music, literature or science who didn't really start to do their best work until they were in their 50s. In modern post war music I am inclined to the belief that all great work is done by the young, usually in their first 2 or 3 albums at most. The same seems generally to apply to literature and the sciences. I would love to hear of examples where people first became successful later in life but - perhaps with the exception of politics - they seem few and far between.
    First became successful when already in their fifties, that I am struggling with, though it depends on how you measure success, I suppose. If you ask the question slightly differently, who did their best work when past fifty. The most obvious example being Beethoven.

In the field of the sciences and mathematics, however, with the odd exceptions such as Euler most great ideas come from younger people and, I think, most of the people who produced those ideas are burnt out, or dead, long before they hit 50.
    Juan Manuel Fangio was 40 when he won his first world championship, and 48 when he won his last.
    George Martin was a successful novelist from his thirties onwards, but his sales only really took off after 2005, with the publication of A Feast for Crows, when he was 57 (probably, 90% of his sales took place after that date). Tolkien was 65 when the Lord of the Rings was published.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

And the Corbyn supporters in the party membership will still say the result was poor because the party didn't unite behind the leader, was too 'Blairite' -SPIT- and not left-wing enough...
  • Options

Another by election on Mrs May's watch where the Tory share of the vote falls.

Just look at how many Tory voters who stayed at home in the second chart.

Do you get paid to spin for George Osborne, or do you just do it for free?
    I'm pointing out that the by election results are not consistent with polls showing the Tories 16% ahead.
    This one is.
    No- this result equates to a Tory lead of 11%.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

George Martin was a successful novelist from his thirties onwards, but his sales only really took off after 2005, with the publication of A Feast for Crows, when he was 57 (probably, 90% of his sales took place after that date). Tolkien was 65 when the Lord of the Rings was published.
    Jane Austen and the Brontes!
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Sean_F said:

Come to think of it, a lot of military men have been well into middle age, or even old age, when they pulled off their greatest achievements, eg Fabius Maximus, Caesar, Genghis Khan, Marlborough, Blucher, Wellington, Kutusov.
    Since the days of Alexander, you needed to be old to have risen far enough to be given credit for the victory. Anyone lower down the pecking order was a 'great hero' rather than 'great commander'.

And yes exceptions exist, but they are exactly that.
  • Options
    Mr. F, Camillus, Antigonus Monopthalmus, Lysimachus, Seleucus, Enrico Dandolo was over 90 when he led the assault on Constantinople.

Mr. Submarine, I don't mean to be a pest, but could you elaborate further on your earlier comment about Kingdom Asunder not being what you expected. Is that good, or bad? [Entirely open to constructive criticism, of course]. If there's a discrepancy between the blurb or suchlike and the contents, then knowing that will be useful for the future.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:

It won't happen until the early 2020s; however, by that time Brexit will be done and dusted, so it recedes as an issue entirely (likewise immigration, which the Tories will have sorted).

LOL, again.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Do you get paid to spin for George Osborne, or do you just do it for free?
    I'm pointing out that the by election results are not consistent with polls showing the Tories 16% ahead.
    This one is.
    No- this result equates to a Tory lead of 11%.
    consistent with != equates to
  • Options
    Mr. Anorak, the Black Prince was 16 and 26 when he won his great victories.

In the medieval world, old men were generally not much use, or seen as such. There were exceptions, notably William Marshal, who saved England from French invasion when in his late 60s.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

But most of these Labour MPs are in Leave voting constituencies. And the Lib Dems are already targeting the centre-soft right Remain voters, as we see in Richmond.

snip

I doubt the immigration issue will disappear completely, free movement restricted by a job offer, which May is heading for, will not be enough for about 20% of the population who will be UKIP targets. Labour's best bet is for Corbyn to be trounced in 2020 and resign and for someone like Chuka Umunna or Keith Starmer or Dan Jarvis to take over. However May looks set to be PM until about 2025 regardless. She could become the UK's Merkel
    Corbyn needs to not only be trounced but it also needs the membership to wake up and realize that a hard left platform is not going to win in Britain. It is going to be a bloody hard lesson, particularly for the young idealists who have surged to Corbyn, and who have no memory of what utter defeat tastes like.

However, it is possible to see a way out for Labour before 2020. Momentum is busy eating itself. The men in boiler suits from the unions may arrive at Corbyn's door in 2019 and say thanks but the game's up old fellah. The young clickivists may have drifted off to other pastimes.
  • Options

Johnny Cash and Leonard Cohen both produced some of their best work in old age. In art, the same is true of Rembrandt.

Beethoven's Ninth, surely the single finest piece of music ever written, was composed when he was 53, three years before his death.

Bowie's final two albums too (after three decades of stuff best forgotten).
  • Options

Labour MPs should defect to the Lib Dems then effect a hostile take over and shunt out Tim Farron.

Yes. It would work if they could bring a few tens of thousands of members with them then sign up more from scratch. After the Soft Launch they could drop the ' liberal ' from the day to day title and move to Red and Gold colours.
    But then there's no going back. The alternative is to decant themselves into a "Sane Labour" Opposition (they might want a better name, though I think this gets the message across quite well), with a possible view to reuniting once the Reign of Terror[ist Sympathisers] is over.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

So if this SDP2 morphs into a centrist Remain party they might win a couple of seats off..... the Lib Dems and maybe the Scot Nats. And lose dozens of seats in the north and Wales to the residual Corbynite party, or the Tories, or even UKIP.

A new SDP-Remain party simply fractures the centre-Left and Left even further.

Labour MPs are fucked. Unless and until they can remove Corbyn, & install a sensible leader. It won't happen until the early 2020s; however, by that time Brexit will be done and dusted, so it recedes as an issue entirely (likewise immigration, which the Tories will have sorted).

It is possible, in that case, to see a real Labour revival in 2025 - maybe even preventing an overall Tory majority, and a big Labour win in 2030 (after two decades of Tory power)

The crucial and difficult part will be preventing another idiot lefty leader seizing the Labour reins after Corbyn steps down.

I can't see how either of those can defeat a 'true' lefty (heir of JC) under the current voting system. I also can't see how they can change the current voting system with current NEC, or how you stuff enough moderates into the NEC under their current voting system. Or how you ... [it's getting pretty fractal at this point, so I'll stop]

Shafted every which way 'til Sunday.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

There is a difference, though, between achieving success later in life, and actually starting something new, as Richardson did.

John Wheeler, for example, is a good example of a physicist who remained productive throughout his life, but I'm struggling to think of one who first burst on the world over the age of 50.
  • Options

Absolute vote share is not the best measure of "worst". Poor vote shares in Winchester and Romsey were not signs that Labour were in any trouble.

Of those 10, it's a toss-up for me which result is worst out of Eastleigh and Sleaford & North Hykeham, though you could make an argument for Henley too. On balance I think I'd choose Eastleigh as the worst result because there was no particular reason why Labour couldn't have done quite well there if they had constructed a message truly capable of appealing to a one nation Britain.
    But the Labour vote in Eastleigh did rise marginally compared with the 2010 election!
  • Options
    I think the thread is right in two regards. It would be fatal to faff around with another SDP then Alliance then merger. It doesn't work. #1 Enough MP's have to quit Labour to form the Official Opposition. Or else don't bother. #2 Setting up an entirely new party is a waste. In due course the new Opposition black just takes over the shell of the Lib Dem legal entity, structures and assets. You have to shrink the Gang of Four to Merger process from 7 odd years to 7 months. But you can't do it as a third party. You have to have enough MP's to go straight to second party in the Commons status immediately. That bully pulpit is essential.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Come to think of it, a lot of military men have been well into middle age, or even old age, when they pulled off their greatest achievements, eg Fabius Maximus, Caesar, Genghis Khan, Marlborough, Blucher, Wellington, Kutusov.
    Wellington was only in his mid 30s at Assaye, and mid 40s when victorious at Waterloo.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

And the Corbyn supporters in the party membership will still say the result was poor because the party didn't unite behind the leader, was too 'Blairite' -SPIT- and not left-wing enough...
    I would expect the membership to be less receptive to that message than was the case last summer.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Fangio's ago record will never be beaten by an F1 driver, they have to be athletes these days rather than the gentlemen drivers of old. Only M Schumacher made it past 40 still racing, in the last decade or two.
  • Options
    I made the Lord Sumption lookalike ages ago

The latest round-up of the best doppelgangers in law are here. You never see them in the same room together:

http://www.rollonfriday.com/Blogs/ReadBlog/tabid/144/id/37761/Default.aspx
  • Options

Philip Larkin, "Aubade", one of the truly great poems of the 20th century - done when he was 55.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

snip

Corbyn needs to not only be trounced but it also needs the membership to wake up and realize that a hard left platform is not going to win in Britain. It is going to be a bloody hard lesson, particularly for the young idealists who have surged to Corbyn, and who have no memory of what utter defeat tastes like.

However, it is possible to see a way out for Labour before 2020. Momentum is busy eating itself. The men in boiler suits from the unions may arrive at Corbyn's door in 2019 and say thanks but the game's up old fellah. The young clickivists may have drifted off to other pastimes.
    +1

There are quite a few people in my age group, on the left who don't actually rate Corbyn as a leader. But, given that on Twitter (and in real life) you'll be shouted down as a Tory and a Blairite for not agreeing with everything Corbyn says and does, its best to stop debating with these people and leave them to their own devices.
  • Options

But then there's no going back. The alternative is to decant themselves into a "Sane Labour" Opposition (they might want a better name, though I think this gets the message across quite well), with a possible view to reuniting once the Reign of Terror[ist Sympathisers] is over.
    Yes. You rightly raise another question. Do the Labour rebels *really* want to start a new party or are they looking for asylum until they can go back to Labour ? I'm advocating the Byzantium model but they may want exile then return.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

I would expect the membership to be less receptive to that message than was the case last summer.
    Let's hope so - not only for yourself, @SouthamObserver and others of the 'sensible' left, but also for holding the government to account through what will be a tricky few years with lots of key decisions and votes to take place.
  • Options

In the medieval world, old men were generally not much use, or seen as such. There were exceptions, notably William Marshal, who saved England from French invasion when in his late 60s.

I'd argue that part of that was life expectancy. 40 was considered old, and you were given a sword and expected to fight at 14.
  • Options

There are quite a few people in my age group, on the left who don't actually rate Corbyn as a leader. But, given that on Twitter (and in real life) you'll be shouted down as a Tory and a Blairite for not agreeing with everything Corbyn says and does, its best to stop debating with these people and leave them to their own devices.

The centre left, hoist by their own petard. After years of them 'othering' Tories, the piquancy of the same happening to them is too delicious to resist.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,442
    edited December 2016
    As a minor anecdote, and old friend, very of the left, dropped by the other day. He has been a massive Corbyn supporter since the initial surge. We tend to avoid too much discussion, as I am clearly 'am not a fan' to say the least, but we usually have a friendly ten minute debate on his merits or otherwise. My friend was uncharacteristically mute on the subject this time and swiftly moved things on.

Are we seeing the first straws in the wind of the inevitable backlash?

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073
    Re oldies and achievements, my best man's father retired from regular (undistinguished) corporate life in his late 50s, and started an architecture degree. After two years of that he got bored and started up a business bringing e-commerce to shops. He sold that business to a large US tech company, which in turn sold (18 months later) to Oracle. His career, really, didn't happen until his 60s.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Wellington was only in his mid 30s at Assaye, and mid 40s when victorious at Waterloo.
    Napoleon lost Waterloo at the same age. He had quite a bit of success in his 30s though. Blucher, critical to the Allied victory, was into his 70s.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

Let's hope so - not only for yourself, @SouthamObserver and others of the 'sensible' left, but also for holding the government to account through what will be a tricky few years with lots of key decisions and votes to take place.
    The current leader of the Opposition is clearly Kier Starmer. Jezza just does the rallies.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Fangio's ago record will never be beaten by an F1 driver, they have to be athletes these days rather than the gentlemen drivers of old. Only M Schumacher made it past 40 still racing, in the last decade or two.
    Loosely related to the on topic theme, Corbyn would, if successful, be the oldest person ever first appointed British PM. If he's not, then May becomes the oldest person to win their first election since Macmillan. Over the pond, Trump will, next January, become the oldest US president at first inauguration.
  • Options

Are there any recorded instances of someone telling Edward I that he wasn't much use?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

The current leader of the Opposition is clearly Kier Starmer. Jezza just does the rallies.
    Please can they make that official as soon as possible.

*This post has absolutely nothing to do with my £20 at 10/1 on the very capable Mr Starmer becoming the next Labour leader.
  • Options

Goya also, the Black Paintings were done when he was in his 70s. Orwell could be described as (prematurely) aged when he hit his stride.
  • Options

Philip Larkin, "Aubade", one of the truly great poems of the 20th century - done when he was 55.
    Privately published though. Perhaps he knew of its significance, but also knew he had no other material to put it in a book with.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Loving Labours spin - "some people thought we would end up 5th, but we came 4th"

LOLabour

Just wait til the public gets shown the types of people Jeremy hangs out with in an election campaign.

Labour under Corbyn / hard left = Fecked

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Mansell was nearly 40, and absolutely at his peak, when he won his championship. And the cars then were a great deal more physically demanding to drive than is the case today.
    Fangio would, I think, have been a great in any era.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,289

I think the thread is right in two regards. It would be fatal to faff around with another SDP then Alliance then merger. It doesn't work. #1 Enough MP's have to quit Labour to form the Official Opposition. Or else don't bother. #2 Setting up an entirely new party is a waste. In due course the new Opposition black just takes over the shell of the Lib Dem legal entity, structures and assets. You have to shrink the Gang of Four to Merger process from 7 odd years to 7 months. But you can't do it as a third party. You have to have enough MP's to go straight to second party in the Commons status immediately. That bully pulpit is essential.

Seems a lot of "fighting the last war" in this. History doesn't really repeat itself, although sometimes it rhymes. To be honest if Sir Kier Starmer was leader of the Labour Party, then Labour would be 15 points up. So the doomsters talking about irrevocable, irredeemable decline should remember that things could turn on a dime. However, equally as the hard Brexit chickens come home to roost, the Lib Dems do have the virtue of clarity: just as they had with Iraq. In 2010, the voters showed that they could flirt with Clegg, so Labour could indeed be wiped out by an electorate that does not respect Corbynite waffle.
  • Options

As a minor anecdote, and old friend, very of the left, dropped by the other day. He has been a massive Corbyn supporter since the initial surge. We tend to avoid too much discussion, as I am clearly 'am not a fan' to say the least, but we usually have a friendly ten minute debate on his merits or otherwise. My friend was uncharacteristically mute on the subject this time and swiftly moved things on.

I noted those symptoms you describe appeared on Labour List about 6 weeks ago. They are now very noticeable..

But JC had several hundred thousand supporters and I suspect most of them don't really follow politics so JC is still JC to them...
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited December 2016
    Mr Chamberlain,

"People expect Theresa May to implement Brexit."

Exactly, and that's Ukip's fox shot for the time being. She may have been a Remainer, but she appears to be sticking to her word.

Meanwhile, Labour's posh/thicko split is gaping wide open. The Northern MPs get it, but the Jezzarites are still in denial. Labour's hokey-cokey attitude to Brexit breeds confusion. The "Of course we accept the decision of the British people BUT ..." isn't winning many converts.

The shop owner from Muswell Hill upset Polly on Daily Politics. She obviously agreed with his posh, white customers who stormed in to accuse him of racism for naming his shop 'Really British'. When she questioned his political affiliations, he admitted he was once asked to be a LD councillor. Oops!

He seemed a cheerful chap. No wonder with all the free publicity the outrage bus passengers have given him.

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Floater said:

Loving Labours spin - "some people thought we would end up 5th, but we came 4th"

LOLabour

Just wait til the public gets shown the types of people Jeremy hangs out with in an election campaign.

Labour under Corbyn / hard left = Fecked

This morning before heading out to work they were bragging about not having lost their deposit this time (in a seat where they still managed to hold onto 17% of the vote and finished second only a year-and-a-half ago.) I now return home to discover that Labour is down to 25% with YouGov. This, lest we forget, is meant to be the main Opposition to a Government which is in mid-term and facing very serious issues. It's extraordinary.

In short, things going rather well at the moment, and hard to imagine this changing unless Corbyn falls under a bus.
  • Options
    Harry Hayfield has crunched the numbers for YouGov, which throws up this interesting seat which would be a Green gain.

@HarryHayfield: Bristol West @DavidHerdson #Green 27%, #Lab 27%, #LibDem 26%, #Con 17%, #UKIP 3%, #Ind 0%. #Others 0 (#Green majority of 438, swing: 4.76%)
  • Options

Harry Hayfield has crunched the numbers for YouGov, which throws up this interesting seat which would be a Green gain.

@HarryHayfield: Bristol West @DavidHerdson #Green 27%, #Lab 27%, #LibDem 26%, #Con 17%, #UKIP 3%, #Ind 0%. #Others 0 (#Green majority of 438, swing: 4.76%)

Tricky seat for a 'progressive alliance' as Green, Lab and LD are all on the same percentage for practical purposes.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,490

After Richmond the LibDems owe the greens a big favour, and my advice would be to keep an eye on Bristol and Norwich.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Seems a lot of "fighting the last war" in this. History doesn't really repeat itself, although sometimes it rhymes. To be honest if Sir Kier Starmer was leader of the Labour Party, then Labour would be 15 points up. So the doomsters talking about irrevocable, irredeemable decline should remember that things could turn on a dime. However, equally as the hard Brexit chickens come home to roost, the Lib Dems do have the virtue of clarity: just as they had with Iraq. In 2010, the voters showed that they could flirt with Clegg, so Labour could indeed be wiped out by an electorate that does not respect Corbynite waffle.
    It does seem to me that in the particularly febrile current environment, political changes are happening within a shorter timescale than precedent would suggest.

Nevertheless Labour's problem is that they can't get to weighing up the options for 2025 until they have, in their own minds, written off 2020. Engaged in active politics, this is very hard for them to do (cf LibDems in 2012). We can all see where the story is going but they have to remain in professional denial, until and unless events force them differently.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    IanB2 said:

After Richmond the LibDems owe the greens a big favour, and my advice would be to keep an eye on Bristol and Norwich.
    Not sure that Bristol LDs and Greens are soul mates at local level.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Given it's a very technical discipline, I wouldn't worry too much.
    Unfortunately it seems that might not be enough. It's been going on for a long time in Russia.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/athletics/2016/11/29/jessica-ennis-hill-receive-2011-world-championship-gold-tatyana/
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Love one of the responses explaining the result

"also an example of people in England being not very nice"

that's the spirit!

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Mansell was nearly 40, and absolutely at his peak, when he won his championship. And the cars then were a great deal more physically demanding to drive than is the case today.
    Fangio would, I think, have been a great in any era.
    Don't disagree, but the oldies of the past would have found it very difficult to have driven the cars of a decade ago. Next year's cars will thankfully be back to the 6G braking and cornering forces of the early 2000s, along with 1,000bhp all the time - will sort out the men from the boys, and no small part of the reason why Mr Rosberg chose to exit stage left with his head held up high.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

IanB2 said:

The Greens are a busted flush in Norwich South with regard to parliamentary elections.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    The problem Corbyn will have is that he is not even convincing his own base. Regardless of whether you agree with far left politics or not, he is actually just crap. Think about it, what has Corbyn actually said or done that would show actual progress for either the old marxists, the unions, or the millennial corbynista types. He is offering nothing to anyone, and the disillusionment will soon set in. Don't forget that the far left is much more prone to splits and backstabbing than the timid centre left. Corbyn will be undone by his own lot not by Blairites.
  • Options

The centre left, hoist by their own petard. After years of them 'othering' Tories, the piquancy of the same happening to them is too delicious to resist.
    There are lots of working class people who aren't stereotypical lefties, but see the Tories as 'other'. The Tories did it to themselves.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    The only positive for Labour in this by election result is the failure of UKIP to gain traction at all. Coming second is meaningless when the party concerned is losing vote share . Far better to have come third with 20% of the vote than second on 13.5%. Other than the Tories UKIP had more invested in this campaign, and the outcome has been a very damp squib for them. That should give Labour some solace re- defending Northern heartlands.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    dr_spyn said:

IanB2 said:

Yes they seem to hate each other at local level generally. After GE2015 I tweeted something about Greens and LDs needing to work together in future, and got a load of angry tweets back from members of both parties!
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711

I noted those symptoms you describe appeared on Labour List about 6 weeks ago. They are now very noticeable..

But JC had several hundred thousand supporters and I suspect most of them don't really follow politics so JC is still JC to them...
    I don't see any attempt to overthrow JC meeting with success. As you say, he has several hundred thousand supporters and a large number of them will blindly give him their support in any leadership challenge.

On the other hand, if there is some sort of negotiated agreement whereby JC stands down providing he has an assurance that Clive Lewis or someone else he can support, is on the ballot, then there is a way forward. There needs to be a different kind of approach from the PLP. OK, it will probably still result in a lefty being leader, but perhaps a lefty who is less toxic and more acceptable to the GBP
  • Options
    justin124 said:

dr_spyn said:

IanB2 said:

The Greens are a busted flush in Norwich South with regard to parliamentary elections.
    I would've thought that the main role of Green voters in Norwich South is now to defect to Labour and stop Clive Lewis being ejected by the Tories - especially if the next election takes place on schedule and is fought on the revised boundaries.
  • Options
    "Senior Labour MP" David Winnick:

"The sort of bunker mentality that seems to exist at the moment at the highest levels of the party needs to recognise what is happening in the outside world."

He added that he was concerned Jeremy Corbyn and his team were not in touch with the “real world”.

“There are those who don’t seem to grasp that if you have rallies of the faithful, loyalists, activists and the rest of it, that’s fine, but you can lose touch with the real world.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/09/conservatives-hold-sleaford-north-hykeham-by-election/
  • Options
    TonyE said:

It's a by election- the whole vote was down, as it always is. Your attempt to read anything particular into that is rather puzzling.
    He hates May because -- actually, I'm not sure why. It's puzzling.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

snip

The unions would not be enough now, after his renewed membership mandate it needs a general election trouncing for Labour members to realise brand Corbyn is doomed
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938

TonyE said:

It's a by election- the whole vote was down, as it always is. Your attempt to read anything particular into that is rather puzzling.
    He hates May because -- actually, I'm not sure why. It's puzzling.
    I'm hardly a big fan, but that's because she's an authoritarian statist. In that, she's no different to what came before her.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    I love the Hirohito-esque quotation that article starts with.

"Clearly for us, this was not the result we might have hoped for”
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The unions would not be enough now, after his renewed membership mandate it needs a general election trouncing for Labour members to realise brand Corbyn is doomed

This presupposes that the members who back Corbyn are willing to compromise on their principles for the sake of power, and that they don't actually enjoy being a street protest movement. They're just as likely to blame Blairite treachery for defeat and carry on regardless.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    HYUFD said:

it needs a general election trouncing for Labour members to realise brand Corbyn is doomed

Still clinging to the quaint notion that electoral annihilation would convince the faithful to ditch Corbyn
  • Options
    Agree, and despite all the Brexit narrative suggest this is a key extract:

"This is not really about Brexit. The referendum and its aftermath have accelerated changes that were happening anyway: Labour’s long decline since the mid-1990s, the estrangement of its old working-class base, and the fact that it is increasingly a party rooted in big cities."
  • Options

HYUFD said:

This presupposes that the members who back Corbyn are willing to compromise on their principles for the sake of power, and that they don't actually enjoy being a street protest movement. They're just as likely to blame Blairite treachery for defeat and carry on regardless.
    In which case Labour will be dead and the LDs and UKIP will feast on the corpse
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

"The sort of bunker mentality that seems to exist at the moment at the highest levels of the party needs to recognise what is happening in the outside world."

He added that he was concerned Jeremy Corbyn and his team were not in touch with the “real world”.

“There are those who don’t seem to grasp that if you have rallies of the faithful, loyalists, activists and the rest of it, that’s fine, but you can lose touch with the real world.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/09/conservatives-hold-sleaford-north-hykeham-by-election/

Getting in touch with the wider electorate would require those being criticised to be interested in hearing the views of the wider electorate to begin with. One imagines that, on the contrary, they have no interest in leaving the Far Left echo chamber.
  • Options

justin124 said:

dr_spyn said:

IanB2 said:

I would've thought that the main role of Green voters in Norwich South is now to defect to Labour and stop Clive Lewis being ejected by the Tories - especially if the next election takes place on schedule and is fought on the revised boundaries.
    I doubt that. Even on the revised boundaries the Tories would need a 15% lead in 2020 to win the seat. Moreover that fails to take account of a likely first term incumbency bonus for Lewis.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

There is a difference, though, between achieving success later in life, and actually starting something new, as Richardson did.

John Wheeler, for example, is a good example of a physicist who remained productive throughout his life, but I'm struggling to think of one who first burst on the world over the age of 50.
    Jeremy Corbyn?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

snip

Len McLuskey and the Brexit campaign show that the unions are as out of touch as Labour.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

it needs a general election trouncing for Labour members to realise brand Corbyn is doomed

Still clinging to the quaint notion that electoral annihilation would convince the faithful to ditch Corbyn
    See below, if not Labour risks replacement by another party
  • Options
    justin124 said:

The only positive for Labour in this by election result is the failure of UKIP to gain traction at all. Coming second is meaningless when the party concerned is losing vote share . Far better to have come third with 20% of the vote than second on 13.5%. Other than the Tories UKIP had more invested in this campaign, and the outcome has been a very damp squib for them. That should give Labour some solace re- defending Northern heartlands.

I share your scepticism about how high Ukip can push its ceiling of support, but we stand to be proven wrong by events. The SNP were a loud yet marginal force for decades, until circumstances changed. Then they weren't marginal anymore.

It should also be added that both Ukip and the Lib Dems only need to erode Labour's vote more than that of the Tories to allow the latter to start winning more Con/Lab marginal seats. Of course, if Nuttall can do better than that, turn his party into a vehicle for English nationalism and knock out a couple of dozen Labour MPs in the North, then Labour is probably finished as a leading party of Government.
  • Options
    Jezza continues to make friends with the Jewish community

http://order-order.com/2016/12/09/251413/
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited December 2016
    There was the Shadow Health Sec on TWAO being asked if Labour was "dans le merde" after coming fourth.. All he could do was go on about the NHS.. Its their only real card and even that doesn't play.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Getting in touch with the wider electorate would require those being criticised to be interested in hearing the views of the wider electorate to begin with. One imagines that, on the contrary, they have no interest in leaving the Far Left echo chamber.
    It would also demand they address - Harris's main challenge in the Guardian - which section of the wider electorate they want to get in touch with.

Currently they are naively trying to cling to a majoritarian mindset with their line, paraphrasing, "The Tories/UKIP speak for the leavers, the LibDems for the remainers, we want to speak for everyone". Only a few letters need changing in the last word of that position to get to the truth of the matter.
  • Options

justin124 said:

I share your scepticism about how high Ukip can push its ceiling of support, but we stand to be proven wrong by events. The SNP were a loud yet marginal force for decades, until circumstances changed. Then they weren't marginal anymore.

It should also be added that both Ukip and the Lib Dems only need to erode Labour's vote more than that of the Tories to allow the latter to start winning more Con/Lab marginal seats. Of course, if Nuttall can do better than that, turn his party into a vehicle for English nationalism and knock out a couple of dozen Labour MPs in the North, then Labour is probably finished as a leading party of Government.
    I don't believe the omens for Nutall are good if this is the best that UKIP can do under what should be optimum circumstances for them.
  • Options
    At the end of the day if Labour is not prepared to act to save itself it does not deserve to be entrusted with power.
  • Options

There are lots of working class people who aren't stereotypical lefties, but see the Tories as 'other'. The Tories did it to themselves.
    Just so.
    The idea that sturdy, working folk have been browbeaten and propagandised by lefties into despising the Tories seems somewhat against the current zeitgeist that these folk shouldn't be patronised and underestimated. Of course, this new found consideration for the lower orders will be discarded toot sweet at the drop of a hat by the current crop of carpetbaggers.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

There was the Shadow Health Sec on TWAO being asked if Labour was "dans le merde" after coming fourth.. All he could do was go on about the NHS.. Its their only real card and even that doesn't play.

Jon Ashworth. MP for Leicester South,and a useless apparatchik. I therefore tip him for next leader
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Just so.
    The idea that sturdy, working folk have been browbeaten and propagandised by lefties into despising the Tories seems somewhat against the current zeitgeist that these folk shouldn't be patronised and underestimated. Of course, this new found consideration for the lower orders will be discarded toot sweet at the drop of a hat by the current crop of carpetbaggers.
    I don't get the impression they feel they've been browbeaten and propagandised but ignored altogether. Which may be worse. You don't bother browbeating people you don't care about.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    What Labour haven't grasped yet is that the next election will be a post Brexit election, post leaving the SM, post the end of FoM. They need to have a position on immigration. Every party will be free to say "we want x number of immigrants". The Tories will, the LibDems will, the SNP will. What is Labour's position going to be? I would suggest Corbyn's preference of a completely open door isn't going to be a vote winner.
  • Options
    F1: No action against Hamilton:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38265635

Anyway, I'm off for a bit.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

F1: No action against Hamilton:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38265635

Anyway, I'm off for a bit.

Was never going to happen after Rosberg left.
This discussion has been closed.