Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris can’t go on being overruled by Number 10 and remain as F

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Blimey, just heard Andy Burnham - is he joining UKIP :D ?
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    MP_SE said:

Goupillon said:

A result at Sleaford is expected around 4am tomorrow. A LD anecdotal report has said the eventual turnout looks like it could be 40% or even lower.

I would guess turnout will be around 45-50%.
    I thought less than 40%. Christmas and only one winner keepign people at home
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Scott_P said:
    Guy Verhofstadt should not be near the negotiating table.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Scott_P said:
    That seems an attractive notion, but I'm sure there will be downsides for the UK as a whole. Why else would the EU be considering it part of their negotiation?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Speedy said:

Scott_P said:
    I don't think the UK gets to choose.
  • Options
    glw said:

What's wrong with being candid regarding the Saudi regime?

Not a lot, the Saudi regime is despicable and we should speak the truth about it.
    For some "weird" reasons the Foreign Secretary can say that, but not the PM.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:
    I don't think the UK gets to choose.
    The EU should choose negotiators though for a negotiation.

If they choose Verhofstadt, who is only the liberal leader of the EU parliament, we should choose Farage on our side.

That will keep them both busy with each other, while the others do the actual negotiating.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,804
    French 2017 President market on BF is fascinating. I can't see a path for Macron or Valls, but apparently others can.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

French 2017 President market on BF is fascinating. I can't see a path for Macron or Valls, but apparently others can.

There is none for Macron or Valls, they are associated with a complete failure of a government.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    If you wish to keep an ally you do not criticise in public, however obvious the truth. BoJo is a loose cannon. He is either being careless or is trying to plough his own furrow (to impress Trump?)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994
    Scott_P said:
    Surely that ball is entirely in the EU's court. If they want to give British citizens special treatment, that's up to them?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited December 2016
    AnneJGP said:

Scott_P said:
    That seems an attractive notion, but I'm sure there will be downsides for the UK as a whole. Why else would the EU be considering it part of their negotiation?
    It really is a peculiar suggestion, unless it comes as a pre-cursor to the EU finally harmonising it's immigration and asylum policy.

As it stands, every single country in the EU can grant as many Britons EU citizenship as it likes, can't they?

Cash for passports was all the rage in the Med with wealthy Russians.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405
    Bloody hell I had no idea about Mark Serwotka.

Well done him.

Associate membership you mean like no commitment to ever closer union, no membership of the euro, no liability for eurozone banking failures, that kind of associate membership?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Blimey, just heard Andy Burnham - is he joining UKIP :D ?

Is he saying anything that could lose him his Mayoral bid? He would give Zac a decent run in the least-good-at-getting-elected stakes.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Well done him.

Associate membership you mean like no commitment to ever closer union, no membership of the euro, no liability for eurozone banking failures, that kind of associate membership?

No, they aren't talking about associate membership for the UK.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Omnium said:

There is none for Macron or Valls, they are associated with a complete failure of a government.
    I agree - look at BF though.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:
    Will it be free ? How much does will a passport cost ? Let's see their detailed plan ..
  • Options
    perdix said:

If you wish to keep an ally you do not criticise in public, however obvious the truth. BoJo is a loose cannon. He is either being careless or is trying to plough his own furrow (to impress Trump?)

There are Allies and then there are "Allies".
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    Will it be free ? How much does will a passport cost ? Let's see their detailed plan ..
    Find it hard to believe the UK government would permit another government to issue passports for it's citizens. Unless they are issuing EU citizen passports, which is probably their long term goal.
  • Options

The ulitimate, unspinable gaffe from Boris.

He spoke the truth.

I've had the feeling Boris wants out of politics since June 30th

Brexit is a shambles and he needs to get out of the car before he reaches the cliff.

Can you quote any examples ? As a hint - a bunch of luvvies wasting their money on lawyers hasn't impacted many peoples live outside of Islington.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    It'll be 3 pound associate membership, and each of these new associate members will have a vote in much the same way Germany does now.
  • Options
    McDonalds are moving their tax base to UK as EU attacks Burger Giant

Bet that doesn't feature on Sky or the BBC
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Well done him.

If Individual Associate Membership entails taking on liability for eurozone banking failures, how is that going to work? Your home is at risk if the eurozone banks crash?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Boris is a leader and May is a follower.

They should exchange jobs.

I think that's a clever bit of analysis you've got there.
    I cannot for the life of me understand why Theresa May wanted to be PM other than to showcase some nice clothes, and show at 60 she can still be quite stylish.

She has not shown anything at all since to warrant why she put herself forward, not one single thing. If the Tory party leadership contest had been remotely normal....she would not have won because she hasn't got any vision, she doesn't inspire, she lacks charisma and leadership.

She doesn't galvnisise any reaction from me...there is nothing to dislike....there again there is nothing to like.

May is the best the Tories have. Just look at that list in Mike's lead-in piece. That's how bad it is!

Osborne was the best...but he is as welcome in the Tory party as it stands now as Blair is to Labour.
    Dear Dear, Osborne was useless.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    Find it hard to believe the UK government would permit another government to issue passports for it's citizens. Unless they are issuing EU citizen passports, which is probably their long term goal.
    You can have dual citizenship I'm sure for €100 a year. The queues will be round the block.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    It'll be 3 pound associate membership, and each of these new associate members will have a vote in much the same way Germany does now.
    But just think you will be able to put on your twitter profile "Citizen of the EU i.e. not a racist"

• Options
    TGOHF said:

RobD said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    You can have dual citizenship I'm sure for €100 a year. The queues will be round the block.
    Citizenship of what? Another member state, or the EU itself?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited December 2016

What a stupid comment and wrong.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38252802

I really get pissed off with comment like that based on ZERO research.

• Options

The ulitimate, unspinable gaffe from Boris.

He spoke the truth.

I've had the feeling Boris wants out of politics since June 30th

He is trying to get sacked for being in the right, as it is only a matter of time before he is sacked for being in the wrong, and that is a much harder place to rebuild from.

Brexit is a shambles and he needs to get out of the car before he reaches the cliff.

Not seeing any sign of that shambles at the moment. In fact it all seems to be going very well at the moment. Of course the blind Eurofanatics like yourself wouldn't agree but then you have prejudged it all and don't care about reality.
    No, I am favouring a Hard Brexit, before rebuilding our links from ground up afterwards. It is the way to get consent from the electorate for any "softer" elements that reduce our sovereignty.

I do have some knowledge of what is going on in the world of the Department of Brexit, some open source and some not. It is a shambles, a red white snd blue shambles, where we hope to muddle through.
    With those three dummies in charge you don't need any knowledge inside or not to realise it will be a disaster of epic proportions. Bit like asking you to operate with a baseball bat.
  • Options

What a stupid comment.

Why
  • Options
    RobD said:

TGOHF said:

RobD said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    Citizenship of what? Another member state, or the EU itself?
    We don't know - appears these MEP's just don't have a plan for Brexit.
  • Options

What a stupid comment.

It'll at least come with the words "despite Brexit" :D
  • Options
    Good news, California has only 140 thousand ballots left to count.
    They should finish by Monday, which is the last day to certify the results before the Electoral College votes.

It only took them 1 month and a few days to count the ballots.

Hillary has banked 1 million votes extra from Obama in California, which is 36% of her national popular vote lead.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Surely that ball is entirely in the EU's court. If they want to give British citizens special treatment, that's up to them?
    This is what I thought when this was mooted a few weeks ago. If the EU want to give stuff to individual Brits that is their affair entirely. As long as it doesn't demand any form of reciprocity I see no reason why it should bother us one way or another.
  • Options
    perdix said:

Ally my butt , they are just wanting to keep the cash flowing in , no principles and no morals , true Tories. They are fine with civilians being murdered willy nilly as long as the tills keep ringing.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Having some stag-do politics at the moment, a good friend of mine is getting married, but he has two distinct groups of friends. His friends from school and us, his friends from university, both groups are about the same size and broadly around the same age. His best friend from school has organised it as the best man, but it is utterly shit and now no one in our group wants to go. What's the PB consensus on how to proceed? Bearing in mind we approached the best man and told him his plans are shit and the groom is going to hate the weekend as it's two nights of clubbing (he hates clubbing), an assault course (not someone who exercises) and they haven't managed to arrange transport to Bath, where we are supposed to be going (every man for himself). It is also coming in at £200 plus transport, food and drinks on the two nights.

I explained to the best man that I went to a stag last summer which was basically a weekend of country pursuits, drinking, we had a bit of debauchery and we stayed in a really nice country pile for two nights and that came to £250 per person all in, the only thing we had to pay for were drinks at the local pub after we came back from shooting.

Anyway, bit of a quandary, PB usually comes good!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    This is what I thought when this was mooted a few weeks ago. If the EU want to give stuff to individual Brits that is their affair entirely. As long as it doesn't demand any form of reciprocity I see no reason why it should bother us one way or another.
    Isn't it a well known pre-annexation tactic to hand out passports? Your side should be vigilant. ;)
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited December 2016

The Independent has picked the story up.

"McDonald’s moves international base to UK after run-in with EU tax regulators

Move away from Luxembourg appears politically motivated, but McDonald's says the choice of Britain as the destination is a post-Brexit vote of confidence"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/mcdonald-s-moves-non-us-base-to-uk-after-run-in-with-eu-tax-regulators-a7464106.html
  • Options

Ok so he lost that bet, making bets on a betting website is not stupid, it is to be expected.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

MP_SE said:

Unfortunately for them Article 50 will be triggered as soon as possible

And when will it be possible?
    Didn't the House of Commons vote on that last night?
    Its happening alright, but I think it is now right that some constitutional law is now developed by the Supreme Court.
    Why?

What is the next (or last) comparable situation?

• Options
    philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

MP_SE said:

Its happening alright, but I think it is now right that some constitutional law is now developed by the Supreme Court.
    Why?

I don't think a "non binding" referendum of such significance has ever taken place before. A dry technical reading of the law points to Miller, whereas one could read "justice" favours the government (Parliament did after all vote through the referendum act)

It's a constitutional matter of where power lies between parliament and the government of enormous proportions.
  • Options

Do you still want LEAVE voters to die?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Having some stag-do politics at the moment, a good friend of mine is getting married, but he has two distinct groups of friends. His friends from school and us, his friends from university, both groups are about the same size and broadly around the same age. His best friend from school has organised it as the best man, but it is utterly shit and now no one in our group wants to go. What's the PB consensus on how to proceed? Bearing in mind we approached the best man and told him his plans are shit and the groom is going to hate the weekend as it's two nights of clubbing (he hates clubbing), an assault course (not someone who exercises) and they haven't managed to arrange transport to Bath, where we are supposed to be going (every man for himself). It is also coming in at £200 plus transport, food and drinks on the two nights.

I explained to the best man that I went to a stag last summer which was basically a weekend of country pursuits, drinking, we had a bit of debauchery and we stayed in a really nice country pile for two nights and that came to £250 per person all in, the only thing we had to pay for were drinks at the local pub after we came back from shooting.

Personally I'd just go and not worry about what anyone else is doing. You're not best man or the groom so don't stress the organisation :)
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: 'Boris Johnson has used up all of his lives' says one senior MP

Whenever someone is referred to as a "senior MP" you have to wonder if his own mother would recognise him in the street.
    Or there is no "senior MP".
    Mark Senior MP?
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    That's why I was wondering what form it would take as part of the EU's negotiating stance.

"The EU is prepared to offer this if the UK will ... "

"If the UK isn't prepared to ..... the EU will do this".
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Omnium said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    But just think you will be able to put on your twitter profile "Citizen of the EU i.e. not a racist"

Steady on. I fear that the EU may be in the same boat as the rest of us with regards to racism.

Not everyone has a Twitter profile you know.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Declining Life expectancy was a bell ringing about the coming collapse of the USSR:
    https://twitter.com/FrankLuntz/status/806921470400196608
    No wonder americans are so desperate for change they voted Trump.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Personally I'd just go and not worry about what anyone else is doing. You're not best man or the groom so don't stress the organisation :)
    Agree with that - as it is, actually being a best man is a pain in the neck. Enjoy the fact you've been spared that imposition and just go along for the drinks.
  • Options

Do you still want LEAVE voters to die?
    And i didn't vote leave, I voted remain but now want the divorce to happen quickly.

Being retired I have listened to a lot of the Supreme Court case and Sky's so EU biased coverage.

I believe Sky and the BBC both need to inject more balance into their coverage of EU matters
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

I agree with above.
    And it sound as if the groom will need some friendly support to get through the unaccustomed activities. Stag weekends are about the groom, so do what he would appreciate most.

One other bit of advice, don't stay at home and hit on the bride to be. Never goes down well....
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited December 2016
    MaxPB said:

Get really really drunk each evening which should ensure you have a somewhat decent night. By being hungover both days (or at least pretending you are) you can excuse yourself from the assault course crap and instead spend the afternoon in a restaurant.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

The thing is we were up for it until the moment he said that there's no transport to Bath and it's every man for himself to get there and back. Money isn't an issue for me, but there are guys in the group who have kids and mortgages and the sort of £300 per person for the stag, plus £80-100 for the hotel room at the wedding, plus the wedding gift all gets a bit much, plus I'm personally going to have to fly back from Zurich for this shit. We want to find a way of either changing his plans or bail out and not piss off the groom for having two events, which is something he's said he really doesn't want. We also know he would never, ever be up for anything that's been planned, one of my friends posted the itinerary when it went up last night and was absolutely scathing because it feels like we know him better than his school friends who have known him for longer.

If the uni group aren't going, there's no way I'll have fun with his school friends. Too much coke, too much bullshit and inevitably a night out with them has ended with one of them getting lamped because of the coke.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

I agree with above.
    And it sound as if the groom will need some friendly support to get through the unaccustomed activities. Stag weekends are about the groom, so do what he would appreciate most.

One other but of advice, don't stay at home and hit on the bride to be. Never goes down well....
    Assuming you're male then the best advice is to avoid stag parties, especially if you're the groom. (I'm almost certain that applies in spades if you're female).

However if you're male and can get invited to a hen party then I highly recommend it.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

I agree with above.

One other bit of advice, don't stay at home and hit on the bride to be. Never goes down well....
    I think my other half might kill me before the groom gets a chance! The issue is we want to do what he would appreciate most which is a relaxed evening or two on a bar crawl, good food, good company and maybe a strip club later on. We know this because he told us on the weekend when he asked what was planned and hoped that this was what was being planned.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    edited December 2016
    MaxPB said:

Money isn't an issue for me, but there are guys in the group who have kids and mortgages and the sort of £300 per person for the stag, plus £80-100 for the hotel room at the wedding, plus the wedding gift all gets a bit much,

It reads like an allegory for Brexit. :)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

The thing is we were up for it until the moment he said that there's no transport to Bath and it's every man for himself to get there and back.
    Arrange a minibus with a minibar, or a group booking on a train from London - which is really cheap if off peak and booked well in advance. As to the activities themselves, I guess you can discuss with the best man and try and arrange some sort of compromise such as a restaurant one night and a club the other. A no-drugs rule also doesn't seem unreasonable, if the groom isn't wanting to get involved with them.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

I agree with above.

I think my other half might kill me before the groom gets a chance! The issue is we want to do what he would appreciate most which is a relaxed evening or two on a bar crawl, good food, good company and maybe a strip club later on. We know this because he told us on the weekend when he asked what was planned and hoped that this was what was being planned.
    Tell the groom he needs to put his back out and be off physical activities like assult courses and clubbing

Get the best man to arrange a mini bus to bath and back.

Take care not to become a victim of your other half!
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    malcolmg said:

perdix said:

Ally my butt , they are just wanting to keep the cash flowing in , no principles and no morals , true Tories. They are fine with civilians being murdered willy nilly as long as the tills keep ringing.
    Much like the SNP and their attempted relationship with China then.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950
    Ha, Guido paid his US election bet to Farage, and the UKIP MEP Paid for lunch!

http://order-order.com/2016/12/08/expensive-lunch-farage/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058
    Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

MP_SE said:

Why?

It's a constitutional matter of where power lies between parliament and the government of enormous proportions.
    Indeed. And since the government can quite easily ensure the Referendum result is respected by a different process (if there were any doubt, the anger that will erupt should the justices rule against the government on this due to it being portrayed as something other than it is, will ensure that they will be able to get through whatever it wants), it's not only not a threat to Brexit should the government be wrong, it is to everyone's benefit to have the question answered.

We may even hear someone in government say it, ten paragraphs into a spiel about unelected judges overriding the people (the government lawyer's have, naturally, been much more reasonable about what is or what is not being discussed).
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

A stag do to Bath...I might be missing something, but not exactly known for its crazy wild nightlife is it?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,921
    MaxPB said:

Tough one... perhaps you can organize some transport to Bath/talk it up to the university group to make sure you're not too outnumbered?

I've been on a couple of disastrous stag dos, kinda wished someone had said something.
    Sounds like you have though and the best man is determined to do what he wants.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

MP_SE said:

Why?

I don't think a "non binding" referendum of such significance has ever taken place before. A dry technical reading of the law points to Miller, whereas one could read "justice" favours the government (Parliament did after all vote through the referendum act)

So how have as survived so long without answering this vital question?

We haven't even asked the question before although some would have us believe it should be omnipresent in our daily thoughts.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sounds as though they're trying to ensure he gets hospitalised rather than married.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,921
    Tell you what... this pope knows things I would never have guessed!
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/article119490013.html
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

The thing is we were up for it until the moment he said that there's no transport to Bath and it's every man for himself to get there and back. Money isn't an issue for me, but there are guys in the group who have kids and mortgages and the sort of £300 per person for the stag, plus £80-100 for the hotel room at the wedding, plus the wedding gift all gets a bit much, plus I'm personally going to have to fly back from Zurich for this shit. We want to find a way of either changing his plans or bail out and not piss off the groom for having two events, which is something he's said he really doesn't want. We also know he would never, ever be up for anything that's been planned, one of my friends posted the itinerary when it went up last night and was absolutely scathing because it feels like we know him better than his school friends who have known him for longer.

If the uni group aren't going, there's no way I'll have fun with his school friends. Too much coke, too much bullshit and inevitably a night out with them has ended with one of them getting lamped because of the coke.
    A cynic would suspect that the best man is organising something for himself to enjoy rather than the supposed beneficiary.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    rkrkrk said:

Is it anything to do with bears and forests?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,019
    rkrkrk said:

He's probably heard a lot of confessions!
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

He's probably heard a lot of confessions!
    Looks like Paul Nuttall next to him. How did he get in with the Pope?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited December 2016

MaxPB said:

A cynic would suspect that the best man is organising something for himself to enjoy rather than the supposed beneficiary.
    You could organize transport and lodging for your uni friends, given that that is supposed to be everyman for himself. That way, if all else goes haywire, you, your uni friends and the groom can all retreat to your hotel's bar for the quiet food and drinking. i.e. an in your pocket Plan B rather than an outright challenge to the best man's plan.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

MP_SE said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: 'Boris Johnson has used up all of his lives' says one senior MP

Whenever someone is referred to as a "senior MP" you have to wonder if his own mother would recognise him in the street.
    Or there is no "senior MP".
    Mark Senior MP?
    He's way too busy commenting on parish elections to be an MP - or words to that effect :)
  • Options

MaxPB said:

A stag do to Bath...I might be missing something, but not exactly known for its crazy wild nightlife is it?
    For the club nights he has organised a coach to Bristol from Bath. But he can't organise a coach from London where all of us live. As was suggested just now, it seems like he's organising a weekend he'll enjoy rather than one the groom will enjoy.

He's just bitched to one of our group that we don't know and the groom's going to love it etc...
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Speedy said:

Declining Life expectancy was a bell ringing about the coming collapse of the USSR:

fat bastards.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    I am sure my memory is letting me down again but was it not only yesterday I read several remainers lamenting how sad it was that we were leaving the wonders of the single market and having to grub around with middle eastern despots. Today our FS makes some accurate comments and all of a sudden it is a disaster. Or something.

It's almost as if they have a different agenda.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    DavidL said:

I am sure my memory is letting me down again but was it not only yesterday I read several remainers lamenting how sad it was that we were leaving the wonders of the single market and having to grub around with middle eastern despots. Today our FS makes some accurate comments and all of a sudden it is a disaster. Or something.

It's almost as if they have a different agenda.

Boris is quite right with his criticism of the Saudis, indeed too soft IMO. It is the PMs response that I deplore.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Speedy said:

fat bastards.
    How dare he(sarcastically) :
    https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/806923716898811904
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    If you wanted to know what Robert the bruce looked like.

Robert the Bruce reconstruted face 700 years after his death.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/science/amazing-first-ever-look-robert-9418244

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-38242781
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237
    MaxPB said:

Both options sound hideous. You should be spending a weekend in Barcelona, or Madrid.

In truth, we had a stag do with a friend who had two distinct groups of friends. We all went to Barcelona for three nights and did our own thing; the groom divided his time between us. It worked really well.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Isn't it a well known pre-annexation tactic to hand out passports? Your side should be vigilant. ;)
    So THATS why they wanted an e.u army.
  • Options
    Will everyone that is a likeable public character die this year?
    https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/806956507816300544
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Both options sound hideous. You should be spending a weekend in Barcelona, or Madrid.

In truth, we had a stag do with a friend who had two distinct groups of friends. We all went to Barcelona for three nights and did our own thing; the groom divided his time between us. It worked really well.
    Chaps, you live on a different planet. What you're discussing as a 'stag do' would cover a family holliday easily.

In my world a stag/hen do is a night out at a pub - or maybe a lunch.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

Tough one... perhaps you can organize some transport to Bath/talk it up to the university group to make sure you're not too outnumbered?

I've been on a couple of disastrous stag dos, kinda wished someone had said something.
    Stag do's are rarely enjoyable, indeed the main function of all the forced pace debauchery and unfunny practical jokes is to make married life look good.

A decent meal with good company, followed by a night in the bar telling stories, a decent hotel and a substantial cooked breakfast. Some form of outdoor activity to blow away the cobwebs then head home.

There is too much competitive activity between levels of consumption for stag dos, and for brides at tbe wedding itself. What makes it a fond memory is the people not the excess.

The best stag do I have been to was a braai up a mountain in Africa, and the best wedding reception in the garden of the brides parents (different occasion), with all the guests camping in the garden too.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    edited December 2016

This is on Boris, surely? However much most of us might agree with his underlying points.

The more general point about Saudi is that people should be careful what they wish for when they condemn the [very condemnable] regime.

Yes. But as someone who's gone along with governments supporting dodgy allies in the past, I've come to feel it's often not really in our long-term interest. Perhaps Boris's indiscretion reflects what should be our policy, given that the Saudis don't seem to respond to behind-the-scenes pressure. If the current regime is eventually overthrown, might we not find that decades of unquestioning public support had got us into sticky territory?

Corbyn raised the issue of Saudi behaviour at PMQs last year - at that time, the general feeling was that it was an odd distraction from mainstream issues - and Labour put forward a motion a few months ago on similar lines to what Boris has now said (the Government voted it down).
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    Nick Ferrari on good form on The Pledge tonight.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

Stag do's are rarely enjoyable, indeed the main function of all the forced pace debauchery and unfunny practical jokes is to make married life look good.

A decent meal with good company, followed by a night in the bar telling stories, a decent hotel and a substantial cooked breakfast. Some form of outdoor activity to blow away the cobwebs then head home.

There is too much competitive activity between levels of consumption for stag dos, and for brides at tbe wedding itself. What makes it a fond memory is the people not the excess.

The best stag do I have been to was a braai up a mountain in Africa, and the best wedding reception in the garden of the brides parents (different occasion), with all the guests camping in the garden too.
    Yeah the stag I went to last summer which was good food and good company with and afternoon of country pursuits. It was a really great time, the best stag I've been to for sure.
  • Options

This is on Boris, surely? However much most of us might agree with his underlying points.

The more general point about Saudi is that people should be careful what they wish for when they condemn the [very condemnable] regime.

Yes. But as someone who's gone along with governments supporting dodgy allies in the past, I've come to feel it's often not really in our long-term interest. Perhaps Boris's indiscretion reflects what should be our policy, given that the Saudis don't seem to respond to behind-the-scenes pressure. If the current regime is eventually overthrown, might we not find that decades of unquestioning public support had got us into sticky territory?

Corbyn raised the issue of Saudi behaviour at PMQs last year - at that time, the general feeling was that it was an odd distraction from mainstream issues - and Labour put forward a motion a few months ago on similar lines to what Boris has now said (the Government voted it down).
    So are you supporting Boris in this?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,896
    Evening all :)

ON topic and it's hard to argue with Boris Johnson's comments in all honesty. Interesting to hear positive developments on Cyprus but look at the disaster that has befallen Yemen which gets almost no coverage in the UK media.

The intriguing part of Boris's comments was the argument of the inability to build non-sectarian national identities in the Middle East. To be fair, Europe struggled with this as have the British in Ulster.

Yet how do you assert a national identity to transcend the religious identity ? As Boris says, "visionary leadership".
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Having

I thought I would contribute because I recently had a similar situation. We saw that the stag do was poorly organised by the grooms school friends and looking potentially bad so we just went for one day and night only. Ended up forking out £150 plus for the pleasure of crashing on the floor of an airbnb party house in brighton for one night, plus the cost of an overpriced indian and as for the night out, the group was too big to be let in anywhere (nothing had really been planned of course), so we all ended up splitting up and it was just a mediocre night out really and a bit awkward all in all. I think the whole thing cost me about £300. I'm glad that I went along to show my face as I couldn't get to the wedding, but it was a waste of money and a slightly bad experience all in all. To be honest unless its a really close friend I wouldn't think twice about bailing out if I was in your position if you are also going to the wedding, no point losing time and money over something badly organised.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Will everyone that is a likeable public character die this year?
    https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/806956507816300544

Has Tony Blair died too :( ?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058
    edited December 2016
    stodge said:

ON topic and it's hard to argue with Boris Johnson's comments in all honesty. .

Impossible I'd have thought, but of course pretending is a key part of diplomacy. Though in fairness it's not like this was in the middle of a speech at the UN or something.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

Having some stag-do politics at the moment, a good friend of mine is getting married, but he has two distinct

Yeah the stag I went to last summer which was good food and good company with and afternoon of country pursuits. It was a really great time, the best stag I've been to for sure.
    The key, I suppose, is for the groom to pick a best man who understands his future not his past. I am back in contact with my best man after 15 years of no contact (we got back together at the funeral of another of our circle of friends). The problem was that the only thing we ever had in common was drinking and going on the pull, so when I married we had little left to talk about. He is married himself now, so back on bantering terms.

We had a pretty reasonable stag night, a pub crawl, West End nightclub and wound up in Marylebone police station, as witnesses to a serious assault. It is the last bit that provides the tales,, we were perhaps a little too helpful to the girls in blue...
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited December 2016
    Grim reaper still on full throttle I see with John Glen RIP
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    edited December 2016
    Glad to see Boris is catching up with the Tory Wahabi-extremist problem I so extensively outlined last year. As for those who say be careful what you wish for, I give the same answer as before - the oil is in moderate shia areas - split that off - mecca & medina are in the moderate sunni hejaz - split those off - let the wahabi nutcases of the interior run their own medieval hellhole with zero influence on the rest of the world, just as they did for the century before their bloodthirsty conquest of the peninsula with UK assistance in the early twentieth century.

Of course a bunch of wealthy powerful people here have a very lucrative symbiotic relationship with the poisonous Saud clan, so they aren't keen on this outcome, no matter how much better it would be for humanity.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MaxPB said:

rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

Mine was great - wake boarding in Surrey followed by an afternoon at the Holland & Holland shooting ground & then dinner at Berry Bros.
  • Options
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,500
    edited December 2016
    kle4 said:

stodge said:

ON topic and it's hard to argue with Boris Johnson's comments in all honesty. .

Impossible I'd have thought, but of course pretending is a key part of diplomacy. Though in fairness it's not like this was in the middle of a speech at the UN or something.
    Yeah, I suspect we all agree with Boris. But diplomatic expectations are that home truths are spoken in private. I doubt Boris has the political capital right now to change centuries of diplomatic protocol.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    IanB2 said:

Yeah, I suspect we all agree with Boris. But diplomatic expectations are that home truths are spoken in private. I doubt Boris has the political capital right now to change centuries of diplomatic protocol.

That argument would have more weight if the private discussions were producing results, but they don't seem to have worked to much effect. We seem more concerned with kissing Saudi arses so that we can keep flogging them weapons.
  • Options
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

Mine was great - wake boarding in Surrey followed by an afternoon at the Holland & Holland shooting ground & then dinner at Berry Bros.

Is that the one near Pinner or Northwood?
  • Options
    Certainly a step up from the usual set of numpties they have on.
This discussion has been closed.