Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris can’t go on being overruled by Number 10 and remain as F

13»

Comments

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

Evening all :)

ON topic and it's hard to argue with Boris Johnson's comments in all honesty. .

Impossible I'd have thought, but of course pretending is a key part of diplomacy. Though in fairness it's not like this was in the middle of a speech at the UN or something.
    Yeah, I suspect we all agree with Boris. But diplomatic expectations are that home truths are spoken in private. I doubt Boris has the political capital right now to change centuries of diplomatic protocol.

So only fools like Boris can speak the truth. No one else will.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    philiph said:

Charles said:

Mine was great - wake boarding in Surrey followed by an afternoon at the Holland & Holland shooting ground & then dinner at Berry Bros.

Is that the one near Pinner or Northwood?
    Not sure where Pinner is :)

On the road to Oxford just inside the M25 so assuming Northwood. I slightly prefer WLSS to be honest but H&H is ok
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    edited December 2016

Certainly a step up from the usual set of numpties they have on.
    Don't be ridiculous. There are at least 4 arguably right wingers on that panel. It's a fake. No way the BBC would tolerate that.

And I bet none of them read the Guardian.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

Impossible I'd have thought, but of course pretending is a key part of diplomacy. Though in fairness it's not like this was in the middle of a speech at the UN or something.
    Yeah, I suspect we all agree with Boris. But diplomatic expectations are that home truths are spoken in private. I doubt Boris has the political capital right now to change centuries of diplomatic protocol.

What court jesters are for.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

May has played a game whereby boris is forced to do a serious job that exposes how shallow and fake his persona ultimately is. Thereby neutralising him as a threat (although arguably after his disastorous leadership campaign he is no longer a threat in any case), but this strategy is not without its risks.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    DavidL said:

I am sure my memory is letting me down again but was it not only yesterday I read several remainers lamenting how sad it was that we were leaving the wonders of the single market and having to grub around with middle eastern despots. Today our FS makes some accurate comments and all of a sudden it is a disaster. Or something.

It's almost as if they have a different agenda.

Ditto with Fox above.

The more Boris reveals his true thoughts to me...socially liberal, pro EU, pro free movement, anti hideous regimes...the more I like him.

Why cannot Boris run on a platform of what he really believes? He's alot better than anyone else at the minute.

Instead we are left with Theresa May who would make a dandy job of sorting out your post, but doesn't seem capable of operating at any levels higher...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited December 2016
    DavidL said:

Don't be ridiculous. There are at least 4 arguably right wingers on that panel. It's a fake. No way the BBC would tolerate that.

Lord vodermot must do, otherwise would never got the job as an educational leader!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Charles said:

Mine was great - wake boarding in Surrey followed by an afternoon at the Holland & Holland shooting ground & then dinner at Berry Bros.

This wasn't as fancy as that, but still a good time. First time shooting for a couple of the group as well and they really enjoyed it. Clay pigeons for advanced shooters and targets for everyone one else. The instructor was amazing as well, we went out in Hertfordshire somewhere.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    That Death Star crowd though - they are one tough gig....
  • Options
    Charles said:

philiph said:

Charles said:

On the road to Oxford just inside the M25 so assuming Northwood. I slightly prefer WLSS to be honest but H&H is ok
    I hope you didn't have to murder any animals and were just shooting at clay bits of pottery
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Charles said:

philiph said:

Charles said:

Not been to WLSS. Northwood, Pinner, Harrow, I used to get lost in all of them before satnav, but they are close to each other.

I went to a charity event at H&H years ago - the main auction lot went for 250k - out of my league but the shooting was good.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,489

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

Boris as the government's yurodivy?

Some characteristics that were commonly seen in yurodivys (holy fools at the Russian court) were going around half-naked, being homeless, speaking in riddles, being believed to be clairvoyant and a prophet, and occasionally being disruptive and challenging to the point of seeming immoral (though always to make a point).
  • Options

That Death Star crowd though - they are one tough gig....
    Even in the canteen.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,800
    John Glenn have us one of my favourite quotes. When asked what was going through his mind as he prepared to take off on his epic journey into space:

I felt exactly how you would feel if you were getting ready to launch and knew you were sitting on top of two million parts -- all built by the lowest bidder on a government contract.
    Speedy said:

Will everyone that is a likeable public character die this year?
    https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/806956507816300544

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited December 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Will everyone that is a likeable public character die this year?
    https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/806956507816300544

Has Tony Blair died too :( ?
    Hillary Clinton :( ?

Do robots die?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

Boris as the government's yurodivy?

Some characteristics that were commonly seen in yurodivys (holy fools at the Russian court) were going around half-naked, being homeless, speaking in riddles, being believed to be clairvoyant and a prophet, and occasionally being disruptive and challenging to the point of seeming immoral (though always to make a point).
    Euro-divvy. Like it.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403

DavidL said:

Lord vodermot must do, otherwise would never got the job as an educational leader!
    LOL very true.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Meanwhile, out in the country at large where little contretemps over Saudi Arabia go largely unnoticed...

https://twitter.com/SimonMAtkinson/status/806970266039488512
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

This wasn't as fancy as that, but still a good time. First time shooting for a couple of the group as well and they really enjoyed it. Clay pigeons for advanced shooters and targets for everyone one else. The instructor was amazing as well, we went out in Hertfordshire somewhere.
    Mine was a one night, boozy, boys night in Blackpool where we ended up sleeping five or six at a B & B........ No drugs, strippers, hookers, tarts....just beer, mates, chips and music....

And I am the one lampooned on this site as an out of touch, feckless, establishment, elitist lefty living in Tuscany.........
  • Options
    tyson said:

Charles said:

philiph said:

Charles said:

I hope you didn't have to murder any animals and were just shooting at clay bits of pottery
    Course not. I only shoot pheasant for the table. This was clays (but with the flights set to mimic the flights of specific game birds)
  • Options
    tyson said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

Mine was a one night, boozy, boys night in Blackpool where we ended up sleeping five or six at a B & B........ No drugs, strippers, hookers, tarts....just beer, mates, chips and music....

And I am the one lampooned on this site as an out of touch, feckless, establishment, elitist lefty living in Tuscany.........
    You seem to inhabit a similar planet to me.
  • Options
    Charles said:

tyson said:

Charles said:

philiph said:

Charles said:

Course not. I only shoot pheasant for the table. This was clays (but with the flights set to mimic the flights of specific game birds)
    When you say to mimic the flights...is that because the pheasants are fat, wings clipped and easier to shoot.

When you sort of hit the pheasants, a kind of half shot, and they are sort of twitching around, their bodies distorted by their injuries, alive, in great shock and pain..... but need to be stamped on...are those the ones you enjoy eating most.....Yummy......
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited December 2016
    I see the us nighty shows have moved on from rage at thick racists voting for trump to constantly bashing and lampooning the electoral college system.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    tyson said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

That sounds like a normal night out! Out of touch indeed ;)
  • Options
    tyson said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

Tbh, that's what we're trying to achieve, tyson. We want a relaxed night out with good beer, good food and good company. It's the best man who wants to go mental.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

tyson said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

Tbh, that's what we're trying to achieve, tyson. We want a relaxed night out with good beer, good food and good company. It's the best man who wants to go mental.
    Bath isn't a bad choice for good beer.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Charles said:

tyson said:

Charles said:

philiph said:

Charles said:

When you say to mimic the flights...is that because the pheasants are fat, wings clipped and easier to shoot.

When you sort of hit the pheasants, a kind of half shot, and they are sort of twitching around, their bodies distorted by their injuries, alive, in great shock and pain..... but need to be stamped on...are those the ones you enjoy eating most.....Yummy......
    No - partridges fly low and fast, pheasant high and curving. All serious countryfolk hate winging birds by the way. And we dont clip their wings: these aren't commercial shoots.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

tyson said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

I hope you find a way to achieve it, for everyone's sake.

Good night, everyone.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

tyson said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

The groom picked Bath! It's the best man who wants to bus everyone to Bristol for two nights to go to clubs and do coke. Hopefully we can drag the whole thing back to sanity or convince the groom to have a second night in London.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The recount in the states is going well (below is rando Facebook post)

This is a bloodbath

The room I’m in has a team of Trump lawyers circulating the tables like sharks. I’m only aware of one Green lawyer and one law student in the (large) room.

There’s 1-2 Trump volunteers at every table with written challenge scripts, challenging every single step automatically. Gumming up the works.

I was at my table a full hour before our box was even unsealed!

I haven't counted a single vote in my first four hour shift.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146

Meanwhile, out in the country at large where little contretemps over Saudi Arabia go largely unnoticed...

I've been travelling around Britain a fair bit this week, and you know, I'm not surprised. So much of what you might have expected to be solid Labour is changing out of all recognition, moving towards looking much more like marginal territory. Places like Grimsby and Scunthorpe and Doncaster are what Reading and Swindon looked like 20 years ago.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

I see the us nighty shows have moved on from rage at thick racists voting for trump to constantly bashing and lampooning the electoral college system.

A system they would be entirely happy with if the positions of Clinton and Trump were reversed.
  • Options
    glw said:

A system they would be entirely happy with if the positions of Clinton and Trump were reversed.
    How dare you suggest such a thing...I am sure they would have been equally outraged!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

tyson said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

The groom picked Bath! It's the best man who wants to bus everyone to Bristol for two nights to go to clubs and do coke. Hopefully we can drag the whole thing back to sanity or convince the groom to have a second night in London.
    The last stag night I went on was at LeTouquet in France a few years ago....after a days playing golf and going racing most of us just wanted to have a nice meal and go to bed....

The best man (a London DJ) bought a round of cocktails to the naysayers (including me)...which he spiked with a healthy dose of pure MDMA. At 8.00a.m the next day I finally went to bed...the meal was forgotten...but there again was most of the night. Apparently I had a huge smile on my face though and still look back to it with very fond memories.....

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Farage and Mensch on QT....
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    chestnut said:

Farage and Mensch on QT....

Should be fun ;-)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2016
    Just got back from Sleaford. Unfortunately there didn't seem to be much going on in the town, so I can't report any news on what might have happened.
  • Options
    Split in the Lib Dems reported by the Independent. Three of their MP's have rebelled against Tim Farron and will not support his hard line stance
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Charles said:

tyson said:

Charles said:

philiph said:

Charles said:

Are you a sporting clays man?
  • Options

Split in the Lib Dems reported by the Independent. Three of their MP's have rebelled against Tim Farron and will not support his hard line stance

I noticed Lamb and Pugh were not on the list. Lamb in particular represents a leave constituency
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

glw said:

How dare you suggest such a thing...I am sure they would have been equally outraged!
    You can just imagine the protesters "He's f*cking nuts, but he won the popular vote!"
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Charles said:

tyson said:

Charles said:

philiph said:

Charles said:

So I guess you like murdering animals for a spot of entertainment too?

And you vote Brexit....and support Trump. And you are not a fan of Pope Francis..... Just joining the dots.

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Many more think Labour are out of date. LOL "progressive".
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,097
    I can imagine that Boris's views on Saudi Arabia are much more in line with the population than the governments.
  • Options
    tyson said:

MP_SE said:

Charles said:

tyson said:

Charles said:

philiph said:

Charles said:

And you vote Brexit....and support Trump. And you are not a fan of Pope Francis..... Just joining the dots.

I am vegetarian and I would suggest you google "sporting clays"...
  • Options

I noticed Lamb and Pugh were not on the list. Lamb in particular represents a leave constituency
    Norman Lamb, Greg Mulholland and John Pugh all abstained from the vote saying that they do not want to give the impression they do not accept the result or want to block it.

Sensible and not a good look for Farron
  • Options

I can imagine that Boris's views on Saudi Arabia are much more in line with the population than the governments.

Only those who are politically engaged
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Goddamit I love those Germans. Whoever voted for Brexit? Morons.

Germans are brilliant, wise, clever and insightful.

These latter remarks are entirely unconnected with the fact S K Tremayne has TWO books in the Spiegel bestseller lists this week. EISIGE SCHWESTERN re-entering at number 18, and STIEFKIND going straight in at number 12.

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/806984585535979520

Mate...you should think about changing that photo. You look just a bit scary; tanned and healthy but scary.......
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited December 2016

When 1/3 of your parliamentary group rebels, it's a big rebellion.

They should split in 2, Farron can lead the Liberals, Lamb can lead the Democrats.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

I've been travelling around Britain a fair bit this week, and you know, I'm not surprised. So much of what you might have expected to be solid Labour is changing out of all recognition, moving towards looking much more like marginal territory. Places like Grimsby and Scunthorpe and Doncaster are what Reading and Swindon looked like 20 years ago.
    I'm moved at this point to recall the piece recently published in the New Statesman which informed us that, since 1970, every Labour Opposition (even that led by Blair in the mid-Nineties) has assumed a downward trajectory in the opinion polls from this point in a Parliament onwards. There is also a strong tendency for the polls to overestimate Labour's actual general election vote, and IIRC the Tory vote has been underestimated at almost every general election for at least the last half-century, 1983 being the sole exception.

I'm still reasonably confident that Labour won't slip much below 25%, but it's certainly not too much of a stretch of the imagination to believe that a continued woeful performance in Opposition, combined with some successful vote stealing by Ukip and the Lib Dems, could drive them down towards the 23% of the vote that Nick Clegg's Lib Dems managed to secure in 2010. The latter only came away with 57 seats; Labour would do a great deal better with the same vote share, of course - but right now its supermajorities in the main urban centres and many of the poorest parts of England and Wales are all that are standing between a heavy defeat and total catastrophe for the party.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

tyson said:

MP_SE said:

Charles said:

tyson said:

Charles said:

philiph said:

Charles said:

Sorry....my apologies and profusely so.....And no excuses. So sorry. And with no justifications....

• Options
    Hurry up Amazon putting up new top gear episode..otherwise I might be forced to watch the worst QT panel ever!
  • Options
    Watching Blackadder II ("Potato") on the Yesterday Channel :)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    glw said:

Oh, I'm sure some of them disliked it before. They just didn't care about when they would win, like our own dear fairweather PR supporters who discover FPTP is an outrage, when it produces the wrong result, which presumably annoys the consistent PR supporters.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

This is a bloodbath

The room I’m in has a team of Trump lawyers circulating the tables like sharks. I’m only aware of one Green lawyer and one law student in the (large) room.

There’s 1-2 Trump volunteers at every table with written challenge scripts, challenging every single step automatically. Gumming up the works.

This is what is depressing about American politics: the hardline partisanship. Even with their man safely in the White House, Republicans, or at least some of them, are still intent on frustrating the count. For the most part we do not have that over here.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

When 1/3 of your parliamentary group rebels, it's a big rebellion.

They should split in 2, Farron can lead the Liberals, Lamb can lead the Democrats.
    I believe two of them were paired and one was telling.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited December 2016
    Stop the press;

"People in Sleaford have been left shocked that Boston has been ranked as a better place to visit by a travel website."

Read more at http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/it-has-so-much-to-offer-shock-as-sleaford-is-named-as-tenth-best-tourist-attraction-out-of-15/story-29966427-detail/story.html#ZZTFsCEF1vbXEiju.99
  • Options

Darth Vader would be excellent at solving our productivity problems, he was splendid at finding ways to motivate workers, but I do worry about high spending defence contracts, producing overmanned, ineffective vanity projects, frankly.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,462
    edited December 2016
    MP_SE said:

tyson said:

MP_SE said:

Charles said:

tyson said:

Charles said:

philiph said:

Charles said:

No, no. *I* am the only vegetarian in the PB Village!!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2016
    Pong said:
    It's a nice town but doesn't exactly have a lot of attractions apart from the church and museum.

Not really surprising that Boston rates higher since it has a population of 67,000 compared to just 18,000 in Sleaford.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Just got back from Sleaford. Unfortunately there didn't seem to be much going on in the town, so I can't report any news on what might have happened.

For Sleaford that is probably the equivalent of the last Saturday before Christmas.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    kle4 said:

glw said:

Oh, I'm sure some of them disliked it before. They just didn't care about when they would win, like our own dear fairweather PR supporters who discover FPTP is an outrage, when it produces the wrong result, which presumably annoys the consistent PR supporters.
    I do think if Clinton had won but with less than circa 3 millions votes...this would first had led to Trump going off the radar bonkers.....but also caused some existential crisis within the Democrats and how they take forward the new administration with this lack of mandate...particularly to the supreme court pic, and some of her cabinet. They would have made massive compromises in my opinion.

But Trump will not compromise on anything..not this, not his own party, not his business interests, his use of social media....

Personally I think GOP should have won this election. 3 terms in the US is too long. But, how the hell they haven't developed a system for weeding someone like Trump out god only knows.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

This is a bloodbath

Why are they acting as if they have something to hide?
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    tyson said:

MP_SE said:

tyson said:

MP_SE said:

Charles said:

tyson said:

Charles said:

philiph said:

Charles said:

Sorry....my apologies and profusely so.....And no excuses. So sorry. And with no justifications....

You did the same to me in an exchange on here finally ending up accusing the UK as having the worse animal rights record in Europe. I then pointed out a number of appalling situations just down the road from your villa. You were very sorry that time as well but seemed not to have learned.

You really need to calm down a bit, stop being Mr fecking outraged all the time and acting as some sort of ivory tower moral conscience of PB. People have differing views and you disagree fine no issues but it doesn't make them wrong and they don't deserve the tirade of abuse and insults you commonly throw at them for example in Brexit.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Pong said:

Stop the press;

"People in Sleaford have been left shocked that Boston has been ranked as a better place to visit by a travel website."

Read more at http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/it-has-so-much-to-offer-shock-as-sleaford-is-named-as-tenth-best-tourist-attraction-out-of-15/story-29966427-detail/story.html#ZZTFsCEF1vbXEiju.99

10th out of 15 for best Lincolnshire tourist attraction.

Sounds like Stevenage:
    \
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBIzLNYKUGU
  • Options

MP_SE said:

tyson said:

MP_SE said:

Charles said:

tyson said:

Charles said:

philiph said:

Charles said:

No, no. *I* am the only vegetarian in the PB Village!!
    Lol. I think there are quite a few vegetarians on here. I don't think there are any vegans though.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Darth Vader would be excellent at solving our productivity problems, he was splendid at finding ways to motivate workers, but I do worry about high spending defence contracts, producing overmanned, ineffective vanity projects, frankly.
    "Apology accepted, Captain Needa!" :)
  • Options
    tyson said:

kle4 said:

glw said:

I do think if Clinton had won but with less than circa 3 millions votes...this would first had led to Trump going off the radar bonkers.....but also caused some existential crisis within the Democrats and how they take forward the new administration with this lack of mandate...particularly to the supreme court pic, and some of her cabinet. They would have made massive compromises in my opinion.

But Trump will not compromise on anything..not this, not his own party, not his business interests, his use of social media....

Personally I think GOP should have won this election. 3 terms in the US is too long. But, how the hell they haven't developed a system for weeding someone like Trump out god only knows.
    I guess they thought they had such a system. Whoops.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

tyson said:

MP_SE said:

tyson said:

MP_SE said:

Charles said:

tyson said:

Charles said:

philiph said:

Charles said:

You did the same to me in an exchange on here finally ending up accusing the UK as having the worse animal rights record in Europe. I then pointed out a number of appalling situations just down the road from your villa. You were very sorry that time as well but seemed not to have learned.

You really need to calm down a bit, stop being Mr fecking outraged all the time and acting as some sort of ivory tower moral conscience of PB. People have differing views and you disagree fine no issues but it doesn't make them wrong and they don't deserve the tirade of abuse and insults you commonly throw at them for example in Brexit.
    OK...but please give me a tiny bit of credit for recognising when I do make mistakes, and do apologise..... I could just ignore it, or worse still make it worse. But when people make justified critiques about what I say I do hold my hands up and say "fair cop"
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

This is a bloodbath

Why are they acting as if they have something to hide?
    Because with Russian help Trump rigged the election. Now, I know what you are thinking - Alistair, that sounds crazy and made up. Amd you are right. But we live in a post fact world now. The election was fraudulent you rugged in favour of Trump. Trump himself has said so. Millions of fraudulent votes.

You have to accept what I am saying and thank me for it.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Omnium said:

This is on Boris, surely? However much most of us might agree with his underlying points.

The more general point about Saudi is that people should be careful what they wish for when they condemn the [very condemnable] regime.

Yes. But as someone who's gone along with governments supporting dodgy allies in the past, I've come to feel it's often not really in our long-term interest. Perhaps Boris's indiscretion reflects what should be our policy, given that the Saudis don't seem to respond to behind-the-scenes pressure. If the current regime is eventually overthrown, might we not find that decades of unquestioning public support had got us into sticky territory?

Corbyn raised the issue of Saudi behaviour at PMQs last year - at that time, the general feeling was that it was an odd distraction from mainstream issues - and Labour put forward a motion a few months ago on similar lines to what Boris has now said (the Government voted it down).
    So are you supporting Boris in this?
    Yes, though more on the substance than the form - I would like to see him persuading the Government that this was the line they should take, rather than just sound off in a speech.
This discussion has been closed.