Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » By-Election Results both local and Westminster: December 1st 2

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited December 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » By-Election Results both local and Westminster: December 1st 2016

"undefined"==typeof window.datawrapper&&(window.datawrapper={}),window.datawrapper["vEpiM"]={},window.datawrapper["vEpiM"].embedDeltas={"100":920,"200":762,"300":678,"400":650,"500":650,"600":622,"700":622,"800":622,"900":622,"1000":622},window.datawrapper["vEpiM"].iframe=document.getElementById("datawrapper-chart-vEpiM"),window.datawrapper["vEpiM"].iframe.style.height=window.datawrapper["vEpiM"].embedDeltas[Math.min(1e3,Math.max(100*Math.floor(window.datawrapper["vEpiM"].iframe.offsetWidth/100),100))]+"px",window.addEventListener("message",function(a){if("undefined"!=typeof a.data["datawrapper-height"])for(var b in a.data["datawrapper-height"])"vEpiM"==b&&(window.datawrapper["vEpiM"].iframe.style.height=a.data["datawrapper-height"][b]+"px")});

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    edited December 2016
    First again! Winning here!
  • Options
    Any guesses how it might have played out had the Tories run a candidate against Zac?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Any guesses how it might have played out had the Tories run a candidate against Zac?

Tories second, Zac third.

Mrs May screwed the pooch by not putting up a candidate.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Patrick said:

It depends on the candidate but would likely to have been a pro Heathrow, soft Brexit. And the LD's would have still won
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    Patrick said:

Zac's rationale and sticking to the heathrow issue would have been much easier.

But he would have started the campaign without a majority/lead, which would have made winning almost impossible IMO.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797

kle4 said:

I do t know yet if it was a mistake to delay, but being specific on the date was a mistake, as there coukd in theory at least be good reasons to continue to delay, but she picked an arbitrary date and will look a fool if she misses it. Though it is so far off as a deadline that's hard to envisage,

The choice of date is brilliant for destroying the momentum for Leave. First she'll need to delay because of a rear-guard parliamentary process, then the following month Le Pen will get crushed in the French election. Then we'll be too close to the German election to pull the trigger. Brexit is going nowhere.
    Destroying that would destroy her. she may have been officially remain, but her fortunes are tied to Brexit, no way she is secretly helping frustrate it, she needs to make it a success. Anything she does which appears to help frustrate it is surely unintentional.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    2016 = Terrible year for Posh Boys! :smiley:
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I do t know yet if it was a mistake to delay, but being specific on the date was a mistake, as there coukd in theory at least be good reasons to continue to delay, but she picked an arbitrary date and will look a fool if she misses it. Though it is so far off as a deadline that's hard to envisage,

The choice of date is brilliant for destroying the momentum for Leave. First she'll need to delay because of a rear-guard parliamentary process, then the following month Le Pen will get crushed in the French election. Then we'll be too close to the German election to pull the trigger. Brexit is going nowhere.
    Destroying that would destroy her. she may have been officially remain, but her fortunes are tied to Brexit, no way she is secretly helping frustrate it, she needs to make it a success. Anything she does which appears to help frustrate it is surely unintentional.
    She has some human shields to fire first to protect herself. Boris Johnson will be sacked at some point in 2017.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

A minor set back.

We'll be back when the smelly uneducated plebs realise the error of their ways.
  • Options
    Cheers, Mr Hayfield.

FPT: Mr. kle4, only for a few games. (Not bought Skyrim as yet, and a bit off Fallout 4).

Mr. Glenn, and Western Civilisation has also yet to collapse. Both campaigns were dreadful and stuffed with lies. The electorate chose Leave.

Mr. kle4 (2), isn't Mark Williams a snooker player?

Mr. Eagles, vielleicht. We'd only know for sure if we had a second world to run the election with a Conservative candidate.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Destroying that woukd destroy her. she may have been officially remain, but her fortunes are tied to Brexit,

kle4 said:

JonathanD said:

We're out of the EU for a generation at least.

By what process? The Supreme Court is unlikely to rule that May can use the Royal Prerogative, and may even say that as currently constituted, the Scottish Parliament will need to consent to Article 50. Whichever way you look at it we will have bitterly fought constitutional battles before we even get to the point of starting negotiations to leave.
    Given the eu wants us gone now, I wouldn't be surprised if they act like cocks to encourage our MPs and peers not to get ideas of not triggering, not that I think the MPs woukd refuse,
    Wishful thinking.

https://twitter.com/GuyVerhofstadt/status/804603869061926912
    That he's happy our most eu friendly party won does not mean they'd like us to stay. Why woukd they, after this headache weve caused? Plenty tried to claim we'd triggered a50 just by voting they're so keen.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

A minor set back.

I'll have you know I'm a smelly educated pleb.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

A minor set back.

If blowing the referendum, losing the PM and Chancellor and Zac losing two high profile elections in six months is a minor set-back I'd hate to see a Meltdown! :smiley:
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994

Congrats to the Lib Dems on their win.

But also winners of the by-election are the backers of a third runway at Heathrow since the voters of Richmond have not made that their first priority.

Without Zac's publicity, the irony is that the campaign against the additional runway is now somewhat diminished. Also ironic if Mr Sarah Olney gets work from planning the Heathrow expansion.

A win win in that household?

FPT I hope Sarah works with Zac on campaigning against the third runway. I'm sure he can help with his experience on the matter and the time he now has available. This is a serious suggestion.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    kle4 said:

she needs to make it a success.

That is not achievable.

There is no successful outcome.

Paying into the single market, while economically successful is politically suicidal. Not paying in achieves the opposite outcomes.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

But also winners of the by-election are the backers of a third runway at Heathrow since the voters of Richmond have not made that their first priority.

Without Zac's publicity, the irony is that the campaign against the additional runway is now somewhat diminished. Also ironic if Mr Sarah Olney gets work from planning the Heathrow expansion.

FPT I hope Sarah works with Zac on campaigning against the third runway. I'm sure he can help with his experience on the matter and the time he now has available. This is a serious suggestion.
    LOL! The third runway is happening 100% now - And if the government has any sense they'll add a fourth runway and run it right through to Richmond town center! ;)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A minor set back.

If blowing the referendum, losing the PM and Chancellor and Zac losing two high profile elections in six months is a minor set-back I'd hate to see a Meltdown! :smiley:
    2016 may have been our Fall of France/Norway but we'll be back with our Operation Neptune
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

That is not achievable.

Paying into the single market, while economically successful is politically suicidal. Not paying in achieves the opposite outcomes.
    She needs to make it appear a success then, mr pedantic,
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

That is not achievable.

Yup, her least-bad option is to delay.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

I hope the blooming runway gets built ASAP. The voters under the flight path roundly rejected the 'anti-Heathrow' candidate last night.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

That is not achievable.

But of course it won't be as binary as that. Contributions for "access" to the single market will be presented as "transitional" while we carve our way into the brave new world and I suspect most people will be willing to live with that for a few years.

Whether it is actually "transitional" or whether that will be the new status quo, until we eventually get taken back in, 10-20 years into the future, who knows.
  • Options
    Thinking about 2020 and the LibDems and SNP holding the balance of power, I think the LibDem stance should be "No Coalition" with any party.

"We will consider a supply and confidence arrangement with the largest party or coalition of parties but we will only support legislation that we agree with and vote against any that we don't. Period."
  • Options
    @britainelects: Ferndown (Dorset) result:
    CON: 57.0% (+13.1)
    UKIP: 30.4% (-14.2)
    LDEM: 7.2% (+7.2)
    LAB: 5.3% (-6.1)
    Con GAIN from UKIP.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A minor set back.

You equate Dave's Tory party with post-Brexit May's Tory party. I'm not sure most people do. For most of the latter group the tings you list all are big positives.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Thinking about 2020 and the LibDems and SNP holding the balance of power, I think the LibDem stance should be "No Coalition" with any party.

"We will consider a supply and confidence arrangement with the largest party or coalition of parties but we will only support legislation that we agree with and vote against any that we don't. Period."

I think you might be getting a little carried away... ;)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

But of course it won't be as binary as that. Contributions for "access" to the single market will be presented as "transitional" while we carve our way into the brave new world and I suspect most people will be willing to live with that for a few years.

We didn't vote for "transition", we voted OUT. Which part of that don't you understand?*

*extract from headbangers response to transitional payments
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,631
    Patrick said:

Barnesian said:

I hope the blooming runway gets built ASAP. The voters under the flight path roundly rejected the 'anti-Heathrow' candidate last night.
    The flightpath for the new runway goes over Chiswick. The voters there didn't get to cast a ballot.
  • Options
    Someone proposed yesterday that the inevitable ongoing payments to the EU should be branded as industry levies and be paid by business.

Awesome plan.

It would mean this if Nissan wants to stay in the single market to avoid EU levies and keep selling cheap cars on the Continent, it can instead pay a UK levy and put up prices in the UK only...

That's what we voted for, right?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Barnesian said:

By votng in another anti-Heathrow candidate?
    It's a view I suppose.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Rather amusing Trump Christmas video
    https://youtu.be/sW85ZcswiqM
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, it may have been a Fourth Crusade event.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

That is not achievable.

Yup, her least-bad option is to delay.
    The longer the delay, the longer the referendum wound festers.

If May had invoked Article 50 on the day she got selected as Tory leader they would not have been in this terrible position of being "damned if they do, damned if they don't".

Cameron was right, the longer you delay the greater the damage.

By springtime the government may be so damaged it may collapse in acrimony and bickering.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    edited December 2016
    Scott_P - good idea, we can pay it from the taxes we put on cars from the EU.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Barnesian said:

All the candidates in Richmond were against the Heathrow expansion. The Heathrow issue was not tested in the by-election.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Barnesian said:

Yes, I am quite happy with that. Neither May nor Corbyn could cope with the complexities and diplomacy needed for minority govt.

On to Sleaford and Hykeham. LDs were second there in 2010, it would be very positive to gain second place there. The UKIP candidate is the dreadful Victoria Ayling who squandered Grimsby last year by being hopelessly unpleasant to all.

15/2 for second with PP. Worth a fiver.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

That is not achievable.

And there in a nutshell is the Catch-22 for the Brexiteers.

We are all Remainers now.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, it may have been a Fourth Crusade event.

It is more the battles of Trebia, Trasimene, and Cannae.

A few minor and lucky defeats for my side, which all it has done is awoken a resolve to utterly destroy the upstarts in the battle to end the war.
  • Options
    PAW said:

Scott_P - good idea, we can pay it from the taxes we put on cars from the EU.

If we were part of the single market for cars (the whole point) that would be illegal.

Apart from that...
  • Options
    One thing Richmond does highlight though is why it's so darn hard to get anything done in this country in terms of major infrastructure projects.

As well as being a nightmare to get through our ancient planning laws there is ALWAYS a political price to pay whenever the government of the day tries to upgrade our infrastructure - And generally turkeys don't vote for Christmas - Unless your Zac Goldsmith (gobble, gobble) and so nothing gets done. Ever.

And the country just falls into disrepair...
  • Options

Patrick said:

Barnesian said:

All the candidates in Richmond were against the Heathrow expansion. The Heathrow issue was not tested in the by-election.
    Because the Tories were too fearful to field a candidate who supported Government policy.
  • Options
    Absolute fiasco for the forces of Brexit and the hard-Right. With Trump and his chiwawa Farage, the hard-Right thought they had liberalism on the run. The Richmond result has smashed that notion into a cocked hat and shown up 'populism' as a hollow mockery. Thankfully for May, despite her early flirtations with the politics of the asylum, it's not too late to row back. The Tories shouldn't need to be told this, but if ever there was a warning sign for the folly of toying with the hard-Right this is it.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Barnesian said:

The voters under the flightpath voted 95% for the two anti-Heathrow candidates. It couldn't be clearer. Runway 3 won't get built. It will be bogged down in powerful legal challenges for years and we won't have the expansion of runway capacity we need. In the meantime Gatwick is shovel ready. Crazy.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

Absolute fiasco for the forces of Brexit and the hard-Right. With Trump and his chiwawa Farage, the hard-Right thought they had liberalism on the run. The Richmond result has smashed that notion into a cocked hat and shown up 'populism' as a hollow mockery. Thankfully for May, despite her early flirtations with the politics of the asylum, it's not too late to row back. The Tories shouldn't need to be told this, but if ever there was a warning sign for the folly of toying with the hard-Right this is it.

Richmond has never and will never be a hot bed of the hard-right. It's all tea and cakes and bring and buy and jolly hockey sticks and bijou boats. So, your analysis is skewy.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Barnesian said:

The flightpath for the new runway goes over Chiswick. The voters there didn't get to cast a ballot.
    It goes over lots of places that "did not have a vote". And matters of infrastructure should not be subject to referendums by locals – nothing would get built anywhere, ever.

Equally insane would be asking the public to vote on the UK's membership of a supranational trading bloc on which they are almost entirely ignorant, and to which they apportion a series of consequences, many of which are groundless, then ask a ragtag army of reactionary footsoldiers to go out and peddle downright lies about their beloved NHS by pushing fallacious propaganda through their letterboxes.

Surely nobody would seriously suggest such madness?

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    edited December 2016

Barnesian said:

Yes, I am quite happy with that. Neither May nor Corbyn could cope with the complexities and diplomacy needed for minority govt.

On to Sleaford and Hykeham. LDs were second there in 2010, it would be very positive to gain second place there. The UKIP candidate is the dreadful Victoria Ayling who squandered Grimsby last year by being hopelessly unpleasant to all.

What are PP offering on the Indie (Marianne Overton) coming 2nd? I think that she's the one who's most likely to stop your bet coming off actually so if you could get some cheap insurance as well...
  • Options

So who was this hard-right candidate who got thrashed in Richmond? The voters had a choice of 'nice' candidates.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

seems a very good bet
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Scott_P said:

@britainelects: Ferndown (Dorset) result:
    CON: 57.0% (+13.1)
    UKIP: 30.4% (-14.2)
    LDEM: 7.2% (+7.2)
    LAB: 5.3% (-6.1)
    Con GAIN from UKIP.

Those are not the correct figures for Ferndown . They are the figures from the previous by election in September .
    Correct figures are

Con 1463
    UKIP 831
    LDem 301
    Lab 160
  • Options

Yep, the Closed Right took a fucking spanking. 2016's twist in the tale.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Barnesian said:

I think it's a realistic view at this moment.

It's clear that on present course the Tories will gain a large share of the UKIP vote but will lose seats in Remain areas to the LD.

If they reverse course they will keep their seats in Remain areas but they will be in danger of losing seats in Leave areas as their voters move to UKIP.

The Referendum result has now developed into a wedge issue that splits the Tory party, congrats to the PM for waiting too long, that mess is her fault.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Wonder what would happen if there was a by election in a strong LEAVE area like Sunderland or Corby?

Life doesn't begin and end in London... Despite what multi-millionaire Londoners think.
  • Options
    Mrs May should have listened to someone who knows how to win general elections.

https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/804529504928538624
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    Jobabob said:

The contradictions are more absurd than you think. This was Boris Johnson this morning:

https://twitter.com/ChathamHouse/status/804607480374394880
  • Options

Doesn't this by-election just show us that Britain is hopelessly divided? Richmond is stuffed full of young or middle-aged professionals who voted Remain and losing the EU keeps them awake at nights.

@JamesKanag of Populus has tweeted that there may be 20-25 seats like this where Tories are in trouble over Brexit.

Enough to lose a majority but will be more than made up by Corbyn collapse elsewhere.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Scott_P - if say, a UK firm is asked for a bribe for access to the EU, why not demand money for access to the UK?
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    GIN1138 said:

Wonder what would happen if there was a by election in a strong LEAVE area like Sunderland or Corby?
    Although I assume Stark Dawning was joking it will be interesting to see how the narrative changes if the Libs dont win Sleaford (as seems incredibly likely). With high expectations now surely by their own logic if they don't get at least a close 2nd then Hard Brexit is back on.
  • Options

A fair point from the Shappmeister.

It's amazing how old boy wheeler-dealers like Grant now look like big beasts compared to today's lightweight political class.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Jobabob said:

You're really this excited about a by-election in unusual circumstances in an unusual part of the country?

I'm annoyed that Goldsmith's stupid publicity stunt has put another anti-Article 50 MP into Parliament, but it really doesn't change anything.
  • Options

This isn't about hard right it was a 70% remain ex-liberal democrat constituency with a failed mayoral candidate who is pro brexit the result is hardly surprising and certainly not any indication of the feelings of the country at large . You really are extrapolating meaning that isn't there. Richmond is not representive of the rest of the UK. Enjoy your smugfest while it lasts . The smile will soon disappear when remainers finally have have to come to acceptance that we are leaving the EU
  • Options

And if they row back they will be destroyed by Tory Leave voters leaving for UKIP.

Damned if they do, Damned if they don't.

They should have invoked Article 50.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

The contradictions are more absurd than you think. This was Boris Johnson this morning:

https://twitter.com/ChathamHouse/status/804607480374394880
    The guy is a complete clown, albeit made to look vaguely sensible when compared to the two other comedians on the Brexit brief. Essentially, Fox and DD are a support act for him.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

It's amazing how old boy wheeler-dealers like Grant now look like big beasts compared to today's lightweight political class.
    Grant looks a lightweight compared to Matt Hancock, compared to even IDS and Liam Fox he seems positively featherweight. I don't think Michael Green is a voice worth listening to.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Brom said:

GIN1138 said:

Although I assume Stark Dawning was joking it will be interesting to see how the narrative changes if the Libs dont win Sleaford (as seems incredibly likely). With high expectations now surely by their own logic if they don't get at least a close 2nd then Hard Brexit is back on.
    The media control the narrative. Any result will be spun as bad for Brexit.
  • Options

I agree with Michael Green. The Tories made the wrong decision not standing against Zac when he flounced.

Lib-Dems would have won anyway of course but they should have given Tories in Richmond the opportunity to vote for a Tory candidate.

All water under the bridge now.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Life doesn't begin and end in London... Despite what multi-millionaire Londoners think.

In the former, Labour would win easily. Corby is sui generis, it being an ethic Scots enclave within England – the SNP could put up a pro-Leave maverick and win there!
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Brom said:

Jobabob said:

Grant looks a lightweight compared to Matt Hancock, compared to even IDS and Liam Fox he seems positively featherweight. I don't think Michael Green is a voice worth listening to.
    So speaks a four letter username on the internet.
  • Options

First let's see what happens in the Sleaford and North Hykeham by-election next week.
  • Options

So who was this hard-right candidate who got thrashed in Richmond? The voters had a choice of 'nice' candidates.
    No one ever votes for candidates. Let's face it, both the Tories and Goldsmith thought they had Richmond in the bag. The Tories would never have dreamt of attempting a stunt like this when Major was PM. That they blithely did it here is evidence of soaring hubris: we can do whatever we like cos our opponents are all useless. The Tories will have had a stark reminder today of their political mortality. That's not a bad thing.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Speedy said:

GIN1138 said:

Barnesian said:

I think it's a realistic view at this moment.

It's clear that on present course the Tories will gain a large share of the UKIP vote but will lose seats in Remain areas to the LD.

If they reverse course they will keep their seats in Remain areas but they will be in danger of losing seats in Leave areas as their voters move to UKIP.

The Referendum result has now developed into a wedge issue that splits the Tory party, congrats to the PM for waiting too long, that mess is her fault.
    Indeed, it will be interesting to see May's next move.
  • Options

Presumably you didn't witness Goldsmith's hard right, Islamophobic, reactionary, close-minded, bigoted mayoral campaign then?
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Brom said:

Jobabob said:

Grant, is that you? :)
  • Options
    You can tell Mike is a Lib Dem.

Dodgy bar charts since the 80s.

This one just needs a dodgy scale to really complete the job.

Since when did by-elections compared with G.E.s go on total number of votes, rather than swing or vote share?
  • Options

First let's see what happens in the Sleaford and North Hykeham by-election next week.
    Easy Tory win in a illiberal Closed heartland. Anything else would be another unmitigated disaster for the bumpkins.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Brom said:

GIN1138 said:

And we're not listening anymore to TV pundit opinions. They've comprehensively lost their credibility here and in US.

Joe Public aren't stupid.
  • Options
    Brom said:

GeoffM said:

Brom said:

Jobabob said:

Grant, is that you? :)
    Eh?
  • Options

No one ever votes for candidates. Let's face it, both the Tories and Goldsmith thought they had Richmond in the bag. The Tories would never have dreamt of attempting a stunt like this when Major was PM.

Do you honestly believe the Tories/Mrs May had any choice about this by election or that they really wanted it?

This by election was brought on us by Zac and Zac alone.
  • Options

Brom said:

GIN1138 said:

Yup, I can already see the remoaner headlines in the Mail/Express/Tele/Sun.
  • Options
    "Absolute fiasco for the forces of Brexit and the hard-Right. With Trump and his chiwawa Farage, the hard-Right thought they had liberalism on the run. The Richmond result has smashed that notion into a cocked hat and shown up 'populism' as a hollow mockery. "

Yes, those millionaires in their multi-million pound houses really smashed the filthy peasants who voted for Brexit up and down the country, eh what?

We shouldn't let people vote unless they can prove they at LEAST have a Romanian cleaner or a Swedish au pair.
  • Options
    dogbasket said:

You can tell Mike is a Lib Dem.

Dodgy bar charts since the 80s.

This one just needs a dodgy scale to really complete the job.

Since when did by-elections compared with G.E.s go on total number of votes, rather than swing or vote share?

When one of the major parties doesn't choose to stand ?
  • Options

Brom said:

GIN1138 said:

Yup, I can already see the remoaner headlines in the Mail/Express/Tele/Sun.
    Can you really? That's a neat trick.
    Just get the Lottery numbers whilst you're there, ta.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

No one ever votes for candidates. Let's face it, both the Tories and Goldsmith thought they had Richmond in the bag. The Tories would never have dreamt of attempting a stunt like this when Major was PM.

Do you honestly believe the Tories/Mrs May had any choice about this by election or that they really wanted it?

It was completely unnecessary and just a pure vanity project from another entitled metropolitan politician. I'm sure Theresa tried to make him change his mind, but once he decided to call the by-election I doubt she would have been too fussed concerning the result. It was certainly better for May and Brexit that he lost as an independent rather than as a Tory.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Hmm, a remain candidate beating a leave candidate in a constituency where the remain leave vote was 65/35 isn't going to rewrite the history books. In fact in a by-election where the national party threw absolutely everything at it means the 2% victory margin was probably not as good as it could have been. Anyone making any judgements on the national picture based on a by-election in Richmond needs to have their head examined.
  • Options
    "When one of the major parties doesn't choose to stand ?"

Er, which one was that, remind me? UKIP who lost their deposit in 2015?
  • Options
    dogbasket said:

The Tories.
  • Options
    dogbasket said:

FFS.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Easy Tory win in a illiberal Closed heartland. Anything else would be another unmitigated disaster for the bumpkins.
    The Yellow-Bellies will not go yellow.
  • Options
    Yes a lack of intelligence seems to be a common theme among the Brexit Hard Right.
  • Options
    Really funny, awful car crash interview from new MP. Very cruel but very entertaining.

New Richmond Park MP Sarah Olney dragged off air by PR after grilling by Julia | talkRADIO

cut and paste into your browser:

http://po.st/B9wXjI

via @talkRADIO
  • Options
    "The Tories."

They stood as ''Independent'. You compare the Goldsmith 2016 vote share with the 2015 share.

This really is not hard to understand.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Jobabob said:

Perhaps "the bumpkins" are wiser than you are.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

A good example of the left snearing at the ordinary working folk of this country
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited December 2016

dogbasket said:

FFS.
    We're in a post truth world, or I'd like to think some people like Dogbasket are so dense, light refracts of him.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Tories should have stood. Parties that pick and choose where and when to stand reach oblivion quickly.
  • Options
    dogbasket said:

"The Tories."

They stood as ''Independent'. You compare the Goldsmith 2016 vote share with the 2015 share.

This really is not hard to understand.

You don't understand.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Lennon said:

Barnesian said:

What are PP offering on the Indie (Marianne Overton) coming 2nd? I think that she's the one who's most likely to stop your bet coming off actually so if you could get some cheap insurance as well...
    15/2 each for Labour, Lincs independents and Lib Dems.

Lab vote there is resilient, unchanged 2010 to 2015, and good value. The Linc Indies do well on the council, but not GE.

Victoria Ayling is an appalling candidate for UKIP in a seat that they should have prospects in. She offends everyone she meets, google her for more details.

There hasn't been a big campaign mustering by EMids LDs even for those of us nearby, and quite a difficult constituency to canvas. Getting second place back (from 4th in 2015) would be major progress.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Jobabob said:

Yes a lack of intelligence seems to be a common theme among the Brexit Hard Right.
    Whereas the defining characteristic of their opponents is an utter lack of humility.

• Options
    "Really funny, awful car crash interview from new MP. Very cruel but very entertaining."

She said 'I won a clear majority of the votes'. No she didn't.

Does Hartley-Brewer using drip with sarcasm, I'm not really familiar with her?
This discussion has been closed.