Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest political betting round-up: the main markets

13»

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    GeoffM said:

Surely a point that must be considered is that with Pinochet a vital national interest (Falklands) was at stake. Whether this makes working with him acceptable or not, I don't know. Thatcher obviously felt it did. I am a realist in international politics - one of my main bugbears about our morally questionable Middle East policy is that it doesn't actually HELP Britain.

Indeed. A country has interests, not friends.
    I'm not bothered about the morally questionable bit so long as there is actually a useful goal or strategic interest on the table.
    Chumming up with Pol Pot and the Afghan Jihadis was seen by our government as serving our nations interest at the time. In retrospect it did us no good at all. Applying a little moral sense may well have steered us clear of a lot of trouble.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Surely a point that must be considered is that with Pinochet a vital national interest (Falklands) was at stake. Whether this makes working with him acceptable or not, I don't know. Thatcher obviously felt it did. I am a realist in international politics - one of my main bugbears about our morally questionable Middle East policy is that it doesn't actually HELP Britain.

I'm not bothered about the morally questionable bit so long as there is actually a useful goal or strategic interest on the table.
    None of our recent "adventures" in the middle east have helped us. Our foreign policy is shambolic. It has been driven by what ou government thinks is moral. Not what is in the national interest.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,629
    I'm just curious what the excuse will be for Castro's money. In net terms he was considerably richer than Trump. Just as was Chavez etc....

Funny how these things are not "interesting" - such as the KGB money stash.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,578
    NoEasyDay said:

GeoffM said:

None of our recent "adventures" in the middle east have helped us. Our foreign policy is shambolic. It has been driven by what ou government thinks is moral. Not what is in the national interest.
    No, it's been driven by America. And dressed up in the language of morality. If what our Government or anyone else thought was moral mattered, we wouldn't be cosy with some undesirables and spitting bile at others.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

There was quite a strong strategic interest for the UK (preservation of the Empire) on the table in 1939-40. Do you think that should have overridden moral imperatives?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074

rcs1000 said:

GeoffM said:

MikeK said:
    "Supporters have praised him for bringing social advances to Cuba, while critics have highlighted his government's repression and alleged human rights violations"

"Alleged" human rights violations.....he imprisoned his own people on an island! Go and ask all those lucky enough who managed to escape to Florida. I have...
    Maggie had her own favorite Latin American despot - Pinochet!

*runs and hides*
    Pinochet wasn't a despot. He saved his country and was a true patriot.
    He might have been a patriot, but plenty of people disappeared on his watch. We must judge our friends by the same standards as our enemies.
    Doesn't sound like a strategy for keeping many friends.
    It means I keep the friends I wish to have.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

There was quite a strong strategic interest for the UK (preservation of the Empire) on the table in 1939-40. Do you think that should have overridden moral imperatives?
    No, it should have overridden them in 1914. Then there would have been no 39 to 45.
  • Options

NoEasyDay said:

GeoffM said:

No, it's been driven by America. And dressed up in the language of morality. If what our Government or anyone else thought was moral mattered, we wouldn't be cosy with some undesirables and spitting bile at others.
    Struggling to argue with that. Youre correct i think.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

GeoffM said:

MikeK said:
    "Supporters have praised him for bringing social advances to Cuba, while critics have highlighted his government's repression and alleged human rights violations"

"Alleged" human rights violations.....he imprisoned his own people on an island! Go and ask all those lucky enough who managed to escape to Florida. I have...

*runs and hides*
    He might have been a patriot, but plenty of people disappeared on his watch. We must judge our friends by the same standards as our enemies.
    You might wish to have General Pinochet as a friend when he's passing radar information (was that what it was?) that is helping you re-take British sovereign territory with the minimum of cost of life. If you do, do you then not have to keep being his friend, because no-one else will help you if they think you ditch people at the drop of a hat as soon as you stop needing them?
  • Options
    Back to Richmond :

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016/nov/22/ba-boss-shocked-to-find-out-that-third-heathrow-runway-will-raze-his-hq

Not sure I quite believe that BA didn't realise where the runway was going. Methinks that the discovery that Heathrow's owners are *really* going to push for massive increases in operators fees to pay for the runway is making minds up....
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

GeoffM said:

No, it should have overridden them in 1914. Then there would have been no 39 to 45.
    Absolute tosh. There may not have been exactly what happened in 39-45, but the social tensions built up in the old order would have boiled over in a major conflagration of some sort.

History is far too complex to say if this had not happened, then that wouldn't've.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Interesting juxtaposition on BBC News frontpage now:

Trump: Castro was brutal dictator.

Corbyn Praises 'huge' figure of Castro.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,995

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

GeoffM said:

MikeK said:

*runs and hides*
    You might wish to have General Pinochet as a friend when he's passing radar information (was that what it was?) that is helping you re-take British sovereign territory with the minimum of cost of life. If you do, do you then not have to keep being his friend, because no-one else will help you if they think you ditch people at the drop of a hat as soon as you stop needing them?
    I can only hope Thatcher used her influence to try and moderate him.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

GeoffM said:

MikeK said:

*runs and hides*
    Radar information from Chile helped retake the Falklands?

Source please.
  • Options

Back to Richmond :

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016/nov/22/ba-boss-shocked-to-find-out-that-third-heathrow-runway-will-raze-his-hq

Not sure I quite believe that BA didn't realise where the runway was going. Methinks that the discovery that Heathrow's owners are *really* going to push for massive increases in operators fees to pay for the runway is making minds up....

Heathrow's fees are regulated, and therefore (bizarrely) cheaper than many second or third tier airports.
  • Options

Back to Richmond :

BA have plenty of leverage, I can't see why or how Heathrow would be able to completely shaft them.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Hmmm - but you're not really going for the opportunity, though. We should have auctioned the rights to Belgium in 1914. Kaiser Bill can have his war, and Belgium as well. All we want is an enormous pile of cash. And 50% of the dreadnoughts in German Navy. Delivered to Portsmouth....

In our own current times, auction off the Baltic states to Putin. For cash. Unless the EU has a higher bid....
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

GeoffM said:

MikeK said:

*runs and hides*

Source please.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/falklandislands/10947350/Without-Chiles-help-we-would-have-lost-the-Falklands.html

"One of his tasks was to coordinate the long-range radar, which was able to observe movements of Argentine forces in Ushuaia, Rio Gallegos, Rio Grande and Comodoro Rivadavia."
  • Options
    This is my favourite part in Corbyns response

""For all his flaws, Castro's support for Angola played a crucial role in bringing an end to apartheid in South Africa and he will be remembered both as an internationalist and a champion of social justice."

He acknowledged "there were problems and there are problems of excesses by all regimes" but "we have to look at the thing in its totality" and Mr Castro had "seen off a lot of US presidents".
    Yeah there was a reason he outlasted so many U.S Presidents you idiot. ffs.
  • Options
    also helping in indirect ways, from the wiki:

"Throughout the war, Argentina was afraid of a Chilean military intervention in Patagonia and kept some of her best mountain regiments away from the Falklands near the Chilean border as a precaution."
  • Options
    MTimT said:

GeoffM said:

Absolute tosh. There may not have been exactly what happened in 39-45, but the social tensions built up in the old order would have boiled over in a major conflagration of some sort.

History is far too complex to say if this had not happened, then that wouldn't've.
    It is worth considering that the German objective in 1914 was to take a bigger chunk of France (and much of Belgium) to get themselves in a better position for..... the next war. Yes, they were planning for WWII before WWI started....

The German Empire was a genuine militaristic enterprise - those who ran it believed War Was Good. Winning WWI in short order would have just convinced them that they were right.

Imagine a few decades down the line - 1945 say. The Crown Prince (notable in the German court as a war loving loony) would have been on the German thrown. And at the Kaiser Wilhelm Gesellschaft in Berlin, all those scientists who hadn't been chased out of Germany and Austria would have been developing the new physics... Party On!
  • Options
    RobD said:

"Throughout the war, Argentina was afraid of a Chilean military intervention in Patagonia and kept some of her best mountain regiments away from the Falklands near the Chilean border as a precaution."

Her best mountain troops were shite.
    But the general point is true.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Brexshit.

is it hard or soft.....
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

GeoffM said:

MikeK said:

*runs and hides*

Source please.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/falklandislands/10947350/Without-Chiles-help-we-would-have-lost-the-Falklands.html

"One of his tasks was to coordinate the long-range radar, which was able to observe movements of Argentine forces in Ushuaia, Rio Gallegos, Rio Grande and Comodoro Rivadavia."
    Can we continue this tomorrow, as I need to sleep :)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Back to Richmond :

Heathrow's fees are regulated, and therefore (bizarrely) cheaper than many second or third tier airports.
    The scuttlebutt is that the government will say - "yup, you can have your lovely new runway. Paid for with your own lovely money. We will let you raise the money anyway you like..."

Hence the mutterings that actually, the government needs to "invest" in the future at Heathrow. We all know what that means....

I always like the story about Ambrose Bierce on the steps of the Capitol building. He was confronted by the agents of the Railroad Barons who were trying to get government loans forgiven without payment...

"My price is one hundred thirty million dollars. If, when you are ready to pay, I happen to be out of town, you may hand it over to my friend, the Treasurer of the United States."
  • Options
    NoEasyDay said:

RobD said:

Her best mountain troops were shite.
    But the general point is true.
    Well it meant that the best weren't hunkered down on South Georgia or the Falklands themselves.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    nunu said:

Jonathan said:

Brexshit.

is it hard or soft.....
    It is an unflushable floater...
  • Options
    nunu said:

Jonathan said:

Brexshit.

is it hard or soft.....
    So Solid Poo!
  • Options

MTimT said:

GeoffM said:

It is worth considering that the German objective in 1914 was to take a bigger chunk of France (and much of Belgium) to get themselves in a better position for..... the next war. Yes, they were planning for WWII before WWI started....
    Don't forget large bits of the Russian Empire (almost pulled it off at Brest-Litovsk!).
  • Options

MTimT said:

GeoffM said:

Don't forget large bits of the Russian Empire (almost pulled it off at Brest-Litovsk!).
    That was later - the original plan was to hold off Russia while hammering France and stealing chunks of it.
  • Options

MTimT said:

GeoffM said:

That was later - the original plan was to hold off Russia while hammering France and stealing chunks of it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany's_Aims_in_the_First_World_War
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2016
    So Jeremy Corbyn has praised Fidel Castro. Should knock another couple of points off Labour's performance at the next election.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Came home from sunny Scotland to find the house burgled, been waiting over six hours for the police.
    Welcome home me.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    HaroldO said:

Came home from sunny Scotland to find the house burgled, been waiting over six hours for the police.
    Welcome home me.

Sorry to hear that Harold. Much damage or missing?
  • Options
    Just 18 executions in the US so far this year, although 8 of them have been in Georgia, a calendar year record, more than Texas which is at 7 so far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_offenders_executed_in_the_United_States_in_2016
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

Welcome home me.

Awful news. What the hell are the police playing at?
  • Options
    They took xbox's, my knackered laptop and some personal bits. Plus some tools.

Little damage, could clear it up quickly but we need the police first. Nearly seven hours since we called.

Thanks guys by the way.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

Little damage, could clear it up quickly but we need the police first. Nearly seven hours since we called.

Thanks guys by the way.

How dreadful. Not just the loss of property, but also for the invasion of your home. :(
  • Options

In our own current times, auction off the Baltic states to Putin. For cash. Unless the EU has a higher bid....

someone has leaked you Trump foreign policy documents?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    HaroldO said:

Thanks guys by the way.

I was burgled years back - with another attempted burglary at about the same time.

The worst thing for me wasn't the theft - it was the invasion of the home (they got our wedding album out FFS!)

Still, they didn't trash the place and (this was the 80's) the police were there in literally 5 mins

Took me a while to get over it.

best wishes

• Options

MTimT said:

GeoffM said:

The German Empire was a genuine militaristic enterprise - those who ran it believed War Was Good. Winning WWI in short order would have just convinced them that they were right.

Imagine a few decades down the line - 1945 say. The Crown Prince (notable in the German court as a war loving loony) would have been on the German thrown. And at the Kaiser Wilhelm Gesellschaft in Berlin, all those scientists who hadn't been chased out of Germany and Austria would have been developing the new physics... Party On!
    Planning the next war in advance whilst fighting one.

Something waaaay beyond Bush ad Blair - they couldn't even plan for the one in front of them.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

So Jeremy Corbyn has praised Fidel Castro. Should knock another couple of points off Labour's performance at the next election.

You saw / heard of the BBC reporting?

Disgraceful.
  • Options
    nunu said:

This is my favourite part in Corbyns response

""For all his flaws, Castro's support for Angola played a crucial role in bringing an end to apartheid in South Africa and he will be remembered both as an internationalist and a champion of social justice."

He acknowledged "there were problems and there are problems of excesses by all regimes" but "we have to look at the thing in its totality" and Mr Castro had "seen off a lot of US presidents".
    Yeah there was a reason he outlasted so many U.S Presidents you idiot. ffs.

He outlasted a lot of his opponents domestically too.

What happened to them Corbyn?

• Options

MikeK said:
    Don't suppose that poisonous twunt Staines has an iota of empirical evidence to back his statement up, but who needs evidence when you're a vapid shitstirrer.
    Granted I was a teenager when Mrs Thatcher became PM, but I honestly don't recall the summary executions.
    How about the IRA freedom fighters shot dead in Gibraltar
    What about them?

Were they there on their holidays then?

• Options
    HaroldO said:

Welcome home me.

Six hours. Sad to hear you've been waiting so long.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HaroldO said:

Welcome home me.

Burglary are not a priority anymore I'm afraid.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    One of the most interesting films I've watched recently is "I Am Cuba" (1964), directed by Soviet Mikhail Kalatozov. These are the first five minutes:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOLVm_9UcRw
  • Options
    nunu said:

AndyJS said:

HaroldO said:

Welcome home me.

Burglary are not a priority anymore I'm afraid.
    You can bet if Buck House was burgled they'd be on it in a jiffy.
  • Options
    Cheers all. Police have been and we now have the crime number, CSI in the am and a new front door via a helpful mates brother.
    Then an alarm.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

MikeK said:

*runs and hides*
    No he was a murdering fuckwit who had thousands executed. That his opponents might not have been very nice either is beside the point. Pinochet was little different to Castro or many other despots in his tactics and the fact that Britain supported him in any way is repugnant.
    Murdering fuckwit and patriot aren't mutually exclusive.

Don't be a patriot.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

MikeK said:

*runs and hides*
    No he was a murdering fuckwit who had thousands executed. That his opponents might not have been very nice either is beside the point. Pinochet was little different to Castro or many other despots in his tactics and the fact that Britain supported him in any way is repugnant.

Don't be a patriot.
    Only if you promise to stop being a...
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,952
    Morning all. My favourite day of the year, it's the final day of the F1 season and I'm going to watch the race live!
    Come on Lewis, and thanks to Jenson and Filipe for the memories :)
  • Options

GeoffM said:

MikeK said:

*runs and hides*

Don't be a patriot.
    Only if you promise to stop being a...
    Fair enough, I'll cut back on the murdering.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,100

Interesting story on the REAL Syria Civil Defence. Clue: It's not these delightful looking gentlemen
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-real-syria-civil-defence-exposes-natos-white-helmets-as-terrorist-linked-imposters/5547528

Ah, GlobalResearch again. Tell me, what is Chossudovsky's view on 9/11 ?
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

Cheers all. Police have been and we now have the crime number, CSI in the am and a new front door via a helpful mates brother.
    Then an alarm.

Good luck. Keep an eye on how the family is coping. These things are not always rational and the worst case is you might need to move if they still don't feel safe after a few months. Look at the gizmo market -- you can buy cameras that upload to the cloud, and motion sensors that alert you to someone's presence while you are out (or that the cat wants feeding).
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,100
    Pinochet: he was a despot, and anyone help he gave us wrt the Falklands, whilst gratefully received, does not excuse his crimes, or those of his regime.

People criticising his regime for those crimes should remember what Assad has been doing in Syria, even before the civil war:
    http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/06/assad-war-crimes-syria-torture-caesar-hospital
This discussion has been closed.