Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Today’s autumn statement is the first big Treasury event since

Comments

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Hammond getting a rough ride on the deficit...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCNormanS: So...no new target for ending deficit. Only an aspiration. #AutumnStatement
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,553
    Pulpstar said:

I'm not watching it but I backed Hammond to be the next CoTE because he is precisely the sort of dull accountant this country needs at the top job.

Efficiency isn't the corollary of dullness. Some people are dull and crap - as Hammond's time as Defence Secretary amply proves.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Hammond getting a rough ride on the deficit...

I don't think in the long run this will play too badly. Recent news has been pretty positive, and if there is a time for weakness, the first full year of this government is not a bad time (politically).
  • Options
    @GuidoFawkes: Debt will rise to 90% of GDP in 2017/18
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

FPT in response to people saying the 'herd' (thought that word had gone) on PB are wrong.

Also worth pointing out that Betfair, the largest political betting markets in history were "wrong", as was the the popular vote in the US.

To claim PB was a wrong bubble is, in a word, wrong

The white supwemacist waycist won. Get over it.

Advice to live by, SO. We have a tough 8 years to come and the best way to deal with it is to stop fighting yesterday's battles.
    I would cut SO some slack. I think most people would become increasingly hysterical if they found themselves on the losing side of pretty much every vote and leadership contest since 2010.

No need to cut me any slack. In my book white supremacy and anti-Semitism are not appealing character traits. If you disagree and wish to label such a belief hysterical, so be it.

• Options
    @JolyonMaugham: A £46.5bn deficit in 2018/19 where just 18 months ago the Manifesto promised a surplus. A spectacular deterioration in public finances.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

I will call out race-baiters where I find them. That is not yesterday's battle. That is an ongoing one. The fact that you are one of the few righties on here who has forcefully criticised Trump for his embrace of white supremacists and anti-Semites is genuinely shocking to me. I made the mistake of believing that when Corbyn was quite correctly being given stick for his fondness for anti-Semites it was being done from a position of principle not partisanship. You live and learn, I guess.

The only way to win in the future is to change minds and listen to those who are suffering. Trump is not the cause, he is a symptom. That he has chosen to align himself with unsavoury and some downright racists is beyond lamentable, but as I said no use in fighting yesterday's battles. Especially using the same tactics that lost. Using language like deplorables, racist and other liberal go to phrases has, IMO, lead to Trump as much as economic decline. The same is true here for all of those Northern industrial towns that backed Brexit.

Fighting tomorrow's battles against the same opponents will require new tactics and much more humility than Clinton's camp showed.

I completely agree. But this is PB and minds are not going to be changed. Truths, though, can and should be spoken.

Given you think Trump is a race-baiter [despite being rather feted by Blacks for decades before running for POTUS] - how do you explain that significantly more Muslims, Latinos and Blacks voted for him than any other GOP candidate? Oh and apparently gays too?

Were they too stupid - or more informed than you? I see your views as rather peculiar and flying in the face of US residents that had a vote.
    The problem isn't Trump who I don't think cares about race, sexuality or anything like that. It's the people who have since been picked forbbig jobs. Jeff Sessions is a spectacularly poor pick, there is compelling evidence that he is prejudiced against blacks. Bannon seems like a caricature who sings Onward, Christian Soldiers to his children as lullabies.
    I like Onward, Christian Soldiers.
    Me too - and Jerusalem. Was happy to belt it out at a Labour conference I attended whilst at school!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@BBCNormanS: So...no new target for ending deficit. Only an aspiration. #AutumnStatement

Person to vote for if you are worried about the nation's finances?
    = nobody.
  • Options
    Hammond says the govenrment does not expect to balance the budget by 2020.
    It is publishing new rules.
    There are three of them.
    1 - To get the budget in surplus in the next parliament, and borrowing down to 2% by the end of this parliament.
    2 - To get net debt falling by the end of this parliament.
    3 - To keep welfare spending below a limit

Can anyone explain 2 to me? How do you get net debt down if you are still running a deficit?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

FPT in response to people saying the 'herd' (thought that word had gone) on PB are wrong.

Also worth pointing out that Betfair, the largest political betting markets in history were "wrong", as was the the popular vote in the US.

Advice to live by, SO. We have a tough 8 years to come and the best way to deal with it is to stop fighting yesterday's battles.

I will call out race-baiters where I find them. That is not yesterday's battle. That is an ongoing one. The fact that you are one of the few righties on here who has forcefully criticised Trump for his embrace of white supremacists and anti-Semites is genuinely shocking to me. I made the mistake of believing that when Corbyn was quite correctly being given stick for his fondness for anti-Semites it was being done from a position of principle not partisanship. You live and learn, I guess.

Other people can speak for themselves. Personally, I feel pretty detached from the politics of a foreign country, whereas I don't feel so detached from politics in my own country. Corbyn is a threat to me and mine in a way that a foreign politician isn't. Unquestionably, Trump has said some awful things, but that's not going to alter the result.

Donald Trump is going to have much more affect on you and yours than Jeremy Corbyn ever will.

• Options
    @DPJHodges: If Labour were a half-decent opposition this would be a potentially game changing statement. But they're not. So it isn't.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: If Labour were a half-decent opposition this would be a potentially game changing statement. But they're not. So it isn't.

Ain't that a fact.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    edited November 2016
    Patrick said:

Can anyone explain 2 to me? How do you get net debt down if you are still running a deficit?

As a % of GDP?
  • Options
    @TelePolitics: Borrowing forecasts for 2018-19 are now £46.5bn. That's a 117% increase from the £21.4bn Osborne said in March #AutumnStatement
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

The only way to win in the future is to change minds and listen to those who are suffering. Trump is not the cause, he is a symptom. That he has chosen to align himself with unsavoury and some downright racists is beyond lamentable, but as I said no use in fighting yesterday's battles. Especially using the same tactics that lost. Using language like deplorables, racist and other liberal go to phrases has, IMO, lead to Trump as much as economic decline. The same is true here for all of those Northern industrial towns that backed Brexit.

Fighting tomorrow's battles against the same opponents will require new tactics and much more humility than Clinton's camp showed.

I completely agree. But this is PB and minds are not going to be changed. Truths, though, can and should be spoken.

[
    Given you think Trump is a race-baiter [despite being rather feted by Blacks for decades before running for POTUS] - how do you explain that significantly more Muslims, Latinos and Blacks voted for him than any other GOP candidate? Oh and apparently gays too?

Were they too stupid - or more informed than you? I see your views as rather peculiar and flying in the face of US residents that had a vote.

Hillary was a very poor candidate. People vote for a variety of reasons. But that does not stop Trump being a racebaiter, I'm afraid. There is a reason why he was endorsed by the KKK.

That final sentence has stuck you on my Stupid Useful Idiot List.

Of course it has :-D

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,625
    Patrick said:

There are three of them.
    1 - To get the budget in surplus in the next parliament, and borrowing down to 2% by the end of this parliament.

As a proportion of GDP. It already is. This statement is unnecessarily negative.
  • Options
    ''As a proportion of GDP. It already is.''

Is Eeyore setting himself an artificially low bar here?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

There are three of them.

As a percentage of GDP?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I think we can file the "fiscal mandate" in the same category as the 50p top rate of tax.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@TelePolitics: Borrowing forecasts for 2018-19 are now £46.5bn. That's a 117% increase from the £21.4bn Osborne said in March #AutumnStatement

The deficit hawks will be posting about magic money trees.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Patrick said:

As a % of GDP?
    Yes. Just confirmed.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

Other people can speak for themselves. Personally, I feel pretty detached from the politics of a foreign country, whereas I don't feel so detached from politics in my own country. Corbyn is a threat to me and mine in a way that a foreign politician isn't. Unquestionably, Trump has said some awful things, but that's not going to alter the result.

Donald Trump is going to have much more affect on you and yours than Jeremy Corbyn ever will.

Neither Republicans nor Democrats align very well with my own political views.

I dislike the way Republicans engage in electoral shenanigans, pander to racists, are opposed to abortion in almost every circumstance, prioritise corporate welfare, and support creationism. I dislike the way Democrats champion illegal immigration, enforce political correctness, support affirmative action, and support abortion in almost every circumstance.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

There are three of them.

Presumably as % of GDP, so deficit must be smaller than growth?
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Hopefully the affect of not starting World War 3. For which I can forgive Trump, boorish and at times disgraceful as his behaviour is, a lot.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I think most of us did, but collectively we probably made more on Brexit.

Indeed. As noted earlier, once PBers "knew" the market was wrong, killings were made
    As the chap who edited PB on the evening of GE 2015, Brexit, and the US Presidential election 2016, you'll notice my threads I called a Tory majority, a Leave victory, and Trump as POTUS well before Betfair and the mainstream media.

I still think a Tory majority at nearly 2/1 on Betfair after Nuneaton was a reflection of punters watching the likes of the BBC/ITV/Sky News and listening to the talking heads.
    Not listening. Just watching the ticker with "Projection: Con 320".
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pulpstar said:

I'm not watching it but I backed Hammond to be the next CoTE because he is precisely the sort of dull accountant this country needs at the top job.

fixed it for you...
  • Options
    Surely these deficit numbers are a projection based on a projection of growth.

And of course we know how accurate most economists have been with their projections in recent months.
  • Options

Patrick said:

There are three of them.

Presumably as % of GDP, so deficit must be smaller than growth?
    Nominal growth, which is why this is unnecessarily negative. With 2-3% inflation we need to hit 1-1.5% growth for net debt to fall. I don't see any scenario where it rises to 90% of GDP.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

[

Hillary was a very poor candidate. People vote for a variety of reasons. But that does not stop Trump being a racebaiter, I'm afraid. There is a reason why he was endorsed by the KKK.

That final sentence has stuck you on my Stupid Useful Idiot List.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOx8q3eGq3g
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@JolyonMaugham: A £46.5bn deficit in 2018/19 where just 18 months ago the Manifesto promised a surplus. A spectacular deterioration in public finances.

The finances are improving. Just not at the rate previously intended.
  • Options
    Did anybody genuinely believe Osborne's deficit reduction targets for a magical surplus by 2020? Honestly? I certainly didn't.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Nikki Haley has been named US ambassador to the UN. A decent pick.

Foreign policy experience plus clean hands of there is a domestic disaster in next 4 years.

Presidential candidate if Trump steps aside. Secretary of State if he doesn't. Smart lady.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072
    £450 million for a digital signalling trial on the railways (if I heard the figure correctly) is nothing. ISTR they spent more than that on the aborted signallng update scheme on the WCML ten years ago.
  • Options
    Philip Hammond showing some real sass today
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

The problem isn't Trump who I don't think cares about race, sexuality or anything like that. It's the people who have since been picked forbbig jobs. Jeff Sessions is a spectacularly poor pick, there is compelling evidence that he is prejudiced against blacks. Bannon seems like a caricature who sings Onward, Christian Soldiers to his children as lullabies.
    I like Onward, Christian Soldiers.
    Me too - and Jerusalem. Was happy to belt it out at a Labour conference I attended whilst at school!
    I like Abide with me.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

I dislike the way Republicans engage in electoral shenanigans, pander to racists, are opposed to abortion in almost every circumstance, prioritise corporate welfare, and support creationism. I dislike the way Democrats champion illegal immigration, enforce political correctness, support affirmative action, and support abortion in almost every circumstance.
    I think I'd be a Western-type Republican.
  • Options
    Who is on the Lab front bench between McDonnell and Corbo?
  • Options

Did anybody genuinely believe Osborne's deficit reduction targets for a magical surplus by 2020? Honestly? I certainly didn't.

The reduction gradient was way too steep from March. Even so this is ridiculously shallow, either there is going to be a massive, massive increase in spending or they are expecting a recession. There is no way net debt increases to those levels.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I think most of us did, but collectively we probably made more on Brexit.

Indeed. As noted earlier, once PBers "knew" the market was wrong, killings were made
    As the chap who edited PB on the evening of GE 2015, Brexit, and the US Presidential election 2016, you'll notice my threads I called a Tory majority, a Leave victory, and Trump as POTUS well before Betfair and the mainstream media.

I still think a Tory majority at nearly 2/1 on Betfair after Nuneaton was a reflection of punters watching the likes of the BBC/ITV/Sky News and listening to the talking heads.
    Not listening. Just watching the ticker with "Projection: Con 320".
    That too.
  • Options
    So, no £350 million extra a week for the NHS then?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Rebecca Long-Bailey.

Shadow Chief Secretary also a Corbynite from the start.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Hammond was on the grown ups side in the referendum.
  • Options
    There is no way net debt increases to those levels.

I feel a 2019 tax cut war chest coming on....
  • Options
    This really does feel like the chancellor is setting a very low bar for Brexit to be called a success. Take the hit now while Labour can't take advantage and then have the finances slowly improve due to Brexit either "not as bad as expected" or "the government got such a good deal we have upgraded the forecast".
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

A Reagan Republican, made in California? Not my politics but makes absolute sense as a political creed in the US.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    MP_SE said:

PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

snip

[

If you knew your political history you would know that Reagan was also endorsed by the KKK. So the fact they endorsed Trump is not particularly significant.
    IIRC there are about 8000 KKK members in the USA. From a population of 325m.

There are probably more people who are into black dwarf disabled sex porn.

Anyone who uses this pathetic group of sad losers as a yardstick for anything deserves derision.

That the KKK were created by the Democrats in the South as a result of Republicans abolishing slavery seems to pass them by - along with Senator Bird who Hillary hugged. He was a Klansman before he changed his mind decades ago. There's nothing on Sessions from decades ago either.

Sessions got segregation abolished in many Alabama schools, campaigned successfully for the death penalty of a Klansman re murder of black teen and advocated for Rosa Parks.

Still, let's not let facts get in the way of a good smear. PBers who claim to be keen on facts, aren't so keen on those that don't fit their prejudices.

Good grief.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

When something motivates you to speak up there are options for what you say:
    1. Just say what you want to say, get it off your chest. Emote.
    2. Think a bit about your audience, tailor your emoting a bit to them.
    3. Think what actual outcomes or actions you wish to induce from your audience and tailor your words logically and precisely to optimise the chances that that is what you'll get. No emoting at all. But it may SEEM that way.

Lefties and Hillary C are always in box 1. You're a racist, Trump's douchebag, nobody decent can vote Trump, etc, etc. It feels awesome to emote. It's also electorally utterly counterproductive. The Deplorables simply hear 'you hate me too'. Hers was a 100% box 1 campaign.

Trump gives me every impression of living entirely in box 3. He's a zen master of trolling and chain-yanking. I think his 'gaffes' and tweets are very carefully thought through. The bien-pensant crowd misunderstimate him at their peril (to quote another one they misunderestimated!). Trump's was a 100% box 3 campaign

Glad you reposted that - I honestly can't understand how smart people here can't see it. It smacks me in the face everytime he does it.

Every tweet is designed to distract/dead cat/create a trap/troll/cause an emotional response.

And yet 90% of Leftists and NeverTrumpers fall straight into outrage/call him stupid.

Their entire reaction is predicated on their evidence free comfort blanket that a billionaire property developer/14 series reality star [how many last that long?]/non-politico killed off 16 professional rivals and now POTUS Elect ...is a nitwit.

Yeah, right. It's all some weird thing that's entirely unconnected with his talent for connecting with people/business nous over 70yrs. And they think they're smarter sat in the chairs of their cubicles - good grief.

He's clearly smart. He is also a crook, a sexual predator, a friend to white supremacists and anti-semites, a mocker of the disabled and a liar. In your world, that is not a problem. You like him for it. But other people don't. You are just going to have to accept that and live with it. Not everyone snuggles up to race-baiters.

Carry on believing what suits you, Hillary lost. I could expend pixels listing her failings too.
    Do you think he'll win in 2020, and if so, why?

Personally, I expect him to lose spectacularly. I wouldn't be overly surprised if he's not even nominated if he goes on reneging on campaign promises as he has this last fortnight.
  • Options
    This doesn't sound like an Autumn Statement prepping for a 2017 general election.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Rebecca Long-Bailey.

Ah, makes sense. Thanks. Amazing how little I know of the shadow cabinet now...
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

A Reagan Republican, made in California? Not my politics but makes absolute sense as a political creed in the US.
    Yep. I'd prob be a bit more fiscally conservative than him though.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

This really does feel like the chancellor is setting a very low bar for Brexit to be called a success. Take the hit now while Labour can't take advantage and then have the finances slowly improve due to Brexit either "not as bad as expected" or "the government got such a good deal we have upgraded the forecast".

Yup - and also makes clear that there will not be an early election.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2016
    From the Guardian live blog:

Hammond says this investment will provide the backbone to the government’s industrial strategy.

He will double UK Export’s financial capacity.

He will take a step towards the problem of UK start-ups being snapped up by larger competitors by investing £400m, with a view to unlocking £1bn of investment.

This is rearranging the magazines in UK plc's reception area.

Not that he has any spare cash to do much more, to be fair.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

There are three of them.

Falling as a % of GDP would square with 1 assuming growth hold up
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited November 2016
    French National Front performance in presidential (PR), regional (RE) and European parliamentary (EP) elections this century:

PR 2002a 17% (2nd)
    PR 2002b 18%
    RE 2004 15% (3rd)
    EP 2004 10% (4th)
    PR 2007a 10% (4th)
    EP 2009 6% (6th)
    RE 2010 11% (3rd)

Jan 2011 Marine takes over

PR 2012 18% (3rd)
    EP 2014 25% (1st)
    RE 2015 28% (1st)

Can she make PR2017 into a warmup for Frexit? It being understood that people will only get to vote on Frexit if she wins the PE.

Figures for UKIP in general elections and European parliamentary elections:

GE
    2001 1.5%
    2005 2.2%
    2010 3.1%
    2015 12.6%

EP
    1994 1.0%
    1999 6.7%
    2004 16.1%
    2009 16.6%
    2014 27.5%

(Brexit referendum 2016 51.9% Leave)
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

When something motivates you to speak up there are options for what you say:
    1. Just say what you want to say, get it off your chest. Emote.
    2. Think a bit about your audience, tailor your emoting a bit to them.
    3. Think what actual outcomes or actions you wish to induce from your audience and tailor your words logically and precisely to optimise the chances that that is what you'll get. No emoting at all. But it may SEEM that way.

Lefties and Hillary C are always in box 1. You're a racist, Trump's douchebag, nobody decent can vote Trump, etc, etc. It feels awesome to emote. It's also electorally utterly counterproductive. The Deplorables simply hear 'you hate me too'. Hers was a 100% box 1 campaign.

Trump gives me every impression of living entirely in box 3. He's a zen master of trolling and chain-yanking. I think his 'gaffes' and tweets are very carefully thought through. The bien-pensant crowd misunderstimate him at their peril (to quote another one they misunderestimated!). Trump's was a 100% box 3 campaign

Glad you reposted that - I honestly can't understand how smart people here can't see it. It smacks me in the face everytime he does it.

Every tweet is designed to distract/dead cat/create a trap/troll/cause an emotional response.

And yet 90% of Leftists and NeverTrumpers fall straight into outrage/call him stupid.

Their entire reaction is predicated on their evidence free comfort blanket that a billionaire property developer/14 series reality star [how many last that long?]/non-politico killed off 16 professional rivals and now POTUS Elect ...is a nitwit.

Yeah, right. It's all some weird thing that's entirely unconnected with his talent for connecting with people/business nous over 70yrs. And they think they're smarter sat in the chairs of their cubicles - good grief.

He's clearly smart. He is also a crook, a sexual predator, a friend to white supremacists and anti-semites, a mocker of the disabled and a liar. In your world, that is not a problem. You like him for it. But other people don't. You are just going to have to accept that and live with it. Not everyone snuggles up to race-baiters.

Carry on believing what suits you, Hillary lost. I could expend pixels listing her failings too.

Personally, I expect him to lose spectacularly. I wouldn't be overly surprised if he's not even nominated if he goes on reneging on campaign promises as he has this last fortnight.
    What has he reneged on so far?
  • Options

£450 million for a digital signalling trial on the railways (if I heard the figure correctly) is nothing. ISTR they spent more than that on the aborted signallng update scheme on the WCML ten years ago.

You can do quite a bit with that actually.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Didn't realise that there were plans for a 'super connection' between Oxford and Cambridge
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Rebecca Long-Bailey.

There's only one shadow cabinet you need to know about, Richard Burgon, my 100/1 tip now trading as low as 20/1.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hammond was on the grown ups side in the referendum.
    Childish and churlish.
  • Options

From the Guardian live blog:

Hammond says this investment will provide the backbone to the government’s industrial strategy.

He will double UK Export’s financial capacity.

He will take a step towards the problem of UK start-ups being snapped up by larger competitors by investing £400m, with a view to unlocking £1bn of investment.

This is rearranging the magazines in UK plc's reception area.

Not that he has any spare cash to do much more, to be fair.

Indeed. £10bn and we're talking.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Rebecca Long-Bailey.

There's only one shadow cabinet you need to know about, Richard Burgon, my 100/1 tip now trading as low as 20/1.
    Did he ever find anyone in the city to meet with?
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Didn't realise that there were plans for a 'super connection' between Oxford and Cambridge

It is the only way of improving Oxford, by learning from the awesomeness of Cambridge.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

It's just refurbishment of an existing line iirc.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

MP_SE said:

PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

snip

[

If you knew your political history you would know that Reagan was also endorsed by the KKK. So the fact they endorsed Trump is not particularly significant.

Anyone who uses this pathetic group of sad losers as a yardstick for anything deserves derision.

That the KKK were created by the Democrats in the South as a result of Republicans abolishing slavery seems to pass them by - along with Senator Bird who Hillary hugged. He was a Klansman before he changed his mind decades ago. There's nothing on Sessions from decades ago either.

Sessions got segregation abolished in many Alabama schools, campaigned successfully for the death penalty of a Klansman re murder of black teen and advocated for Rosa Parks.

Still, let's not let facts get in the way of a good smear. PBers who claim to be keen on facts, aren't so keen on those that don't fit their prejudices.

Good grief.

Hmmm - surprisingly you seem not to be fully aware of Jeff Session's record. Whoever would have thought it?

• Options
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, rip up your 2017 election betting slips.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    MaxPB said:

Blue_rog said:

Road isnt it? Presumably to help everyone who studies at Cambridge to get to Oxford easier....?
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

It is the only way of improving Oxford, by learning from the awesomeness of Cambridge.
    Just for you, TSE:

https://issuu.com/oxfordalumni/docs/oxford-today-digital-edition-mich-2?e=4233363/39578177
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Scott_P said:

The finances are improving. Just not at the rate previously intended.
    As long the economic cycle stays relatively benign. If that turns sour (eg a 3 way tariff war between EU inc Uk vs Trumpland vs China) then we may well be up a creek without a paddle.
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

Just for you, TSE:

https://issuu.com/oxfordalumni/docs/oxford-today-digital-edition-mich-2?e=4233363/39578177
    I burst out laughing when that landed on the doormat a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    Ah. Looks like Hammond has put down a marker for the triple-lock there.
  • Options
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Blue_rog said:

Road isnt it? Presumably to help everyone who studies at Cambridge to get to Oxford easier....?
    Isn't it refurbishment of the Varsity Line? Makes more sense than a road.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, rip up your 2017 election betting slips.
    £18 laid @ 2.77 here.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    edited November 2016
    Dromedary said:

French National Front performance in presidential (PR), regional (RE) and European parliamentary (EP) elections this century:

PR 2002a 17% (2nd)
    PR 2002b 18%
    RE 2004 15% (3rd)
    EP 2004 10% (4th)
    PR 2007a 10% (4th)
    EP 2009 6% (6th)
    RE 2010 11% (3rd)

PR 2012 18% (3rd)
    EP 2014 25% (1st)
    RE 2015 28% (1st)

Can she make PR2017 into a warmup for Frexit?

GE
    2001 1.5%
    2005 2.2%
    2010 3.1%
    2015 12.6%

EP
    1994 1.0%
    1999 6.7%
    2004 16.1%
    2009 16.6%
    2014 27.5%

Unlikely because the FN is very transfer unfriendly. Look at the French Departmental elections last year (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_departmental_elections,_2015). Despite being the leading party in the opinion polls for them, they ended up with just 62 seats out of 3,000, because in the second round that got hammered everywhere.

I want to put this in context for a second.
    The Communist Party got 1.3% of the vote in the first round, one twentieth of what the FN got. But the Communists ended up with twice the number of seats. Les Republicains supporters voted Communist in the second round rather than FN.

I would also point of that the Front National is polling exactly the same now as it was then; i.e c.30%.
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

Just for you, TSE:

Hush you. We win on the science front.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

(...)RE 2015 28% (1st)

I should have added

RE 2015b 27% (2nd)

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Blue_rog said:

Maybe we're talking about different things. He specifically mentioned express way:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/oxford-to-cambridge-expressway-strategic-study-interim-report
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Blue_rog said:

It's a road. If they had any sense they'd extend it to Swindon. As it is, it looks like a flash new road for Dons to travel on.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

MP_SE said:

PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

snip

snip

[
    snip

Good grief.

Hmmm - surprisingly you seem not to be fully aware of Jeff Session's record. Whoever would have thought it?

I'm very well aware of it. That's the thing about being on the unfashionable side - we have to read rather than smear. Go on - tell me what horrors Sessions has in the cupboard are. Not innuendo or smears - just provable facts.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    tlg86 said:
    Stewart Wood would have a point if Labour had handed over public finances that were in balance.

Otherwise, it's like handing someone a burned out building, and boasting that for the thirteen years prior to that the building was intact.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The reduction gradient was way too steep from March. Even so this is ridiculously shallow, either there is going to be a massive, massive increase in spending or they are expecting a recession. There is no way net debt increases to those levels.
    Seems to the cynic in me that he is deliberately not being optimistic in his forecasts here so that in future years he can surpass his forecasts.

Brown and Osborne (only time I'll include those together) had the unfortunate habit of being overly optimistic and then failing to meet their targets.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Awww - that'd be JFK

Harry Cole
    This is ace from @BBCJLandale - https://t.co/o0eWCFw0Gi In 1961 a President Elect lobbied for his choice of UK ambassador after NYC meeting https://t.co/rqn3EI0vXn
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Blue_rog said:

Maybe we're talking about different things. He specifically mentioned express way:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/oxford-to-cambridge-expressway-strategic-study-interim-report
    They're looking into them as part of the same thing. The East-west rail project has been about for yonks, and they're working on the western end atm. The problem with the old Varsity Line is between Bedford and Cambridge, where there are various obstructions on the line, including some radio telescopes.

Coincidentally this is where the major bottleneck on the Oxford to Cambridge road is - the A428 from Caxton Gibbet to the A1 (the A1 itself needs upgrading in that area). Upgrading the existing roads to an 'expressway' standard (and I think they're deliberately avoiding using 'motorway') is much needed.

It's likely that the two schemes will be looked at together, even if they sadly take different routes. Why sadly? A Cambourne railway station would be nice!

Opening up land for housing is also part of it, especially at this (Cambridge) end.
  • Options
    I don't like Philip Hammond, these tax on perks is very unfair
  • Options
    Unfortunate but possibly revealing error:
    https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/801410207985319936
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Blue_rog said:

Seems rather pointless to me, a fast rail link (30 minute direct journey) makes a lot more sense to me.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Dromedary said:

PR 2002a 17% (2nd)
    PR 2002b 18%
    RE 2004 15% (3rd)
    EP 2004 10% (4th)
    PR 2007a 10% (4th)
    EP 2009 6% (6th)
    RE 2010 11% (3rd)

PR 2012 18% (3rd)
    EP 2014 25% (1st)
    RE 2015 28% (1st)

Can she make PR2017 into a warmup for Frexit?

GE
    2001 1.5%
    2005 2.2%
    2010 3.1%
    2015 12.6%

EP
    1994 1.0%
    1999 6.7%
    2004 16.1%
    2009 16.6%
    2014 27.5%

Unlikely because the FN is very transfer unfriendly. Look at the French Departmental elections last year (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_departmental_elections,_2015). Despite being the leading party in the opinion polls for them, they ended up with just 62 seats out of 3,000, because in the second round that got hammered everywhere.

I want to put this in context for a second.
    The Communist Party got 1.3% of the vote in the first round, one twentieth of what the FN got. But the Communists ended up with twice the number of seats. Les Republicains supporters voted Communist in the second round rather than FN.

I would also point of that the Front National is polling exactly the same now as it was then; i.e c.30%.
    Yes indeed. I think she needs to sell the line that if you want Frexit, then vote for her in the first round, and she needs to get a big score in the first round, if not a majority than maybe 45%+. To be in with a big chance she will probably need to be at least close to 40% in the polls. But a lot can happen in a week, and if she can nail her colours on to it somehow... The "Arab question" looms.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

- Prosecuting Hillary
    - Paris Climate deal withdrawal
    - The Wall (or it not necessarily being a wall)
    - Repealing Obamacare

To name a few.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Blue_rog said:

Seems rather pointless to me, a fast rail link (30 minute direct journey) makes a lot more sense to me.
    Both would be great.

Ox to Cam is a right trek either way at the moment.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    I don't think he's mentioned Brexit at all yet
  • Options
    Hammond knows less about the interwebs than Corbyn shock: "My ambition is for the UK to be a world leader in 5G. That means a full-fibre network"

5G is wireless, not fibre.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

- Prosecuting Hillary
    - Paris Climate deal withdrawal
    - The Wall (or it not necessarily being a wall)
    - Repealing Obamacare

To name a few.
    And that is all before the first week as President Elect.

He dumps promises faster than the Brexiteers dump the NHS...
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Awww - that'd be JFK

Harry Cole
    This is ace from @BBCJLandale - https://t.co/o0eWCFw0Gi In 1961 a President Elect lobbied for his choice of UK ambassador after NYC meeting https://t.co/rqn3EI0vXn

Quite ironic given JFK's father's performance as US ambassador in London and how he got the well-deserved order of the boot in 1940.

A president-elect of one country who pushes publicly for his favoured person to become another country's ambassador in his own country really doesn't understand stuff. Donald "I want, so why can't I get" Trump.

The line that "there's no vacancy" is very soft. It should be "Britain chooses its own ambassadors". Without consulting the host countries. Well, except if the host country is the Holy See or Israel.
  • Options

Hammond knows less about the interwebs than Corbyn shock: "My ambition is for the UK to be a world leader in 5G. That means a full-fibre network"

The backhaul is fibre
  • Options

The backbone would have to run off a fibre network because 5G doesn't have as good coverage as 4G or 3G.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

I don't think he's mentioned Brexit at all yet

Buzzword bingo is a very trappy market.
This discussion has been closed.