Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In today’s unique national primary French Republicans are voti

124»

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    MaxPB said:

I've worked with some BBC technical bods in the past on projects. They're excellent, and have developed great tech. If they get the managerial backing they can do amazing stuff (or if they skunkworks it).

Like the £100 million digital media project that they had to abandon after trying to reinvent the wheel when they could have just brought a solution of the shelf?
    I didn't say they were perfect. ;)

Didn't ?Siemens? (or ?Fujitsu?) also have trouble with the same project? It'd be interesting to read up on exactly went wrong - I'm presuming mismanagement rather than hard technical issues.

But seriously: the BBC tech bods I've worked with have been excellent.
    The problem isn't and has never been the tech teams or even the production teams. It's the dead hand of management that chokes everything creative at the BBC. How does HBO produce world class TV on less than half the annual budget? How does Netflix commission the best global shows? How does Amazon TV end up being able to fund tentpoles like TGT?

They all run a massively tight ship. The BBC could dump all of their daytime shit and just show repeats of older shows instead and invest the savings in top end drama and documentaries like Netflix.
    Pretty much agree with that. But how much are BBC tied by the charter?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Britain seems to be lucky again, Fillon has a Welsh wife and is an anglophile.

Brexit negotiations might become even easier.

These past 2 weeks with Trump and Fillon have been very good for the british international position.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    edited November 2016
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966
    Well Juppe isn't going to win the run off, so surely its Fillon vs Le Pen now ?

£200 on Filon at 1.66 to try and rescue the position :/ !
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Speedy said:

These past 2 weeks with Trump and Fillon have been very good for the british international position.

Never trust a female Briton who has married a Frenchman. ;)
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    The biggest mistake that he did was to allow everybody to vote in his party's primary, it became a mini-GE.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I've worked with some BBC technical bods in the past on projects. They're excellent, and have developed great tech. If they get the managerial backing they can do amazing stuff (or if they skunkworks it).

Like the £100 million digital media project that they had to abandon after trying to reinvent the wheel when they could have just brought a solution of the shelf?

Didn't ?Siemens? (or ?Fujitsu?) also have trouble with the same project? It'd be interesting to read up on exactly went wrong - I'm presuming mismanagement rather than hard technical issues.

The problem isn't and has never been the tech teams or even the production teams. It's the dead hand of management that chokes everything creative at the BBC. How does HBO produce world class TV on less than half the annual budget? How does Netflix commission the best global shows? How does Amazon TV end up being able to fund tentpoles like TGT?

They all run a massively tight ship. The BBC could dump all of their daytime shit and just show repeats of older shows instead and invest the savings in top end drama and documentaries like Netflix.
    In my experience, public sector bodies are quasi-autonomous non-governmental organisations first, and businesses second. And the businesses they tend to emulate are the traditional pyramidal corporations of old.

A good chunk of any public sector body seems to be just as interested in promoting, or acting as an advocate for, government policy as yet another arm of the civil service.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Fillon is going to be the next President of France, it's one of those weird things were the primary election is more important than the general.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited November 2016

Pulpstar said:

Well well more shit polling.

Shy Fillonistas?
    The Left came out in much bigger numbers than the polling showed (basically doubled). Perhaps these are late-deciders who went for Fillon as he was gaining in the polls.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Don't chase a bad position. I lose money every time I do that.

He's probably a marginal lay right now, anyway.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Speedy said:

Not called Ffion I assume?
  • Options
    Will Juppe now do a Leadsom?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Pulpstar said:

I'm not punting on this. I'm not convinced I have any edge vs the market.

I wish I'd learnt french!
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Fillon is going to be the next President of France, it's one of those weird things were the primary election is more important than the general.
    Hmm. I'm not so sure. But glad I piled into Fillon early this morning thanks to a poll that was mentioned here on PB.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I think Filon will go tighter yet.
  • Options

What a good idea. As I'm red on him.
  • Options

He's not a mother, surely?
  • Options
    Fillon has a reputation as a bit of an anglophile, and his wife is Welsh, but I'm not sure that means an awful lot in France.

Maybe it means France won't be a complete dick to the UK next year after the election, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Options

You mean give a crap, insensitive interview, then deny saying something outrageous for a couple of days?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I think Filon will go tighter yet.
    I think you're right, but I'm not backing him at this price.

Not until I see some new polling.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,953
    Speedy said:

I'm sure some Remainers will have some tale of woe re: Fillon up their sleeves....
  • Options
    Transfers would have to break more than 5-1 for Juppe, can't see it myself.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/gillesverdez/status/800430842636107777

Another polling failure. What does that say about the polling for the big one?

Only speak schoolboy French, had to check naufrage; it's a cracker, much better than the English.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Sarkozy was a crap president

It remains to be seen if Fillon has a plan for France
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Speedy said:

I'm sure some Remainers will have some tale of woe re: Fillon up their sleeves....
    No, it's good news if a sympathetic French President is willing to give us breathing space to rethink. :)
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,205

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

If you have bets on anyone other than Murray being SPOTY, I rather suspect that you have lost your money.

Some of us went large on muzza at better than evens...
    I'm still counting the BBC going all PC and doing all they can to get Laura over the line.
    I'm on team Laura.
    Trouble with Murray is he's won twice already. Really, despite the Davis Cup win, I thought he shouldn't have won last year, when he'd actually had a disappointing season. Jess ennis deserved to win a Spoty for career achievement and all round good eggness and coming back from childbirth to win the Worlds was a great achievement. Still I think she's a knocking ew bet this time although she won't win.

If Lil Laura is in contention, I'm not sure why Jason Kenny isn't. He doesn't pursue it maybe.

Still think Brownlee could win - career achievement and good sportsmanship - and he's approaching value now.
  • Options

Fillon has a reputation as a bit of an anglophile, and his wife is Welsh, but I'm not sure that means an awful lot in France.

Maybe it means France won't be a complete dick to the UK next year after the election, but I'm not holding my breath.

https://www.fillon2017.fr/2016/06/28/brexit-intervention-assemblee-nationale/

His Brexit position is for a quick and amicable divorce and to remain friends with Britain.
  • Options
    Alain Juppe = Jeb Bush.
  • Options
    Belatedly, I see Merkel is running again after being Chancellor for 11 years and CDU leader for 16 years.

Bit like Maggie saying in 1990 she wants to go on until 1994/1995, and being applauded for it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alain Juppe = Jeb Bush.

Well Jeb has never gone to jail.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Belatedly, I see Merkel is running again after being Chancellor for 11 years and CDU leader for 16 years.

Bit like Maggie saying in 1990 she wants to go on until 1994/1995, and being applauded for it.

Kohl was chancellor for 16 years.. perhaps the Germans like a bit of stability?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Speedy said:

Not called Ffion I assume?
    Penelope
  • Options
    So this primary is lot like AV isn't it?

Bottom candidate gets eliminated, until there are but, and the one that gets over 50% wins.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Mortimer said:

Speedy said:

No, it's good news if a sympathetic French President is willing to give us breathing space to rethink. :)
    he's irrelevant, the only thing that matters is Merkel is standing again

France will what it's told
  • Options
    RobD said:

Let's bloody hope so.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052

He's described himself as Thatcher's biggest fan.
  • Options

Bottom candidate gets eliminated, until there are but, and the one that gets over 50% wins.

Well Sarkozy has declared himself out, so that is ~ 21% of the vote going spare. Filon only needs another 7 odd %.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

His Brexit position is for a quick and amicable divorce and to remain friends with Britain.
    But he has French domestic politics to contend with.

It's a small positive, but not a decisive one.
  • Options
    RobD said:

They do, because of past experiences, they hate instability, that's why they'll agree to things like grand coalitions.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Alain Juppe = Jeb Bush.

Well Jeb has never gone to jail.
    Alain "batterie faible" Juppe?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    I still say that Fillon will be swallowed by Marine Le Pen in the GE but we shall see.
  • Options

She wants to break Kohl's record of 16 years, the only one who could have stopped her, due to the collapse of social democracy, was the CSU.

In theory as long as the CDU/CSU/SPD/FDP get 50%+ she can remain Chancellor for life, a bit like the Presidents of the Stans (Kazakstan, Uzbekistan ect).
  • Options

RobD said:

They do, because of past experiences, they hate instability, that's why they'll agree to things like grand coalitions.
    Sickening!
  • Options
    So Sarkozy for Strictly next year?
  • Options

What's better than one FPTP election? Two FPTP elections! :D

Oh, my coat?
  • Options
    I've just realised this Martin bloke on I'm a celebrity is Alan partridge
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Sickening!
    Just think if were like the Germans, in 2010 we would have had a grand coalition of Labour and the Tories.
  • Options

I've just realised this Martin bloke on I'm a celebrity is Alan partridge

No, no, no. *I'm* Dr Martin Harris!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

12 was enough for Hitler, though as I recall he did not go quietly.
  • Options

Speedy said:

In France the President is King (because since the reform of 2002 they always win a majority in Parliament too).
  • Options

I fear you're in Public School Tw@t mode!

Only one vote cast per round, NOT like AV!
  • Options
    MikeK said:

I still say that Fillon will be swallowed by Marine Le Pen in the GE but we shall see.

Sadly, I think you may be right. I'm betting accordingly. Green on a run-off between LePen and Fillon.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    Sandpit said:
    Not that I care that much, but I haven't the slightest idea what Labour stand for if they're ejecting Benn.

• Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

In France the President is King (because since the reform of 2002 they always win a majority in Parliament too).
    What happened in 2002?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Sickening!
    Just think if were like the Germans, in 2010 we would have had a grand coalition of Labour and the Tories.
    Hurray for FPTP.

I couldn't imagine a worse outcome than a Brown-Osborne coalition government.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Speedy said:

Is his wife an Anglophile or a celtophile though?
  • Options
    If his wife is Welsh, and he's French, then that means they must really hate the England rugby team.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    RobD said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

What happened in 2002?
    They changed it from a 7 year term to a 5 year term to coincide with the French Parliamentary elections, so effectively the person who wins the Presidency also wins Parliament and has absolute power.

Before that you had the strong possibility the post of President and PM go to different parties because the elections were held at different years.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060

PM'ed you.
    Replied, with thanks.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Sickening!
    Hurray for FPTP.

Or Osbrowne for short ;)
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

What happened in 2002?
    They changed it from a 7 year term to a 5 year term to coincide with the French Parliamentary elections, so effectively the person who wins the Presidency also wins Parliament and has absolute power.
    Oh, like in the US? I wonder if they have done any studies into split voting.
  • Options
    Huzzah, Hammond is continuity Osborne.

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/800454504646934528
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Speedy said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Sickening!
    Hurray for FPTP.

Or Osbrowne for short ;)
    Oh, that's what that meant.
  • Options
    New thread!
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,953
    rcs1000 said:

I think he has some competition from our very own posters for that one...
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    MikeK said:

Ooohhhh error
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Huzzah, Hammond is continuity Osborne.

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/800454504646934528

Osborne's last budget was so disastrous it cost him his job and that of his boss.

Which also means an early election will probably be off because of Hammond messing things up.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,339
    Looks like Mr Fish has sunk to the bottom, almost.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    rcs1000 said:

and wants to stop gay people adopting orphans? or wrong?
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    chestnut said:
    Where's St Bob?
This discussion has been closed.