Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why Corbyn and his fans should be hoping Trump wins the White

Comments

• Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

weejonnie said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

I've just seen report from latest IBD is showing +13 lead with Catholics.

Anyone got the data?

Trump is +14 with Protestants, but +4 with Catholics.

http://www.investors.com/politics/ibd-tipp-presidential-election-poll/

Clinton winning 65+ by 4 points.

lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!
    Trump leads by 1% overall today though with IBID TIPP so with the LA Times he now leads two national polls, however he does not lead Colorado or Pennsylvania in any polls and they are the key states to get to 270 for both candidates. It confirms my view that there is a real chance Trump wins the popular vote but a Trump Electoral College win is unlikely
    That will mean a popcorn session!
    The question for many will be whether it will be sweet or salty popcorn.
    And Trump won’t be able to claim it’s fixed, because the system used is that decided by the Founding Fathers.
    The people who Made America Great!
    I don't think he'll claim its fixed (unless it really is and evidence emerges) but there could be several re-counts if close.

What WILL be interesting is if there are lots of stories of voters asking for paper ballots. That would suggest possible increased support for Trump.

The first complete result is announced at 00.01 am Eastern Time (4.00am GMT Tuesday) (sort of like Sunderland rushing to be the first to declare) -but that is purely symbolic. The winner is likely to be declared 24 hours later.
    Indiana and Kentucky will be first to declare, any swing to Trump from 2012 will tell you it could be tight nationally, if there is a swing to Clinton it tells you she has probably won relatively comfortably
    I would be looking at major differences from the current polls as well.

Curently Nate has Trump +12.1 Indiana and +19.1 Kentucky
    Romney won Indiana +10.2 and Kentucky +22.7
    Certainly if Trump has a bigger than expected win in Kentucky that will suggest the white working class have come out for him, Pence may help him in Indiana which may produce a slightly higher than average swing

From the polls it looks like Clinton's vote may well be down in heavily leaning states...NY/California...... But they have the luxury of not voting because it doesn't matter.

Clinton's vote could be more efficient this time than Obama's
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

Blue_rog said:

I've died and been consigned to some sort of hell. Bremoaners to one side and suddenly electable Corbin on the other. The horror the horror

I doubt McDonnell and Corbyn, even if they implemented the most left wing platform for two terms of government, could inflict the kind of economic chaos that Brexit ideologues have created in a matter of months......

Brexit ideologues are simply zenophobic thugs and mindless numbskull vandals of the lowest kind. Populist morons.

And there was me trying to be nice.........
    Please don't be misled by the febrile nature of the postings on here. In my daily life, no-one has ever mentioned anything about the referendum since the immediate period after the result was known. During that immediate post-referendum period, I met one person who was clearly shocked by the result and was reassuring himself that the outcome was only advisory. I met no-one who expressed anything other than a mild interest one way or the other. I don't think it's raising the national mood to fever pitch, whatever the newspapers might be saying. At least, not out here in the sticks (Devon).
    Very true.
    It is an underlying issue where I work (local authority, Brexit voting large provincial town) because it has resulted in a lot of economic uncertainty. Are people in a fever about it? No. It's a point of discussion. People think that life will just go on. I don't think that people will be rioting on the streets. There is certainly a minority fringe of leave voters who would be willing to go on a riot but most people would probably accept the decision even if it was reversed. There would probably be a greater unrest if people cant afford food, petrol etc and start losing their jobs, which perversely is quite likely if Brexit goes ahead. I still think the decision should be implemented because I believe in democracy, but also that the consequences that people experience is directly linked to Brexit and those that advocated it.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, Hulkenberg can be excellent in heavy rain at Interlagos too.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

nunu said:

This is also bad.As much as I don't like Trump. If you're gonna have early voting, have it in all.

Kevin Cate – ‏@KevinCate

Only 16 of 67 Fla. counties are early voting today, & in big Clinton areas including Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, Orange, Hillsborough

It's an artifact of America's schizophrenic decentralisation . In NC early voting location in heavily democratic counties have been closed and reduced massively, 14 locations down to 1 in one instance. In Florida the counties hot having early.voting today are Republican ones that have chosen not to as Dems are more likely to early vote.
    Letting politicians near the election process itself is bonkers, does anywhere else have such partisan interference in the running of elections?
    There was a recent congressional election where Dems got most votes but Reps got most seats due to the highly partisan boundaries. It's what makes 2020 such an important election, new districts after the census.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,062
    Murray on match point!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

weejonnie said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Anyone got the data?

Trump leads by 1% overall today though with IBID TIPP so with the LA Times he now leads two national polls, however he does not lead Colorado or Pennsylvania in any polls and they are the key states to get to 270 for both candidates. It confirms my view that there is a real chance Trump wins the popular vote but a Trump Electoral College win is unlikely
    And Trump won’t be able to claim it’s fixed, because the system used is that decided by the Founding Fathers.
    I don't think he'll claim its fixed (unless it really is and evidence emerges) but there could be several re-counts if close.

What WILL be interesting is if there are lots of stories of voters asking for paper ballots. That would suggest possible increased support for Trump.

The first complete result is .
    Indiana and

Certainly if Trump has a

From the polls it looks like Clinton's vote may well be down in heavily leaning states...NY/California...... But they have the luxury of not voting because it doesn't matter.

Yes, that again is why I think Trump is more likely to win the popular vote than the electoral college. He will likely make it closer in big blue states like NY/California and tight in reasonably large blue states in the rustbelt and upper Midwest like Pennsylvania, Michigan and Minnesota and Wisconsin without quite winning them while Hillary may narrowly win Florida and Colorado and Nevada due to the Hispanic turnout there
  • Options
    nielh said:

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

Blue_rog said:

I've died and been consigned to some sort of hell. Bremoaners to one side and suddenly electable Corbin on the other. The horror the horror

I doubt McDonnell and Corbyn, even if they implemented the most left wing platform for two terms of government, could inflict the kind of economic chaos that Brexit ideologues have created in a matter of months......

Brexit ideologues are simply zenophobic thugs and mindless numbskull vandals of the lowest kind. Populist morons.

Please don't be misled by the febrile nature of the postings on here. In my daily life, no-one has ever mentioned anything about the referendum since the immediate period after the result was known. During that immediate post-referendum period, I met one person who was clearly shocked by the result and was reassuring himself that the outcome was only advisory. I met no-one who expressed anything other than a mild interest one way or the other. I don't think it's raising the national mood to fever pitch, whatever the newspapers might be saying. At least, not out here in the sticks (Devon).
    Very true.
    It is an underlying issue where I work (local authority, Brexit voting large provincial town) because it has resulted in a lot of economic uncertainty. Are people in a fever about it? No. It's a point of discussion. People think that life will just go on. I don't think that people will be rioting on the streets. There is certainly a minority fringe of leave voters who would be willing to go on a riot but most people would probably accept the decision even if it was reversed. There would probably be a greater unrest if people cant afford food, petrol etc and start losing their jobs, which perversely is quite likely if Brexit goes ahead. I still think the decision should be implemented because I believe in democracy, but also that the consequences that people experience is directly linked to Brexit and those that advocated it.
    It is the sort of thing that wouldn't have an immediate impact, but would cause such a collapse of faith in the system that it could spring up again in destructive and unexpected ways several years down the line.

If the elite stop believing in democracy when they lose, the working class will follow shortly afterwards. That way lies the road to hell.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,062

Murray on match point!

And wins the Paris Masters.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    RobD said:

weejonnie said:

Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

weejonnie said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Anyone got the data?

The first complete result is announced at 00.01 am Eastern Time (4.00am GMT Tuesday) (sort of like Sunderland rushing to be the first to declare) -but that is purely symbolic. The winner is likely to be declared 24 hours later.
    Indiana and Kentucky will be first to declare, any swing to Trump from 2012 will tell you it could be tight nationally, if there is a swing to Clinton it tells you she has probably won relatively comfortably
    The polls in parts of both those states close at 11pm GMT.
    Isn't that 5pm local time?

There's a really serious need for impartial voting rules and boundaries in the US, without politicians involved in the process.
    In one or two states (which cross time zones), the Media may call the result while there is still an hour left to vote in parts of the state.
    Totally unlike the UK, where you barely know there is an election going on based on the news reports!
    Well there's only one closing time and the television media have to be neutral during the day.

True story. A friend of mine and some fellow university students were asked to take an 'exit poll' during one election - with data passed up for analysis. He and they felt that being inside a pub was more comfortable and so made educated 'guesses' as to what would happen at different times.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited November 2016
    Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

nunu said:

This is also bad.As much as I don't like Trump. If you're gonna have early voting, have it in all.

Kevin Cate – ‏@KevinCate

Only 16 of 67 Fla. counties are early voting today, & in big Clinton areas including Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, Orange, Hillsborough

It's an artifact of America's schizophrenic decentralisation . In NC early voting location in heavily democratic counties have been closed and reduced massively, 14 locations down to 1 in one instance. In Florida the counties hot having early.voting today are Republican ones that have chosen not to as Dems are more likely to early vote.
    Letting politicians near the election process itself is bonkers, does anywhere else have such partisan interference in the running of elections?
    There was a recent congressional election where Dems got most votes but Reps got most seats due to the highly partisan boundaries. It's what makes 2020 such an important election, new districts after the census.
    But won't the new 2020 districts end up just as gerrymandered as the current districts, due to everyone involved in the process having either an (R) or a (D) after their name? And because it's always been like that, the chance of both sides agreeing a truce with the appointment of an impartial administrator is precisely zero.
  • Options
    Heads up for 8pm on BBC1 - Sir David Attenborough's Planet Earth 2 series
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Yes, that again is why I think Trump is more likely to win the popular vote than the electoral college. He will likely make it closer in big blue states like NY/California and tight in reasonably large blue states in the rustbelt and upper Midwest like Pennsylvania, Michigan and Minnesota and Wisconsin without quite winning them while Hillary may narrowly win Florida and Colorado and Nevada due to the Hispanic turnout there

@Hyfud

Thats plausible...would be bad for the US. If Trump loses narrowly, or even loses narrowly but wins the popular vote...that will fuel the base and make it almost impossible for GOP to try and move on from this catastrophic election for them...

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Is the BBC's "Premier League Table" page being (not) updated by a Chelsea fan?
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/premier-league/table
  • Options

Murray on match point!

And wins the Paris Masters.
    Our BRITISH tennis hero!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072
    AnneJGP said:

MTimT said:

AnneJGP said:

MTimT said:

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

Blue_rog said:

Please don't be misled by the febrile nature of the postings on here. In my daily life, no-one has ever mentioned anything about the referendum since the immediate period after the result was known.

During that immediate post-referendum period, I met one person who was clearly shocked by the result and was reassuring himself that the outcome was only advisory. I met no-one who expressed anything other than a mild interest one way or the other.

I don't think it's raising the national mood to fever pitch, whatever the newspapers might be saying. At least, not out here in the sticks (Devon).
    If the worst comes to worst we can always come to live in Devon, drink some tea, eat scones (with far too much clotted cream), watch the Archers, and Strictly. I'll be out later trying to stop the badger cull of course......
    I don't think the Archers is on television. (Would have added a smiley but I believe you don't like them.)
    As a kid, I believe I did spend most of each episode looking at the radio while listening. Is that watching the Archers?
    Interesting observation. One does look at the point the voice/sound is coming from. Traditional distraction technique, I believe.
    BTW, which part of Devon. Born in Plymouth, went to Plympton Grammar (now Hele's School) before setting off on my never-ending travels.
    Teignbridge, Newton Abbot constituency.
    This week I discovered my dad wooed my mother in Teignmouth, and on their first date he damaged his car on a pub wall in Bishopsteignton.

I feel traumatised. I have more in common with SeanT than I feared!
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Heads up for 8pm on BBC1 - Sir David Attenborough's Planet Earth 2 series

I've long given up on nature docs....I find them too depressing...... What with global warming, habitat destruction, over fishing, hunting, intensive farming, rearing of meat products, and poaching....we are making life extremely tough for mother nature (and all that delightful flora and fauna) to co-exist with us.....
  • Options
    YouGov: Clinton 48.2% Trump 43.7%

https://today.yougov.com/us-election/
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

MTimT said:

AnneJGP said:

MTimT said:

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

Blue_rog said:

Please don't be misled by the febrile nature of the postings on here. In my daily life, no-one has ever mentioned anything about the referendum since the immediate period after the result was known.

During that immediate post-referendum period, I met one person who was clearly shocked by the result and was reassuring himself that the outcome was only advisory. I met no-one who expressed anything other than a mild interest one way or the other.

I don't think it's raising the national mood to fever pitch, whatever the newspapers might be saying. At least, not out here in the sticks (Devon).
    If the worst comes to worst we can always come to live in Devon, drink some tea, eat scones (with far too much clotted cream), watch the Archers, and Strictly. I'll be out later trying to stop the badger cull of course......
    I don't think the Archers is on television. (Would have added a smiley but I believe you don't like them.)
    As a kid, I believe I did spend most of each episode looking at the radio while listening. Is that watching the Archers?
    Interesting observation. One does look at the point the voice/sound is coming from. Traditional distraction technique, I believe.
    BTW, which part of Devon. Born in Plymouth, went to Plympton Grammar (now Hele's School) before setting off on my never-ending travels.
    I went as far as Newton Abbot last month, doing the rail line from Westbury through Exeter. Saw the sea wall at Dawlish :)
  • Options

*Checks betting slips*

Please be less than 5% between them on the day!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,583
    Chris said:

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

Blue_rog said:

Very true.
    Yes - among "normal" people knowing the name of your MP is considered somewhere between being a political expert, a nerd or a "bit strange"
    A normal person did mention Brexit to me last week. She said "What's happening about this Brexit, then? I haven't heard anything about it for ages."
    Another "normal" person asked me (as the office political expert/nerd/weirdo) why Boris Johnson was Foreign Sec. (he'd just seen BoJo on the BBC 24 rolling news at reception) while he was Mayor of London... Yes, resident and working in London.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    Final national NBC/WSJ poll of '16 race
    Clinton 44
    Trump 40
    Johnson 6
    Stein 2

2way
    Clinton 48
    Trump 43

Nov 3-5, MOE +/- 2.7
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

nunu said:

Kevin Cate – ‏@KevinCate

But won't the new 2020 districts end up just as gerrymandered as the current districts, due to everyone involved in the process having either an (R) or a (D) after their name? And because it's always been like that, the chance of both sides agreeing a truce with the appointment of an impartial administrator is precisely zero.
    Quite, which is what makes it so important. Take a s tate legislature in 2020 and the side that does gets to lock in a decade long advantage.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

IanB2 said:

OT Polar Vortex will bring big winter freeze to the UK with -14C temperatures expected:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-polar-vortex-big-9206579

If true, it'll be interesting to see how gas and 'leccy supplies hold up.

(cues RCS)
    They'll be fine, of course.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Just sorted Wednesday off! Will be up with the all night crew in Tuesday now. Come on Clinton, don't fuck up now.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Final Yougov EUref poll had it Remain +4, it now has Clinton ahead by 4.5%
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,898
    "If Trump can win the Presidency then Corbyn can become Prime Minister"

It reminds me of the time Frank Muir was asked what a cow and a robin had in common and he said the only thing he could think of is that they both have four legs except for the robin which has two
  • Options

nielh said:

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

Blue_rog said:

Very true.
    It is the sort of thing that wouldn't have an immediate impact, but would cause such a collapse of faith in the system that it could spring up again in destructive and unexpected ways several years down the line.

If the elite stop believing in democracy when they lose, the working class will follow shortly afterwards. That way lies the road to hell.
    Quite - it is the sort of thing where minds would be made up - in the background, as it were.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    in that poll below

Inside the crosstabs of 2way race:

Women: HRC 53, T 38
    AAs: HRC 86, T 7
    Latinos: HRC 65, T 20
    18-34: HRC 55, T 32
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    tyson said:

@Hyfud

'Thats plausible...would be bad for the US. If Trump loses narrowly, or even loses narrowly but wins the popular vote...that will fuel the base and make it almost impossible for GOP to try and move on from this catastrophic election for them...'

Indeed, Cruz would be in prime position for 2020 with maybe Pence a contendor too. However the GOP would almost certainly have held Congress in such a scenario, giving Hillary almost no mandate at all
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    MaxPB said:

Just sorted Wednesday off! Will be up with the all night crew in Tuesday now. Come on Clinton, don't fuck up now.

Lol I'd planned to book the wednesday off but some stuff came up later in November that I'm socially obliged to attend, so will be on the caffeine :D
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Ok, panic over.

The Kantar poll is a cross break of ST PCS- which is a work-based social demographic of low skilled, I think.

Incidentally Ladbrokes has push Juppé out to 4/6 on the strength of this (non)poll. If you didn't catch him at better odds, take it now.
    Betfair has Meléchon at 95 still, despite him being a close third in that poll. Le Pen at 7.8 is surely also value if she is actually close to 45%.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/#/politics/event/27360404/market?marketId=1.117179983
    Two weeks today, Juppe will top the first round of the LR primary, making the French election essentially over.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Trump will probably lose, but he will improve on Mitt Romney's electoral college vote - Iowa, Ohio gained & North Carolina lost.

Corbyn will be losing various Stoke seats, Derbyshire North East, almost certainly below 200 seats.

There is not ONE psephologist of any serious worth that has suggested Corbyn will even come CLOSE to winning, the situations aren't really ALL that comparable - Corbyn is going to lose, and Trump's probable defeat will be a result that UK Labour can only DREAM of getting.

Despite having a bet on Trump in Ohio I've suddenly got "The Feeling" that he's going to narrowly lose it.
    Its all about the great Jill Stein failure for me now(*)

* Well it would be if Paddy had let me have more than £7 on the bet :D
    Hmmm, that's interesting, they let me have more than £7 (10 Euros) on it. I wonder how much I can get on.

Can't find it on their site anymore, you got the link handy?

EDIT: Found it, not linked on their US Politics Page.
    Wait, I can cover 0-2% for a profit? This is free money people. Free money.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/us-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=2718595
    I would if I was allowed more than tuppence ha'penny on 0-1 :)
    @Pulpstar They've let me put on £30 so far. Just going to balance that out with the 1-2 band a little then see how much more I can get on.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

@Hyfud

'Thats plausible...would be bad for the US. If Trump loses narrowly, or even loses narrowly but wins the popular vote...that will fuel the base and make it almost impossible for GOP to try and move on from this catastrophic election for them...'

Indeed, Cruz would be in prime position for 2020 with maybe Pence a contendor too. However the GOP would almost certainly have held Congress in such a scenario, giving Hillary almost no mandate at all

GOP have to come out of this and re-invent themselves and build a candidate for 2020...that's certainly not Cruz, although you might be right and he ends up as Trump Mark 2
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

*Checks betting slips*

Does anyone have any real info on the quality of the GOTV operations for GOP/Dems this year? My guess is a very effective operation from the Dems and chaos from the GOP - based on past performance multiplied by the Trump/GOP establishment war.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited November 2016
    tyson said:

@Hyfud

tyson said :Thats plausible...would be bad for the US. If Trump loses narrowly, or even loses narrowly but wins the popular vote...that will fuel the base and make it almost impossible for GOP to try and move on from this catastrophic election for them...

I don't think so.....

Taniel ‏@Taniel
    CA's population has grown by 18% since 2004, but the *raw* number of registered Rs has gone down by 12%! Number of Ds has grown by 22%. Also wwc voters better spread in swing states than either Lationos or College educated whites.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Ok, panic over.

The Kantar poll is a cross break of ST PCS- which is a work-based social demographic of low skilled, I think.

Incidentally Ladbrokes has push Juppé out to 4/6 on the strength of this (non)poll. If you didn't catch him at better odds, take it now.
    Betfair has Meléchon at 95 still, despite him being a close third in that poll. Le Pen at 7.8 is surely also value if she is actually close to 45%.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/#/politics/event/27360404/market?marketId=1.117179983
    Two weeks today, Juppe will top the first round of the LR primary, making the French election essentially over.
    Complacency personified, this poll assumed Juppe was the LR candidate. Juppe is the epitome of the establishment, lacks charisma, has a shady past and Le Pen is running as a charismatic outsider with appeal to the white working and lower middle class while the media hates her, now what race does that remind you of? Juppe will be favourite but I think it will be a lot closer than you suggest
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

nielh said:

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

Blue_rog said:

Very true.

In the hierarchy of values that a free society needs to have I'd put equality before the law as number one, above democratic elections. Sadly that's something that many at the bottom no longer believe in. If that way lies the road to hell, I'm afraid we're already on it.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Sandpit said:

*Checks betting slips*

Can u bet in U.AE?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    On topic, why Corbyn and his fans should be hoping for the appearance of Santa Claus down their chimney this Christmas....
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

Blue_rog said:

Very true.
    Yes - among "normal" people knowing the name of your MP is considered somewhere between being a political expert, a nerd or a "bit strange"
    Went to one of those Christmas Day lunches for solo people a few years back. The local MP came to say Hello & Happy Christmas & generally show her face.
    I recognised her. When I was able to tell people who 'that lady' was, I did collect some odd looks.
    Sounds like a generous act by her.
  • Options
    Oh, and I see Scott_P bottled the manly gold sovereign bet. LOL.....
  • Options
    nunu said:

tyson said:

@Hyfud

tyson said :Thats plausible...would be bad for the US. If Trump loses narrowly, or even loses narrowly but wins the popular vote...that will fuel the base and make it almost impossible for GOP to try and move on from this catastrophic election for them...

I don't think so.....

Taniel ‏@Taniel
    CA's population has grown by 18% since 2004, but the *raw* number of registered Rs has gone down by 12%! Number of Ds has grown by 22%. Also wwc voters better spread in swing states than either Lationos or College educated whites.

Many of the wwc Trump appeals too are Democrats and as I said Trump could narrow the gap in Midwestern swing states without winning most of them while Hillary scrapes home in western swing states and Florida thanks to the Hispanic vote
  • Options
    nunu said:

That's a relief, I've done some money buying in California.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Are those actual choices, or 'adjusted' assumptions?
  • Options
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

@Hyfud

GOP have to come out of this and re-invent themselves and build a candidate for 2020...that's certainly not Cruz, although you might be right and he ends up as Trump Mark 2

If Hillary wins the GOP will not be picking an electable candidate until 2024, maybe Jeb's son the half-Hispanic George P Bush will challenge Kaine then, however in 2020 the base will blame a 2016 defeat on the establishment and Cruz will be ready to carry their torch again
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,140

Chris said:

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

Blue_rog said:

Very true.
    A normal person did mention Brexit to me last week. She said "What's happening about this Brexit, then? I haven't heard anything about it for ages."
    Another "normal" person asked me (as the office political expert/nerd/weirdo) why Boris Johnson was Foreign Sec. (he'd just seen BoJo on the BBC 24 rolling news at reception) while he was Mayor of London... Yes, resident and working in London.
    That does seem a bit surprising. I wonder if she had voted in the mayoral election.

I should add that my normal person was very surprised when I said it would be at least two years before we left the EU. She didn't seem to be aware that any negotiations would be involved.
  • Options
    Wow - Gina Miller calling the PM a tin pot dictator. She needs to calm down
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

MTimT said:

AnneJGP said:

MTimT said:

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

Blue_rog said:

I went as far as Newton Abbot last month, doing the rail line from Westbury through Exeter. Saw the sea wall at Dawlish :)
    One more stop and I could have bought you a veggie-burger and a green health shake in Totnes!
  • Options
    619 said:

in that poll below

Inside the crosstabs of 2way race:

I'm assuming young black Mexican women will be pretty solid for Clinton.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

AnneJGP said:

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

Blue_rog said:

Very true.
    Went to one of those Christmas Day lunches for solo people a few years back. The local MP came to say Hello & Happy Christmas & generally show her face.
    I recognised her. When I was able to tell people who 'that lady' was, I did collect some odd looks.
    Sounds like a generous act by her.
    Yes, I think it was. Photo-op & meeting voters notwithstanding, she still gave up part of Christmas Day to be on duty, as so many people are obliged to do.
  • Options
    Breaking news: Theresa May says she values judiciary's independence but government has "strong arguments" to appeal Brexit ruling

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37889197
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, did Miller have any explanation for her ridiculous rhetoric?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

weejonnie said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Anyone got the data?

Indiana and

Certainly if Trump has a

Until 1992 California had been a pretty reliable Republican state at Presidential elections.
  • Options
    I'm sticking my neck out for POTUS 2016.......

I'm going for 3 states to flip....North Carolina to Hillary and Iowa and Ohio for Trump...(although I'm still betting on Ohio in the blue column and think this could stay Red)

Vote share 47.5/43.5- a 4% lead for HRC....
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

weejonnie said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Anyone got the data?

Indiana and

Certainly if Trump has a

Yes, that again is why I think Trump is more likely to win the popular vote than the electoral college. He will likely make it closer in big
    Until 1992 California had been a pretty reliable Republican state at Presidential elections.
    True, Nixon won it in 1960 and Ford in 1976 when they both lost nationally, though the rising Hispanic vote there has changed its political leanings
  • Options

Thank goodness she didn't call Tessy an enemy of the people.
  • Options
    tyson said:

I'm going for 3 states to flip....North Carolina to Hillary and Iowa and Ohio for Trump...(although I'm still betting on Ohio in the blue column and think this could stay Red)

This is my thought too :)
  • Options

No - she just comes over as too full of her own importance. She is going to be very angry when the HOC overwhelmingly passes a simple authority to serve A50 in the early new year
  • Options

She didn't call Theresa anything.

She said, verbatim, "We do not live in a tin-pot dictatorship. We live in a country that has a sovereign parliament."
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    619 said:
    Don't approve of Prince William taking part in American elections, especially not with multiple votes.

:)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

You bottled the bet I offered. Suck it up
  • Options

Breaking news: Theresa May says she values judiciary's independence but government has "strong arguments" to appeal Brexit ruling

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37889197

And at the same time said she values the freedom of the press
  • Options
    nunu said:

Sandpit said:

*Checks betting slips*

Can u bet in U.AE?
    Betfair Exchange works, but most other conventional outlets are blocked by the authorities. A friend who lives near a couple of shops in the UK is very good to know though ;)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

I know...but I'm not copying you...honest.

I think you'll find JackW will go that way. It's just there are too many polls telling us the same story. This could actually be the most boring election in memory when the polls from months ago were telling us exactly what is going to happen and nothing has changed in the interim..except for a helluva lot of noise.
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, we'll see if that happens.
  • Options

Ladbrokes offer 6/4 on a 2017 general election. Evens for a general election before 1 January 2018 doesn't look appetising given that.

(No I'm not particularly interested in taking up your offer at 6/4 either, I'm on a 2017 election at 12/1 already)
  • Options

Sandpit said:

*Checks betting slips*

Does anyone have any real info on the quality of the GOTV operations for GOP/Dems this year? My guess is a very effective operation from the Dems and chaos from the GOP - based on past performance multiplied by the Trump/GOP establishment war.
    That's the conventional thinking, but so much convention has been turned on its head in the last 18 months I'll believe it on Wednesday morning!
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, I'd sooner check the Interlagos weather forecast and back Hamilton at 4 for the title if it's rainy.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Ok, panic over.

Complacency personified, this poll assumed Juppe was the LR candidate. Juppe is the epitome of the establishment, lacks charisma, has a shady past and Le Pen is running as a charismatic outsider with appeal to the white working and lower middle class while the media hates her, now what race does that remind you of? Juppe will be favourite but I think it will be a lot closer than you suggest
    Complacency? I have no skin in this game, I am just able to read polls.
  • Options

She said, verbatim, "We do not live in a tin-pot dictatorship. We live in a country that has a sovereign parliament."
    Her words were 'Everything she's said since the case is very much like a tin pot dictator and that she is frightened'.

She is inciting anger as much as Farage is - she needs to calm down
  • Options

Hmm. From "We do not live in a tin-pot dictatorship" to "Theresa May is a tin-pot dictator" seems a rather large jump, even for the hysterical fringe of this debate.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

You bottled the bet I offered. Suck it up
    £20. Tied up to 2020. Woooooo......

Sorry, I had rather assumed you'd be less squeamish about making big league bets.
  • Options
    o_O Vautour has died
  • Options

In view of Corbyn's volte face today and the noises coming from labour today I do not see labour obstructing A50
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Sorry, I had rather assumed you'd be less squeamish about making big league bets.

I assumed you had more faith in your wild assertions.

Now we know
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

o_O Vautour has died

Shame. He stood a good chance in the Gold Cup.
  • Options

Still, that's dreadfully disrespectful to the PM who is only doing her best to guide us through this difficult time: I mean she's even taken on the responsibility of keeping all the complicated Brexit machinations to herself so we don't have to be burdened with it. What a gal!
  • Options
    Chris said:

Hmm. From "We do not live in a tin-pot dictatorship" to "Theresa May is a tin-pot dictator" seems a rather large jump, even for the hysterical fringe of this debate.
    See my post at 5.35
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

o_O Vautour has died

That must be absolutely and profoundly heartbreaking for the stable.........

• Options
    Scott_P said:

I assumed you had more faith in your wild assertions.

Now we know
    You've killed my belief in wild assertions - as yours are so often wide of the mark....
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

nunu said:

Kevin Cate – ‏@KevinCate

Quite, which is what makes it so important. Take a s tate legislature in 2020 and the side that does gets to lock in a decade long advantage.
    http://www.redistrictinggame.org/
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Fiorentina have just scored....my windows almost shatter with the crowd noise when the wind blows my way.....
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Pulpstar said:

nunu said:

Where did you get your 'value' odds?
  • Options
    Mr. Tyson, could be worse. A nearby family are letting off many fireworks in their back garden. Fortunately the dog is unusually calm when it comes to fireworks (not perfect but pretty close).
  • Options

It is overblown, and does her no credit. However May wanted to start the A50 process in a way that the courts have now found illegal (though it could be reversed on appeal), and continuing down that route without legal authority would be the actions of a tin-pot dictator (*). But May's not doing that.

I know you want A50 started and Brexit to happen. So do I - and I believe it would be best for it to happen as soon as possible. But it has to be done lawfully.

It's not as if the court has said there should be no Brexit: they've just said that there needs to be parliamentary scrutiny. I fail to see why so many people think that's a bad thing.

(*) Besides, there's no sense in being a tin-pot dictator nowadays. Much better to go the Putin route and be a dictator with the semblances of democratic credibility whilst ruthlessly controlling the private state. This is the route Erdogan is also going down.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Ok, panic over.

Complacency? I have no skin in this game, I am just able to read polls.
    Even if this afternoon's poll was a rogue plenty of other polls have had Le Pen leading round 1 even with Juppe as the LR candidate and every poll has shown her doing significantly better in round 2 against Juppe than her father did against Chirac in 2002
  • Options
    tyson said:

Fiorentina have just scored....my windows almost shatter with the crowd noise when the wind blows my way.....

This is a great story - the "official" explanation is even more bizarre than UFOs!

"On October 27, 1954, a reserve game between Fiorentina and nearby rivals Pistoiese was under way at the Stadio Artemio Franchi when a group of UFOs traveling at high speed abruptly stopped over the stadium. The stadium became silent as the crowd of around 10,000 spectators witnessed the event and described the UFOs as cigar shaped. It was suggested that the most likely explanation was that the silk of mass migrating spiders had agglomerated high in the atmosphere."
  • Options

It is overblown, and does her no credit. However May wanted to start the A50 process in a way that the courts have now found illegal (though it could be reversed on appeal), and continuing down that route without legal authority would be the actions of a tin-pot dictator (*). But May's not doing that.

I know you want A50 started and Brexit to happen. So do I - and I believe it would be best for it to happen as soon as possible. But it has to be done lawfully.

It's not as if the court has said there should be no Brexit: they've just said that there needs to be parliamentary scrutiny. I fail to see why so many people think that's a bad thing.

(*) Besides, there's no sense in being a tin-pot dictator nowadays. Much better to go the Putin route and be a dictator with the semblances of democratic credibility whilst ruthlessly controlling the private state. This is the route Erdogan is also going down.
    Miller was very confrontational on Sky and is only stoking anger in much the same way as Farage is.

I absolutely agree with the HoC getting a vote on A50 as it is very unlikely to be defeated in view of the 75% or so of constituencies that voted leave. Of course the Supreme Court could reverse the decision
  • Options

In view of Corbyn's volte face today and the noises coming from labour today I do not see labour obstructing A50
    Labour will not obstruct A50 but all the skulduggery will begin after.

• Options
    edited November 2016

Pulpstar said:

nunu said:

Where did you get your 'value' odds?
    1-48 on Betfair at the moment.

Nate Silver has it as a 1-1000 chance.
  • Options

nielh said:

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

Blue_rog said:

Very true.
    :

...food, petrol etc and start losing their jobs, which perversely is quite likely if Brexit goes ahead. I still think the decision should be implemented because I believe in democracy, but also that the consequences that people experience is directly linked to Brexit and those that advocated it.

In the hierarchy of values that a free society needs to have I'd put equality before the law as number one, above democratic elections. Sadly that's something that many at the bottom no longer believe in. If that way lies the road to hell, I'm afraid we're already on it.
    Sadly that ship sailed long ago. Sailed and sank.

One of my Northern relatives puts it like this - not exactly his words but - "They've (the immigrants) have got their politicians. They get them favours - planning rules not applied, drop out of school in term time to do 'cultural enrichment' holidays, all that stuff. Don't blame 'em. It's all things we want. We want politicians like that - favours for *our* community."

The assumption is that communitarianism is the game now. And they want in as well.
  • Options

Once A50 is served negotiations will commence and it will only be a some later date that the outline of a deal will become apparent and it is correct at that time for the HoC to scrutinise the deal and options.
  • Options
    Mr. Malmesbury, plays into Rotherham again. Don't investigate that sort of thing, it might rock the 'cultural sensitivities' boat.
  • Options
    I presume it's already been commented on, but another similarity between Trump and Corbyn is of course their open disdain, bordering on contempt, for the mainstream media. This, following an era in which careful cultivation of the press had been regarded as an essential part of a successful election campaign.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274

Once A50 is served negotiations will commence and it will only be a some later date that the outline of a deal will become apparent and it is correct at that time for the HoC to scrutinise the deal and options.
    As I understand it the options will be:

1. Leave with the deal.

2. Leave with no deal.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,715
    Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

Just a touch closer and the Remainiacs will declare it indecisive and demand a new Election :-).
  • Options

I presume it's already been commented on, but another similarity between Trump and Corbyn is of course their open disdain, bordering on contempt, for the mainstream media. This, following an era in which careful cultivation of the press had been regarded as an essential part of a successful election campaign.

But Corbyn's isn't fuelled by a desire to set up his own media empire.

Is it?
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

I don't believe it for a second. Anyone remember a certain E Milliband's volte face?
  • Options
    MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

Just a touch closer and the Remainiacs will declare it indecisive and demand a new Election :-).
    Or the whinging leavers will be calling for a new election before the votes are counted. ;)

That was one of the funniest events in the run-up to the referendum - some leavers calling for another referendum because they thought they had lost. Their tune has somewhat changed ...
This discussion has been closed.