Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Zac ahead 56%-29% in first Richmond poll and seems to be getti

12346»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,171
    Dixie said:

Pulpstar said:

Trump won't gain any votes, but Hillary might lose a few.

agreed. She seems to have enough in the can...famous last words
    The only people who will get out of bed with any enthusiasm to vote for Hillary are white female college graduates, the rest are just voting for her as the lesser of two evils, this just adds another reason to make her look almost as bad as Trump for them and some may not bother. Trump's white bluecollar voters we know will turn out for him
  • Options

Lib Dems have been infiltrated by the Social Democrat Party and veered away from liberal principles.

Lib Dems need to return to Gladstone's Liberals.

Gladstonian liberalism consisted of limited government expenditure and low taxation whilst making sure government had balanced budgets and the classical liberal stress on self-help and freedom of choice. Gladstonian liberalism also emphasised free trade, little government intervention in the economy and equality of opportunity through institutional reform.

Gladstonian liberals are 21st century Tories.
    Gladstonian liberals are Orange bookers and Osbornian Tories.
    If there was a thorough redistribution of wealth so that everyone started with enough to stand on their own two feet then the Gladstonian position would be fine. The problem with classical liberalism was that people were literally left to starve - hence, Labour.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

USD falling off a proverbial cliff, traders worried that Clinton will be in trouble before election day.

Does this I can afford a MacBook again?
    If Trump wins then Apple might move to the UK!
    You'd have thought they would be happy about his plan to allow companies to repatriate all that cash stored abroad.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950

Sandpit said:

Bernie Sanders into 60, can lay at 65.
    Edit: 50/60

Incredible. Absolutely incredible. Only Kaine can be Dem POTUS if HRC drops out surely?
    It might get complicated, but yes that's my understanding. He's at 150.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

USD falling off a proverbial cliff, traders worried that Clinton will be in trouble before election day.

You'd have thought they would be happy about his plan to allow companies to repatriate all that cash stored abroad.
    Maybe, but not his plan to force US companies to use US labour for manufacturing and assembly.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,443

Sandpit said:

From 3,500 miles away, this re-opening of the enquiry into Hillary's email activities just 10 days prior to the POTUS elections looks to me like pure unadulterated politics and I'm hardly what you would describe as one of her greatest fans.

Clearly, but what's behind the reopening? Up until now, their critics would say that the FBI have gone out of their way to exonerate Clinton, in a way they wouldn't have done for anyone else. There must have been something come to light that makes all the other stuff look insignificant.

Is she about to get arrested, or is Comey about to resign?
    The FBI had better have some pretty damning new evidence, or this represents a terrifying intrusion into politics.
    I'm sure the FBI is well aware of the gravity of this intervention. Whatever it is must be utterly damning for Crooked Hillary.
    I haven't been following the email investigation so closely as it seemed like a storm in a teacup.

Looking at the story in the Guardian, Comey says:

“Although the FBI cannot yet assess whether or not this material may be significant and I cannot predict how long it will take to complete this additional work, I believe it is important to update your Committees about our efforts in light of my previous testimony.”

So he's not claiming a smoking gun. In God's name then, why ten days before an election? He should have taken emergency holiday leave.
    The FBI's reputation is now on the line. They're effectively saying Mrs Clinton is unfit for office.
    What are the lizard people doing? Surely they would have shut down the FBI's further nosing around if there was a chance they would stop the elite/goldman sachs/mainstream media candidate winning?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T: I see Apple have stopped selling the MacBook Air 11 inch on their website.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Pulpstar said:

Trump won't gain any votes, but Hillary might lose a few.

What do you call "a few"? 1 million, 2 milllion, 5 million, more?
    I have no idea :D

I've just dona quick graph of my profit by ECV - 250 - 270 ECVs for Hillary is the sweet spot.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Doesn't Clinton have a similar plan?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880

Sandpit said:

From 3,500 miles away, this re-opening of the enquiry into Hillary's email activities just 10 days prior to the POTUS elections looks to me like pure unadulterated politics and I'm hardly what you would describe as one of her greatest fans.

Clearly, but what's behind the reopening? Up until now, their critics would say that the FBI have gone out of their way to exonerate Clinton, in a way they wouldn't have done for anyone else. There must have been something come to light that makes all the other stuff look insignificant.

The FBI had better have some pretty damning new evidence, or this represents a terrifying intrusion into politics.
    I'm sure the FBI is well aware of the gravity of this intervention. Whatever it is must be utterly damning for Crooked Hillary.
    I haven't been following the email investigation so closely as it seemed like a storm in a teacup.
    On the most generous interpretation, Clinton = Nixon
    She's been bugging the offices of her rivals and uttering anti-semitic slurs and obscenity?

No, didn't think so.
  • Options

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I had not heard about it!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

“Although the FBI cannot yet assess whether or not this material may be significant and I cannot predict how long it will take to complete this additional work, I believe it is important to update your Committees about our efforts in light of my previous testimony.”

So he's not claiming a smoking gun. In God's name then, why ten days before an election? He should have taken emergency holiday leave.
    The FBI's reputation is now on the line. They're effectively saying Mrs Clinton is unfit for office.
    Let's see what they come up with. It better be good.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,620

Sandpit said:

1) The first level of criminality - that classified emails were mis-handled - is self evidently true. The FBI recommended against prosecution on the novel basis that while the law was broken and those who broke the law knew about the law... but it was OK because they didn't intend to break the law.

2) The second level is that emails were withheld deliberately - lying to investigators is a crime.

3) The third level is that the Clinton Foundation was a financial washing machine. Essentially Clinton took the money-for-acceess feature of American politics and turned it up to 11. Rather link Blair and the peerages.

FBI agents were apparently really un-happy about 1 and 2 - especially the sweatheart deals under which potential evidence was destroyed in return for cooperation. Then no cooperation.... The threat is, if I believe my American relatives (hard core Democrats from New York) that several agents will take early retirement and at the same time blow the whistle....

I am writing this as an American citizen (dual national) who wants Hillary to win. She is a crook, but I want her to win - anything rather than Trump.

The FBI has already politicised the investigation by managing, by heroic efforts, to ignore everything up til now.

Oh, and I reckon that Trump is probably worse in his dealings - clumsier to, probably.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Not sure it is as fixed as Trump's, but I seem to recall reading something about a 5% tax but also a deal to pump billions into a new infrastructure renewal bank or fund for new roads etc
  • Options

Lib Dems have been infiltrated by the Social Democrat Party and veered away from liberal principles.

Gladstonian liberalism consisted of limited government expenditure and low taxation whilst making sure government had balanced budgets and the classical liberal stress on self-help and freedom of choice. Gladstonian liberalism also emphasised free trade, little government intervention in the economy and equality of opportunity through institutional reform.

If there was a thorough redistribution of wealth so that everyone started with enough to stand on their own two feet then the Gladstonian position would be fine. The problem with classical liberalism was that people were literally left to starve - hence, Labour.
    Indeed, Disraelian Toryism was also far from laissez-faire either
  • Options
    Possibly what this does mean is that any hopes the Democrats had of regaining the Senate and / or House have been seriously diminished as, even if HRC does get elected, voters may decide they do not want to risk having HRC with no opposition. Betting opportunities for the Senate / House races?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited October 2016
    Oh 2016, please never end. It will be so boring without you.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Sandpit said:

Do Tell us where the FBI say this.. of course they are not.. So quick to damn, with nothing in front of you to make a judgement.. I guess you are a birther too...
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Not sure it is as fixed as Trump's, but I seem to recall reading something about a 5% tax but also a deal to pump billions into a new infrastructure renewal bank or fund for new roads etc
    Sounds sensible, a one-off amnesty whereby they can bring all that money back with a very small tax rate.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Sandpit said:

Not really. They have just notified Congress that new evidence of unkown significance has been drawn to their attention.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,148

Sandpit said:

On the most generous interpretation, Clinton = Nixon
    She's been bugging the offices of her rivals and uttering anti-semitic slurs and obscenity?

No, didn't think so.
    At this point, let's reserve judgment on which of them had a greater contempt for the law, Nixon or Clinton.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

What are the lizard people doing? Surely they would have shut down the FBI's further nosing around if there was a chance they would stop the elite/goldman sachs/mainstream media candidate winning?
    Word salad from a paranoid clown. Pathetic.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Not really. They have just notified Congress that new evidence of unkown significance has been drawn to their attention.

Wouldn't they have just kept quiet if it was of no significant? Or maybe they like to tease the Trumpers? :D
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    National Tracking - IPSOS/Reuters - Sample 1,158 - 27 Oct

Clinton 41.7 .. Trump 36.4

http://polling.reuters.com/#poll/TM651Y15_26/filters/LIKELY:1

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Sandpit said:

He has to inform congress as previously he had informed them that they had reviewed all e-mails.
  • Options

No they aren't.
  • Options
    Telegraph headline:

FBI probes newly discovered Hillary Clinton emails and reopens investigation - Trump hails news 'bigger than Watergate'

titter on the trump remark :D
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The only cliff I can see in USD GBP is 24-06-16 :D
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    "Law enforcement sources say the newly discovered emails are not related to WikiLeaks or the Clinton Foundation. They would not describe in further detail the content of the emails. It's also unclear whether the emails in question are from Clinton herself. " - CNN Website.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Mr. Wheel, I think ageing celebrities will be glad when 2016 ends.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

How can the FBI possibly work with this woman should she become President ? The message is loud and clear.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Tom Winter Verified account
    @Tom_Winter

NEW: NBC's Pete Williams reports that the e-mails Comey announced today were NOT originally withheld by Clinton or campaign.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

Sandpit said:

Do Tell us where the FBI say this.. of course they are not.. So quick to damn, with nothing in front of you to make a judgement.. I guess you are a birther too...
    Yes, he was a birther. He jumps on every mad far right cause going.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited October 2016
    MaxPB said:

It's basically flat on the day against GBP. Slightly more movement vs EUR. Yes, early movement based on US economic data, but that was arguably an overreaction. Hyperbole, much?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

1) The first level of criminality - that classified emails were mis-handled - is self evidently true. The FBI recommended against prosecution on the novel basis that while the law was broken and those who broke the law knew about the law... but it was OK because they didn't intend to break the law.

2) The second level is that emails were withheld deliberately - lying to investigators is a crime.

3) The third level is that the Clinton Foundation was a financial washing machine. Essentially Clinton took the money-for-acceess feature of American politics and turned it up to 11. Rather link Blair and the peerages.

FBI agents were apparently really un-happy about 1 and 2 - especially the sweatheart deals under which potential evidence was destroyed in return for cooperation. Then no cooperation.... The threat is, if I believe my American relatives (hard core Democrats from New York) that several agents will take early retirement and at the same time blow the whistle....

I am writing this as an American citizen (dual national) who wants Hillary to win. She is a crook, but I want her to win - anything rather than Trump.

The FBI has already politicised the investigation by managing, by heroic efforts, to ignore everything up til now.

Oh, and I reckon that Trump is probably worse in his dealings - clumsier to, probably.
    Thanks. Great summary.
  • Options
    Nate Silver tonight has Hillary winning 326 ECVs and heading south ..... I wonder what the spreadbetters will offer in the morning.
    This is the BIG STORY of the night and I'm afraid PB.com has been caught flat-footed, still leading on .... yawn .... Zac and Richmond Park.
  • Options
    JackW said:

National Tracking - IPSOS/Reuters - Sample 1,158 - 27 Oct

Clinton 41.7 .. Trump 36.4

http://polling.reuters.com/#poll/TM651Y15_26/filters/LIKELY:1

6% undecided, if they all went for Trump after this news next week he would have a narrow lead. More likely she scrapes home now but will be a nervous final few days for the Clinton camp
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    I think Trump's going to do it. The Obamas tried valiantly to carry Hillary over the line but their legs are buckling in the last mile under the weight of her baggage.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sounds sensible, a one-off amnesty whereby they can bring all that money back with a very small tax rate.
    or maybe they are political bettors and wanted to create some value on trump?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Apple are said to have something like $150bn in overseas profits outside the US. Uncle Sam's inability to co-operate wih international double-tax treaties mean they'll get hit for something like 25% if they bring it back. Apple have even issued corporate bonds to avoid bringing it onshore.

Several other multinational US-listed companies are in the same position. A 12 month 'amnesty' tax rate of say 10%, could potentially bring in $50-100billion (with a B) for Uncle Sam. That's a massive amount of money, a few hundred dollars for every American.
  • Options
    Lol

Michelle Obama has just moved in.

More likely to be pres than Pence according to the "Brains" at Betfair.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

No they aren't.
    For posterity, and my children reading this in the year 2525, I didn't say this! It was Moniker.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    I'm not ramping...but my instinct is telling me the FBI investigation is massive news....massive with a capital M. To do this ten days before the vote...it has to be.

Kaine is the man, if not Biden. God knows how it happens, but in rulebook chapter 50, clauses 3, sub clause 2.2....there you go....

This is not going to lead to a Trump victory for you righties....... Just in case you got excited
  • Options

Alistair said:

No they aren't.
    For posterity, and my children reading this in the year 2525, I didn't say this! It was Moniker.
    Oh yes they are..........it is now the FBI versus Hillary.

So close, yet so far.......

• Options
    Immediate reactions are not always the best when these stories break. I'd wait a bit before coming to any conclusions.
  • Options

Nate Silver tonight has Hillary winning 326 ECVs and heading south ..... I wonder what the spreadbetters will offer in the morning.
    This is the BIG STORY of the night and I'm afraid PB.com has been caught flat-footed, still leading on .... yawn .... Zac and Richmond Park.

Zac more likely to win Richmond than POTUS Hillary methinks.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited October 2016

Alistair said:

No they aren't.
    If man is still alive...

https://youtu.be/izQB2-Kmiic

In the year 3535 you won't need to think.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Oh yippee - does that mean we'll be able to buy fair-priced product?
  • Options

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Oh yippee - does that mean we'll be able to buy fair-priced product?
    I wouldn't count on it!
  • Options
    tyson said:

I'm not ramping...but my instinct is telling me the FBI investigation is massive news....massive with a capital M. To do this ten days before the vote...it has to be.

Kaine is the man, if not Biden. God knows how it happens, but in rulebook chapter 50, clauses 3, sub clause 2.2....there you go....

This is not going to lead to a Trump victory for you righties....... Just in case you got excited

Last time I looked Biden and Kaine are not on the ticket to be POTUS. SO rather a lot of people would have to write their name in.
  • Options
    (Trump drifiting back out again on Betfair 4.4 - 4.5 - Dead cat bounce?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Kaine still hovering around 200. Way more chance of him than Sanders (80) Biden (220) or Michelle Obama (600) actually becoming president, there's no realistic way it can be either of those last three names.

Betfair have matched something like £400k in the last hour.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,148
    edited October 2016

To be fair, the Richmond Park poll was news when it broke, because it crushed the LibDems and their five story house.... But yes, events have moved on.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Alistair said:

No they aren't.
    If man is still alive...
    Indeed. Terrible, terrible song. But it has stuck in my head since I first heard it on oldies stations in my youth.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    tyson said:

That requires Hillary to drop out, which she will never do being so close to being the first female president and as nominee she can't be forced out even if the DNC tried to it would hand Trump the election on a platter
  • Options

Alistair said:

No they aren't.
    Wow, it sounds like you have access to one hell of a sperm bank.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Kaine still hovering around 200. Way more chance of him than Sanders (80) Biden (220) or Michelle Obama (600) actually becoming president, there's no realistic way it can be either of those last three names.

Especially the last one. FFsake.
  • Options
    I think it's significant that people like Nikki Haley are now reluctant Trumpers. It will give the mainstream licence to get back on the Trump train.

https://twitter.com/GovMikeHuckabee/status/792037289178398721
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Apple are said to have something like $150bn in overseas profits outside the US. Uncle Sam's inability to co-operate wih international double-tax treaties mean they'll get hit for something like 25% if they bring it back. Apple have even issued corporate bonds to avoid bringing it onshore.

Several other multinational US-listed companies are in the same position. A 12 month 'amnesty' tax rate of say 10%, could potentially bring in $50-100billion (with a B) for Uncle Sam. That's a massive amount of money, a few hundred dollars for every American.
    No, corporate bonds are tax efficient. Interest payments are deductible. I agree that it looks odd in the context of repatriating offshore profits but the borrowing is a feature, not a bug.

Edit: an amnesty is easy but hardly a solution. That rests in Congress.
  • Options
    Obama distancing himself from Clinton - did not know about private server. (What on earth were his security staff doing not checking?) Clinton working out how she is going to lie explain her position regarding this story.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Right, I'm off. But don't forget P2 starts in 23 minutes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

That requires Hillary to drop out, which she will never do being so close to being the first female president and as nominee she can't be forced out even if the DNC tried to it would hand Trump the election on a platter
    The cynical view of this (which I and my American relatives consider quite possible) is that this is cover. If Trump wins, crucify Hillary. If Hillary wins, Obama pardons everyone.....
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited October 2016
    When you engage in industrial scale corruption and think that you are above the law it is only a matter of time before the house of cards comes crashing down.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Lol

Michelle Obama has just moved in.

..... into the White house, I thought she was already there!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

It's funny to watch. I managed to lay Sanders at 60 for a tenner. 1.8% back in 12 days - assuming all Hell doesn't break loose and the market get suspended for weeks pending some legal crap after the election!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Classical Liberalism (depends on who does the defining, of course) included lots of *help* for the poor.

Some might say unemployment *insurance* and state pensions were among the crowning achievements of the old school Liberal Party....
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    None of that means it couldn't be damaging; I doubt they would have said anything if the emails found on this device were not relevant to the investigation.

• Options
    Sporting's ECV market is still suspended. They clearly believe tonight's story is big news, even if PB's lefties don't.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

It's funny to watch. I managed to lay Sanders at 60 for a tenner. 1.8% back in 12 days - assuming all Hell doesn't break loose and the market get suspended for weeks pending some legal crap after the election!
    Bernie Sanders -2856.66 here *whistles*
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

If Hillary wins and was dragged out of the White House under indictment, irony meters would explode everywhere...

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/features/2015-11-05/how-richard-nixon-created-hillary-clinton
  • Options

Sporting's ECV market is still suspended. They clearly believe tonight's story is big news, even if PB's lefties don't.

Sorry Peter....I understand you've been ignoring my existence for the last few years...but I called the story as I saw it...

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    https://twitter.com/betdatapolitics/status/792068145066500097

Oh dear. Is it time to start stocking up on tinned food and building the fallout shelter yet?
  • Options

Oh dear. Is it time to start stocking up on tinned food and building the fallout shelter yet?

How did it not move the price?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

She is very glamorous though
  • Options

No, this means the new Cold War could be over before you can say, "We recognise that Crimea is part of Russia."
  • Options

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options

It's huge news. It's a gift to Trump and, understandably, the GOP is spinning it for all its worth. Whether what has actually happened justifies the hysteria is another matter, but the story is out, the headlines have been written and Hillary's campaign is suddenly in deep trouble.

• Options

Sandpit said:

Thanks, that's a great summary.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

Either it goes nowhere and Hillary gets a sympathy vote; or is it is a story and she stands aside for Kaine or Biden.....whichever, there is no path for the Donald.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Oh 2016, please never end. It will be so boring without you.

It's a shame jibjab have given up their year in reviews. This would be a doozy
  • Options

Immediate reactions are not always the best when these stories break. I'd wait a bit before coming to any conclusions.

Nor are your usual immediate reactions when England are not doing too well at cricket. David L realised this this morning.. with his tale of woe and hard times for England V India. It doesn't mean England are going to win, but 170-1 doesn't not mean 400 plus, it might it might not, and you never know what might happen in cricket.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited October 2016

Very interesting Black_Rook, that's one hell of a movement.
    After repeatedly [and gleefully] reporting on Hillary's steady climb up the greasy pole in the POTUS stakes, can we expect OGH to give equal prominence to this sharp downturn in her fortunes and how he sees this affecting the betting markets.
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options

Alistair said:

No they aren't.
    Editing on a phone sucks. And blows.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Classical Liberalism (depends on who does the defining, of course) included lots of *help* for the poor.

Some might say unemployment *insurance* and state pensions were among the crowning achievements of the old school Liberal Party....
    Indeed they were, but they were implemented post-Gladstone in the New Liberal period
This discussion has been closed.