Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Zac ahead 56%-29% in first Richmond poll and seems to be getti

Comments

• Options
    JackW said:

Jon Ralston on the early voting trends in Nevada - Much like 2012 - Obama +6

http://www.ktnv.com/news/ralston/the-nevada-early-voting-blog

Interesting snippet from Nevada on the county split - ties in with the debate re WWC & Trump:

"Rurals: The GOP had about a 10,500-voted lead in 2012 after the first week; it is more than 11,000 already this cycle. Watch the rurals." i.e. GOP have surpassed their 2012 1st week rural lead with two days to go.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    looks like nevada is going to cook trumps goose

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/792021827824545792
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Ukip has pledged its support for Zac Goldsmith in the upcoming Richmond Park by-election.
    The right-wing party stated it will not field a candidate against Mr Goldsmith, saying it agrees with his stance on the third Heathrow runway while praising his commitment to the Brexit campaign."

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/ukip-to-back-zac-goldsmith-in-richmond-park-byelection-a3380561.html
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,442

Mr. Llama, I agree. It's a waste of public money for a vacuous promise that was entirely unnecessary.

Surely PBers aren't objecting to a by-election? This is our meat and drink! Keep them coming I say :smiley:
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"Ukip has pledged its support for Zac Goldsmith in the upcoming Richmond Park by-election.
    The right-wing party stated it will not field a candidate against Mr Goldsmith, saying it agrees with his stance on the third Heathrow runway while praising his commitment to the Brexit campaign."

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/ukip-to-back-zac-goldsmith-in-richmond-park-byelection-a3380561.html

Why is UKIP against an extra runway?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146

Who will be squealing like a pig come November 9th?

I'm thinking of the lyrics to the moonshine-makers anthem, Copperhead Road:

"Well my name's John Lee Pettimore
    Same as my daddy and his daddy before
    You hardly ever saw Grandaddy down here
    He only come to town about twice a year"

And one of those was to vote for Donald Trump.....
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006

Barnesian said:

I have decided to spend the rest of the afternoon creating a Nate Silver type simulation of the Richmond Park by election based on a number of assumptions. I will do 1000 simulations and use a rectangular distribution (for ease) as, by the central limit theorem, the sum will approximate a normal distribution.

My assumptions are as follows:

LibDem will take between 10 and 12% off Lab and Green. (Lab/Grn totalled 18.2% last time).
    Zac will take 1-2% off UKIP (UKIP 4.2% last time but well down in latest poll)
    LibDem will switch 10-15% of the Tory vote on account of Brexit.
    Turnout for Zac will be 47-53%
    Turnout for LibDem will be 53-57% based on differential in enthusiasm.
    (NB Witney 46.8% turnout)

Applying the mean of all those assumptions gives the following result:

Zac 18,150
    LD 17,750

But there will be a spread of possibilities and that is what I want to investigate. I will also fine tune the assumptions as I get more info and insights. If there is any interest, I will publish the results.

Sounds interesting. But are the Greens standing? Zac is former editor of Ecologist and all that. Him and Caroline Lucas could work together on some stuff once he is returned as an independent Environmental-Conservative.
    Not sure if the Greens are standing. The skinny poll from the Standard showed most previous Greens switching to LibDem. Tiny sample though.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    Pulpstar said:

Patrick said:

Pulpstar said:

Patrick said:

Sorry to mention assassination again - but does anyone know what would happen if a candidate croaks once postal voting has already started?

Kaine or Pence would quickly head in from 1000.0 on Betfair would be my guess.
    But if votes are already cast for a dead candidate then the election is surely void? Don't they have to start again? Or does the VP candidate legally assume the full candidacy? Would make hanging chads look like a breeze.
    It'll depend on the state rules but remember, the voters aren't techinically electing the president; they're electing the electors. The true election will take place when the electoral college meets in the various state capitals. If a presidential candidate dies, then (again, subject to state rules), it'd still make sense to vote for the dead person on the assumption that their pledged electors will do something sensible and in line with the RNC/DNC opinion.

The presidential election is one election that can't be voided as such, as various aspects of it are laid down in the constitution. If the worst came to the worst, it'd get kicked to the House with the top three candidates going through.
    I'd be very surprised if it didn't go to the VP-elect, after all they were on the winning "ticket".
    I agree, though there'd be a reasonably significant chance that at least a few electors would ignore that 'advice' and pick someone else e.g. someone who ran for the nomination.

In all probability, if one candidate died, the other would win the election anyway as it's no doubt a lot harder to get the vote out for a dead candidate than a live one. But in the unlikely event that the dead candidate 'won' (or, alternatively, that they died between polling day and the Electoral College vote), state law may mandate enough Electors to vote as directed for void votes to mean that neither reaches 270.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

:smiley:

Little Green Mohammed
    Well you did call everyone who you don't agree with as Nazis .. I'm surprised you are bleating that he refused you https://t.co/Q1WuSJSPsh

Lily Allen
    Just tried to get in a black cab with my kids. The driver looked at me and said , 'find an immigrant to drive you you stupid tart'

Stone. Heart. Laugh.
    She probably asked him to take her south of the river after dark!
  • Options

"Yup.

PB liberals are their own worst enemy here - they detest Trump and the Deplorables and dismiss most of Hillary issues because it's inconvenient.

I can't be bothered with them and hence post less - if some want to bathe in self-righteousness and smuggery - and insult me too - why bother?

Let them group think :lol:

"

Keep going, Plato - we need a variety of opinions to make us see new things.

As your friend Socrates said in his trial "The most stupid people are those that think they know everything because they do not realise that they in fact know nothing" :)

What Socrates forgot was the non-elite of Athens had

- Just lived through the Thirty Tyrants
    - Noticed that the Thirty were strangely congruent with the pupils of Socrates.

I think Socrates knew alright; I am guessing he would have been a Remainer :)
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    @dugarbandier
    Deliverance is a masterpiece. It could only be done by a foreign director, the great John Boorman, and critiqued Vietnam brilliantly without you realising it. That 70's American cinema is sublime.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,608

Mr. Llama, I agree. It's a waste of public money for a vacuous promise that was entirely unnecessary.

Surely PBers aren't objecting to a by-election? This is our meat and drink! Keep them coming I say :smiley:
    The funny thing is that neither the people in Clacton or Haltemprice and Howden thought that their by-elections were unnecessary. There is precisely no evidence that the people of Richmond think so about theirs.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Exactly....look where we are now. And I for one remember your endless obsession with the EU.

I was going to continue that Brexit represents a much more profound shift than a Trump victory ever could because of the US constitution. In the UK we have relied on the stability of Parliamentary democracy to avoid extremism. Once that was bypassed through that ridiculous plebiscite, we have inadvertently let in extremist ideologues to trash the place up.

Extremist ideologies like....Theresa May? Hmmm......
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2016

Re the comparisons with Trump and Brexit - the big unstated reason why you get 6/1 on the day for Brexit was not because what the polls said or that undecideds would break for Remain etc but because there was an unsaid, but very powerful and snobby belief that Bob in his council flat would not get off his fat lazy ar*e and make it down to the polling station. All the voting experts pontificated that the plebs would not bother to vote. Rather a big miscalculation.

It seems to me that people are making the same, implicit snobbish comment on the US WWC in this election i.e. that Billy Bob is too high on methadone in his trailer to have registered and to have voted.

I think you're right. Many discussants stay inside intellectual debate world even when they consider and analyse demographics. Polls too may be biased against people in this group, who have a tendency not to take part in polls. And thus you get an echo chamber or a "filter bubble" to use a buzzphrase. In the US there is also the problem that commentators and media editors find it hard to understand anything that hasn't got a dollar sign in front of it. So they keep going on about how little Trump is spending, not comprehending the effect of his rallies and of his face and words on people's TV screens.

So yes, there's value in Trump at his current price of 5.25, and he may well win.

May I ask what you think a fair price would be at the moment?

Another point: during the Brexit campaigning, most commentators didn't comprehend just how important an issue immigration was. They were encouraged in their lack of understanding by pollsters who asked utterly stupid questions such as please tick which of these is most important to you: a) pressure on housing, b) employment problems, c) assimilation of refugees, d) pressure of immigration on the economy.
  • Options

Who will be squealing like a pig come November 9th?

I'm thinking of the lyrics to the moonshine-makers anthem, Copperhead Road:

"Well my name's John Lee Pettimore
    Same as my daddy and his daddy before
    You hardly ever saw Grandaddy down here
    He only come to town about twice a year"

And one of those was to vote for Donald Trump.....
    Well, I think to many of those people, this is their last stand for "their" America.

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Oh my word

A new email released by Wikileaks as part of the Podesta dump features Hillary ally Wendy Bronfein advising Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta on how to reach “f**king dumb” young people.

Marketing executive Bronfein tells Podesta that Clinton “may not be the best face” to attract younger voters and that she needs to utilize “trending figures” as par of an “infusion to pull younger voters” because “that’s the crap that young people pay attention to”.

Bronfein goes on to state, “It’s f**king dumb but being “cool” counts for more than it maybe should.”

She references Bill Clinton’s saxophone playing as an example of this before asserting, “I hate to generalize a generation but by social media nature, they “follow”. So if someone they identify as cool endorses – they will likely fall in line with that candidate.”

Drudge
    Campaign Struggles to Reach 'F*cking Dumb' Young People... https://t.co/XwEjtL4cUO
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    tyson said:

@dugarbandier
    Deliverance is a masterpiece. It could only be done by a foreign director, the great John Boorman, and critiqued Vietnam brilliantly without you realising it. That 70's American cinema is sublime.

it may be. it's not entertainment tho! I dunno, I just saw lots of unpleasant people doin unpleasant stuff to other unpleasant people. it was a long time ago, and I know little about vietnam, so you could well be right. I'm not really up for watching it again tho
  • Options
    Trump must win OH, NC and FL.

"The biggest problem for the Trump campaign is overall, where are you going to get 270?"

http://www.local10.com/news/national/donald-trumps-tough-path-to-the-white-house
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Interesting FT article — it's cheaper to fly to Canada to buy Apple products than buy them in the UK.
  • Options
    Henry Zeffman
    *Kremlinology alert* Philip Hammond was quietly made first secretary of state 10 days ago. Means he'll deputise at PMQs (h/t @robfuller91)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028
    Indigo said:

I confess to being a bit surprised at the Uber "employee" ruling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37802386

Presumably if they lose the appeal all Uber drivers will be required to open a Personal Service Company.
    nope that would mean they are caught by IR35 as they have been shown to be under supervision direction and control - so there would be zero point creating one.

For those who've paid attention to this area, this decision is going to be interesting to watch played out, especially as HMRC want money from those it deems to be employed.

It just confirms that UK employment law is a mess and a proper solution needs to be found.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    edited October 2016
    Mr. JS, sounds like a good business opportunity, no?

Edited extra bit: years ago I heard the same thing about saris[sp] and flying to India.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Goes with their general philosophy: If it wasn't needed in the fifties it isn't needed now.
  • Options

Mr. Llama, Goldsmith's keeping a promise he made.

Of course, the promise is damned silly, but there we are.

But he got elected on that promise with a massive majority. And now he has held to his end of the bargain. A politician who does what he has promised the voters. Crikey!

No wonder the LibDems want to chuck him out....
  • Options

"The biggest problem for the Trump campaign is overall, where are you going to get 270?"

Isn't that the only problem, for both campaigns?

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Oh my word

A new email released by Wikileaks as part of the Podesta dump features Hillary ally Wendy Bronfein advising Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta on how to reach “f**king dumb” young people.

Marketing executive Bronfein tells Podesta that Clinton “may not be the best face” to attract younger voters and that she needs to utilize “trending figures” as par of an “infusion to pull younger voters” because “that’s the crap that young people pay attention to”.

Bronfein goes on to state, “It’s f**king dumb but being “cool” counts for more than it maybe should.”

She references Bill Clinton’s saxophone playing as an example of this before asserting, “I hate to generalize a generation but by social media nature, they “follow”. So if someone they identify as cool endorses – they will likely fall in line with that candidate.”

Drudge
    Campaign Struggles to Reach 'F*cking Dumb' Young People... https://t.co/XwEjtL4cUO

Dunno. Seems a similar level of analysis to Ed 'I love Russell Brand' Miliband.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Oh my word

Drudge

What would you imagine Lynton Crosby's 2015 emails and texts would be like if they came to light?. What if they put a recording on at election HQ and released it?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    AndyJS said:

Interesting FT article — it's cheaper to fly to Canada to buy Apple products than buy them in the UK.

Except you have to pay import duties?
  • Options
    "I think you're right. Many discussants stay inside intellectual debate world even when they consider and analyse demographics. Polls too may be biased against people in this group, who have a tendency not to take part in polls. And thus you get an echo chamber or a "filter bubble" to use a buzzphrase. In the US there is also the problem that commentators and media editors find it hard to understand anything that hasn't got a dollar sign in front of it. So they keep going on about how little Trump is spending, not comprehending the effect of his rallies and of his face and words on people's TV screens.

So yes, there's value in Trump at his current price of 5.25, and he may well win.

May I ask what you think a fair price would be at the moment?

My own view is 2/1, especially given what we are seeing in some of the early voting trends. In a number of big, bellweather states in the East / Midwest (PA, OH, NC, even VA and MI) HRC needs a high turnout amongst AAs to offset favourable demographics for Trump amongst the White population. But we seem to be getting data from Ohio, NC and possibly VA suggesting AA turnout is sharply down.

While HRC will benefit from the Hispanic vote, realistically that only counts in NV, CO and possibly AZ (and, in the later, I think border issues will drive turnout amongst whites). I do not count FL, because its Hispanic population is more Cuban in nature, which is an entirely different phenomenon to Mexican etc immigrants.

• Options
    Dromedary said:

Depends whether you think Pennsylvania is in play.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

There's noone ever present at the "Green aisle" in Birmingham airport arrivals... :innocent face:
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

"Yup.

PB liberals are their own worst enemy here - they detest Trump and the Deplorables and dismiss most of Hillary issues because it's inconvenient.

I can't be bothered with them and hence post less - if some want to bathe in self-righteousness and smuggery - and insult me too - why bother?

"

As your friend Socrates said in his trial "The most stupid people are those that think they know everything because they do not realise that they in fact know nothing" :)

That's kind of you - I'm investing so much time in US politics because I believe - like Brexit - it's a pivotal change agenda. If Hillary wins - it's a huge shift for decades re SCOTUS and immigration that will alter the whole persona of the America I know and love.

I'm doing all I can to help those who feel this is a watershed and very dangerous culturally.
    I agree....keep going Plato. You add to the diversity here. But as you are aware, like me, you have to take the flak by having strong views and backing them up so vociferously.

FWIW.....I think the election of Trump presents a much more existential threat to the right in the USA because within 2 years the Democrats will have shut out all the levers of Government and left him isolated, and the GOP decimated.

Your SCOTUS fear is slightly paranoid. Those judges have a habit of becoming quite independent thinkers, and Hillary will in all likelihood pick moderates much like Obama. A Hillary victory gives the chance for GOP to regroup around someone like Paul Ryan, and come back. A Trump victory could sink the party within months.
    I remember when I was virtually the only eurosceptic on here, back in about 2005. I was certainly the only one who would bang on and on about it, understandably boring lots of other pb-ers. I would get scoffed at, yawned at, and Nick P would chortle at me, politely, and so forth.

And look where we are now.
    As I remember pbc in 2005, it was far more Eurosceptic than anything I encountered in real life - you, me, Sean Fear, Rik W, possibly Woody662 and Andy Cooke, various others - where pbc led, the country followed.
  • Options

Dromedary said:

I can't see how he'd win without it.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Henry Zeffman
    *Kremlinology alert* Philip Hammond was quietly made first secretary of state 10 days ago. Means he'll deputise at PMQs (h/t @robfuller91)

And a tear is shed at Osborne Towers....
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

That's what I thought as well. Can't get to the article myself.
  • Options
    F1: Verstappen's on fire:
    "I am down to the Red Bull garage and both rear brakes on Max Verstappen's car are on fire."

From BBC livefeed.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Oh my word

Drudge

Nowhere in that email does an Aide say 'Fucking dumb young people'.

Like come on.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Dromedary said:

I can't see how he'd win without it.
    New Hampshire & Nevada.

Certainly "As goes Pennslyvania, so goes the nation" would be a sensible conclusion though.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,608
    edited October 2016
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Koff, what you do is leave the box in Canada, and carry them on your person.

Although I'm not sure if Canadian iPhones will work here because of the different bands they use, nor will you be able to use the warranty or genius bar in the UK.
  • Options

JackW said:

Interesting snippet from Nevada on the county split - ties in with the debate re WWC & Trump:

"Rurals: The GOP had about a 10,500-voted lead in 2012 after the first week; it is more than 11,000 already this cycle. Watch the rurals." i.e. GOP have surpassed their 2012 1st week rural lead with two days to go.
    Invaluable stuff. Thanks.
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Well you are hardly going to declare it if you buy one are you? Obviously if you nip across and by a thousand, that's another matter.
  • Options
    TheKitchenCabinetTheKitchenCabinet Posts: 2,275
    edited October 2016
    Dromedary - just about your point that "Polls too may be biased against people in this group, who have a tendency not to take part in polls". One thing I have noticed in the States is that, when you speak to peoplewho seem like they would be natural Trump supporters, they truly do believe in the conspiracy view that the US Government is out to get them. One of the reasons why I am wary of some of these polls - I just cannot imagine these people picking up the phone to a stranger and admitting for whom they will vote.
  • Options
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

Question for the better-informed.

Medicine courses, at "home" (UK or, at present, EU) fee levels, are MASSIVELY subsidised. Students don't pay anything approaching the true cost.

Is there a big difference in the the rates of graduates from British medical schools actually staying and working in Britain between (a) UK nationals, (b) non-UK EU nationals, (c) non-EU international students?

A substantial proportion of British medical grads either don't go into medicine as a career at all, or go overseas to work. But it wouldn't surprise me if that rate was much higher among graduates who are not UK nationals, e.g. if they preferred to study here because we have better universities (plus English language, useful if they want to work elsewhere like the USA later) but either intended to return to their home country to work, or alternatively see themselves as highly internationally mobile (and pretty much by definition, someone studying here who comes from overseas is internationally mobile).

If this is the case (speculative if) then we might benefit from a reduction in EU students taking up the limited, subsidised places on British medical courses. Hard to see a benefit from declining numbers of non-EU international students, though, since they are paying for the degree and are effectively an export industry.

Anecdote: At the Vote Leave campaign launch I was sitting next to a lad from South Asia who was there because he would have to be sent home when he got to the end of his course while his EU classmates could stay. He invited me down to his Junior Doctor picket line next day btw. He didn't have a vote, I assume, but wanted to campaign for a level playing field. (as did I)
    Welcome to PB, LP.

He was picketing so his EU colleagues could be sent home too?
    That must be it, or he's self-entitled twit.
    Yes, how dare people have views on issues.
    Maybe. He didn't like the inequity I think. Nor did I. Maybe he was sick of all the remainers constantly harping on about how the NHS desperately needs EU immigrants when he was being sent home. He may have been a self entitled twit as he was on strike next day for better terms than J Hunt was offering. Anyway I suspect that view of inequity was probably shared by the Asians round here who voted in big numbers for Brexit. Thanks for the welcome btw.
  • Options

JackW said:

But Clinton is ahead in all the other places to offset this lead.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Oh my word

Drudge

And astute it is. According to Michael Ashcroft, Labour beat the Conservatives in the 2015 general election by 41% to 24% among voters aged 18 to 24.
  • Options
    @RodCrosby 's spreadsheet has Trump's easiest path as Nevada, Florida , Wisconsin interestingly.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    National & Florida - St Leo Uni Florida - Samples 1,050 & 1,028 - Both 22-26 Oct

NAT - Clinton 49.3 .. Trump 38.4

FL - Clinton 52.0 .. Trump 39.4

http://polls.saintleo.edu/clinton-lead-growing-in-florida-and-across-the-u-s-in-new-saint-leo-poll-and-most-expect-her-to-win-the-presidency/
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Well it's interesting to be discussing live voters voting for dead candidates than (much more important) the opposite.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@RodCrosby 's spreadsheet has Trump's easiest path as Nevada, Florida , Wisconsin interestingly.

Oooppps .... :smiley:
  • Options
    tyson said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Well you are hardly going to declare it if you buy one are you? Obviously if you nip across and by a thousand, that's another matter.
    Probably right, although it is the law.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    This is rather fun

Stefan Molyneux
    An entertaining excerpt on Immigration double standards. https://t.co/BvviCDGOjr

The whole thing is here

https://youtu.be/K-lwKOOYgFo
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited October 2016
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

"Yup.

"

That's kind of you - I'm investing so much time in US politics because I believe - like Brexit - it's a pivotal change agenda. If Hillary wins - it's a huge shift for decades re SCOTUS and immigration that will alter the whole persona of the America I know and love.

I'm doing all I can to help those who feel this is a watershed and very dangerous culturally.
    I agree....keep going Plato. You add to the diversity here. But as you are aware, like me, you have to take the flak by having strong views and backing them up so vociferously.

FWIW.....I think the election of Trump presents a much more existential threat to the right in the USA because within 2 years the Democrats will have shut out all the levers of Government and left him isolated, and the GOP decimated.

Your SCOTUS fear is slightly paranoid. Those judges have a habit of becoming quite independent thinkers, and Hillary will in all likelihood pick moderates much like Obama. A Hillary victory gives the chance for GOP to regroup around someone like Paul Ryan, and come back. A Trump victory could sink the party within months.
    I remember when I was virtually the only eurosceptic on here, back in about 2005. I was certainly the only one who would bang on and on about it, understandably boring lots of other pb-ers. I would get scoffed at, yawned at, and Nick P would chortle at me, politely, and so forth.

And look where we are now.
    Yes indeed. Some of us have realised a twenty percent increase in the sterling value of one's portfolio over the last few months. Somehow I doubt that will hold up.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

PlatoSaid said:

Oh my word

Drudge

And astute it is. According to Michael Ashcroft, Labour beat the Conservatives in the 2015 general election by 41% to 24% among voters aged 18 to 24.
    But the big winners of the 18 - 24 age group was the Can't Be Arsed Party....
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    According to this http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/10/28/rnc-trump-campaign-outperforming-2012-ground-game/

Ok it's breitbart, but it seems as if the RNC and Trump are kissing and making outup.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

"Yeah the vote is very different this year. The Dems have come out hard on mail, but they are doing disproportionately worse so far in-person so it isn't as good for them as it would appear at first glance.

"

Brokenwheel, could you send me the links to where you are getting the Florida data - I would be interested to take a look.

Also, someone on here posted a tweet from a US source yesterday about a pattern emerging re more white liberals / Hispanics for HRC and fewer AAs. Could anyone repost? I cannot find it in my history but when I looked at the author's other tweets, it was suggesting that AA early voting in Virginia was also sharply down.

https://mobile.twitter.com/electproject?lang=en-gb

This is a really good feed to follow. I will link evidence of Hispanic vote rising and AA vote falling later
  • Options
    RobD said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

I'm petrified of HMRC- I make sure that every single last penny of income that I receive is recorded, and am haphazard about deductions I can make. But at the end of November I'll be walking back casually through customs from the states with a MacPro and IPAD....it will not be a Midnight Express moment for me.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

According to this http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/10/28/rnc-trump-campaign-outperforming-2012-ground-game/

Ok it's breitbart, but it seems as if the RNC and Trump are kissing and making outup.

they are running the Trump ground game, literally. They are hardly an independent news source on the topic
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

AndyJS said:

Goes with their general philosophy: If it wasn't needed in the fifties it isn't needed now.
    Also makes it worryingly easy for Johnny Foreigner to get here and ruin things.
  • Options
    tyson said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

I'm petrified of HMRC- I make sure that every single last penny of income that I receive is recorded, and am haphazard about deductions I can make. But at the end of November I'll be walking back casually through customs from the states with a MacPro and IPAD....it will not be a Midnight Express moment for me.
    I thought you of all people would be critical of tax evaders? ;)
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    tyson said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

You're not non-tax resident?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Washington Post
    Top US problems for Democrats & Republicans. @IpsosMORI https://t.co/2CucxqGDWY

Nice graphic

Terrorism is the top issue for Americans.

Are they frit?
  • Options
    Wikileaks
    Two Clinton staff told Podesta that phishing email "is REAL" despite losing $1000s
    1) https://t.co/vIwD9If2jV
    2) https://t.co/gYEuRUqRhh
  • Options
    Thanks Nunu for the link.
  • Options

Yes indeed. Some of us have realised a twenty percent increase in the sterling value of one's portfolio over the last few months. Somehow I doubt that will hold up.

@Toms......
    Brexit was a vote against elites, and oh yes....that vote has directly led to dramatically enriching the elite through enhancing their portfolios.

I looked at my holdings yesterday because I'm starting the dreaded tax return. I haven't looked at them since this time last year. I'm ashamed to be honest about how much money I have made by doing sweet FA.

It doesn't seem fair that things are just so stacked up for the rich. Once you acquire assets, the money just keeps rolling in. If you lose one way (exchange rates) you gain in another.
  • Options
    Washington Examiner
    WikiLeaks reveals Hillary Clinton hid the "depth" of her email scandal from her own campaign manager and staff https://t.co/OT1oHcyUAl https://t.co/PBBTggVHTk
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

AndyJS said:

We has plenty of surplus runways in the fifties because we'd just built lots of them quickly in the early '40s.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited October 2016
    Rugby, Bollywood style (and for some reason on a gridiron pitch).
    https://twitter.com/ThePoke/status/791975922626953216
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Washington Examiner
    WikiLeaks reveals Hillary Clinton hid the "depth" of her email scandal from her own campaign manager and staff https://t.co/OT1oHcyUAl https://t.co/PBBTggVHTk

If you scroll down the comments, there's a great image of a Hilary, frozen to the spot, a look of morbid fascination, like she's just been flashed by JackW....
  • Options
    Just be looking in detail at ECV. Seems to me that Trump has to win OH, FL, IA, PA and one other state to stop Clinton (assuming NV falls to the independent candidate).
  • Options
    Mr. Tyson, if you're still feeling guilty in a month or so and want to help out a poor self-employed chap, do feel free to buy several dozen copies of Kingdom Asunder :D
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,799

Just be looking in detail at ECV. Seems to me that Trump has to win OH, FL, IA, PA and one other state to stop Clinton (assuming NV falls to the independent candidate).

These are the key figures. Trump has to win at least one state where Clinton is currently ahead by 7.1% or more, along with several states where she is ahead by a smaller amount.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/791435246906540032
  • Options

you don't mean NV do you?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Washington Examiner

If you scroll down the comments, there's a great image of a Hilary, frozen to the spot, a look of morbid fascination, like she's just been flashed by JackW....
    It was never proven ....
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    JackW said:

PlatoSaid said:

Washington Examiner

It was never proven ....
    :lol:
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950

you don't mean NV do you?
    The only serious Indy is McMullin in Utah, isn't he?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    stodge said:

And so, to modify my original question, if the Liberal Democrats can't win in Richmond Park then where do they go next?

You seem to have developed a huge hostility to the LDs despite admitting having voted for the party in the past. I don't really understand the source or rationale behind your antipathy.
    I'm more irritated by the Lib Dems at the moment than anything else. It doesn't bother me that the leadership is disappointed by the EU referendum result, but it does rather grate to have this hardline, defiance of the electorate angle peddled by the leader (against the better advice, on this subject anyway, of figures like Vince Cable.) The centre of gravity in British politics (south of the Tweed at least) has shifted somewhat rightwards, against which backdrop the reflexive reaction against Clegg and in favour of becoming an Ed Miliband tribute act seems peculiarly self-defeating, even if it is understandable after what happened to them last year.

They're essentially turning their backs on soft centre-right voters and concentrating instead on trying to win back a tiny cohort of middle-class lefties who fulfil all of the following criteria: (a) liked EdM (b) don't like Corbyn (c) are willing to forgive them for the Coalition. It's a recipe for disaster. In almost any likely scenario about 5 in 6 of Labour's 2015 vote is probably safe, and of the 5% of the total electorate who might potentially dump Labour a substantial fraction will be Lab-Ukip or Lab-Con switchers. The LDs can also target the Greens with this strategy, but their vote is too small to make much difference to anything.

I guess it just seems like such a waste. The main Opposition is the accursed, Far Left, Zombie Labour, shambling uselessly across the political landscape. It is a democratic necessity that it be replaced with something better, and this would be a great deal quicker and easier to accomplish if the LDs were to provide the nucleus of a viable alternative - effectively, so that we can set about reversing what happened a century ago and replace Labour with the Liberals. Instead, they seem to be intent on following five years behind Labour - creating a social democrat party at the very moment when the soft Left is in serious decline in most of Europe. They're on a hiding to nothing.
  • Options
    Two statements in the Guardian:

1) "The lies Trump told this week: from Mosul 'disaster' to leaked Clinton emails -
    Not even two weeks into the battle for Mosul, Trump has declared it 'a total disaster'. Commanders have disagreed."

2) "Islamic State fighters have taken 'tens of thousands' of people hostage and are herding them towards the city of Mosul for use as human shields as the battle for the militant group's last major Iraqi stronghold intensifies, the United Nations has said"
  • Options
    The latest 4-way RCP polling average has Clinton ahead by almost the same margin as Obama had over Romney in 2012, but she seems to do be doing better in the swing states.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Black Rock "you cannot please all the people all the time only some of the people some of the time". My advice to you is cheer up depression is not good for you..
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Two statements in the Guardian:

1) "The lies Trump told this week: from Mosul 'disaster' to leaked Clinton emails -
    Not even two weeks into the battle for Mosul, Trump has declared it 'a total disaster'. Commanders have disagreed."

2) "Islamic State fighters have taken 'tens of thousands' of people hostage and are herding them towards the city of Mosul for use as human shields as the battle for the militant group's last major Iraqi stronghold intensifies, the United Nations has said"

1) Commentary is free.
    2) Facts are sacred.
  • Options

Mr. Tyson, if you're still feeling guilty in a month or so and want to help out a poor self-employed chap, do feel free to buy several dozen copies of Kingdom Asunder :D

I tend to weight my charitable stuff to environmental/animal welfare.

Does Kingdom Asunder have any themes of stopping the badger cull whilst saving a few whales and curtailing global warming whilst promoting vegetarianism. If it does then......

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Mr. Tyson, one of the protagonists (probably the single most important one) does have a pet lynx, if that helps.

Edited extra bit: also, Prey: Seven Tales of Beastly Terror [an anthology to which I contributed] had all the money go to WWF.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

JackW said:

Needs to be measured against Nevada's big population growth. So you need that as a percentage.
  • Options

stodge said:

And so, to modify my original question, if the Liberal Democrats can't win in Richmond Park then where do they go next?

You seem to have developed a huge hostility to the LDs despite admitting having voted for the party in the past. I don't really understand the source or rationale behind your antipathy.
    I'm more irritated by the Lib Dems at the moment than anything else. It doesn't bother me that the leadership is disappointed by the EU referendum result, but it does rather grate to have this hardline, defiance of the electorate angle peddled by the leader (against the better advice, on this subject anyway, of figures like Vince Cable.) The centre of gravity in British politics (south of the Tweed at least) has shifted somewhat rightwards, against which backdrop the reflexive reaction against Clegg and in favour of becoming an Ed Miliband tribute act seems peculiarly self-defeating, even if it is understandable after what happened to them last year.

They're essentially turning their backs on soft centre-right voters and concentrating instead on trying to win back a tiny cohort of middle-class lefties who fulfil all of the following criteria: (a) liked EdM (b) don't like Corbyn (c) are willing to forgive them for the Coalition. It's a recipe for disaster. In almost any likely scenario about 5 in 6 of Labour's 2015 vote is probably safe, and of the 5% of the total electorate who might potentially dump Labour a substantial fraction will be Lab-Ukip or Lab-Con switchers. The LDs can also target the Greens with this strategy, but their vote is too small to make much difference to anything.

I guess it just seems like such a waste. The main Opposition is the accursed, Far Left, Zombie Labour, shambling uselessly across the political landscape. It is a democratic necessity that it be replaced with something better, and this would be a great deal quicker and easier to accomplish if the LDs were to provide the nucleus of a viable alternative - effectively, so that we can set about reversing what happened a century ago and replace Labour with the Liberals. Instead, they seem to be intent on following five years behind Labour - creating a social democrat party at the very moment when the soft Left is in serious decline in most of Europe. They're on a hiding to nothing.
    An intelligent and very well written post for a Friday afternoon. It diverges from my own opinion, but it carries some hard truths....so well done comrade....
  • Options

Mr. Tyson, one of the protagonists (probably the single most important one) does have a pet lynx, if that helps.

Edited extra bit: also, Prey: Seven Tales of Beastly Terror [an anthology to which I contributed] had all the money go to WWF.

A B plus for effort Morris....
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The latest 4-way RCP polling average has Clinton ahead by almost the same margin as Obama had over Romney in 2012, but she seems to do be doing better in the swing states.

Because he's doing better in the north east but dem lead is too large and she is doing better in swing state rich south and west.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Does anyone still believe Trump can win ? Seriously ?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

JackW said:

Needs to be measured against Nevada's big population growth. So you need that as a percentage.
    Looks like all that has pretty much come in Clark (so LV) - 6 day Democrat lead is the same there as in 2012 despite a 150K jump in voters at 36K. From what I can see, the rural areas are basically stagnant.

FWIW, I do not think Trump will win Nevada, it was more for what it may tell us generally.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Realistically, no. Virginia is gone in early voting. Colorado, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania have such big leads that it is hard to see how he can overcome them not to mention these States have large numbers of uni educated whites. There are no paths to 270 when Clinton wins these.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Yes. But he needs to win Florida plus a mid-western state that hasn't voted Republican for a long time.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    TGOHF said:

If the polling is right, no.
  • Options
    Is anyone following the Iceland elections being held tomorrow (Saturday)?

From the Daily Express

Will the Pirate Party win the Iceland election?

The Pirate Party appears to be on course for victory, according to a poll from the Social Science Research Institute at the University of Iceland.

But another poll, from MMR, shows that the Pirate Party is trailing behind the Independence party and and is expected to come second.

The Pirate Party’s message has resonated with disaffected young people amid public anger against the political establishment.

This weekend's election was sparked when Iceland’s Prime Minister Sigmundur Davið Gunnlaugsson resigned due to the Panama Paper scandal.

His party Progressive is faring badly in the polls and the Independence party remains the Pirate Party’s biggest rival in the election.

The Pirate Party has also won support due to the Iceland’s slow recovery from its banking crisis during the global meltdown in 2008.

It is part of a wave of populist parties gaining greater influence across Europe.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/726167/Pirate-Party-who-are-radical-movement-will-win-Iceland-election-2016-Birgitta-Jonsdottir
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF: apart from the polls - which are generally low quality, have small sample sizes (pro-rata them to the UK, you would be looking at sample sizes of 200-300) and where we do not know the methodology - what other information suggests this contest is over?

As I have posted on here, the early voting looks poor for HRC in NC; Brokenwheel has suggested it could be the same in FL; and there are numerous reports of AA voting down sharply in many places, which is a key bedrock, including OH.

Given what has happened over the past 12 months with what has happened vs. what the polls said, you would have to be brave to be guided by the polls.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

stodge said:

What a load of drivel . Look at the vote shares in all September council by elections

Con 24.2% minus 4.9%
    Lab 28.4% plus 0.2%
    LDem 18.6% plus 8.3%
    UKIP 6.2% minus 4.0%
    Green 4.8% minus 1.6%
    Nats 7.1% plus 3.3%
    Others/Ind 10.6% minus 1.3%

The 2 right wing parties could not even get 1/3rd of the votes between them
  • Options

Alistair said:

JackW said:

Looks like all that has pretty much come in Clark (so LV) - 6 day Democrat lead is the same there as in 2012 despite a 150K jump in voters at 36K. From what I can see, the rural areas are basically stagnant.

FWIW, I do not think Trump will win Nevada, it was more for what it may tell us generally.

Do you think the dem fall in north Carolina could be Dixiecrats who finally changed party registration to vote for trump in the primaries hence why we seem to be seeing better rep numbers vs. Dem in the early vote?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Yes, of course. He's up against Hillary.
  • Options

stodge said:

Lib Dems have been infiltrated by the Social Democrat Party and veered away from liberal principles.

Lib Dems need to return to Gladstone's Liberals.

Gladstonian liberalism consisted of limited government expenditure and low taxation whilst making sure government had balanced budgets and the classical liberal stress on self-help and freedom of choice. Gladstonian liberalism also emphasised free trade, little government intervention in the economy and equality of opportunity through institutional reform.

• Options
    nunu said:

Alistair said:

JackW said:

Do you think the dem fall in north Carolina could be Dixiecrats who finally changed party registration to vote for trump in the primaries hence why we seem to be seeing better rep numbers vs. Dem in the early vote?
    That is a possibility (I do not know the NC rules there re primary voting). What I would be far more worried about, if I was HRC, was the sharp AA drop-off and, to a lesser degree, that the Millennials are not coming out strongly. As you mentioned before, though, we will have a better idea re the AA pattern next week.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Trump's strategy of Romney 12 + FOP was the only viable path to 270.

However the strategy started to come apart from early on. Of the Romney 12 he has been struggling badly in NC and is having to play defence in Utah and Arizona with polls tightening in Georgia and Texas.

FOP states are even worse. Ohio is highly competitive, but most Florida polls are tending blue and Pennsylvania is way outside the margin of error.

This discussion has been closed.