Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Zac ahead 56%-29% in first Richmond poll and seems to be getti

Comments

• Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

What a load of drivel . Look at the vote shares in all September council by elections

Why should we?

(a) that's old data
    (b) it's a few thousand votes in meaningless council by elections.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

TGOHF said:

Does anyone still believe Trump can win ? Seriously ?

TGOHF: apart from the polls - which are generally low quality, have small sample sizes (pro-rata them to the UK, you would be looking at sample sizes of 200-300) and where we do not know the methodology - what other information suggests this contest is over?

As I have posted on here, the early voting looks poor for HRC in NC; Brokenwheel has suggested it could be the same in FL; and there are numerous reports of AA voting down sharply in many places, which is a key bedrock, including OH.

Given what has happened over the past 12 months with what has happened vs. what the polls said, you would have to be brave to be guided by the polls.

A 1000 person poll in the US does not equate to a 200 person poll in the UK. That is not how statistics work.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited October 2016

What a load of drivel . Look at the vote shares in all September council by elections

Why should we?

(a) that's old data
    Yes sorry those are the October figures Con and UKIP did exceed 33% in September .
    It is 50,000 real votes in a full range of council areas from big cities to rural areas .
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2016

TGOHF said:

Given what has happened over the past 12 months with what has happened vs. what the polls said, you would have to be brave to be guided by the polls.

Even braver to be guided by your own cherrypicked anecdata.

Me, I'll stick with the polls.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Why should we?

(a) that's old data
    Yes sorry those are the October figures Con and UKIP did exceed 33% in September .
    It is 50,000 real votes in a full range of council areas from big cities to rural areas .
    Yes, a few thousand votes in meaningless council by elections.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194

Dromedary said:

Two statements in the Guardian:

1) "The lies Trump told this week: from Mosul 'disaster' to leaked Clinton emails -
    Not even two weeks into the battle for Mosul, Trump has declared it 'a total disaster'. Commanders have disagreed."

2) "Islamic State fighters have taken 'tens of thousands' of people hostage and are herding them towards the city of Mosul for use as human shields as the battle for the militant group's last major Iraqi stronghold intensifies, the United Nations has said"

1) Commentary is free.
    2) Facts are sacred.
    Will the US and the US-backed Kurdish forces continue their assault on the city, provoking Daesh to start murdering tens of thousands of civilians and post film of their actions to the internet, or will they call it off?

The next 11 days may well be a "disaster" for Obama and Clinton's foreign policy image.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950

TGOHF said:

TGOHF: apart from the polls - which are generally low quality, have small sample sizes (pro-rata them to the UK, you would be looking at sample sizes of 200-300) and where we do not know the methodology - what other information suggests this contest is over?

As I have posted on here, the early voting looks poor for HRC in NC; Brokenwheel has suggested it could be the same in FL; and there are numerous reports of AA voting down sharply in many places, which is a key bedrock, including OH.

That's a good summary. Polls are all over the place, the media have all taken sides to an extent not seen before, there's still the possibility of 'events' helping or (more likely) hindering either candidate even into the last fortnight.

In theory Hillary is 3-4 points up and probably wins the EC votes she needs, in practice it could still be anything from a landslide to a Trump win - in the last couple of days it seems to be swinging towards the Republican, but it's most likely too little too late.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

TGOHF said:

A 1000 person poll in the US does not equate to a 200 person poll in the UK. That is not how statistics work.
    Actually, it does: the sample size is key. A 10000 data set is far more valuable than a 100.

• Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    The Hillary emails story must be the most boring story in political history
  • Options

Alistair said:

TGOHF said:

Actually, it does: the sample size is key. A 10000 data set is far more valuable than a 100.

No it's not. Key is getting a representative sample.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    RobD said:
    Yes, I'm worried how we are going to stay awake for the next few weeks
  • Options

Alistair said:

TGOHF said:

With regards to your 10000 vs 100. Yes.

With you regards of polling ratio between the US and UK. No.

No.

Three times No.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2016
    Anyone know why Trump has moved from 6.4 on Betfair yesterday to 4.3 today? That's a pretty big shift in the circumstances.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.107373419
  • Options
    Pong said:

TGOHF said:

Even braver to be guided by your own cherrypicked anecdata.

Me, I'll stick with the polls.
    What, Pong, do you mean the data I posted from NC together with the link so you can check the data yourself?

Why don't you treat us all to your fabled analysis of the data then?

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,991
    Jobabob said:

RobD said:
    Yes, I'm worried how we are going to stay awake for the next few weeks
    But this is more than just the typical right-wing media banging on about it!
  • Options
    Big movements at Betfair:
    Clinton 1.33
    Trump 4.35
    Sanders 180
    Kaine 615
    Biden 590
    Pence 920

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Marmite + Apple.

Coming to an inflation statistic near you soon !
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Mr. JS, due to the e-mail investigation being reopened?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37805525
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF said:

No.

Three times No.
    The point being, as we have had with LA Times / Black man in Illinois voting Trump saga, is that on a small sample (which most of these polls are), you can get big distortions.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Dromedary said:

Two statements in the Guardian:

1) "The lies Trump told this week: from Mosul 'disaster' to leaked Clinton emails -
    Not even two weeks into the battle for Mosul, Trump has declared it 'a total disaster'. Commanders have disagreed."

2) "Islamic State fighters have taken 'tens of thousands' of people hostage and are herding them towards the city of Mosul for use as human shields as the battle for the militant group's last major Iraqi stronghold intensifies, the United Nations has said"

1) Commentary is free.
    2) Facts are sacred.
    Will the US and the US-backed Kurdish forces continue their assault on the city, provoking Daesh to start murdering tens of thousands of civilians and post film of their actions to the internet, or will they call it off?

The next 11 days may well be a "disaster" for Obama and Clinton's foreign policy image.
    That would give a lot of momentum to Trump, who hasn't concentrated much on that area. (If memory serves, he didn't mention Benghazi at any of the three presidential debates). And the "message" could be associated with some horrendously affecting images.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited October 2016

"Yeah the vote is very different this year. The Dems have come out hard on mail, but they are doing disproportionately worse so far in-person so it isn't as good for them as it would appear at first glance.

Brokenwheel, could you send me the links to where you are getting the Florida data - I would be interested to take a look.
    https://countyballotfiles.elections.myflorida.com/FVRSCountyBallotReports/AbsenteeEarlyVotingReports/PublicStats

This is the cumulative early vote scores. The ~7am updates have the full data up to the end of the previous day and after that they are periodically updated, mostly just the mail votes. I've been taking note of the daily changes.

• Options
    Whats causing the Betfair price movements ?
  • Options

"Yeah the vote is very different this year. The Dems have come out hard on mail, but they are doing disproportionately worse so far in-person so it isn't as good for them as it would appear at first glance.

"

Brokenwheel, could you send me the links to where you are getting the Florida data - I would be interested to take a look.
    https://countyballotfiles.elections.myflorida.com/FVRSCountyBallotReports/AbsenteeEarlyVotingReports/PublicStats

This is the cumulative early vote scores. The ~7am updates have the full data up to the end of the previous day and after that they are periodically updated, mostly just the mail votes. I've been taking note of the daily changes.

Thanks Brokenwheel
  • Options
    Trump just came in massively.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited October 2016

Patrick said:

Pulpstar said:

Patrick said:

Sorry to mention assassination again - but does anyone know what would happen if a candidate croaks once postal voting has already started?

Kaine or Pence would quickly head in from 1000.0 on Betfair would be my guess.
    But if votes are already cast for a dead candidate then the election is surely void? Don't they have to start again? Or does the VP candidate legally assume the full candidacy? Would make hanging chads look like a breeze.
    The rules probably vary by state.
    As a general rule, *everything* in the US varies by state.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

emails
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,801
    The FBI is probing new emails related to Hillary Clinton, FBI Director James Comey said in a Friday letter.

"In previous congressional testimony, I referred to the fact that the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) had completed its investigation of former Secretary Clinton's personal email server. Due to recent developments, I am writing to supplement my previous testimony," Comey wrote.

"In connection with an unrelated case, the FBI has learned of the existence of emails that appear to be pertinent to the investigation. I am writing to inform you that the investigative team briefed me on this yesterday, and I agreed that the FBI should take appropriate investigative steps designed to allow investigators to review these emails to determine whether they contain classified information, as well as to assess their importance to our investigation," he added.

"Although the FBI cannot yet assess whether or not this material may be signifcant, and I cannot predict how long it will take us to complete this additional work, I believe it is important to update your Committees about our efforts in light of my previous testimony,"
  • Options
    Maybe an extremely rich person is placing huge amounts on Trump. Didn't that happen with Romney in 2012?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,442
    AndyJS said:

Maybe an extremely rich person is placing huge amounts on Trump. Didn't that happen with Romney in 2012?

Looks like there is a spike in the BF volume for Trump.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Con 24.2% minus 4.9%
    Lab 28.4% plus 0.2%
    LDem 18.6% plus 8.3%
    UKIP 6.2% minus 4.0%
    Green 4.8% minus 1.6%
    Nats 7.1% plus 3.3%
    Others/Ind 10.6% minus 1.3%

The 2 right wing parties could not even get 1/3rd of the votes between them

A tiny, unscientific, meaningless sample. You could just as easily argue either or both of the following:

1. That the Lib Dems are experiencing a dead cat bounce - the scale of "recovery" that the Conservatives had in the years immediately after 1997, where they were simply clawing back some of the more extreme losses of the immediately preceding years. (Although, that said, the rebuilding of the Tory local government base under Hague was vastly more impressive than the feeble effort that the yellows put in in May. And the Tories didn't ship two thirds of their entire vote in 1997, either.)
    2. That people are willing to vote for any old protest party in a local by-election (where nothing, or at most the frequency of bin collections, is perceived to be at stake.) As distinct from a Parliamentary by-election, let alone a General Election.

I will start to believe in the Lib Dem Fightback when there is consistent evidence of a significant recovery in the national VI figures, and not before.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Jobabob said:

The Hillary emails story must be the most boring story in political history

Have a look at the Dow Jones - the guys with money obviously think she's toast.!
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Just laid a big chunk of trump @ 3/1

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-clinton-idUSKCN12S299?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

This is not unexpected.

Does mess up the media cycle for Clinton a bit.

Nobody in the US over the age of 7 is unaware of the clinton email stuff.

Minds are already made up.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237
    SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

:smiley:

Little Green Mohammed
    Well you did call everyone who you don't agree with as Nazis .. I'm surprised you are bleating that he refused you https://t.co/Q1WuSJSPsh

Lily Allen
    Just tried to get in a black cab with my kids. The driver looked at me and said , 'find an immigrant to drive you you stupid tart'

Stone. Heart. Laugh.
    Not really, rude and classless is what I'd call it... Sad to see discourse descending to this level.

Anyway back from the races and my tip this morning Charbel romped in at 7-2. Got 5-1 on course so time for a glass or two now. :)
  • Options
    Slightly odd, both Sporting and Spreadex have rather surprisingly suspended their POTUS ECV markets ..... why I wonder?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Trump just came in massively.

Huge move, in to 4.2 now. Combination of the emails investigation news and a lack of liquidity in the market?
  • Options

stodge said:

And so, to modify my original question, if the Liberal Democrats can't win in Richmond Park then where do they go next?

You seem to have developed a huge hostility to the LDs despite admitting having voted for the party in the past. I don't really understand the source or rationale behind your antipathy.
    I'm more irritated by the Lib Dems at the moment than anything else. It doesn't bother me that the leadership is disappointed by the EU referendum result, but it does rather grate to have this hardline, defiance of the electorate angle peddled by the leader (against the better advice, on this subject anyway, of figures like Vince Cable.) The centre of gravity in British politics (south of the Tweed at least) has shifted somewhat rightwards, against which backdrop the reflexive reaction against Clegg and in favour of becoming an Ed Miliband tribute act seems peculiarly self-defeating, even if it is understandable after what happened to them last year.

They're essentially turning their backs on soft centre-right voters and concentrating instead on trying to win back a tiny cohort of middle-class lefties who fulfil all of the following criteria: (a) liked EdM (b) don't like Corbyn (c) are willing to forgive them for the Coalition. It's a recipe for disaster. In almost any likely scenario about 5 in 6 of Labour's 2015 vote is probably safe, and of the 5% of the total electorate who might potentially dump Labour a substantial fraction will be Lab-Ukip or Lab-Con switchers. The LDs can also target the Greens with this strategy, but their vote is too small to make much difference to anything.

I guess it just seems like such a waste. The main Opposition is the accursed, Far Left, Zombie Labour, shambling uselessly across the political landscape. It is a democratic necessity that it be replaced with something better, and this would be a great deal quicker and easier to accomplish if the LDs were to provide the nucleus of a viable alternative - effectively, so that we can set about reversing what happened a century ago and replace Labour with the Liberals. Instead, they seem to be intent on following five years behind Labour - creating a social democrat party at the very moment when the soft Left is in serious decline in most of Europe. They're on a hiding to nothing.
    I take it this is in response to some of the pro-Blair rhetoric that Tim Farron was using to try to peel off soft Labourites? Personally, as an Orange Book Lib Dem, I've been pleasantly surprised by Farron so far. He's positioned the party correctly, in my opinion, with regard to the refugee crisis, Europe and immigration. There's no sign of Miliband-style half arsed economic tinkering. For non-nationalist, pro-market Tory voters I'd have thought that the Lib Dems would be quite appealing at the moment.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited October 2016
    Pong said:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-clinton-idUSKCN12S299?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

This is not unexpected.

I know it's marginally rude [not to mention unspeakably gauche] to ask, but what - to you - is a "big chunk"?

The site seems a mix of the £5-£20 stakers, and the multiple £100 (and up) stakers...
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

emails
    Yes - the betting action is anti-Clinton driven, not pro-Trump. That's why Sanders, Biden and Kaine are in to 95, 165 and 450.
  • Options

stodge said:

And so, to modify my original question, if the Liberal Democrats can't win in Richmond Park then where do they go next?

I'm more irritated by the Lib Dems at the moment than anything else. It doesn't bother me that the leadership is disappointed by the EU referendum result, but it does rather grate to have this hardline, defiance of the electorate angle peddled by the leader (against the better advice, on this subject anyway, of figures like Vince Cable.) The centre of gravity in British politics (south of the Tweed at least) has shifted somewhat rightwards, against which backdrop the reflexive reaction against Clegg and in favour of becoming an Ed Miliband tribute act seems peculiarly self-defeating, even if it is understandable after what happened to them last year.

They're essentially turning their backs on soft centre-right voters and concentrating instead on trying to win back a tiny cohort of middle-class lefties who fulfil all of the following criteria: (a) liked EdM (b) don't like Corbyn (c) are willing to forgive them for the Coalition. It's a recipe for disaster. In almost any likely scenario about 5 in 6 of Labour's 2015 vote is probably safe, and of the 5% of the total electorate who might potentially dump Labour a substantial fraction will be Lab-Ukip or Lab-Con switchers. The LDs can also target the Greens with this strategy, but their vote is too small to make much difference to anything.

I guess it just seems like such a waste. The main Opposition is the accursed, Far Left, Zombie Labour, shambling uselessly across the political landscape. It is a democratic necessity that it be replaced with something better, and this would be a great deal quicker and easier to accomplish if the LDs were to provide the nucleus of a viable alternative - effectively, so that we can set about reversing what happened a century ago and replace Labour with the Liberals. Instead, they seem to be intent on following five years behind Labour - creating a social democrat party at the very moment when the soft Left is in serious decline in most of Europe. They're on a hiding to nothing.
    I take it this is in response to some of the pro-Blair rhetoric that Tim Farron was using to try to peel off soft Labourites? Personally, as an Orange Book Lib Dem, I've been pleasantly surprised by Farron so far. He's positioned the party correctly, in my opinion, with regard to the refugee crisis, Europe and immigration. There's no sign of Miliband-style half arsed economic tinkering. For non-nationalist, pro-market Tory voters I'd have thought that the Lib Dems would be quite appealing at the moment.
    With Farron in charge ..... hardly!
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Bernie sanders in to 85, can lay at 110 for free money.
    Edit: the lay's now out to 290 even with the back price at 85.
  • Options
    Pong said:

This is not unexpected.

keep the faith!!!
  • Options
    From 3,500 miles away, this re-opening of the enquiry into Hillary's email activities just 10 days prior to the POTUS elections looks to me like pure unadulterated politics and I'm hardly what you would describe as one of her greatest fans.
  • Options

Lib Dems have been infiltrated by the Social Democrat Party and veered away from liberal principles.

Lib Dems need to return to Gladstone's Liberals.

Gladstonian liberalism consisted of limited government expenditure and low taxation whilst making sure government had balanced budgets and the classical liberal stress on self-help and freedom of choice. Gladstonian liberalism also emphasised free trade, little government intervention in the economy and equality of opportunity through institutional reform.

Gladstonian liberals are 21st century Tories.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

From 3,500 miles away, this re-opening of the enquiry into Hillary's email activities just 10 days prior to the POTUS elections looks to me like pure unadulterated politics and I'm hardly what you would describe as one of her greatest fans.

I'd agree. The question is how many votes it will swing, either from her to Trump or, more likely, from her to no-one.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,114

C'mon "The Donald" beat these crooks into the ground
  • Options

I have to admit it looks very odd. Looking at the letter, my (un)educated guess is that his hand was forced by his agents who threatened to go public. Otherwise, I do not see why Comey would put his position at risk if the view is that HRC will win.
  • Options
    Pong said:

This is not unexpected.

Besides what proportion of votes have been cast already? Barring an actual arrest any more on this story is too little, too late.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,171
    nunu said:

TGOHF said:

Realistically, no. Virginia is gone in early voting. Colorado, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania have such big leads that it is hard to see how he can overcome them not to mention these States have large numbers of uni educated whites. There are no paths to 270 when Clinton wins these.
    Pennsylvania has a slightly below average percentage of people with at least a Bachelor's degree. This new email FBI investigation story may not be fatal to Hillary but it should almost certainly tighten up the race yet further with under a fortnight to go
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_educational_attainment
  • Options

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF said:

No.

Three times No.
    The point being, as we have had with LA Times / Black man in Illinois voting Trump saga, is that on a small sample (which most of these polls are), you can get big distortions.
    You are saying a 1000 person poll in America is equivalent to a 200 person poll in the UK and this is not true.

The margin override on a 1000 person poll from a population of 350,000,000 is 3.1% the MOE on a 200 person poll of 65,000,000 is 6.93%
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Mr. Putney, I agree. It also raises a question not of cui bono (it's Trump) but who in the decision-making process is responsible and why.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Clearly, but what's behind the reopening? Up until now, their critics would say that the FBI have gone out of their way to exonerate Clinton, in a way they wouldn't have done for anyone else. There must have been something come to light that makes all the other stuff look insignificant.

Is she about to get arrested, or is Comey about to resign?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Pong said:

This is not unexpected.

I know it's marginally rude [not to mention unspeakably gauche] to ask, but what - to you - is a "big chunk"?

The site seems a mix of the £5-£20 stakers, and the multiple £100 (and up) stakers...
    Pong is serious business. I am small time.
  • Options
    This is funny on Trump spending on internal, private polls (via Guardian):

"Recent FEC reports showed the campaign spent just $1.8m on polling through September of this year, versus $3.2m on hats."
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Pong said:

This is not unexpected.

About £5500.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Must be the PB effect, lol — as soon as we write Trump off, he goes to 3/1 in the betting markets.
  • Options
    If the Clinton camp had another Trump Tape, now would be the time.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237

Lib Dems have been infiltrated by the Social Democrat Party and veered away from liberal principles.

Gladstonian liberalism consisted of limited government expenditure and low taxation whilst making sure government had balanced budgets and the classical liberal stress on self-help and freedom of choice. Gladstonian liberalism also emphasised free trade, little government intervention in the economy and equality of opportunity through institutional reform.

Gladstonian liberals are Orange bookers and Osbornian Tories.
  • Options

Just be looking in detail at ECV. Seems to me that Trump has to win OH, FL, IA, PA and one other state to stop Clinton (assuming NV falls to the independent candidate).

you don't mean NV do you?
    No, sorry, Utah. Man flu today.
  • Options

Pong said:

This is not unexpected.

Besides what proportion of votes have been cast already? Barring an actual arrest any more on this story is too little, too late.
    Of the overall percentage, not huge but will vary by state (and some do not have early voting).

If you are a Trump or a HRC supporter, this will not change minds, simple as. Independents less sure. Perhaps the bigger risk for HRC is that it hampers the operation on getting votes early and / or the "risk" factor of electing HRC has just increased.
  • Options
    Trump won't gain any votes, but Hillary might lose a few.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF said:

No.

Three times No.
    You are saying a 1000 person poll in America is equivalent to a 200 person poll in the UK and this is not true.

The margin override on a 1000 person poll from a population of 350,000,000 is 3.1% the MOE on a 200 person poll of 65,000,000 is 6.93%
    On a related note, the 200 sample Richmond poll also has a MOE close to 7pc. Goldsmith is not a shoo-in, and there's everything to play for.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Must be the PB effect, lol — as soon as we write Trump off, he goes to 3/1 in the betting markets.

:lol:
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Anorak said:

Pong said:

This is not unexpected.

Pong is serious business. I am small time.
    @Pong has played the US markets amazingly well. No more than 1k liability to create a book worth around 20k I think !
  • Options

The FBI were jung, drawn and quartered over their failings and abuse of procedure.

But the fact that they have reopened it surely will persuade some people that Hillary has changed from a 'Oh she did nothing wrong, the FBI have decided not to act' to a 'Oh she must have done something wrong after all, the FBI are investigating.'

Shall we say that events are not necessarily proceeding to her advantage?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Clearly, but what's behind the reopening? Up until now, their critics would say that the FBI have gone out of their way to exonerate Clinton, in a way they wouldn't have done for anyone else. There must have been something come to light that makes all the other stuff look insignificant.

The FBI had better have some pretty damning new evidence, or this represents a terrifying intrusion into politics.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Anorak said:

Pong said:

This is not unexpected.

About £5500.
    I take it you will be staying up for the whole night on 8th in that case :smiley:
  • Options

This is funny on Trump spending on internal, private polls (via Guardian):

"Recent FEC reports showed the campaign spent just $1.8m on polling through September of this year, versus $3.2m on hats."

Hats are probably a more reliable method of guaging public opinion than opinion polls.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    OT: the data tables

http://www.bmgresearch.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/CONFIDENTIAL-BMG-POLL-EVENING-STANDARD-Richmond-Park-by-election-data-tables-281016-1.pdf

Leavers: Zac 80%, LD 9% UKIP 7%, Labour 3% Green 1%
    Remains: Zac 43%, LD 42%, Labour 13%, Green 2%

Very little sign of significant tactical voting except Lab helping Lib.

The Green vote goes three ways and over 20% of 2015 Lib Dems desert them.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Interesting FT article — it's cheaper to fly to Canada to buy Apple products than buy them in the UK.

Except you have to pay import duties?
    There's noone ever present at the "Green aisle" in Birmingham airport arrivals... :innocent face:
    If you transfer international to domestic at T5 there's not even a customs channel to go through, just an honesty phone.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Or are people starting to hedge their bets that Trump isn't dead in the water - the media I gather have been far more critical of HRC in the last couple of days. (Rats, ship, you know what I mean).
  • Options

With Farron in charge ..... hardly!
    What has he actually said or done to provoke that kind of response? It's in Tory areas where the Lib Dems are picking up votes at the moment, so I'm pretty sure that a section of current Conservative supporters feel differently.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited October 2016
    I've just been monitoring the level of activity on Betfair's main POTUS market and over a period of 8 minutes I can report that a fairly consistent level of £12k - £15k PER MINUTE has been matched.
    Talk about Betfair being a licence to print money using other people's money - and it's a true world leader in what it does.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146

Sandpit said:

The FBI had better have some pretty damning new evidence, or this represents a terrifying intrusion into politics.
    The terrifying intrusion into politics was not dragging her away in chains in the first place.....
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Alistair said:

TGOHF said:

A bigger sample is no substitute for a more representative one.

Attend more to bias than sample size.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

I'm sure the FBI is well aware of the gravity of this intervention. Whatever it is must be utterly damning for Crooked Hillary.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    USD falling off a proverbial cliff, traders worried that Clinton will be in trouble before election day.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

Sandpit said:

I'm sure the FBI is well aware of the gravity of this intervention. Whatever it is must be utterly damning for Crooked Hillary.
    It's a very painful election. Life imitating Hollywood. It is not becoming. And I don't think this will affect the result.
  • Options

Gladstonian liberals are Orange bookers and Osbornian Tories TSE.
    Fixed.
  • Options
    Alastair - apologies, you are right. I messed up Statistics 101 :)
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF said:

No.

Three times No.

Alastair - apologies, you are right. I messed up Statistics 101 :)
  • Options

I've just been monitoring the level of activity on Betfair's main POTUS market and over a period of 8 minutes I can report that a fairly consistent level of £12k - £15k PER MINUTE has been matched.
    Talk about Betfair being a licence to print money using other people's money - and it's a true world leader in what it does.

How does that compare to normal breaking news in fast approaching elections or for that matter live football matches etc?
  • Options
    Pong said:

Anorak said:

Pong said:

This is not unexpected.

About £5500.
    Thanks for being so candid. Terrifyingly out of my league, but fascinating.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Pulpstar said:

agreed. She seems to have enough in the can...famous last words
  • Options

Sandpit said:

They will have, I think there is enough evidence to say that the people around Clinton did seek to commit perjury by deleting and wiping clean the emails before the FBI could investigate, whether it will get Clinton is not clear, but her "fail to remember" stock answer won't play well. She's lucky that they didn't reopen it before the final debate, Trump would have absolutely destroyed her. If anything that might be when the FBI decided to play politics.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

I haven't been following the email investigation so closely as it seemed like a storm in a teacup.

Looking at the story in the Guardian, Comey says:

“Although the FBI cannot yet assess whether or not this material may be significant and I cannot predict how long it will take to complete this additional work, I believe it is important to update your Committees about our efforts in light of my previous testimony.”

So he's not claiming a smoking gun. In God's name then, why ten days before an election? He should have taken emergency holiday leave.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

USD falling off a proverbial cliff, traders worried that Clinton will be in trouble before election day.

Does this I can afford a MacBook again?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

I haven't been following the email investigation so closely as it seemed like a storm in a teacup.

“Although the FBI cannot yet assess whether or not this material may be significant and I cannot predict how long it will take to complete this additional work, I believe it is important to update your Committees about our efforts in light of my previous testimony.”

So he's not claiming a smoking gun. In God's name then, why ten days before an election? He should have taken emergency holiday leave.
    The American people have a right to know the kind of person they are voting for.
  • Options
    Dixie said:

Pulpstar said:

agreed. She seems to have enough in the can...famous last words
    Possibly but the fear for some in the US is that she may be Nixon Mark 2 and that her time in office is clouded by investigations and uncertainty over what will be the end result. That would be a particular concern for older voters who actually remember the Watergate days.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Bernie Sanders into 60, can lay at 65.
    Edit: 50/60

Tim Caine (hiding at the bottom of the Betfair screen) at 150 doesn't look like a silly idea if Hillary stands aside.
  • Options

And they get a small commission on each bet, right?
  • Options
    RobD said:

And they get a small commission on each bet, right?
    They usually take 4.92%.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

MaxPB said:

Nope. It's reversing after the traders managed to get a clean pair of trousers and grow a pair.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/GBPUSD:CUR

NB: this post may make no sense if viewed more that 30 minutes after posting. That's how fast things can change.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Anorak said:

Pong said:

This is not unexpected.

About £5500.
    Might be better off shorting USD!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Incredible. Absolutely incredible. Only Kaine can be Dem POTUS if HRC drops out surely?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

If Trump wins then Apple might move to the UK!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What do you call "a few"? 1 million, 2 milllion, 5 million, more?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

small sums available though looking at it.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

The FBI's reputation is now on the line. They're effectively saying Mrs Clinton is unfit for office.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

On the most generous interpretation, Clinton = Nixon
This discussion has been closed.