Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : October 27th 2016

124»

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Mortimer said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

I thought this was amusing on Election Data:

http://election-data.co.uk/by-election-previews-27-10-16

Starting this week in a town which is probably fairly high up the “hate list” for many people in Granadaland. The North Wales coast has some nice seaside towns, but Rhyl is not one of them: it’s as brash and in-your-face as Blackpool but without Blackpool’s charm. Rhyl West is the town centre division, running from the railway station to the seafront and including the West Parade, the Seaquarium and the eyesore that is the Marine Lake, whose redevelopment was a casualty of the financial crash and has since been stymied by the fact that it’s located on the River Clwyd floodplain. It says something about the town that the most high-profile thing to have happened here in recent years involved Ched Evans.

:D
    Rhyl is a real shame - used to be (50 years ago) the go to tourist location for the entire NW of England. My mother grew up there and a number of my family live there.

It seriously, seriously needs some businesses to open there. If the Tories can stimulate some development, council seats like that are ripe for the taking. I see the results are out - safe Labour hold on poor turnout. Why people actively vote Labour there is beyond me - they've done nothing visibly to counter the decline in decades....

The parly seat that contains Rhyl went Tory at the last election, FYI.
    Places like Rhyl, Skegness and the Isle of Wight have a reasonable outcome from Brexit. Domestic holidays are cheaper than foreign, and fewer will retire to the costas.

If only we could speed up this global warming malarkey. Should have started years ago!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

You strike me as someone keen to find a way to make any fact, however inconvenient for you, fit your thesis that Brexit is an unmitigated disaster.

So far it's been a roaring success

This is great news, right?

@EdConwaySky: Last night Apple quietly raised the UK prices of its computers to reflect the fall in the pound. So a 4K iMac that was £1,199 is now £1,449

I imagine all of our domestic producers of popular consumer electronics are cheering this morning...
    Do you think its possible for the UK to run a £100bn current account deficit every year for ever ?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/timeseries/hbop/pnbp
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Morning Joe really are wrinkling their noses at the latest Hillary money grubbing exploits

Bruce Porter Jnr
    Bill+Hillary Clinton traded public service for $100,000,000's of dollars personally & their staff was in on it.#MAGA https://t.co/AacqNp3cy4
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

Mortimer said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

I thought this was amusing on Election Data:

http://election-data.co.uk/by-election-previews-27-10-16

Starting this week in a town which is probably fairly high up the “hate list” for many people in Granadaland. The North Wales coast has some nice seaside towns, but Rhyl is not one of them: it’s as brash and in-your-face as Blackpool but without Blackpool’s charm. Rhyl West is the town centre division, running from the railway station to the seafront and including the West Parade, the Seaquarium and the eyesore that is the Marine Lake, whose redevelopment was a casualty of the financial crash and has since been stymied by the fact that it’s located on the River Clwyd floodplain. It says something about the town that the most high-profile thing to have happened here in recent years involved Ched Evans.

:D
    Rhyl is a real shame - used to be (50 years ago) the go to tourist location for the entire NW of England. My mother grew up there and a number of my family live there.

It seriously, seriously needs some businesses to open there. If the Tories can stimulate some development, council seats like that are ripe for the taking. I see the results are out - safe Labour hold on poor turnout. Why people actively vote Labour there is beyond me - they've done nothing visibly to counter the decline in decades....

The parly seat that contains Rhyl went Tory at the last election, FYI.
    Places like Rhyl, Skegness and the Isle of Wight have a reasonable outcome from Brexit. Domestic holidays are cheaper than foreign, and fewer will retire to the costas.

If only we could speed up this global warming malarkey. Should have started years ago!
    Every little helps.

Few will think I'm right here, but support for Labour is soft as anything. And I'm told it was Leave land (though it won't be shown in the figures, as the wealthier outlying districts would have been more Remainy, from family anecdote)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    HYUFD said:

The increase in white voteshare in North Carolina is unlikely to be voters inspired by Hillary

Clearly they can't be WWC as you advised me they vote on election day. Perhaps they're college educated whites and women voters ....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    edited October 2016

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

i.e. the reporting by the Remain inclined media ("Australia won't negotiate with the UK while they are members of the EU") is very misleading.

Reading some of today's reports on the Nissan decision it would appear some think its bad news.......

Our failure to collapse into recession also gets minimal coverage......
    For all of my lifetime, British economic policy has been a mix of capitalism and State intervention, and I expect that will continue. Purist free enterprise ended after WWI.
    Precisely.

What a lot of moaning by purists for nothing. Real people's livelihoods have been looked after.

But we can be a miserable lot of old bu ggers in this country.
    You didn't seem so bothered when Redcar was going down the tubes. But the political imperative wasn't there at the time was it?
    Personally, I am not bothered by either, and don't have any problem, in principle, with the government taking a more pro-active approach to protecting and growing British Industry.

The two issues arising from the Nissan situation are, firstly, that one company appears to have been given a pretty open-ended promise of protection against future uncertainty, which by extension applies to the whole industry and potentially other industries as well. As taxpayers this suggests that we may just have put our names to a blank cheque.

And secondly, that the company appears to have been told more about government plans than even our parliament, and then sworn to secrecy. Meanwhile the government minister goes on the radio and is evasive to the point that it is obvious something has been promised that he doesn't want to reveal.

Of course, if our negotiating position with the EU is to oppose tariffs, we undercut our position by publicly offering protection against them in advance. But on the face of it, that is what we have done - can the government really expect this to remain secret (everything else is leaking from a cabinet divided amongst itself and from many officials)? - and, even if it does, the EU follows the media and it is already obvious the government has gone out on a limb here.

This episode indicates a degree of panic by the government about the implications of Brexit for our industry, were things left to take their course, to the point where it is prepared to abandon its free market ideology. And in the worst case scenario we would have taken back control by not only inflicting damage upon ourselves but by volunteering to pay for the treatment as well.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,310
    Sean_F said:

Charles said:

i.e. the reporting by the Remain inclined media ("Australia won't negotiate with the UK while they are members of the EU") is very misleading.

Reading some of today's reports on the Nissan decision it would appear some think its bad news.......

Our failure to collapse into recession also gets minimal coverage......
    Agreed. There's nothing bad about protecting British industry and jobs.

I think it's now widely acknowledged that the early Thatcher years left our industry so unprotected that manufacturing went to the wall.

However, I think we have to get used to the fact that Remoaners are eagerly awaiting any scrap of bad news they can possibly grab. Miserable lot.
    You hypocrites. Your party is supposed to be about free enterprise, not state bungs. As we're still a mrmber of the EU I wonder whether some people will be interested in this deal from the perspective of state aid?
    For all of my lifetime, British economic policy has been a mix of capitalism and State intervention, and I expect that will continue. Purist free enterprise ended after WWI.
    Absolutely. And it's great that most recently this economic policy has been set by foreign motor manufacturers.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

If there were no explicit financial guarantees as both the govt and Nissan are claiming then it seems to me that the PM has passed one of her first big Brexit tests with flying colours which bodes well for a 'smooth and orderly' withdrawal from the EU.

Good morning Mr May
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

Precisely.

What a lot of moaning by purists for nothing. Real people's livelihoods have been looked after.

But we can be a miserable lot of old bu ggers in this country.
    You didn't seem so bothered when Redcar was going down the tubes. But the political imperative wasn't there at the time was it?
    Personally, I am not bothered by either, and don't have any problem, in principle, with the government taking a more pro-active approach to protecting and growing British Industry.

The two issues arising from the Nissan situation are, firstly, that one company appears to have been given a pretty open-ended promise of protection against future uncertainty, which by extension applies to the whole industry and potentially other industries as well. As taxpayers this suggests that we may just have put our names to a blank cheque.

And secondly, that the company appears to have been told more about government plans than even our parliament, and then sworn to secrecy. Meanwhile the government minister goes on the radio and is evasive to the point that it is obvious something has been promised that he doesn't want to reveal.

Of course, if our negotiating position with the EU is to oppose tariffs, we undercut our position by publicly offering protection against them in advance. But on the face of it, that is what we have done - can the government really expect this to remain secret (everything else is leaking from a cabinet divided amongst itself and from many officials)? - and, even if it does, the EU follows the media and it is already obvious the government has gone out on a limb here.

This episode indicates a degree of panic by the government about the implications of Brexit for out industry, were things left to take their course, to the point where it is prepared to abandon its free market ideology. And in the worst case scenario we would have taken back control by not only inflicting damage upon ourselves but by volunteering to pay for the treatment as well.

Or, it indicates that people are trying to sh*t stir, as with the Australian comments, to get the government to reveal their hand. Which May won't do.

Rinse and repeat for the next good post-Brexit news.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    edited October 2016
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

The increase in white voteshare in North Carolina is unlikely to be voters inspired by Hillary

Clearly they can't be WWC as you advised me they vote on election day. Perhaps they're college educated whites and women voters ....
    Most white working class voters probably will vote on the day but any increase in early vote turnout will likely come more from that group who do not vote as consistently as college educated whites
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

MP_SE said:

IanB2 said:

UKIP backing Zak (which I suspect also has something to do with avoiding another poor result) may well help the LibDems, in an area like Richmond. Indeed I wouldnt be surprised to see the LibDems start referring to him as "..backed by UKIP".

And the lib dem candidate being associated with Jenny Tonge may attract some interesting comments from their opponents
    Amusing to see Tim Farron claim that a vote for the Lib Dems is a vote for a Britain that is open, tolerant & united. Not quite sure the party of Jenny Tonge and David Ward can be described as being open, tolerant & united.
    Repeat my question from the last thread .

What is your motivation/agenda for keeping posting that the Lib Dem candidate in Richmond is " associated - whatever that means " with Jenny Tonge ?
    Come along don't be shy , show us your true colours .
    She is a vile, racist, antisemitic scumbag. What more do you want from the story?
    She is anti Israel mistreatment of the Palestinians. I don't know whether she is against the creation of the state of Israel i.e. anti-Zionist, probably yes. But she isn't anti Jewish. Many Jews are against the Israeli mistreatment of the Palestinians. Are they antisemite racists too?

The charge of antisemitism is thrown around by supporters of Israel to shut down criticism. But it devalues the meaning and force of the word.

Some time ago, Dr Tonge's daughter was electrocuted in her kitchen in a freak accident leaving two small children. She has received hate mail from supporters of Israel saying they are glad her daughter died. Now that really is vile.

Let us reserve words like vile, racist and antisemitic to their real meaning lest we undermine the power of the words.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

You strike me as someone keen to find a way to make any fact, however inconvenient for you, fit your thesis that Brexit is an unmitigated disaster.

@EdConwaySky: Last night Apple quietly raised the UK prices of its computers to reflect the fall in the pound. So a 4K iMac that was £1,199 is now £1,449

I imagine all of our domestic producers of popular consumer electronics are cheering this morning...
    Do you think its possible for the UK to run a £100bn current account deficit every year for ever ?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/timeseries/hbop/pnbp
    Quite a revealing pattern to the current account deficit under Osborne:

2010-11 £30bn
    2011-12 £52bn
    2012-13 £63bn
    2013-14 £85bn
    2014-15 £93bn
    2015-16 £109bn

All years being q3 to q2.

Still I'm sure Scott will explain how if Remain had won the rest of the world would continue to give Britain ever more goods and services than it received in return.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Barnesian said:

MP_SE said:

IanB2 said:

UKIP backing Zak (which I suspect also has something to do with avoiding another poor result) may well help the LibDems, in an area like Richmond. Indeed I wouldnt be surprised to see the LibDems start referring to him as "..backed by UKIP".

And the lib dem candidate being associated with Jenny Tonge may attract some interesting comments from their opponents
    Amusing to see Tim Farron claim that a vote for the Lib Dems is a vote for a Britain that is open, tolerant & united. Not quite sure the party of Jenny Tonge and David Ward can be described as being open, tolerant & united.

What is your motivation/agenda for keeping posting that the Lib Dem candidate in Richmond is " associated - whatever that means " with Jenny Tonge ?
    She is a vile, racist, antisemitic scumbag. What more do you want from the story?
    She is anti Israel mistreatment of the Palestinians. I don't know whether she is against the creation of the state of Israel i.e. anti-Zionist, probably yes. But she isn't anti Jewish. Many Jews are against the Israeli mistreatment of the Palestinians. Are they antisemite racists too?

The charge of antisemitism is thrown around by supporters of Israel to shut down criticism. But it devalues the meaning and force of the word.

Some time ago, Dr Tonge's daughter was electrocuted in her kitchen in a freak accident leaving two small children. She has received hate mail from supporters of Israel saying they are glad her daughter died. Now that really is vile.

Let us reserve words like vile, racist and antisemitic to their real meaning lest we undermine the power of the words.
    If she's such a nice person really, why has she been suspended by her party?

Of course, no matter what her views she doesn't deserve personal abuse related to a death in her family. No-one does.
  • Options
    Someone mentioned on an earlier thread the Prof who's predicted a Trump win and retrospectively modelled almost every winner for 100yrs

Interview with him here from 22:30 in

http://www.spreaker.com/user/mitchellvii/87-chance-trump-wins-10-27-interview-wit
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Barnesian said:

MP_SE said:

IanB2 said:

I think all most people are saying is that the LDs cant have it both ways. They criticise Zac for being supported by UKIP for some of their supporters having unsavoury views but wont accept that criticism on one of their own.
    They cant play this game of double standards all the time and hope to get away with it.
    The public will see through it.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Hey, Robert, can I switch my posting name to Dr Pangloss, or has that been reserved by ALL of the Brexiteers?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Someone mentioned on an earlier thread the Prof who's predicted a Trump win and retrospectively modelled almost every winner for 100yrs

http://www.spreaker.com/user/mitchellvii/87-chance-trump-wins-10-27-interview-wit

Only wrong in 2000
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    PlatoSaid said:

Nice graphic

Reuters
    Republicans control the state legislature and the governor’s office in 22 states, while Democrats control eight : https://t.co/lxj8k1EoH0 https://t.co/fKGOnpKRxS

Exactly why the election can't be rigged, against Trump.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Scott_P said:

Unwinding an overvalued pound is going to make foreign imports more expensive. It will encourage domestic production of essentials and help reduce the massive trade deficit. With luck, a little inflation will also encourage interest rates off the floor and restore a little normality to an economy that has been flatlining since 2008.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Unwinding an overvalued pound is going to make foreign imports more expensive. It will encourage domestic production of essentials and help reduce the massive trade deficit. With luck, a little inflation will also encourage interest rates off the floor and retire a little normality to the economy that has been flatlining since 2008.
    Cheers loudly.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    PlatoSaid said:

how d we feel about retrospective modelling for AGW then ?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    From John Harris (the man who spoke to Stoke): "Whatever your view, it is unquestionably the case that at this rate, the snowballing Brexit disaster will create a groundswell of public anxiety and outrage, and a big opportunity for a party willing to channel them. At the national level at least, this seems unlikely to be Labour, for three reasons: the number of “core” Labour voters who supported leave, the anti-EU inclinations of its leadership, and the general cluelessness that suggests it tends to view glaring political opportunities as some kind of bourgeois trick. In which case, there is one obvious candidate: the Liberal Democrats."

"As also evidenced by a steady stream of council byelection results, a proper Lib Dem revival may only be a matter of time. Whatever the contortions of the Labour leadership, I wonder about the Labour leaders of our big cities, and the first minister of Wales, and at what point they may break from their hopeless party line, and begin to pointedly question something that will so deeply damage the places where they hold power."
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Hey, Robert, can I switch my posting name to Dr Pangloss, or has that been reserved by ALL of the Brexiteers?

Answer the question Scott.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Unwinding an overvalued pound is going to make foreign imports more expensive. It will encourage domestic production of essentials and help reduce the massive trade deficit. With luck, a little inflation will also encourage interest rates off the floor and retire a little normality to the economy that has been flatlining since 2008.
    Do we really think interest rates are going to go up significantly?

I can't see it happening for 5 years - at least not past 1%.

I'm not an economist, but have head several convincing arguments that there is so much cash and so many debt instruments washing around the system that the fluctuating interest rates of the post war era are a thing of the past.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nunu said:

Now this is interesting. Maybe people vote for who look like them.

Josh Barro
    4h
    Josh Barro ‏@jbarro
    Nate Cohn's early vote-based model (Clinton to win NC by 6) bakes in a lower black share of electorate vs '12. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/north-carolina-early-vote-tracker.html
    Josh Barro
    4h
    Josh Barro ‏@jbarro
    Cohn has black voters as 21% of NC electorate (vs. 23% in 2012) but Clinton wins due to much better vote share among whites.

I didn't realise that the black lady who's Trump’s diversity spokesman is a life long Democrat and voted for Bernie. She also stood for Lt Gov in her area. She thinks many similar voters like her aren't voting for Hillary and the early voters who happen to be Democrats could be going Stein or Trump in significant numbers.

Who knows?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    IanB2 said:

From John Harris (the man who spoke to Stoke): "Whatever your view, it is unquestionably the case that at this rate, the snowballing Brexit disaster will create a groundswell of public anxiety and outrage, and a big opportunity for a party willing to channel them. At the national level at least, this seems unlikely to be Labour, for three reasons: the number of “core” Labour voters who supported leave, the anti-EU inclinations of its leadership, and the general cluelessness that suggests it tends to view glaring political opportunities as some kind of bourgeois trick. In which case, there is one obvious candidate: the Liberal Democrats."

"As also evidenced by a steady stream of council byelection results, a proper Lib Dem revival may only be a matter of time. Whatever the contortions of the Labour leadership, I wonder about the Labour leaders of our big cities, and the first minister of Wales, and at what point they may break from their hopeless party line, and begin to pointedly question something that will so deeply damage the places where they hold power."

Might work in his head, but I think the man who spoke to stoke should go to Stoke and ask them what they think about:

- Tory immigration policy
    - Tory grammar school suggestions

And if they think the Labour party led by Corbyn OR the EU-loving Lib Dems are the solution to any problem....
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I've predicted the winner of the Grand National correctly every year since 1921. Only got 1997 wrong. I'll let you know how the model is doing after the next race.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

Most white working class voters probably will vote on the day but any increase in early vote turnout will likely come more from that group who do not vote as consistently as college educated whites
    Who might they be? ....

You might also like to factor in that 18 NC GOP controlled boards restricted early voting ..... strangely in heavy Democrat areas. One county had 26 sites reduced to 1.

More early voting centres are opening from today, so a better guide to trends will come next week.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,310
    Alistair said:

I've predicted the winner of the Grand National correctly every year since 1921. Only got 1997 wrong. I'll let you know how the model is doing after the next race.

1993?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    PlatoSaid said:

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

Now this is interesting. Maybe people vote for who look like them.

Josh Barro
    4h
    Josh Barro ‏@jbarro
    Nate Cohn's early vote-based model (Clinton to win NC by 6) bakes in a lower black share of electorate vs '12. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/north-carolina-early-vote-tracker.html
    Josh Barro
    4h
    Josh Barro ‏@jbarro
    Cohn has black voters as 21% of NC electorate (vs. 23% in 2012) but Clinton wins due to much better vote share among whites.

I didn't realise that the black lady who's Trump’s diversity spokesman is a life long Democrat and voted for Bernie. She also stood for Lt Gov in her area. She thinks many similar voters like her aren't voting for Hillary and the early voters who happen to be Democrats could be going Stein or Trump in significant numbers.

Who knows?
    Stein isn't on the ballot in NC!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Chortle .... :smile:
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,227
    nunu said:

PlatoSaid said:

Nice graphic

Reuters
    Republicans control the state legislature and the governor’s office in 22 states, while Democrats control eight : https://t.co/lxj8k1EoH0 https://t.co/fKGOnpKRxS

Exactly why the election can't be rigged, against Trump.
    It must be rigged, he's losing.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Only wrong in 2000
    As I understand his model, he predicted the right winner of popular vote, but not electoral college - it's a fluke result
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,678
    Scott_P said:

Thus writes Mrs Lott, Mona to her friends.....
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Do we really think interest rates are going to go up significantly?

I can't see it happening for 5 years - at least not past 1%.

I'm not an economist, but have head several convincing arguments that there is so much cash and so many debt instruments washing around the system that the fluctuating interest rates of the post war era are a thing of the past.
    The BoE are tasked with targeting inflation. Yes, we are not going to see rates back at 5% any time soon, but 1-2% would be a kick start to the economy that it desperately needs.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    The US election has been hit by the black swan that is Katie Hopkins.

https://twitter.com/prisonplanet/status/791777305081315328
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Alistair said:

Lol,for most of us I t's difficult enough trying to predict the winner of a chaotic 40-horse, 4 1/2m handicapped steeplechase once in a lifetime!
  • Options
    timmo said:

Barnesian said:

MP_SE said:

IanB2 said:

I think all most people are saying is that the LDs cant have it both ways. They criticise Zac for being supported by UKIP for some of their supporters having unsavoury views but wont accept that criticism on one of their own.
    They cant play this game of double standards all the time and hope to get away with it.
    The public will see through it.
    The LibDems haven't criticised Zac for being supported by UKIP (yet) but I very much doubt it will be on the grounds that Kippers have unsavoury views. It will be to reinforce the fact that Zac is a long standing Leaver (like his father Lord Goldsmith the founder of the original anti-EU Referendum Party). And that the people of Richmond Park deserve someone who will represent their views on the EU better than Zac does.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Good news Remainers, your leader has spoken.

"The UK should keep its "options open" over Brexit, Tony Blair has said, adding that he does not rule out another referendum on the subject."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37797127
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Only wrong in 2000
    As I understand his model, he predicted the right winner of popular vote, but not electoral college - it's a fluke result
    my newly developed model predicts that a man will win the presidency, and has been correct for every single presidential election so far
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited October 2016
    Barnesian said:

MP_SE said:

IanB2 said:

Awkward.

"It also emerged that the anti-Israel peer had earlier shared an article about “Jewish power” being behind Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn’s current woes.'

http://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/baroness-tonge-shares-article-about-jewish-power/
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Scott_P said:

Thus writes Mrs Lott, Mona to her friends.....
    Every silver lining has a cloud.
  • Options
    Ooh, two quick wickets brings England in to 2.6 and the draw out to 4.3. A profitable half an hour's betting.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,227
    glw said:

"The UK should keep its "options open" over Brexit, Tony Blair has said, adding that he does not rule out another referendum on the subject."

Top trolling from Mr Tony. Leavers will be spluttering all day over his audacity.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

Might work in his head, but I think the man who spoke to stoke should go to Stoke and ask them what they think about:

- Tory immigration policy
    - Tory grammar school suggestions

And if they think the Labour party led by Corbyn OR the EU-loving Lib Dems are the solution to any problem....
    This time he isn't writing about Stoke.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    glw said:

If anyone should know the danger of precipitate action it's Tony...
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Only wrong in 2000
    So on that basis Trump could win popular vote and Hillary electoral college. Certainly similarities, two uninspiring candidates loathed by the other side plus replace Nader with Johnson
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    And another wicket! England now favourites.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Barnesian said:

MP_SE said:

IanB2 said:

Awkward.

"It also emerged that the anti-Israel peer had earlier shared an article about “Jewish power” being behind Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn’s current woes.'

http://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/baroness-tonge-shares-article-about-jewish-power/
    Below, Charles has linked to a page on UK Media Watch ("Promoting fair and accurate reporting of Israel") It reprints a letter Jenny Tonge wrote to the Guardian:

"Jonathan Freedland’s article rightly pointed out how Jewish people and other ethnic and religious groups are discriminated against and criticised in many subtle ways. It is always deplorable.

What Freedland and many other commentators refuse to accept, however, is that criticism of Israel and Zionists who support that country is not antisemitism. It is anti-Israeli government, pure and simple. When I refer to Israel and the Israel lobby I mean just that. For me it has nothing to do with Jewish people in general. We are drawing attention to Israel’s disregard of international law and its apartheid system at home, causing huge suffering to the Palestinians and danger to the wider Middle East.

Freedland does no favours to Jewish people worldwide to look for antisemitism where none exists. Many of them deplore the policies of the Israeli government as much as I do. To accuse people of antisemitism in these circumstances does a disservice to Jewish people and protects Israel from the condemnation it deserves.
    Jenny Tonge
    House of Lords"

UK Media Watch then goes on to say:

"Tonge has clearly demonstrated a malign obsession with Jews and the alleged power of the ‘Israel lobby’, and the decision by the Guardian to provide her a forum to weigh on the extremely serious issue anti-Jewish racism is, in a word, “deplorable”."
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:
    why not just quote the wsj?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Borough,

"Leavers will be spluttering all day over his audacity."

Not 'spluttering' but 'laughing'. If you have to rely on Tony, you've already lost. But then you have, haven't you?

A new dawn is breaking. Isn't life grand?
  • Options

glw said:

Top trolling from Mr Tony. Leavers will be spluttering all day over his audacity.
    He's not trolling. He's a diehard leaver. But he knows his own reputation. This is a deep-cover, false-flag, double bluff, psy-attack paid for by CCHQ, Vladimir Putin and Spectre. There is somewhere an EU-hating overlord laughing deeply as he strokes his fluffy white cat. Anyway that's how I see it in my entirely rational and considered way.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Only wrong in 2000
    So on that basis Trump could win popular vote and Hillary electoral college. Certainly similarities, two uninspiring candidates loathed by the other side plus replace Nader with Johnson
    He thinks Trump's primary perf is the clincher. All his methodology is on his website.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,125
    HYUFD said:

619 said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

So Republicans are still ahead in Florida then in early voting, Obama won it by 0.88% in 2012. Of course you will pick the numbers which are most pro Hillary which was why you left out the Ohio, Iowa and GA numbers. Goodnight

Please don't judge others by your own standards. I quoted the summary paragraph from the introductory section in full. Ohio, Iowa and Georgia aren't mentioned in the introductory section at all, probably because neither Ohio nor Georgia reports party affiliation. As you've raised Iowa, what the article says about that state is:
    Democrats lead early ballot requests in Iowa, 43 percent to 35 percent. But that lead is narrower than 2012, when Democrats held an advantage of 14 percentage points. Obama ultimately won the state by 5 percentage points.

On the face of it, on the simplest assumptions, those figures would imply a one percent Republican victory. But if Trump were just scraping a win in Iowa, it would be very doubtful if he could take states like Pennsylvania or his other targets in the mid-West, wouldn't it?

And I repeat - it's absolutely meaningless to say things like "So Republicans are still ahead in Florida then in early voting, Obama won it by 0.88% in 2012." Obviously you need to ask "How far ahead are they?" and "How far were they ahead at this stage last time?" And then make some kind of quantitative comparison.
    republicans were ahead in early voting in florida overall in 2012. HYUFD just doesnt ackowledge any anti trump stats
    Democrats were actually ahead in final Florida early voting in 2012
    Yes, they were. But the point is that early voting is a combination of postal voting (where the Republicans lead) and in-person voting (where the Democrats lead), so things will change according to what proportion of postal and in-person votes have been cast. That's why a bald statement that "Republicans are still ahead" is absolutely meaningless.

I already quoted to you what that article said:
    In Florida, more than 2.4 million voters have already returned ballots. In-person voting began Monday, and Democrats have pulled virtually even with Republicans, at 41 percent each. That's a much faster rate of catch-up than in 2012 and 2008, when Barack Obama won the state.

That last statement actually seems difficult to reconcile with the official numbers and the information other people have posted. But that depends on a quantitative comparison with last time. And if in the next few days the Democrats move into the lead, that bald fact won't tell us much either. We'll need to gauge how big their lead is, and - again - how it compares with their lead last time.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Only wrong in 2000
    He thinks Trump's primary perf is the clincher. All his methodology is on his website.
    seems a bit sus though.

"To gauge primary performance in 2016 I decided to include the South Carolina Primary along with New Hampshire. "

a little bit "add on the number you first thought of"
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

619 said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

So Republicans are still ahead in Florida then in early voting, Obama won it by 0.88% in 2012. Of course you will pick the numbers which are most pro Hillary which was why you left out the Ohio, Iowa and GA numbers. Goodnight

Please don't judge others by your own standards. I quoted the summary paragraph from the introductory section in full. Ohio, Iowa and Georgia aren't mentioned in the introductory section at all, probably because neither Ohio nor Georgia reports party affiliation. As you've raised Iowa, what the article says about that state is:
    Democrats lead early ballot requests in Iowa, 43 percent to 35 percent. But that lead is narrower than 2012, when Democrats held an advantage of 14 percentage points. Obama ultimately won the state by 5 percentage points.

On the face of it, on the simplest assumptions, those figures would imply a one percent Republican victory. But if Trump were just scraping a win in Iowa, it would be very doubtful if he could take states like Pennsylvania or his other targets in the mid-West, wouldn't it?

And I repeat - it's absolutely meaningless to say things like "So Republicans are still ahead in Florida then in early voting, Obama won it by 0.88% in 2012." Obviously you need to ask "How far ahead are they?" and "How far were they ahead at this stage last time?" And then make some kind of quantitative comparison.
    republicans were ahead in early voting in florida overall in 2012. HYUFD just doesnt ackowledge any anti trump stats
    Democrats were actually ahead in final Florida early voting in 2012
    Yes, they were. But the point is that early voting is a combination of postal voting (where the Republicans lead) and in-person voting (where the Democrats lead), so things will change according to what proportion of postal and in-person votes have been cast. That's why a bald statement that "Republicans are still ahead" is absolutely meaningless.

I already quoted to you what that article said:
    In Florida, more than 2.4 million voters have already returned ballots. In-person voting began Monday, and Democrats have pulled virtually even with Republicans, at 41 percent each. That's a much faster rate of catch-up than in 2012 and 2008, when Barack Obama won the state.

That last statement actually seems difficult to reconcile with the official numbers and the information other people have posted. But that depends on a quantitative comparison with last time. And if in the next few days the Democrats move into the lead, that bald fact won't tell us much either. We'll need to gauge how big their lead is, and - again - how it compares with their lead last time.
    The latest figures still show the Republicans +45000 postal -34500 In Person
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Only wrong in 2000
    Loathed by many on their own side, not just the other party. That radio interview was painful to listen to. The interviewer really did not need to say yeah every ten seconds, and the pundit seemed to be rowing back or qualifying some of what was put to him.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,617
    So Blair is making moves towards establishing the 'Say no to Brexit Party'.

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited October 2016
    I see Bangladesh are learning how to play cricket by studying 'great' England collapses performances.
This discussion has been closed.