Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : October 27th 2016

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TOPPING said:

Stage 1: Nissan executives very publicly go to Downing Street to meet with our Prime Minister amidst reported concerns of post-Brexit UK landscape.
    Stage 2: Nissan makes announcement that it will continue to produce existing and begin to produce new models in the UK.

You missed : UK minister flies to Japan to grovel with an open cheque book...
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Scott_P said:

TOPPING said:

Stage 1: Nissan executives very publicly go to Downing Street to meet with our Prime Minister amidst reported concerns of post-Brexit UK landscape.
    Stage 2: Nissan makes announcement that it will continue to produce existing and begin to produce new models in the UK.

You missed : UK minister flies to Japan to grovel with an open cheque book...
    They take cheques?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,783
    I hate to interrupt the Brexiteer circle jerk, but there is an absolutely horrible documentary on BBC Four about a surgeon transplanting synthetic tracheas into people, despite no experimental evidence before the fact that it would work and growing evidence after the fact that they were infection factories that ended up killing the patients. OH GOD IT'S HORRIBLE!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    619 said:

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

Clinton building a different coalition then Obama:
    Dave Wasserman ‏@Redistrict
    Early vote pattern beginning to emerge nationally: higher enthusiasm among liberal whites & Latinos vs. '12, lower enthusiasm among AAs.

Plus higher enthusiasm amongst white working class, less amongst millenials
    Doesn't matter he is getting less support from white voters overall compared to Romney. A killer.
    Depends which poll you look at, overall he still leads the white vote comfortably and if white working class voters turn out for Trump who could not be bothered to vote for Romney he could even surpass his performance. Some pollsters also have him taking over 10% of the African American vote ie above what Romney got
    what, 3 pollsters out of 20? (the worse ones as well(
    Until election night we have no way of knowing which are the worst polls, they could even be the 3 best pollsters if it is very close or Trump even produces a shock win!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,310

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MP_SE said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    Odd. Why should Sunderland backing Brexit have any hearing on the issue. It's like the i thinks Brexiteers should receive punishment bearings or something
    The

Swedenand his elite

Poland have today demanded the loss of powers for the Commission and the resignation of Juncker.

The WTO have said that the UK's trade would transfer seamlessly on exit of the single market.

All in all a good day for Independent UK

The Remoaners' behaviour today has been quite illuminating. It is obvious that they would prefer to see the UK suffer in order to push their Europhile agenda.
    iencies into the system.
    Do you really think that any substantial investment is made anywhere without palms being greased (metaphorically or otherwise)? And do you really think that details of the greasing are ever readily made available?
    Well rarely are they made while rubbing the host government's face in it to such an extent.

Edit: plus surely as a Brexiter you are interested at the very least to know what the deal was, given that it might have been one that chipped away at the referendum result?
    I am both interested and a realist, the realist in me enables me to move on. I missed the face rubbing, perhaps you would enlighten me.
    Which is the offensive bit that you would rather hadn't happened?
    Fuck me you're making this challenging.

If the government made a deal to transfer wealth from the UK taxpayer to a private manufacturing company then that introduces inefficiencies into the system. The globally competitive manufacturing system.

It benefits Nissan and the North East (talking to you @HYUFD and @Big_G_NorthWales). But either other companies will demand equivalent government subsidies or Nissan UK will compete on the basis of government subsidies which is a sub-optimal mode of operating in a globally competitive environment. Not to say it will be sustainable by future governments in which case then what?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MP_SE said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    Odd. Why should Sunderland backing Brexit have any hearing on the issue. It's like the i thinks Brexiteers should receive punishment bearings or something
    The

Swedenand his elite

Poland have today demanded the loss of powers for the Commission and the resignation of Juncker.

The WTO have said that the UK's trade would transfer seamlessly on exit of the single market.

The Remoaners' behaviour today has been quite illuminating. It is obvious that they would prefer to see the UK suffer in order to push their Europhile agenda.
    It is legitimate to ask what the deal offered to Nissan was. If it was a cost to the government then that is a transfer from the taxpayer to a private company (albeit one which provides benefit to a subset of those taxpayers). If they make that transfer in this case, what other transfers to other private companies will be promised? And why to this sub sector of the economy?

Look at it as analogous to buying fair trade products. Unambiguously benefiting those producers but an unbalanced transfer of wealth for the overall economy which introduces inefficiencies into the system.
    Do you really think that any substantial investment is made anywhere without palms being greased (metaphorically or otherwise)? And do you really think that details of the greasing are ever readily made available?
    Well rarely are they made while rubbing the host government's face in it to such an extent.

Edit: plus surely as a Brexiter you are interested at the very least to know what the deal was, given that it might have been one that chipped away at the referendum result?
    I am both interested and a realist, the realist in me enables me to move on. I missed the face rubbing, perhaps you would enlighten me.
    Are you seriously suggesting the PM should not actively promote the UK and persuade business to invest in the future post Brexit.
    Maybe they just like to moan about it?
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MP_SE said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    The

Swedenand his elite

It is legitimate to ask what the deal offered to Nissan was. If it was a cost to the government then that is a transfer from the taxpayer to a private company (albeit one which provides benefit to a subset of those taxpayers). If they make that transfer in this case, what other transfers to other private companies will be promised? And why to this sub sector of the economy?

Look at it as analogous to buying fair trade products. Unambiguously benefiting those producers but an unbalanced transfer of wealth for the overall economy which introduces inefficiencies into the system.

Just remember when we leave the EU we wont be constrained by their state aid rules..:

We can do pretty much what we want.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2016
    Serious allegation on newsnight. And they have named the individual...despite no charges.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MP_SE said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    The

Swedenand his elite

It is legitimate to ask what the deaer transfers to other private companies will be promised? And why to this sub sector of the economy?

Are you seriously suggesting the PM should not actively promote the UK and persuade business to invest in the future post Brexit.
    C-

PB is your chance to discuss stuff. You're not exactly hitting it out of the park, are you?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MP_SE said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    The

Swedenand his elite

iencies into the system.

If the government made a deal to transfer wealth from the UK taxpayer to a private manufacturing company then that introduces inefficiencies into the system. The globally competitive manufacturing system.

It benefits Nissan and the North East (talking to you @HYUFD and @Big_G_NorthWales). But either other companies will demand equivalent government subsidies or Nissan UK will compete on the basis of government subsidies which is a sub-optimal mode of operating in a globally competitive environment. Not to say it will be sustainable by future governments in which case then what?
    The offensive bit is?
  • Options
    timmo said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MP_SE said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    The

Swedenand his elite

Just remember when we leave the EU we wont be constrained by their state aid rules..:

Absolutely. We can subsidise all our industries. Luckily, we know how that turns out.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MP_SE said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    The

Swedenand his elite

Yes these remoaners want our economy to slump.
  • Options
    timmo said:

How much taxpayers money do we want to gift to International Car manufacturers?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,617
    Just dropping by...

Leeds Central CLP AGM tonight - total Corbynite takeover.
  • Options
    timmo said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MP_SE said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    The

Swedenand his elite

Just like the French.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited October 2016
    HYUFD said:

nunu said:

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

Clinton building a different coalition then Obama:
    Dave Wasserman ‏@Redistrict
    Early vote pattern beginning to emerge nationally: higher enthusiasm among liberal whites & Latinos vs. '12, lower enthusiasm among AAs.

Plus higher enthusiasm amongst white working class, less amongst millenials
    Doesn't matter he is getting less support from white voters overall compared to Romney. A killer.
    Depends which poll you look at, overall he still leads the white vote comfortably and if white working class voters turn out for Trump who could not be bothered to vote for Romney he could even surpass his performance. Some pollsters also have him taking over 10% of the African American vote ie above what Romney got
    Do u want a bet he won't get over 5% of African American vote, well use fox news exit poll? Put your money where your mouth is.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    nunu said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

Not long now to end this dreadful US election. I am past caring but am very embarrassed for the US having such dreadful candidates and cannot see a happy ending no matter who wins

Drawing equivalence between the two candidates says more about your own prejudices than anything g else.

Frankly right ideologues, who know intuitively that Trump is diabolical, and still cannot bring themselves to say maybe it is better that the US go with Hillary, really demonstrate how blinded they are by their ideology.

I prefer Plato and MonikaDi Canio to be honest. At least they have a refreshing honesty
    If I was American I would probably vote for Hillary with reservations but as a Brit I think Trump is a better bet for post-Brexit UK, his trade adviser has said he will do a trade deal with the UK before the EU, Hillary, like Obama, would put the UK 'at the back of the queue' behind the EU.
    If I was in Poland I would be very fearful of a Trump presidency.
    I might be wrong but didn't the poles elect a lot that make trump look like president pc.
    Poland won't invade Russia. On the other hand.....

But difference is America is racially divided and has deep seated problems with race, and they don't need someone who will make those divisions much worse.
    I do think Trump is right about those votes being taken for granted though.
    Because GOP hasn't given the Dems any competition. And neither is Trump.
    Yep, but that doesn't make it right.
    AA unemployment is half of what it was when he came to power, things could and have been worse.
    Hasn't it been halved across the board?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    MP_SE said:

IanB2 said:

UKIP backing Zak (which I suspect also has something to do with avoiding another poor result) may well help the LibDems, in an area like Richmond. Indeed I wouldnt be surprised to see the LibDems start referring to him as "..backed by UKIP".

And the lib dem candidate being associated with Jenny Tonge may attract some interesting comments from their opponents
    Amusing to see Tim Farron claim that a vote for the Lib Dems is a vote for a Britain that is open, tolerant & united. Not quite sure the party of Jenny Tonge and David Ward can be described as being open, tolerant & united.
    Repeat my question from the last thread .

What is your motivation/agenda for keeping posting that the Lib Dem candidate in Richmond is " associated - whatever that means " with Jenny Tonge ?
    Come along don't be shy , show us your true colours .
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MP_SE said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    The

Swedenand his elite

It is legitimate to ask what the deaer transfers to other private companies will be promised? And why to this sub sector of the economy?

C-

PB is your chance to discuss stuff. You're not exactly hitting it out of the park, are you?
    I like to keep things short but obviously not as short as you.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The government agreed to pick up the tab for tariffs? The cheque will be cashed if there are tariffs on car exports from the UK to the EU.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

IanB2 said:

UKIP backing Zak (which I suspect also has something to do with avoiding another poor result) may well help the LibDems, in an area like Richmond. Indeed I wouldnt be surprised to see the LibDems start referring to him as "..backed by UKIP".

And the lib dem candidate being associated with Jenny Tonge may attract some interesting comments from their opponents
    Amusing to see Tim Farron claim that a vote for the Lib Dems is a vote for a Britain that is open, tolerant & united. Not quite sure the party of Jenny Tonge and David Ward can be described as being open, tolerant & united.

What is your motivation/agenda for keeping posting that the Lib Dem candidate in Richmond is " associated - whatever that means " with Jenny Tonge ?
    The same reason that anyone wants to associate a candidate with unsavory people.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

timmo said:

Perhaps you could point out your opposition to this:

' Japanese car giant Nissan praised the workforce at its UK plant today after announcing plans to build a new model under a £125 million investment programme, creating 2,000 jobs.

The vehicle will be built at the Sunderland plant from mid-2013 in a project supported by a £9.3 million grant from the Government, and will compete with models in the so-called B segment such as the Ford Fiesta and the VW Polo. '

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/nissan-announce-125m-uk-investment-programme-7541052.html

Or was that different because it was Cameron and Osborne handing out taxpayers money to international car manufacturers ?

• Options
    Brave of newsnight. Hope they haven't just done another macapline.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

I appreciate I am not the person you were asking, but I must point out that if the persuasion or promotion entails the transfer of public funds to private entities, then the sums should be made public. Government should not spend taxpayer money without letting the taxpayers know.

[edit: correct attribution]
  • Options
    edited October 2016

'Odd. Why should Sunderland backing Brexit have any hearing on the issue. It's like the i thinks Brexiteers should receive punishment bearings or something

The

Swedenand his elite

iencies into the system.

?

Stage 1: Nissan exe.

It benefits Nissan and the North East (talking to you @HYUFD and @Big_G_NorthWales). But either other companies will demand equivalent government subsidies or Nissan UK will compete on the basis of government subsidies which is a sub-optimal mode of operating in a globally competitive environment. Not to say it will be sustainable by future governments in which case then what?'

The Leave vote was to gain some control of our borders and not submit everything to the demands of global laissez-faire (as indeed most major nations whether France, Russia, the US or China do not either), if that means providing a bit of support to a key manufacturing industry in a relatively low income part of the country so be it
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

timmo said:

Gift, cheques - Christmas must be coming
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MP_SE said:

Charles said:
    Tgood day for Independent UK

iencies into the system.
    Do you really thble?

Fuck
    The offensive bit is?
    K, this seems to be a reasonably boring exchange, so I shall end it shortly. Bed calls.

The offensive bit is that quite brazenly a foreign-owned firm held our government hostage and seems to have extracted some form of benefit in order to be persuaded to remain in the UK. Which could encourage others to try to extract similar benefits.

Of course we don't know what the deal is and you don't care. But I think we as a nation should care. Laura Kuenssberg does, for example. So do I. You not. Okey dokey.
  • Options
    Ken loach on qt...has he got a new movie out by any chance?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Serious allegation on newsnight. And they have named the individual...despite no charges.

What's the story?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Cookie said:

What's the story?
    Not sure I want to get OGH in trouble, but Allegation of sexual assault by a senior person in the paedo inquiry. alleged victim didn't want to press charges, but newsnight named the individual anyway.
  • Options
    RobD said:

nunu said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

Not long now to end this dreadful US election. I am past caring but am very embarrassed for the US having such dreadful candidates and cannot see a happy ending no matter who wins

Drawing equivalence between the two candidates says more about your own prejudices than anything g else.

Frankly right ideologues, who know intuitively that Trump is diabolical, and still cannot bring themselves to say maybe it is better that the US go with Hillary, really demonstrate how blinded they are by their ideology.

I prefer Plato and MonikaDi Canio to be honest. At least they have a refreshing honesty
    If I was American I would probably vote for Hillary with reservations but as a Brit I think Trump is a better bet for post-Brexit UK, his trade adviser has said he will do a trade deal with the UK before the EU, Hillary, like Obama, would put the UK 'at the back of the queue' behind the EU.
    I might be wrong but didn't the poles elect a lot that make trump look like president pc.

But difference is America is racially divided and has deep seated problems with race, and they don't need someone who will make those divisions much worse.
    AA unemployment is half of what it was when he came to power, things could and have been worse.
    More reasons to vote Dem.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I appreciate I am not the person you were asking, but I must point out that if the persuasion or promotion entails the transfer of public funds to private entities, then the sums should be made public. Government should not spend taxpayer money without letting the taxpayers know.

It wasn't my post but, being an atheist, I hope you will nevertheless allow me to associate myself with it.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    nunu said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

More reasons to vote Dem.
    In spite of, or because of? ;)
  • Options

Just dropping by...

Will they select far left councillor candidates for local elections.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

IanB2 said:

The suggestion is that the lib dems will associate Zac with UKIP as they are supporting him so what is good for the goose is good for the gander
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Cookie said:

What's the story?
    Not sure I want to get OGH in trouble, but Allegation of sexual assault by a senior person in the paedo inquiry. alleged victim didn't want to press charges, but newsnight named the individual anyway.
    OK - understand the need to tread carefully, even if the BBC couldn't give a rat's arse for such niceties.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MP_SE said:

Charles said:

iencies into the system.
    Do you really thble?

Fuck
    The offensive bit is?
    K, this seems to be a reasonably boring exchange, so I shall end it shortly. Bed calls.

The offensive bit is that quite brazenly a foreign-owned firm held our government hostage and seems to have extracted some form of benefit in order to be persuaded to remain in the UK. Which could encourage others to try to extract similar benefits.

Of course we don't know what the deal is and you don't care. But I think we as a nation should care. Laura Kuenssberg does, for example. So do I. You not. Okey dokey.
    Nighty night and God bless LK and all who sail in her.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Just dropping by...

That can't augur terribly well for Hilary Benn?
  • Options
    Nissan have been the beneficiaries of numerous government grants and tax allowances over the years:

' In February 1984, Nissan under the leadership of Takashi Ishihara, President of Nissan from 1977 to 1985 and the Government signed an agreement to build a car plant in the UK. The following month, a 799-acre (3.23 km2) greenfield site in Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, was chosen. As an incentive, the land was offered to Nissan at agricultural prices; around £1,800 per acre. '

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Motor_Manufacturing_UK

' Margaret Thatcher had to intervene to prevent the abolition of certain tax breaks scuppering the massive jobs deal.

The prime minister had secured a pledge for massive inward investment from Nissan, the first Japanese car company to enter the UK, by promising favourable tax breaks to the firm’s president. '

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/revealed-how-margaret-thatcher-saved-6464068

' Nissan has received almost £80 million in grants from British Governments over the past ten years, with politicians bending over backwards to persuade the Japanese car giant to invest in its Sunderland car production plant. As recently as March 2010 it was awarded £21 million to develop the all-electric Nissan Leaf. '

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2230999/Nissan-sells-UK-cars-Switzerland-tax-ruse.html

' Japanese car giant Nissan praised the workforce at its UK plant today after announcing plans to build a new model under a £125 million investment programme, creating 2,000 jobs.

The vehicle will be built at the Sunderland plant from mid-2013 in a project supported by a £9.3 million grant from the Government, and will compete with models in the so-called B segment such as the Ford Fiesta and the VW Polo. '

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/nissan-announce-125m-uk-investment-programme-7541052.html

' Many of the companies receiving the largest public grants over the past few years previously paid little or zero corporation tax, the analysis shows. They include some of the best-known names in Britain, such as Amazon, Ford and Nissan. '

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/07/corporate-welfare-a-93bn-handshake

Yet its only now that some people have got all upset.

Why is that I wonder.

• Options
    nunu said:

Just dropping by...

Will they select far left councillor candidates for local elections.
    Some branches definitely. Worth noting that there are ward boundary changes, and all seats will be contested in 2018, not the usual one-third.
  • Options

Just dropping by...

That can't augur terribly well for Hilary Benn?
    He was putting on a brave face...
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    "Assurances" have mutated into "subsidies" in a matter of hours.

• Options
    Today seems to have shown up remainer's actively hoping that Nissan and the car industry leaves in an attempt to say 'I told you so'. It is really depressing and unacceptable
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,125
    There's a bullish report for Clinton from Fox News based on early voting statistics:
    Clinton is showing strength in Florida and North Carolina, both must-win states for Trump, as well as the battleground states of Nevada, Colorado and Arizona. There are even favorable signs for Clinton in Republican-leaning Utah and Texas.
    http://www.fox5ny.com/news/214051542-story

• Options

viewcode said:

It wasn't my post but, being an atheist, I hope you will nevertheless allow me to associate myself with it.
    Yes, sorry about that: I edited the tags wrong
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

MP_SE said:

IanB2 said:

The suggestion is that the lib dems will associate Zac with UKIP as they are supporting him so what is good for the goose is good for the gander
    Don Brind tried associating him with a race-row from the 1960s in the last thread. Associating the Lib Dems with one of their members - and a member of the legislature at that - seems tame in comparison.
  • Options

Today seems to have shown up remainer's actively hoping that Nissan and the car industry leaves in an attempt to say 'I told you so'. It is really depressing and unacceptable

I couldn't agree more and I keep this brief to avoid using much more intemperate language than you.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MP_SE said:

Charles said:

iencies into the system.
    Do you really thble?

Fuck
    The offensive bit is?

Nighty night and God bless LK and all who sail in her.
    :smile:
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Yes, sorry about that: I edited the tags wrong
    I really was not put out at all.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,453
    edited October 2016
    Chris said:

There's a bullish report for Clinton from Fox News based on early voting statistics:
    Clinton is showing strength in Florida and North Carolina, both must-win states for Trump, as well as the battleground states of Nevada, Colorado and Arizona. There are even favorable signs for Clinton in Republican-leaning Utah and Texas.

Fox News is the epitome of bloody biased liberal pro-Clinton mainstream media.
  • Options
    Chris said:

However 'In Ohio, the heavily Democratic counties of Cuyahoga and Franklin continue to show double-digit declines in ballot requests compared to 2012. The state does not break down ballots by party affiliation. By race, voter modeling by Catalist found the white share of Ohio ballot requests was up to 91 percent from 87 percent. The black share declined to 7 percent from 10 percent.
    Democrats lead early ballot requests in Iowa, 43 percent to 35 percent. But that lead is narrower than 2012, when Democrats held an advantage of 14 percentage points. Obama ultimately won the state by 5 percentage points.
    And in Georgia, which does not report party affiliation, ballots submitted are up from 2012, but mostly among whites.
    The white share of ballots rose a percentage point to 66 percent. The black share fell to 31 percent from 34 percent, according to Catalist.'

In North Carolina and Florida the Democrats had the advantage in early voting in 2012 but Romney won the former and the latter was very close
  • Options
    A few Leavers on Question Time whining about HMG not giving an insight into Brexit policy intentions.

SUCK IT UP!
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Rhyl west is the sort of seat that Cons should be winning from Lab. But on a cold, misty by-election night in October, anything could happen...
  • Options

A few Leavers on Question Time whining about HMG not giving an insight into Brexit policy intentions.

SUCK IT UP!

Bloody numpties... don't they know 'brexit means brexit'.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,620
    Mildly disturbing interview with Tony Schwartz (who wrote The Art of the Deal for Trump) on the BBC's Newsnight, claiming he has already made arrangements to leave the US should Trump win, as he fears for his personal safety.

Q. "Can you think of any redeeming personal qualities he might have ?"
    ...pause...
    "No."
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Mildly disturbing interview with Tony Schwartz (who wrote The Art of the Deal for Trump) on the BBC's Newsnight, claiming he has already made arrangements to leave the US should Trump win, as he fears for his personal safety.

...pause...
    "No."

Shock answer for someone who is campaigning for Clinton.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Rhyl west is the sort of seat that Cons should be winning from Lab. But on a cold, misty by-election night in October, anything could happen...

It's not cold but is a bit windy in North Wales tonight
  • Options

Just dropping by...

Was that caused by new pro-Corbyn members ?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

...pause...
    "No."

Shock answer for someone who is campaigning for Clinton.
    Not surprising he doesn't like the guy; the vehemence was something else.

• Options

Today we discovered the Brexiteers' definition of "taking back control" is to allow Japanese car makers to dictate terms to the UK Government.

I am having trouble comprehending that much Sovereignty in one lump...
  • Options
    I think the early-voting figures are quite useful even if one shouldn't try to over-interpret. What they do seem to be showing is that the polls look broadly right. That means there won't be either a Clinton landslide or a Trump victory; the probability distribution looks as though it should be closer to the NYT or even HuffPost models than to Nate Silver's, with its very long tails on both sides. It's looking increasingly as though we can be confident that the final Clinton ECV total will be in the range 320-350 or so.
  • Options
    RobD said:

SUCK IT UP!

Bloody numpties... don't they know 'brexit means brexit'.
    Skeeter Davis came to mind
  • Options
    There's something about Keir's hair.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Today we discovered the Brexiteers' definition of "taking back control" is to allow Japanese car makers to dictate terms to the UK Government.

So you would let Nissan leave then. Tell that to the 7,000 workers and 40,000 in the supply chain. Believe Toyota has also confirmed it is staying in the UK and no doubt Jaguar Land Rover will follow to commit to the UK post Brexit.

It is interesting that the German car manufacturers have said today they will not accept tariffs on the 850,000 cars exported to the UK.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Are you sure ?

Rhyl West was safely Labour even in 2008:

http://www.andrewteale.me.uk/leap/results/2008/423/
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Are you sure ?

Living up the coast from Rhyl I have never seen it as conservative territory
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    The government has clearly made some fairly strong promises to Nissan, desperate to avoid its Brexit strategy falling at the first hurdle. Greg Clark's lunchtime radio interview was a classic : he must have been asked four or five times about what assurances or compensation the government had offered, which he refused to answer positively or negatively, each time taking the discussion off into vague generalities about the government's supposed new pro-active industrial strategy.

Nissan has clearly been sworn to secrecy, although they did refer to 'assurances' from HMG in their first statement to the press.

I would assume that Cabinet and the relevant officials will need to be briefed at some point, and based on experience to date, that it will reach the press shortly thereafter.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

However 'In Ohio, the heavily Democratic counties of Cuyahoga and Franklin continue to show double-digit declines in ballot requests compared to 2012. The state does not break down ballots by party affiliation. By race, voter modeling by Catalist found the white share of Ohio ballot requests was up to 91 percent from 87 percent. The black share declined to 7 percent from 10 percent.
    Democrats lead early ballot requests in Iowa, 43 percent to 35 percent. But that lead is narrower than 2012, when Democrats held an advantage of 14 percentage points. Obama ultimately won the state by 5 percentage points.
    And in Georgia, which does not report party affiliation, ballots submitted are up from 2012, but mostly among whites.
    The white share of ballots rose a percentage point to 66 percent. The black share fell to 31 percent from 34 percent, according to Catalist.'

In North Carolina and Florida the Democrats had the advantage in early voting in 2012 but Romney won the former and the latter was very close
    That kind of comment is obviously meaningless, as it makes no reference to the numbers. What the article actually says about Florida is this:
    In Florida, more than 2.4 million voters have already returned ballots. In-person voting began Monday, and Democrats have pulled virtually even with Republicans, at 41 percent each. That's a much faster rate of catch-up than in 2012 and 2008, when Barack Obama won the state.

Perhaps that interpretation could be disputed with reference to the numbers, but vague waffle about "the Democrats were ahead but it was very close" is a waste of everyone's time.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The government has clearly made some fairly strong promises to Nissan, desperate to avoid its Brexit strategy falling at the first hurdle. Greg Clark's lunchtime radio interview was a classic : he must have been asked four or five times about what assurances or compensation the government had offered, which he refused to answer positively or negatively, each time taking the discussion off into vague generalities about the government's supposed new pro-active industrial strategy.

Nissan has clearly been sworn to secrecy, although they did refer to 'assurances' from HMG in their first statement to the press.

I would assume that Cabinet and the relevant officials will need to be briefed at some point, and based on experience to date, that it will reach the press shortly thereafter.

I think you will find that the whole car industry has received assurances and quite right to.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I agree. He's a bit... weird. Also his teeth,
    Vaguely reminiscent of a minor character in a Dilbert cartoon ?
    (The eyes almost look drawn on his face rather than being real...)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

And his voice. And his skin. And his posture. And his lifeless eyes.

Future Labour leader, nailed on.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

So you would let Nissan leave then. Tell that to the 7,000 workers and 40,000 in the supply chain. Believe Toyota has also confirmed it is staying in the UK and no doubt Jaguar Land Rover will follow to commit to the UK post Brexit.

It is interesting that the German car manufacturers have said today they will not accept tariffs on the 850,000 cars exported to the UK.
    Thatcher spent half her term bribing investors. Cf Docklands. It's just pragmatic politics. All governments do it. This is a ludicrous debate.
    It is from any standpoint but remainer's see it as fundamentally undermining their case and they are in panic mode
  • Options

Mortimer said:

It's not cold but is a bit windy in North Wales tonight
    My experience is that North Wales is always choppy, but then I'm a softy southerner with relatives in Rhyl and Llandudno...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Thus dies the future career of Keir Starmer as a Labour leader candidate. He's awful. A robot's idea of a political robot. He makes Ken Loach look witty. And Ken Loach is possibly retarded.

Steer calmer
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Are you sure ?

Yep - Mayism should actually help the inhabitants of Rhyl. I'm pretty sure Labour haven't helped them for decades. Shades of Scot Lab all over again.
  • Options
    Oh sorry, I was watching "You Only Live Twice" on ITV4 :)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Thatcher spent half her term bribing investors. Cf Docklands. It's just pragmatic politics. All governments do it. This is a ludicrous debate.
    It is from any standpoint but remainer's see it as fundamentally undermining their case and they are in panic mode
    I have supported it.

I like to see a centrist government subsidising worthwhile industries and having an industrial policy rather than advocating unrestricted free markets. It takes me back to my youth in the Seventies.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

I have supported it.

I like to see a centrist government subsidising worthwhile industries and having an industrial policy rather than advocating unrestricted free markets. It takes me back to my youth in the Seventies.
    I am sure you are pragmatic but unfortunately their are some who so love the EU they would do anything to stop us leaving
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Yup!

The interesting question is why Scotland has suddenly become so so good at producing plausible, likeable lesbian leaders: Davidson, Sturgeon, etc. Is is something in Highland Spring water?
    Afaik Sturgeon is currently hetero, but I think we red blooded Scotchmen can take some credit for the rest. The lesbian bit anyway.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I just had fantastic sex with a 21 year old Remainer.

I make this point solely to boast, and with no relation to politics, whatsoever.

Nothing like a bit of post-coitus PB
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Yes, we're definitely going to see a return to the Wilson/Sunny Jim era of 'picking winners'. Nissan had to be saved for post-Brexit cosmetic reasons, but it will be interesting to see how this and future governments will be with the pork-barrel strategy. For example, will this government attempt a vaguely even spread, or will they concentrate on the midlands and south and let the north go hang?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Yup!

The interesting question is why Scotland has suddenly become so so good at producing plausible, likeable lesbian leaders: Davidson, Sturgeon, etc. Is is something in Highland Spring water?
    Sturgeon a lesbian leader - are you sure
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    SeanT said:

I make this point solely to boast, and with no relation to politics, whatsoever.

Have they changed their mind?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Your cock is now tainted for ever!

Bwahhahahahahh!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Yup!

I thought Ms Sturgeon was married to a bloke, but who cares in the modern world.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Yes, we're definitely going to see a return to the Wilson/Sunny Jim era of 'picking winners'. Nissan had to be saved for post-Brexit cosmetic reasons, but it will be interesting to see how this and future governments will be with the pork-barrel strategy. For example, will this government attempt a vaguely even spread, or will they concentrate on the midlands and south and let the north go hang?
    Last time I looked Sunderland is in the North East. I would expect TM to spread the pot more in the North, Midlands and South West even more than the South, apart from Heathrow.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Probably has got a new movie out. Probably about the Evil Tories.

• Options
    perdix said:

It is and of course on benefits and the nasty Tories
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Nigelb said:

...pause...
    "No."

Actually the most damning criticism (and one I made in the debates), trump is unable to concentrate for more than 5 minutes. That is incredibly dangerous for a world leader.

Politicians lying & not being nice people behind the scenes, well hiliary has both in spades, but one thing you wouldn't say is she can't hold her shit together for a maximum of 5 minutes.

One positive that the civil.servants used to say about Cameron was they gave him stuff in his red box & he would sit, concentrate and get through the shit in a timely fashion.
  • Options
    Amusing to see Trump has been trying to win over Indian Americans (or rather Hindu Americans) with a Hindi slogan:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-37787347

The reaction from people in Delhi wasn't favourable:
    Student Kriti Kakkar was so amused she watched the video a few times over.
    "I thought the US was a developed country, but after seeing this man come this far, I am having serious doubts," she said.
    "How could they not know him? I have followed him since he used to host The Apprentice on television. He was so rude even then."
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    perdix said:

He has...all about how nasty the benefits system is & food banks. I am sure roger will love it.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Rother Collington Ind hold

Ind 818
    Con 393
    Lab 87
    UKIP 66

Rother Darwell Con hold

Con 359
    LDem 259
    Lab 79
    UKIP 60
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

Nigelb said:

...pause...
    "No."

Actually the most damning criticism (and one I made in the debates), trump is unable to concentrate for more than 5 minutes. That is incredibly dangerous for a world leader.

Politicians lying & not being nice people behind the scenes, well hiliary has both in spades, but one thing you wouldn't say is she can't hold her shit together for a maximum of 5 minutes.

One positive that the civil.servants used to say about Cameron was they gave him stuff in his red box & he would sit, concentrate and get through the shit in a timely fashion.
    It's hard to square the alleged short attention span with the other claim that Trump will relentlessly pursue something until he gets his way. Even Schwartz said he thought Trump had qualities that could be used for tremendous good in the right cause.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    SeanT said:

Is she now a remoaner ?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

Is she now a remoaner ?
    Post of the day secured at five past midnight.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

Is she now a remoaner ?
    She has just had a soft Brexit...
  • Options
    Chris said:

Amusing to see Trump has been trying to win over Indian Americans (or rather Hindu Americans) with a Hindi slogan:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-37787347

The reaction from people in Delhi wasn't favourable:
    Student Kriti Kakkar was so amused she watched the video a few times over.
    "I thought the US was a developed country, but after seeing this man come this far, I am having serious doubts," she said.
    "How could they not know him? I have followed him since he used to host The Apprentice on television. He was so rude even then."

Smart people.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

Is she now a remoaner ?
    She has just had a soft Brexit...
    SeanT successfully completed his "entry" talks, I see ;)
This discussion has been closed.