Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The by-election thread with Witney the main focus

Comments

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

Remaoners getting a kicking on QT from Hartlepool.

It's a very Brexit town - the audience are coming across as somewhat obsessive.
    It was the same in Hendon.

This is the new common ground of British politics.

Consequently, Labour are toast.
    What a hate-filled audience.

They shouted down anyone we dared to even suggest we need to actually figure out what happens next.

And they booed the poor Polish woman who had been living there for a 20 years.

Disgraceful showing. If that's mainstream, we're heading straight for dictatorship.

Is that the word you use when people who don't agree with you democratically decide something?
    I just call it as it is. Perhaps we were watching different shows.
    Honest question Mr Walker - are you an urbanite or a rural dweller?

I think this is going to be one of the biggest cleavages in the next century of our politics....
    I'm a filthy Islingtonite.

But I was born and grew up in a working class suburb of Auckland, NZ. My people are car mechanics, book-keepers, machinists.

I get it. I get the power of "take back control" and the feeling of not being heard. But I think I also recognise hate and intolerace.

I'm beginning to think Mr Meeks is right: whatever the rights and wrongs of Brexit, this campaign was won by appealing to people's basest instincts.

And now we reap what was sown. Hard Brexit - because it does not require discussion, understanding, tolerance - naturally follows.

To be honest, though, my ear is similarly attuned to the intolerance and narrowing of debate by no platforming, political correctness etc.

I suspect our bias wants us too....
    For sure. Perhaps if we two can find common ground...there is a path forward. I do not remember a country so divided, though my living political memory goes back to the late 80s only.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Andrew Neil making the very good point that Leave and Remain said Leaving would mean leaving the Single Market, so why the howling....

Because the question on the ballot paper was about leaving the EU. Everything else is up to Parliament.
    No it's not. Leaving the EU means leaving the Single Market, it is up to the government to sign a new deal and then for Parliament to ratify it. Has always been thus, Parliament has never controlled negotiations.
  • Options
    25% turnout in Batley - SKY news
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Entirely OT, but why do so many people struggle with the pronunciation of Ter-ease-a ?

Mother Te-rayz-a?
    Could be.

Is that actually how the nun's name was meant to be pronounced?

Well she was Albanian, but probably became famous via an Italian speaking Catholic media.

So who knows.

My white working class persona tells me it's Ter-ease-a May, and anything else is putting on airs.
    In Italian the stress is almost invariably on the second last syllable, so Pa-MEL-a rather than the British PAM-el-a. I am sure Theresa is no exception.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

It was the same in Hendon.

This is the new common ground of British politics.

Consequently, Labour are toast.
    What a hate-filled audience.

They shouted down anyone we dared to even suggest we need to actually figure out what happens next.

And they booed the poor Polish woman who had been living there for a 20 years.

Disgraceful showing. If that's mainstream, we're heading straight for dictatorship.

Is that the word you use when people who don't agree with you democratically decide something?

I think this is going to be one of the biggest cleavages in the next century of our politics....
    I'm a filthy Islingtonite.

But I was born and grew up in a working class suburb of Auckland, NZ. My people are car mechanics, book-keepers, machinists.

I get it. I get the power of "take back control" and the feeling of not being heard. But I think I also recognise hate and intolerace.

I'm beginning to think Mr Meeks is right: whatever the rights and wrongs of Brexit, this campaign was won by appealing to people's basest instincts.

And now we reap what was sown. Hard Brexit - because it does not require discussion, understanding, tolerance - naturally follows.

To be honest, though, my ear is similarly attuned to the intolerance and narrowing of debate by no platforming, political correctness etc.

For sure. Perhaps if we two can find common ground...there is a path forward. I do not remember a country so divided, though my living political memory goes back to the late 80s only.
    The Corn Laws caused a bit of upset :-)
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593

IanB2 said:

Why would that happen? Seriously the opposite is infinitely more likely.

In a trade negotiation size is everything.
    Bull. In a trade negotiation flexibility is everything. Besides our size is already big in its own right. Besides the US, China, EU and Japan we are the world's largest economy. The EU can't and won't sign a deal with itself and will not sign a deal with the US, China or Japan either (TTIP is dead). We might with those sign one independent of the EU.

For every other nation in the globe we are bigger than them.
    The EU has a problem negotiating trade deals - sectional interests. The answer (to the EU), is, of course, more integration.

The problem is that even a generation into a future USE, the political structure will be a patchwork quilt of sectional interests. A receipe for political gridlock on such matters....
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

25% turnout in Batley - SKY news

Around 20,000 votes. That's less than Labour won with last time when they polled 21,826.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147

IanB2 said:

Why would that happen? Seriously the opposite is infinitely more likely.

In a trade negotiation size is everything.
    Bull. In a trade negotiation flexibility is everything. Besides our size is already big in its own right. Besides the US, China, EU and Japan we are the world's largest economy. The EU can't and won't sign a deal with itself and will not sign a deal with the US, China or Japan either (TTIP is dead). We might with those sign one independent of the EU.

For every other nation in the globe we are bigger than them.
    The EU has a problem negotiating trade deals - sectional interests. The answer (to the EU), is, of course, more integration.

The problem is that even a generation into a future USE, the political structure will be a patchwork quilt of sectional interests. A receipe for political gridlock on such matters....
    Which major country or trading block has more free trade agreements than the EU?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    God the tension is unbearable.

Have the Eccentrics beaten the Loonies?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    Mortimer said:

Andrew Neil making the very good point that Leave and Remain said Leaving would mean leaving the Single Market, so why the howling....

A. Because it wasn't on the ballot paper, B. Because it would be dumb, and C. Because Gove promised specifically that we would still be in the "free trade zone" and it isn't obvious how else that would happen.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436

Mortimer said:

Because the question on the ballot paper was about leaving the EU. Everything else is up to Parliament.
    No it's not. Leaving the EU means leaving the Single Market, it is up to the government to sign a new deal and then for Parliament to ratify it. Has always been thus, Parliament has never controlled negotiations.
    Does it though? As has been said repeatedly by both sides, Norway has full access to single market.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Does it though? As has been said repeatedly by both sides, Norway has full access to single market.
    Yes it does. Norway joined the Single Market via the EEA. We could leave the EU and negotiate Single Market membership via the EEA if that is the route the government chooses to go down in negotiations and if the rest of the EEA agrees to us joining and if Parliament ratifies the deal.

If any of those don't happen though, our Single Market membership ends the day we leave the EU automatically.
  • Options
    I've not watched This Week in years. Neil is a little too dominant. They should use the time to get politicans to be indiscreet and thoughtful.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
  • Options
    A lot of crap was spoken in the campaign.

There was only one question on the ballot.

And one answer was given.

I now expect my government to deliver that, as best they can, with due regard to the security, prosperity, and sovereignty of the country.

As a parliamentary democracy, the government need to find a way of binding parliament to the course they pursue and negotiate.

End of.
  • Options
    Not sure there is much to add to the Brexit discussion but to me it's about the disparities. Leave/Remain in a binary referendum seems like the ultimate in Control. But as we are now discovering actually what Brexit will entail could be 10001 things. It's highly nuanced and my binary. I think that disparity is the first foundation of the continued culture war and political strife.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Labour gain Witham North ( Braintree DC ) from Conservatives
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

:

:

On reflection, it simply that the Plebs have revolted against the Optimates, and the Optimates views of the Plebs are out in the open. The Optimates are appalled to find that they are not loved by the Plebs.

How many times over the years have we heard of the progressive contempt for the lower orders? If I recall correctly, on one occasion, here, a couple of impeccably right-on posters enjoyed themselves describing a group of immigrants as a all tax dodging criminals, who were too stupid to integrate. They were, of course, talking of British working class immigrants to Spain...

A number of times over the years, we have had people on the Left calling on other progressive types not to demonise the filthy degenerates who infect the country with their awful behaviour. I recall a hilarious article in the Guardian by a lady who went "native" among the plebs for a few weeks. It was so utterly Sanders of The River.....

It is going to hurt, but think on this - What was the original idea behind all the elaborate concern shown to minority groups? What was the history? Why for example, when a crime is committed by someone from such a group, is a special effort made by those of... the proper tendencies.. to emphasise that "they are not all like that"??
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Just reinforces my opinion of her being a particularly dim individual.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Priti Patel's constituency? These by election results really are bad for the Tories.
  • Options

That's a "Priti" good result for the Corbynistas
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    MP_SE said:

Perhaps not quite as stupid as it sounds. If you look at the Paddington North By- election of October 1969 - and Wellingborough - December 1969 - both were straight fights with only Tory and Labour candidates. Also true I think of Bromsgrove in May 1971.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Y0kel said:

Scott_P said:
    Stepping back to focus on Watergate x1000?
    If Clinton wins there is every possibility of investigations around some of Trump's team's associations. Legal investigations. You don't want to be near it.
    Hell hath no fury.....
  • Options
    The second disparity is between a single day of decision, 23rd of June and the reality of years, perhaps a decade of negotiation. Ultimately Brexit won't be done until the successor FTA is done. Could be 7 years. Perhaps longer. If you have a single decisive day of destiny where ever voter is empowered then what you actually get is years of uncertainty the disparity is huge.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    justin124 said:

MP_SE said:

Perhaps not quite as stupid as it sounds. If you look at the Paddington North By- election of October 1969 - and Wellingborough - December 1969 - both were straight fights with only Tory and Labour candidates. Also true I think of Bromsgrove in May 1971.
    Erm, Jess wasn't even born then...

It was a foolish comment.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    justin124 said:

MP_SE said:

Those were almost 50 years ago. Times have changed a little bit since then wrt independent candidates.
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

MP_SE said:

Those were almost 50 years ago. Times have changed a little bit since then wrt independent candidates.
    But in even in that era some by elections did attract quite a few fringe candidates - eg Hull North in January 1966. My point really is that it has never been universal.
  • Options
    @Malmesbury

Ultimately there is more that unites us than divides us. Difference of class, or wealth, or political opinion vanish in the face of God, or Allah, or "the void".

I repeat though that this referendum has unleashed some dark forces. Indeed today is a by-election caused by the slaying of an MP by a nutter who was inflamed in some way by the debate.

She seems to have been half forgotten already, but let us not forget what her death says about the politics and society in the UK today.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Priti Patel's constituency? These by election results really are bad for the Tories.
    Browsing the ward demographics it looks like it should have been a Labour ward to start with; high proportion of social housing, low educational attainment, relatively young etc

• Options

I've not watched This Week in years. Neil is a little too dominant. They should use the time to get politicans to be indiscreet and thoughtful.

That's Mr Neil to you. :)
  • Options
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

MP_SE said:

But in even in that era some by elections did attract quite a few fringe candidates - eg Hull North in January 1966. My point really is that it has never been universal.
    It is pretty much universal now.
  • Options

That's Mr Neil to you. :)
    He's surely due a gong at some point?
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

MP_SE said:

That may be partly due to there being far fewer of them!
  • Options
    Thirdly there is the disparity of Control. Voters are asked to make a Soveriegn decision. They do. Then elites take it back and decide what it means.
  • Options

@Malmesbury

Ultimately there is more that unites us than divides us. Difference of class, or wealth, or political opinion vanish in the face of God, or Allah, or "the void".

I repeat though that this referendum has unleashed some dark forces. Indeed today is a by-election caused by the slaying of an MP by a nutter who was inflamed in some way by the debate.

She seems to have been half forgotten already, but let us not forget what her death says about the politics and society in the UK today.

My point is rather that the dark forces were always there, just not expressed.

Lots of places round the world look idyllic from the places where Roger would be barred from on the grounds that he isn't suitably cultured and rich enough.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

MP_SE said:

That may be partly due to there being far fewer of them!
    I am sure if there were more by elections there would still be a similar number of independent candidates.
  • Options
    Workington - November 1976 -only the three main party candidates!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Workington - November 1976 -only the three main party candidates!

Any in the last 20 years? As I said, people are much more likely to stand as independents these days.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    Further to previous discussion of claims that the Monster Vote might counter Clinton's Demonic advantage - Nate Silver concludes that filtering for turnout may give Trump a 0.8% advantage, compared with Romney's 2% advantage last time (which may have been an overestimate):
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-likely-voters-arent-helping-trump-much/?ex_cid=2016-forecast
  • Options
    Fourthly and finally is the disparity between Control and Dispossession. Because the referendum was framed by stories and exclusionary stories and in the end the current national story was supplanted by another story many will feel violated. If you were an elite in control it doesn't feel like you've taken back control. It feels like you've been mugged.

So imho June 23rd was a defining cultural event in our modern history. But if you look at the four disparities between how it was framed and how it will pan out it's a deeply unstable cultural event. The idea it would settle anything in the short term seems ludicrous. We've years of aftershocks until we reach the final durable Brexit settlement. Continued conflict is designed into it.
  • Options
    Lib Dem Gain
    St Mary's (E. Riding of Yorks.):
    LD: 40.0% (+28.7)
    CON: 25.3% (-3.2)
    LAB: 18.4% (+0.6)
    BEV: 9.7% (-1.2)
    IND: 3.8% (+3.8)
    UKIP: 2.7% (-10.3

Lib Dem Hold
    Clarence, St Albans
    LD 916 (57.0%; +6.1)
    Con 388 (24.1%; +3.0)
    Lab 193 (12.0%; -5.2)
    Grn 98 (6.1%; -3.7)
    UKIP 16 (0.8%)

PC Gain
    Blaengwrach, Neath Port Talbot
    PC 225 (48.0%; +3.6)
    Lab 143 (30.5%; -25.1)
    Ind 58 (12.4%)
    UKIP 39 (8.3%)
    Con 4 (0.9%)

Con Gain
    Strood South, Medway
    Con 724 (38.4%; +3.4)
    Lab 521 (27.7%; +3.5)
    UKIP 480 (25.5%; -13.1)
    Grn 74 (3.9%)
    LD 62 (3.3%)
    ED 23 (1.2%)

Con Hold
    Central Sandhurst (Bracknell Forest) result:
    CON: 69.3% (+6.3)
    LAB: 30.7% (+10.5)

Lab hold Central, Middlesbrough
  • Options
    Dental tests are already being used to assess the age of migrants, the Daily Mail can reveal.

The Home Office is under fire for ruling out tooth X-rays for youngsters coming to the UK from The Jungle camp in Calais.

Ministers claimed such checks were 'inaccurate, inappropriate and unethical'.

But last night it was revealed that UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI), the Home Office agency responsible for asylum claims, already accepts dental checks as proof of age, if provided by the migrant.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3857394/Are-dental-checks-child-migrants-unethical-No-Home-Office.html
  • Options
    26 candidates(!) at Haltemprice (David Davis) in 2008
    19 at Newbury, 1993
    18 at Kensington & Chelsea, 1999
    17 Chesterfield, 1994
    16 Bermondsey, 1983 and Brent East, 2003
    15 Kensington, 1988
    14 at Christchurch 1993, Corby, 2012, Eastleigh, 2013, Hartlepool, 2004, Mid Staffs, 1990, Tooting, 2016, Vauxhall 1989, and Witney 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_by-election_records#Most_candidates
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

NumbrCrunchrPolitics
    @NCPoliticsUK

#batleyandspen count has been completed, declaration imminent
  • Options
  • Options
    Next they will be predicting Clinton is going to win...
  • Options
    Periodic updates from Witney count at

http://www.witneygazette.co.uk/news/14815246.LIVE__Witney_by_election_count_and_results/

"Not long now"

Lib Dems expecting 25% - low after their big effort.

UKIP expecting fourth.
  • Options

http://www.witneygazette.co.uk/news/14815246.LIVE__Witney_by_election_count_and_results/

"Not long now"

UKIP expecting fourth.

"Not long now" - for verification to finish. They haven't even started counting.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

"Not long now"

UKIP expecting fourth.

I have a lot of friends who live in the Witney constituency. Most of them have complained about the amount of literature coming through their letterboxes - one of them described as being like the scene in Harry Potter when all the Hogwarts letters arrived for Harry filling up the Dursley house.

At least one person said that he wouldn't vote LD in protest at the amount of stuff they have shoved through his letterbox.

Sometimes trying too hard is off-putting.
  • Options
    Looks like Labour have taken about 85% in Batley & Spen.
  • Options

"Not long now"

UKIP expecting fourth.

I have a lot of friends who live in the Witney constituency. Most of them have complained about the amount of literature coming through their letterboxes - one of them described as being like the scene in Harry Potter when all the Hogwarts letters arrived for Harry filling up the Dursley house.

At least one person said that he wouldn't vote LD in protest at the amount of stuff they have shoved through his letterbox.

I can understand that more at by elections, too.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I don't recall, during any of the three POTUS debates, any mention of climate change.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I don't recall, during any of the three POTUS debates, any mention of climate change.

I think there was discussion on it in the second debate.
  • Options

"Not long now"

UKIP expecting fourth.

"Not long now" - for verification to finish. They haven't even started counting.
    Party agents should know the result fairly accurately by the end of verification though.
  • Options
    Indeed, just clarifying for those who might be thinking of staying up for the declaration.
  • Options
    Tracey Brabin - such a vapid acceptance speech. You would expect an actor to be capable of greater sincerity.
  • Options
    slade said:

Thanks to Mark Pack for this. If the LDs get 23.1% of the vote in Witney it is the best result in the seat this century. If they get 27.9% it is the best share of the vote in a Tory held bye-election since 2006. If they get 28.1% it is the best increase in the vote since 1993. Just shows how poor the resent record has been.

Hmm. If it's 25%, doing 2% or more better in a by-election than in the last few general elections won't really rank as an outstanding achievement. Still, it's a sign of life.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459
    edited October 2016
    Batley:

Labour Tracy Brabin 17,506 85.8 +42.6
    English Democrats Therese Hirst 969 4.8 N/A
    BNP David Furness 548 2.7 N/A
    Independent Garry Kitchin 517 2.5 N/A
    English Independence Corbyn Anti 241 1.2 N/A
    Liberty GB Jack Buckby 220 1.1 N/A
    Independent Henry Mayhew 153 0.8 N/A
    Independent Waqas Ali Khan 118 0.6 N/A
    National Front Richard Edmonds 87 0.4 N/A
    One Love Party Ankit Love 34 0.2 N/A
    Majority 16,537 81.0
    Turnout 20,393 25.8
    Labour hold Swing +1.7
  • Options
    Chris said:

slade said:

Thanks to Mark Pack for this. If the LDs get 23.1% of the vote in Witney it is the best result in the seat this century. If they get 27.9% it is the best share of the vote in a Tory held bye-election since 2006. If they get 28.1% it is the best increase in the vote since 1993. Just shows how poor the resent record has been.

Hmm. If it's 25%, doing 2% or more better in a by-election than in the last few general elections won't really rank as an outstanding achievement. Still, it's a sign of life.
    In the last general election the Lib Dems got 6.8% (down 12.7% from 2010)
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

I think someone called Ken Bone did mention environmental friendliness briefly during the second debate.
  • Options

Chris said:

slade said:

In the last general election the Lib Dems got 6.8% (down 12.7% from 2010)
    Yes, but I was looking at which of Dr Pack's benchmarks were met. What with his being such a competent spin doctor and knowing all about expectation management, I assume he was really hoping for 30% or more.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited October 2016
    Tim_B said:

There has been. Clinton has pushed that button in some of her Robo bits. Where as Trump just goes all GGGGGGGGhinnnaaaa..GGGGGGGGhinnnaaaa...GGGGGGGGhinnnaaaa
  • Options

"Not long now"

UKIP expecting fourth.

Normally better to focus on getting out the vote of canvassed supporters. Conservatives are good at this in the south because of their records from previous elections and having fulltime local agents which others can't afford.
  • Options
    Trump is being really funny at the Al Smith dinner.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Seems much less of an A-hole than in the debates :lol:
  • Options
    Witney

2:09am Keith Butler, the acting returning officer, has provided an update.

He says the result is expected at 3am at the moment. Verification is being done at the same time as counting, so once it is finished we should have a result very soon afterwards.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

OK - hes lost the funny now.
  • Options

Witney

He says the result is expected at 3am at the moment. Verification is being done at the same time as counting, so once it is finished we should have a result very soon afterwards.

I don't know why it takes them so long when other constituencies are able to finish by 1 or 2 in the morning.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

OK - hes lost the funny now.
    Hillary isn't pulling the punches.
  • Options
    In the circumstances Batley seems a fitting result. An emphatic Labour win but enough choice in the ballot paper to make dissent possible. I'd normally argue contested democracy is the best response to terrorism ( Eg Eastbourne ) but the specifics of Cox's murder where arguably even darker.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited October 2016
    Chris said:

Tim_B said:

I think someone called Ken Bone did mention environmental friendliness briefly during the second debate.
    Yeah, but in the context of saving the jobs of people who work in coal.

Also I think Hillary brought it up in the first one, in the context of Donald Trump Is A Nutcase.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    AndyJS said:

Witney

I don't know why it takes them so long when other constituencies are able to finish by 1 or 2 in the morning.
    They have to fly the ballot boxes in from Chipping Norton.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

AndyJS said:

Witney

Seems a tad excessive!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    RobD said:

Dadge said:

AndyJS said:

Witney

Seems a tad excessive!
    Couldn't Rebekah have lent them a horse?
  • Options
    Candidates and agents have just been summoned by the RO
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited October 2016
    Morning all. Still no result in Witney, what's taking them so long, surely it doesn't take five hours to count a couple of dozen thousand votes?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Morning all. Still no result in Witney, what's taking them so long?

Quite. Some of us need to get to bed!
  • Options
    Candidates going up by the looks of it...
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

Rumour has it that the Lib Dems are claiming the biggest swing to them against the Tories in 2 decades. – BTW, they appear to do things very slowly in Oxfordshire…
  • Options
    Result coming now
  • Options
    17313 Tory Candidate
  • Options
    Labour 5765
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Morning all. Still no result in Witney, what's taking them so long, surely it doesn't take five hours to count a couple of dozen thousand votes?

Looks like they heard you!
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    UKIP 1354
    Loony 129
  • Options
    LD 11611
  • Options
    As we thought. Safe hold.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    LD 11611
    Lab 5765
    Jug 59
  • Options
    Brandon Lewis MP Verified account ‏@BrandonLewis 2m2 minutes ago

Labour fall backwards in Witney & Ukip crash to 5th place behind Green Party.
  • Options
    LD cheering not proportional to their share ;)
  • Options
    Con maj = 5,702
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Over 5,000 majority wins with Ladbrokes then.
  • Options
    Greens beat UKIP by 9 votes.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Looks like they heard you!
    Yep, and it was the anticlimax that all bar a few excitable LDs were expecting. Back to bed!
  • Options
    RobD said:

LD cheering not proportional to their share ;)

True of more than just this result!
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Tory majority cut from 25,155 to 5,702. Labour vote was 63 votes higher than Tory majority.
  • Options
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 1m1 minute ago

Witney result:
    CON: 45.1% (-15.1)
    LDEM: 30.2% (+23.5)
    LAB: 15.0% (-2.2)
    GRN: 3.5% (-1.5)
    UKIP: 3.5% (-5.6)

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Tory majority cut from 25,155 to 5,702. Labour vote was 63 votes higher than Tory majority.

Turnout also down by about 25k.
  • Options
    Con 43 LD 29 Lab14?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I don't think tactical voting will work for LDs again after the coalition....
This discussion has been closed.