Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The by-election thread with Witney the main focus

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

Sky News correspondent at Witney: no doubt Tories have won the seat. "Big Tory majority, LDs probably second."

lol
    'probably'

Imagine if they're third....
    OGH will have threads with a black border for a month....
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307

Scott_P said:
    Stepping back to focus on Watergate x1000?
    If Clinton wins there is every possibility of investigations around some of Trump's team's associations. Legal investigations. You don't want to be near it.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    AndyJS said:

Sky News correspondent at Witney: no doubt Tories have won the seat. "Big Tory majority, LDs probably second."

Lol.

"probably second"...
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    AndyJS said:

Jobabob said:

Remaoners getting a kicking on QT from Hartlepool.

It's a very Brexit town - the audience are coming across as somewhat obsessive.
    Conrad Black wouldn't have got any applause in London I'm guessing.
    why is some foreign criminal coming over her being paid by my tax money?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    SeanT said:

One point on a second scottish vote. The supposed risk with a second vote is that if it is lost, then the issue is resolved forever/generations. We don't actually have anything to support that other than a 'not-particularly-comparable' quebec vote. there's no actual empirical evidence that you get 2 strikes and o when it comes to independence referendums, it's just one of those things 'they' say.

Realistically, say there is a 2nd vote, and the SNP lose by a slightly smaller margin than last time. For the next couple of years, yes people will say that the issue has been sealed recently, but it will only take another trigger event of any kind for the SNP to use it to go for a 3rd vote, while arguing that demographics have shifted significantly since then.

Nah, it's shite - because the SNP is now in parliamentary decline. They've peaked. Sturreon is not quite as good as Salmond, and her successor will be less good still.

The Nats are unlikely to get another majority for many years, after this Holyrood parliament. This IS their last chance. To that extent I agree with Meeks.
    They haven't yet quite completed a cycle of upswing yet though. They'll make big gains in next year's Scottish council elections, with equivalent losses for Labour. Even if they're down on 12-24 months ago, they're still up on where they were 5 years ago.
  • Options
    619 said:

AndyJS said:

Jobabob said:

He's British.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

It's also a Labour town. What does Labour offer them?
    Nothing. Same as everyone else. Corbyn is useless and has destroyed the party, as I say every damned day.
    Agree Corbyn is useless. Indeed, beyond useless. But has he destroyed the party? The jury is still out.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    619 said:

AndyJS said:

Jobabob said:

Wow.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Angela Rayner seems to be entirely monotone!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Some people on Twitter saying turnout in Witney could be as low as 25%. Sounds like total bollocks to me. It'll be at least 40% in such a middle-class area IMO.
  • Options
    houndtang said:

All this arguing about Brexit is so distressing. If only there was a democratic way to settle this... some kind of mass public vote maybe?

Yes, that would be great, except as we have recently discovered referendums are a bloody awful way to decide highly complex questions.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Red BNP politics are pretty grim. QT not otetty

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

It's also a Labour town. What does Labour offer them?
    Nothing. Same as everyone else. Corbyn is useless and has destroyed the party, as I say every damned day.
    Agree Corbyn is useless. Indeed, beyond useless. But has he destroyed the party? The jury is still out.
    For now. It is still rebuildable, perhaps.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    I'm going to end up with £9.12 of profit from this by-election ^_^;;
  • Options
    Sgt. Sunil: All right, sweethearts, you're a team and there's nothin' to worry about. We come here, and we're gonna conquer, and we're gonna kick some, is that understood? That's what we gonna do, sweethearts, we are going to go and get some. All right, people, on the ready line! Are ya lean?

PB Tories: Yeah!

Sgt. Sunil: Are ya mean?

PB Tories: Yeah!

Sgt. Sunil: WHAT ARE YOU?

PB Tories: LEAN AND MEAN!

Sgt. Sunil: WHAT ARE YOU? RobD! TSE! Get on the ready line, PB Tories, get some today! Get on the ready line! Move it out! Move it out, goddammit! Get hot! One, two, three, four! Get out, get out, get out! Move it out, move it out, move it out! Move it out, move it out, move it out! One, two, three, four, five, six, seven! Aaarrrrr, absolutely badasses! Let's pack 'em in! Get in there!

• Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited October 2016
  • Options
    Trump national political director 'steps back' from campaign

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/trump-national-political-director-steps-back-from-campaign-230120

Like rats from a...
  • Options
    Why is it that we always care about by-elections far more than the residents of the seat ever do :D ?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505

SeanT said:

One point on a second scottish vote. The supposed risk with a second vote is that if it is lost, then the issue is resolved forever/generations. We don't actually have anything to support that other than a 'not-particularly-comparable' quebec vote. there's no actual empirical evidence that you get 2 strikes and o when it comes to independence referendums, it's just one of those things 'they' say.

Realistically, say there is a 2nd vote, and the SNP lose by a slightly smaller margin than last time. For the next couple of years, yes people will say that the issue has been sealed recently, but it will only take another trigger event of any kind for the SNP to use it to go for a 3rd vote, while arguing that demographics have shifted significantly since then.

Nah, it's shite - because the SNP is now in parliamentary decline. They've peaked. Sturreon is not quite as good as Salmond, and her successor will be less good still.

The Nats are unlikely to get another majority for many years, after this Holyrood parliament. This IS their last chance. To that extent I agree with Meeks.
    They haven't yet quite completed a cycle of upswing yet though. They'll make big gains in next year's Scottish council elections, with equivalent losses for Labour. Even if they're down on 12-24 months ago, they're still up on where they were 5 years ago.
    If the SNP HAVE peaked - who benefits? Ruth Davidson is doing well for the Scottish Tories, but surely the number of SNP-Tory voters is negligible. Labour - and Scottish Labour - are hardly looking like winning back the lost voters of the Central Belt and East Coast right now. The Lib Dems? Apart from their strongholds around the edges of Scotland, the Lib Dems were only ever a minority interest in Scotland and they don't look like turning this around right now. Someone else? This is why I think the SNP can coast along quite happily for a bit yet - there's nowhere else for their voters to go.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Why is it that we always care about by-elections far more than the residents of the seat ever do :D ?

Something to do with the money we have staked on them?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    too slow
  • Options
    Solid turnout for a by-election that'll change nothing.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Because we're temporary LIb Dems?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Because we're weird.
  • Options
    So not 17% then. Pretty normal, in fact for a seat like this, I'd have thought.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/789236632406851584
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Some people on Twitter saying turnout in Witney could be as low as 25%. Sounds like total bollocks to me. It'll be at least 40% in such a middle-class area IMO.

Yeh, only urban seats where no one gives a f*** because they are under so much other pressure does turn out at a by-election hit 25%
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

It was the same in Hendon.

This is the new common ground of British politics.

Consequently, Labour are toast.
    What a hate-filled audience.

They shouted down anyone we dared to even suggest we need to actually figure out what happens next.

And they booed the poor Polish woman who had been living there for a 20 years.

Disgraceful showing. If that's mainstream, we're heading straight for dictatorship.

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @AndyJS

'Sky News correspondent at Witney: no doubt Tories have won the seat. "Big Tory majority, LDs probably second."

Surely that can't be true after all the endless Lib Dem ramping ?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    edited October 2016

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/789236632406851584

I suspect the earlier report was a second hand polling station report from a presiding officer before close of poll and left out postal voters and the normal 9.30pm rush
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

They shouted down anyone we dared to even suggest we need to actually figure out what happens next.

Disgraceful showing. If that's mainstream, we're heading straight for dictatorship.

Is that the word you use when people who don't agree with you democratically decide something?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Yeh, only urban seats where no one gives a f*** because they are under so much other pressure does turn out at a by-election hit 25%
    Turnout 47%
  • Options

619 said:

AndyJS said:

Jobabob said:

He's British.
    Hmm. Wasn't he Canadian? Then got British citizenship in order to get a peerage?
  • Options
    I am surprised we don't yet have the Batley turnout yet, particularly as it is reported to be low.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

Is that the word you use when people who don't agree with you democratically decide something?
    I just call it as it is. Perhaps we were watching different shows.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

It was a Hard Brexit for a Hard People.

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Win some, lose some...

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 1m1 minute ago
    Liberal Democrat GAIN St Mary's (East Riding of Yorkshire) from Conservative).

Conservative GAIN Strood South (Medway) from UKIP.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

To be fair the grauniad reporter was quoting Lib Dem sources saying one ward as low as 17%. It's not impossible there's a large turnout differential.

Though probably not, as I said take with a heap of salt.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

Good luck to Hartlepool when the post-Brexit economic crisis, run on the pound, payments crisis, public debt spiral nightmare hits.

They'll need it...
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

Honest question Mr Walker - are you an urbanite or a rural dweller?

I think this is going to be one of the biggest cleavages in the next century of our politics....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    Suzanne Evans 'taking soundings' about standing for leader.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

Good luck to Hartlepool when the post-Brexit economic crisis, run on the pound, payments crisis, public debt spiral nightmare hits.

They'll need it...
    Whether the audience was representative or not, it wasn't a good advertisement for Hartlepool.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

I think this is going to be one of the biggest cleavages in the next century of our politics....
    I don't think Hartlepool particularly rural.

Just a different sort of urban.

I went there in the eighties once. Not a lot to draw me back.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

Strikes me that the louder Leavers shout down everyone else who dares even mention what do we do next, the more they betray their deep underlying fear that they have made a monumental mistake.

They can stick their fingers in their ears and shout 'democracy' and 'we voted out' as long as they like, but it still doesn't explain what we will do about being in or out of the customs union.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

They'll need it...
    Whether the audience was representative or not, it wasn't a good advertisement for Hartlepool.
    Where was their monkey when he was needed?
  • Options

To be fair the grauniad reporter was quoting Lib Dem sources saying one ward as low as 17%. It's not impossible there's a large turnout differential.

Though probably not, as I said take with a heap of salt.
    Bet the 17% was an 'on the day' count and they forgot the postal votes, which probably add 15-20% in most wards.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    St Albans Clarence ward LD Hold

LD 916
    Con 388
    Lab 193
    Green 98
    UKIP 16
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940

Win some, lose some...

Conservative GAIN Strood South (Medway) from UKIP.

That was a Lib Dem gain from 4th place - the candidate was Dennis Healy ( no relation)
    The Strood seat was formerly held for UKIP by Mrs Mark Reckless.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Hartlepool hung Peter Mandelson and elected a French monkey.
  • Options

LOL. Is she asking whether anyone will punch her if she stands?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

Strikes me that the louder Leavers shout down everyone else who dares even mention what do we do next, the more they betray their deep underlying fear that they have made a monumental mistake.

They can stick their fingers in their ears and shout 'democracy' and 'we voted out' as long as they like, but it still doesn't explain what we will do about being in or out of the customs union.
    Yeah, it is the Leavers who seem most nervous of what happens next.

It is going to be Hard Brexit, and they are going to have to own it.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,881
    slade said:

That was a Lib Dem gain from 4th place

Lib Dems coming from 4th to win a seat from the Conservatives, you say........?
  • Options

TBF she comes across well and seems relatively sane for a UKIP
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

I'm a filthy Islingtonite.

But I was born and grew up in a working class suburb of Auckland, NZ. My people are car mechanics, book-keepers, machinists.

I get it. I get the power of "take back control" and the feeling of not being heard. But I think I also recognise hate and intolerace.

I'm beginning to think Mr Meeks is right: whatever the rights and wrongs of Brexit, this campaign was won by appealing to people's basest instincts.

And now we reap what was sown. Hard Brexit - because it does not require discussion, understanding, tolerance - naturally follows.

• Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

Yeah, it is the Leavers who seem most nervous of what happens next.

It is going to be Hard Brexit, and they are going to have to own it.
    I suspect the thinking leaver (e.g. Boris and co) is absolutely sh***** themselves about the contortions they are going to have to pull off.

• Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

Yes it does, we will be out of it. Out of the single market too and it will be about trying to negotiate the best possible bilateral trade deal between the UK and EU.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Genuinely surprised by 47% turnout. Thought it would be over 50%.

Congrats to Mark Senior who said it would be 48%.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TBF she comes across well and seems relatively sane for a UKIP
    She will hate being leader of that rowdy lot then
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

Yes it does, we will be out of it. Out of the single market too and it will be about trying to negotiate the best possible bilateral trade deal between the UK and EU.
    Then we face economic ruin.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

We've already got the best possible trade deal with the EU. Why not save the trouble and stick with it?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

I voted Leave. Ideally, I wanted some EFTA or EEA type arrangement. This remains my favoured solution, and Ill be disappointed if we don't end up with it. To be honest, I was never personally that bothered about immigration, and would personally be prepared to make some compromises on that score - but I'm lucky enough to have a middle-class income and can take a ore relaxed view of such things. But I voted leave accepting that it might result in a hard brexit. I'd rather not have a hard brexit, but we must be prepared for it in order to get any sort of deal at all. And I'd rather have a hard brexit than a hard remain.
  • Options
    Entirely OT, but why do so many people struggle with the pronunciation of Ter-ease-a ?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

The big question being to what extent that becomes obvious before the point of no return, and to what extent a nasty surprise afterwards.

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    IanB2 said:

I am surprised we don't yet have the Batley turnout yet, particularly as it is reported to be low.

Only 25.8%
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    East Riding Figures

LD 1497
    Con 947
    Lab 689
    Bev 364
    Ind 141
    UKIP 101
  • Options
    Artist said:

IanB2 said:

Only 25.8%
    I guess it is hardly a cliffhanger, and a big slice of the voters have no-one to vote for anyway.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Entirely OT, but why do so many people struggle with the pronunciation of Ter-ease-a ?

I've always found that strange too. It used to puzzle me why 'Theresa Green' was supposed to be an unfortunate name.
  • Options
    Artist said:

IanB2 said:

Only 25.8%
    Good grief - really?

That should have been contested - would have boosted turnout and proven the candidate, and the value of democracy....
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

We've already got the best possible trade deal with the EU. Why not save the trouble and stick with it?
    the cheap answer is because the leavers promised a load of bollx like £350m for the NHS. The longer answer is because the public, by a narrow %, want to leave the EU. The question is whether they will change their minds once the true implications are revealed.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mother Te-rayz-a?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

The big question being to what extent that becomes obvious before the point of no return, and to what extent a nasty surprise afterwards.

:+1::+1:

Personally, I think there will be a change of heart at some point as the negotiations drag on into years.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

Why? If we have a trade deal with the EU then that is the perfect "have cake and eat it" scenario.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

Because we have a terrible deal the nation has rejected.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

the cheap answer is because the leavers promised a load of bollx like £350m for the NHS. The longer answer is because the public, by a narrow %, want to leave the EU. The question is whether they will change their minds once the true implications are revealed.
    Conrad Black (despite being an odious character) is presumably well connected and his suggestion that the EU will come back with a last ditch final offer - which is what Boris both wanted and expected before the vote - is of some interest.
  • Options
    Artist said:

IanB2 said:

Only 25.8%
    Not good. Theoretically means winner could have won with less than 10% of the electorate if the other main parties had been standing.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

But I was born and grew up in a working class suburb of Auckland, NZ. My people are car mechanics, book-keepers, machinists.

I get it. I get the power of "take back control" and the feeling of not being heard. But I think I also recognise hate and intolerace.

I'm beginning to think Mr Meeks is right: whatever the rights and wrongs of Brexit, this campaign was won by appealing to people's basest instincts.

And now we reap what was sown. Hard Brexit - because it does not require discussion, understanding, tolerance - naturally follows.

To be honest, though, my ear is similarly attuned to the intolerance and narrowing of debate by no platforming, political correctness etc.

I suspect our bias wants us too....
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

Incidentally one aspect of why our current deal is the best possible is that we have an absolute guarantee that our competitors in France and Germany will not have preferential access to other markets. How sick would the free-trading Brexit mob be if the EU went on to sign significant FTAs that we were frozen out of?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

Why? If we have a trade deal with the EU then that is the perfect "have cake and eat it" scenario.
    Get back to me about your cake once the UK has negotiated a trade deal with the EU.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2016
    AndyJS said:

Artist said:

IanB2 said:

Only 25.8%
    Not good. Theoretically means winner could have won with less than 10% of the electorate if the other main parties had been standing.
    I expect if the other parties had stood, turnout would have been higher.

Nobody in mainstream politics wanted the byelection - it exists because we have a democratic system that has no proper protocol for what happens after a political assassination. By not standing, the respectable democratic parties entrench the convention.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

Both sides told bollocks like the £4300 per family that we'd be worse off if we left. What do you think is due to be revealed that hasn't already been said?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mother Te-rayz-a?
    Could be.

Is that actually how the nun's name was meant to be pronounced?

• Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

To be fair, I think the public get the implications.
    I've seen a few times Brexiters saying they understood very well the loss of the single market.

Now they may not be fully across the precise detail (witness the lady in the QT audience tonight who claimed the WTO was just as good) but they get the trade off of control for prosperity.

They just don't seem to care.

We Remainers who think it's a matter of explaining it more carefully are backing a losing horse.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Artist said:

IanB2 said:

Only 25.8%
    If other main parties had been standing then turnout would almost certainly have been higher.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

Get back to me about your cake once the UK has negotiated a trade deal with the EU.
    Sure. We can then also negotiate trade deals with America, Japan, Australia, India etc - get back to me when the EU does those.
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    At what point do remainers realise they are not that clever and that leavers are not all stupid.
    Remainers need to keep two things in mind either they were too stupid to convince the electorate that remain was the best choice or Brexit was actually the best choice.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

Incidentally one aspect of why our current deal is the best possible is that we have an absolute guarantee that our competitors in France and Germany will not have preferential access to other markets. How sick would the free-trading Brexit mob be if the EU went on to sign significant FTAs that we were frozen out of?
    Why would that happen? Seriously the opposite is infinitely more likely.
  • Options
    Andrew Neil making the very good point that Leave and Remain said Leaving would mean leaving the Single Market, so why the howling....
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

It's a very Brexit town - .

In a trade negotiation size is everything.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Dear Remainers

Sometimes people have greater motivations than their own back pocket to decide how they vote.

• Options
    25.8% turnout in Batley & Spen would be about 20,000 votes.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Because we're weird.
    "We must be SAD, literally SAD!"
  • Options
    Except it doesn't work that way. When the economy tanks and businesses that trade with EU shut up shop because Fox's fantasy trading arrangements with India didn't actually materialise, then the people out of work will forget which way they voted and start jumping up and down and moaning why is everything 10x worse than it was a few years ago.

Even if leaving the EU was a good idea at some point, we have picked a bloody bad time, economically, to give it a go.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mother Te-rayz-a?
    Could be.

Well she was Albanian, but probably became famous via an Italian speaking Catholic media.

So who knows.

My white working class persona tells me it's Ter-ease-a May, and anything else is putting on airs.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

As with Trump - all you need to do is to abandon people to your contempt for long enough. They will then find a cause.

A number of years ago I lived in the town of Malmesbury for a while. Lovely looking place - medieval stone buildings etc. The locals don't live in the nice part of the town. They live in the estate over the hill. Priced out. They are sneered at by the incomers - I was actually told off for drinking in a "local" pub, by a wonderfully progressive type. There is no development to "spoil" the locality with jobs - all carefully kept in check by the kind of people who blame Thatcher for the demise of British industry....

The funny bit is that the incomers don't understand why they are not liked - they pay cash in hand for the gardening/decorating jobs after all. And it is so natural to hate people who drink beer from tins and put English flags in their windows.... What could possibly be wrong with that?
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Dear Remainers

Sometimes people have greater motivations than their own back pocket to decide how they vote.

True. Vote now and pay later isn't nevertheless an ideal situation, even if putting the bill on the credit card is the more British approach.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

In a trade negotiation size is everything.
    Bull. In a trade negotiation flexibility is everything. Besides our size is already big in its own right. Besides the US, China, EU and Japan we are the world's largest economy. The EU can't and won't sign a deal with itself and will not sign a deal with the US, China or Japan either (TTIP is dead). We might with those sign one independent of the EU.

For every other nation in the globe we are bigger than them.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mother Te-rayz-a?
    Could be.

Well she was Albanian, but probably became famous via an Italian speaking Catholic media.

So who knows.

My white working class persona tells me it's Ter-ease-a May, and anything else is putting on airs.
    Or maybe Te-Razor.....
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Andrew Neil making the very good point that Leave and Remain said Leaving would mean leaving the Single Market, so why the howling....

Because the question on the ballot paper was about leaving the EU. Everything else is up to Parliament.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mother Te-rayz-a?
    Could be.

So who knows.

There was someone at my school called "Tree-sa". It took me a long time to work out their name was actually Teresa.
This discussion has been closed.