Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The by-election thread with Witney the main focus

124»

Comments

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    My Tories by 17.5% call wasn't far away...
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    kudos to @shadsy and Ladbrokes punters.

Odds were a very good indicator of the result.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Labour's vote held up as I thought it would, some decent pockets of support in the constituency who are still not willing to forgive the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Oh Good. I was just about to go to sleep before a Byelection result. That would have been another sign of middle age.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    New MP sounds like he's reading out a script written by Theresa May.
  • Options
    Artist said:

Labour's vote held up as I thought it would, some decent pockets of support in the constituency who are still not willing to forgive the Lib Dems.

The 'left' is split. Just like 83.

Con gain Bootle?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 1m1 minute ago

Witney result:
    CON: 45.1% (-15.1)
    LDEM: 30.2% (+23.5)
    LAB: 15.0% (-2.2)
    GRN: 3.5% (-1.5)
    UKIP: 3.5% (-5.6)

Not too bad for Labour really!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Witney result:

2020 Election campaign slogan?
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    Looks like inability to squeeze the Labour vote down has stopped the Lib Dems really competing here. Once upon a time we'd have had Labour down at 1,500 when challenging a Tory seat in a by-election.

One of the toxic legacies of coalition, the number of Labour voters who can't forgive the Lib Dems and will stick with Labour even in a hopeless fight.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    justin124 said:

Witney result:

Yep, seems as though they were immune to the LD squeeze.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

Witney result:

2020 Election campaign slogan?
    Well it certainly does not match the polls showing a Tory lead of 17/18%!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    UKIP in 5th place in a by-election surely says they are now out of the picture.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    LD's showing signs of life.

They'll be in with a chance of winning seats like Witney when Brexit gets messy.
  • Options
    Well of course the Tories' absolute majority has been slashed - the turnout was lower than at the GE!
  • Options
    Given the disproportionate effort mounted by the LibDems I would have thought this was a bit disappointing for them.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Given the disproportionate effort mounted by the LibDems I would have thought this was a bit disappointing for them.

Don't worry, they'll be winning parish by elections soon enough ;)
  • Options
    Pong said:

They'll be in with a chance of winning seats like Witney when Brexit gets messy.

I do josh the LDs, but unless Labour get their act together re deciding whether they're Leave/Remain, Brexit could be an extinction level event regardless of the level of success.
  • Options

Well of course the Tories' absolute majority has been slashed - the turnout was lower than at the GE!

Yes - but the Tories have lost 25% of their 2015 vote share despite UKIP's collapse!
  • Options

You and your 'maths' Sunil!!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    tpfkar said:

One of the toxic legacies of coalition, the number of Labour voters who can't forgive the Lib Dems and will stick with Labour even in a hopeless fight.

I expect there's also a chunk of Labour voters who want to give moral support to Jeremy Corbyn, what with the internal civil war still ongoing.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Yes - but the Tories have lost 25% of their 2015 vote share despite UKIP's collapse!
    Personal vote unwind ;)
  • Options
    Looks like there is something for everyone in those percentages. It was an unnecessary Byelection in fairly sui generis circumstances. Over 6 years into a Tory government a comfortable hold by 15% is a very good result for the Conservatives indeed. I expected the Labour and Green votes to be squeezed by more than that. In the circumstances they'll both be pleased not have been more effected by the Lib Dem Byelection machine. For the Lib Dems it's undoubtedly an excellent result. Any sign f life, and it's clearly that, is what they need for morale and media relavency. Clearly though it's going to take a while longer for the coalition's toxicity to wear off with other centre left voters. There were enough Green and Labour votwsa there to tip them over the edge. In a different era they may just have done so.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Somebody prod the witney gazette's liveblog team.

http://www.witneygazette.co.uk/news/14815246.LIVE__Witney_by_election_count_and_results/

YOU'VE MISSED YOUR BIG MOMENT
  • Options

Looks like there is something for everyone in those percentages. It was an unnecessary Byelection in fairly sui generis circumstances. Over 6 years into a Tory government a comfortable hold by 15% is a very good result for the Conservatives indeed. I expected the Labour and Green votes to be squeezed by more than that. In the circumstances they'll both be pleased not have been more effected by the Lib Dem Byelection machine. For the Lib Dems it's undoubtedly an excellent result. Any sign f life, and it's clearly that, is what they need for morale and media relavency. Clearly though it's going to take a while longer for the coalition's toxicity to wear off with other centre left voters. There were enough Green and Labour votwsa there to tip them over the edge. In a different era they may just have done so.

I see in these results exactly why Mrs May has turned the ship of government slightly to the Port - Tories are going to lose some Remain voters in the South.

Hence imperative to get the Leave voters who were trending UKIP as well as the Blue Labour voters that Thatcher won.
  • Options
    The real story of the Byelection is that a Remain MP has been replaced by a Leave one. As vacancies and retirements come up the selector are will do that in a lot of seats ( and not just Tory ones ). The clock is ticking.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Somebody, please prod the witney gazette's liveblog team.

http://www.witneygazette.co.uk/news/14815246.LIVE__Witney_by_election_count_and_results/

YOU'VE MISSED YOUR BIG MOMENT

Oh dear oh dear.....

I did read an excellent tweet which said the tweeter was one of 72 people for whom life must have gone wrong somewhere, watching the live result on facebook BBC feed....

For a second I felt a little indignant.....
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 912
    Four times the UKIP vote!! Excellent result.
  • Options
    Some will say that it is another example of Labour under Corbyn outperforming the forecasts of pundits. Maybe the pollsters have overadjusted!
  • Options
    Biggest Tory to Lib Dem swing since 1993, which I think proves that the Liberal by election machine is as formidable as ever. Good warm up for Richmond too!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Some will say that it is another example of Labour under Corbyn outperforming the forecasts of pundits. Maybe the pollsters have overadjusted!

A tenuous connection at best.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Some?

I don't think 1 person on PB is some, Mr Justin....
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

But it has been suggested post-Oldham by election - the May locals - Tooting By election.etc
  • Options
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

But it has been suggested post-Oldham by election - the May locals - Tooting By election.etc
    PR 101 - you don't highlight 'outperforming the forecasts of pundits' when you've slipped from 2nd to 3rd. You avoid interviews for a few days.
  • Options
    Goodnight all!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Pong said:

The Tory share will be back up at 60% in Witney at the general election. No chance of a LD gain.
  • Options
    It's certainly nice to see a flicker of life in the old girl. Like a beautiful reef in a sunken battleship. For old times sake I wish the Lib Dems well in these sorts of contests. Mid Term By Elections have become part of our uncodified constitution. They are a check on the executive. Ideally we'd have a mix of parties who can credibly challenge the government in every location. So to that extent I warmly welcome the result.

However in the circumstances it's a very good result for the Conservatives. #Mayday is still on.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    justin124 said:

Labour have been lucky in that most of the recent by-elections, like Witney and Oldham West, are not in white, lower-middle class seats like Nuneaton and Swindon where they would do very badly with Corbyn as leader. Witney is middle-class and university-influenced so Labour don't do too badly, and Oldham West was heavily ethnic minority so they did well there as well.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

PR 101 - you don't highlight 'outperforming the forecasts of pundits' when you've slipped from 2nd to 3rd. You avoid interviews for a few days.
    The key point psephologically is the change in vote share. The LibDems have clearly taken a lot of Tory votes. Labour is 2% above its 2010 vote share despite LibDem efforts to squueze their vote. Corbyn critics may be disappointed!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

The key point psephologically is the change in vote share. The LibDems have clearly taken a lot of Tory votes. Labour is 2% above its 2010 vote share despite LibDem efforts to squueze their vote. Corbyn critics may be disappointed!
    On the contrary, Corbyn critics will be very happy because these results keep him in place. They're not very representative of the marginals.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

On the contrary, Corbyn critics will be very happy because these results keep him in place. They're not very representative of the marginals.
    Corbyn's internal party critics do not want him kept in place!
  • Options
    edited October 2016

deleted
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207
    Lib Dems winning coming a decent second here!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Biggest Witney news of the night - Winston McKenzie (English Democrats) 52 votes 0.14%.
  • Options
    Highest LibDem vote-share at a Westminster by-election since Eastleigh, 2013.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    edited October 2016

Witney result:

Something for nearly everyone! (except possibly, UKIP, TSE & the Osbornites...)

Solid Tory mid-term hold despite unwind of PM's personal vote
    Good showing from the LIB Dems - 'Life in the Old Girl Yet'
    Solid Labour performance despite the recent strum & drang.....

Everybody happy! (Well, nearly everybody.....)

Expect a thread soon "Unelected PM TMay's failure to double the Tory Vote confirms 'Poundshop Gordon Brown' meme. George Osborne awaits expectant nation's call"

• Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,475
    Well well, I see Donald Trump got booed at the Al Smith dinner.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Just seen the final result. Shows how much I know. I had this hunch that Labour would do somewhat better, and the LDs somewhat worse, than was actually the case. Valuable object lesson in avoiding hunches.

Now, to the next question: will the country notice, or care? I'm still convinced that the national VI polls are (largely) correct as a guide to shares for the next GE. If we are going to talk seriously of a possible revival, then we at least ought to see them scoring consistently over 10%.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    glw said:

Cookie said:

My guess is that from now on, any time Scottish opinion is different from UK opinion on any subject of any significance - which will happen roughly once a year - it will be cited as a reason to go. And in this climate, eventually, go they sometime will.

I concur, I watched some of the SNP conference, poisonous nonsense would be my summary of it. It honestly made Labour look reasonable.

The only way the UK government can avoid giving the SNP cause for a referendum would be to in effect give the Scottish government a veto over everything. That can't happen, therefore the SNP will be able to find endless justifications for independence referendums.
    Scotland has had its vote. It's made its decision. May just had to say 'no' and Sturgeon is left fulminating on the sidelines.

An unauthorised referendum has no meaning - Unionists wouldn't vote meaning the SNP would get a large share on a small vote but can't do anything with it. And Scotland isn't going down the UDI route.

Just say no.
  • Options
    New thread....
This discussion has been closed.