Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » White House race turnout betting

Comments

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/789111351541059584

If we assume that the difference between the figures for 2015 and current Labour voters - 14% - represents the proportion of Labour's 2015 vote that has deserted to stay-at-home or other parties, then this would put their true current Westminster VI score at just a shade over 26%. Curiously enough, this is 3% below the 29% average of Labour support in all recent polls - the same polls that also counted Lab 3% too high and Con 3% too low in 2015.

I'm therefore guessing that the current national voting intention is about Con 43%, Lab 26%. The most recent polls suggest that Ukip's support *may* be starting to soften, to the Tories' benefit - which could easily get them over the 45% mark - but it's still too early to tell whether or not this is likely to be a genuine, developing trend.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

@Madasafish

Where do I get them at 50p each, please? In my local sweetshop they are 69p. I buy three every Sunday morning for Herself.

B&M or Home Bargains.
    Thanks. I am fairly sure we haven't got either of those stores near us. Shame, otherwise it would save me 57p a week.
  • Options

If we assume that the difference between the figures for 2015 and current Labour voters - 14% - represents the proportion of Labour's 2015 vote that has deserted to stay-at-home or other parties, then this would put their true current Westminster VI score at just a shade over 26%. Curiously enough, this is 3% below the 29% average of Labour support in all recent polls - the same polls that also counted Lab 3% too high and Con 3% too low in 2015.

I'm therefore guessing that the current national voting intention is about Con 43%, Lab 26%. The most recent polls suggest that Ukip's support *may* be starting to soften, to the Tories' benefit - which could easily get them over the 45% mark - but it's still too early to tell whether or not this is likely to be a genuine, developing trend.

Of course, this theory also implies that, were Corbyn to fall under a bus and be replaced by someone more moderate and credible, Labour might be able to recover to at least 30% quite quickly, and would be back in the game (although that doesn't take into account any lasting reputational damage that the lurch to the Left might have caused amongst certain elements of their old core vote.)
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

Voting seems very brisk here in Witney. Our neighbourhood polling station is currently without a Conservative teller for the first time I can recall at any election, Westminster or local.

Brisk voting, one would think, would mean a comfortable Conservative hold. The LDs needed ultra low turnout to make a dent.
    Brisk voting looks to me like a high level of enthusiasm - something which I would not associate with the Conservative Party in its present shambolic and demoralised state. If they can`t even get people to man the polling stations.....
    Polling station telling is a bit 1958, isn't it?
    Um, seriously, what's the alternative as a means of discovering who has already voted?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,806

AnneJGP said:

AnneJGP said:

I hadn't realised how much effort went into Mr Cameron's re-negotiation.

I did point this out here at the time, but no-one believed me. My information came from someone in the No 10 team that I happened, quite by chance, to sit next to at a dinner.
    Yes, you did. Having read that article I am even more puzzled over why Mr Cameron thought it a good idea for the UK to Remain. I can understand much clearly why he resigned, though.
    The article states that Cameron and co knew this was not a good deal. So why trigger the referendum 18 months before the self imposed deadline? Cameron could have let the French and German elections take place and then see what the deal was in autumn of 2017.
    To be fair to David Cameron he was set up to fail by the die-hard wing of his party who made a big play about renegotiating with the EU a couple of years back. Cameron walked into their trap by agreeing to renegotiation on their terms rather than arguing for the EU from first principles.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

AnneJGP said:

Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: Translation typo - Hollande, 'I say to May firmly, if she wants a hard Brexit, negotiations will be hard'

Puzzled by that. If you're aiming for what you get by default, why negotiate hard? Or, indeed, at all?
    Yeah, surely, if they want a hard brexit, you go "oh, ok then"
    Well a hard brexit doesn't necessarily mean crashing out into WTO rules, it just means no single market. May could still push for a trade deal of sorts, while excluding single market and FoM, so there would be negotiations for that.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

Voting seems very brisk here in Witney. Our neighbourhood polling station is currently without a Conservative teller for the first time I can recall at any election, Westminster or local.

Brisk voting, one would think, would mean a comfortable Conservative hold. The LDs needed ultra low turnout to make a dent.
    Brisk voting looks to me like a high level of enthusiasm - something which I would not associate with the Conservative Party in its present shambolic and demoralised state. If they can`t even get people to man the polling stations.....
    But I understand that the Conservatives are telling at some polling stations. I infer that they still believe in doing this, everywhere that they can, but are just not up to it.

• Options

Good afternoon, everyone.

They could just make KitKats smaller. Like Carney did with his rubbish new fivers.

The three-fingered KitKat? Giving the finger to Brexit?
    Well at least I can now accidentally launder my money; the £5 in my pocket will still be worth £5.

Why do we dignify the term Brexit & call the group which makes up ~30% of Parliament Brexiteers? It makes it sound positive/adventurous? They're Leavers, i.e. as in 'quitters'.
    I believe Little Quitlers is the current Twitter-approved term.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Dromedary said:

619 said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

619 said:

Jobabob said:

Do the turnout bars above include the lizards or are they hidden from official totals?

More importantly, do they include the Shy WWC Trumpers nodding along to all his pro racism and sexual assault platform, waiting to all come out on November 28th?
    Won't they have missed the thing by a few weeks on the 28th?
    Yup.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/donald-trump-tells-supporters-to-vote-november-28-election-day-trump-university-fraud-trial
    LOL much appreciated TSE
    Yup, I thought it deserved a joke!

Also, Trump was up at 3 am again...

“Just landed in Ohio. Thank you America- I am honored to win the final debate for our MOVEMENT,” Trump tweeted

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/trump-3-am-tweet-third-debate-230078#ixzz4Ncu4gVC1
    Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook
    How are the GOP elite going to stop him running in 2020?
    Expel him from the party?
    American political parties aren't membership organizations like British ones. You can't be "expelled" from one as you can't "join" one in the first place. Most, but not all, states allow voters to register as supporters of a particular party: in states with closed primaries this is what decides which primary you get to vote in.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    taffys said:

''I wouldn't be at all sure of that. No reason to suppose that other EU voters don't at least share a similar mindset to the politicians they elect. ''

you may well be right. Plenty of exciting elections ahead for us to find out!

Such referendums as have been offered (e.g. on the European Constitution) suggest otherwise.

As recently as the 2010 election, UKIP only polled 3%. Indeed, it was only in 2012 that they took off. For all that Britain had long had a Eurosceptic attitude, to those only paying cursory attention, outright withdrawalism would have looked like a minority opinion.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. Divvie, I don't think that's a nice way to describe the SNP and Yes supporters generally.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

AnneJGP said:

AnneJGP said:

I did point this out here at the time, but no-one believed me. My information came from someone in the No 10 team that I happened, quite by chance, to sit next to at a dinner.
    Yes, you did. Having read that article I am even more puzzled over why Mr Cameron thought it a good idea for the UK to Remain. I can understand much clearly why he resigned, though.
    The article states that Cameron and co knew this was not a good deal. So why trigger the referendum 18 months before the self imposed deadline? Cameron could have let the French and German elections take place and then see what the deal was in autumn of 2017.
    To be fair to David Cameron he was set up to fail by the die-hard wing of his party who made a big play about renegotiating with the EU a couple of years back. Cameron walked into their trap by agreeing to renegotiation on their terms rather than arguing for the EU from first principles.
    Did someone else give his 2013 speech or did he? Cameron's fall wasn't set up by anyone other than himself.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Chris said:

619 said:
    So Hillary Clinton is a demon, but Trump is going to be saved by the Monster Vote.

I feel as though I've wandered into a rerun of Buffy the Vampire Slayer ...
    Can someone translate this tweet pls?

Chris said:

619 said:
    So Hillary Clinton is a demon, but Trump is going to be saved by the Monster Vote.

I feel as though I've wandered into a rerun of Buffy the Vampire Slayer ...
    Can someone translate this tweet pls?
    There was a bigger ("monster") vote seen (not "say" but "saw") in the Primaries which isn't being picked up by polls.
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: Translation typo - Hollande, 'I say to May firmly, if she wants a hard Brexit, negotiations will be hard'

He forgot the key words "with my successor"
    surely to, though? If we rock up and say "we want the hardest Brexit just wto" there aren't many negotiations at all? Unless they are going to try to force us to accept concessions?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Of course, this theory also implies that, were Corbyn to fall under a bus and be replaced by someone more moderate and credible, Labour might be able to recover to at least 30% quite quickly, and would be back in the game (although that doesn't take into account any lasting reputational damage that the lurch to the Left might have caused amongst certain elements of their old core vote.)
    Mr Corbyn being replaced by someone more moderate and credible is getting increasingly unlikely as the Labour selectorate changes, though, isn't it?
  • Options

Mr. Divvie, I don't think that's a nice way to describe the SNP and Yes supporters generally.

Oh, my sides.
    Swift has returned to us in virtual form.
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, you complain that leaving a union is worthy of describing its supporters as 'Little Quitlers', yet are upset at the suggestion that some might describe supporters of leaving a union as 'Little Quitlers'. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
  • Options
    Charles said:

surely to, though? If we rock up and say "we want the hardest Brexit just wto" there aren't many negotiations at all? Unless they are going to try to force us to accept concessions?

TBH I think Hollande was wibbling. The original French is as meaningless as the translation: "Madame Theresa May veut un Brexit dur, la négociation sera dure", i.e "Mrs Theresa May wants a hard Brexit, the negotiation will be hard".
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,157
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

He forgot the key words "with my successor"
    Are you sure he didn't mean "with her cabinet"?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    edited October 2016
    Indigo said:

AnneJGP said:

The remarkable thing (or perhaps not in the light of that article) is how little he came back with given all the effort expended. Personally I would have hoped a statesman of his statue, with the advisors at his disposal, would have been aware of what was possible (in broad terms) before going into the negotiation, but there seems to have been a complete lack of real understanding on both sides. Basically, WTF have the FCO been doing for the last 40 years that they didn't know what was possible, it is kind of their job!
    Ah, we can agree on this.
    When I criticise Cameron for lack of effort, I don't mean he was physically listless, slumped at home in front of a PlayStation.

I mean, he failed to do the mental homework - along with his team - on what was possible, and how best to achieve it. That goes for the whole govt machine, including the FCO, but presumably he and the Number 10 team have to take responsibility for the absolute incoherence of it all.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,806

FF43 said:

AnneJGP said:

AnneJGP said:

Did someone else give his 2013 speech or did he? Cameron's fall wasn't set up by anyone other than himself.
    An explanation rather than an endorsement. Politicians try to catch each other out all the time. And not just those in the opposing party. David Cameron should have avoided the trap his fellow party members set for him.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I don't see what's surprising about this. We see this from pb's Trumpeters all the time:

https://twitter.com/JorgeGalindo/status/788849292396167173
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,312
    edited October 2016

Mr. Divvie, you complain that leaving a union is worthy of describing its supporters as 'Little Quitlers', yet are upset at the suggestion that some might describe supporters of leaving a union as 'Little Quitlers'. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

I merely pointed out what was being said on Twitter, you leapt on it as though someone had piddled on an ancestor's' grave: obviously a sensitive area.

I'd assume the term refers to the triumphalist attitude of some of your Leave bruderschaft stomping around telling 'remoaners' to suck it up, and starting petitions demanding prosecutions for insufficient patriotism.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

TBH I think Hollande was wibbling. The original French is as meaningless as the translation: "Madame Theresa May veut un Brexit dur, la négociation sera dure", i.e "Mrs Theresa May wants a hard Brexit, the negotiation will be hard".
    Although if you imagine him saying it with a leer and a thick accent it's like something Owen Smith would say
  • Options
    JohnO said:

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

Um, seriously, what's the alternative as a means of discovering who has already voted?
    Why do you need to know? Just blanket-contact your pledge base. No-one needs lifts to the polling station these days.
  • Options

Indigo said:

AnneJGP said:

The remarkable thing (or perhaps not in the light of that article) is how little he came back with given all the effort expended. Personally I would have hoped a statesman of his statue, with the advisors at his disposal, would have been aware of what was possible (in broad terms) before going into the negotiation, but there seems to have been a complete lack of real understanding on both sides. Basically, WTF have the FCO been doing for the last 40 years that they didn't know what was possible, it is kind of their job!
    In defence of the FCO (not something that you will hear me say often), you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. To put it bluntly you can put up papers but you can't make a minister read them or actually take any notice if he/she does. Politicians have a long history of ignoring any advice that doesn't accord with their view, particularly in the Defence and Overseas policy arena.

Then there is the issue, as that paper makes clear, of the power of the SpAds to control, or at least direct, the thinking of senior ministers. SpAds tend to be young, jolly clever (at least in their own estimation) but very loyal to their minister. Cameron was one himself. So you get young, clever people who have little experience or real understanding of issues and people effectively controlling government decisions.

The result of the referendum was, I think, set before Cameron came to office, probably before he became an MP. The power of that essay is not that it exposes the corrupt nature of the EU (who knew that Juncker's chief of staff had so much power) but that it provides an expose on the machinations of government today and how fecking useless our politicians actually are.
    Post of the thread.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Charles said:

Sounds to me as though the meaning is much more colloquial: "If Mrs May wants it hard, she'll get it hard", or something similar.

(Edited to add: "wants to play hard-ball" sort of thing)
  • Options

I don't see what's surprising about this. We see this from pb's Trumpeters all the time

You can't really defend people who call Pinocchio on the basis that Hillary didn't use chemicals to delete her emails because BleachBit is a piece of software.
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, you might also recall I condemned that ridiculous petition, and the tone of the newspapers calling for people to be 'silenced'.

For someone who seemed upset, from memory, at the YeSNP and Waffen Yes Yes nicknames [I only repeat them now for comparison's sake] and keen to leave a union, it seems a mite hypocritical to use Nazi-like comic terms to describe those keen to leave a union.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

I don't see what's surprising about this. We see this from pb's Trumpeters all the time:

Well since trust in the media is running at 32% this is hardly unexpected - all it shows is that the Democrats are brainwashed into not looking for the information themselves.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @faisalislam: in Brussels Lab leader @jeremycorbyn has just told me he is inviting some European leaders for a Brexit summit in February, weeks before a50
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,729

JohnO said:

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

Why do you need to know? Just blanket-contact your pledge base. No-one needs lifts to the polling station these days.
    Blanket contact your pledge base how many times throughout the day?
  • Options
    Mr. Jonnie, not necessarily brainwashing. People often believe what they want to believe, then rationalise it afterwards.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,729

Yes, don't confuse them with the facts!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: in Brussels Lab leader @jeremycorbyn has just told me he is inviting some European leaders for a Brexit summit in February, weeks before a50

Daniel Cohn-Bendit, Yanis Varoufakis and José Bové?
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Well since trust in the media is running at 32% this is hardly unexpected - all it shows is that the Democrats are brainwashed into not looking for the information themselves.
    From what I've read on here, the fact-checking is done mainly by Democrat supporters on what Mr Trump says; very little, the other way. If that's so, the figures are hardly surprising.
  • Options

JohnO said:

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

Blanket contact your pledge base how many times throughout the day?
    One is fine (and in most elections, once is as much as could be done anyway, even without committing people to telling). The amount of time you'd save in stripping out a few on the fly would be more than spent up-front getting the info.
  • Options

Mr. Divvie, you might also recall I condemned that ridiculous petition, and the tone of the newspapers calling for people to be 'silenced'.

For someone who seemed upset, from memory, at the YeSNP and Waffen Yes Yes nicknames [I only repeat them now for comparison's sake] and keen to leave a union, it seems a mite hypocritical to use Nazi-like comic terms to describe those keen to leave a union.

It may surprise you that I don't have a recollection of all your expressed views, and tbh in this case it wouldn't have made the slightest difference to me making reference to Little Quitlers.

I have no problem with people using the terms YeSNP and Waffen Yes Yes, just the snivelling hypocrites who bridle when reminded that (in that case) as Unionists they were fellow travellers with the BNP, NF, Britain First and holocaust deniers. They also seem to be precisely the types who whip themselves into a snowflakey rage at the mention of xenophobes, Little Englanders, and newly added to the list, Little Quitlers.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Mr Corbyn being replaced by someone more moderate and credible is getting increasingly unlikely as the Labour selectorate changes, though, isn't it?
    Oh absolutely. I was just saying...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468
    edited October 2016

It may surprise you that I don't have a recollection of all your expressed views, and tbh in this case it wouldn't have made the slightest difference to me making reference to Little Quitlers.

I have no problem with people using the terms YeSNP and Waffen Yes Yes, just the snivelling hypocrites who bridle when reminded that (in that case) as Unionists they were fellow travellers with the BNP, NF, Britain First and holocaust deniers. They also seem to be precisely the types who whip themselves into a snowflakey rage at the mention of xenophobes, Little Englanders, and newly added to the list, Little Quitlers.
    Anti-Semite Adolf believed in a single European super-state.

Believe in BRITAIN! Be LEAVE!
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    It appears the turnout at Witney is going to be pretty good for a by election. That would suggest quite a close result as the enthusuasm LOCALLY seems to be with the Lib Dems, (this is the first by election I can recall for years where they are getting cheers, waves and car drivers honking support).
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, I'm merely perplexed by those who advocate Scottish independence as a good and noble thing, whilst suggesting the UK leaving the EU is due to wickedness, stupidity or petty nationalism. The two views do not necessarily appear to be bound together with reason.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    619 said:
    What's this about? Is there any evidence she saw the questions in advance?
  • Options
    theakes said:

It appears the turnout at Witney is going to be pretty good for a by election. That would suggest quite a close result as the enthusuasm LOCALLY seems to be with the Lib Dems, (this is the first by election I can recall for years where they are getting cheers, waves and car drivers honking support).

Why? Surely this is the most Tory of shires.
    What's behind all this honking?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Does anyone have the original French of wht Hollande said ?

<<La Brexitanie - Douze points!>>
  • Options

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

The Treaty of Rome is a bit 1957, isn't it?
  • Options
    I fell asleep during the Debate, around 2.30 am :lol:. Hopefully will be able to stay up for Witney and Batley tonight :)
  • Options

Ladbrokes Politics ‏@LadPolitics 6h6 hours ago Harrow, London
    Here's a #Witney by-election prediction

47% Cons
    30% Lib Dems
    12% Lab
    6% UKIP

LibDems would be pleased with that.

They'd be a cock-a-hoop. It would provide some evidence that left-leaning voters have forgiven them for the Coalition, and are prepared once again to vote Lib Dem to stop the Tories where Labour is presumed to be weak.

HOWEVER... it still does nothing to explain why on Earth they are flatlining in the national polls. Very strange. And by-elections are somewhat unreliable as indicators of performance in general elections, to put it mildly. Anyway, let's see what happens tonight...
  • Options

No he didn't. He had plans for a Greater Germanic Reich which would include all the Germanic language speaking countries (except for the British Isles) plus all the eastern territories he was trying to grab of course. Romance language speakers need not apply. (Well except for eastern "Burgundian" France which Himmler had his eye on for some sort of SS-state, but all the original French inhabitants would have been expelled first.)
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited October 2016

That graphic shows why the Repubs are doomed if Trump loses.

If they swing to a liberal Repub to attract minority voters, the base crumbles away. And as I said earlier, its a dog with different fleas.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Chris said:

I think this is what they are whining about

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/789083009265700865
  • Options

theakes said:

Well, indeed. I do have some sympathy for the Lib Dems putting in a carnival effort and wanting to pretend that 2010-15 never existed. A decent result might remind people that they still exist. All the same, it looks to me as if Farron is determined to repeat all the Lib Dems' mistakes of the last 20 years that resulted in their near-annihilation. I'll probably say more on Saturday.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    weejonnie said:

post truth politics. The trumpters can't debate with facts, so they make them up, SAD!!
  • Options
    rpjs said:

No he didn't. He had plans for a Greater Germanic Reich which would include all the Germanic language speaking countries (except for the British Isles) plus all the eastern territories he was trying to grab of course. Romance language speakers need not apply. (Well except for eastern "Burgundian" France which Himmler had his eye on for some sort of SS-state, but all the original French inhabitants would have been expelled first.)
    I'm sure German forces entered Paris, and reached as far southwest as Bordeaux in 1940, and then took over the free (Vichy) zone in late 1942, n'est-ce pas?
  • Options

rpjs said:

I'm sure German forces entered Paris, and reached as far southwest as Bordeaux in 1940, and then took over the free (Vichy) zone in late 1942, n'est-ce pas?
    Has it escaped your attention that France declared war on him in 1939?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @logical_song I'd be pleased with that too. I bought both the Lib Dems at 25 and the Conservatives at 45 on SPIN and I have a bet on Labour getting between 10 and 15%. That would be pretty much the perfect result for me.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    taffys said:

That graphic shows why the Repubs are doomed if Trump loses.

If they swing to a liberal Repub to attract minority voters, the base crumbles away. And as I said earlier, its a dog with different fleas.

It doesn't have to be a liberal, just not someone who is a massive racist like Trump.
  • Options

rpjs said:

No, but their so-called "offensive" on the Saar in Sept 1939 was a pathetically feeble gesture, especially given that the Wehrmacht was tied up in Poland.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    'It doesn't have to be a liberal, just not someone who is a massive racist like Trump.'

Or Romney, apparently!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,453
    Chris said:

619 said:
    Reuters reporting another woman has come forward about Trump and groping.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    It seems some of the EU countries don't really believe that Brexit means Brexit, so they're saying things for their own electorate. After all, the usual default is to have another referendum until they get the right result.
  • Options
    The LibDems have saved only ONE deposit out of four Westminster by-elections so far this Parliament.

During the 2010-15 Parliament, they lost ELEVEN deposits from 19 contests.
  • Options

theakes said:

Well, indeed. I do have some sympathy for the Lib Dems putting in a carnival effort and wanting to pretend that 2010-15 never existed. A decent result might remind people that they still exist. All the same, it looks to me as if Farron is determined to repeat all the Lib Dems' mistakes of the last 20 years that resulted in their near-annihilation. I'll probably say more on Saturday.
    Looking forward to that.

I have much sympathy with the LDs, but am dubious about their comeback. Parish seats and even the odd by-election success are necessary but hardly a sufficient condition to regain some kind of relevance.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,925

Theresa May calls for united European foreign policy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37710786

I guess the British position now is to push for what Churchill always envisaged, which is an integrated United States Of Europe with the Britain on the outside.
  • Options
    Reuters:

"Trump accuser Karena Virginia said she was groped by Donald Trump at a U.S. Open event in Queens, New York in 1998."
  • Options

rpjs said:

Taking over Vichy was a military necessity due to not having won the war. His plan for Europe is better exemplified in the fact that Vichy succeeded the Third Republic in the first place; France wasn't brought into the Reich (except for Alsace-Lorraine).

rpjs is right: there was no Nazi plan for a single European state, not least because it would have run counter to Hitler's racial theories.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468
    edited October 2016
    GIN1138 said:

I guess the British position now is to push for what Churchill always envisaged, which is an integrated United States Of Europe with the Britain on the outside.
    Churchill said in his 1946 Zurich speech that:

"Great Britain, the British Commonwealth of Nations, mighty America, and I trust Soviet Russia - for then indeed all would be well - must be the friends and sponsors of the new Europe and must champion its right to live and shine."

Ergo, we must be FRIENDS of the new Europe, not PART of it.

http://www.churchill-society-london.org.uk/astonish.html
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

He envisaged an integrated United States of Europe as another superpower alongside the British Empire and the USA. His vision is completely irrelevant to today's world and he would have been horrified by the diminished position we are setting ourselves up for.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

rpjs said:

Yes, and they also established "forbidden zones" along the Atlantic coast and in eastern France where refugees weren't allowed to return to after the armistice. The eastern zone was the area Himmler (who even by Nazi standards was well past Plaistow) had plans to establish his "SS state". The actual occupation authorities on the ground had pretty much given up enforcing the return ban by the time the occupation was extended to all of France.

Also, very late in 1944, by which time most of the territory concerned had been liberated, the Nazis established two Reichsgaue covering Belgium and Nord-Pas de Calais (which had been administered by the occupation authorities in Brussels since 1940) and annexed them to the Greater German Reich. Quite why they wasted time doing such administrivia while on the brink of defeat eludes me.

But the rest of France was always intended to be a puppet state and not annexed to the Reich.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,751

Chris said:

619 said:
    "Vote Trump, get Bush"
  • Options
    Just watched the press conference of a Trump accuser. Sounds like boorish behaviour from Trump but the over-acting was a little too much. I expected her to have been living with sexual assault for the last twenty years.

And yes, there are degrees of sexual assault. When you equate a touch on the breast (through clothes) with causing mental misery for the last twenty years, something is wrong.

No sympathy for Trump but I suspect he'd have to be a miraculous memory man to even remember. So what's the defence?
  • Options

rpjs said:

Taking over Vichy was a military necessity due to not having won the war. His plan for Europe is better exemplified in the fact that Vichy succeeded the Third Republic in the first place; France wasn't brought into the Reich (except for Alsace-Lorraine).

rpjs is right: there was no Nazi plan for a single European state, not least because it would have run counter to Hitler's racial theories.
    I was only troll..., er I ,mean teasing!

But the Reich did incorporate all or some of quite a number of present day EU member states:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_Germany#/media/File:Greater_German_Reich_NS_Administration_1944.png
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited October 2016
    Larry Sabato on CNN forecasts Clinton 352 .. Trump 173 .. Toss-U- 13 :

Clinton takes Obama 12 except Iowa and Maine CD02, adds Arizona, North Carolina and Nebraska CD02. Utah, Iowa and Maine CD02 are Toss-Up :

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/with-19-days-to-go-clintons-lead-is-bigger-than-ever/

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/with-19-days-to-go-clintons-lead-is-bigger-than-ever/
  • Options

rpjs said:

No, but their so-called "offensive" on the Saar in Sept 1939 was a pathetically feeble gesture, especially given that the Wehrmacht was tied up in Poland.
    To be fair, it's not like we were champing at the bit to go on the offensive and were held back by French dilatoriness either. I do feel that if we (the western allies) had fought for the Czechs in 1938 or actually gone on the offensive while the Wehrmacht were busy in Poland, Hitler would be just a historical footnote today.
  • Options
    Mr Borough,

"Reuters reporting another woman has come forward about Trump and groping."

He touched her arm and the inside of her breast (through clothes) in 1998. So traumatic she burst into tears at the press conference. This was in public so I'm not sure how the French would treat it.

Sarkozy had better beware.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Chris said:

619 said:
    "Vote Trump, get Bush"
    :naughty:
  • Options
    Looks to be open season on Trump at the moment.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Clinton takes Obama 12 except Iowa and Maine CD02, adds Arizona, North Carolina and Nebraska CD02. Utah, Iowa and Maine CD02 are Toss-Up :

Clinton's team must be starting to panic that the idea this is completely over will depress turn-out. They are going to need some really solid GOTV on the day.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Reuters:

"Trump accuser Karena Virginia said she was groped by Donald Trump at a U.S. Open event in Queens, New York in 1998."

Trump went for a forehand winner ?!? .... :smile:
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    An interesting read on the Brexit effects on London property;

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-property-london-idUKKCN12K1QO?il=0

More properties to rent, and more small and affordable units.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Chris said:

Frightening.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Gardenwalker: suiggest you get out of the garden and onto the street!!!!
  • Options
    JackW said:

Reuters:

Trump went for a forehand winner ?!? .... :smile:
    Too many unforced errors creeping in.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Pulpstar said:

Le, Brexit is masculine remember...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Le, Brexit is masculine remember...
    Brexitanie is a country!
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

theakes said:

Looking forward to that.

I have much sympathy with the LDs, but am dubious about their comeback. Parish seats and even the odd by-election success are necessary but hardly a sufficient condition to regain some kind of relevance.
    I think without some form of PR and related reform no other party will regain much kind of relevance! The SNP in Scotland and the Tories in England will prosper from their votes being concentrated but not piled up too badly in safe seats. Labour will lose 'voting efficiency' due to southern marginals slowly going Tory, Scottish 'problems' and being unable to get much above 30%.

Conceivably, 30,000 people in about 50 seats could determine what govt. we get. That's comparable to the population of Malvern.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Chris said:

Scott_P said:

Chris said:

Frightening.
    Is that a lizard I spot on her lecturn??????
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Nick Clegg came across as borderline deranged on the Daily Politics. Tries to argue that voters were not aware that Brexit meant leaving the single market only for the BBC to play him a clip of David Cameron, George Osborne, Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Andrea Leadsom claiming that it would.

https://twitter.com/EuroGuido/status/789131722545893376
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    CD13 said:

Just watched the press conference of a Trump accuser. Sounds like boorish behaviour from Trump but the over-acting was a little too much. I expected her to have been living with sexual assault for the last twenty years.

And yes, there are degrees of sexual assault. When you equate a touch on the breast (through clothes) with causing mental misery for the last twenty years, something is wrong.

No sympathy for Trump but I suspect he'd have to be a miraculous memory man to even remember. So what's the defence?

I think the point is that he does it all the time. ( as he admitted to doing). So he has no defence. He can't say he brags about it, but all the women coming forward now are liars. Hence him losing women voters.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

JackW said:

Clinton's team must be starting to panic that the idea this is completely over will depress turn-out. They are going to need some really solid GOTV on the day.
    Yes, we will soon be moving into the reverse ramping phase – scare postings from Dems and 'leaked' rumours of tight polls.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Chris said:

Scott_P said:

Chris said:

Frightening.
    Is that a lizard I spot on her lecturn??????
    Millions of Trump supporters now believe that blue rays come out of Hillary Clinton's eyes.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

To be fair, it's not like we were champing at the bit to go on the offensive and were held back by French dilatoriness either. I do feel that if we (the western allies) had fought for the Czechs in 1938 or actually gone on the offensive while the Wehrmacht were busy in Poland, Hitler would be just a historical footnote today.

The UK was in no position to go to war in 1938 and in 1939 the situation was barely that much better. The idea that the UK and France could have conducted and offensive war against Germany in either year is laughable. There were not the troops, the aircraft, the logistics and, especially, not the mindset to do any such thing.

Perhaps there should have been but that is a different argument and one which should mostly be directed at Paris.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    London effectively joins forces with Sturgeon in advocating regional visas.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-cityoflondon-idUKKCN12K15F?il=0

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Charles said:

whats the excitement ?

Hollande wont be president by the time negotiations start, he's as relevant as Obama.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,094

The LibDems have saved only ONE deposit out of four Westminster by-elections so far this Parliament.

During the 2010-15 Parliament, they lost ELEVEN deposits from 19 contests.

I have money on them retaining their deposit this time around :)
This discussion has been closed.