Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » White House race turnout betting

Comments

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    619 said:
    So Hillary Clinton is a demon, but Trump is going to be saved by the Monster Vote.

I feel as though I've wandered into a rerun of Buffy the Vampire Slayer ...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. Llama, the White Witch, from memory, tempted the foolish with Turkish Delight.
  • Options
    If TSE likes the look of Paddy Power's 6/1 (actually now 5/1) against the POTUS turnout being < 50.0%, then he must surely be positively overjoyed over Betfair's 8.4/1 (8.0/1 net of their commission) available on the same bet!
    In fact considering that PP and Betfair are now stable mates, there is a surprisingly healthy discrepancy between the odds offered by these two in the POTUS turnout market:

< 50% ........ PP 5/1, BF 8.4/1*
    50%-54% ... PP 7/2, BF 6.2/1*
    54%-58% ... PP 2.2/1, BF 11/4*
    58%-62% ... PP 7/2 BF 2.7/1*

* Before Betfair's 5% commission

Equally surprising is Paddy's boast that he has already paid out over $1 million on Hillary being elected the next POTUS, in sharp contrast to Betfair only paying out at the very last opportunity and then some on occasions!
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

@Morris_Dancer

The link between chocolate covered Turkish Delight and Narnia eludes me. Could you perhaps explain it for me, please?

@Madasafish

Where do I get them at 50p each, please? In my local sweetshop they are 69p. I buy three every Sunday morning for Herself.

The White Witch bribes Edmund with Turkish Delight in The Lion the Witch & the Wardrobe. Her castle is not however Cair Paravel, I don't think, but can't immediately prove it.

Which reminds me that I must re-read the Narnia novels for about the 27th time.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,456
    Pong said:

Consigned to history as the PM who has made the biggest policy mistake since at least 1914.

I think Eden's Suez miscalculation was less politically forgivable.

Cameron's had graver consequences, though.
    Possibly, but Cameron's decision should have been based on some kind of understanding of the country he was running. Clearly neither him or his aides had any idea how the majority of people were thinking. That seems worse for a PM than miscalculating what a foreign power might do.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Pong said:

Consigned to history as the PM who has made the biggest policy mistake since at least 1914.

Not sure about the second sentence there, Mr. Pong. Is the UK leaving the EU based on the expressed will of its electorate graver than announcing to the world that the UK can't act overseas without US approval?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited October 2016
    @bbclaurak: Every leader who's talked about Brexit so far on arrival has said UK has to decide what it wants first before any proper conversations

Luckily, the Brexiteers' demands have been leaked...

https://youtu.be/ga3BQWoNPq0
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

@Morris_Dancer

The link between chocolate covered Turkish Delight and Narnia eludes me. Could you perhaps explain it for me, please?

@Madasafish

Where do I get them at 50p each, please? In my local sweetshop they are 69p. I buy three every Sunday morning for Herself.

The White Witch bribes Edmund with Turkish Delight in The Lion the Witch & the Wardrobe. Her castle is not however Cair Paravel, I don't think, but can't immediately prove it.

don't think it was chocolate covered Turkish Delight though.
  • Options
    Chris said:

619 said:
    So Hillary Clinton is a demon, but Trump is going to be saved by the Monster Vote.

Can someone translate this tweet pls?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Oh give me a break. Are they serious?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: Every leader who's talked about Brexit so far on arrival has said UK has to decide what it wants first before any proper conversations

Is that any surprise? My understanding is that deciding what we want is what HMG are up to at the moment and why any triggering of Article 50 is in abeyance. So is there not actual agreement between all sides?

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    In person early voting starts today in NC. Get ready for graphs to take off.
  • Options
    @HouseofCommons: MPs approve amendment calling on the Honours Forfeiture Committee to recommend Sir Philip Green's knighthood be annulled.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited October 2016

Mr. Llama, the White Witch, from memory, tempted the foolish with Turkish Delight.

Yes indeed. In my copy it is the title of Chapter Four in which the event occurs.

"It is dull, Son of Adam, to drink without eating," said the Queen presently. "What would you like best to eat?"

"Turkish Delight, please, your Majesty," said Edmund.

My eldest is called Adam so it has a certain resonance in our family.
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

@Morris_Dancer

@Madasafish

With you on that one. I don't think my copies of the books made it through the last house move.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

@Morris_Dancer

@Madasafish

With you on that one. I don't think my copies of the books made it through the last house move.
    It's long since out of copyright so you can get the full text from Project Gutenberg
    http://www.gutenberg.ca/ebooks/lewiscs-thelionthewitchandthewardrobe/lewiscs-thelionthewitchandthewardrobe-00-h.html
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,162
    Chalk flew up!
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

@Morris_Dancer

@Madasafish

Thanks all. So the lady whose castle it wasn't tempted/bribed someone with something that wasn't chocolate covered Turkish Delight in a fictional childrens story. I am glad we have got that sorted.

I love PB sometimes.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,113
    Mrs J has, on occasion. been a chocolate-covered Turkish delight. ;)

(Sorry, couldn't resist).
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    All I know is that I now want some Turkish delight.
  • Options
    WTF is wrong with some people...

‘7 Legless’ team dress up as Alton Towers Smiler ride amputees

http://thetab.com/uk/nottingham/2016/10/19/7-legless-team-dress-alton-towers-smiler-ride-amputees-33480
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005
    MAGA

Trump Train

CHOOOOOOOOO CHOOOOOOOOOOO(*)

(*) Rasmussen disclaimer ^_~
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,884
    Voting seems very brisk here in Witney.

Our neighbourhood polling station is currently without a Conservative teller for the first time I can recall at any election, Westminster or local.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,806

Pong said:

Not sure about the second sentence there, Mr. Pong. Is the UK leaving the EU based on the expressed will of its electorate graver than announcing to the world that the UK can't act overseas without US approval?
    A democratically arrived at mistake with graver consequences than the Suez fiasco. PoV.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, if you end up seduced by the White Witch, don't blame me.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

@Morris_Dancer

@Madasafish

It's long since out of copyright so you can get the full text from Project Gutenberg
    http://www.gutenberg.ca/ebooks/lewiscs-thelionthewitchandthewardrobe/lewiscs-thelionthewitchandthewardrobe-00-h.html
    Brilliant thank you (but I like the Pauline Baynes illustrations so much I will probably get the books again at some point).

Spookily my eldest is also an Adam.
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer I expect she'd be very disappointed.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,099

WTF is wrong with some people...

‘7 Legless’ team dress up as Alton Towers Smiler ride amputees

http://thetab.com/uk/nottingham/2016/10/19/7-legless-team-dress-alton-towers-smiler-ride-amputees-33480

You need a safe space, mate.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, nah. If she got bored of your stance on the EU she'd just turn you to stone.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512
    edited October 2016

Our neighbourhood polling station is currently without a Conservative teller for the first time I can recall at any election, Westminster or local.

Telling is however slowly going out of fashion, even in hard fought elections. As phone, SMS and email knocking up becomes more prevalent - particularly in a rural area like Witney - the time saved doesn't merit the effort involved. I think the LibDems stick with it because they have the extra advantage of winning over non-Tory voters who see their teller there on the way in, where Labour hasn't bothered.
  • Options

Brisk voting, one would think, would mean a comfortable Conservative hold. The LDs needed ultra low turnout to make a dent.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MAGA

Trump Train

CHOOOOOOOOO CHOOOOOOOOOOO(*)

(*) Rasmussen disclaimer ^_~
    Still a decent poll, adjusting for the Rasmussen effect it is tied/Clinton+1, something like that.
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer In which case she can simply take her place in the queue.
  • Options

On topic: We actually have some indicative information on turnout, from the early voting statistics:

if we take a big step back, and we sort of take a look at the big picture, we'll see increased voting across the board, not only early, but also on Election Day in the Southern states. But yet, in the Midwest, we may see early voting levels lower and then overall turnout levels lower as well.

http://keranews.org/post/how-many-people-are-voting-early-2016

Overall, that sounds like a turnout not too different from 2012.

I think there's good value in the 54.0% to 57.99% band, maybe with a saver on 50% to 53.99%.

Some very good value was and largely is available assuming a turnout within the historic range.
  • Options

I love the real stuff but the Fry's version is, for me, horrible muck.

@Morris_Dancer
    "if you end up seduced by the White Witch, don't blame me."

I think I'll take the chance. There is a stall in the market at Burgess Hill where one can boxes of the real Turkish Delight at very reasonable prices. Except that when one reads the small print one finds that it is actually made in Paphos, which as you no doubt know is actually in the Greek part of Cyprus. Greek Delight, but very nice.
  • Options
    Mr. Rabbit, I can't help but feel that your avatar is off-brand :p

[Is rather nice, though].
  • Options
    @bbclaurak: ooh la la! Hollande, 'If May wants a hard Brexit, the negotiations won't be hard' (sounded more brutal in French)
  • Options
    Courtesy of Philip Cowley, a tweet from Pew Research showing how Trump supporters differ from other Americans:

https://twitter.com/pewresearch/status/789101325065781249
  • Options

It'll go back to bring a white rabbit when yours is a Morris Dancer, and HurstLlama's is a Llama. Plato Plato, and Pulpstar's, um, er...
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    rcs1000 said:

Voting seems very brisk here in Witney. Our neighbourhood polling station is currently without a Conservative teller for the first time I can recall at any election, Westminster or local.

Brisk voting, one would think, would mean a comfortable Conservative hold. The LDs needed ultra low turnout to make a dent.
    Brisk voting looks to me like a high level of enthusiasm - something which I would not associate with the Conservative Party in its present shambolic and demoralised state. If they can`t even get people to man the polling stations.....
  • Options
    PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

Voting seems very brisk here in Witney. Our neighbourhood polling station is currently without a Conservative teller for the first time I can recall at any election, Westminster or local.

Brisk voting looks to me like a high level of enthusiasm - something which I would not associate with the Conservative Party in its present shambolic and demoralised state. If they can`t even get people to man the polling stations.....
    "Shambolic and demoralised" = 47%...
  • Options

@Morris_Dancer

I think I'll take the chance. There is a stall in the market at Burgess Hill where one can boxes of the real Turkish Delight at very reasonable prices. Except that when one reads the small print one finds that it is actually made in Paphos, which as you no doubt know is actually in the Greek part of Cyprus. Greek Delight, but very nice.
    It is however mostly sugar, and sugar is evil.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

Shambolic, disorganised and at 47% in the polls with 80% of the party approving of their new leader. Tim who was it again ?
  • Options
    Mr. Rabbit, mine is maximal branding.

One of the few common features on the social media thingummyjigs I frequent is my avatar (it's Horst, the sarcastic sod who is the main character in Bane of Souls, halfway through turning into a polar bear).
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,113
    IanB2 said:

@Morris_Dancer

You won't want any of my Baklava then. You can almost feel your teeth rotting. :)
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Good afternoon, everyone.

They could just make KitKats smaller. Like Carney did with his rubbish new fivers.

The three-fingered KitKat? Giving the finger to Brexit?
    Well at least I can now accidentally launder my money; the £5 in my pocket will still be worth £5.

Why do we dignify the term Brexit & call the group which makes up ~30% of Parliament Brexiteers? It makes it sound positive/adventurous? They're Leavers, i.e. as in 'quitters'.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: ooh la la! Hollande, 'If May wants a hard Brexit, the negotiations won't be hard' (sounded more brutal in French)

Like he is going to get any say in the matter given his current approval ratings and party polling!
  • Options
    @bbclaurak: Translation typo - Hollande, 'I say to May firmly, if she wants a hard Brexit, negotiations will be hard'
  • Options

IanB2 said:

@Morris_Dancer

You won't want any of my Baklava then. You can almost feel your teeth rotting. :)
    I imagine that is how Kumbuka the gorilla felt after drinking all that Ribena !!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Mr. P, quite a typo.

Edited extra bit: I do sympathise. Just finished proofreading, which involved a number of missing words and 'thinking' people for their contributions.

It's not easy to get everything rite.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

@rottenborough Donald Trump will be 74 in 2020, which should be enough to deter him from running for president again. That is the one small mercy for the Republicans about this campaign.

Bernie Sanders is 75 and age didn't stop him.

A rule on political office held would though.
    Is that seriously going to happen? I thought I'd read somewhere there was talk of it within GOP.
    I don't know. I doubt it, to be honest, not least because the principle can be applied to other offices too, which would open a whole can of worms.
  • Options

It'll go back to bring a white rabbit when yours is a Morris Dancer, and HurstLlama's is a Llama. Plato Plato, and Pulpstar's, um, er...
    Quite so, Mr. Rabbit. I might say that it will be a cold day in Hell when I replace the photo of The Brute (he was a terrific friend) as my avatar.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

I've just caught up with this article, flagged on the previous thread:

http://www.politico.eu/article/why-we-lost-the-brexit-vote-former-uk-prime-minister-david-cameron/

I have to say, it does come across as so much after-the-fact rationalising. Comments like "There are those who argue that we should have pushed Europeans harder and been willing to demand more. But I don’t see how that would have worked better." do provoke outbursts like "But as things turned out, it couldn't have worked much f*cking worse mate!" It talks of "ill-timed developments" that were developments many months before the Referendum itself. Provoking the response of "So don't hold it then, you muppet!".

My after-the-fact rationalising? It's astonishing you got as much as 48%....

Yes. The timing was very much down to Cameron, and it felt like he was rushing it, to get it out the way.

Well I guess it's out the way now.

Of course he was rushing it. Partly he didn't want it to dominate the first two or three years of his non-coalition Tory government; partly he was worried about the FR and GE elections. Plus he believed he was going to walk it.

What a full-fat idiot. Consigned to history as the PM who has made the biggest policy mistake since at least 1914.
    Fascinating read that article, even if I don't believe a word of the last part's thrust that "oh we were such underdogs to win the referendum, it's not amazing we lost".

However, the first two thirds detailing the back and forth with the negotiations with the Commission, Merkel, Rutte, Renzi et al shows the real reason: there's a total disconnect between our way of thinking and doing things and theirs. Not saying one is better, just totally different. Now, why on earth didn't it seem to occur to anyone to step back from the immediate cut and thrust and think "you know what, maybe the sceptics have a point, this is just never going to work as it should"?

The article seems to me to (inadvertently) show why a parting of the ways was inevitable. Brexit 2016 was just timing.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

@Morris_Dancer

Actually that's my favourite. Well worth making an exception for.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

http://www.politico.eu/article/why-we-lost-the-brexit-vote-former-uk-prime-minister-david-cameron/
    (snipped)

Thanks for re-posting that link, I didn't see the previous thread.

A very long read, but impressive. I hadn't realised how much effort went into Mr Cameron's re-negotiation. Having now read all the way through that article, all I can say is that the mismatch of mind-sets between the UK & the EU is so much greater than I thought that there was never any hope of unity.

And good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

@Morris_Dancer

The sugar I get here is raw sugar crystals direct from the centrifuge, reminiscent of a rather coarse soft brown sugar but smells like over-ripe bananas. Its extremely cheap, very agreeable in a cup of fresh coffee and probably moderately healthy as sugar goes.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

Shambolic, disorganised and at 47% in the polls with 80% of the party approving of their new leader. Tim who was it again ?
    The next PM.... after the stock market crash of March 2017 everything changed.
  • Options
    @BBCkatyaadler: #Malta PM just told me some #EU leaders still think #Brexit might not happen #EUsummit
  • Options
    I'd like everyone on Politicalbetting to know that I put £5 on the LibDems at 24s (23-1) on Betfair.

There's an approximately 96% chance that I'll lose my £5,

But in case that 4% comes off, I want everyone to say "Wow, rcs1000, good one".
  • Options
    I do find it funny that the EU leaders are trying to pretend that Brexit won't be discussed at their meeting except for a brief item in AOB. In reality, of course, they'll be talking about little else, given that it will impact upon almost everything the EU does.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,729
    rcs1000 said:

I'd like everyone on Politicalbetting to know that I put £5 on the LibDems at 24s (23-1) on Betfair.

There's an approximately 96% chance that I'll lose my £5,

But in case that 4% comes off, I want everyone to say "Wow, rcs1000, good one".

Do you have inside information?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: Translation typo - Hollande, 'I say to May firmly, if she wants a hard Brexit, negotiations will be hard'

He forgot the key words "with my successor"
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited October 2016
    AnneJGP said:

(snipped)

A very long read, but impressive. I hadn't realised how much effort went into Mr Cameron's re-negotiation. Having now read all the way through that article, all I can say is that the mismatch of mind-sets between the UK & the EU is so much greater than I thought that there was never any hope of unity.

We must've read that and concluded the exact same thing just about simultaneously!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

@Morris_Dancer

Next time I come your way, Mr. J., I hope you will let me have some of your Baklava. It sounds delicious. Perhaps with a small cup of proper coffee?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

IanB2 said:

@Morris_Dancer

Good Baklava is the food of the gods.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Indigo said:

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

The next PM.... after the stock market crash of March 2017 everything changed.
    Unfortunately should that happen it still wont be Tim, partly because he is unknown, and partly because he isn't known for any particular wisdom on that subject. If the bottom drops out the stock market it will be either Mr Corbyn leading us to a bright new socialist workers future, and whoever takes over UKIP leading the mob of pitchforks and torches, depending on who gets the blame.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Puzzled by that. If you're aiming for what you get by default, why negotiate hard? Or, indeed, at all?
  • Options
    Good afternoon, Miss JGP.

Mr. P, I'm unsurprised to hear that, given the Lords, and the likes of Clegg and Miliband.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

I hadn't realised how much effort went into Mr Cameron's re-negotiation.

I did point this out here at the time, but no-one believed me. My information came from someone in the No 10 team that I happened, quite by chance, to sit next to at a dinner.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

Polling station telling is a bit 1958, isn't it?
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Scott_P said:

Puzzled by that. If you're aiming for what you get by default, why negotiate hard? Or, indeed, at all?
    It's meaningless rhetoric. Nobody wants a negotiation to be hard, everyone wants to get what they want quickly.
  • Options

I do find it funny that the EU leaders are trying to pretend that Brexit won't be discussed at their meeting except for a brief item in AOB. In reality, of course, they'll be talking about little else, given that it will impact upon almost everything the EU does.

Won't they wait until Mrs May has left the room? Or won't she be there?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141

Chris said:

619 said:

Can someone translate this tweet pls?
    I had to look it up, but apparently the Monster Vote means people who don't usually vote.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

I have to say, it does come across as so much after-the-fact rationalising. Comments like "There are those who argue that we should have pushed Europeans harder and been willing to demand more. But I don’t see how that would have worked better." do provoke outbursts like "But as things turned out, it couldn't have worked much f*cking worse mate!" It talks of "ill-timed developments" that were developments many months before the Referendum itself. Provoking the response of "So don't hold it then, you muppet!".

Yes. The timing was very much down to Cameron, and it felt like he was rushing it, to get it out the way.

Well I guess it's out the way now.

Of course he was rushing it. Partly he didn't want it to dominate the first two or three years of his non-coalition Tory government; partly he was worried about the FR and GE elections. Plus he believed he was going to walk it.

What a full-fat idiot. Consigned to history as the PM who has made the biggest policy mistake since at least 1914.
    Fascinating read that article, even if I don't believe a word of the last part's thrust that "oh we were such underdogs to win the referendum, it's not amazing we lost".

However, the first two thirds detailing the back and forth with the negotiations with the Commission, Merkel, Rutte, Renzi et al shows the real reason: there's a total disconnect between our way of thinking and doing things and theirs. Not saying one is better, just totally different. Now, why on earth didn't it seem to occur to anyone to step back from the immediate cut and thrust and think "you know what, maybe the sceptics have a point, this is just never going to work as it should"?

The article seems to me to (inadvertently) show why a parting of the ways was inevitable. Brexit 2016 was just timing.
    Cameron always was a bit of a risk taker and he had been lucky.
    If Boris had decided to back Remain that would probably have swung it marginally the other way.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''We must've read that and concluded the exact same thing just about simultaneously! ''

I'm not sure the voters of the eurozone and Britain feel that differently. Its just the sentiment has percolated to the surface in Britain in ways it hasn;t yet in Europe.

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177
    Scott_P said:

Doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

I expect that most of the meaningful conversations will be outside the formal meeting.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

I did point this out here at the time, but no-one believed me. My information came from someone in the No 10 team that I happened, quite by chance, to sit next to at a dinner.
    The remarkable thing (or perhaps not in the light of that article) is how little he came back with given all the effort expended. Personally I would have hoped a statesman of his statue, with the advisors at his disposal, would have been aware of what was possible (in broad terms) before going into the negotiation, but there seems to have been a complete lack of real understanding on both sides. Basically, WTF have the FCO been doing for the last 40 years that they didn't know what was possible, it is kind of their job!
  • Options
    welshowl said:

AnneJGP said:

(snipped)

We must've read that and concluded the exact same thing just about simultaneously!
    Yeas, I noticed your previous post but hadn't had time to "Snap!"
  • Options

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

I guess that they type the results into their iPads and the computer prints of the next set of Shuttleworths. High-tech.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005
    Does anyone have the original French of wht Hollande said ?
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

Yes, you did. Having read that article I am even more puzzled over why Mr Cameron thought it a good idea for the UK to Remain. I can understand much clearly why he resigned, though.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Scott_P said:

Yeah, surely, if they want a hard brexit, you go "oh, ok then"
  • Options

@Madasafish

B&M or Home Bargains.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''We must've read that and concluded the exact same thing just about simultaneously! ''

I'm not sure the voters of the eurozone and Britain feel that differently. Its just the sentiment has percolated to the surface in Britain in ways it hasn;t yet in Europe.

I wouldn't be at all sure of that. No reason to suppose that other EU voters don't at least share a similar mindset to the politicians they elect.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,806
    AnneJGP said:

Scott_P said:

Theresa May doesn't want a Hard Brexit. She wants a soft one. Her rhetoric is uncompromising however. She will either compromise when it comes to it; the EU side are bluffing and will give her what she wants; or we will crash out of the EU in a disorderly way. I would say 3, 1 then 2 in order of probability at the moment.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2016
    Indigo said:

The remarkable thing (or perhaps not in the light of that article) is how little he came back with given all the effort expended. Personally I would have hoped a statesman of his statue, with the advisors at his disposal, would have been aware of what was possible (in broad terms) before going into the negotiation, but there seems to have been a complete lack of real understanding on both sides. Basically, WTF have the FCO been doing for the last 40 years that they didn't know what was possible, it is kind of their job!

The article supports the view I expressed then the renegotiation document was published, that it was a bit better as regards protection of the City than I had expected, but worse on restricting benefits for EU migrants. From the article:

The most successful part of the negotiation was arguably Osborne’s securing of protections for the City of London financial district and non-eurozone countries like the U.K. It was truly a remarkable package, and it meant that Bank of England Governor Mark Carney would support the deal.

The important point as far as the Brexit negotiations are concerned is that the priorities of our EU friends won't have changed. We're not going to get a good trade deal without Freedom of Movement. That's why I think the financial markets are still underestimating the risk of a serious hit to the economy (and the Eurozone economy as well).
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

AnneJGP said:

Yes, you did. Having read that article I am even more puzzled over why Mr Cameron thought it a good idea for the UK to Remain. I can understand much clearly why he resigned, though.
    The article states that Cameron and co knew this was not a good deal. So why trigger the referendum 18 months before the self imposed deadline? Cameron could have let the French and German elections take place and then see what the deal was in autumn of 2017.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

AnneJGP said:

In defence of the FCO (not something that you will hear me say often), you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. To put it bluntly you can put up papers but you can't make a minister read them or actually take any notice if he/she does. Politicians have a long history of ignoring any advice that doesn't accord with their view, particularly in the Defence and Overseas policy arena.

Then there is the issue, as that paper makes clear, of the power of the SpAds to control, or at least direct, the thinking of senior ministers. SpAds tend to be young, jolly clever (at least in their own estimation) but very loyal to their minister. Cameron was one himself. So you get young, clever people who have little experience or real understanding of issues and people effectively controlling government decisions.

The result of the referendum was, I think, set before Cameron came to office, probably before he became an MP. The power of that essay is not that it exposes the corrupt nature of the EU (who knew that Juncker's chief of staff had so much power) but that it provides an expose on the machinations of government today and how fecking useless our politicians actually are.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Does anyone have the original French of wht Hollande said ?

I don't speak french, so I asked google to translate LauraK's tweet back into french. And then I fed it into the bing translator to distil some intelligible English. And then back to google to get some better French. And so on, until they agreed with each other that the words were correct. I eventually got this;

"I mean, can if she wants a hard Brexit, the negotiations will be difficult"

Hope that helps.
  • Options

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

I guess that they type the results into their iPads and the computer prints of the next set of Shuttleworths. High-tech.
    Having been involved in elections for 20 years now, I'm very sceptical about a lot of election day activity. GOTV is important but a lot of the vote will get itself out if you've run the weeks and months beforehand properly. Contact with the right people is vital, and messaging is vital, but knowing whether someone has voted or not is really just a nice to have.
  • Options
    @Richard_Nabavi There is a latent assumption in the markets that it is the British attitude to Brexit that matters. That is only half of the story (and if anything the easier half to square off).
  • Options
    FF43 said:

AnneJGP said:

Scott_P said:

Theresa May doesn't want a Hard Brexit. She wants a soft one. Her rhetoric is uncompromising however. She will either compromise when it comes to it; the EU side are bluffing and will give her what she wants; or we will crash out of the EU in a disorderly way. I would say 3, 1 then 2 in order of probability at the moment.
    The other thing that stands out clearly in that article is just how little likelihood there ever was of an agreement reached with the European leaders - the Council - holding up.

European leaders have been unwilling or incapable of reversing an institutional logic, in which the European Commission, egged on by the European Parliament, has increasingly interfered in the minutiae of daily life, even as the European Council — where the national leaders gather — has grown ever less powerful on anything that does not regard the eurozone. In the so-called trilogues — in which officials from the three major EU institutions meet to hash out directives — the Commission and the Parliament often steamroller the Council.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''I wouldn't be at all sure of that. No reason to suppose that other EU voters don't at least share a similar mindset to the politicians they elect. ''

you may well be right. Plenty of exciting elections ahead for us to find out!
  • Options
    Mr. Betting, the earlier than necessary vote may have been because Cameron was worried about the migrant crisis worsening (or the eurozone having more ructions).

Also, the EU army pronouncements came shortly after the referendum. If their date was set in stone, Cameron would not have wanted to field questions about an EU army.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051

AnneJGP said:

I expect that most of the meaningful conversations will be outside the formal meeting.
    As any organisation operates. Like the nonsense that having worker reps on boards makes the blind bit of difference. Or collective cabinet government. Anyone who has sat on any Board of any kind will know where the power lies, and it certainly ain't in the Board.

Sadly, with Brexit, the most meaningful conversations will be held without us there. Before Brexit we would have been in that little circle of trust. Oh well. We'll get used to being a little insignificant country on the periphery. Just give us time.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,162
    Theresa May calls for united European foreign policy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37710786
  • Options
    Ladbrokes Politics ‏@LadPolitics 6h6 hours ago Harrow, London
    Here's a #Witney by-election prediction

47% Cons
    30% Lib Dems
    12% Lab
    6% UKIP

LibDems would be pleased with that.
This discussion has been closed.