Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A bad GE2015 omen for the Green party: It loses council by-

Comments

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    DavidL,

The concern about falling sperm counts and environmental contaminants was highlighted n the 1990s. Although it was association rather than correlation, sperm counting has been done regularly by a standard method. There were a few other anatomical changes cited (with much less certainty) and some work was done on environmental oestrogen-mimetics.

Certainly the breakdown products from the contraceptive pill appeared to be present in potable water and this is obviously new.

Extending this to environmental effects on other conditions is always going on. There's unlikely to be genetic changes but epigenetic changes, and, in the case of sperm counts, receptor-mediated effects are potentially possible.

But I'm still unconvinced. Make friends with your muck is my motto.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited July 2013
    I completely agree - the gap between what it costs to buy prepared vs from scratch is enormous.

Particularly if lots of root vegetables are used. When I was very short, bubble and squeak with gravy kept me full for days for pennies a day. But the benchmarks these days have moved so far from what I grew up with. I can't believe that anyone would pay so much for a cup of coffee from a shop - even if I was totally flush, I'd still think 'you're having a larf'.
    kjohnw said:

"Compulsory school dinners brings the price down as the fixed costs are spread among double the number of people.

What do you put in a 70p lunch?"

When you are buying for four in bulk you can save money by for example cooking a whole chicken an which costs around £3 and it will last for 3 days dinners . You can buy 500 hrams of mild cheddar grated for £2.15 . If you know how to shop it is quite rasy to make nutricious lunches on a small budget

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    nice article on the abysmal failures known as the England Football team. As sporting success comes rolling in in other fields -cycling, tennis, olympics, cricket, rugby - the overpaid divas in football just look plain pathetic.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/10174539/Glorious-success-in-other-fields-shows-how-far-England-are-from-reversing-history-of-failure.html
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    tim said:

This time it's Crosby telling him what to do so the tobacco stuff gets dumped.

Battles and wars.....I suspect they will return to this battle, provided they win the war in 2015, which this battle might prove a distraction from.

By then we should have plenty of ammunition from Australia and Scotland to make it a much easier battle to win anyway......
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    tim said:

Looks like Sarah Wollaston is going into battle against Lynton Crosby and "As a Father" Dave

@drwollastonmp: 1/2 What a tragic waste of an opportunity. 'Barnacles scraped off the boat' AKA more lives ruined for political expediency.

Perhaps it was just a stupid policy. Either ban them or don't. Mincing around with plain packaging nonsense is just illiberal hand wringing tosh. Wollaston is w.r.o.n.g.

• Options
    Precisely.

The whole idea of interfering at this level just jars with me on a very basic level. Why not just make all kids the property of The State and licence parents...

I'm sure unsuitable shoes worn by teenage girls could be banned too - or those trainers with giant tongues and trousers that appear to hang down to a boy's knees, surely they must pose a H&S risk... - where does it stop?!

Why stick at school food? I mean the state could check up that every seven yr old was in bed by a certain time, that their duvet had the recommended tog rating and they could withdraw children from the home if the parents smoked.. That's before checking that the child was bathed in the regulation temperature water and that approved foods were used for lunch and supper...the list of possibilities for the state to interfere is endless. That's before we get on to gene therapy to ensure everyone ends up the same height (we wouldn't want any of the poor darlings to suffer from LMS..)

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

nice article on the abysmal failures known as the England Football team. As sporting success comes rolling in in other fields -cycling, tennis, olympics, cricket, rugby - the overpaid divas in football just look plain pathetic.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/10174539/Glorious-success-in-other-fields-shows-how-far-England-are-from-reversing-history-of-failure.html

That's a pretty good rant, but overlooks that the English have been pretty successful in club football. Most avid football fans I have encountered don't really care about the national team. Not the same in other sports.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Now it is the coalitions fault that some people smoke cigarettes..wow, there is no end to their evil ways
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

That's a pretty good rant, but overlooks that the English have been pretty successful in club football. Most avid football fans I have encountered don't really care about the national team. Not the same in other sports.
    Of course they've been successful, the clubs are packed with foreigners.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Anyone who thinks a smoker will be deterred by a plain package is simply ins*ne.
    The packs should be bright and colourful, like a photo of a bin full of scarred and diseased lungs.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    tim said:

@JosiasJessop

"Schools become 'nut-free zones'"

I know one idiot who claims their kid is allergic to potatoes so they send them in with shit in a box.
    The same person also thinks their child should be allowed to wear their new trainers to school

From any other poster that would look awfully like an anecdote.

• Options

Jonathan said:

I'm not sure that really matters to your avid football fan. A win is a win. I suspect most fans would choose their club lifting the European Cup over England winning the World Cup. Not sure that is the same in Rugby, Cricket etc.

A friend described the England team as football for people who are not really into football.
  • Options

Anyone who thinks a smoker will be deterred by a plain package is simply ins*ne.
    The packs should be bright and colourful, like a photo of a bin full of scarred and diseased lungs.

if it stops one person from starting, it's worth it.

• Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

Why stick at school food? I mean the state could check up that every seven yr old was in bed by a certain time, that their duvet had the recommended tog rating and they could withdraw children from the home if the parents smoked.. That's before checking that the child was bathed in the regulation temperature water and that approved foods were used for lunch and supper...the list of possibilities for the state to interfere is endless. That's before we get on to gene therapy to ensure everyone ends up the same height (we wouldn't want any of the poor darlings to suffer from LMS..)

if you're that paranoid, you should probably consider home schooling
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

kjohnw said:

"Compulsory school dinners brings the price down as the fixed costs are spread among double the number of people.

What do you put in a 70p lunch?"

When you are buying for four in bulk you can save money by for example cooking a whole chicken an which costs around £3 and it will last for 3 days dinners . You can buy 500 hrams of mild cheddar grated for £2.15 . If you know how to shop it is quite rasy to make nutricious lunches on a small budget

Even assuming you get 12 meals out of a £3 chicken, add an apple to that and two slices of bread and you're up to 60-70p

And looking at the London school meals costs nobody was charging £2.50 as of Sept 11
    tim in finding out how the other half lives shock.
  • Options
    I've never smoked, but if anyone feels the need to light up a cigarette in order to get out of bed is definitely not going to be deterred.

I've only ever gone out with one smoker who developed the habit as a 20-something. That he couldn't function without a nicotine fix before even going for a pee just amazed me.

Why its persisted in being considered cool or attractive is totally beyond me - its smelly, clings to your clothes, makes the ceiling go yellow, covers the place in ash and finally kills you after giving you a revolting cough.

Anyone who thinks a smoker will be deterred by a plain package is simply ins*ne

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I'm not sure that really matters to your avid football fan. A win is a win. I suspect most fans would choose their club lifting the European Cup over England winning the World Cup. Not sure that is the same in Rugby, Cricket etc.

A friend described the England team as football for people who are not really into football.
    Or you could be German or Spanish and lift the European Cup and the World Cup.

England could write a new book In "Search of Mediocrity ". Maybe the fans don't care about the national team because they can't win.
  • Options
    J..It is not the governments job beyond what is already out there, enough tax is spent on telling people of the dangers.Doubling the price would stop more than one tho.
  • Options
    As I stood outside the office enjoying a duty-free Davidoff Rich Blue it got me thinking.

Oh for the good old days when tobacco advertising policy could be swayed simply by donating £1 million to the Labour Party. Those were indeed the days!
  • Options

J..It is not the governments job beyond what is already out there, enough tax is spent on telling people of the dangers.Doubling the price would stop more than one tho.

Disagree. This exactly the sort of thing that the govt should do. The market hasn't exactly addressed the problem. Today's announcement is politics at its worst. It's like something out of Yes Minister. Arse to needing more time.
  • Options
    @Max_Edinburgh
    Oh for the good old days when tobacco advertising policy could be swayed simply by donating £1 million to the Labour Party. Those were indeed the days!
    LOL
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I think your completely right on that Jonathan. For people who are really into football their club usually does comes first. I care far more about Hearts than the national team. I'd rather see us win a throw in (especially in these dark times for the JTs!) than see Scotland win the world cup.

However as you say I think to people with a passing interest in football then the national team probably does come first.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Disagree. This exactly the sort of thing that the govt should do. The market hasn't exactly addressed the problem. Today's announcement is politics at its worst. It's like something out of Yes Minister. Arse to needing more time.
    Today's Guardian helpfully explains why English Football is struggling.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/11/investigation-shortage-talent-england
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,840
    I have 2 grand-kids at secondary school, and to them packed lunches are just not 'cool'. To them, having a packed lunch is a symbol of childishness. The grown-up thing is to be given cash each day for a school dinner (allegedly - I suspect the chippy is often involved). Instead of banning packed lunches, why not just apply some child psychology?
  • Options

I have 2 grand-kids at secondary school, and to them packed lunches are just not 'cool'. To them, having a packed lunch is a symbol of childishness. The grown-up thing is to be given cash each day for a school dinner (allegedly - I suspect the chippy is often involved). Instead of banning packed lunches, why not just apply some child psychology?

If I'd have had to take a pack lunch I would never have had the cash to buy cigarettes - thus I would not have been one of the cool kids!.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I think your completely right on that Jonathan. For people who are really into football their club usually does comes first. I care far more about Hearts than the national team. I'd rather see us win a throw in (especially in these dark times for the JTs!) than see Scotland win the world cup.

However as you say I think to people with a passing interest in football then the national team probably does come first.
    Yeah, that's the Eurovision approach, we know we can't win it so we treat it as a joke. Yet a lot of the one-time "joke" sports have now produced winners - e.g. cycling - and are a source of national pride. UK football is simply sick at its heart.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Yeah, that's the Eurovision approach, we know we can't win it so we treat it as a joke. Yet a lot of the one-time "joke" sports have now produced winners - e.g. cycling - and are a source of national pride. UK football is simply sick at its heart.
    I know Hearts won't win the league next season (we start on -15 points assuming we make it through the summer), believe me with the amount I've spent following them over the years it isn't a joke.

The reason Hearts mean more to me is becasuse it's a much more personal, emotional experience. Which you can only really understand if you have an unhealthy attachment to a club.
  • Options
    Rumour of a Prince being born
  • Options
    Only kids who were Jewish were allowed packed lunches at my secondary school - otherwise it was the slop we got. It divided us clearly into those who ate and quite liked them, and those who didn't eat lunch at all or had a speck of what was on offer despite having to prepay for them at the start of term.

Quality is the issue - without that, kids will simply find other ways of eating what they want, using pocket money for chips/sweets or whatever.

The root problem has to be addressed and frankly the likes of Jamie Oliver wouldn't have encourage me to eat at school - nice food doesn't need to be fancy and frankly it doesn't want to be as it tends to put off more than it attracts if you're not accustomed to it.

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    @Plato

I worked for a year on a project that successfully made a non-carcinogenic cigarette. Trouble was it eliminated most of the nicotine and therefore did not pass the "taste testers". The analysis of the products of the inhalant of the cigarette would have put me off for life - but I have never smoked.

Of course raising the price of smoking dramatically would only result in an increase in smuggling from France etc. Would probably be against some EU law or other as well.
  • Options
    Any Headteacher knows that if you have a school rule it has to be effectively enforced or the discipline system within the school breaks down. So how to enforce this? Detention for a home made ham sandwich? Lines for an erroneous Kitkat? Suspension for repeated misuse of Quavers?

This and the fact that most Heads and Deputies have a lot more pressing concerns is why most schools will simply ignore this. I know I will.

This is an issue for parents and not schools. The best schools get the best exam results not the best Caesar salad. One reason why some state schools are so poor is that they concentrate on fluff like this rather than you know actually getting students to read and write.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I know Hearts won't win the league next season (we start on -15 points assuming we make it through the summer), believe me with the amount I've spent following them over the years it isn't a joke.

The reason Hearts mean more to me is becasuse it's a much more personal, emotional experience. Which you can only really understand if you have an unhealthy attachment to a club.
    I'd say you have a very good chance of winning the league next season - newco Jambos should storm SFL3....

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

if you're that paranoid, you should probably consider home schooling

I feel sure you never thought a Labour Govt would ever try and introduce 90 day detention without trial , but they did.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    @Financier - smuggling like Prohibition stills is just the market correcting itself in another way... why this basic fact of human nature is ignored so often puzzles me greatly.

As my mother frequently told me 'I wants never gets' - this is particularly true of policy-wonk wishful thinking.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,215
    TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I'd say you have a very good chance of winning the league next season - newco Jambos should storm SFL3....

Aaargh, my eyes!
  • Options
    Wee Eck's Big Idea

"Independence would give Scotland a more “cost-effective” Parliament that “truly reflects” the people’s wishes, the First Minister will say today.

Taxpayers north of the border contribute £50 million a year to the running of the Houses of Parliament in London and the Scotland Office in Whitehall, Alex Salmond said.

But in a speech today he will say that these institutions do “not deliver for Scotland”.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-alex-salmond-makes-his-case-1-2999184
  • Options

CLAPS

• Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    The loss of the Green council seat is obviously down to the clash of loving to say nice fluffy things at national level and havign to make practical decisions when in power (ie Brighton council) . I believe Caroline Lucas actually campaigned against the green council when it made its cuts which is frankly absolutely ridiculous and they and she deserves to lose
  • Options
    R5 - teachers to go on strike again in Autumn - well that's a surprise.

I tend to assume they're on strike or threatening to strike or on some other work-to-rule dispute of one kind or another nowadays.

When did some teaching unions become so militant? I may be misremembering, but I don't recall them ever going on strike when I was at school - and back then the NASUWT were the more moderate of the field, yet they seem to be aligned more with the NUT today.
  • Options

Any Headteacher knows that if you have a school rule it has to be effectively enforced or the discipline system within the school breaks down. So how to enforce this? Detention for a home made ham sandwich? Lines for an erroneous Kitkat? Suspension for repeated misuse of Quavers?

This and the fact that most Heads and Deputies have a lot more pressing concerns is why most schools will simply ignore this. I know I will.

This is an issue for parents and not schools. The best schools get the best exam results not the best Caesar salad. One reason why some state schools are so poor is that they concentrate on fluff like this rather than you know actually getting students to read and write.

I don't see whats special about food, when school can enforce rules in other areas. You could equally argue your point about being 5minutes late, wearing the wrong tie/shoes, or swearing. At my school, they enforced how you held your knife and fork and you would have to stay put until you finished.

• Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

I feel sure you never thought a Labour Govt would ever try and introduce 90 day detention without trial , but they did.

I didn't vote for the one that did, as it happens.

but the point remains- if you're willing to entrust your kids education (indoctrination, if you prefer) to a state school, why not lunch?
  • Options
    On school meals - I believe that once you are an adult the state should 'go away' in terms of interference in your lifestyle (as long as it doesn not affect others) . However younfg children shoudl have a nutritional meal a day and whilst banning packed lunches is a bit inpractical , I believe providing a free school meal (start with primary schools at first) to all will increase the uptake a lot , as well as putting everybody on the same level (which unifoirm also does)
  • Options
    tim said:

It's no different to enforcing school uniform

Or from independent schools that operate the policy.
    @Tim Yes it is. A student comes into my school breaking school uniform. This I can see and get the correct school uniform from lost property and ensure the little tyke is correctly attired. The rule is easily enforced. Packed lunches not so easy unless you want schools to introduce "Stop and Search"?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited July 2013
    So that's why the ciggie statement has been issued this morning

• Options

tim said:

@Tim Yes it is. A student comes into my school breaking school uniform. This I can see and get the correct school uniform from lost property and ensure the little tyke is correctly attired. The rule is easily enforced. Packed lunches not so easy unless you want schools to introduce "Stop and Search"?
    They already check lunches. No sweets allowed. A rule enforced quite easily.

• Options
    Plato said:

R5 - teachers to go on strike again in Autumn - well that's a surprise.

I tend to assume they're on strike or threatening to strike or on some other work-to-rule dispute of one kind or another nowadays.

When did some teaching unions become so militant? I may be misremembering, but I don't recall them ever going on strike when I was at school - and back then the NASUWT were the more moderate of the field, yet they seem to be aligned more with the NUT today.

Is this on the packed lunch issue ? Bit extreme ..
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Good news for whoever took the 6/4. But why has it not been on the news? How long does it take to issue one of two pre-prepared press releases. I hope nothing is wrong.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    He was out on 6 and another 3rd umpire howler may have cost England a lead in the series but Asher Agar is a seriously impressive and likeable young man. His enthusiasm and sheer sense of enjoyment is inspirational. I hope he has a great career but does not take too many wickets today.
  • Options
    It's a Friday - and EdM has been tweeting. Perhaps he really shouldn't.

Kulgan of Crydee @KulganofCrydee
    @GuidoFawkes Did you just see @Ed_Miliband tweeting incorrect details about one of our fallen #Furious #DrummerLeeRigby NOT Fusilier
  • Options
    tim said:

So that's why the ciggie statement has been issued this morning

Arise King Lynton Number One
    Barnacle Bill is dead !
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    YossariansChild:

Cool name
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

Well for starters you've missed th point, if there's no packed lunches allowed then someone with a packed lunch stands out just the same as someone in Nike trainers

Secondly packed lunches are already "policed" due to allergies as many posters have already noted
    Yes you are right a chocolate bar or a can of coke hidden in a bag stands out just as much as a pair of trainers.

Packed lunches are not "policed" for allergies. I have never seen a teacher, learning assistant, or support staff rigorously checking lunches for a stray nut. Schools have policies on such things to look as if they are doing something.
  • Options
    England did get a bad decision with Agar and an unforgiveable one with Trott. Agar one you can shrug your shoulders even if he got a huge benefit of the doubt imo but Trott being given out by the 3rd unmpire (on no proof )when the on- field one gave him in was a sackable offence. Presumably the 3rd umpire purely looked at whether the ball was hitting the stumps and not weather trott had hit it (of which there was no proof he didn't as hotspot was not working). If he had no proof that the on-field umpire was wrong how could he give him out ?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

If the kids eat rubbish in their packed lunch, and most do, it will affect their ability to concentrate and their general behaviour. This will have a knock on effect across the rest of their class.

That sounds like a PhD thesis waiting to happen.
    To be fair to SO, there is plenty of work on the impact of nutrition on educational outcomes.

I just don't like the state banning something as a matter of principle.

With a boarding school it's a different set up because the school is in loco parentis - not sure if that really applies with day schools. Additionally the private school is a misleading comparison because the provision of room and board is a specific part of the contract.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    JackW said:

Give it time but we'll soon see Social Services raiding homes in the early hours to confiscate plastic lunch boxes, take the kids into "care" and prosecute the parents for reckless endangerment under the new School Lunches (Prevention of Obesity) Act.

Shouldn't that be the School Lunches Obesity Prevention Scheme...?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @Toms MajorMajorMajorMajorMinor would be a chore to type out every time though.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Out of curiosity = do school dinners still include the horrors of Spam fritters?

They seemed to my uneducated 12yrs palate immensely unhealthy since I could make the grease pool over the tines of my fork. Jack Sprat's wife would've loved them.

I was very fond of Spam - and would eat a whole tin with salad cream if given the chance. I bought some a year or two ago and it was so salty I couldn't manage a second bite...
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2013
    @richardDodd - that rumour hasn't hit twitter. Does your source have much credibility?

For disclosure, (and before the circus really kicks off) here's my net royal baby betting positions:

- £1.2k alexandra
    + £200 Charlotte, Victoria, Diana
    + £480 dorothy edith constance or olivia
    + £800 any other girls name
    + £1k any boys name

PS, Uurgh!:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2360274/Royal-baby-How-Duke-Duchess-Cambridge-prepared-imagined-Alison-Jackson.html
  • Options
    "Please do not feed the photographers'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23266321
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    John Prescott ‏@johnprescott 2m

Davidtoff #torycigs

@PaulbernalUK 3m

#torycigs Benson and (Dan) Hodges
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

tim said:

Well for starters you've missed th point, if there's no packed lunches allowed then someone with a packed lunch stands out just the same as someone in Nike trainers

Secondly packed lunches are already "policed" due to allergies as many posters have already noted
    Yes you are right a chocolate bar or a can of coke hidden in a bag stands out just as much as a pair of trainers.

Packed lunches are not "policed" for allergies. I have never seen a teacher, learning assistant, or support staff rigorously checking lunches for a stray nut. Schools have policies on such things to look as if they are doing something.
    A child not sitting down for lunch with all the others stands out.
    A school where every single student has lunch together at the same time does not exist. Some will be playing sport, in class doing extra-curricular activities, some will be outside my office waiting for a "chat". Many will be in the corridors or in the playground. Your premise therefore is fantasy.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

John Prescott ‏@johnprescott 2m

Davidtoff #torycigs

@PaulbernalUK 3m

#torycigs Benson and (Dan) Hodges

Ah John Prescott. A picture of health and moral decency!
  • Options
    According to Guido, Millibands pre speech warm up artist was telling porkies about not being associated with a union, except she says she is on her leaflets
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,215
    Pong said:
    F******, f******, f****** Hell!
    Propel the world sunward into fiery destruction now.

• Options
    A story to cater for all tastes, both those who adore talking about George Osborne and those who adore talking about the Scottish Independence referendum:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/chancellor-staggered-by-referendum-debate-failings.21581122

"The Chancellor George Osborne has been taken aback by how poorly the SNP's independence campaign has gone, according to Downing Street sources.

The Chancellor George Osborne has been taken aback by how poorly the SNP's independence campaign has gone, according to Downing Street sources.

They said that the UK Government's chief campaign co-ordinator was "staggered" by the lack of detail coming from the Scottish Government.

A Whitehall insider likened the battle to "professionals versus amateurs"."
  • Options
    Pong said:

@richardDodd - that rumour hasn't hit twitter. Does your source have much credibility?

And if the BBC are correct, the announcement will be in the traditional manner - notice at Buckingham Palace. In any case the DoC has not been admitted to hospital yet.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343

England did get a bad decision with Agar and an unforgiveable one with Trott. Agar one you can shrug your shoulders even if he got a huge benefit of the doubt imo but Trott being given out by the 3rd unmpire (on no proof )when the on- field one gave him in was a sackable offence. Presumably the 3rd umpire purely looked at whether the ball was hitting the stumps and not weather trott had hit it (of which there was no proof he didn't as hotspot was not working). If he had no proof that the on-field umpire was wrong how could he give him out ?

Agreed. The Trott decision was just perverse. And he has been England's most consistent batsman for some time now. If England win from here they can be pretty confident about the rest of the series.

Go KP. The stage is yours. Just the way you like it.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    School food. Here is my son's menu for this week. Things have changed a wee bit since I were a lad.

MENU Week Commencing 8 July

MONDAY
    Wraps – Crispy Duck, Barbeque Chicken Salad, Sweetcorn, Salsa, Peppers, Tuna, Cheese & Ham
    Fresh Fruit, Brown French Bread, Vegetables
    Dried Fruit and Cheddar Cheese
    Fresh Fruit Salad

TUESDAY
    Italian Herb Meatballs in Rich Tomato Sauce
    (V) Roasted Vegetables in Tomato Sauce
    Caesar Salad
    FreshFruit, Brown French Bread, Vegetables
    Lemon Drizzle Cake

WEDNESDAY
    Parmesan Crusted Chicken
    (V)Cheese & Tomato Quiche
    Minted Boiled Potatoes, Mixed Salad,
    Fresh Mango Chutney
    FreshFruit, Brown French Bread, Vegetables
    Strawberries & Cream

THURSDAY
    TEACHER’S FAVOURITE
    Cold Buffet Selection
    Fresh Fruit, Brown French Bread, Vegetables
    Banana Split

FRIDAY
    Sausage
    (V) Vegetarian Sausage
    Mash & Beans
    Greek Yogurt & Fresh Berry Compote
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    Plato said:

Out of curiosity = do school dinners still include the horrors of Spam fritters?

They seemed to my uneducated 12yrs palate immensely unhealthy since I could make the grease pool over the tines of my fork. Jack Sprat's wife would've loved them.

I was very fond of Spam - and would eat a whole tin with salad cream if given the chance. I bought some a year or two ago and it was so salty I couldn't manage a second bite...

I discovered that the food at my private school was fresh in my first year. I can't see how the live caterpillar in the salad could have survived otherwise ... :-)
  • Options
    Whilst sub-samples aren't exactly the last word in accuracy - does anyone know if there's a trend breakdown for YouGov anywhere?

Be interesting to see how the 18-25 vote is moving over time.

Natan Doron @natandoron
    Labour on 40% in @YouGov again - 8% lead over Tories. Lead less impressive with young people & in the south though cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_upload…
  • Options
    And for those who feel left out, here's the story of a Eurosceptic comparing Brussels' banking powers to the laws passed by the Nazis:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3b7a2ce4-ea33-11e2-b2f4-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2YoVMHlgW
  • Options
    antifrank said:

A story to cater for all tastes, both those who adore talking about George Osborne and those who adore talking about the Scottish Independence referendum:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/chancellor-staggered-by-referendum-debate-failings.21581122

"The Chancellor George Osborne has been taken aback by how poorly the SNP's independence campaign has gone, according to Downing Street sources.

The Chancellor George Osborne has been taken aback by how poorly the SNP's independence campaign has gone, according to Downing Street sources.

They said that the UK Government's chief campaign co-ordinator was "staggered" by the lack of detail coming from the Scottish Government.

A Whitehall insider likened the battle to "professionals versus amateurs"."

You can't help but think Osborne would just be better to STFU on the Indyref and spend more time with our broken economy. If there's one thing Salmond wants to have a fight with it's english toffs and plummy types like GO are ideal pickings.

On the content however, much as it pains me to agree with GO, to date he has a point.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Agreed. The Trott decision was just perverse. And he has been England's most consistent batsman for some time now. If England win from here they can be pretty confident about the rest of the series.

Go KP. The stage is yours. Just the way you like it.
    Trott decision had 2 issue which need resolved.

1) Side hotspot wasn't available as tv wanted to show the Root dismissal - is hotspot a tv toy or an umpire tool - well tv pays...

2) The 3rd umpire is looking for a reason to overturn the decision - there was no evidence that the ball missed the bat for the LBW - so correct decision should have been not out.

3rd umpire screwed up twice yesterday. TV company issue with hotspot is a grey area which needs cleared up in future.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

Anorak said:

*snip*

Looks good.
    How much per day?

Paid termly, works out about £2.10 a day. Which, given the quality, is pretty reasonable IMHO.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

tim said:

tim said:

A child not sitting down for lunch with all the others stands out.
    A school where every single student has lunch together at the same time does not exist. Some will be playing sport, in class doing extra-curricular activities, some will be outside my office waiting for a "chat". Many will be in the corridors or in the playground. Your premise therefore is fantasy.

There may be more than one sitting but in most primary schools the class will all eat together.Some separate kids with packed lunches but they all eat at the same time.

And the govt advisor recommends that teachers eat with their classes.
    So you were just talking about some Primary Schools then? Fair enough, I admire your enthusiasm, though, next time try to be more accurate in your statements. Examiners take a dim view of such laxness. If you rewrite your posts I'll be happy to give you more feedback.

Anyway off to watch the Ashes. I DO NOT want to see Bell or Bairstow before lunch!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @Anorak = blimey things have changed. Mine would've looked like this in the 70s/80s

MONDAY

Spam fritters with chips/boiled cabbage
    Dead fly pie with icing and custard

TUESDAY

Mixed egg salad with diced beetroot/grated carrot
    Swiss roll with custard

WEDNESDAY

Meat stew with mashed potatoes and boiled sliced carrot/abbage
    Jam and coconut topped sponge custard

THURSDAY

Chicken covered with breadcrumbs with mashed potatoes and peas/cabbage
    Gooseberry crumble and custard

FRIDAY

Fried battered fish with chips and peas
    Rhubarb or apple crumble with custard

* twice a term we'd get clear vegetable soup, a yoghurt and and apple.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @JosiasJessop

"I discovered that the food at my private school was fresh in my first year. I can't see how the live caterpillar in the salad could have survived otherwise ... :-) "

I found a caterpillar in my salad along with several dead bluebottles whilst at primary school. TBH, it was the diced beetroot that really turned me off as it bled into the watery quiche and turned the black edged boiled egg purple.

I can't think of anything that put me off salads more than beetroots - I haven't eaten one knowingly since I was about 7yrs old.
  • Options
    tim said:

The Tory front bench misogyny may be tragic, but this puts the fops into perspective.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/td-barry-apologises-for-pulling-collins-onto-lap-1.1460330#.Ud_PNTNxcZs.twitter

as ever sexually repressed the english middle class fail to enjoy the fun side of politics :-)
  • Options
    tim blames Osborne:

"Loans to first-time buyers at five-and-a-half-year high"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23285138
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    At my primary school we might have shavings of beef, lamb or pork; vegetables that had been boiled thoroughly till grey; warm milk, with a disgusting skin on top of it; curry that probably contained cat or dog; semolina; rice pudding; thick custard, and equally revolting things. The local pig farmer used to collect the leftovers, and he never went short. I never regretted having a packed lunch instead.
  • Options
    This is quite marvellous.

"Creating a better society through improved diet has long been the dream of domineering politicians. Here's one, quoted in Jonah Goldberg's Liberal Fascism, sounding like he'd do very well on one of David Cameron's task forces.

"The artificial is everywhere; everywhere food is adulterated, filled with ingredients that supposedly make it last longer, or look better, or pass as 'enriched', or whatever else the industry's ad men want us to believe… [W]e are in the hands of the food companies, whose economic clout and advertising make it possible for them to describe what we can and cannot eat….we shall take energetic steps to prevent the ruin of our people by the food industries."

You can almost hear the harpies at MumsNet applauding every word, can't you?

Yup, he sure knew a thing or two about the importance of nutrition did good old Heinrich Himmler." http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100226146/feed-schoolchildren-more-catered-food-says-caterer/
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

The Tory front bench misogyny may be tragic, but this puts the fops into perspective.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/td-barry-apologises-for-pulling-collins-onto-lap-1.1460330#.Ud_PNTNxcZs.twitter

as ever sexually repressed the english middle class fail to enjoy the fun side of politics :-)
    Just as long as the Mail don't get a celebrity photographer in to "imagine" what Michael Gove and Nadine Dorries would look like in the same position.

I was thinking more Burnham and Harman, but couldn't decide who'd be on who's knee.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    tim said:

tim said:

Just as long as the Mail don't get a celebrity photographer in to "imagine" what Michael Gove and Nadine Dorries would look like in the same position.

I think Nadine Dorries could do a lot better for herself.

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Helia Ebrahimi ‏@heliaebrahimi 1m
    Markets chief Michele Barnier says along w #royalbaby and Andy murray's win - uk shd also celebrate the anniversary of its EU membership

hehe
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tim said:

tim said:

I think Nadine Dorries could do a lot better for herself.

Someone who lives further away for more expenses ? ;)
  • Options
    Maybe its just me - but the growing trend of broadcasting the funerals of normal people who've died in tragic circumstances is just urgh.

R5 are doing it for Drummer Lee Rigby, and it was wall to wall everywhere over April Jones.

We don't know these people, or their families - they weren't public figures before their deaths - why has this become acceptable/desirable voyeuristic entertainment?
  • Options
    Pong said:

Markets chief Michele Barnier says along w #royalbaby and Andy murray's win - uk shd also celebrate the anniversary of its EU membership

hehe

yes indeed, a nice referendum to reconfirm out commitment to out continental cousins should be just about right. ;-)
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Sean_F said:

At my primary school we might have shavings of beef, lamb or pork; vegetables that had been boiled thoroughly till grey; warm milk, with a disgusting skin on top of it; curry that probably contained cat or dog; semolina; rice pudding; thick custard, and equally revolting things. The local pig farmer used to collect the leftovers, and he never went short. I never regretted having a packed lunch instead.

But it made us the men we are today! Perhaps it also explains Brian Coleman....
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Miss Plato, I quite agree. It's voyeuristic and intrusive.

Even worse, though, is when someone dies by malice or accident and the media are there to shove their microphones into the faces of distraught friends and family to get a few more seconds of news.
  • Options
    The ConHome piece on Ashcroft's immigration polling looks fascinating - this jumped out at me:

"The result would have been rather disconcerting for the Coalition parties. Miliband – yes, Miliband – seemed to come out on top. He was followed by Cameron and then Clegg. What won it for Miliband was his insistence, at least in this clip, that immigrants should be able to speak English. What lost it for Clegg was disbelief, even laughter, at the government achievements he claimed. When he said that the Coalition had cut net migration by a third, you could almost hear a collective “yeah, right” ripple through the audience – even though the Lib Dem leader was speaking the truth. And this response wasn’t just reserved for Tuition Fees Nick. Cameron got some of it, too.

And it didn’t get much better for the Coalition partners in the final session of the day. Here, the tables were presented with some modest proposals for immigration policy. Depending on which group you listened to, some did like and some didn’t like ideas such as, “Impose an annual limit on the migration from outside the EU” – but there was widespread uncertainty about whether these were already Government policy or not. It brought proceedings back to those questions asked in the first session: however much the politicians blather on, voters still aren’t sure of the facts.

...Trust is a sparse commodity in British politics. You can probably underline and italicise that fact when it comes to immigration." http://conservativehome.blogs.com/thetorydiary/2013/07/from-lord-ashcrofts-research-event-an-impression-emerges-people-dont-believe-politicians-when-it-com.html?utm_source=ConHome&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=IOT+piece
  • Options
    flangeflange Posts: 8
    Is it just me that thinks serving school meals directly onto plastic trays prison-style is just completely off-putting? They could improve the image of school meals a lot just by serving them on a proper plate.
  • Options
    Pong said:

hehe

Or hang on two days and drive Bastille Day out of the headlines?

• Options
    Salmond overdosing on his new "winning" phrase

"parcel o rogues"

• Options
    Apologies but to return to school food.

One thing that schools can, and should, do is have breakfasts available (not just a croissant but a full english - for me anyway ;) ). This, combined with teachers being available to offer advice, help with work etc. helps both nutritional and academic standards. 9am Breakfast / advice and lessons starting at 10am (teenagers work best with a later start) and finishing lessons at 4pm with sport and extra-curricular until it gets dark.

Most of all allow individual schools to experiment with their timetable / school day to see what works best for them.

Now really back to the Ashes.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    @tim

This little piggy went to Barnet,
    This little piggy stayed at home,
    This little piggy claimed vast sums,
    This little piggy claimed none.
    And this little piggy went...
    "Wee wee wee" all the way to Con home...
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    o/t While Cavendish will be desperate to win the opening stage of next year's Tour I think the fact that Kittel has stepped up a level and that anything can happen in sprint finishes means that the 8/1 offered by Hills on Cavendish winning no stages in GB next year (when there are likely to be 2 sprint finishes) is one of the best value cycling bets out there:

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/g/908001/Mark-Cavendish-Specials.html
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    TGOHF said:

Salmond overdosing on his new "winning" phrase

"parcel o rogues"

He anglicises it to 'parcel of rogues......

This discussion has been closed.