Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » White House Race round-up

123457»

Comments

• Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

Total crap, or at least this part is:

"3. The “octopus” line about Trump is engineered persuasion of the highest order. It makes the story deeply visual and extra-creepy. Godzilla, or someone similarly skilled, is probably behind that word. It’s too engineered for a civilian to concoct during an interview. That’s professional work. And it’s probably a golden stake through Trump’s political heart. (Well played.)"

I remember girls at Uni back in the 1980s who would complain about certain fellow male classmates who had 'wandering hands like an octopus".
    what's this Godzilla he's on about, tho?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Mortimer said:

scotslass said:

CHESTNIT

Don't know which programme you were watching.Salmond and the guy from the former Indy were the only ones speaking any sense on QT. The audience were very pro Brexit but the arguments were with the Remainers. The audience reminded me of Wallpole's quote "Today they ring the bells. tomorrow their hands!"

Salmond.

Salmond was an irrelevance. The whole rationale behind the stupid 2nd referendum talk is to try and get the SNP a sliver of influence in GB politics. As with Lab and the LDs they've been totally blindsided and cast aside by Brexit.

Amazing how few people see this. May has parked her tanks over EVERYONE's lawns.
    and yet , the one party losing votes everywhere in today's by elections are the Conservatives . If May and the Conservatives are so wonderful why don't people want to go out and vote for them ?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Barnesian said:

Poole result was

LD 2184
    Con 733
    UKIP 132
    Green 57
    Lab 45

That looks like a good result for the LibDems.

I think the May 2015 result was LibDem 2262, Con 2842.

I can't work out the swing.
    There was some tremendous Tory council wins in the Mid Dorset constituency - largely because local elections coincided with the general, where MDNP was a hyper marginal Westminster seat and the focus of huge amounts of activists attention. I have a worn down pair of Barkers in the cupboard to prove it - walked 25 miles delivering and canvassing on the day before polling day.

I can't imagine there was any real expectation of us holding it (Broadstone ward is a LD stronghold usually) on cold October day in 2016. As an example, I am on the activist mailing list and didn't even know about it.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Catching up. Wow, Michelle Obama has come out swinging the bat.

As I said, ignore the polls and look at behaviour. Going OTT on Trump looked weird.

And deployment of Michelle whilst Hillary is AWOL.

There's something up. Polling or stuff, who knows - but it's there.

I think this is a great selection deal closer than it looks. Otherwise, why the uber smearing?

It makes no sense.
    As discussed on the PB podcast yesterday, the candidates both do better when they are not in the headlines. Keeping Trump top of the news gives Clinton an advantage.

Sometimes Occam's razor is deployable
  • Options

Mortimer said:

scotslass said:

CHESTNIT

Don't know which programme you were watching.Salmond and the guy from the former Indy were the only ones speaking any sense on QT. The audience were very pro Brexit but the arguments were with the Remainers. The audience reminded me of Wallpole's quote "Today they ring the bells. tomorrow their hands!"

Salmond.

Salmond was an irrelevance. The whole rationale behind the stupid 2nd referendum talk is to try and get the SNP a sliver of influence in GB politics. As with Lab and the LDs they've been totally blindsided and cast aside by Brexit.

Amazing how few people see this. May has parked her tanks over EVERYONE's lawns.
    and yet , the one party losing votes everywhere in today's by elections are the Conservatives . If May and the Conservatives are so wonderful why don't people want to go out and vote for them ?
    BECAUSE THESE ARE LOCAL COUNCIL ELECTIONS AND IT IS OCTOBER
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,428
    PlatoSaid said:

As I said, ignore the polls and look at behaviour. Going OTT on Trump looked weird.

I think this is a great selection deal closer than it looks. Otherwise, why the uber smearing?

It makes no sense.
    Er, to win. And win big, down ticket big, taking the Senate as well.

Also, it seemed to me that Michelle Obama was genuinely very very angry and nobody was going to stop her speaking. And rightly so. Trump is unfit to be President and nearly everyone knows this.
  • Options
    Paul Mason

#rattled
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

scotslass said:

CHESTNIT

Salmond.

touched a nerve, or a KEYBOARD MALFUNCtion
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited October 2016
    < class="Quote" rel="Mortimer">
    chestnut said:

Remoaners getting crucified on QT tonight.

They really are.

And more specifically, I have never seen such a negative reaction to everything said by the Labour Party representative.

If it's this bad in London, what's it like for them elsewhere?

Hendon is a Tory part of London and, perhaps more relevant, a very Jewish area. Of all communities the Jewish community is the least impressed with Labour right now.

More seriously, QT audiences are designed to be pretty reflective of a broad range of opinions. They are good reflections of the demos in general - which is why it remains a watchable programme that parties send serious reps to.

A watchable programme..... Hmmm.

Jobabob said:

I have taken 5.5 to 1 on any sort of Trump win which is good enough. It's a longshot loser - I hope.

Your investment is about to appear at a rally in Ohio. Nobody can say he's not putting in the work on the campaign trail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcoAGsUCSPo
    10,000 Pussey grabs a rally. Really hard work indeed.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

It makes no sense.
    You offering any bets on your thinking?
  • Options
    scotslass said:

CHESTNIT

They'll be wringing them hands in Sunderland before too long.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

scotslass said:

CHESTNIT

Salmond.

It frustrates me how excited people get with LDs winning wards in safe Tory party seats (especially one I know an awful lot about), translating that into support for whatever pet policy said LD ramper wants to translate it. It is the very epitome of 'winning here' baloney.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

PlatoSaid said:

It makes no sense.
    Apparently not.

Funny old world.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

scotslass said:

CHESTNIT

Salmond.

Leave them to it. OGH is equally excited... tweeting how the tories have lost half their seats tonight.....
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited October 2016
    This is interesting

MAGA advert saying Trump is basically a black guy. Flashy car et al.

The media won't interview black Trump supporters, so we did!

#MAGA3X https://t.co/cigdpYivNF

I'm obviously not this demographic, but it's a well executed ad
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @MarkSenior

'and yet , the one party losing votes everywhere in today's by elections are the Conservatives . If May and the Conservatives are so wonderful why don't people want to go out and vote for them ?'

Because at a local level nobody is as good as the Lib Dems at keeping public toilets open.

• Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784

PlatoSaid said:

It makes no sense.
    its not really smearing to condemn what Trump said.

Trump and the GOP are the ones clearly in a panic
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Mortimer

Salmond may be many things but hardly irrelevant.

The SNP are at 52 per cent in Scottish polls, 50 per cent in Westminster ones, independence at 48 per cent and support for Indy 2 at 55 per cent today against a hard Brexit.

The UK has a lack of tanks and they are not parked just out of petrol!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

scotslass said:

CHESTNIT

Salmond.

It frustrates me how excited people get with LDs winning wards in safe Tory party seats (especially one I know an awful lot about), translating that into support for whatever pet policy said LD ramper wants to translate it. It is the very epitome of 'winning here' baloney.
    'winning here' got them to coalition govt in the end...

whether it can again, who knows. Your local knowledge might have been more persuasive than the block capitals, mind
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Mortimer

The SNP are at 52 per cent in Scottish polls, 50 per cent in Westminster ones, independence at 48 per cent and support for Indy 2 at 55 per cent today against a hard Brexit.

In UK wide politics, they're now an irrelevance. Brexit is all consuming of the political agenda.
  • Options
    Gill Furniss MP
    @GillFurnissMP
    Pleased to announce I'm the new Shadow Minister for Steel! Looking forward to working with @labourlewis and the team to #SaveOurSteel !

Who is the Shadow Minister for the Five Year Tractor Production Plan?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

scotslass said:

Mortimer

In UK wide politics, they're now an irrelevance. Brexit is all consuming of the political agenda.
    Whilst Scotland quietly leaves the union.
  • Options
    Her favourables are now just -5% as for his well er ha ha. LOL. I think these supplementaries are important here as they were in GE 2015.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

scotslass said:

CHESTNIT

Salmond.

'winning here' got them to coalition govt in the end...

whether it can again, who knows. Your local knowledge might have been more persuasive than the block capitals, mind
    It was a reaction to Mark's constant LD ramping. But granted it doesn't add much apart from making me feel better.

My post at 12.52 explains the reasons why I am in no way surprised we lost this by election.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

scotslass said:

Mortimer

Hahahaha.

Seen the oil price lately?
  • Options
    619 said:

PlatoSaid said:

It makes no sense.

Not sure panic is a sufficiently strong word for what is going on in GOP HQ at the moment.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    edited October 2016

Mortimer said:

scotslass said:

Mortimer

But Scotland remaining in the other union will echo around these islands until the Leavers' ears are ringing. It'll be a choice between little England and no Brexit.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

scotslass said:

Mortimer

Hahahaha.

Fair point. But my feeling is that wont matter.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

scotslass said:

Mortimer

Hahahaha.

Fair point. But my feeling is that wont matter.
    Laughter aside, oil is the shorthand - real emotional and physical ties with the Union the underlying reasons why Scots voted No. And would again, if NiSt is silly enough to call for a referendum...
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

This is interesting

This tweeter feed seems to be a desperate effort at some kind of basic ground game ( pls phone 3 other people). Meanwhile the real ground game and GOTV of the Dems is smashing GOP out of the park (mainly because GOP is only doing down ticket stuff).
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

scotslass said:

CHESTNIT

Salmond.

Well they were quite happy to turn out and vote Conservative last October and previous Octobers when Cameron ( you know the one you stabbed in the back ) was leader . Why should it be any different this October
  • Options

619 said:

PlatoSaid said:

It makes no sense.

Not sure panic is a sufficiently strong word for what is going on in GOP HQ at the moment.
    Lol. Yeah they're happy for him to lose, looks like they will keep the house and maybe even Senate.
  • Options
    Cyrus the 45th Chapter
    It was prior to my second meeting with Trump when I ran across an unusual image on my
    computer. It was a picture of him seated in the Oval Office with these words: “Donald Trump
    45th President of the United States.” The image made a peculiar impression on me. I wanted to return to my work, but could not shake the
    image. It struck me the same way the “wrecking ball” word did.

Immediately after that, I heard the Lord say, “Read Isaiah 45.”
    Now I don’t pretend to hear God all the time so the few times I do hear, it stands out. I had a
    King James Version Bible near me and began to read: “Thus says the LORD to his anointed, to
    Cyrus, whose right hand I have grasped, to subdue nations before him and to loose the belts of
    kings, to open doors before him that gates may not be closed” (Isaiah 45:1).
    “Cyrus,” I thought? “Who is he again? How does this matter to America right now?”
    Here’s what I found: In Isaiah 45, God prophesied that He would raise up a ruler named Cyrus,
    and this was announced 150 years before the man was born. Cyrus is mentioned by name 30
    times in the Bible, and it was the Cyrus decree that authorized the return of the Jews to Jerusalem
    to rebuild the house of God. It was also this decree that empowered Nehemiah to build his wall.
    Isaiah predicted that Cyrus would virtually walk right into Babylon and take it. In 539 B.C., a
    man named Cyrus did just that— he took Babylon without a struggle. According to the Greek
    historian Herodotus, his army diverted the course of the Euphrates river, making the river level
    drop and giving the invading forces the ability to enter into the city that night through the
    riverbed. It was just as Isaiah the prophet said, prophesying to Babylon, "I will dry up your
    rivers" (Isaiah 44:27).
    The Bible tells us that as the Babylonian King Belshazzar and his friends were drunk with wine,
    no one had noticed that the waters in the Euphrates were diminishing. Cyrus marched his armies
    across the riverbed. Just as Isaiah wrote, the gates would “not be closed” (Isaiah 45:1), and the
    Persians easily entered the city through the open gates. "That very night Belshazzar, king of the
    Babylonians, was slain” (Daniel 5:30, NIV).
    Within a year, Cyrus declared all the Jews held captive in Babylon were to be set free and
    allowed to return home to Jerusalem, as described in Ezra 1. These two events— the taking of
    Babylon the Great, without a battle, and the freeing of the Jews soon after— are both remarkable
    historical events tied to a prophecy in Isaiah 150 years before they occurred. I find it remarkable
    that God calls people to specific tasks before they were born, don’t you?
  • Options
    Bill Mitchell ‏@mitchellvii
    FoxNews last poll was D+2 sample. This one jumps to D+9? Why?

TSE was u gonna do a thread on why this is rubbish? Thanx.
  • Options
    I think the prophet Isiah is telling me to bet on either Miley, or Billy Ray for president. I'm just not sure which one

(I found this link via Platos MAGA ad, by the way. just in case you thought it was me hearing the word of God)
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

This is interesting

This tweeter feed seems to be a desperate effort at some kind of basic ground game ( pls phone 3 other people). Meanwhile the real ground game and GOTV of the Dems is smashing GOP out of the park (mainly because GOP is only doing down ticket stuff).
    Well, let's see. A couple of points will help.

As I've said - rather too much snooty thinking here re Trump.
  • Options
    Mortimer

In sterling terms the oil price is now over double where it was some months ago. However there is much more to this argument than oil.

Meanwhile the SNP may hold the key to a succession of parliamentary initiatives.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

scotslass said:

Mortimer

But Scotland remaining in the other union will echo around these islands until the Leavers' ears are ringing. It'll be a choice between little England and no Brexit.
    An easy choice if ever there was one. Especially as 45% voted to LEAVE last time.
  • Options
    That hoax sex thing

Niacin NYC
    How did Trump 'nudge' HOaXer #MindyMcGillivray at concert that NEVER occurred⁉ #Fail Bring out #NextFakeTrumpVictim
    https://t.co/R71PwUWNA1 https://t.co/Uf30Qx3QzR
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Trump: "If Hillary's in China and she goes down in Tiananmen Square they're just going to leave her there. They'll say she'll get up when she's ready. They're tough people."
  • Options
    Paul Joseph Watson
    No presidential candidate has ever talked like this. Not even Goldwater.

This is why the establishment hates Trump. https://t.co/AHBGbAvGdy
  • Options
    Who knows, but that's a massive audience

102k online for a rally - that's triple the best I've seen and more

@realDonaldTrump @mitchellvii @Cernovich @mike_pence @therealroseanne @FoxNews This is TRUMPS VIEWERS RIGHT NOW, BYE BYE CLINTON. https://t.co/X9V3gfdXSE
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

@realDonaldTrump @mitchellvii @Cernovich @mike_pence @therealroseanne @FoxNews This is TRUMPS VIEWERS RIGHT NOW, BYE BYE CLINTON. https://t.co/X9V3gfdXSE

yeah, but a fair number of them were people like me, tuning in for the horrorshow
  • Options
    WTF? Reporter jailed

https://youtu.be/dyzXQ6ArGbA
  • Options

Trump: "If Hillary's in China and she goes down in Tiananmen Square they're just going to leave her there. They'll say she'll get up when she's ready. They're tough people."

Wtf does that even mean? Mad man.
  • Options
    nunu said:

He's referring to her collapse.
  • Options

nunu said:

So he thinks if Xi collapsed they'd just leave him on the floor?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @scotslass

'In sterling terms the oil price is now over double where it was some months ago. However there is much more to this argument than oil.'

But an economic basket case like Greece.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

WTF? Reporter jailed

https://youtu.be/dyzXQ6ArGbA

There seems to be a crisis in American police forces generally. Does it say what she was charged with?
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@scotslass

'In sterling terms the oil price is now over double where it was some months ago. However there is much more to this argument than oil.'

But an economic basket case like Greece.

Brexit shows that warnings about economics are not such a reliable persuasive factor anymore
  • Options

nunu said:

I'm not Trump's spokesman, but I believe it was a joke.
  • Options

nunu said:

I'm not Trump's spokesman, but I believe it was a joke.
    I see! It's so hard to tell, these days
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    PlatoSaid said:

50,000 is a lot of people to vote for a Labour leader, but he's got no chance either.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    PlatoSaid said:

50,000 is a lot of people to vote for a Labour leader, but he's got no chance either.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2016
    (deleted)
  • Options
    John Zims

Scotland without oil included has a GDP just below the UK average and higher than any part of the country except London and the South East. Despite the oil job losses of the last two years it has higher employment and lower unemployment than the UK average. If it stays in the single marketplace while England opts out it shall very quickly be more prosperous'.

Only in the minds of the London media, zombies in the Q.T audience and of course yourself is if a "basket case". However dont stop saying it because you are helping the cause.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

John Zims

Scotland without oil included has a GDP just below the UK average and higher than any part of the country except London and the South East. Despite the oil job losses of the last two years it has higher employment and lower unemployment than the UK average. If it stays in the single marketplace while England opts out it shall very quickly be more prosperous'.

Only in the minds of the London media, zombies in the Q.T audience and of course yourself is if a "basket case". However dont stop saying it because you are helping the cause.

1) Scotland is leaving the EU
    2) If Scotland left the UK it would be leaving it's biggest market

Economics, bad enough already, would get worse.

A basket case would likely become a failed state.
  • Options
    Mortimer

England sells more to Scotland that to India and China combined. It even sells more goods and services to Scotland than it does to Ireland with whom the UK Goverment is desperately trying to avoid a hard border and has already pledged to do so.

Scotland had no wish to leave the EU and the single market and is perfectly content wit the benefits of free movement of people. The Scots are also liked by other Europeans who hold the country in much higher esteem than you do.

Finally I notice that while racist incidents in England rose by 40 per cent in the aftermath of Brexit they declined in Scotland by 15 per cent. Perhaps you should chew on that and contemplate which society is likely to embrace the modern world and which is in danger of becoming the basket case.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940

slade said:

Broadstone,Poole: LD 2184, Con 733, UKIP 132, Green 57, Lab 45. LD gain from Con. The LD candidate was Vicki Slade who was the GE candidate in 2015.

Any relation? :)
    No.
This discussion has been closed.