Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corporeal on the GOP and project Dump Trump

Comments

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Tim Stanley
    Normally pols bother to say "I'll put experience before politics in Court." Clinton is pure culture warrior on this #debate
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    corporeal said:

TonyE said:

Clinton goes for Roe v Wade. Why does anyone think it's even an issue any more?

You think it isn't?
    It is for a narrow group of voters, but essentially it's untouchable. It's old law now, and it's still there.
  • Options

Audience looks so alienated and hostile.

Well one is a raving loony pacing around the room and the other is a robot with no human warmth.
  • Options
    They should just kill the mic when the time is up.
  • Options
    Great last question!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2016
    Never felt so happy to have May and Hammond running this country...
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    RobD said:

nunu said:

Moderators are rubbish, Trump might have rescued his campaign tonight but he is 5% behind.

Amazed it wasn't 90 minutes on the tapes, to be honest.
    Amazed Trump spoke in full sentences mostly.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Great last question!

Very difficult!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2016
    That is a bad answer from Clinton. She should just have said something like "he has worked hard to create lots of jobs for working class Americans and America was built on this".
  • Options

That is a bad answer from Clinton. She should just have said something like "he has worked hard to create lots of jobs".

I'm dreading what Trump is going to say... :o
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Is Clinton going to be asked if she has the discipline?

No this is an attack Trump question.

So many of the questions have been this....a setup up for one or the other to attack the other.

How about some questions on domestic policy?
    There you go.. supreme court justices. Still don't get why the courts are so politicised here.
    Because the constitution is so fixed. In the UK argument about say gun control, freedom of speech, abortion etc are played out in parliament as part of debates over what laws we should have. If a judge interprets something one way then the judge's interpretation is secondary to the solution of change the law.

Since those debates in the US are centred around the constitution and the interpretations of a fixed document then the politics is moved onto the judges, their interpretations, and hence their appointments.
  • Options

That is a bad answer from Clinton. She should just have said something like "he has worked hard to create lots of jobs and America was built on this".

She had to say something.... I suppose. Better than "he's a Yankees fan!"
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Rumours on twitter that Pence has / is very shortly to quit. Not sure how much credence I'd give them but Trump's Syria answer was not that of a team with any, well, team.
  • Options
    Trump answered the last question very well indeed.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525

Major rumors swirling in real time, right now that @mike_pence has asked 2 be removed from the Presidential ticket. Historic Wow. #debate

— Steve Clemons (@SCClemons) 10 October 2016

Could wipe most of the last 90 minutes out of the news
  • Options
    Looks like it might be a narrow Trump victory in this debate, or perhaps a tie.
  • Options

Trump answered the last question very well indeed.

Yep.. nowhere near as bad as I had feared!

Now.. handshake?
  • Options
    A handshake!
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    RobD said:

That is a bad answer from Clinton. She should just have said something like "he has worked hard to create lots of jobs".

I'm dreading what Trump is going to say... :o
    Said she doesn't quit, very good answer. He lives on to fight another day.
    Felt like Hillary pulled her punches she had so many chances but didn't take them. Nigel Farage prep clearly worked for him.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    They were both crap, especially Clinton who should have gone for blood but didn't.
  • Options
    Trump improved from 5.8 to 5.3 during the debate, but went as low as 6.4 at one point.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Trump is such a weird individual. In really really brief glimpses you see why he does run an empire and has managed to befriend the great and the good (I think the Christmas cards are going to be less numerous this year though)...then other 99% of the time he just rambles utter bollocks, not just I don't agree with him, I mean the words don't come out in a logical order or make any sense.
  • Options
    Interesting. Trump won it in my view, but it won't save his campaign barring disasters from Clinton's campaign.
  • Options
    Frank Luntz
    Trump's closing was perfect.

Concise, sincere, and didn't try to segway into a stump speech. #Debate https://t.co/k6vxvGx2YU
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,700
    AndyJS said:

I remember in the 80s visiting the US when Thatcher appeared on a TV news interview - it was like lightning coming out of the screen compared to the bland mush of local politicians.....
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I remember in the 80s visiting the US when Thatcher appeared on a TV news interview - it was like lightning coming out of the screen compared to the bland mush of local politicians.....
    That doesn't surprise me!
  • Options
    There is now absolutely no chance Trump won't be standing at the final hurdle. I'm not sure that's a good thing, because although he'll be a more anglophile President than Hilary, I'm not.convinced either of them are up to the job.

I dread either of them equally
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

They were both crap, especially Clinton who should have gone for blood but didn't.

No, I don't agree. She should have just totally ignored him and the WWE style attacks. She should have just answered every question with the focus group stuff. Its boring, its not believable coming from her, but it is what you expect the president to say.
  • Options
    Frank Luntz
    Who had the greater positive impact on your voting choice tonight?

• 21 say Trump
    • 9 say Clinton

#Debate2016 https://t.co/wAwekyA97n
  • Options
    Wasn't she and Bill at his wedding? :D
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    RobD said:

Wasn't she and Bill at his wedding? :D
    At the third one.
  • Options
    Alright, how long until I'm told how to think regarding who won?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    AndyJS said:

Trump improved from 5.8 to 5.3 during the debate, but went as low as 6.4 at one point.

Yep, he seems to have done better here. It's pretty marginal though, Clinton went from 1.25 to 1.28, ie 80% to 78%.

Market effects will likely be swamped by polls coming out, which won't be pretty for Trump over the next few days - question then whether that damage from his recent thoughts on women persists.
  • Options
    Congrats to my running mate @realDonaldTrump on a big debate win! Proud to stand with you as we #MAGA.

From Pence twitter feed
  • Options

Dromedary said:

No, I don't agree. She should have just totally ignored him and the WWE style attacks. She should have just answered every question with the focus group stuff. Its boring, its not believable coming from her, but it is what you expect the president to say.

Dromedary said:

Actually in this setting your right she can't do what she did last time. But Trump still had some good one liners. He won on points.
  • Options
    TonyE said:

Congrats to my running mate @realDonaldTrump on a big debate win! Proud to stand with you as we #MAGA.

From Pence twitter feed

So much for twitter rumors...
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Love CNN balanced fact check...they didn't find any Clinton lies. All the fact they checked on her were true, and Trump all but one lies.

Not one porky CNN from Clinton in 90 mins, not one....nothing. You weren't listening or looking. On her emails, she was all over the shop.

Although to be fair, Trump was coming out with so many whoppers, they were probably too busy.
  • Options
    RobD said:

The first half was like Jerry Springer, the second half just boring.
  • Options
    and I just had a realisation.. Trump didn't say "wrong" onto the mic at all!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    TonyE said:

From Pence twitter feed

Louise Mensch will be so disappointed.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    TonyE said:

From Pence twitter feed

If Trump had tanked he would have perhaps quit. The GOP seems to be amazingly fickle on Trump
  • Options
    edited October 2016

RobD said:

And I still have bugger all clue about any concrete policies...even ban all the Muslims from Trump is now unspecified EXXXXXXXTREEEMEE Vetting.
  • Options

RobD said:

And I still have bugger all clue about any concrete policies...even ban all the Muslims from Trump is now EXXXXXXXTREEEMEE Vetting.
    And Hillary would be in jail if he were president. ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    In all seriousness I have literally no idea what Clinton is proposing. Nothing. Not a sausage. Is she proposing to basically just do whatever Obama is doing?
  • Options
    Frank Luntz
    Focus Group: Who are you willing to vote for?

BEFORE #DEBATE
    • Hillary: 8
    • Trump: 9

AFTER DEBATE
    • Hillary: 4
    • Trump: 18
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Love CNN balanced fact check...they didn't find any Clinton lies. All the fact they checked on her were true, and Trump all but one lies.

Not one porky CNN from Clinton in 90 mins, not one....nothing. You weren't listening or looking. On her emails, she was all over the shop.

Although to be fair, Trump was coming out with so many whoppers, they were probably too busy.

She was all over the shop but did she make specific untrue claims?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Which channel CNN or fox news?
  • Options

RobD said:

And I still have bugger all clue about any concrete policies...
    Trump planned to cut income taxes from 35% to 15%.

No scrutiny at all as to what that would do to US finances.

Our politicians are crap, but less crap than theirs.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

EXXXXXXXTREEEMEE Vetting.

Sounds like it would make a popular reality tv show. maybe that's what he's got in mind
  • Options

They should just kill the mic when the time is up.

They should replace the actual voice with a hilarious parody voice.
  • Options
    nunu said:

RobD said:

Which channel CNN or fox news?
    Hoping for some "scientific" polls :p
  • Options

Sounds like it would make a popular reality tv show. maybe that's what he's got in mind
    maybe Robson Jerome will be available
  • Options
    edited October 2016

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if on November 9th we start to see trailers running for a new reality tv series....coming this Winter, Trump The Election Campaign...all the behind the scenes footage....brought to you by the makers of the Apprentice and lots of other shit reality shows...
  • Options

I think that's odd. I thought the Syria "line in the sand" was.2012. Wasn't She still in office til 13?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

. (Not being able to cross the border for a pint with your cousin because the crossing is now closed for the evening.)

And acting all surprised when someone asks why you are bringing 100 head of cows with you
  • Options

In all seriousness I have literally no idea what Clinton is proposing. Nothing. Not a sausage. Is she proposing to basically just do whatever Obama is doing?

More or less, but Obama has better approval ratings than either of these two, and with good reason.

Trump is an imbecile and demonstrated in the first half, no answers at all in the second.

Back to bed for me.
  • Options

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if on November 9th we start to see trailers running for a new reality tv series....coming this Winter, Trump The Election Campaign...all the behind the scenes footage....brought to you by the makers of the Apprentice and lots of other shit reality shows...
    I am so glad I don't watch TV!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    TonyE said:

There is now absolutely no chance Trump won't be standing at the final hurdle. I'm not sure that's a good thing, because although he'll be a more anglophile President than Hilary, I'm not.convinced either of them are up to the job.

I dread either of them equally

It's the sort of dread I'd have of a George W Bush third term of four more years.....

I'm thinking even more that the Queen should offer the US a Governor General. Maybe Prince Harry? They Yanks maybe think "OK, it has been over two hundred years, but given we've come to this point, Independence has truly shown to have failed..."
  • Options
    Frank Luntz
    Keys to Debate #2:

1. Trump had a sense of humor – he was funny and ironic, not mean and nasty.

2. Trump spent most of the debate on offense. Hillary was on defense – she struggled on it and suffered for it.

3. Hillary baited Trump several times tonight – but he didn't take it.

He stayed focused on the issues. #debate

4. Nevertheless, Trump did weaken in the last half-hour by not answering questions. (and ineffectively pivoting)

5. Trump had the best closing tonight and probably of any debate we've seen this year – a sincere compliment about his opponent. #Debate
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    https://twitter.com/jameswest2010/status/785299464302977024

This did look odd. I tuned in just when he was doing it.

Also, why all the sniffing? Has he caught a cold?
  • Options
    I still think Clinton will win. But I think she'll have the shortest honeymoon of any President in history. It will be a reluctant vote for the current political order, but not a comfortable one for many.
  • Options

RobD said:

And I still have bugger all clue about any concrete policies...
    Trump planned to cut income taxes from 35% to 15%.

No scrutiny at all as to what that would do to US finances.

Our politicians are crap, but less crap than theirs.
    Ed milliband was a million times better than both of them. That's saying something.
  • Options
    Well good night everyone. I have enjoyed the discussion on here!! I doubt the world has rocked on its axis tonight really. Still a month to go!!
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Frank Luntz
    Keys to Debate #2:

1. Trump had a sense of humor – he was funny and ironic, not mean and nasty.

2. Trump spent most of the debate on offense. Hillary was on defense – she struggled on it and suffered for it.

3. Hillary baited Trump several times tonight – but he didn't take it.

He stayed focused on the issues. #debate

4. Nevertheless, Trump did weaken in the last half-hour by not answering questions. (and ineffectively pivoting)

5. Trump had the best closing tonight and probably of any debate we've seen this year – a sincere compliment about his opponent. #Debate

You seem v. fond of this Frank chap, Plato.

Point 5 though. yes, that was a surprise. He did seem sincere. He doesn't usually (IMHO, obv)
  • Options

twitter.com/jameswest2010/status/785299464302977024

Putting something down on his desk? Blame the camera angle.
  • Options

Definitely something beginning with "co".
  • Options
    RobD said:

I think I saw it from a different angle? Were there different tv channels? I was looking at the washington post. He looked like he was prowling. opinions will differ.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited October 2016
    Has someone told Trump that he looks convincing when he makes that thumb and forefinger circle? Personally I found it so incredibly irritating that I had to turn off.
  • Options

cockatiel?
  • Options

RobD said:

I think I saw it from a different angle? Were there different tv channels? I was looking at the washington post. He looked like he was prowling. opinions will differ.
    You can see the desk right there... remember he is a lot taller than her.
  • Options

cockatiel?
    coaldust
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

You can see the desk right there... remember he is a lot taller than her.
    Yeah, I see the desk. It wasn't just the few seconds in that gif though. Just wondering about the nonverbal aspects of this. If Nixon failed by sweating..

So, Trumps funny positioning and sniffles. Hilary's dodgy smile while being criticised.
  • Options

cockatiel?
    coaldust
    Ah, busy saving the coal industry. makes sense
  • Options
    Washington Examiner
    Pollster Frank Luntz says Trump is back in the game. Focus group: Trump won. https://t.co/MzmnXjpjQZ https://t.co/9fb2XyJSpX

Video
  • Options
    moderators at no point said "Who's she, the cat's mother?" disappointing
  • Options
    Trump Coast
    When Hillary Clinton's spokesman @JesseLehrich is tweeting F- bombs, you know she lost the debate, badly. https://t.co/trXFqd08Oe
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Washington Examiner
    Pollster Frank Luntz says Trump is back in the game. Focus group: Trump won. https://t.co/MzmnXjpjQZ https://t.co/9fb2XyJSpX

Video

"Trump's highest moment during the first half the debate was when he vowed to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate Clinton if he is elected president"

Can he actually do that, or does he need to amend the constitution first?
  • Options
    619 said:

twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/785321956203700224

Wondered where you had got to...
  • Options
    Hillary holding steady on Betfair at 1.27. Total value of matched bets nearing £60 million.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Washington Examiner

Video

"Trump's highest moment during the first half the debate was when he vowed to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate Clinton if he is elected president"

He can't do that according to CNN.
  • Options
    Off Topic - Elections and Referenda seem to have worked wonders for YouGov. A year ago its share price was languishing at 116p, now it's at 213p. Can't be anything to do with Peter Kellner having retired surely?
  • Options
    nunu said:

PlatoSaid said:

Washington Examiner

Video

He can't do that according to CNN.
    Thanks, I thought it sounded unlikely.

• Options
    619 said:
    People follow what they are told, they need to be led.
  • Options
    Incredible discrepancy between the pollsters as regards who won tonight's debate - renders the whole thing something of a joke.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784

Incredible discrepancy between the pollsters as regards who won tonight's debate - renders the whole thing something of a joke.

well, there have been two, and clinton won both.
  • Options
  • Options
    619 said:
    it reminds me of the kind of wee boys who admire "pick-up artists"
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Looks more like "Strangers in the night ..."
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,700

moderators at no point said "Who's she, the cat's mother?" disappointing

That struck me as well - is it as rude in America as it is in the UK?

Although I don't think its the moderators role to police the incivility of candidates.

It was also clearly a deliberate strategy - so strong on core vote, but may not appeal to female voters.

Nate Silver on what happens if no women vote for Trump:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CeSbXNiWsAA4lhK.jpg:large
  • Options
    619 said:

You're forgetting Luntz who had Trump being the easy winner.
  • Options

619 said:

You're forgetting Luntz who had Trump being the easy winner.
    thats a focus group, not a poll. CNN'S focus group was very different
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Looks more like "Strangers in the night ..."
    Or as the late, great Terry Wogan would have said "Stranglers in the Night".
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

She said that everything Trump claimed about emails was untrue.
This discussion has been closed.