Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corporeal on the GOP and project Dump Trump

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

weejonnie said:

ydoethur said:

619 said:

Trump is tweeting a poll today that puts him 2% ahead of Clinton.

No idea as to where it stands on the Gold Standard tto Voodoo scale though:

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/10/la-times-usc-dornsife-sunday-poll-donald-trump-retains-2-point-lead-hillary/

La times? exactly one step up from voodoo
    A most unfair and unworthy statement. The chicken entrails have a far greater chance of being accurate.
    La Times may be skewed to the GOP - but presumably the trend would be pretty accurate.

At the moment of course things are not developing necesserilly to Trump's advantage - but there are 4 weeks to go.
    The media cycle could move on from Trump's comments, just as it did from Hillary's incident at the 9/11 memorial, which now seems to be forgotten. However, the mass withdrawal of Republican bigwig support looks like the real game-changer.
    Does it - Trump is the 'anti-establishment' candidate in effect if not in name. The fact that the establishment are dropping him could be construed positively.
    Not in GOTV/campaigning efforts.

The GOP infrastructure have dumped Trump/gone on strike.

It seems inconceivable Trump can win without their day to day/operational support.
    Which century are you living in? Social media is the game changer here.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Iceland are leading Turkey 2-0 after 75 mins:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37602801
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

weejonnie said:

ydoethur said:

619 said:

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/10/la-times-usc-dornsife-sunday-poll-donald-trump-retains-2-point-lead-hillary/

A most unfair and unworthy statement. The chicken entrails have a far greater chance of being accurate.
    La Times may be skewed to the GOP - but presumably the trend would be pretty accurate.

At the moment of course things are not developing necesserilly to Trump's advantage - but there are 4 weeks to go.
    The media cycle could move on from Trump's comments, just as it did from Hillary's incident at the 9/11 memorial, which now seems to be forgotten. However, the mass withdrawal of Republican bigwig support looks like the real game-changer.
    Does it - Trump is the 'anti-establishment' candidate in effect if not in name. The fact that the establishment are dropping him could be construed positively.
    It could bring out the non-voters for him, and maybe a few working-class Democrats. On the other hand some core Republicans who were planning to grit their teeth might now feel enabled to follow their leaders' lead by writing-in or voting Johnson/McMullin.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

weejonnie said:

ydoethur said:

619 said:

It seems inconceivable Trump can win without their day to day/operational support.
    Exactly, which is why Ron Paul won back to back presidential victories.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

weejonnie said:

ydoethur said:

619 said:

You are Jeremy Corbyn and I claim my motorbike tour of East Germany.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

Which bell end thought scheduling the Japanese Grand Prix and a Presidential debate within 24 hours of each other was a good idea? #FuckingTimeZones

I love the insult bell end......
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    Essexit said:

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

weejonnie said:

ydoethur said:

619 said:

It could bring out the non-voters for him, and maybe a few working-class Democrats. On the other hand some core Republicans who were planning to grit their teeth might now feel enabled to follow their leaders' lead by writing-in or voting Johnson/McMullin.
    they are not dropping him because of his principles. They are dropping him because he admitted to grabbing women's pussys without their permission
  • Options

The issue with core Republicans is (a) they hate HRC more than Trump (generally) and (b) if HRC wins, the Supreme Court will be lost to the Republicans for a generation. I think most will grit their teeth.

I agree with weejonnie - the GOP Establishment has been looking to get rid of Trump all throughout the campaign so their calls are likely to be viewed cynically.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

weejonnie said:

ydoethur said:

619 said:

Exactly, which is why Ron Paul won back to back presidential victories.
    Ron Paul was a loony tune with no mass appeal, no charisma and only 500k followers.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    AndyJS said:

I'm watching a cracking Macedonia vs Italy match. on Rai...2-2, 5 mins left..... Vai the Azzurri
  • Options
    619 said:

Essexit said:

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

weejonnie said:

ydoethur said:

619 said:

they are not dropping him because of his principles. They are dropping him because he admitted to grabbing women's pussys without their permission
    Well, that's a lie isn't it?
  • Options
    tyson said:

AndyJS said:

I'm watching a cracking Macedonia vs Italy match. on Rai...2-2, 5 mins left..... Vai the Azzurri
    Italy have scored to lead 3-2 I see.
  • Options
    Diane Abbott 'opposed the proscribing of Al-Qaeda and 20 other terrorist groups shortly before the September 11 terror attacks'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3829660/Diane-Abbott-opposed-proscribing-Al-Qaeda-20-terrorist-groups-shortly-September-11-terror-attacks.html
  • Options

619 said:

Essexit said:

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

weejonnie said:

ydoethur said:

619 said:

We have all heard the tape. ny point is, i didnt realise being sexist and rapey makes u anti-establishment
  • Options
    619 said:

619 said:

Essexit said:

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

weejonnie said:

ydoethur said:

619 said:

We have all heard the tape. ny point is, i didnt realise being sexist and rapey makes u anti-establishment
    If you've heard the tape, why are you lying about what it says?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

offside
  • Options

The issue with core Republicans is (a) they hate HRC more than Trump (generally) and (b) if HRC wins, the Supreme Court will be lost to the Republicans for a generation. I think most will grit their teeth.

I agree with weejonnie - the GOP Establishment has been looking to get rid of Trump all throughout the campaign so their calls are likely to be viewed cynically.

if that chimed with the RNC's private polling, they would be supporting him. The ppp say there private polls have him at 70% with republicans. Thats not enough
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    tyson said:

Which bell end thought scheduling the Japanese Grand Prix and a Presidential debate within 24 hours of each other was a good idea? #FuckingTimeZones

I love the insult bell end......
    It would have got him in trouble with this editor... http://order-order.com/2014/07/25/full-sunday-sport-emailwho-the-hell-puts-a-hyphen-in-bellend/
  • Options
    tyson said:

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

offside
    Is there a free streaming anywhere online?
  • Options
    tyson said:

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

offside
    You must be ahead of me by 2 mins. Yes- Italy have just scored to go up 3-2. What media stream are you using...
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

offside
    You must be ahead of me by 2 mins. Yes- Italy have just scored to go up 3-2. What media stream are you using...
    No I wasn't, it was the original attempt I saw, on Betfair Exchange.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

offside
    Is there a free streaming anywhere online?
    I'm watching it in Italy on Rai TV which is 2 mins behind your score feed..

Fantastic match.......

Am I allowed to say how you can get sport feeds live here?

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

weejonnie said:

ydoethur said:

619 said:

Social media is clearly a relevant factor, but game changer? Where's the evidence for that? Prime Minister Miliband won the social media battles didn't he?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited October 2016
    blockquotes disaster
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

offside
    OK- so you saw the offside goal like me...and then Italy scored in injury team. There was no time slip.

Very serendipitous that you called it 3-2 to Italy 2 minutes before they scored to go 3-2 up
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    kle4 said:

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

weejonnie said:

ydoethur said:

619 said:

Social media is clearly a relevant factor, but game changer? Where's the evidence for that? Prime Minister Miliband won the social media battles didn't he?
    If twitter was accurate Ed would have a 200 seat majority right now.......Not a game changer, yet.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

weejonnie said:

ydoethur said:

619 said:

The question is about getting out the votes that are there to be got out.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    edited October 2016

kle4 said:

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

weejonnie said:

ydoethur said:

619 said:

And social media is just the best at getting people to get out is it? Not yet it isn't. Your comments of it being a game changer, in the purported absence of ground operational support, suggests you think social media alone will be enough to win, or else its hardly a game changer, is it?
  • Options
    tyson said:

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

offside
    OK- so you saw the offside goal like me...and then Italy scored in injury team. There was no time slip.

Very serendipitous that you called it 3-2 to Italy 2 minutes before they scored to go 3-2 up
    Betfair put it up as a goal and then showed an offside a few seconds later after I'd posted on here.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

weejonnie said:

ydoethur said:

619 said:

And social media is just the best at getting people to get out is it? Not yet it isn't. Your comments of it being a game changer, in the purported absence of ground operational support, suggests you think social media alone will be enough to win, or else its hardly a game changer, is it?
    Then call it social media combined with mass media saturation. Nobody (caveats apply) will be unaware on the day that they have a vote to cast.

Trump has proven he can win despite weak on the ground organisation.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

weejonnie said:

ydoethur said:

619 said:

What the Brexit vote showed was that, if people are motivated enough, then they will get out to vote, even if they are typical non-voters. The problem with the US is more whether those non-voters actually can vote given the registration rules.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Y0kel said:

What if Trump was caught on tape using he N word?

Nigel Farage is two words.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

weejonnie said:

ydoethur said:

619 said:

Then call it social media combined with mass media saturation. Nobody (caveats apply) will be unaware on the day that they have a vote to cast.

Against a 12 way field that spent all it's opposition research on people other than him.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Y0kel said:

BBC gardener Monty Don named one of his golden retrievers "Nigel" :)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Y0kel said:

To his friends he is simply Niggggg..Nige.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

weejonnie said:

Essexit said:

weejonnie said:

ydoethur said:

619 said:

Against a 12 way field that spent all it's opposition research on people other than him.
    And when the field was whittled down and they concentrated all their fire on him, he still won.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

He won a primary campaign which is always disproportionately decided by high motivation voters who are more likely to vote anyway.

Face to face contact is the most likely thing to make someone vote, and time and again it's been proven that it does increase turnout at elections.

Plus Clinton's ground operation will have been building up a database of supporters to target and ensure they're turning out the right people rather than blanket coverage. Trump hasn't been doing that to nearly the same scale.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    rcs1000 said:

Y0kel said:

I remember reading a story about a guy who had Tourette's, and every time he saw a black man he couldn't stop himself saying N*****.

So he was retrained to say Nigel instead, so he didn't keep getting beat up.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Y0kel said:

I remember reading a story about a guy who had Tourette's, and every time he saw a black man he couldn't stop himself saying N*****.

So he was retrained to say Nigel instead, so he didn't keep getting beat up.

Maybe that is what Trump has, but never been properly diagnosed...
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Plus Clinton's ground operation will have been building up a database of supporters to target and ensure they're turning out the right people rather than blanket coverage. Trump hasn't been doing that to nearly the same scale.

I'm reminded of Willie Whitelaw's quip about Harold Wilson 'going around the country stirring up apathy'.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

You can bet that thousands of Democrat campaigners are frantically searching through the archives trying to find evidence of precisely that.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    AndyJS said:

Y0kel said:

You can bet that thousands of Democrat campaigners are frantically searching through the archives trying to find evidence of precisely that.
    If he has, Team Clinton will already have it. All of this is being carefully coordinated. I expect a new video outrage Monday and some sort of setup* in the debate.

* by setup I don't mean the debate being rigged, more like last time Clinton blurted out beauty queen, beauty queen, miss piggy...It was clear that was supposed to have been said in a slightly like crowbarred in way, and they were ready to go with the follow up.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    nunu said:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=125hB9cQRtI

Tweets are fine.. but are we really start going to copy/paste campaign ads on here?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Y0kel said:

If he has, Team Clinton will already have it. All of this is being carefully coordinated. I expect a new video outrage Monday and some sort of setup in the debate.
    I don't think he has, but that won't stop them searching for it.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

He won a primary campaign which is always disproportionately decided by high motivation voters who are more likely to vote anyway.

Face to face contact is the most likely thing to make someone vote, and time and again it's been proven that it does increase turnout at elections.

The problem, though, is that many Democrat supporters are unenthusiastic about Clinton: you may know who they are but you cannot force them to get out. I posted a survey about College students on another thread that showed, while they back Hillary 48-14 over Trump, the percentage who said they would NOT volunteer for her is 70%, a rise of 7%.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Y0kel said:

To his friends he is simply Niggggg..Nige.
    "Training Day" mit Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke has Denzel calling Ethan "my N*****!"

:lol:
  • Options

corporeal said:

I'm reminded of Willie Whitelaw's quip about Harold Wilson 'going around the country stirring up apathy'.
    There's an element of stirring up, but the main focus is identification and then turning them out.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Now stories suggest Trump's wife chose not appear on a supposed joint TV appearance with him after the tape release on Friday.

Its equally possible the campaign considered it better for her not to as she'd be under pressure but thats not how its getting reported.

Meanwhile the Russians have been caught on altering source material.

• Options
    corporeal said:

corporeal said:

There's an element of stirring up, but the main focus is identification and then turning them out.
    Nice thread! On topic - the ship may be sinking, but the Trump band plays on regardless!
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Quite a few of the Guccifer docs showed alterations under "Track Changes" I believe. Which is why you need to look at all these dumps with a critical eye.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Y0kel said:

Quite a few of the Guccifer docs showed alterations under "Track Changes" I believe. Which is why you need to look at all these dumps with a critical eye.
    Couldn't they have come up with some more scandalous stuff?
  • Options

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

Nice thread! On topic - the ship may be sinking, but the Trump band plays on regardless!
    I'm cringing over using the wrong "it's" in the first sentence (my only excuse is that I wrote it late at night while the brown stuff was hitting the air relocation device and it's all really TSE's fault).
  • Options
    corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

I'm cringing over using the wrong "it's" in the first sentence (my only excuse is that I wrote it late at night while the brown stuff was hitting the air relocation device and it's all really TSE's fault).
    I missed it on first read :)
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Y0kel said:

If he has, Team Clinton will already have it. All of this is being carefully coordinated. I expect a new video outrage Monday and some sort of setup* in the debate.

* by setup I don't mean the debate being rigged, more like last time Clinton blurted out beauty queen, beauty queen, miss piggy...It was clear that was supposed to have been said in a slightly like crowbarred in way, and they were ready to go with the follow up.
    She gave him the rope and he hanged himself.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

Fixed it.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    nunu said:

AndyJS said:

Y0kel said:

She gave him the rope and he hanged himself.
    Oh Trump jumped into the elephant trap no doubt about that. For somebody so smart, he knows a lot of words you know, the obvious response would have been to turn it around on to her comments about basket of deplorables and basement dwellers.
  • Options

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

Fixed it.
    You're too generous, you should have fixed it to "it is" :D
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Alistair said:

Pop quiz hot shots, does anyone know the link between Joss Whedon and Seumas Milne?

Place of education? Only thing that could possibly link them.
    Ah yes, Joss Whedon spent a year at one of our public schools when his mother was an exchange teacher there.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    rcs1000 said:

Y0kel said:

Surely, now they know that people are looking for that, they will just create 'clean' documents showing no changes. So, even if they look okay, they are likely to not be.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Pop quiz hot shots, does anyone know the link between Joss Whedon and Seumas Milne?

Place of education? Only thing that could possibly link them.
    Ah yes, Joss Whedon spent a year at one of our public schools when his mother was an exchange teacher there.
    Three years IIRC
  • Options
    Anyone else thinking tonights "debate" is going to be like when the BBC question time audience in Leeds absolutley savaged Ed at the last GE? They will be tough on Hillary but Trump will get a pasting.
  • Options

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

Fixed it.
    I'd like to say I never blamed my good friend TSE for the error, and if you call Sunil he'll tell you that's true.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    nunu said:

Anyone else thinking tonights "debate" is going to be like when the BBC question time audience in Leeds absolutley savaged Ed at the last GE? They will be tough on Hillary but Trump will get a pasting.

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/07/Panda-popcorn-gif.gif

I am hoping Trump goes total Alex Jones.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    nunu said:

No, not really.
  • Options

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

Fixed it.
    While you're at out can you do something about the double negative in the third paragraph. Corporeal's article is readable and punchy; apostrophes in the wrong places I can take, but double negatives really confuse me.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Y0kel said:

The best they'll probably be able to do is find some archive footage of Trump greeting a black person in a slightly unenthusiastic way from about 30 years ago.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,323
    edited October 2016
    tyson said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

Fixed it.
    While you're at out can you do something about the double negative in the third paragraph. Corporeal's article is readable and punchy; apostrophes in the wrong places I can take, but double negatives really confuse me.
    It is not a double negative. Not only NOT INVESTING in Trump.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Y0kel said:

The best they'll probably be able to do is find some archive footage of Trump greeting a black person in a slightly unenthusiastic way from about 30 years ago.
    Or comments off camera during his TV show filming.
  • Options
    Good article by Corporeal. It's hard to disagree with his penultimate paragraph. Or indeed his last one.

From a betting point of view, this is of course an important point. Rats were famously good at sensing when the ship was about to sink...
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/09/britain-to-push-post-brexit-uk-immigration-controls-back-to-irish-border

Britain is seeking to shift the frontline of immigration controls to Ireland’s ports and airports to avoid having to introduce a “hard border” between north and south after the UK leaves the European Union, the Guardian has learned.

So much for "taking control of our borders"
  • Options
    nunu said:

I read on here that the moderator will be asking the questions
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Apparently the Apprentice stuff is even more complicated. Burnett (who is a Trump supporter) has all the outtakes, but doesn't own the rights. MGM bought the rights to the very old shows.

Head of a Clinton Super PAC has said they will pay for any legal fees that come from a leak.
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/09/britain-to-push-post-brexit-uk-immigration-controls-back-to-irish-border

Britain is seeking to shift the frontline of immigration controls to Ireland’s ports and airports to avoid having to introduce a “hard border” between north and south after the UK leaves the European Union, the Guardian has learned.

Ireland and the UK already had a Common Travel Area long before they joined the EU in 1973.
  • Options

Ireland and the UK already had a Common Travel Area long before they joined the EU in 1973.
    This isn't about the CTA. The UK is outsourcing its border with the rest of the world to Ireland. -Any EU citizen will be able to go to Ireland and then walk over into NI
  • Options
    RobD said:

nunu said:

Not much of a town hall....
  • Options

Going above and beyond. We are now taking over other people's borders too.
  • Options
    RobD said:

What did I say about May embracing Putinism? ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2016

RobD said:

nunu said:

From what I've read there are two halves. In the first half the moderators ask questions. In the 2nd half its the audience but the moderators know the questions in advance and get to pick who asks.
  • Options

RobD said:

nunu said:

From what I've read there are two halves. In the first half the moderators ask questions. In the 2nd half its the audience but the moderators know the questions in advance and get to pick who asks.
    Are the audience allowed to react this time? Or only Clinton supporters like last time?
  • Options

RobD said:

We weren't embracing it when we put the border in Calais...
  • Options

Indeed, it precedes both countries entry into the EU by 50 years.

However, maintaining the Common Travel Area does mean accepting that there will be no visa requirement for EU/EEA nationals. (This doesn't mean people have the right to reside; Switzerland and Liechtenstein are in Schengen, which means anyone inside the zone can get there without even a passport, but it does not mean you can stay there.)

The Thatcher government, at the height of the Troubles, considered suspending the CTA. But after much agonizing, it was decided that the economic damage to Northern Ireland would be severe, and that - as it was a long and winding border, with few few natural boundaries, and plenty of opportunities to tunnel underneath - it would do little to prevent IRA terrorists from crossing back and forth at will.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2016
    Betfair midprices:

Clinton 1.245
    Trump 5.85
    Pence 80
    Ryan 170

See you all later! :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Not really the same thing. This would be putting an entire sovereign country behind the U.K. border.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Turkey blocking internet services like Dropbox, after a hacker released goverent emails.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Not really the same thing. This would be putting an entire sovereign country behind the U.K. border.
    I suppose you could think of it as the CTA border.
  • Options

This isn't about the CTA. The UK is outsourcing its border with the rest of the world to Ireland. -Any EU citizen will be able to go to Ireland and then walk over into NI
    To be fair, even before 1973, the UK and Ireland has slightly different entry policies, and that was possible. US citizens, for example, required a visa to visit the UK. But they did not require one for Ireland. In theory, a US citizen could cross into Britain via Ireland.

The issue has always been one of economics: the Northern Irish and Republic of Ireland economies around the border are extremely tightly integrated. There will be people that cross the border a dozen times a day in their ordinary business. Policing the border, checking passports, etc., would be (a) expensive, (b) almost certainly not prevent any determined evildoer, and (c) possibly stir up long-dormant Republican sentiment in the area. (Not being able to cross the border for a pint with your cousin because the crossing is now closed for the evening.)
  • Options

Ireland, like the UK, is outside Schengen.
  • Options

I guess the point is that maintaining the CTA means that, in practice, we cannot impose visa restrictions on EU citizens from (for example) Romania. Albeit the route to the UK would be a lot more circuitous than just getting the Megabus from the UK.
  • Options

But Ireland will continue to have free movement with the EU, so any EU or EEA citizen will be able to enter Ireland,and then the UK via NI.
  • Options
    Interestingly, between 1939 and 1952, there were no immigration controls between the Republic and Northern Ireland, but there were between Great Britain and both Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Perhaps this is the solution*.

* Albeit one that would be deeply unpopular with Unionists.
  • Options

But Ireland will continue to have free movement with the EU, so any EU or EEA citizen will be able to enter Ireland,and then the UK via NI.
    From a practical perspective, are we likely to require visas for EU/EEA citizens?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    rcs1000 said:

From a practical perspective, are we likely to require visas for EU/EEA citizens?
    For tourism and business visits, probably not. For residence and working, yes if it's a hard Brexit.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

For tourism and business visits, probably not. For residence and working, yes if it's a hard Brexit.
    Residence is just a tax status. If you don't have visas for tourism/business then you can't have them for residence either.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Interestingly, between 1939 and 1952, there were no immigration controls between the Republic and Northern Ireland, but there were between Great Britain and both Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Unionists will be perfectly pragmatic.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

In which case, surely all we require is that - if you want residence or to work - then you go to an immigration centre within 7 days of arriving in the UK.

People who want to enter illegally and work illegally can come here on a tourism visa and stay. Why bother going via Ireland and making your life much more complicated?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Residence is just a tax status. If you don't have visas for tourism/business then you can't have them for residence either.
    I don't think that's true. Switzerland and Norway are both in Schengen, but require you to register with the police if you plan on staying more than three months. If you wish to rent a property, for example, you'll need your registration number from your police visit. It wouldn't be complicated to modify that system for the UK.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

rcs1000 said:

About requiring passport controls between Northern Ireland and Great Britain? I think they'd regard it as the first stage in the deliberate reunification of Ireland by the British Government.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Y0kel said:

rcs1000 said:

About requiring passport controls between Northern Ireland and Great Britain? I think they'd regard it as the first stage in the deliberate reunification of Ireland by the British Government.
    It would indeed be a courageous decision.
This discussion has been closed.