Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jeremy Corbyn has appointed Sir Keir Starmer as Shadow Brexit

124»

Comments

• Options
    viewcode said:

Jesus, what happened then! Sterling just fell through the floor. Real, or an artefact of some kind?

Are you being facetious? Since Theresa Dumbfuck Milliband May decided that the most pressing thing facing the UK was grammar schools, spending money without raising it and - oh, hard Brexiting - on Sunday, the pound has dropped continuously. I assume everybody has now read Hammond's response and has worked out that the UK is run by cretins and that the pound has no bottom.

Pause

Do you think I'm swearing enough? It's just I'm not sure I'm giving the situation enough weight.
    Eh? This was 6 cents in 2 minutes, followed by a 4 cent bounce. Almost certainly some sort of computer/trader artefact. Gave me goosebumps though.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    edited October 2016
    What the hell just happened there, apart from my mortgage (earned in dolllars) getting cheaper?

Edit: Wild guess, some big bank or trader has started running trades through twice by mistake. Big spike just after midnight followed by a massive drop. XE 10 minute resolution no good for this, anyone here got a Reuters subscription..?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Still 2 cents down....
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,900
    edited October 2016
    Speedy said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Jesus, what happened then! Sterling just fell through the floor. Real, or an artefact of some kind?

My god. You're not wrong. It just dropped 3 cents in a matter of half an hour!
    Any chance it's to do with Philip Hammond's speeches to finance firms/wall street today - I haven't followed it, but maybe it wasn't too reassuring?!
    It would be the first time Philip Hammond was ever EXCITiNG

To my mind, we need to get used to this. The British economy is entering a period of extreme turbulence. Some of it will be exhilarating, some of it will be nightmarish. We are exiting the EU. Buckle up.
    It could be insurance companies preparing for Hurricane Matthew ahead of it's impact on Friday, moving large amounts of capital to the USA.

It has happened in the past.
    Good idea, but it seems to be GBP suffering rather than USD gaining. GBP shows a similar drop/rebound against other currencies.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,913

SeanT said:

Any chance it's to do with Philip Hammond's speeches to finance firms/wall street today - I haven't followed it, but maybe it wasn't too reassuring?!
    I think it went something along the lines of

"Anglosphere CANZUK English exceptionalism grammar schools liberal elite mummy told me I was special no need to panic"

They drew the obvious conclusion

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Elysse Morgan‏ @ElysseMorgan
    Reuters on $GBP #flashcrash: "No news - move appears flow driven - potential fat finger"
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2016
    If that was a fat finger, then whoever it was has probably just gone bankrupt.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Speedy said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

It would be the first time Philip Hammond was ever EXCITiNG

To my mind, we need to get used to this. The British economy is entering a period of extreme turbulence. Some of it will be exhilarating, some of it will be nightmarish. We are exiting the EU. Buckle up.
    It could be insurance companies preparing for Hurricane Matthew ahead of it's impact on Friday, moving large amounts of capital to the USA.

It has happened in the past.
    Good idea, but it seems to be GBP suffering rather than USD gaining. GBP shows a similar drop/rebound against other currencies.
    There was a similar but much smaller drop of the Euro against the Dollar.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

viewcode said:

Are you being facetious? Since Theresa Dumbfuck Milliband May decided that the most pressing thing facing the UK was grammar schools, spending money without raising it and - oh, hard Brexiting - on Sunday, the pound has dropped continuously. I assume everybody has now read Hammond's response and has worked out that the UK is run by cretins and that the pound has no bottom.

Pause

Do you think I'm swearing enough? It's just I'm not sure I'm giving the situation enough weight.
    Eh? This was 6 cents in 2 minutes, followed by a 4 cent bounce. Almost certainly some sort of computer/trader artefact. Gave me goosebumps though.
    Indeed it looks very likely that it is a Fat Finger, the question is which Firm has lost tons of money on that trade.

Looks like someone wanted to sell pounds at 1.26 but forgot to add the 6 at the end.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Pause

With a bit of luck the £ will fall so far so fast we'll get a nice soft Brexit. Suits me fine.
    I know a lot of your large salary is in dollars
    But all of my salary and assets are in GBP.
    What suits you does not suit me.
  • Options
    Pong said:

If that was a fat finger, then whoever it was has probably just gone bankrupt.

Life will not be good for someone tomorrow. I set an alert at 1.25 after tracking the pound down in the last couple of days. Wasn't expecting the alarm just after midnight UK time!
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    edited October 2016
    The £ is just like so many responses to Brexit my own included. Overreaction to initial under reaction. Disbelief one of the world's oldest and most advanced democracies could do something so stupid and self harming leads to denial. Then over reaction as compensation to the initial denial. Things will settle when the equilibrium point of " They aren't dead they've just cut several of their own figures off for no obvious reason " is reached. Then we'll continue on as someone with less fingers. Maimed but in most ways as functional as before.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Pause

With a bit of luck the £ will fall so far so fast we'll get a nice soft Brexit. Suits me fine.
    Why do you think GBP falling makes Brexit easier? All the imports are now more expensive, inflation will spike, and loans to the United Kingdom will require greater interest payments to reflect the lesser value of a devalued currency.

• Options
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

"Anglosphere CANZUK English exceptionalism grammar schools liberal elite mummy told me I was special no need to panic"

Lord Haw Haw writes from Lombard Street
    The only statement tonight that coincided with the flash crash has been President Hollande threatening Britain with severe consequences if it leaves the EU.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

Lord Haw Haw writes from Lombard Street
    Thank you Oscar
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    It happened just after Japanese markets opened. Sterling is still over 1.5% down since midnight so if fat finger, not fully corrected yet.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Pause

Take a staycation
    You first.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

It happened just after Japanese markets opened. Sterling is still over 1.5% down since midnight so if fat finger, not fully corrected yet.

Trading volumes still way up though.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Pause

Take a staycation
    I would like to visit Portmeirion, but the summer is a long way from now.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    edited October 2016
    SeanT said:

The £ is just like s many responses to Brexit my own included. Overreaction to initial under reaction. Disbelief one of the world's oldest and most advanced democracies could do something so stupid and self harming leads to denial. Then over reaction as compensation to the initial denial. Things will settle when the equilibrium point of " They aren't dead they've just cut several of their own figures off for no obvious reason " is reached. Then we'll continue on as someone with less fingers. Maimed but in most ways as functional as before.

No, that's stupid. It presumes there are no upsides to Brexit, it's just like "cutting off fingers". Yeah, right. Dimwit.

Brexit is so big and sui generis there are clearly huge downsides and upsides which no one could or can or will possibly predict. It is outwith human comprehension. Like the weather in three years' time.

The best we can say is that self governing free democracies tend to do better than big multilingual bureaucracies, but let's see

As I have also said the best comparison is with childbirth. At the moment Britain has morning sickness and piles and maybe thyroid issues, and her tits are all over the shop, and all her friends are thinking Ewww, that looks awful - but in five years when we have a bonny boy and girl (god willing) and they are all sterile, who knows.
    Well that's just the " Bird in the hand may be replaced by two in the bush " theory coupled with a bit of mild rudeness thrown in. But our economic integration into the world's largest, freest and deepest free trade area is decades in the making. The harm will be real. Maybe bionic prosthetic figures will arrive in due course but the physical and psychological damage is real.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

...It presumes there are no upsides to Brexit...

The upsides (such as there are) are emotional, as LEAVErs lose themselves in imagined futures. People do not give money to those who indulge in fantasy at the expense of commercial reality.

• Options
    Speedy said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Pause

Take a staycation
    I'm getting closer to Cornwall by rail. Last month I did Salisbury to Exeter via Yeovil, and just this Monday I did Westbury-Taunton-Exeter-Newton Abbot
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,106
    Speedy said:

viewcode said:

Pause

Indeed it looks very likely that it is a Fat Finger, the question is which Firm has lost tons of money on that trade.

Looks like someone wanted to sell pounds at 1.26 but forgot to add the 6 at the end.
    The London wail.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Jobabob said:

Ave It

Tyson

SeanT

Just like the old days.

The site always draws you back. Glad to see my old sparring partner JohnO up to his no good tricks too.

And for JohnO's benefit......Trotsky is still sound and well....... I know you care....

http://www.cpgb-ml.org/index.php?secName=leaflets&subName=display&leafletId=89 :lol:
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    tesr
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Speedy said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Pause

Take a staycation
    I'm getting closer to Cornwall by rail. Last month I did Salisbury to Exeter via Yeovil, and just this Monday I did Westbury-Taunton-Exeter-Newton Abbot
    Britain has no shortage of nice places when it's warm and sunny, but you have to wait until it's warm and sunny.

Gibraltar maybe ?
    If only the Bahamas was still British.

There are still some nice overseas territories left for a vacation when the weather is dreary in Britain:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Overseas_Territories
  • Options
    RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Yep, plenty of automated trading reacting to the spike. Lots of senior traders woken up no doubt, trying to decide what's actually happening and how to deal with it. If it's a genuine slip of the finger the market will probably wake up in London to no change on last night's close. Someone's lost millions though.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

The £ is just like s many responses to Brexit my own included. Overreaction to initial under reaction. Disbelief one of the world's oldest and most advanced democracies could do something so stupid and self harming leads to denial. Then over reaction as compensation to the initial denial. Things will settle when the equilibrium point of " They aren't dead they've just cut several of their own figures off for no obvious reason " is reached. Then we'll continue on as someone with less fingers. Maimed but in most ways as functional as before.

No, that's stupid. It presumes there are no upsides to Brexit, it's just like "cutting off fingers". Yeah, right. Dimwit.

Brexit is so big and sui generis there are clearly huge downsides and upsides which no one could or can or will possibly predict. It is outwith human comprehension. Like the weather in three years' time.

The best we can say is that self governing free democracies tend to do better than big multilingual bureaucracies, but let's see

As I have also said the best comparison is with childbirth. At the moment Britain has morning sickness and piles and maybe thyroid issues, and her tits are all over the shop, and all her friends are thinking Ewww, that looks awful - but in five years when we have a bonny boy and girl (god willing) and they are all sterile, who knows.
    Well that's just the " Bird in the hand may be replaced by two in the bush " theory coupled with a bid of mild rudeness. But our economic integration into the world's largest, freest and deepest free trade area is decades in the making. The harm will be real. Maybe bionic prosthetic figures will arrive in due course but the physical and psychological damage is real.
    FFS we were sunk in the world's largest trade bloc, which also happens to be the world's most stagnant economic zone, with hideous demographic issues, an unresolved timebomb of a common currency, a gruesome terror/migration problem, a southern periphery mired in Depression, and that's ignoring the entire, growing nightmare of non-democratic EU politics, to which we were forcibly married, until June of this year

Will Brexit hurt? Yes, of course. But we're out. We escaped. Bruised and battered, but free. We will make our own way. They will be stuck in their weird Federalist project. Good luck to them.
    Well said, Sir.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Yep, plenty of automated trading reacting to the spike. Lots of senior traders woken up no doubt, trying to decide what's actually happening and how to deal with it. If it's a genuine slip of the finger the market will probably wake up in London to no change on last night's close. Someone's lost millions though.
    Currently somebodies bollocks are in a vice...
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Pause

Take a staycation
    Britain has no shortage of nice places when it's warm and sunny, but you have to wait until it's warm and sunny.

Gibraltar maybe ?
    They have a British Monarch :)
  • Options
    john_zims said:

tesr

Testing your spell checker? :)
  • Options
    john_zims said:

tesr

test - failed :(
  • Options
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

The upsides (such as there are) are emotional, as LEAVErs lose themselves in imagined futures. People do not give money to those who indulge in fantasy at the expense of commercial reality.

You have no idea what Brexit will mean, as Brexit will change the reality in which we function.
    You probably didn't mean to, but I got a distinct Seth Brundle vibe there

Damn, I wish I hadn't just thought of that...
  • Options
    viewcode said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

You have no idea what Brexit will mean, as Brexit will change the reality in which we function.
    You probably didn't mean to, but I got a distinct Seth Brundle vibe there

Damn, I wish I hadn't just thought of that...
    http://i.stack.imgur.com/jiFfM.jpg
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Pause

Take a staycation

Gibraltar maybe ?

There are still some nice overseas territories left for a vacation when the weather is dreary in Britain:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_Realm
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Pause

Take a staycation

Gibraltar maybe ?

Why do these lands have to be British???

Good god, man, we are the lucky heirs to the greatest inheritance of all: the English Language. We can go almost anywhere in the world (holding a UK passport, which means the minimum of hassle) and we can be pretty sure the hotel receptionist will speak OUR language. From Australia to Thailand, from Chile to the Maldives. We're unbelievably lucky. The world really is our travel-oyster.
    I'm talking about your staycation.

Going on Holiday while not leaving the country.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

SeanT said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Pause

Take a staycation

Gibraltar maybe ?

Good god, man, we are the lucky heirs to the greatest inheritance of all: the English Language. We can go almost anywhere in the world (holding a UK passport, which means the minimum of hassle) and we can be pretty sure the hotel receptionist will speak OUR language. From Australia to Thailand, from Chile to the Maldives. We're unbelievably lucky. The world really is our travel-oyster.

I was going to suggest Bermuda.. but it might be a tad windy there at the moment!
  • Options
    On topic: TSE = TINO!

• Options
    SeanT said:

Speedy said:

SeanT said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Pause

Take a staycation

Gibraltar maybe ?

If you want a cheap holiday in a land with a currency considerably more fucked than ours, go to South Africa

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=ZAR&view=10Y

Great seafood, great wine, great landscapes - and they speak English
    I was in Kiev a few weeks ago (the wife's from near there), beer's now $1 a pint and everyone in the city there speaks English too - they're all desperate to emigrate to somewhere not screwed by Putin.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    SeanT said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Pause

Take a staycation

Gibraltar maybe ?

Do they speak English in South America? I was thinking of going there sometime and my Spanish is crap.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2016
    Seems like Trump isn't the only one wanting to build a border wall....

Norway is erecting a controversial steel fence along its border post with Russia following a surge in migrant arrivals last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/37572671
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Pause

Take a staycation

Gibraltar maybe ?

Do they speak English in South America? I was thinking of going there sometime and my Spanish is crap.
    In Chile you can't go too wrong in Santiago.. but outside you'll find a lot don't speak English.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Pause

Take a staycation

Gibraltar maybe ?

In Chile you can't go too wrong in Santiago.. but outside you'll find a lot don't speak English.
    Right, thanks.
  • Options
    English is spoken as a majority language in:

UK
    Ireland
    USA
    Canada
    Australia
    New Zealand
  • Options
    edited October 2016

UK
    Ireland
    USA
    Canada
    Australia
    New Zealand

And as the predominant business language in a large number of other places such as Dubai, Singapore and Hong Kong, all financial centres in their own regions. Being a native English speaker is a massive advantage in those markets.
    In the Middle East, the only way the local Arabs can communicate with the cheap Filipinos and Indians in the service industries is in English.
  • Options

UK
    Ireland
    USA
    Canada
    Australia
    New Zealand

What about most of the countries in the Caribbean?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

UK
    Ireland
    USA
    Canada
    Australia
    New Zealand

Well, officially English in a lot of them, but majority language in many cases is the local creole

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_creole_languages#English-based_creole_languages
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

UK
    Ireland
    USA
    Canada
    Australia
    New Zealand

And as the predominant business language in a large number of other places such as Dubai, Singapore and Hong Kong, all financial centres in their own regions. Being a native English speaker is a massive advantage in those markets.
    In the Middle East, the only way the local Arabs can communicate with the cheap Filipinos and Indians in the service industries is in English.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language#/media/File:Anglospeak.svg
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Well that's just the " Bird in the hand may be replaced by two in the bush " theory coupled with a bid of mild rudeness. But our economic integration into the world's largest, freest and deepest free trade area is decades in the making. The harm will be real. Maybe bionic prosthetic figures will arrive in due course but the physical and psychological damage is real.
    FFS we were sunk in the world's largest trade bloc, which also happens to be the world's most stagnant economic zone, with hideous demographic issues, an unresolved timebomb of a common currency, a gruesome terror/migration problem, a southern periphery mired in Depression, and that's ignoring the entire, growing nightmare of non-democratic EU politics, to which we were forcibly married, until June of this year

Will Brexit hurt? Yes, of course. But we're out. We escaped. Bruised and battered, but free. We will make our own way. They will be stuck in their weird Federalist project. Good luck to them.
    I hope you're wrong about the fate of the EU - even post Brexit it will continue to be our largest trading partner - but fear you are right - there was something about it that in the end just wasn't 'British' .....and I suspect it will end in tears

I think this captures a lot:

...But we are the people of England; and we have not spoken yet.
    Smile at us, pay us, pass us. But do not quite forget.

https://centurean2.wordpress.com/2009/05/16/we-are-the-people-of-england-that-never-have-spoken-yet/

They did forget, and the people of Britain (or to be more accurate, England) did speak....
  • Options

AndyJS said:

UK
    Ireland
    USA
    Canada
    Australia
    New Zealand

Well, officially English in a lot of them, but majority language in many cases is the local creole

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_creole_languages#English-based_creole_languages
    I've read that it's also often the most reliable way for people in different parts of India to communicate with each other.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I hope you're wrong about the fate of the EU - even post Brexit it will continue to be our largest trading partner - but fear you are right - there was something about it that in the end just wasn't 'British' .....and I suspect it will end in tears

I think this captures a lot:

...But we are the people of England; and we have not spoken yet.
    Smile at us, pay us, pass us. But do not quite forget.

https://centurean2.wordpress.com/2009/05/16/we-are-the-people-of-england-that-never-have-spoken-yet/

They did forget, and the people of Britain (or to be more accurate, England) did speak....
    Don't forget Wales!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

UK
    Ireland
    USA
    Canada
    Australia
    New Zealand

I've read that it's also often the most reliable way for people in different parts of India to communicate with each other.
    Attempts at imposing Hindi as the 'national language' meet stiff opposition in non-Hindustan.....years ago I saw graffiti in South India ' English ever Hindi Never!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

UK
    Ireland
    USA
    Canada
    Australia
    New Zealand

That's very true, but only a small percentage of Indians would consider English their mother tongue.
  • Options

New Thread

• Options

New Thread

Are you teasing us? I don't see it :p
  • Options
    RobD said:

New Thread

Are you teasing us? I don't see it :p
    There it is....
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited October 2016
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    I think the person who might be worried is Starmer himself. Intellectually very sharp, but this might be the moment when people start to look at his actions in his previous office.
This discussion has been closed.