Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Is peace breaking out in the Labour party? Don Brind hopes he’

Comments

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Miss JGP, McBride's appointment might be seen by some as absolutely bloody brilliant, but that is definitely not my view either.

McBride has a job in Corbyn's team?

What happened to the new politics?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    Abbott has to be a surprising choice when the great shadow-leader had so many talented people to call upon. Noone has mentioned Rebecca Long-Bailey's incredible contribution recently.

• Options

Miss JGP, McBride's appointment might be seen by some as absolutely bloody brilliant, but that is definitely not my view either.

Mr. Dancer, this business of McBride being given a post within the Labour Party is a joke, isn't it?
    Pure filth.
  • Options

@JBickertonUK: If Diane Abbott as shadow home sec is confirmed May could waterboard a puppy live on Sky News and still win in 2020 #LabourReshuffle

Well, quite Mr. Eagles. That is why I am struggling to to see Labour appoint that deranged, racist and hypocritical old bat as their Home Affairs person.
    I don't know

She fits right in with the rest of the party.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    matt said:

Sarah Champion is an excellent promotion (to women and equalities) - one of the most talented of the new intake.

The make of Corbyn's left wing London centric elite plays entirely into Theresa May's description yesterday and the idea of Abbott as shadow home secretary is just perverse. Labour is lost as the Country moves to the new consensus and accepts Brexit.
    Unlike you, I remain unconvinced that London automatically equals elite.
    May's willingness to embrace class war and pit one region of the country against another for short term advantage is just one of the signs of her weak leadership.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

Robert Moore on Trump on ITV now. Former manufacturing workers in Ohio say he is the man they have been waiting for

Retired gay steel workers for Trump ..

Who knew ?!?!?
    Indeed, seriously though it is an interesting programme, interviewing both supporters and opponents
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,998
    Mr. Llama, if it is, it's a jest by Mr. Eagles.

McBride is to political morality what the Empress Theodora was to sexual purity.

http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/eastern-empresses.html
  • Options

Hearing Damian McBride is going to replace Seamus Milne

Kinder gentler politics....
    Damian is a friend of PB.
    But he is or at least was a poisonous individual.

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    dr_spyn said:
    The heading of this thread now embodies an all-time great Question To Which The Answer Is No.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    HYUFD said:

Robert Moore on Trump on ITV now. Former manufacturing workers in Ohio say he is the man they have been waiting for

The average voter in an american general election is a 50 year old woman who is a bank clerk or a teacher living in the suburbs, and very very judgmental.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Will we get to see Abbot campaigning in the North East?

'And so I say to all you racist scum, vote labour'
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    New Hampshire Boston Globe
    Clinton 44 Trump 42 Johnson 5 Stein 1
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/2016/Sufolk_FINAL_NH_Marginals.pdf

Emerson

Florida Trump 45 Clinton 44 Johnson 4 Stein 3

Nevada Clinton 43 Trump 43 Johnson 9

Arizona Clinton 44 Trump 42 Johnson 9 Stein 1
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/2016/Emerson_final_Press_Release_and_Toplines_Fl-Nv-RI-AZ_10.5_.pdf

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,331
    Ishmael_X said:

dr_spyn said:
    The heading of this thread now embodies an all-time great Question To Which The Answer Is No.
    The curse of Brind strikes again?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PolhomeEditor: Keir Starmer will be the new Shadow Brexit Secretary.

Another London MP...
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    dr_spyn said:
    I've spoken to one MP inside Jeremy Corbyn's team of whips tonight - the people who ensure discipline (remember that?) in the Labour Party.

Ouch.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited October 2016
    taffys said:

Will we get to see Abbot campaigning in the North East?

'And so I say to all you racist scum, vote labour'

Perhaps she can borrow from Hillary:

"And so you may ask, why is Labour not 50 points ahead? Vote for Labour, you deplorable scum!"
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,331
    Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: Keir Starmer will be the new Shadow Brexit Secretary.

Another London MP...

Holborn also contiguous with Islington
  • Options
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

Retired gay steel workers for Trump ..

Who knew ?!?!?
    That is probably Trump's core demographic at the moment, gay men who like strong men who talk dirty.
    Lesbians probably hate that by the way.
  • Options

Mr. Llama, if it is, it's a jest by Mr. Eagles.

McBride is to political morality what the Empress Theodora was to sexual purity.

http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/eastern-empresses.html

McBride is a talent. Hopefully Corbyn has found his Luca Brasi.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Ishmael_X said:

dr_spyn said:
    It's not even the best of the day...

https://twitter.com/heatstreet/status/784089240720150528
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

The average voter in an american general election is a 50 year old woman who is a bank clerk or a teacher living in the suburbs, and very very judgmental.

There were a number of suburban voters, male and female, in the programme voting for Trump too
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    I've spoken to one MP inside Jeremy Corbyn's team of whips tonight - the people who ensure discipline (remember that?) in the Labour Party.

Ouch.
    The Whips Office worked hard against Corbyn, one of the reasons for Corbyn to bring them under control by replacing them of course.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902

Ishmael_X said:

dr_spyn said:

The US 42nd butterfly battalion have been flapping their wings 24/7.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''There were a number of suburban voters, male and female, in the programme voting for Trump too.''

Don;t bother mate, they aren't listening.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    edited October 2016
    Jonathan said:

https://www.you tube.com/watch?v=KEWkHEw3MLM&t=18

LOL they were good on EdM also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCh6OHQJeco
  • Options
    @BethRigby: .@Keir_Starmer also one of the North London Labour massive, while @johnmcdonnellMP also a London MP. So that's six major shad cab jobs....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,948

On Burnham aka FlipFlopAndy

((Dan Hodges)))✔ @DPJHodges
    Whatever people think of Diane Abbott, she's displayed greater consistency over 30 years than the previous incumbent managed over 30 days.

Funny, although consistently dim seeming is not much to crow about of course (I say 'seeming', because it boggles the mind she could be as poor as her media performances - arch, patronizing and chronically missing the point by a country mile - could truly represent her worth, given her long career as an MP)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Jonathan said:

Ishmael_X said:

dr_spyn said:

The answer to this is so obviously yes that I am surprised they feel a need to ask.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

There were a number of suburban voters, male and female, in the programme voting for Trump too
    I'm sure they could find A number of those, like Trump has found A number of african americans to vote for him, about 5 or 6.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

O/T

When did clowns change from being fun to being scary?

My entire life, since I have only ever seen them portrayed as creepy and scary in media.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Jonathan said:

Ishmael_X said:

dr_spyn said:

God's 42nd butterfly battalion probably.

If Trump doesn't get the divine message, well consequences.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@BethRigby: .@Keir_Starmer also one of the North London Labour massive, while @johnmcdonnellMP also a London MP. So that's six major shad cab jobs....

Do I hear the phrase Metropolitan Elite.....I can see that going down well in Stoke and Sunderland.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,724
    Essexit said:

Speedy said:

IanB2 said:

If Don Brind predicts peace we should best assume that punch-ups will break out within Labour very soon....surely they won't let themselves be upstaged by UKIP (again)?

Not sure:

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/784085503431802882
    Well, he's not wrong.
    At least he didn't hit anybody.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    taffys said:

''Robert Moore on Trump on ITV now. Former manufacturing workers in Ohio say he is the man they have been waiting for ''

Careful, you'll have the site's Clinton rampettes on your case.

Once the registration data and polling supports this purported surge then I'll change my view.
  • Options
    I find it hard to believe that all of the appointees were appraised of all of these details. Wasn't there a new record set a couple of months ago for the least time between appointment and resignation. A day or so? Anyway that record must be seriously under threat.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    Labour is filth.

Hideously, irremediably rotten from the top down.

Any member who does not rip up their card at the appointment of McBride and Shami needs to consider why they are continuing to support this ... (deletes word) ... filth.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, problem is that McBride is almost certainly more competent than Milne.
  • Options

Labour is filth.

Any member who does not rip up their card at the appointment of McBride and Shami needs to consider why they are continuing to support this ... (deletes word) ... filth.

TSE views McBride as a friend of PB. I agree with you JJ, McBride is filth.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Do I hear the phrase Metropolitan Elite.....I can see that going down well in Stoke and Sunderland.
    I'm not sure Labour voters in Stoke are really annoyed about London MP's being in the shadow cabinet and not Tristram Hunt.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited October 2016
    Speedy said:

Jonathan said:

Ishmael_X said:

dr_spyn said:

God's 42nd butterfly battalion probably.

If Trump doesn't get the divine message, well consequences.
    Scores dead in Haita and Speedy giggles.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-37579399
    Roll on November.and your permanent absence from PB.
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, problem is that McBride is almost certainly more competent than Milne.

It will be interesting how he will adapt his gutter tactics for a non-posho female leader. Not sure spreading the sort of fake stories he had lined up for Cameron and Osborne will work for May.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    What were the posting names of Stewart Jackson and McBride? Can anybody help?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

I'm not sure Labour voters in Stoke are really annoyed about London MP's being in the shadow cabinet and not Tristram Hunt.
    Engage brain lad....
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    JonathanD said:

matt said:

Sarah Champion is an excellent promotion (to women and equalities) - one of the most talented of the new intake.

The make of Corbyn's left wing London centric elite plays entirely into Theresa May's description yesterday and the idea of Abbott as shadow home secretary is just perverse. Labour is lost as the Country moves to the new consensus and accepts Brexit.
    May's willingness to embrace class war and pit one region of the country against another for short term advantage is just one of the signs of her weak leadership.
    Rubbish, Sir.

I have just delivered Herself her mid-evening cup of tea, with accompanying grapes and cheese. As I was preparing these routine gifts I became aware that Thomas, the cat, had been given treats, treats above and beyond his needs. Along with his very expensive cat food (50p for a few mouthfuls), I had already given him some chopped ham and some prawns. However, to my horror Herself had seen fit to add a dish of chopped salmon.

TM must go easy.
  • Options

Labour is filth.

TSE views McBride as a friend of PB. I agree with you JJ, McBride is filth.
    I also agree that if TSE has a high opinion of someone then that someone must be very naughty.

However I didn't see anyone ripping their membership cards when McBride did the same job for Gordon Brown, did someone say hypocrites ?
  • Options
    @jessicaelgot: Told Rosie Winterton's sacking was total shock to her, believed progress was being made on party unity, thought meeting was about mediation

Popcorn on back order...
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    I thought McBride was a twitter joke?

Shami is a good and worthy person....that is now massively tainted by running an independent inquiry for someone that then ennobled her and put her in their cabinet. If that was in the city pages of Private Eye it would end with "trebles all round!".
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

Engage brain lad....
    The point is that they are more annoyed in Stoke about Hunt being their MP than the shadow cabinet reshuffle.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

How to deal with falling voter numbers in the north, massively pile in capital city MP's. Because working class northerners love Londoners, oh yessiree.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

I'm sure they could find A number of those, like Trump has found A number of african americans to vote for him, about 5 or 6.
    Suburban whites could win it for him and he is likely to do better than Romney with the black vote in the privacy of the booth
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

Shami Shadow Attorney General - what was that Theresa May said yesterday about left wing human rights lawyers. Amazing how someone who has gone from generally respected to someone who is evasive and sends her child to a private school. Hypocrisy doesn't come close

Shabby Chakrabarti.......

A woman with appalling judgment and no moral compass. Perfect for today's Labour party.

• Options
    Alistair said:

taffys said:

''Robert Moore on Trump on ITV now. Former manufacturing workers in Ohio say he is the man they have been waiting for ''

Once the registration data and polling supports this purported surge then I'll change my view.
    Polling today is actually showing Trump ahead in Florida, tied in Nevada and close in Arizona and NH as posted earlier
  • Options
    Kevin Schofield ‏@PolhomeEditor 2h2 hours ago
    Labour MP: "This is not a reshuffle for peace, this isn't even a reshuffle for an armistice - this is provocation."
  • Options
    taffys said:

''There were a number of suburban voters, male and female, in the programme voting for Trump too.''

Don;t bother mate, they aren't listening.

They will be on election night, when Ohio goes for Trump
  • Options

I'm not sure he'll be able to operate in the same way as he did before. The media will be on the lookout. It'd be a great story for them to get his scalp again.

As for his competence: he was snivelling around Brown's backside from 2003 onwards, campaigning to get his boss the top job. He did it, but to a large degree caused Labour's current problems - an entire generation of would-be leaders was destroyed. I'm not sure that could be called 'competence'.

He'll do the same thing again. He's much more effective in ridding Labour of competent people than he is of attacking the Conservatives.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/DAaronovitch/status/784011616044126211
    Now that Woolfe is clearly on the road to recovery, can we agree that this is v funny?
  • Options

Has there ever been a weaker opposition?

IDS 2001 to 2003. He was worse than Corbyn failing to hold Blair to account over Iraq.

IDS did not tolerate and befriend terrorists and anti-semites. That is far more toxic to Labour and our body politic generally than IDS's utter feebleness.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, I hope you're right.

Anyway, eyes are going fuzzy so I'm off for the night.
  • Options
    I've watched a rather anaemic Tory party conference with a wary eye this year, some good ideas and some bad but at least an attempt to keep in contact with reality from most of the cabinet and the members.

Then Labour start their reshuffle and expose the chasm between the two parties, one is a little hidebound but at least gets out a bit, and the other spends all its time around each others houses acting like Rick from the Young Ones.
    It leaves centrists like me in the cold, the Tories are lurching a but but at least near the centre ground whilst Labour are off playing in the deep end and telling voters how stupid they are.

Fucking hell.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Suburban whites could win it for him and he is likely to do better than Romney with the black vote in the privacy of the booth
    With black gay men maybe, with the others I doubt it.

Don't forget the electorate responds like a female on a date, I wonder what Trump did when dating.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2016
    The National Rifle Association's TV ad campaign featuring Kristi McMains, who successfully used the pistol she was carrying in her handbag to fight off a knife attacker who tried to abduct her, may do wonders for Trump. Especially if it synergises with his shtick in the second debate.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

I've watched a rather anaemic Tory party conference with a wary eye this year, some good ideas and some bad but at least an attempt to keep in contact with reality from most of the cabinet and the members.

Then Labour start their reshuffle and expose the chasm between the two parties, one is a little hidebound but at least gets out a bit, and the other spends all its time around each others houses acting like Rick from the Young Ones.
    It leaves centrists like me in the cold, the Tories are lurching a but but at least near the centre ground whilst Labour are off playing in the deep end and telling voters how stupid they are.

Fucking hell.

It is much easier to envisage a two party system where Maytories is the government and Camerontories is the opposition, or vice versa, than to see the present setup functioning properly.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763
    IanB2 said:

Ishmael_X said:

dr_spyn said:
    He does have uncanny timing. We haven't heard from Corbyn or Don for a couple of weeks and just at the point when Don dares to postulate a theory about the Labour Party, Corbyn rises up to lay it totally bare.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited October 2016
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

Engage brain lad....
    The point is that they are more annoyed in Stoke about Hunt being their MP than the shadow cabinet reshuffle.
    But it plays into the whole narrative. The outlook will be, not only do we have some Southern posho representing us, if we vote Labour we get the whole bloody load of Londeners running the country and they are all pro unlimited immigration. It like the bloody Tories, but even the Tories want to cut back on the immigration.

One of the smart things Blair did was to bring the likes of Prescott in. He is an idiot, but it allowed them to say hey we have some proper normal Northern working class class sitting around the cabinet table.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    I'm going to sleep well in my bed tonight thinking that Diane Abbott could be the next Home Secretary.

Does Jezza have the first idea about anything.No. Thought so.

The only person I could think that could be worse would be Tyson Fury
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    Speedy said:

Don't forget the electorate responds like a female on a date

That sounds...well it sounds as though it could be true. What exact response and stimulus pairs support the contention? :-)
  • Options
    I wonder if Charlie Whelan can be prised out of Unite's grasp. That would be even funnier!
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Did any of these newly appointed shadow ministers, quit the Shadow cabinet before or resin vote against him in the vote of confidence?

I'm trying to work out if he is just rearranging his handful of loyal supporters, enticing some of the doubters back in to a 'medium size tent' at least?
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Speedy said:

Don't forget the electorate responds like a female on a date

That sounds...well it sounds as though it could be true. What exact response and stimulus pairs support the contention? :-)
    Labour's plans to do a runner when the bill is presented aren't going to go down terribly well I guess.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    HaroldO said:

Fucking hell.

I think you do Rick a disservice.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Why will Trump do better with African Americans?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

I'm not sure he'll be able to operate in the same way as he did before. The media will be on the lookout. It'd be a great story for them to get his scalp again.

As for his competence: he was snivelling around Brown's backside from 2003 onwards, campaigning to get his boss the top job. He did it, but to a large degree caused Labour's current problems - an entire generation of would-be leaders was destroyed. I'm not sure that could be called 'competence'.

He'll do the same thing again. He's much more effective in ridding Labour of competent people than he is of attacking the Conservatives.
    I should have thought that scum like McBride would have had their day. All editor need ask a journalist now is the source of their story. The likes of McBride, Campbell and Mandelson would be laughed out of court.
  • Options

I wonder if Charlie Whelan can be prised out of Unite's grasp. That would be even funnier!

These days, isn't more much interested wandering around the rivers of the Scottish highlands?
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

HaroldO said:

Fucking hell.

It is much easier to envisage a two party system where Maytories is the government and Camerontories is the opposition, or vice versa, than to see the present setup functioning properly.
    When the only thing a PM has to worry about is the person she has replaced's old drinking buddies one has to wonder what the fuck is going on.
    The Tories are playing Chess, Labour are playing multi-ethnic Ludo but only at a pub on the Victoria line.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited October 2016

I should have thought that scum like McBride would have had their day. All editor need ask a journalist now is the source of their story. The likes of McBride, Campbell and Mandelson would be laughed out of court.
    BBC always seem keen to get the opinions of Campbell. On again today giving us his thoughts on May and Tory conference.
  • Options

HaroldO said:

Fucking hell.

I think you do Rick a disservice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul3U_J37YCc
  • Options
    FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

Ishmael_X said:

dr_spyn said:
    He does have uncanny timing. We haven't heard from Corbyn or Don for a couple of weeks and just at the point when Don dares to postulate a theory about the Labour Party, Corbyn rises up to lay it totally bare.
    Is it a curse or something worse?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Because there was a much higher turnout than normal with Obama as candidate.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

I'm still hoping it's an @TSE wind-up.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

taffys said:

Polling today is actually showing Trump ahead in Florida, tied in Nevada and close in Arizona and NH as posted earlier
    Romeny won Arizona by 9!!! Trump being 'close' is a disaster.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tyson said:

I'm going to sleep well in my bed tonight thinking that Diane Abbott could be the next Home Secretary.

Tyson Fury? Is that you after a bottle and a half of wine?
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Did any of these newly appointed shadow ministers, quit the Shadow cabinet before or resin vote against him in the vote of confidence?

I'm trying to work out if he is just rearranging his handful of loyal supporters, enticing some of the doubters back in to a 'medium size tent' at least?

@SkyNewsBreak: Jonathan Reynolds has been appointed Shadow Economic Secretary to Treasury & is the first ex-frontbencher to return after resigning in June
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2016
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

My entire life, since I have only ever seen them portrayed as creepy and scary in media.
    How old are you? I remember going to kids parties between the ages of about 4 and 8 and them being fun characters rather than scary.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

Engage brain lad....
    But it plays into the whole narrative. The outlook will be, not only do we have some Southern posho representing us, if we vote Labour we get the whole bloody load of Londeners running the country and they are all pro unlimited immigration. It like the bloody Tories, but even the Tories want to cut back on the immigration.

One of the smart things Blair did was to bring the likes of Prescott in. He is an idiot, but it allowed them to say hey we have some proper normal Northern working class class sitting around the cabinet table.
    "idiot" equals "proper normal Northern working class"?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,491
    JohnO and I just sank a very pleasant couple of pints together and had a Thai curry.

Not sure I care about Labour's #jokeshuffle.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

But it is not the moral of the story. And what is the truth about Brexit? Clue, no-one knows. But a lot of people are crying wolf.

And a lot of people are saying 'Look, there's no wolf!', when the prediction was that the wolf would appear some time in the next couple of years.
    LOL.

This reminds me of when I was in Geneva at the negotiations drafting the Chemical Weapons Convention. I made the error of saying in an intervention that "there are many ways to skin a cat." Of course, as this was a working group without simultaneous interpretation, I had to explain myself. For the next several months, every delegate for whom English was not the mother tongue seemed to bend over backwards to use another cat metaphor or simile.
    When in the USA with my then USA citizen girlfriend we were at a party of her fellow students one evening.

They were discussing a fellow female student who had decided to go to Alaska. They reckoned she was into hairy bearded men and would enjoy the ratio to much laughter. I interjected that she might be out of luck as most of them would probably prefer the sheep.

No laughter, silence, tumbleweed.....

There are actually sheep in Alaska and men do go there sheep hunting, but alas the 'Flossie is that you' double meaning hasnt crossed the atlantic where things are a littie more puritanical.

Baaaa.
    In Dartmoor in the summer I realised that sheep don't say Baa they say Meh!

Meh! Meh! Mehhhhh!

It's seriously quite startling when you see it that way (and Meh is closer to the sound they make than Baa).

Suddenly it feels like an entire species is looking at you and snorting with derision, and contempt, rather than stupidly bleating. Makes you quite self conscious.
    Is "self conscious" the same as "self indulgent"?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

JohnO and I just sank a very pleasant couple of pints together and had a Thai curry.

I hope you put him.back on the right train
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Charles said:

I hope you put him.back on the right train
    Then how would he learn? :D
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

How old are you? I remember going to kids parties between the ages of about 4 and 8 and them being fun characters rather than scary.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,378
    There won't, and can't be unity, for the simple reason that Corbynism has its own (pardon the pun) momentum. If your entire political project is defined by its supposed purity in relation to the rest of your party then to compromise is to give up the one thing that makes you politically powerful. Once you admit that your principles aren't the only morally acceptable left wing ones it's over - why not have a younger, smarter, more competent leader?

The only way there could be unity is if Labour MPs concede on everything, which is again impossible, because if they're anything like the moderate members disgusted by Corbyn and his coterie there are things that are beyond moral red lines they would be asked to back. No one who thinks Nato has largely kept the peace in Europe since WW2 can seriously suggest a man who thinks it should "pack up and go home" becomes PM. These disagreements can be ignored or put to one side but events will eventually make them flare up again - as happened over the first year. Pretty much every crisis of his leadership was caused by an issue the hard left's views are diametrically opposed to the rest of the left on coming into focus. The same thing is certain to happen again.

As for May & the Tories collapsing, she'll no doubt falter - but why on Earth would those disappointed voters go to Labour? Unhappy economic and social liberals have a far better home in the Lib Dems, and Corbyn's brand of Islington politics is toxic to voters for whom Ed Miliband was too much of a North London SJW.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,491
    DavidL said:

What were the posting names of Stewart Jackson and McBride? Can anybody help?

The posting name of Stewart Jackson was Stewart Jackson.
  • Options

BBC always seem keen to get the opinions of Campbell. On again today giving us his thoughts on May and Tory conference.
    Someone must get a kick-back to allow him to promote volume 5 of his "diaries"
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

taffys said:

clinton doesnt need any of those states.

whens the wikileaks benghazi stuff then? is 48 hours late.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

I thought McBride was a twitter joke?

Shami is a good and worthy person....that is now massively tainted by running an independent inquiry for someone that then ennobled her and put her in their cabinet. If that was in the city pages of Private Eye it would end with "trebles all round!".

She is not a good and worthy person.

She is someone who:-

- thought it ok when a trustee of the LSE to accept money from the Ghaddaffi family
    - did not speak up for free speech when Geert Wilders was banned from the UK, a ban subsequently overturned by the courts
    - did not speak up for people like Maajid Nawaz when he was being threatened by Islamists for tweeting a cartoon
    - praised a senior CAGE (CAGE FFS!!!) person as a great advocate for human rights
    - has utterly failed to get to grips with the reason why anti-Semitism is now a real problem in the Labour party, not least because she has forgotten Lesson No 1 - "the fish rots from the head". There would be no problem with this in Labour if its leader did not himself have a long history of consorting with anti-semites and if he took the issue seriously.

Her understanding of civil liberties is superficial and her understanding of the threat to them even worse. She talks in superficial soundbites and I would no more entrust my civil liberties to her than I would to my cat.

Labour with their slide into authoritarianism under Blair and their current love for every sort of anti-Western and anti-liberal terrorist and other organization is probably one of the greatest threats to our civil liberties, should they ever get power.

And that threat is recognized by some in Labour, people with a greater moral sense than Shabby C.

As a former Labour councillor in Portsmouth said: "I cannot advocate to voters that they elect a Labour Government with Jeremy Corbyn at the helm. Indeed, I would be morally obliged to campaign against any administration that included Corbyn and John McDonnell, given my belief that they would seriously imperil our nation's national security if ever given the reins of power."

Mind you, it simply echoes what Jeff (now Lord) Rooker said last year at the time of the Syria bombing vote.

"My party leader cannot be accused, like the prime minister, of misleading anyone. He has never, to my knowledge, agreed to protect the realm, the British way of life, or western liberal democracies – and he won't."

Chakrabarti has sold such credibility as she had for a mess of pottage in the Lords.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Charles said:

tyson said:

Tyson Fury? Is that you after a bottle and a half of wine?
    It's him after you use an emoticon in a reply to one of his posts... :)
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

taffys said:

He is ahead in Florida, which Romney lost and has more electoral votes and tied in Nevada which Romney also lost. If Trump lost Arizona he could win if he won Florida, Ohio, Colorado, Iowa and a MidWestern state and held the other Romney states. Clinton's lead in Arizona is narrow anyway
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited October 2016

JonathanD said:

matt said:

Rubbish, Sir.

I have just delivered Herself her mid-evening cup of tea, with accompanying grapes and cheese. As I was preparing these routine gifts I became aware that Thomas, the cat, had been given treats, treats above and beyond his needs. Along with his very expensive cat food (50p for a few mouthfuls), I had already given him some chopped ham and some prawns. However, to my horror Herself had seen fit to add a dish of chopped salmon.

TM must go easy.
    @HurstLlama : Meanwhile our stray kitten Miss Indigo took in a couple of months or so ago has just started to tire of canned sardines, happily I have discovered that the fishermen landing just down the road like to sell off the part of their catch that is too small for the regular customers for a song, so now it gets fish fresh from the sea for about 20p/kilo - result!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

As they have no connection with Hillary as they did with Obama
This discussion has been closed.