Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Seamus Milne really is going then that could help effort

Comments

• Options

Miss Plato, hmm. I wonder if that's cock-up or something more sinister. Hopefully it's just something going wonky rather than something being detonated.

Weather: http://www.9news.com.au/National/2016/09/28/05/40/South-Australia-braces-for-one-of-the-most-extreme-weather-systems-in-decades
  • Options
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

MikeK said:
    Jeremy Corbyn draws thousands to his rallies.
    And he'll still lose by a landslide at the general election.

The ramping of candidates in an election where almost no-one here is voting, is pointless. Here we're pretty much all all more interested in how to make money, than in the actual result on Nov. 8.
    Do you have shares in nuclear fallout shelter manufacturers? If so, we should be told.
    LOL no, I just live in the middle of the desert!

It was just a rare (from me anyway) comment on the number of posters mindlessly ramping one side or the other, in an election where almost no-one on this board is actually voting. There's one pro-Hillary shill in particular who has commented 300 times on nothing else, almost certainly a waste of the DNC's cash.

Sure, we all have an opinion as to the relative merits (or otherwise) of the two most unpopular candidates in history, but most of us here are just looking for a betting angle - given there's nothing we can do to affect the result of the contest.
    "There's one pro-Hillary shill in particular"

Really? All I see is reaction to the Trump ramping and, in particular, the stupid pseudo-doctor stuff.

I'd love to be paid to give my opinions on the Internet. How do I sign up?

Oh, I just have. Putin's a great man. Russia's doing brilliantly helping the lovely Assad. North Korea's a great place to go on holiday. Venezuela's economy is booming. The Conservatives are evil baby-eaters. Vote TRUMP!

:)
    @619 is a new poster who is resolutely pro-Hillary but doesn't say much else.
    Hmm.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dmboggs74
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228

Watched the Kuenssberg interview with Corbyn this morning. I find his interviews absolutely fascinating both in the way he conducts himself (generally like he's sitting on a wasp) and for the sheer head-in-the-sand-ness of it all. The immigration segment was jaw dropping.

What could yet do for Corbyn is if Labour loses heavily in the 2017 county council and 2018 metropolitan council local elections, such that there's no longer any hiding from the fact that under him the party is going backwards compared to where it was under Miliband, and that even the 2016 local elections were a high point. According to the latest YouGov, 63% of C2DEs want tighter controls on immigration, compared to 15% wanting no change or looser control. It is indeed a head-in-the-sand approach from Corbyn, topped by extra lashings of extra political naivety by the prominent way in which he is willing to espouse such an electorally disasterous do-nothing-of-substance approach.
    If Labour are going to be beaten into third by UKIP then next year's county council elections are the most likely for that to occur with few of the Corbyn friendly metropolitan counties up
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

https://twitter.com/CityAM/status/781022950057181184

..and one of the reasons is that Sainsbury's penchant for rebranding foods from other companies under their own name. People don't like it when well remembered and loved brands are made invisible. True other major supermarkets do this too - Tesco is a prime example - but Sainsbury's leads the pack.

Used Argos for the first time in years a few weeks ago. Twice In One day and got same day delivery each time, very good.
    In store is dreadful. You do all the work - ordering payingand still have to wait
    I can't pretend to like Argos stores - but for the zip and out purchase, it's great. I can get a taxi to store find the item [usually a power lead for laptop cat chewed], order it and out within less than ten mins.

Online shopping has totally changed how I shop - I don't wander around looking at stuff - I know what I want, look for it online and buy it. Amazon recommendations occasionally gets me to add extras - but not often. I'm much more focussed.
  • Options
    Doesn't appear to be a speech bingo market on Ladbrokes. Ah well.

Miss Vance, difficult to do much about the weather, as we recently discovered with flooding.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Maomentum_: Corbyn: There should be no cap on the number of ways to alienate voters.
  • Options

Similarly the German refugee crisis is a direct result of Eight Million Germans being expelled from parts of Germany annexed by Russia, Poland and Czech after World War 2 and fleeing west as refugees. While that was within living memory Germany would never have stood aside as another refugee crisis unfolded in southern Europe.

Link? I read the German press regularly and watch German TV news coverage now and then, and I've never heard this referred to. The concern about expelled Germans was a big factor associated primarily with the fairly far right (CSU) in the 50s and it delayed recognition of the Oder-Neisse border with Poland, but because it tended to get mixed up with revanchism (give us back our lost lands) it never got broad acceptance, and when people had settled it evaporated as an issue - I've not heard it mentioned for years.

Rather, I think the Hitler background is a factor - having been the cause of mass forced migration followed by extermination, many Germans feel that they need to be especially careful not to shut an eye to refugee misery. It's a decent fundamental outlook though of course one can quarrel with practical consequences.
    Source as requested:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/11842533/Germans-have-been-refugees-before-they-see-themselves-in-these-Syrians.html
  • Options
    619 said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

MikeK said:
    Jeremy Corbyn draws thousands to his rallies.
    And he'll still lose by a landslide at the general election.

The ramping of candidates in an election where almost no-one here is voting, is pointless. Here we're pretty much all all more interested in how to make money, than in the actual result on Nov. 8.
    Do you have shares in nuclear fallout shelter manufacturers? If so, we should be told.
    LOL no, I just live in the middle of the desert!

It was just a rare (from me anyway) comment on the number of posters mindlessly ramping one side or the other, in an election where almost no-one on this board is actually voting. There's one pro-Hillary shill in particular who has commented 300 times on nothing else, almost certainly a waste of the DNC's cash.

Sure, we all have an opinion as to the relative merits (or otherwise) of the two most unpopular candidates in history, but most of us here are just looking for a betting angle - given there's nothing we can do to affect the result of the contest.
    "There's one pro-Hillary shill in particular"

Really? All I see is reaction to the Trump ramping and, in particular, the stupid pseudo-doctor stuff.

I'd love to be paid to give my opinions on the Internet. How do I sign up?

Oh, I just have. Putin's a great man. Russia's doing brilliantly helping the lovely Assad. North Korea's a great place to go on holiday. Venezuela's economy is booming. The Conservatives are evil baby-eaters. Vote TRUMP!

:)
    @619 is a new poster who is resolutely pro-Hillary but doesn't say much else.
    more nevertrump. He is a terrible, racist human being
    ...but Hillary is a terrible, mendacious, corrupt, sick human being. The Donald is surely the lesser of two weevils.
  • Options
    619 said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

Two pictures sez it all really:
    https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/780934964607062016

Yes, it says someone is lying given the Trump venue fire safety certificate was for 7500.
    Some of them look like they are standing outside (not that I care one way or the orget but to accuse someone of lying is pretty strong)
    i doubt they had thousands standing outside.

bill mitchell is some crazy trump ramper. i wouldnt listen to anything he says.
    The event before Florida had touts selling mainhall tickets for Trump. The TV pix are all there - whatever one thinks of Donald - he gets the crowds. Florida had over 12k online too. These are big numbers and knock Hillary out of the park against someone who's level pegging in the polls.
  • Options

If he thinks a migrant impact fund will alleviate peoples fears on immigration, then he is deluded.

I'm not sure 'Taxpayer money' will prove a popular answer to 'mass immigration'......
  • Options
    JEREMY Corbyn will today commit Britain to open door immigration with no “false promises” to control numbers.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1865888/uk-should-let-in-all-migrants-as-a-clampdown-would-just-sow-division-says-corbyn/

A surefire vote winner?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Miss Plato, hmm. I wonder if that's cock-up or something more sinister. Hopefully it's just something going wonky rather than something being detonated.

I should imagine that it's evil Muslims.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,925
    edited September 2016

Similarly the German refugee crisis is a direct result of Eight Million Germans being expelled from parts of Germany annexed by Russia, Poland and Czech after World War 2 and fleeing west as refugees. While that was within living memory Germany would never have stood aside as another refugee crisis unfolded in southern Europe.

Link? I read the German press regularly and watch German TV news coverage now and then, and I've never heard this referred to. The concern about expelled Germans was a big factor associated primarily with the fairly far right (CSU) in the 50s and it delayed recognition of the Oder-Neisse border with Poland, but because it tended to get mixed up with revanchism (give us back our lost lands) it never got broad acceptance, and when people had settled it evaporated as an issue - I've not heard it mentioned for years.

Rather, I think the Hitler background is a factor - having been the cause of mass forced migration followed by extermination, many Germans feel that they need to be especially careful not to shut an eye to refugee misery. It's a decent fundamental outlook though of course one can quarrel with practical consequences.
    I think Paul does have a point here. I have elderly German relatives who fled as children from East Pomerania (now part of Poland) during WWII and later from the DDR to the West in the 1960s. They have many stories of friends and relatives who were also expelled or fled from what are now parts of Russia, Poland and the Czech Republic. I'm sure that their personal experience as refugees does indeed colour their attitude towards the current Syrian refugee crisis in ways that may be hard for us to understand.
  • Options

Patrick Wintour: Strategically bold. Corbyn seems to accept Brexit but wants to retain free movement, the single most unpopular aspect of EU membership

Bold is a euphemism, right?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

If he thinks a migrant impact fund will alleviate peoples fears on immigration, then he is deluded.

I'm not sure 'Taxpayer money' will prove a popular answer to 'mass immigration'......
    Labour voter : "I'm concerned about the levels of immigration..."

Labour MP: " of course you are - we'll put more money into providing services and housing for them"

Vote winner.
  • Options

JEREMY Corbyn will today commit Britain to open door immigration with no “false promises” to control numbers.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1865888/uk-should-let-in-all-migrants-as-a-clampdown-would-just-sow-division-says-corbyn/

A surefire vote winner?

I honestly am amazed that Corbynites and far too many in Labour mainland think that buying voters off will somehow fix the immigration issue.

You can't put a price on your culture, the feeling that you live in a foreign land, that you're now an outsider.

It's insane.
  • Options

Patrick Wintour: Strategically bold. Corbyn seems to accept Brexit but wants to retain free movement, the single most unpopular aspect of EU membership

In 'Yes Minister' terms, 'Courageous'....or even 'Very Courageous'.....
  • Options

That sort of thing is the reason Hinkley Point is needed. Appaently after a large outage you need a huge power plant to recharge the grid (caution I might have read this here or somewhere else, if the latter it may be ballcocks).
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

A surefire vote winner?

With Corbyn, you have to think what a sane politician would advocate, then the complete opposite, and that will be Corbyn's position..

As for his pre-recorded interview for R4 and not being a morning person, I can see how not getting up till midday would suite being Prime Minister.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,147
    PlatoSaid said:

619 said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

Yes, it says someone is lying given the Trump venue fire safety certificate was for 7500.
    Some of them look like they are standing outside (not that I care one way or the orget but to accuse someone of lying is pretty strong)

The event before Florida had touts selling mainhall tickets for Trump. The TV pix are all there - whatever one thinks of Donald - he gets the crowds. Florida had over 12k online too. These are big numbers and knock Hillary out of the park against someone who's level pegging in the polls.
    I seem to remember Sanders backers getting similarly excited...
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/1/4/1465919/-Head-to-Head-Comparison-of-Hillary-v-Bernie-recent-attendance-numbers
  • Options

A surefire vote winner?

The last 6 years suggest that Theresa May's false promises on immigration are vote winners. So far.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

A surefire vote winner?

One of the most vote winningest policies imaginable. Right up there with "lets talk to Al-Qaeda", "don't shoot the terrorists", and "maybe the Argentines have a point?"
  • Options
    Mr. Matt, it's legitimate to wonder whether some sort of criminality/terrorism is involved when considering a major power outage in an advanced nation. That doesn't mean it's the case, and I suspect it probably isn't, but I'm not going to assume it's not.

Of course, I'd prefer to just wait and see what comes out. But recent reporting has not filled me with confidence in the media when it comes to that sort of thing.
  • Options
    @GuidoFawkes: UPDATE Labour source: "The story about Seumas leaving on Friday is untrue." order-order.com/2016/09/28/mis… pic.twitter.com/vHxdnBde7E
  • Options
    On Corbyn:

the Conservatives should cancel their conference. There's no way they can boost their popularity as much as Corbyn's about to.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

A surefire vote winner?

The last 6 years suggest that Theresa May's false promises on immigration are vote winners. So far.
    I think tone of message is important. May gets people want control on numbers - Corbyn doesnt.
  • Options
    matt said:

I should imagine that it's evil Muslims.
    Wearing Burkas possibly.
  • Options

Why even *assume* it's terrorism-related? Power grids are precarious enough as it is. Especially as the reports are that heavy storms have caused he outages.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/09/28/05/40/south-australia-braces-for-one-of-the-most-extreme-weather-systems-in-decades
    http://www.smh.com.au/national/state-in-the-dark-south-australias-major-power-outage-20160928-grqmn2.html

etc, etc.

The PB crime correspondents are getting increasingly ludicrous.
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, fair point. There hasn't been any fundamentalist terrorism in recent years, after all.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@GuidoFawkes: UPDATE Labour source: "The story about Seumas leaving on Friday is untrue." order-order.com/2016/09/28/mis… pic.twitter.com/vHxdnBde7E

Morning all,

Didn't we go through all this a week or two ago? Milne going: Paul Mason was going to replace him and then Mason categorically denied it. I said at time that there's old saying that you know something is true if etc etc.

Mason would be a firework. Excellent fun for us popcorn crunchers.

• Options

That sort of thing is the reason Hinkley Point is needed. Appaently after a large outage you need a huge power plant to recharge the grid (caution I might have read this here or somewhere else, if the latter it may be ballcocks).
    What you're thinking of is a "black start" after a shutdown of the entire grid. I don't think nuclear power stations can do this, but that is one of the services provided by the Dinorwig pumped storage facility.
  • Options

On Corbyn:

the Conservatives should cancel their conference. There's no way they can boost their popularity as much as Corbyn's about to.

They need a conference to start planning what policy they are going to implement in 2020-2025, when they have a 200 seat majority. The end of unions?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    edited September 2016
    Mr. Jessop, I didn't assume.

I said I hoped it was something 'going wonky'.

Edited extra bit: worth recalling that in France a worker (I think he may have been a power station security officer) had been kidnapped or suchlike by terrorists who had an eye on causing infrastructure damage.
  • Options

Why even *assume* it's terrorism-related? Power grids are precarious enough as it is. Especially as the reports are that heavy storms have caused he outages.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/09/28/05/40/south-australia-braces-for-one-of-the-most-extreme-weather-systems-in-decades
    http://www.smh.com.au/national/state-in-the-dark-south-australias-major-power-outage-20160928-grqmn2.html

etc, etc.

I'd be more worried about the Aussie natives, anyway..
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-37481251
  • Options
    glw said:

A surefire vote winner?

One of the most vote winningest policies imaginable. Right up there with "lets talk to Al-Qaeda", "don't shoot the terrorists", and "maybe the Argentines have a point?"
    He's held the line on ISIS though, no talks with them.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

PlatoSaid said:

619 said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

I seem to remember Sanders backers getting similarly excited...
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/1/4/1465919/-Head-to-Head-Comparison-of-Hillary-v-Bernie-recent-attendance-numbers
    And Bernie was challenging Hillary - now Trump vs Hillary has about the same level of support within their own base - mid 80s IIRC.

The DNV look like a key part of this demographic. Will those turn out for Donald and will those who did for Obama stay at home for Hillary.

It's very close IMO. I think he'll edge it just.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

alex. said:

DavidL said:

Not entirely sure why Corbyn needs a sacrifice given his comfortable victory, unless one counts the innards of various PLP members. And I think one of Corbyn's few redeeming features is a lack of superstitious beliefs. That said getting rid of Seamus is a good idea in its own terms because the man is a useless pillock.

Paul Mason would be a terrible replacement. Increasingly unhinged and unconnected to reality I think even Syriza in its pomp might have hesitated to employ a cannon that was quite that loose.

Mason is building a media brand - the maverick commentator who "gets" the insurgency on the left. He would be ill-advised to take the Labour job if offered because (1) it would mean a pay cut and (2) because it would keep him off the TV and away from social media. If it were offered, though, it would inflame tensions within Labour even further and would be the clearest possible sign that Corbyn has no interest whatsoever in unity. I rather hope it happens.

Doesn't Corbyn's press officer have to be someone of this ilk though? As a matter of principle Corbyn seems to refuse to countenance compromising on his views on anything for the sake of the electorate and/or the (tabloid) media. Any press officer who tries to make him see sense on that is going to quit within a few months out of frustration. Someone like Owen Jones (who might have been perfect) would be an example of this.

Mr Deacon was quite good here
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/27/ignore-the-talk-of-labour-unity--tom-watson-just-humiliated-jere/
    Clutches my Watson for next labour leader slip.....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582

I think Paul does have a point here. I have elderly German relatives who fled as children from East Pomerania (now part of Poland) during WWII and later from the DDR to the West in the 1960s. They have many stories of friends and relatives who were also expelled or fled from what are now parts of Russia, Poland and the Czech Republic. I'm sure that their personal experience as refugees does indeed colour their attitude towards the current Syrian refugee crisis in ways that may be hard for us to understand.
    I agree and have seen this commented on before - many Germans' parents were refugees, which will have influenced opinion in a way that we can't really appreciate. Indeed making a wider point, the fact that the UK has enjoyed a relatively calm history (war et al notwithstanding) never having had the experience of occupation/collaboration/resistance nor of dictatorship does give us a mental block when it comes to understanding the politics of our friends on the continent.
  • Options

Has been since at least 'Yes, Minister'.
  • Options
    On the labour spin doctor issue. which 'serious' journo/media bod would actually consider it?

I mean, you you actually want to work with Corbyn, have to deal with McDonnell and Momentum and the like?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245

It's highly unlikely that HPC will have availability above 80%, so shall we have two to be sure?
  • Options
    Seems Jezza has become a Blairite. Surely 'doors to fully open' is pure Blair/Mandelson, circa 2000?

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    PlatoSaid said:

A surefire vote winner?

I honestly am amazed that Corbynites and far too many in Labour mainland think that buying voters off will somehow fix the immigration issue.

You can't put a price on your culture, the feeling that you live in a foreign land, that you're now an outsider.

It's insane.
    We don't think the numbers game is either appropriate or honest - every promise the Tories have made on this has been broken because they understandably shrink from the measures needed to make them actually deliverable. If you want them delivered anyway, vote UKIP. If you like being lied to, vote Tory. If you want realistic acceptance but money to address practical difficulties, vote Labour.

• Options

Mr. Jessop, I didn't assume.

I said I hoped it was something 'going wonky'.

Edited extra bit: worth recalling that in France a worker (I think he may have been a power station security officer) had been kidnapped or suchlike by terrorists who had an eye on causing infrastructure damage.

Ludicrous.

You added another clause: "... rather than something being detonated."

In other words, you appear to view every event through eyes looking for terrorism.

I daresay I'll get the usual replies. :)
  • Options
    Is this the same Paul Mason who tim used to defend against attacks by PB Tories?
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, I think it's fair enough to keep an open mind.

Whilst I suspect it is just an innocuous, albeit serious, problem, I remember similar mocking comments when the totally-not-a-terrorist in London who stabbed a woman later turned out to be a religious lunatic.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    glw said:

A surefire vote winner?

Along with "prosecute British soldiers" "lynch Esther McVey" and "restore secondary picketing"
  • Options
    Corbyn interview pre-recorded, so no chance to ask about Milne
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

A surefire vote winner?

It's insane.
    We don't think the numbers game is either appropriate or honest - every promise the Tories have made on this has been broken because they understandably shrink from the measures needed to make them actually deliverable. If you want them delivered anyway, vote UKIP. If you like being lied to, vote Tory. If you want realistic acceptance but money to address practical difficulties, vote Labour.

I agree NP.. Tell voters you cannot stop immigration and that their communities will be swamped with immigrants (you would want to be truthful now wouldn't you) and tell them to vote Labour. Good luck with that!
  • Options
    Nine News Adelaide
    All of South Australia has lost power as severe weather sweeps through the state. https://t.co/aCmCOD8UA6 #9News
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

A surefire vote winner?

It's insane.

Begs the question though. What is it exactly that Corbyn hates about the EU? He is clearly at least highly sceptical and unenthusiastic about it, if not a secret downright 'leaver'. It can't be free movement as he has just announced the same policy. It can't be the social chapter and all that.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kle4 said:

MikeK said:

..and one of the reasons is that Sainsbury's penchant for rebranding foods from other companies under their own name. People don't like it when well remembered and loved brands are made invisible. True other major supermarkets do this too - Tesco is a prime example - but Sainsbury's leads the pack.

Used Argos for the first time in years a few weeks ago. Twice In One day and got same day delivery each time, very good.
    Argos has amazing logistics. If it was some silicon valley funded start up people would be going gaga over their stock control and delivery network but because it is boring old Argos it is unfashionable to like them. Their website ordering and reservation system was ground breaking a decade ago.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Yes a bit like A50. Sounds great on paper but, like any battle plan, doesn't survive the first contact.

Tangentially, how would Brexit-minded people feel if May said she wasn't going to pull the Article 50 lever, but would instead get the EU to pass a custom treaty? They've been talking like Article 50 is anything from a brainfart to a plot to make leaving hard on purpose, so if she came home with an agreement to pass a treaty instead, could she spin that as a victory?

The practical advantage is that it could be done along with a comprehensive trade deal (which IIUC isn't covered by the Article 50 QMV vote?) and on a more flexible timetable. The practical impact would be that since treaties take a long, unpredictable amount of time, there would be no telling when the process would be done, if ever.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228

PlatoSaid said:

A surefire vote winner?

It's insane.

Begs the question though. What is it exactly that Corbyn hates about the EU? He is clearly at least highly sceptical and unenthusiastic about it, if not a secret downright 'leaver'. It can't be free movement as he has just announced the same policy. It can't be the social chapter and all that.
    Free movement of capital
  • Options
    George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 4m4 minutes ago
    Most Labour MPs planning to leave before Corbyn's speech.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Argos has amazing logistics. If it was some silicon valley funded start up people would be going gaga over their stock control and delivery network but because it is boring old Argos it is unfashionable to like them. Their website ordering and reservation system was ground breaking a decade ago.
    Someone did go gaga over it. Sainsbury's. They bought it out and are now absorbing it into the main company. I gather within the hour food deliveries have started in some London postcodes. By bicycle.
  • Options

A surefire vote winner?

I think tone of message is important. May gets people want control on numbers - Corbyn doesnt.
    Of course. As any fule kno, telling people what they want to hear on a subject while resolutely avoiding taking any action on it is the really important thing.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

TOPPING said:

Yes a bit like A50. Sounds great on paper but, like any battle plan, doesn't survive the first contact.

Tangentially, how would Brexit-minded people feel if May said she wasn't going to pull the Article 50 lever, but would instead get the EU to pass a custom treaty? They've been talking like Article 50 is anything from a brainfart to a plot to make leaving hard on purpose, so if she came home with an agreement to pass a treaty instead, could she spin that as a victory?

The practical advantage is that it could be done along with a comprehensive trade deal (which IIUC isn't covered by the Article 50 QMV vote?) and on a more flexible timetable. The practical impact would be that since treaties take a long, unpredictable amount of time, there would be no telling when the process would be done, if ever.
    And would probably trigger another referendum under the Tories' infamous referendum lock act?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Alistair said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

At the rally Trump claimed 25000, then the post rally campaign tweet said 15000 inside with 12000 outside, now it's down to 10000 despite the story Bill is tweeting saying it's 15000.

And venue was listened for 7500
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960

PlatoSaid said:

A surefire vote winner?

It's insane.

I don't think that you fully appreciate that no amount of money makes up for what some consider unwanted demographic and cultural change. Labour lost the election because of failing to fix the roof whilst the sun was shining. What has become apparent in the years since is that they also changed the password on the gate to 'password' AND told everyone in Europe that they were entitled to settle. Now Labour want to tell everyone the same?

UKIP are going to clean up the WWC voters who have traditionally voted labour. And rightly so, they've been utterly betrayed.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    OK! Seamus Milne not Going, Quitting, Resigning or getting Booted.

New thread please!
  • Options

On the labour spin doctor issue. which 'serious' journo/media bod would actually consider it?

I mean, you you actually want to work with Corbyn, have to deal with McDonnell and Momentum and the like?

Yeh, could take months to fill the post. Although the whole thing may turn out to be a case of Milne has conference flu and is not leaving.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Mr. Matt, it's legitimate to wonder whether some sort of criminality/terrorism is involved when considering a major power outage in an advanced nation. That doesn't mean it's the case, and I suspect it probably isn't, but I'm not going to assume it's not.

Of course, I'd prefer to just wait and see what comes out. But recent reporting has not filled me with confidence in the media when it comes to that sort of thing.

It's equally legitimate to wonder if space aliens did it.
  • Options

Only the conference hall I presume?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Someone did go gaga over it. Sainsbury's. They bought it out and are now absorbing it into the main company. I gather within the hour food deliveries have started in some London postcodes. By bicycle.
    That idea is the perfect mix of deliveroo and Argos. There are enough people out there who don't mind paying for convenience. A few quid for 20 items to be delivered within an hour, people will pay for it in London. Even if the local Sainsbury's is in walking distance.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

And would probably trigger another referendum under the Tories' infamous referendum lock act?
    I assume they'd say it didn't transfer powers to the EU so no referendum was needed, unless they actually wanted to have it.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Well, Sarkozy has a plan somewhere (but not quite) along those lines:
    https://www.ft.com/content/5763950a-84d4-11e6-8897-2359a58ac7a5
  • Options
    MikeK said:

New thread please!

If he is staying can the Guardian now stop this ridiculous secondment lark. As a regular reader it really pi**** me off. Real conflict of interest. Only yesterday the front page featured a story about him.
  • Options

If they have any sense they will leave the city as well, and listen to the speech on the radio. That way they will avoid the massive queues for everything and the crush at the station and on the roads as thousands of people all try to collect their costs and luggage and leave the same place at once.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

A surefire vote winner?

It's insane.

Vote Labour if you like having your nose rubbed in it and having to pay for the pleasure.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    edited September 2016

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

I was once laughed at, in a collegial way, for suggesting that Argos was a tremendous proposition and should have some serious investment put into it. They also have some tremendous town and city centre premises which will, as internet deliveries eventually triumph over out of town malls, be rather useful.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

That idea is the perfect mix of deliveroo and Argos. There are enough people out there who don't mind paying for convenience. A few quid for 20 items to be delivered within an hour, people will pay for it in London. Even if the local Sainsbury's is in walking distance.
    My grandmother would have laughed. Her local greengrocer had a lad delivering on a bicycle well after everywhere else had long abandoned that. At least into the 1990s. Very useful for her in later life.
  • Options

MikeK said:

New thread please!

If he is staying can the Guardian now stop this ridiculous secondment lark. As a regular reader it really pi**** me off. Real conflict of interest. Only yesterday the front page featured a story about him.
    Conflict of interest? Since when did we have politically independent media in this country?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

I was once laughed at, in a collegial way, for suggesting that Argos was a tremendous proposition and should have some serious investment put into it. They also have some tremendous town and city centre premises which will, as internet deliveries eventually triumph over out of town malls, be rather useful.
    I seem to recall Sainsbury's shareholders didn't take that view when it was purchased.
  • Options
    Mr. Matt, you think space aliens and terrorists have the same likelihood of attacking individuals or infrastructure?

That's as true as the idea policemen can diagnose someone's psychological state whilst electrocuting them.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

If they have any sense they will leave the city as well, and listen to the speech on the radio. That way they will avoid the massive queues for everything and the crush at the station and on the roads as thousands of people all try to collect their costs and luggage and leave the same place at once.
    Thousands? Oh you mean those attending the Maomentum conference next door.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

PlatoSaid said:

A surefire vote winner?

It's insane.

Vote Labour if you like having your nose rubbed in it and having to pay for the pleasure.
    Whilst being called a thick racist for complaining about it.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Well, I was meaning rather than the party, but yeah, good, practical point!
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Mr Matt,

"It's equally legitimate to wonder if space aliens did it."

I suspect you're not the most logical person in the world. That doesn't make you a bad person, but consider the facts. Outages happen occasionally. It's very unlikely to be IS, but it would make sense to attempt this. It would show to their followers that they still had the capacity to strike back, and it would generate good publicity. Say ... a 50-1 shot?

Space aliens (I'm not sure there are other sorts) ... Hmm, I think you see the logical reasoning. A trillion to one? And that's being kind.

Ruling things out is always unwise - unless, of course, it's a person running amok when the police spokesmen can diagnose mental health issues from the video. Perhaps they should work for the NHS?

• Options
    Assuming Corbyn's speech is as reported, this is the first big test/opportunity for Diane James. Whilst his open borders madness will be helpful for the Conservatives, in many areas people still won't vote for the blues. No idea how good or bad a leader James will prove to be, but if she can get this right, she could get a swathe of voters to jump ship.

The Lib Dems won't be able to take the same sort of advantage due to Farron's love of the EU.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,158
    edited September 2016
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Well, Sarkozy has a plan somewhere (but not quite) along those lines:
    https://www.ft.com/content/5763950a-84d4-11e6-8897-2359a58ac7a5
    So I read that as a proposal to change the EU then ask the British to vote again, which I doubt would fly in either Britain or the rest of the EU. I think that's just for domestic consumption, as Sarkozy has the same problem that Cameron did ahead of 2015: He's angling for right-wing voters who are narked off with the EU over X, Y and Z, but he doesn't want to leave the EU, so he has to make it sound like he can change the EU so it no longer has X, Y and Z.

What I'm talking about would ostensibly just be a different way to Brexit, only with a full treaty of the EU and no 2-year time-bomb.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Alistair said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

At the rally Trump claimed 25000, then the post rally campaign tweet said 15000 inside with 12000 outside, now it's down to 10000 despite the story Bill is tweeting saying it's 15000.

LA Times latest poll shows no swing towards Clinton as yet - although only one day out of 7 is post debate.http://graphics.latimes.com/usc-presidential-poll-dashboard/ (IMHO the key factor seems to be that more Republicans will hold their noses and vote Trump rather than Democrats hold their noses and vote Clinton)
  • Options
    Migration is one of those areas where he popularity of a policy is inversely proportional to how deliverable it is. The simplistic "keep me all out" and imposing arbritrary caps on migration are unfeasible but economically damaging, but anything more cerebral doesn't wash with the public.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

I pay Tesco £3pcm to deliver shopping over £40 for free on T/W/Th. And I pay a couple of quid outside those days if I accept a 4hr window. And they text me hours in advance to tell me what hour they'll turn up.

It's incredible value - no dragging bags up the drive, no queuing, no cocking about at the checkout - all delivered with a chat/smile in about 2mins. About 50 calories of effort from me.

Why anyone goes trolley shopping is beyond me unless they enjoy wandering the aisles as recreation. I used to - like garden centres on a Sunday....
  • Options
    Deutsche Bank:

I do wonder if Mrs Merkel is actually being cleverer than she appears. According to the BIS, Deutsche Bank is the most systematically important institution in the world. It has the most counterparties, and (probably) the greatest exposure to the swaps and other illiquid derivative markets.

If DB were to file for bankruptcy protection, it would clearly be a disaster in Germany. But at least there is a path to "supporting" depositors and the like. A new company "German Retail and Commercial Banking AG" could be created to take the healthy (non investment banking) parts of the business.

That would be a disaster for all DB's counterparties - particularly their US ones. What happens if you have an interest rate swap with an institution that simply doesn't exit? (Because European banks - outside CS, UBS and - to a lesser extent - SocGen aren't really in the investment banking business the effect would be relatively most here.) The US might be required to bail out their banking system a second time to deal with the insolvency of Deutsche Bank.

By threatening not to rescue DB, and refusing to intervene in the discussions re the potential fine, she is saying to the US government "sure, shoot DB, but it'll be you picking up the pieces".

Just a thought.
  • Options

etc, etc.

There are a number of people on here whose knee jerk reaction to bad news is that it must be terrorist related. They even berate the BBC for not immediately jumping to conclusions. It's worth waiting for the facts.
  • Options

A surefire vote winner?

Of course. As any fule kno, telling people what they want to hear on a subject while resolutely avoiding taking any action on it is the really important thing.
    Nicola's been taking your advice then......
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

I pay Tesco £3pcm to deliver shopping over £40 for free on T/W/Th. And I pay a couple of quid outside those days if I accept a 4hr window. And they text me hours in advance to tell me what hour they'll turn up.

It's incredible value - no dragging bags up the drive, no queuing, no cocking about at the checkout - all delivered with a chat/smile in about 2mins. About 50 calories of effort from me.

Why anyone goes trolley shopping is beyond me unless they enjoy wandering the aisles as recreation. I used to - like garden centres on a Sunday....
    I tend to pop into Waitrose on the way in from work as it is just inside Westfield, it's no bother and I get to choose my dinner ingredients there and then. My partner and I did our budgeting recently and worked out that we spend £45 per week on food, that mostly done at Waitrose or Sainsbury's. It means less meal planning and more flexibility as we get a choice of two stores where we like different items, for example the two pack of almond croissants from Sainsbury's is cheaper and better than just a single one from Waitrose. Being stuck to a single shop by way of paying a subscription for delivery wouldn't be good for us.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Alistair said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

LA Times latest poll shows no swing towards Clinton as yet - although only one day out of 7 is post debate.http://graphics.latimes.com/usc-presidential-poll-dashboard/ (IMHO the key factor seems to be that more Republicans will hold their noses and vote Trump rather than Democrats hold their noses and vote Clinton)
    Same story from Gravis earlier. A pair of not-very-good polls and not much data to go on, but what we're seeing so far is no debate bounce, or negative debate bounce.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Alistair said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

Same story from Gravis earlier. A pair of not-very-good polls and not much data to go on, but what we're seeing so far is no debate bounce, or negative debate bounce.
    Isn't that what happened in the Republican primary, the great and good would call it for not-Trump and then Trump would surge in the polls.
  • Options
    On topic, one thing that Corbyn hasn't been short of is loyalty to his friends and supporters, irrespective of their ability. I don't see any way in the world that Corbyn is about to sack him. It is possible that Milne might have seen that he's not very good at what most people see his job as being but (1) does he agree, and (2) does he see his job in the same way as others. I get the impression that he regards himself as Corbyn's gatekeeper and moral support, ahead of his media duties.

If so, he'll regard his proximity to Corbyn as essential to keeping the show on the road - as apparently it was during the resignations crisis. I'd be very surprised if he resigns unless he's confident that someone else could step into his shoes, or unless he has an equivalent position to move to.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Alistair said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

I guess you could argue that much of Trump's behaviour and flakiness is already priced in. Given his track record it would require a gaffe of stupendous proportions to significantly change the narrative.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,158
    edited September 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Deutsche Bank:

I do wonder if Mrs Merkel is actually being cleverer than she appears. According to the BIS, Deutsche Bank is the most systematically important institution in the world. It has the most counterparties, and (probably) the greatest exposure to the swaps and other illiquid derivative markets.

If DB were to file for bankruptcy protection, it would clearly be a disaster in Germany. But at least there is a path to "supporting" depositors and the like. A new company "German Retail and Commercial Banking AG" could be created to take the healthy (non investment banking) parts of the business.

That would be a disaster for all DB's counterparties - particularly their US ones. What happens if you have an interest rate swap with an institution that simply doesn't exit? (Because European banks - outside CS, UBS and - to a lesser extent - SocGen aren't really in the investment banking business the effect would be relatively most here.) The US might be required to bail out their banking system a second time to deal with the insolvency of Deutsche Bank.

By threatening not to rescue DB, and refusing to intervene in the discussions re the potential fine, she is saying to the US government "sure, shoot DB, but it'll be you picking up the pieces".

Just a thought.

Would they be OK if it weren't for the fine, or are they still going down even if the US go easy on them?
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    IanB2 said:

weejonnie said:

Alistair said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

I guess you could argue that much of Trump's behaviour and flakiness is already priced in. Given his track record it would require a gaffe of stupendous proportions to significantly change the narrative.
    Maybe, but he definitely slipped last time he went of the reservation.

We will know more by Friday/Sat anyway.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,928

PlatoSaid said:

A surefire vote winner?

It's insane.

I like the strategy Nick. But isn't it true that immigration is least popular where it is lowest?
    So if you direct money to where immigration is high... then you're not really 'helping' the people who are upset about immigration?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Deutsche Bank:

Just a thought.

Would they be OK if it weren't for the fine, or are they still going down even if the US go easy on them?
    The rumoured fine is in the $10-20bn range, so it could easily make the difference.
  • Options
    Mr. Song, 'must be'? I didn't say that.

I forget which terrorist attack it was (it was during the flurry of maybe a dozen in a few weeks) but the BBC used the term 'Arabic phrase' rather than 'Allahu akbar' when reporting one, for which they claimed the motive was a mystery.

Declining trust in the media due to such things is completely understandable.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Deutsche Bank:

Just a thought.

That sounds remarkably shit or bust for a politician.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,541

PlatoSaid said:

A surefire vote winner?

It's insane.

Many of the EU's (UK-inspired) labour laws have helped go some way to create a more flexible labour market (ie easier to hire and fire).

This is simply another manifestation of the neo-liberal elite working together to oppress the masses.

Is Jezza's take on it.
This discussion has been closed.