Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Boundary Review: Round-up

124»

Comments

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Sandpit said:

On topic, I'm likely to have a Labour MP as my member of Parliament.

The horror. THE HORROR.

I'm moving to North Yorkshire.

Wasn't it supposed to be Paris, if the Brexit vote went through?
    Only pro tempore.

I'm spending most of November in Paris thanks to everyone who voted Leave and especially those who want hard Brexit.

You bunch of Mark Recklesses
    Paris is supposed to be one of the great cities on the planet. You should be grateful that you are being given a chance to decide that for yourself. FFS it can't be worse than Manchester or Sheffield.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MP_SE said:

Cameron really is the heir to Blair.

joncraigSKY‏ @joncraig
    A well informed source in Brighton tells me David Cameron & wife Samantha have been dining with Tony & Cherie Blair recently. Interesting!

Not for the first time I find myself agreeing with a Labour Uncut piece. The one on Cameron is sort of how I feel.
    I can't access the fantasy football page, can you tell me where I am in the league standings and where you are?
    I'm in the peloton coasting and waiting to sweep past the foolish early breakaway rider later in the race as he tires dramatically when it matters.

Capoue as captain???? Truly you are in good early season form.
    That was an accident. I replaced Aguero with Capoue and it automatically made him captain as Sergio is my usual skipper.
    Cameron was a lucky leader too - once...
    He'll be PM once again. If Brexit turns into a clusterfuck, we're going to need a government of national unity. Dave is the most egregiously qualified person for the role.

I might do a thread on it.
    From the Lords?
    Possible. I'm sure someone might play the willing role of Gilmour Leburn
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,064
    Blue_rog said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Looks like Engel loses her seat to me

Where are people looking at this info ?
    Election Data have done a layered map with the old and new constituencies superimposed.
    http://election-data.co.uk/boundary-commission-proposals
    I've gone from Shipley to Keithley is that a change of colour?
    Keighley isn't it ?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

I'm spending most of November in Paris thanks to everyone who voted Leave and especially those who want hard Brexit.
    Why?
    We're working on the assumption that we won't get financial passporting.

Always assume the worst and hope for the best is our current strategy.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

joncraigSKY‏ @joncraig
    A well informed source in Brighton tells me David Cameron & wife Samantha have been dining with Tony & Cherie Blair recently. Interesting!

Is "well informed source in Brighton" code for anyone in particular? Surely it does not literally mean both former PMs turned up in Brighton?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,650
    edited September 2016

MP_SE said:

joncraigSKY‏ @joncraig

Is "well informed source in Brighton" code for anyone in particular? Surely it does not literally mean both former PMs turned up in Brighton?
    Peter Mandelson...I mean that man is never know to gossip to journalist about Tories meeting with unsavory characters, and knowing for a fact it is true because he was also there.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

Paris is supposed to be one of the great cities on the planet. You should be grateful that you are being given a chance to decide that for yourself. FFS it can't be worse than Manchester or Sheffield.
    I've been to Paris many times, a city full of French prior cannot be described as great.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

Paris is an unmitigated shithole. A friend of mine who works for JP Morgan said the London employees went on an unofficial strike after a memo saying that some may have to relocate there depending on Brexit terms. Nice to visit and gawk at for a few days, but absolutely horrible to live there, I don't envy TSE.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Theresa May should, when she reflects on it, be feeling rueful that she has lost David Cameron from Parliament. Handled carefully, he might well have proved a vital source of support in tricky votes - useful when you've got a majority of 12.

But he's gone now and the remaining metropolitan Tories in Parliament are likely to be rather less biddable. If it is true that she hadn't spoken to him since taking over his job, that's distinctly careless.

I would find that just incredible. Did she really go to a G20 without speaking to Cameron about the current state of play there? No wonder she had such an uncomfortable time. Foolish and not a little disrespectful.
    Who is Theresa's Willy?
    One version has it that the PM is in thrall to her chief of staff -- heir to Thatcher or heir to Gove?
  • Options
    I can still only see Wales as changed...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

Paris is an unmitigated shithole. A friend of mine who works for JP Morgan said the London employees went on an unofficial strike after a memo saying that some may have to relocate there depending on Brexit terms. Nice to visit and gawk at for a few days, but absolutely horrible to live there, I don't envy TSE.
    Oh good...it isn't just me then that thinks that.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I can still only see Wales as changed...

Looks OK to me, - have you tried dragging the map with your cursor?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,219

Indigo said:

@GuyVerhofstadt
    #Brexit should be delivered before 2019, when EU politics enters into new cycle & the @Europarl_EN starts new mandate.

Guy Verhofstadt ‏@GuyVerhofstadt
    If UK wants access to #SingleMarket, it must also accept the free movement of citizens. Our four freedoms are inseparable.

If he wants for former, he might have to consider his position on the later ;)

Doesn't the US have access to the single market ? Don't recall it being part of freedom of movement.
    The same can be said for South Korea, Japan, Australia, NZ, Chile and god knows how many other countries. This confusion of access and membership is I think quite deliberate.

I become more and more convinced that the UK's best bet is just tell them to get stuffed and drop back to WTO rules, remove ourselves from all EU institutions and then start negotiating for real once we are out.
    You think the European Parliament will vote to approve our departure on those terms?
    If the European Parliament don't like it what are they going to do? Invade?
    They will pull out the Hotel California card: you can play your Article 50 any time you like - but you can never leave.
  • Options

Indigo said:

@GuyVerhofstadt
    #Brexit should be delivered before 2019, when EU politics enters into new cycle & the @Europarl_EN starts new mandate.

If UK wants access to #SingleMarket, it must also accept the free movement of citizens. Our four freedoms are inseparable.

Doesn't the US have access to the single market ? Don't recall it being part of freedom of movement.
    The same can be said for South Korea, Japan, Australia, NZ, Chile and god knows how many other countries. This confusion of access and membership is I think quite deliberate.

I become more and more convinced that the UK's best bet is just tell them to get stuffed and drop back to WTO rules, remove ourselves from all EU institutions and then start negotiating for real once we are out.
    You think the European Parliament will vote to approve our departure on those terms?
    They will pull out the Hotel California card: you can play your Article 50 any time you like - but you can never leave.
    Hmm, surely we would just repeal the Single European Act and European Communities Act if they tried to force us to stay in? A little bit unilateral but it would get the job done.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Why?

Always assume the worst and hope for the best is our current strategy.
    Sounds like PBers and AV threads.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,228
    edited September 2016

@Philip_Thompson The Conservative majority is 12. One can do all kinds of calculations of practical majorities based on Sinn Fein not voting, the DUP being supportive and Frank Field deciding to have a complete aberration one morning, but the Conservative majority is 12.

No it is not as Sinn Fein are not eligible to vote. Even if Sinn Fein oppose a policy they can no more vote against than you or I. So it's 16.
    Of course they can, it's simple. Turn up in Parliament, swear the Oath, take their seats on the green benches and vote on anything they please.
  • Options
    http://www.bce2018.org.uk/node/6490 is the link which noone provided...
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

You, Max, and I are in full agreement. Paris is the Jade Dernbach of cities.
  • Options

What you were claiming upthread was that people who had already got to a safe country weren't refugees. This is false. The fact that it is false doesn't imply the alternative definition you just suggested.

I don't know who you think is advocating providing a home for every single refugee or migrant who wants to come (wherever). Where I came in was that someone was claiming that was Merkel's policy, which it isn't.

However, what Merkel is doing is taking in more refugees than she would be technically obliged to under the treaties. Specifically, she could tell people who had got to Turkey or Hungary to go back to those countries. But if the numbet of refugees Germany is taking in is supposed to be unsustainable, that goes 10x or 100x for the poorer countries she's supposed to be sending them back to.

Japan could always volunteer to take a few hundred thousand.
    I agree, they should.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2016
    Paris is great to live in. For a start, accomodation in or near the centre is easier to come by than in London. Transport is good and less expensive than London. Restaurants, if not quite as spectacular as they used to be, are still amongst the best on the planet, even if London has largely caught up. Theatre is a bit moderate, admittedly, and music not on London's level. But then there are still proper butchers and food markets, and it's a very walkable city.

Having said that, I think France is suffering from a bit of a crisis of confidence at the moment, which shows in many different ways. But that will change, eventually, just as the UK's 70s state of inertia, strife and depression eventually was swept away.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Pulpstar said:

Blue_rog said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Looks like Engel loses her seat to me

Where are people looking at this info ?
    Election Data have done a layered map with the old and new constituencies superimposed.
    http://election-data.co.uk/boundary-commission-proposals
    I've gone from Shipley to Keithley is that a change of colour?
    Keighley isn't it ?
    Yes, can't spell :grin:
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

Definitely not, eventually the memo was retracted and called a mistake. There is real and serious resistance in London among the workers to moving to Paris or Frankfurt and the Dutch or Irish wouldn't be able to stand behind the trillions in liabilities generated by the City in the same way the UK, France or Germany could. It's a real quandary. One which I expect will be solved by very little changing and banks just adjusting to not being in the passporting zone.
  • Options
    East Kent
    Looking at my patch-The old Thanet South seat (Craig Mckinlay) will gain much of Margate and loose Sandwich and many villages-this will make it a much more attractive seat fro Labour
    Deal + Dover -Charlie Elphicke has been a very lucky boy-he has gained Sandwich and many Tory villages-this is now a very safe seat for the Conservatives.
    Canterbury- Julian Brazier he has some Labour areas around Whitstable but gained labour areas around some of the old pit villages-although Aylesham is rapidly changing so probably not too bad from his point of view -especially as he gains some villages around the Faversham area-I need to look further but overall I am not sure he will be very happy.

Overall the Conservatives have a much safer Dover Deal seat at the expense of possibly making Thanet a good shout for Labour.
  • Options

Indigo said:

@GuyVerhofstadt

It doesn't work like that. Once Article 50 is invoked then we leave after 2 years whether there is a deal or not unless the other countries all agree to extend negotiations. The European Parliament has no control over that specific bit of the process and certainly can't stop a country leaving by the due process once Article 50 is invoked.
  • Options

Paris is great to live in. For a start, accomodation in or near the centre is easier to come by than in London. Transport is good and less expensive than London. Restaurants, if not quite as spectacular as they used to be, are still amongst the best on the planet, even if London has largely caught up. Theatre is a bit moderate, admittedly, and music not on London's level. But then there are still proper butchers and food markets, and it's a very walkable city.

Having said that, I think France is suffering from a bit of a crisis of confidence at the moment, which shows in many different ways. But that will change, eventually, just as the UK's 70s state of inertia and depression eventually was swept away.

Paris, more than any city I've been to in Europe, has a them vs us feel. That's what makes it awful. It has an atmosphere of elites vs plebs.

Zone 1/2 London is the ideal city for me, and zone 4 London is the ideal suburban zone for having a family. Though I guess I'm very lucky to own property in zone 2.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Quite strong suggestions from Laura Kuensberg on the BBC that the Boundary changes are unlikely to be approved.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2016
    Labour logic: we don't want boundaries that are 2 years out of date, so we'll stick with the boundaries that are 20 years out of date.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Zone 1/2 London is the ideal city for me, and zone 4 London is the ideal suburban zone for having a family. Though I guess I'm very lucky to own property in zone 2.''

The make up of central London totally confuses me. On the one hand I read nobody can afford a shed there, and on the other hand it has tons of extremely poor people.

Go figure.
  • Options

Indigo said:

@GuyVerhofstadt

It doesn't work like that. Once Article 50 is invoked then we leave after 2 years whether there is a deal or not unless the other countries all agree to extend negotiations. The European Parliament has no control over that specific bit of the process and certainly can't stop a country leaving by the due process once Article 50 is invoked.
    So the vote of the European Parliament on the matter has no status? I mean, it would be egregious if they were in the mix to any extent, but (my MEP told me) they do have to vote on the proposals. We just ignore it if they say "Non!" That would have a certain appealing symmetry...
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

No. It is indeed a grotty toilet with one or two jewels attached.
  • Options

Indigo said:

@GuyVerhofstadt

So the vote of the European Parliament on the matter has no status? I mean, it would be egregious if they were in the mix to any extent, but (my MEP told me) they do have to vote on the proposals. We just ignore it if they say "Non!" That would have a certain appealing symmetry...
    I think the proposals for trade require some kind of approval by the EUparl, if they aren't approved then we go back to them with a few token changes and it gets approved. Sort of like how they normally treat referenda.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,747
    justin124 said:

Quite strong suggestions from Laura Kuensberg on the BBC that the Boundary changes are unlikely to be approved.

Is she genuinely saying that they won't get approved - or just that they are unlikely to be approved in their current form (As this are simply the initial provisional proposals and will almost certainly be changed, in some places extensively, before the final recommendations are placed before parliament).
  • Options
    Virtually zero change with Hertsmere, although we gain a bit of South Oxhey which is a crap hole.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

The reasons for an early election are mounting up, aren't they?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

the Dutch or Irish wouldn't be able to stand behind the trillions in liabilities generated by the City in the same way the UK, France or Germany could.

I've always had to stand behind my own liabilities whilst gambling/investing, shouldn't Citicorp, JP Morgan and the other 'banks' ?
  • Options

Virtually zero change with Hertsmere, although we gain a bit of South Oxhey which is a crap hole.

Was it in SW Herts before? Maybe Hertsmere will do more for South Oxhey than SW Herts did.
  • Options

Mr. Tokyo, if a government under a new PM wishes to move in a way directly contrary (not just different, but the opposite) to the last manifesto, I'd support a swiftly held election, although that's not required legally and not permitted practically by the current nonsense of the Fixed Term Parliament Act.

Not this canard again. It is permitted by getting two-thirds of MPs in the Commons to set a new date for an election, which given oppositions can't realistically vote against an early vote means simply choosing a new date and putting it to the Commons.

Only if the government will oppose an early vote (or the opposition can become the government without one) can an early election not be held. It makes no difference to majority governments only minority or coalition ones.
    If the Opposition does not want an election it can easily find reasons to justify not supporting such a vote - particularly as the Govt introduced the FTA in the last Parliament. Abstention would be sufficient to block any attempt to call an early election without a No Confidence Vote being passed.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Patrick said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

Me too - grubby.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Lennon said:

justin124 said:

Is she genuinely saying that they won't get approved - or just that they are unlikely to be approved in their current form (As this are simply the initial provisional proposals and will almost certainly be changed, in some places extensively, before the final recommendations are placed before parliament).
    Possibly the former, although it is unlikely. The Lords are likely to try to block the changes, mainly because of the problems with the electoral register, and it is possible that a few Tory MPs will break ranks for their own reasons, but unless all the NI MPs vote no it's hard to believe that the government won't get the new seats through in the end.
  • Options
    I join Esher and Walton (as does John O?). I hope Dominic Raab is still my MP.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

Me too - grubby.
    You're too harsh on yourself....
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Zone 1/2 London is the ideal city for me, and zone 4 London is the ideal suburban zone for having a family. Though I guess I'm very lucky to own property in zone 2.''

The make up of central London totally confuses me. On the one hand I read nobody can afford a shed there, and on the other hand it has tons of extremely poor people.

Go figure.

Council housing. Not many lower-middle class people can afford to live in London these days.
  • Options
    Lennon said:

justin124 said:

Her article is on the BBC website - but she refers to comments made by sources within the Government and hints that May not be averse to abandoning them.
  • Options
    If it's about ensuring every vote counts equally, why are we setting boundaries based on registered electors? We should be setting them based on historic turnout.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

Me too - grubby.
    You tinker.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Go figure.

Er, council flats; private tenants in unimproved properties; immigants living six to a room...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

taffys said:

Go figure.

Council housing. Not many lower-middle class people can afford to live in London these days.
    More council housing, and free market value rents imo.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Labour logic: we don't want boundaries that are 2 years out of date, so we'll stick with the boundaries that are 20 years out of date.

Not logic. Political logic.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Was it in SW Herts before? Maybe Hertsmere will do more for South Oxhey than SW Herts did.
    Looking at the map it seems that it is split between SW Herts and Watford. South Oxhey voted BNP in the county elections a few years ago. I think concreting over the place is probably the fairest solution.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

Me too - grubby.
    You tinker.
    Are we allowed to still say that? Isn't it a bit, well, "tinkerist"?
  • Options

What you were claiming upthread was that people who had already got to a safe country weren't refugees. This is false. The fact that it is false doesn't imply the alternative definition you just suggested.

I don't know who you think is advocating providing a home for every single refugee or migrant who wants to come (wherever). Where I came in was that someone was claiming that was Merkel's policy, which it isn't.

However, what Merkel is doing is taking in more refugees than she would be technically obliged to under the treaties. Specifically, she could tell people who had got to Turkey or Hungary to go back to those countries. But if the numbet of refugees Germany is taking in is supposed to be unsustainable, that goes 10x or 100x for the poorer countries she's supposed to be sending them back to.

Japan could always volunteer to take a few hundred thousand.
    I agree, they should.
    Hardly. They're already keeping people in draws as it is.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

Me too - grubby.
    You tinker.
    Are we allowed to still say that? Isn't it a bit, well, "tinkerist"?
    Oh bugger - I've culturally appropriated pan fixing men persons
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Pulpstar said:

I can only see Wales on the map with redrawn boundaries.

There's some interesting ones in my neck of the woods.

Zero number crunching here just "feel", I'd say Cardiff South and East very solid labour, Cardiff West solid Labour, Cardiff North probably more Tory than now so all a holds. The "two Vale of Glam seats" East and West both look marginal to me. The eastern one has got posh Penarth, and very posh eastern Vale as the bread slices with a (not posh) Barry filling, the Western one has got Bridgend/Porthcawl/and western Vale all lumped in as an interesting mix).

Overall I suspect the Tories are not doing very well out of Wales' review, and are likely to lose not far off the same number as Labour (4/5ish v 5/6ish?), as it doesn't look like the marginals will really work well for them, even if several Labour seats, especially up the Valleys, are simply rubbed off the map as the numbers don't add up. However, 29 down from 40 shows how Old Sarum with leeks we've become really.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Cyclefree

'Verhofstadt is in any case wrong: the 4 freedoms have not always been inseparable. Capital was not for instance free to move pre the removal of exchange controls in Britain in 1979 even though we had been subject to the Treaty of Rome since 1973.'

If Verhofstadt is so hung up on free movement then we can swap the 3.2 million EU nationals currently living in the UK for the 1.2 million UK nationals living in the EU ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

taffys said:

Go figure.

More council housing, and free market value rents imo.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-1323535/Social-housing-reform-Council-rent-74-week-private-rent-280.html

I'm guessing rents are higher than 280 now - anyway I reckon the council should up their rents and reinvest the cash generated in more housing !
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,905
    MaxPB said:

I think the proposals for trade require some kind of approval by the EUparl, if they aren't approved then we go back to them with a few token changes and it gets approved. Sort of like how they normally treat referenda.

I am pretty sure the procedure is different for Article 50 negotiations and treaty changes after we have left. Article 50, which aims to produce a "withdrawal agreement" within 2 years, is negotiated by the European Council (ie the heads of governments) with the final acceptance or rejection by the parliament. Treaty changes have a "Parliament Act" style route from to the Commission (the admin function lead by Juncker), to the European Parliament then to the Council then back again. The final act has to be ratified the EU Parliament again and all 27 other states in the national parliaments.

The more we can get into the withdrawal agreement the better for us.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

Many French would agree. They might feel privileged to live there, but they find it very hard to enjoy the privilege.
  • Options
    Anthony Wells's estimates:

Con 320
    Lab 204
    LD 4
    Greens 0

Con maj: 40

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

Paris isn't any worse than London for general big city issues, and nowhere near as overpriced. What exactly makes you think it's so shit to live in?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

http://www.bce2018.org.uk/node/6490 is the link which noone provided...

I prefer the old-fashioned maps (which you can download) e.g. http://s3.helpfulclients.com/bce/West-Midlands-Initial-proposals-regional-map.pdf

They're all listed (and the reports) at http://boundarycommissionforengland.independent.gov.uk/2018-review/ip-england/
  • Options
    Down to her being Scottish I'm sure..

https://twitter.com/MartynMcL/status/775653164502712324
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    If anyone has £1300 burning a hole in their pocket Joe Biden is available to lay at 34.0 for £36 tax free return in just under two months (POTUS).
    £127 @ 36.0 and £533 @ 38.0 also available.

Edit: You don't even need to worry about Obama falling under a bus, the market rules are for PROJECTED president on November 8th.

Even if Hillary drops out it won't be Biden methinks.
  • Options
    Dylan Sharpe
    McDonnell singles out the Guardian & BBC as part of "the establishment" out to get him https://t.co/73WXqtD7MR https://t.co/mqCliKjist
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Dylan Sharpe
    McDonnell singles out the Guardian & BBC as part of "the establishment" out to get him https://t.co/73WXqtD7MR https://t.co/mqCliKjist

Only Morning Star and Press TV can be trusted....
  • Options

Is it just me, or is bce2018.org.uk as slow as molasses in the ice age?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

Definitely not, eventually the memo was retracted and called a mistake. There is real and serious resistance in London among the workers to moving to Paris or Frankfurt and the Dutch or Irish wouldn't be able to stand behind the trillions in liabilities generated by the City in the same way the UK, France or Germany could. It's a real quandary. One which I expect will be solved by very little changing and banks just adjusting to not being in the passporting zone.
    My friend in Deutsche says the same. No one wants to go.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

Is this the same friend that piled on remain ?
  • Options
    The proposals are very interesting but like the previous ones they won't go through. May has a majority of 12 (16!) on paper, but in practice I'd question if she has a majority at all. Remember that under the "leadership" of the Steward of the Manor of Northstead the government was repeatedly defeared and even had its queen speech amended. Since then May has brutalised the Cameroon clique and has massive constitutional change to drive through. And the Lords of course remain extremely hostile.

So why would this go through? Sanity and political expediency will kill it. A boundary review on a cut down "electoral commission said don't do it" register that's already 2m below current will be torn apart on accuracy grounds. Yes the old boundaries are old but the new ones are silly. And with population growth and an explosion in members of the Other Place it seems hardly democratic.

She'll drop it. Blame Cameron again. Go to the country. At which point the boundary dries won't matter as she'll win a big majority anyway
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

Do they even need to? They could just have a small satellite office while all the real work is done in London.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

Yup. He's been very humble and deferential to me since.

To be fair, he wasn't alone.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

Judging by the stock market and sterling, the rest of the bank (And the rest) were betting the same way too...
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

John_M said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

No rise in inflation, everything lower than expected.

I've had a poke around in the figures and there doesn't appear to be any nasties lurking about in the small print. Of course, a lot of companies will have hedges against currency movements, which will unwind over the next year or so.
    There is a significant rise in input costs at 7.6% but the explanation that that is mainly as a result of prior falls in oil falling out of the 12 month reckoning is entirely credible. Inflation will continue to rise but even the 2% target looks a bit away yet.
    So since Brexit we have exports rising, the stock market rising and inflation under control.

The sky is falling though.
    Except that we have not yet had Brexit and the uncertainty may well be affecting investment. I was at a party for a firm of solicitors at the end of last week. Their corporate partner said that he had 3 deals which were put on hold with Brexit and are still on hold. They may come back but the uncertainty is an issue. I have heard similar tales from other corporate lawyers.

I can understand politically why May is not in any rush to define Brexit or to have serious discussions but economically it is not great. I really think the government should get on with it.
    Someone at a magic circle firm told me the other day that most of the deals that had been put on hold on 23/6 are now back on.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

Just think, if it wasn't for people like him, none of us would have done as well out of the result.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

Do they even need to? They could just have a small satellite office while all the real work is done in London.
    I think it's a problem if London wants to remain the eurozone clearing house for the EU but, personally, I don't think the financial passport alone is going to make or break the City.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

Just think, if it wasn't for people like him, none of us would have done as well out of the result.
    The same people seem to have moved to backing Joe Biden for pres :p
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

I haven't rubbed it in. Much.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

I haven't rubbed it in. Much.
    Was it YouGov who gave Remain a 10pt lead on 23rd? I just associate the whole shitstorm with Andrew Cooper. How could he be so wrong?
  • Options

new thread

• Options
    edited September 2016
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,228
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The horror. THE HORROR.

Only pro tempore.

Judging by the stock market and sterling, the rest of the bank (And the rest) were betting the same way too...
    Knowing that it was a wunch of bankers on the other side just makes the 8/1 and 7/1 winning bets on Brexit even better.
This discussion has been closed.