Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Boundary Review: Round-up

SystemSystem Posts: 11,711
edited September 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Boundary Review: Round-up

Thinking that God might be Jewish after all. Or at least have a Jewish sense of humour. #boundaryreview https://t.co/uwCqZz4qVc

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Surely not? First?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Edged out. Like Corbyn in the boundary review...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,432
    Congratulations.

Isn't that a brilliantly Blackadderish photograph of Osborne?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Nowhere....like many sitting MPs.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Edged out. Like Corbyn in the boundary review...

I may as well quit for the day, I've peaked early.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,528
    edited September 2016
    Sixth like UkIP
  • Options
    @LadPolitics: Oh no. Boundary commission is moving me into Dulwich & West Norwood from the much cooler Camberwell & Vauxhall Bridge.
  • Options
    FPT:

I think the new tighter 5% thresholds are a much more significant constraint on where the lines get drawn - given that almost everywhere wards are used as building blocks, there are only so many ways that they can be combined to keep every seat within the +/- limits, and looking at a few areas it is clear that a lot of strange combinations are being proposed in order to justify the numbers. The predominance of the arithmetic over sensible local areas is a disappointing aspect of the revised approach.

It also seems to me that the Commission has taken the approach of, firstly, dividing each region into a number of sub-regions, generally blocks of neighbouring authorities within whatever clear natural boundaries exist within each region and then, secondly, worked in from the edges of each sub-region, trying to maintain the existing seats and topping them up as necessary by robbing wards from the seats towards the centre of the sub region. This means that, if your seat abuts the boundary of a sub region it isn't generally hugely changed, whereas in the middle of each sub region existing seats disappear altogether, and quite often whatever wards are then left over are lumped together in a final seat that makes no real sense in community terms whatsoever.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,973
    10th, like Labour in the Witney by-election.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    "Many more Conservative seats affected than expected".

Am I experiencing a sense of deja vu here? Why should this have been unexpected when wasn't this exactly the outcome when the previous proposals were published in the last Parliament before they were kyboshed by the LibDems? Stupid seats all over the place cutting across local and natural boundaries. Virtually every seat affected to a lesser or greater extent.
  • Options

Freggles said:

"The climate has changed before"

http://xkcd.com/1732/

Another example of obsession with the first two questions of climate change whilst ignoring the last two.

The four questions are:

(1) Is the climate changing?
    (2) Are humans responsible?
    (3) Is it a bad thing?
    (4) Can we make changes to stop it?

Only if all four answered are "yes" should we take the economy-devastating measures that are suggested.

The current status of the four questions is:

(1) Yes. Climate stability is impossible.
    (2) Almost certainly yes, we are a factor. Quite likely we are not the only factor.
    (3) This question is never addressed. It is often assumed, but that's not the same thing.
    (4) If "we" is the whole world, possibly. If "we" is the UK alone, no.
    5) Is there no better alternative than stopping it?

If it costs £100bn to stop a problem but £10bn to get used to mitigate its effects, then stopping it may not be economical.

Not suggesting that's the case but its a question that should be asked.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The news stories about the presidential candidate's charitable foundation are really starting to get bad, Trump's that is. Illegal political donations, buying gifts for Trump, phantom donations it's going to be a PR disaster.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

FPT:

I think the new tighter 5% thresholds are a much more significant constraint on where the lines get drawn - given that almost everywhere wards are used as building blocks, there are only so many ways that they can be combined to keep every seat within the +/- limits, and looking at a few areas it is clear that a lot of strange combinations are being proposed in order to justify the numbers. The predominance of the arithmetic over sensible local areas is a disappointing aspect of the revised approach.

It also seems to me that the Commission has taken the approach of, firstly, dividing each region into a number of sub-regions, generally blocks of neighbouring authorities within whatever clear natural boundaries exist within each region and then, secondly, worked in from the edges of each sub-region, trying to maintain the existing seats and topping them up as necessary by robbing wards from the seats towards the centre of the sub region. This means that, if your seat abuts the boundary of a sub region it isn't generally hugely changed, whereas in the middle of each sub region existing seats disappear altogether, and quite often whatever wards are then left over are lumped together in a final seat that makes no real sense in community terms whatsoever.

Which is why these changes won't happen.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

FPT:

To be brutally honest, 'community terms' really makes no difference at all to an elector. They are really not affected by the make-up of the constituency. It doesn't matter to a voter who else their MP is representing as long as they are being represented effectively.

I live in Oxford West and Abingdon. It is a very mixed constituency with all sorts of different housing types and population groups. Does that matter? Only if the MP isn't doing their job of staying in touch with their constituents and not representing them properly.

This has been the case in the vast majority of places I have lived.

A constituency is a compromise - and this time they are being drawn up so that we have a far great degree of fairness than ever before. It is ludicrous to have a system where the variation between constituency sizes was so great. It is fundamentally undemocratic.

The goal of giving each vote equal weight is the right aim. Not preserving some ill-defined 'community' based on wards.
  • Options
    @election_data: OK, I've put up a [very quick] interactive map. Click 'visible layers' to see old/new boundaries, use zoom etc: https://t.co/TlNN8SSbiB
  • Options
    edited September 2016

IanB2 said:

FPT:

To be brutally honest, 'community terms' really makes no difference at all to an elector. They are really not affected by the make-up of the constituency. It doesn't matter to a voter who else their MP is representing as long as they are being represented effectively.

I live in Oxford West and Abingdon. It is a very mixed constituency with all sorts of different housing types and population groups. Does that matter? Only if the MP isn't doing their job of staying in touch with their constituents and not representing them properly.

A constituency is a compromise - and this time they are being drawn up so that we have a far great degree of fairness than ever before. It is ludicrous to have a system where the variation between constituency sizes was so great. It is fundamentally undemocratic.

The goal of giving each vote equal weight is the right aim. Not preserving some ill-defined 'community' based on wards.
    It is nevertheless much easier to represent an area as a local representative if it makes some sort of sense in community terms, not least because other organisations from councils through community groups, emergency services, health etc etc. are generally organised around recognisable communities. If you are an MP or councillors with a ward or constituency that straddles different communities it simply multiples the number of agencies and organisations that you have to deal with. So whilst it may not make so much difference to the voter, I suggest that representation is still more effective if seats reflect 'sensible' areas rather than randomly aggregated batches of wards that just happen to balance with some arbitrary number.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Alistair said:

The news stories about the presidential candidate's charitable foundation are really starting to get bad, Trump's that is...

And still he's going to run it close, or, if I am right, just win it in EC votes.

Shows just how weak a candidate HRC appears to be...
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The news stories about the presidential candidate's charitable foundation are really starting to get bad, Trump's that is. Illegal political donations, buying gifts for Trump, phantom donations it's going to be a PR disaster.

You're kidding? Trump was always upfront about buying political influence - it's part of his platform to be poacher turned gamekeeper.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

This means that, if your seat abuts the boundary of a sub region it isn't generally hugely changed, whereas in the middle of each sub region existing seats disappear altogether, and quite often whatever wards are then left over are lumped together in a final seat that makes no real sense in community terms whatsoever.

It is nevertheless much easier to represent an area as a local representative if it makes some sort of sense in community terms, not least because other organisations from councils through community groups, emergency services, health etc etc. are generally organised around recognisable communities. If you are an MP or a councillors with a ward or constituency that straddles different communities it simply multiples the number of agencies and organisations that you have to deal with. So whilst it may not make so much difference to the voter, I suggest that representation is still more effective if seats reflect 'sensible' areas rather than randomly aggregated batches of wards that just happen to balance with some arbitrary number.
    But they aren't random. They are still geographically linked. And it is in no way arbitrary to want every constituency to be made up of a broadly similar number of voters so that each vote has the same weight.

It is utterly wrong for the system to be so unbalanced at the moment. Making 'community' (whatever that means) the basis for making these changes would be wrong.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

I hope the boundaries do get changed. Keeping them the same for either partisan advantage regardless of demographic change, or to keep incumbents happy is not satisfactory.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited September 2016
    How curious, Clinton kept pneumonia secret.

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-09-13/hillary-clinton-feeling-so-much-better-after-pneumonia-health-episode-at-9-11-memorial/

Noticed one free rag (Metro) claiming Putin and Trump were poisoning her.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Alistair said:

You're kidding? Trump was always upfront about buying political influence - it's part of his platform to be poacher turned gamekeeper.
    He claimed he bought political influence, the issue is the Trump foundation using other people's money to make political donations.

Trump hasn't put any money into the charity for years.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

IanB2 said:

FPT:

I t also seems to me that the Commission has taken the approach of, firstly, dividing each region into a number of sub-regions, generally blocks of neighbouring authorities within whatever clear natural boundaries exist within each region and then, secondly, worked in from the edges of each sub-region, trying to maintain the existing seats and topping them up as necessary by robbing wards from the seats towards the centre of the sub region. This means that, if your seat abuts the boundary of a sub region it isn't generally hugely changed, whereas in the middle of each sub region existing seats disappear altogether, and quite often whatever wards are then left over are lumped together in a final seat that makes no real sense in community terms whatsoever.

Also, with respect, you are looking at this from the point of view of the voter who just sits at home and goes to work, and is not otherwise involved in their local community. If you were also Chair of Anytown Chamber of Commerce, Rotary Club, CAB, Women's' Institute, Beekeping Society or whatever, it is clearly better for you to have one MP to represent your town and to lobby, than to have your town sub-divided into bits between two or three MPs who also have parts of other towns to represent.
  • Options
    Busy day, but just had a quick gander at proposals relating to the three seats I've campaigned in in Dorset. Poole and South Dorset largely static, MD and NP has quite significant changes. From local by elections adding Kinson doesn't take away much of the Tory maj, and the mc demographic of broadstone is only increasing. Add in the elderly of Ferndown and I think we're going to keep Dorset all blue...
  • Options

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Completely agree.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Election Data
    Loss of Great Grimsby means Labour won't have a seat on the coast between Hull and Brighton.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

I t also seems to me that the Commission has taken the approach of, firstly, dividing each region into a number of sub-regions, generally blocks of neighbouring authorities within whatever clear natural boundaries exist within each region and then, secondly, worked in from the edges of each sub-region, trying to maintain the existing seats and topping them up as necessary by robbing wards from the seats towards the centre of the sub region. This means that, if your seat abuts the boundary of a sub region it isn't generally hugely changed, whereas in the middle of each sub region existing seats disappear altogether, and quite often whatever wards are then left over are lumped together in a final seat that makes no real sense in community terms whatsoever.

Also, with respect, you are looking at this from the point of view of the voter who just sits at home and goes to work, and is not otherwise involved in their local community. If you were also Chair of Anytown Chamber of Commerce, Rotary Club, CAB, Women's' Institute, Beekeping Society or whatever, it is clearly better for you to have one MP to represent your town and to lobby, than to have your town sub-divided into bits between two or three MPs who also have parts of other towns to represent.
    Why? If you have 3 MPs with an interest that seems to improve your chance of successful lobbying rather than diminishing them. And all the more so if they are of different parties.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

FPT:

First past the post inevitably means some votes are more valuable than others, but we keep it because we value the representation of geographic communities. So to have such a tight 5% parameter makes little sense. 10% or even 8% would make if much easier to create more suitable boundaries.
  • Options
    Each vote gets equal weight but each constituency does not get equal representation.
  • Options
    If I had a deep bank roll I would be laying the crap out of Biden right now.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Let's look at those groups

There are 52 accredited Chambers of Commerce in the UK - representing only 92000 businesses. No constituency link there at all.

Rotary Clubs are made up of people who come together from all over a locality - many different wards and constituencies. The same is true for many of the other 'community' organisations you cite.

What any voter (and community group) wants it a good MP, the exact limits of the geographical area they cover matters not.

As regards to the needs of a voter - yes, they should be paramount. Many, many people work in a completely different constituency to the one in which they live. Does that mean they should get a vote in the one where they live and another where they work? Not at all.

Equal constituency size is absolutely the right basis for drawing up an electoral map. I have heard no argument that will change my view on that.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@LadPolitics: Oh no. Boundary commission is moving me into Dulwich & West Norwood from the much cooler Camberwell & Vauxhall Bridge.

Is this the first time a civil engineering structure has had its own constituency?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    edited September 2016
    Well, the proposals eliminate the most glaring stupidity in my current home constituency, and suggest naming it after my hometown, (though that was tried before and nixed) so I declare them a roaring success.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    If the aim is for equal vote weights, why not simply divide up the country alphabetically. The first 1/600 in the alphabet get the A1 MP, etc.

And yes, I'm being facetious, but we've now gone further and further down the road of trying to satisfy having one MP per however-many people, having an MP to represent a natural constituency of people, having a single MP for single constituencies, having a democratic system that at least sort of links the number of votes a party gets with its representation, and having the ability to have majority rule on only a plurality of the vote. So we've ended up with constituencies that really aren't natural collections of people - if we have no idea which collection we're in, it's hardly a natural and intuitive gathering, is it? And the part of linking votes to representation - well, that's the starting point for all the screaming from one side, or the other, or occasionally both

We could sidestep a lot of the boundaries issue by simply having multiple MPs for counties and/or unitary areas. You know, sort of like the way it all started?

You could also make it so that if a party gets, say, half the votes in Oxfordshire, they get half the MPs in Oxfordshire. Intuitive and easy to understand, and you're far more likely to have a county MP of the Party you voted for.
  • Options
    Fairness and first past the post. LOL

All our current voting system does is prevent millions of peole having their views represented in Parliament. If that were not the case maybe more of our fellow citizens would engage and would not feel so estranged from the political process.

This is the system we have. It is not going to change, but let's not pretend that getting 90% of seats for 50% of the votes is fair.
  • Options
    It occurs to me that just about every ward of the new Streatham and Mitcham Constituency (which is from chunks of LB Croydon, Merton and Lambeth) is partly or wholly in London SW16.

Have they used postcodes in their deliberations?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    Alistair said:

If I had a deep bank roll I would be laying the crap out of Biden right now.

Back into 34.0 - Hillary feels 'OK' now too...
  • Options
    Jamie Angus
    New NEC member Darren Williams boundary review an opportunity to select MPs 'more in tune with ordinary party members' #r4today
  • Options

IanB2 said:

FPT:

I'm a fan of preserving communities and wards, and of the past generally, where possible, but I'm minded to agree. Population distribution and housing development does not always respect lines on a map about communities and fairness in a system is more important than rigidly trying to adhere to community. We just had some very divisive community boundary reviews round my way, very heated stuff, but people seemed to forget all the existing buildings will still be where they were before. So even if we get some duffers from this review, the goal is worthy.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Speaking as the point of view of a voter who goes to work I would quite appreciate it if my local MP pays more attention to local voters and isn't dominated by vested interests. Your bug seems to be my feature.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

All our current voting system does is prevent millions of peole having their views represented in Parliament. If that were not the case maybe more of our fellow citizens would engage and would not feel so estranged from the political process.

This is the system we have. It is not going to change, but let's not pretend that getting 90% of seats for 50% of the votes is fair.

You'll be telling me you.ve switched to the Lib Dems then....
  • Options

You could also make it so that if a party gets, say, half the votes in Oxfordshire, they get half the MPs in Oxfordshire. Intuitive and easy to understand, and you're far more likely to have a county MP of the Party you voted for.

As has been clearly seen with the regional system for MEP, you completely lose the connection between the voter and the elected member. You need closely defined constituencies - not regions.

Which of the MEPs for the South East of England would be the best one for me to approach on an Oxford issue? I have no idea. It might be Mrs Bearder of the LDs - but that is by no means certain.

Do I know who my local councillors are? Absolutely. Do I know who my MP is? Yep. Does it matter that Jericho is lumped in with parts of Botley at a council level? No. Does it matter that the border between OxWAB and Oxford East is relatively close and that the issue I wish to tackle might also have cross-over? No. I go to my MP.

Regional groups of elected representatives does nothing to promote good representative democracy. It undermines it completely.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Is it? What if you only have one guy and he really hates bees?
  • Options

Given no party has 90% of Westminster's seats it's moot whether its fair or not. Though if 90% of constituencies first preference happens to be the same that is fair, there is no justification to give prizes to all losers here it is meant to be a competitive vote not some "prizes for all" nonsense.
  • Options

I'm not going to say that, I woukd like a more proportional system, but we used to have higher turnout with the same voting system we have now, so how can the voting system be the reason people do not engage? Clearly it's possible to be engaged with FPTP. I'd still prefer another method, but people attribute too many negatives of modern politics to it.

Also turnout has gone up 3 elections in a row, albeit barely last time and from the lowest ebb, so people have been reengaging.

It's possible to get something fairer than now, even if we think a more radical move would be better at making it truly fair. We shouldn't fall into the politicians trap of 'your idea doesn't solve everything, therefore it is useless', or scoff at improvements by degree as if they are nothing.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Then you vote for someone else
  • Options

Given no party has 90% of Westminster's seats it's moot whether its fair or not. Though if 90% of constituencies first preference happens to be the same that is fair, there is no justification to give prizes to all losers here it is meant to be a competitive vote not some "prizes for all" nonsense.

The SNP has 90% of Scottish seats on 50% of the Scottish vote. It totally distorts how Scotland is represented.

• Options

As has been clearly seen with the regional system for MEP, you completely lose the connection between the voter and the elected member. You need closely defined constituencies - not regions.

Which of the MEPs for the South East of England would be the best one for me to approach on an Oxford issue? I have no idea. It might be Mrs Bearder of the LDs - but that is by no means certain.

Do I know who my local councillors are? Absolutely. Do I know who my MP is? Yep. Does it matter that Jericho is lumped in with parts of Botley at a council level? No. Does it matter that the border between OxWAB and Oxford East is relatively close and that the issue I wish to tackle might also have cross-over? No. I go to my MP.

Regional groups of elected representatives does nothing to promote good representative democracy. It undermines it completely.
    Like senators?

Just joshing.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Jamie Angus
    New NEC member Darren Williams boundary review an opportunity to select MPs 'more in tune with ordinary party members' #r4today

Darren clearly does not know that the way Labour candidates for the new constituencies will be selected has already been decided

• Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Then you vote for someone else
    You're kind of SOL if the rest of the voters in the seat aren't exercised about bees though.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@election_data: OK, I've put up a [very quick] interactive map. Click 'visible layers' to see old/new boundaries, use zoom etc: https://t.co/TlNN8SSbiB

That's really good. Red lines are the new boundaries, grey lines the old ones.
  • Options

You're saying that if you had six Oxfordshire MPs you'd not know or care who they were?
    But if you have three local councillors, that's fine?
    Okay.....

You'd probably have three Conservative MPs to choose from, one Labour, one UKIP and one Lib Dem.
    Given that the average person has to look up what constituency they're in and who their MP is when they need them in any case, I don't see this remotely being an issue.

MEP regions represent a huge amount of people in an area where very few people care about what they do.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2016
    kle4 said:

Well, the proposals eliminate the most glaring stupidity in my current home constituency, and suggest naming it after my hometown, (though that was tried before and nixed) so I declare them a roaring success.

Looks like you’ve been kicked out of SW Wiltshire CC? You're now officially a Northerner :lol:
  • Options

If the aim is for equal vote weights, why not simply divide up the country alphabetically. The first 1/600 in the alphabet get the A1 MP, etc.

And yes, I'm being facetious, but we've now gone further and further down the road of trying to satisfy having one MP per however-many people, having an MP to represent a natural constituency of people, having a single MP for single constituencies, having a democratic system that at least sort of links the number of votes a party gets with its representation, and having the ability to have majority rule on only a plurality of the vote. So we've ended up with constituencies that really aren't natural collections of people - if we have no idea which collection we're in, it's hardly a natural and intuitive gathering, is it? And the part of linking votes to representation - well, that's the starting point for all the screaming from one side, or the other, or occasionally both

We could sidestep a lot of the boundaries issue by simply having multiple MPs for counties and/or unitary areas. You know, sort of like the way it all started?

Indeed, it would be much better and easier to maintain sensible boundaries, for example based on counties, city boundaries, and groups of London Boroughs, and then adjust for electorate change by varying the number of representatives. It would avoid all this periodic nonsense of drawing arbitrary lines on maps.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2016

The SNP has 90% of Scottish seats on 50% of the Scottish vote. It totally distorts how Scotland is represented.

Scotland is not Westminster, it is an area, no more, no less. The SNP don't have 90% of Westminster's seats, they have 8.3% of MPs. Either way though in those seats they won their MP was the most popular candidate pure and simple.

Which losers do you think were more popular than the winners and should have taken a seat instead?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Jamie Angus

First non-surprise of the day.

Corbyn and co are going to vote for the changes, as it's the easiest way to allow deselections of the moderate.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,799
    edited September 2016

Scott_P said:

Is this the first time a civil engineering structure has had its own constituency?
    No, the Tyne Bridge had one 1983-2010....and Boothferry 1983-1997
  • Options

Actually, democracy is supposed to be a representation of the views of the "all". That's kind of the point.
  • Options
    Birmingham looks so natural, it's lovely:

• Options
    Proportional representation moves power from the voters to parties, not only in the success or failure of those who seek elected office but, more importantly, in the formation of government.

There have been precious few coalitions in the UK, but in Germany or Israel under PR they happen all the time. Manifesto pledges may be dropped on occasion in the UK but there's clear accountability. In coalition negotiations they're bartered away, bargaining chips for parties to discard negotiating with other parties to determine who the government ought to be [for it is the political class, not the electorate, who decide it].

Proportional representation also leads to party fragmentation. The major parties would splinter into two or three or even more smaller parties to try and vacuum up every vote of a particular niche. It is an abominable system combining the worst aspects of appealing to the mob without the corresponding virtue of giving to the people the choice of government.
  • Options

Actually, democracy is supposed to be a representation of the views of the "all". That's kind of the point.
    No it's not, democracy is supposed to reach a decision where all got a say in that decision, that's kind of the point. If you don't like the decision reached you can try to convince other voters to vote the same way as you next time, you don't get to have the decision reflect your views just because they were unpopular and lost.
  • Options

Lol. The 'winners' under the current system are those parties that just happen to have their votes geographically concentrated - like the SNP or Labour. Your 'losers' are not necessarily those with fewer votes but those parties whose support is spread more evenly, like the LibDems, Greens or UKIP. Where is the justice or fair representation in that?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Indeed, it would be much better and easier to maintain sensible boundaries, for example based on counties, city boundaries, and groups of London Boroughs, and then adjust for electorate change by varying the number of representatives. It would avoid all this periodic nonsense of drawing arbitrary lines on maps.
    Spot on.
    Damn near EVERYONE knows which county, city, or London Borough they live in, and these genuinely are natural constituencies.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Every county, city and borough boundary is an arbitrary line on a map. They are not engraved into our landscape by some independent authority. They are the result of a series of independent (and not coherent) decisions over a long span of history. And they are also not fixed - they never have been and never will be.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Lol. The 'winners' under the current system are those parties that just happen to have their votes geographically concentrated - like the SNP or Labour. Your 'losers' are not necessarily those with fewer votes but those parties whose support is spread more evenly, like the LibDems, Greens or UKIP. Where is the justice or fair representation in that?
    Because they can't convince their neighbours to vote for them. They need to become more popular to win - that's a feature not a bug.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'm not going to say that, I woukd like a more proportional system, but we used to have higher turnout with the same voting system we have now, so how can the voting system be the reason people do not engage? Clearly it's possible to be engaged with FPTP. I'd still prefer another method, but people attribute too many negatives of modern politics to it.

Also turnout has gone up 3 elections in a row, albeit barely last time and from the lowest ebb, so people have been reengaging.

It's possible to get something fairer than now, even if we think a more radical move would be better at making it truly fair. We shouldn't fall into the politicians trap of 'your idea doesn't solve everything, therefore it is useless', or scoff at improvements by degree as if they are nothing.

When we essentially had a two party system FPTP made sense. Now we don't. Thus, we are left with a situation in which 50% of Scottish voters last year are left with three out of 59 MPs to represent their views, if they voted for a party that does not support independence. That is not only bad for them, but for Parliament as a whole - what Scots may think of major issues affecting them and the UK is not reflected.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,042
    edited September 2016

PlatoSaid said:

Jamie Angus

Darren clearly does not know that the way Labour candidates for the new constituencies will be selected has already been decided

I'm sure there is enough time and means for the new NEC to change that rule in the interest of "membership democracy"....
  • Options
    Labour List
    Labour members will choose candidate for Jo Cox’s seat within a fortnight https://t.co/rTZViXc1j1
  • Options

Proportional representation moves power from the voters to parties, not only in the success or failure of those who seek elected office but, more importantly, in the formation of government.

There have been precious few coalitions in the UK, but in Germany or Israel under PR they happen all the time. Manifesto pledges may be dropped on occasion in the UK but there's clear accountability. In coalition negotiations they're bartered away, bargaining chips for parties to discard negotiating with other parties to determine who the government ought to be [for it is the political class, not the electorate, who decide it].

Proportional representation also leads to party fragmentation. The major parties would splinter into two or three or even more smaller parties to try and vacuum up every vote of a particular niche. It is an abominable system combining the worst aspects of appealing to the mob without the corresponding virtue of giving to the people the choice of government.

Well said Sir!
  • Options

kle4 said:

Looks like you’ve been kicked out of SW Wiltshire CC? You're now officially a Northerner :lol:
    Noooooo!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The basis of this review is to look at equality and fairness at the base of the system - at the voter level. Trying to set up a constituency system to be fair in terms of outcome would be utterly wrong.

We have to have a level playing field - each constituency representing the same number of voters. What is wrong with that?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    You were the future once..
  • Options

Morris, under the current system the effective selection of your representative in the majority of 'safe' seats is with a party committee, not the voters. Once the committee's preferred candidate is selected then, barring scandal or once-in-a-generation electoral earthquake, they have a job for life and there is nothing you as an individual voter can do about it. Further, once a party achieves majority power they are - apart from the Lords, about which the less said the better - the party becomes all-powerful and there are none of the checks and balances that you would see under a coalition. Our political parties are some of the strongest in the world and our voters some of the most disenfranchised - the precise opposite of the situation you are attempting to paint.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    edited September 2016

kle4 said:

When we essentially had a two party system FPTP made sense. Now we don't. Thus, we are left with a situation in which 50% of Scottish voters last year are left with three out of 59 MPs to represent their views, if they voted for a party that does not support independence. That is not only bad for them, but for Parliament as a whole - what Scots may think of major issues affecting them and the UK is not reflected.

The MP is there to represent their constituents - not just their own voters. The SNP stronghold will diminish over time - the results last year were not the fault of the constituency system.
  • Options

Scotland is not Westminster, it is an area, no more, no less. The SNP don't have 90% of Westminster's seats, they have 8.3% of MPs. Either way though in those seats they won their MP was the most popular candidate pure and simple.

Which losers do you think were more popular than the winners and should have taken a seat instead?

In a representative democracy voters' views should be represented.

• Options

kle4 said:

That's the Scottish voters informed choice. Let the non-independence parties seek to broaden their appeal and ultimately win back seats. In other words become more popular.

Your solution of rewarding parties for being unpopular is a terrible idea.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Labour List
    Labour members will choose candidate for Jo Cox’s seat within a fortnight https://t.co/rTZViXc1j1

Safe Labour seat there if the others are still not standing. So who do Labour need want to get into Parliament? Ed Balls, David Miliband, Mr Cox?
  • Options

In a representative democracy voters' views should be represented.

Which they are by the most popular candidates not the least popular ones.
  • Options

kle4 said:

To be fair, Labour are to blame for the downfall of the two party system.

Their base does not seem to be holding; probably because its views and interests are no longer represented by the MPs.

I think going back to multi member constituencies is the future, but also that the two party system will return within the next 25 years.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The basis of this review is to look at equality and fairness at the base of the system - at the voter level. Trying to set up a constituency system to be fair in terms of outcome would be utterly wrong.

We have to have a level playing field - each constituency representing the same number of voters. What is wrong with that?
    If you have to have first past the(re isn't a) post then obviously it is better to have constituencies of roughly equal size (although also better that they cover sensible recognisable communities). But the "unfairness" that arises from constituencies being of somewhat different sizes is a drop in the ocean compared to the gross unfairness hard-wired into the system itself, and it is hypocrisy for people to get so worked up about constituency inequality whilst blind to the system's multiple inadequacies.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Their base does not seem to be holding; probably because its views and interests are no longer represented by the MPs.

I think going back to multi member constituencies is the future, but also that the two party system will return within the next 25 years.
    Labour are also to blame for the persistence of the current voting system, having promised to change it and then broken that promise when they got a nice big unjustified majority.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    edited September 2016
    Mr. B2, some seats are more marginal than others. During the course of my voting life, my seat has transformed from a 10,000 vote Labour safe seat to a 500 vote Conservative marginal. The power lies with the electorate. If a third or two-fifths don't bother to turn up, then I have no time for those complaining of safe seats because the problem isn't the constituency but its voters.

I do not think it is a good thing for people to vote mindlessly for one party because they always have (and so did their parents), but nor is it right to censure all those who continually win their seat. I likely would've voted for Gwyneth Dunwoody, had she been a candidate in my seat, because I think she had character, and if she'd won several elections in a row I would've seen that as a positive, not a negative.

Constant churn in every seat would be worse than the situation we have now.

As for checks and balances, this is a wider discussion, though worthy, in which we ought not limit ourselves to the electoral system but the relationship between Crown, Lords and Commons. Sadly, I lack faith in both the intelligence and the objectivity of our politicians when it comes to constitutionally tinkering (we need only look at Labour's Celtic folly to see how well their partisan dreams of perpetual fiefdoms went).

Edited extra bit: Mr. Observer, if we had PR, I do wonder how long it would be before someone like Anjem Choudary[sp] set up a party.
  • Options

Indeed, we've obviously been more successful in representating the people than they have in Germany. Right?

FPTP, as you allude to in your last paragraph, means that the two big parties are uneasy coalitions that are pre-formed, and the politicians do their negotiating away from you and what you may or may not want, to present you with a fait accompli.

Then as long as one side's fait accompli is marginally less demoralising than that of the other, they can take complete power and justify it as representing the people's will.

Whereas under the horribly unrepresentative PR, each niche of the people's will is, as you point out, represented in the open negotiations. As Burke said, we elect representatives, not delegates. We don't elect policies but parties that adhere to specific ideologies and directions, who put forward policy directions. The net result of negotiations should therefore be related to the representative power of each strand of opinion and ideology. That's what PR should afford: the relative strengths of all those areas of the public will would be fairly represented before the negotiations begin. The individual policies of the Government then come out of the net ideological makeup of the representative Parliament, rather than the net ideological makeup of whatever the big party in question decided on before the fact, take it or leave it, if you don't take ours you get Corbyn, you don't want that do you?

By the way, has anyone here heard of the affect heuristic? The one that makes us preferentially find/accentuate/dwell on more positives when analysing proposals that benefit our inherent preferences or side and find/accentuate/dwell on more negatives when analysing proposals that see our side or preference lose out? It would be interesting to see how people line up on their arguments against this :)
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Every county, city and borough boundary is an arbitrary line on a map. They are not engraved into our landscape by some independent authority. They are the result of a series of independent (and not coherent) decisions over a long span of history. And they are also not fixed - they never have been and never will be.
    But the crucial difference is that, when they were drawn, and when they are revised, there is no arbitrary number of people that they are required by law to include.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2016
    Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

The two party system is alive and well across Great Britain.

Since Southam has repeatedly shown he wants to view Scottish MPs in isolation from everyone else with his repeated 90% references we should analyse how many MPs are in the two parties in each nation.

In England 525 out of 533 MPs (98.5%) went to the top two parties.
    In Wales 36 out of 40 MPs (90%) went to the top two parties.
    In Scotland 57 out of 59 MPs (96.6%) went to the top two parties
    Actually in Scotland 56 out of (95%) went to top one party.

The two party system is thriving. It is just that Scotland, like Northern Ireland, no longer votes with England and Wales.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Because MPs represent all their constituents, not just voters.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

If you have to have first past the(re isn't a) post then obviously it is better to have constituencies of roughly equal size (although also better that they cover sensible recognisable communities). But the "unfairness" that arises from constituencies being of somewhat different sizes is a drop in the ocean compared to the gross unfairness hard-wired into the system itself, and it is hypocrisy for people to get so worked up about constituency inequality whilst blind to the system's multiple inadequacies.
    Except what you view as inadequacies we view as features. You've not named a single flaw that isn't solved by a party winning over more voters. I'd rather those we elect need to get more votes not less.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Because MPs represent all their constituents, not just voters.
    I fail to see how that makes them having the same number to represent a problem.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

When was the last time the Tories got over 40% of the vote? I make it 24 years and five general elections ago.

• Options
    Mr. Cooke, how would each strand be fairly represented? Power resides in government, not opposition, so holding office becomes the consequence not of policy but of negotiating skill with one's peers [ahem] in Parliament.

Suppose two parties have 20% each, and six have 10% each. Those six could, under PR, form the government. The two most popular parties could be locked out. And this would be accounted entirely legitimate under PR, where the six losers thwart the two winners. And if those six, having such multi-lateral talks, make a bonfire of the promises, the very strands of opinion you say should be represented, what than can the electorate do?

For five years, nothing whatsoever. You may argue this is no different to the current arrangement, but that neglects to recognise the very nature of PR and inevitable coalitions is to make manifesto pledges less a list of promises, and more a menu from which government policy is selected, not by the electorate, but by the whims of the political class in private negotiations.

In short, there is a ready-made, bullet-proof pretext for throwing away promises that may have won support from the strands of opinion you say should be represented, whereas it is a far more serious and noteworthy thing when a single party majority government decides to throw away manifesto pledges.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Except what you view as inadequacies we view as features. You've not named a single flaw that isn't solved by a party winning over more voters. I'd rather those we elect need to get more votes not less.
    Your rather trite arguments don't do your position any favours. The simple fact is that where a party's voters are currently located makes hugely more difference than how many of them there are in total. It is in fact possible - indeed almost certain - that if UKIP or the LibDems ever got enough votes to score more than both Tory and Labour, they would still be in third place in terms of MPs elected.
  • Options

kle4 said:

That's the Scottish voters informed choice. Let the non-independence parties seek to broaden their appeal and ultimately win back seats. In other words become more popular.

UKIP got four million votes last year. That is not unpopular. That is a hell of a lot of people.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Your rather trite arguments don't do your position any favours. The simple fact is that where a party's voters are currently located makes hugely more difference than how many of them there are in total. It is in fact possible - indeed almost certain - that if UKIP or the LibDems ever got enough votes to score more than both Tory and Labour, they would still be in third place in terms of MPs elected.
    No it is not almost certain. If UKIP or the Lib Dems got enough votes to score more than both Tory and Labour they would likely be in government or at least second party.

Though the system is designed to require a large number of votes locally. That is a deliberate feature. You haven't yet demonstrated why a local loser deserves a seat while the local winner does not.
  • Options

kle4 said:

UKIP got four million votes last year. That is not unpopular. That is a hell of a lot of people.

No its not that many, considering there are 650 constituencies. In how many constituencies were they the most popular candidate? If it were lots of constituencies then they would have lots of MPs. If UKIP want MPs then let them earn them by coming first.
  • Options

Manifesto pledges may be dropped on occasion in the UK

It's not "on occasion", it's routine. They get junked wholesale when either the Prime Minister changes or something happens (Brexit? Goodbye deficit targets, you were only like the entire point of the government...). Something happens quite often, and changing PM in government seems to be happening almost as often as not lately. (Yes, No, No, No, Yes, No, Yes.)
  • Options

kle4 said:

No its not that many, considering there are 650 constituencies. In how many constituencies were they the most popular candidate? If it were lots of constituencies then they would have lots of MPs. If UKIP want MPs then let them earn them by coming first.

I see it as less of a football match, more of a making sure the broad spectrum of voters' views are represented. I guess we won't agree.

• Options

I think the SNP would consider it very unfair. They did far better than that with 50%.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634

kle4 said:

If there was an injustice last time around, it was that UKIP got no representation for the 4m people that voted for them, however, the pressure created by that almost break through directly led to Dave giving us a referendum which has allowed UKIP to achieve their primary aim of leaving the EU.
  • Options
    Mr. Tokyo, if a government under a new PM wishes to move in a way directly contrary (not just different, but the opposite) to the last manifesto, I'd support a swiftly held election, although that's not required legally and not permitted practically by the current nonsense of the Fixed Term Parliament Act.
This discussion has been closed.