Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Vox Populi, Vox Dei, the polling that explains why Mrs May

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,124

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Off topic: The cheeky sods at Sky are sneaking up my bill.

Admit it, you've been watching the naughty shows. :D
    Was £24.90 back in June, heading to £47.40 now...
    But at least you get to watch the fight tomorrow.
    Is it not a box office PPV?
    Yes, even if you've got the full sport package, the boxing tomorrow is a special PPV event.
  • Options
    Foiled Paris attack 'was directed by IS'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37318310

This can't be right....they were just 3 loony tunes on day release...
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    I'm much more interested in May's remarks on Independents and universities than grammar schools.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,050
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, even if you've got the full sport package, the boxing tomorrow is a special PPV event.
    I have zero TV packages, the equivalent from BT or Plusnet would work out at £29.65 - £32/month. I have pointed this out to them and am being transferred between departments...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,603

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes but if you don't have Sky you can't even pay to watch it.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    John_M said:

I'm much more interested in May's remarks on Independents and universities than grammar schools.

What was said on unis?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960

Mortimer said:

Mortimer, Dorset grammar schools only exist in Poole and Bournemouth and all the other schools in those towns are de facto secondary moderns.

Actually Poole Grammar School sounds a bit dodgy:

http://m.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/14204818.Poole_Grammar_School_told_to_improve_by_Ofsted___18_months_after__outstanding__rating/

Maybe Grammar Schools are not a magic bullet...
    Fantastic school, wonderful teachers, great outcomes.

Anyone would think I went there.
    Sounds like trouble at t'mill at present.
    From what I have heard, it was a few problems in a few specific areas. A blip, and a localised one. It is dreadfully underfunded - but until the fairer funding comes in there is little to do about that...

Still has tremendous outcomes, and better than BSG I believe.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Mortimer said:

PClipp said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer, I think you have misunderstood my point.Comprehensive schools only exist in areas without grammar schools.

Nope. I understood your point. But you're wrong. There are comps in Dorset (where also grammars). They don't select on ability.
    I think you need to define your terms, Mr Mortimer. Either you are very confused, or you are confusing us.
    No. People (mostly leftish idealists) think that Comprehensives means 'no grammars here'. It doesn't.

Some of my pals in Poole did very well at Comps. Mostly those with professional parents and a household income of 100k pa who also paid for tuition and numerous out of school activities. My parents were not in the same position, and so I am very grateful for my grammar.
    If that is the best you can come up with as a reply, Mr Mortimer, as an Alumnus of Poole Grammar School, then I think there is a very good case for it to be closed down immediately.

I was on the point of saying something about OFSTED, in defence of Poole Grammar School....
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    wasd said:

Mortimer, I think you have misunderstood my point.Comprehensive schools only exist in areas without grammar schools.

They may not be called Secondary Modern's but that is their status.

My parents took the line that when articulate and ambitious parents move their children out of a school then heaven help the others. They saw maintaining standards and pressing the teachers and management of a school to take academic and disciplinary duties seriously a civic duty and responsibility. They were fully in favour of comprehensives, despite being grammar school educated Conservative voters themselves.

Good schools need good activist parents.
    We shouldn't be using well raised 12 year olds as shock troops in some kind of proxy war on poor parenting.
    How should poor parenting be addressed then? That is a major factor in WWC underperformance.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Mortimer, Dorset grammar schools only exist in Poole and Bournemouth and all the other schools in those towns are de facto secondary moderns.

Actually Poole Grammar School sounds a bit dodgy:

http://m.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/14204818.Poole_Grammar_School_told_to_improve_by_Ofsted___18_months_after__outstanding__rating/

Maybe Grammar Schools are not a magic bullet...
    As someone who has been subject to an Ofsted Inspection, I would venture to suggest that the Ofsted Inspectors are a bunch of tossers and recruited from the ranks of failed teachers who haven't got a clue about education as it happens but who are wedded to outmoded theories and political correctness.
  • Options
    Daily Express reporting an anonymous source as claiming Hilary Clinton is terminally ill with one year expectancy.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The fact a plurality of voters want more grammars and think they are good for social mobility suggests May can win this battle and it will certainly go down well with Tory voters and especially those who might consider UKIP. As for the picture overall some selective areas like Trafford have above average GCSE results so there is no evidence selection harms the average child.

Of course private schools are often the most vocal supporters of comprehensive schools as they reduce the competition, when grammars were at their height many public schools faced a challenging time filling all their places. However with many public schools now offering excellent all round facilities to attract parents and providing bursaries and scholarships which meet the demands May set out, they should not have too much to fear

The public schools are now looking abroad to fill a lot of their vacancies. Plenty of Russians, Chinese, Arabs and Indians who know that it's the world's best education for those who can afford it.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

What was said on unis?
    If universities wish to charge more they'll be expected to setup new Free schools or sponsor a state school. May doesn't believe bursaries are doing enough.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Daily Express reporting an anonymous source as claiming Hilary Clinton is terminally ill with one year expectancy.

:open_mouth:
    Anonymous doctor, supposedly a professor. Not that I trust US doctors not to have a partisan opinion if requested to provide one.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/709081/Hillary-Clinton-health-US-presidential-election-year-vascular-dementia-claim
    https://youtu.be/HoBL7fqOVcQ
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,349
    edited September 2016

Its based on a very dodgy web source. An anon youtube video, where the "expert" claims they don't want to be named as people who criticize the Clinton end up dead.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Mortimer said:

PClipp said:

Mortimer said:

Nope. I understood your point. But you're wrong. There are comps in Dorset (where also grammars). They don't select on ability.
    I think you need to define your terms, Mr Mortimer. Either you are very confused, or you are confusing us.
    No. People (mostly leftish idealists) think that Comprehensives means 'no grammars here'. It doesn't.

Some of my pals in Poole did very well at Comps. Mostly those with professional parents and a household income of 100k pa who also paid for tuition and numerous out of school activities. My parents were not in the same position, and so I am very grateful for my grammar.
    If that is the best you can come up with as a reply, Mr Mortimer, as an Alumnus of Poole Grammar School, then I think there is a very good case for it to be closed down immediately.

I was on the point of saying something about OFSTED, in defence of Poole Grammar School....
    How hard is it to understand? Even in those areas wheeee they are grammar schools, because the tests are not mandatory and not everyone takes them, Comps still exist locally.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,603

I haven't had time to read the whole thread and I'm writing this on my phone in the pub, but as I teach I a grammar school I thought I ought to contribute a comment or two.
    I'd be interested to read the studies some are referring to, but in my experience educational research is very good at confirming the prejudices of the researcher.
    All systems will select using some mechanism. Grammar schools try (with varying degrees of success) to do so by ability rather than the more common ability to pay. They are also the refuge in the state sector of a lot of teachers whose strengths are academic rather than crowd control: many of us would be off either to the independent sector (which would welcome our abolition) or out of teaching entirely.
    I cannot speak for those who teach in the local secondary modern (in all but name) of course.

People often say that rather than messing around with types of school it's "simply" a case of needing more money and resources to be put into the existing structure.

How much more complicated is it?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

wasd said:

My parents took the line that when articulate and ambitious parents move their children out of a school then heaven help the others. They saw maintaining standards and pressing the teachers and management of a school to take academic and disciplinary duties seriously a civic duty and responsibility. They were fully in favour of comprehensives, despite being grammar school educated Conservative voters themselves.

We shouldn't be using well raised 12 year olds as shock troops in some kind of proxy war on poor parenting.
    How should poor parenting be addressed then? That is a major factor in WWC underperformance.

As ever the learned and sagacious Dr. Sox cuts through the crap and gets to the real question.

Too many children are turning up at infants school with no social skills worth the name (some are not even out of nappies) and insufficient language skills to make learning on terms with their well developed peers an impossibility. Those children are on the whole doomed, they never catch up and as a result later on become frustrated and disruptive.

If TM really wants to make an education system that works for everyone then pre-school bottom 10% would be a better place to start than the top 10% at Grammar school age.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

The fact a plurality of voters want more grammars and think they are good for social mobility suggests May can win this battle and it will certainly go down well with Tory voters and especially those who might consider UKIP. As for the picture overall some selective areas like Trafford have above average GCSE results so there is no evidence selection harms the average child.

Of course private schools are often the most vocal supporters of comprehensive schools as they reduce the competition, when grammars were at their height many public schools faced a challenging time filling all their places. However with many public schools now offering excellent all round facilities to attract parents and providing bursaries and scholarships which meet the demands May set out, they should not have too much to fear

The public schools are now looking abroad to fill a lot of their vacancies. Plenty of Russians, Chinese, Arabs and Indians who know that it's the world's best education for those who can afford it.
    I've just had a look at what has happened to private school fees over the last couple of decades...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Anonymous doctor, supposedly a professor. Not that I trust US doctors not to have a partisan opinion if requested to provide one.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/709081/Hillary-Clinton-health-US-presidential-election-year-vascular-dementia-claim
    If Hillary had been told she will die in 2017, you'd think she'd find better things to do with her last months than criss-cross the country grubbing for votes.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

I've just had a look at what has happened to private school fees over the last couple of decades...
    It's something like 10-12% inflation per year.

Edit: Just looked up my alma mater, the fees were £550 a term when I started in 1989, £700 a term when I left in 1996, now £3,696 a term. For a day school :open_mouth:
  • Options
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

What was said on unis?
    If universities wish to charge more they'll be expected to setup new Free schools or sponsor a state school. May doesn't believe bursaries are doing enough.
    That sounds remarkably stupid. Universities should get on with the business of being universities and leave schools alone.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I haven't had time to read the whole thread and I'm writing this on my phone in the pub, but as I teach I a grammar school I thought I ought to contribute a comment or two.
    I'd be interested to read the studies some are referring to, but in my experience educational research is very good at confirming the prejudices of the researcher.
    All systems will select using some mechanism. Grammar schools try (with varying degrees of success) to do so by ability rather than the more common ability to pay. They are also the refuge in the state sector of a lot of teachers whose strengths are academic rather than crowd control: many of us would be off either to the independent sector (which would welcome our abolition) or out of teaching entirely.
    I cannot speak for those who teach in the local secondary modern (in all but name) of course.

People often say that rather than messing around with types of school it's "simply" a case of needing more money and resources to be put into the existing structure.

That's the big advantage of independent schools. Our old head was married to a teacher at a local very academic independent school and he would half-joke that at the number of students opting for a subject where we would be considering not offering it, they would be thinking of making it two sets.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    TOPPING said:

If the structure is one where nonsense dogma means that teaching is dumbed down beyond belief, students aren't steered towards challenging subjects, and there's no proper discipline, lots of shiny new computers and classrooms won't do a lot of good.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

An anonymous doctor who has never examined the patient and makes a speculative diagnosis?

It can only be Dr Nick from the Simpsons...
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Sandpit said:

If Hillary had been told she will die in 2017, you'd think she'd find better things to do with her last months than criss-cross the country grubbing for votes.
    Not that I am buying into this anon doctor expert on youtube, but if your whole life has been geared towards being POTUS, perhaps you would see it as THE thing you wanted to achieve before you die.

Its a bit like saying why don't these billionaires stop working, they don't need the money, surely they could find better use with their time. But most aren't wired like that, being busy, being involved in lots of projects etc is what they want to do every day until they die.
  • Options

wasd said:

As ever the learned and sagacious Dr. Sox cuts through the crap and gets to the real question.

Too many children are turning up at infants school with no social skills worth the name (some are not even out of nappies) and insufficient language skills to make learning on terms with their well developed peers an impossibility. Those children are on the whole doomed, they never catch up and as a result later on become frustrated and disruptive.

If TM really wants to make an education system that works for everyone then pre-school bottom 10% would be a better place to start than the top 10% at Grammar school age.
    Poor parenting of the bottom 10% isnt solved by making the state their substitute parents in day orphanages.

It will never entirely be resolved and the majority of decent parents are already suffering from the futile utopian attempts to do this.

It can only be reduced as much as reasonably practicable by ensuring that there are opportunites for social mobility for the poorest and that education and hard work are gateways to such mobility. Grammar schools will not do this on their own but they are part of the solution.

Also crap parents dont inevitably lead to crap kids as this young lady demonstrates.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3774723/I-writhing-limbs-two-bodies-burned-alive-hell-living-Sao-Paolo-s-drug-infested-Cracolandia-crawled-past-rats-alive.html

Grammar schools offer a way out that Day Orphanages never can.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Edit: Just looked up my alma mater, the fees were £550 a term when I started in 1989, £700 a term when I left in 1996, now £3,696 a term. For a day school :open_mouth:
    I can't look up my school's fees when I was there but I think it is a very similiar picture.
  • Options
    Completely off-topic, but just occasionally there is a news story that really does restore one's faith in humanity:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/37306334/this-invention-by-a-british-student-could-save-millions-of-lives-across-the-world

Had I invented that aged 22, I'm not sure I'd have been able to resist the opportunity to patent it.
  • Options

Completely off-topic, but just occasionally there is a news story that really does restore one's faith in humanity:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/37306334/this-invention-by-a-british-student-could-save-millions-of-lives-across-the-world

Had I invented that aged 22, I'm not sure I'd have been able to resist the opportunity to patent it.

The problem is because he hasnt - someone else could. He should patent it and allow free use with his permission
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    edited September 2016

wasd said:

Unless you're willing to run a deeply illiberal series of attacks on them (benefit withdrawal and higher tax rates tied to lack of their offspring's achievement, legally mandated parenting classes, minimum term imprisonment for assault on or intimidation of teachers, public campaigns to dissuade the barely functional from becoming parents in the first place) to isolate and run down their culture then you don't. Forcing conformity to an ideal without some kind of stick is massively difficult.

But this idea that current failed system of school corridor based cultural osmosis is anything other than deeply cruel to those who are expected to sacrifice for it needs to end.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

I can't look up my school's fees when I was there but I think it is a very similiar picture.
    For some reason I remembered the numbers from back in the day, I'm sure from a conversation with the parents that they were paying a fortune to educate me, so I'd better turn out good!
    £11k a year, out of income taxed at 42%, is £19k in income, per child at a day school. That's bonkers!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,315
    edited September 2016
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

On the boarding side at the top public schools certainly they are now effectively establishments for children of the international super rich
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

For some reason I remembered the numbers from back in the day, I'm sure from a conversation with the parents that they were paying a fortune to educate me, so I'd better turn out good!
    £11k a year, out of income taxed at 42%, is £19k in income, per child at a day school.
    Probably will switch to plusnet. I got through to Sky with a 20 minute wait but my 'department transfer' hhas taken over an hour now.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Sandpit said:

To become 1st Female President of the USA and your name forever inscribed in history - what would be a better epitaph?
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Sandpit said:

To become 1st Female President of the USA and your name forever inscribed in history - what would be a better epitaph?
    And become one of the few political careers to end in success.
  • Options
    Currently sat on the floor having just made the busy Friday evening to Poole. Shall I make a video saying it is Grammar-packed??
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Not that I am buying into this anon doctor expert on youtube, but if your whole life has been geared towards being POTUS, perhaps you would see it as THE thing you wanted to achieve before you die.

Its a bit like saying why don't these billionaires stop working, they don't need the money, surely they could find better use with their time. But most aren't wired like that, being busy, being involved in lots of projects etc is what they want to do every day until they die.
    Yeh right, anonymous 'doctor'. Nice one Trump.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Sandpit said:

It also means that her running mate is of crucial importance. Does anyone know anything about Tim Kaine
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,030
    All these Clinton faces.. reminding me of the Smiling Gordons
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Sandpit said:

It also means that her running mate is of crucial importance. Does anyone know anything about Tim Kaine
    He makes paint drying look interesting.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Sandpit said:

Who was the last to die in office of natural causes?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

weejonnie said:

Sandpit said:

htp://www.express.co.uk/news/world/709081/Hillary-Clinton-health-US-presidential-election-year-vascular-dementia-claim
    htps://youtu.be/HoBL7fqOVcQ
    Roosevelt: 1945
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

weejonnie said:

Sandpit said:

Apparently the claims "posted anonymously online". Reported in The Express.
    Nuff said.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Sandpit said:

He makes paint drying look interesting.
    Ah "A steady pair of hands" I think is the euphemism.
  • Options
    Talking of health problems:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daniel-wagner/trump-and-narcissistic-pe_b_11289332.html
    "The Mayo Clinic’s definition of NPD is: “A mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for admiration, and a lack of empathy for others. Behind this mask of ultra-confidence lies a fragile self-esteem that is vulnerable to the slightest criticism. If you have NPD, you may come across as conceited, boastful or pretentious, you often monopolize conversations, you may belittle or look down on people you perceive as inferior, and you may feel a sense of entitlement (when you don’t receive special treatment, you may become impatient or angry). At the same time, you have trouble handling anything that may be perceived as criticism. You may have secret feelings of insecurity, shame, vulnerability and humiliation. To feel better, you may react with rage or contempt and try to belittle the other person to make yourself appear superior.” Does this sound like Mr. Trump? You bet it does!"
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Sandpit said:

Not really, but - and I know this sounds a terrible thing to say - given her appalling personal ratings, it might actually help her campaign if she's expected to die early in her term and have the relatively blank canvas of VP Kaine take over.
  • Options

No, you've misunderstood his point.
  • Options

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daniel-wagner/trump-and-narcissistic-pe_b_11289332.html
    "The Mayo Clinic’s definition of NPD is: “A mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance"

Inflated sense of his own importance? It's his opponents who are comparing him with Hitler and calling him a threat to Western civilisation. That would make him pretty important...
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Dots starting to be joined now....she appears has very unfortunate taste in men, being engaged to not one, but two terrorists individuals with mental health conditions both known locally as Dave...

Notre Dame terror arrest footage revealed as it emerges female ISIS member who planned to blow up French train station was engaged to jihadist who slit priest's throat AND cop-killing Islamist

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3780550/Three-woman-arrested-French-anti-terror-police-gas-cylinders-car-near-Paris-Notre-Dame-Cathedral-police-officer-stabbed.html
  • Options
    http://www.factcheck.org/2016/08/fake-clinton-medical-records/

There was a bit of a rumpus in early August about this = The Express quick as ever.

PS - Just as saying something is true doesn't make it so, so that denying it doesn't make it false.
  • Options
    SkyNews
    Poll by @SkyData suggests 34% of people think Govt is wrong to change schools policy without a general election - 54% think Govt isn't wrong

A poll by @SkyData suggests 46% of people feel grammars are better than comprehensives for working class children - 34% think they are worse
  • Options

Dots starting to be joined now....she appears has very unfortunate taste in men, being engaged to not one, but two terrorists individuals with mental health conditions both known locally as Dave...

Notre Dame terror arrest footage revealed as it emerges female ISIS member who planned to blow up French train station was engaged to jihadist who slit priest's throat AND cop-killing Islamist

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3780550/Three-woman-arrested-French-anti-terror-police-gas-cylinders-car-near-Paris-Notre-Dame-Cathedral-police-officer-stabbed.html

She's been using Jihadr?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

She's been using Jihadr?
    I am guessing your matches are quite limited on such an app and they aren't into casual hook-ups.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    "She's been using Jihadr?"

LOL
  • Options

"The Mayo Clinic’s definition of NPD is: “A mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for admiration, and a lack of empathy for others. Behind this mask of ultra-confidence lies a fragile self-esteem that is vulnerable to the slightest criticism. If you have NPD, you may come across as conceited, boastful or pretentious, you often monopolize conversations, you may belittle or look down on people you perceive as inferior, and you may feel a sense of entitlement (when you don’t receive special treatment, you may become impatient or angry). At the same time, you have trouble handling anything that may be perceived as criticism. You may have secret feelings of insecurity, shame, vulnerability and humiliation. To feel better, you may react with rage or contempt and try to belittle the other person to make yourself appear superior.” Does this sound like Mr. Trump? You bet it does!"

It applies to 90% of left-wing supporters.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

She's been using Jihadr?
    I am guessing your matches are quite limited on such an app and they aren't into casual hook-ups.
    I guess it's easier to find the 29 measures of compatibility than with Match.com.

Imagine if you met a Jim Jones fan by accident! How they'd laugh!
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

It's just a cheap smear of Trump, and these are the sort of people you'd expect to be wailing about the demonisation of mental health problems.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

PlatoSaid said:

She's been using Jihadr?
    Limited to exactly 72?
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    I've remembered that I did some work with a retailer who used Donald Trump in their ads. And the boss said The Donald has no sense of what people said of him. He didn't listen. And he had shockingly bad breath! I then recalled that someone on this site, said that met Nige Farage...and he too had bad breath. is it something to do with politicians (checks breath), or right wing ones, or blokes....or right wing, male politicians?
  • Options
    Dixie said:

I've remembered that I did some work with a retailer who used Donald Trump in their ads. And the boss said The Donald has no sense of what people said of him. He didn't listen. And he had shockingly bad breath! I then recalled that someone on this site, said that met Nige Farage...and he too had bad breath. is it something to do with politicians (checks breath), or right wing ones, or blokes....or right wing, male politicians?
    Hm... Maybe I should start selling PB Tory brand mints?
  • Options
    RobD said:

weejonnie said:

It's just a cheap smear of Trump, and these are the sort of people you'd expect to be wailing about the demonisation of mental health problems.
    The usual hypocrisy of the left, same as when they went to grammar school but don't want other people's kids to have the same opportunity now, or when they borrow 400k from their union to buy a small pad in central London.
  • Options
    Seriously?

Michael Crick
    EXCLUSIVE: Video shot on tube of Cabinet Off email about relaxing collective responsibility & free vote on Heathrow https://t.co/uPFGXQzadY
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited September 2016
    Fantastic news regarding the grammar schools.

However, May should have gone further. I would like to see a voucher system implemented which would enable parents to use it towards either state funded or privately funded education. This would lead to increased competition between schools and improve standards.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,592
    On grammar schools: I think this is a subject on which the deeply entrenched on either side look faintly ridiculous to the vast majority of people in the middle who can see pros and cons and who believe there are more options to education than either a) nothing should ever change from how it is now, or b) education should be exactly the same as it was in 1952.
    Moreover, there looks to be rather less to this policy than meets the eye. The absolute restriction on any application for more places by selection appears to being lifted, but whether there will be any more places as a result - either proportionally or absolutely - in unclear.
    At the very least, it will surely allow the borough with four secondary schools - one selective and three not - and which needs to find an extra 200 places to spread them evenly amongst all its schools rather than only expand the non-selective ones.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    RobD said:

Dixie said:

Hm... Maybe I should start selling PB Tory brand mints?
    Minted...the breath freshener for the right
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    weejonnie said:

Sandpit said:

People terminally ill with vascular dementia do not think like that. I know, I see a lot of it.

Hillary had a cerebral sinus (venous) thrombosis following a fall. She probably had a certain amount of intracranial pressure as she wore spectacles for a few months afterwards. I would think this due to a VI nerve palsy, a fairly well recognised and generally self limiting condition following an episode of raised intracranial pressure.

Raised ICP is fairly straightforward to treat and provided she stays on anti-coagulants no reason to expect either a recurrence or progression. While these thromboses do not always resolve completely, a natural dilation of alternative routes of venous drainage bypasses the problem.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Looks as if Mrs May is keen on open transparent Government, unless some Civil Servants or Ministers are also playing silly buggers.

http://www.channel4.com/news/exclusive-secret-document-reveals-heathrow-free-vote-plans
  • Options
    Ben
    Paul Mason might replace Seumas Milne as Corbyn's spin doctor. Paul Mason.
    https://t.co/XTHU9zyCZy https://t.co/7eDDcKu37N
  • Options
    My Name is Ed Balls, Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'

https://twitter.com/Holbornlolz/status/774317430957105152
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,260

Not sure that's true. While the postwar grammar school system still exists, more or less, in Kent, in other areas of the country the percentage of students
    attending grammar schools is way below 20%. Describing the rest of the schools in those areas as de facto Secondary Moderns (with all the emotional baggage that entails) is mistaken, if not disingenuous, IMO.
  • Options
    Smbthomas
    #momentum have invited Richard Seymour to speak at the #Labour conference, here's what he said about Simon Weston https://t.co/nQZw8UvBTY
  • Options

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

What was said on unis?
    That sounds remarkably stupid. Universities should get on with the business of being universities and leave schools alone.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Smbthomas
    #momentum have invited Richard Seymour to speak at the #Labour conference, here's what he said about Simon Weston https://t.co/nQZw8UvBTY

More proof that Labour harbours scum.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Is it a bird is it a plane...!
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

No, its a man having a mid life crisis...
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

PlatoSaid said:

Smbthomas

Who the hell is Richard Seymour anyway? Never heard of him, and with views like that he should be in a cesspit with his mouth open. He talks it so he can eat and smell like it
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

weejonnie said:

The usual hypocrisy of the left, same as when they went to grammar school but don't want other people's kids to have the same opportunity now, or when they borrow 400k from their union to buy a small pad in central London.
    "conceited, boastful or pretentious, you often monopolize conversations, you may belittle or look down on people you perceive as inferior, and you may feel a sense of entitlement "
    do you not think that all of that fits Trump?
    If he's ill he should be given help.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Smbthomas

Wow. Where the hell do they find all these morons?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

On grammar schools: I think this is a subject on which the deeply entrenched on either side look faintly ridiculous to the vast majority of people in the middle who can see pros and cons and who believe there are more options to education than either a) nothing should ever change from how it is now, or b) education should be exactly the same as it was in 1952.
    Moreover, there looks to be rather less to this policy than meets the eye. The absolute restriction on any application for more places by selection appears to being lifted, but whether there will be any more places as a result - either proportionally or absolutely - in unclear.
    At the very least, it will surely allow the borough with four secondary schools - one selective and three not - and which needs to find an extra 200 places to spread them evenly amongst all its schools rather than only expand the non-selective ones.

Very well put. It has allowed the class warriors to divert themselves for an afternoon, but we still don't have any real substance.

I'm calling May's speech as the world's most oblique approach to invoking the FTPA.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Looks as if Mrs May is keen on open transparent Government, unless some Civil Servants or Ministers are also playing silly buggers.

http://www.channel4.com/news/exclusive-secret-document-reveals-heathrow-free-vote-plans

Another one, really? This is a disciplinary office for the Civil Service, displaying papers like this in public, is it not? Doesn't matter whether it's the long lenses in Downing St, or a crowded tube train.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,260
    edited September 2016

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

What was said on unis?
    Agreed.
    Not stupid at all; universities already have links with schools in their areas, particularly since some teacher training has been moved out of iniversities into schools.

• Options

PlatoSaid said:

Smbthomas

Who the hell is Richard Seymour anyway? Never heard of him, and with views like that he should be in a cesspit with his mouth open. He talks it so he can eat and smell like it
    IIRC he wrote a couple of times for CiF a while back
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Ben

There isn't enough popcorn in Waitrose for this. Please let it happen.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:

Another one, really? This is a disciplinary office for the Civil Service, displaying papers like this in public, is it not? Doesn't matter whether it's the long lenses in Downing St, or a crowded tube train.
    I'm a very junior civil servant so wouldn't ever be in a position to have such high profile documentation, but you'd have to be a proper muppet to have such sensitive material out in public.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

What was said on unis?
    Agreed.
    Not stupid at all; universities already have links with schools in their areas, particularly since some teacher training has been moved out of iniversities into schools.

People just shoot from the hip without bothering to look at the early work that's been happening in this area. For universities who wish to raise their charges there should be a social obligation to improve the quality of the intake.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Sandpit said:

People terminally ill with vascular dementia do not think like that. I know, I see a lot of it.

Hillary had a cerebral sinus (venous) thrombosis following a fall. She probably had a certain amount of intracranial pressure as she wore spectacles for a few months afterwards. I would think this due to a VI nerve palsy, a fairly well recognised and generally self limiting condition following an episode of raised intracranial pressure.

Raised ICP is fairly straightforward to treat and provided she stays on anti-coagulants no reason to expect either a recurrence or progression. While these thromboses do not always resolve completely, a natural dilation of alternative routes of venous drainage bypasses the problem.
    So the 'internet doctor' that the Express is quoting, is talking baloney. No surprises there, another weird episode in the weirdest Presidential race ever!
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Smbthomas

Wiki - Richard Seymour is a Marxist writer and broadcaster, activist and owner of the blog Lenin's Tomb. Also a former member of the Socialist Workers Party.

Can't think why Momentum would want him as a speaker...

• Options
    Corbyn plans drinks party for his left-wing chums in a gin palace that used to be a ragged school for destitute children. Seems very New Labour to me.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Looking at his kitchen I have just one question...

WHERE'S THE BEEF?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Not sure that's true. While the postwar grammar school system still exists, more or less, in Kent, in other areas of the country the percentage of students
    attending grammar schools is way below 20%. Describing the rest of the schools in those areas as de facto Secondary Moderns (with all the emotional baggage that entails) is mistaken, if not disingenuous, IMO.
    To take Poole as an example see the results of the non-grammar schools there in GCSE and also the fact that several of the "comprehensives" there do not enter for A levels.

http://www.bbc.com/news/special/education/school_tables/secondary/11/html/836.stm

These are the most recent figures that I can find on the web. The ones nearest the grammar school seem particularly blighted.

• Options

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Smbthomas

Wiki - Richard Seymour is a Marxist writer and broadcaster, activist and owner of the blog Lenin's Tomb. Also a former member of the Socialist Workers Party.

Paul Mason will be a fan then...
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Ben

There isn't enough popcorn in Waitrose for this. Please let it happen.
    I genuinely can't imagine going back to life on Earth after so long in Wonderland.

What a year! And Jezza's looking like a winner again :smiley:
  • Options

Corbyn plans drinks party for his left-wing chums in a gin palace that used to be a ragged school for destitute children. Seems very New Labour to me.

I hope the time of such drinks event is carefully planned as not to be sexist.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:

The grammar school leak I was a bit skeptical about - would be an easy way to test the waters. This is clearly not is what happening here. A civil servant shouldn't be doing work with sensitive documents on a cramped train. At least they weren't extremely sensitive, given we all knew a vote was coming up...
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Smbthomas

Oh the nostalgic days when we laughed at posters quoting the Morning Star...
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Dead ants...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:

I'm a very junior civil servant so wouldn't ever be in a position to have such high profile documentation, but you'd have to be a proper muppet to have such sensitive material out in public.
    In the private sector, especially in a listed company, that sort of document finding its way to a journalist would be career suicide. As in you'll find your pass doesn't work and HR are there to meet you tomorrow morning. Don't pass "Go", don't collect 200 quid, and don't let the door hit your fat arse on the way out!

I don't see why lower standards should apply to Civil Servants.
This discussion has been closed.