Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Today Labour MPs are set to vote for return of shadow cabin

Comments

• Options
    Mr. D, don't think so. Looks very much to be a Black Lives Matter nonsense:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37283869
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029

Mr. D, don't think so. Looks very much to be a Black Lives Matter nonsense:

My mistake. The ethnic mix of the protestors is interesting. Not in my name comes to mind.
  • Options

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Metaphorical example - the eu can and does involve itself in innumerable minor things to very little purpose and the people in charge of the bureaucrats doing it are unelected commissioners.the eu should have stayed with grand dreams or nothing, it just became grubby and diminished when in people's eyes it was less about peace and grand cooperation and more about restrictions on vacuum cleaners.

Yes but the point is that if you national government bans the spray for potato blight if you can organise with enough others you can prevail upon them to either not ban it or reverse the ban because they are elected every 5 years and don't want to lose their seats - a full enough postbag works wonders on an mp.

When it is decided at supranational level they are too remote to be got at.

You want to have a government that can be 'got at'.

Our MPs are much more vulnerable to the electorate now that they can no longer say Sorry it is an EU regulation we have no choice 'under the treaties other than to implement'
    You can't get at any government if you live in a safe FPTP seat.
    There is no such thing. Ask Scottish Labour.
    Wasn't aware the SNP were the Westminster Govenrment.
    Haltemprice and Howden (with minor boundary changes) has been Tory since 1837 :D What a glorious place to live that must be.
    "Give us 5 more years to finish the job"
    5 more Parliaments!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

@TOPPING FPT

ECJ rules which incorporate the ECHR have priority over UK law.

If we are outside the ECHR the government is supposed to implement ECHR rulings but there are no consequences of not doing so.

The HRA requires UK courts to "take into account" ECHR rulings.

So while in the EU we have no say. Outside the EU but with the HRA we have some flexibility but it is at the court's discretion. Outside the EU and with an amended HRA it reverts to Parliament's discretion whether to amend our laws in response to a judgement. That's called "sovereignty"

Yes and no.

Article 46 of the Convention states that signatories, ie Parliament, must abide by, ie follow, the judgements of the ECtHR. However, as you say, our courts must only take into account the ECtHR judgements so can effectively ignore them.

But our courts cannot ignore Parliament!

So if Parliament passes a law that incorporates an ECHR measure (as the HRA did!) , the Supreme Court cannot strike it down.

All of which of course has nothing to do with the EU, but is a consequence of our adherence to the ECHR. It also has a lot to do, however, with a supranational body interfering with our lives and I would have thought was the thing which would have driven Brexiters bonkers.

I think you are restating what I said: the courts follow parliament.

I will take your word for it on what the treaty says. In any event it is a negative power - they told us to think again on prisonners rights, for instance, but they didn't tell us what to do. This is very different to the positive power that the ECJ aggrogated to themselved

• Options
    I think Westmorland in varying firms had been Tory from 1832 until Tim Farron. Montgomeryshire had been Liberal from the 1880's with one exception until Lembit Opik. It seems almost every group of voters can be pushed too far eventually !
  • Options
    edited September 2016

I think Westmorland in varying firms had been Tory from 1832 until Tim Farron. Montgomeryshire had been Liberal from the 1880's with one exception until Lembit Opik. It seems almost every group of voters can be pushed too far eventually !

Blimey, and at least one of the two members in the two-member seat was a Tory since 1774! Before then it was held by those filthy neutrals.....
  • Options

... and that's without mentioning Scotland.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,954
    #itsatrap
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,590
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

@TOPPING FPT

ECJ rules which incorporate the ECHR have priority over UK law.

If we are outside the ECHR the government is supposed to implement ECHR rulings but there are no consequences of not doing so.

The HRA requires UK courts to "take into account" ECHR rulings.

So while in the EU we have no say. Outside the EU but with the HRA we have some flexibility but it is at the court's discretion. Outside the EU and with an amended HRA it reverts to Parliament's discretion whether to amend our laws in response to a judgement. That's called "sovereignty"

Yes and no.

Article 46 of the Convention states that signatories, ie Parliament, must abide by, ie follow, the judgements of the ECtHR. However, as you say, our courts must only take into account the ECtHR judgements so can effectively ignore them.

But our courts cannot ignore Parliament!

So if Parliament passes a law that incorporates an ECHR measure (as the HRA did!) , the Supreme Court cannot strike it down.

All of which of course has nothing to do with the EU, but is a consequence of our adherence to the ECHR. It also has a lot to do, however, with a supranational body interfering with our lives and I would have thought was the thing which would have driven Brexiters bonkers.

I think you are restating what I said: the courts follow parliament.

I will take your word for it on what the treaty says. In any event it is a negative power - they told us to think again on prisonners rights, for instance, but they didn't tell us what to do. This is very different to the positive power that the ECJ aggrogated to themselved

The courts follow parliament and parliament follows the ECHR (and would do so again with any new BoR) and we are staying in the ECHR. It seems Brexiters have a strange idea of which supranational bodies they like and which ones they dislike.

In fact, to broaden the discussion, our interaction with the ECHR and ECtHR has been a textbook example of where we can work within and together with a European body to bring about mutual benefit. As David Davis, if you remember, made clear. So why not with the EU?

But of course that is hypothetical as we are leaving according to the man himself yesterday.
  • Options

Mr. D, a mere screenshot would've been sufficient :p

I'm surprised there hasn't been an #everydaysexism critique of why everyone remembers Ackbar saying it, but not Leia.

There's a link to a video of Admiral Ackbar in the thread header.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, is there? Or is it a trap?
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, is there? Or is it a trap?

If you click the green text that says 'it's a trap'
  • Options

I accept Weedkiller was a rhetorical device on Paul's part. But nobody unelected in the EU budget noises bans on anything. As for Vacuum Cleaners you mean setting market rules for energy efficiency. Entirely copied from the US car fuel efficiency approach from the '60s onwards. set the standards then Smith's invisible hand does the technological innovation and enforcement. It's actually a very small state solution to our environmental crisis. And supranational level s absolutely the best and only way to do it. Economies of scale for producers, the soft power of a huge market requirement and stopping a race to the bottom on competitive devaluation.

Except it doesn't seem to be a rhetorical device, the proscription of the use of his Bordeaux Mixture appears to be a suppurating, democratic deficit for Paul. Read the btl comments when the yellow press does one of its EUSSR pieces on vacuum cleaners, or toasters, or bananas; not much concern with rhetoric or metaphor there.

We are in an age where hobbyhorse politics is king.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    Corbyn as a master tactician is as likely as Darth Jar Jar, Sith Lord. One imagines John McDonnell is pushing for membership votes.
  • Options
    Mr. Max, there is a genuine theory that Lucas originally wanted Jar Jar Binks to turn out to be the mastermind (or at least Palpatine's lieutenant) in the downfall of the Republic, but that fan reaction to The Phantom Menace stopped that.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,596

HYUFD said:

The full statement of Italy's trade minister in the Telegraph is the more free movement is restricted the more the EU will restrict access of UK goods to the EU, so if there is no free movement at all i.e. not even just controls, we may have a trade war

To restrict British goods to the EU will be as damaging for the EU as it is for Britain..

Italy are fecked in or out of the EU
    Fine, but you are forgetting that they are all politicians, not businesspeople. The first thing a politician needs is an explanation (aka scapegoat) for the things that go wrong. Lots of things are likely to go wrong in Europe these next few years, particularly economically.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Corbyn as a master tactician is as likely as Darth Jar Jar, Sith Lord. One imagines John McDonnell is pushing for membership votes.

• Options

Mr. Max, there is a genuine theory that Lucas originally wanted Jar Jar Binks to turn out to be the mastermind (or at least Palpatine's lieutenant) in the downfall of the Republic, but that fan reaction to The Phantom Menace stopped that.

The very theory I was referencing!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

The full statement of Italy's trade minister in the Telegraph is the more free movement is restricted the more the EU will restrict access of UK goods to the EU, so if there is no free movement at all i.e. not even just controls, we may have a trade war

To restrict British goods to the EU will be as damaging for the EU as it is for Britain..

Italy are fecked in or out of the EU
    Fine, but you are forgetting that they are all politicians, not businesspeople. The first thing a politician needs is an explanation (aka scapegoat) for the things that go wrong. Lots of things are likely to go wrong in Europe these next few years, particularly economically.
    Much of recent EU regulation certainly in the financial services industry has come about on account of the political imperative following the GFC.
  • Options
    So you look and sound like an idiotic dickhead - but it's all a mask to fool the sheep into a false sense of security or contempt because you're actually an evil genius. Way to go Jezza!
  • Options

In fairness after yesterday I think we know a reasonable bit about the governments thinking. The implication is we're leaving the EU, the Single Market and the Customs Union. We'll them impose something called " immigration controls " and negotiate as substantial an amount of Single Market Access as we get given the end of free movement via a strong FTA. The problem is ( a) that's a logical plan if immigration control is your starting premise. ( B ) It's an insane plan if you are an open trading nation who already has a full seat at the decision table. So my reading of it is ( c) the government are just signalling it at the moment to give folk time to adjust to the shock. But of course we'll have to wait and see.

(B) fails, of course, because we haven't been.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Nick is the embodiment of the Labour Party's " broad church " but just in one person. Arch Blairite to arch corbinyte in one Parliament. :wink:
  • Options
    Mr. Max, I think Darth Jar Jar would be a more unifying figure. And a cleverer one.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @topping

You've completely ignored the substance of the argument to try and sneet at "Brexiteers"

I'd assume this is deliberate as you're smart enough to know you are doing so.

The ECJ says "you will do this under penalty of fines"

The ECHR says "we don't think that what you have done is compatible with the Treaty. Please go away and think again"

There is a fundamental difference between those two positions in terms of what it means for the UK.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Moses_ said:

Nick is the embodiment of the Labour Party's " broad church " but just in one person. Arch Blairite to arch corbinyte in one Parliament. :wink:
    Duh, read the article, dude.
  • Options

I accept Weedkiller was a rhetorical device on Paul's part. But nobody unelected in the EU budget noises bans on anything. As for Vacuum Cleaners you mean setting market rules for energy efficiency. Entirely copied from the US car fuel efficiency approach from the '60s onwards. set the standards then Smith's invisible hand does the technological innovation and enforcement. It's actually a very small state solution to our environmental crisis. And supranational level s absolutely the best and only way to do it. Economies of scale for producers, the soft power of a huge market requirement and stopping a race to the bottom on competitive devaluation.

Except it doesn't seem to be a rhetorical device, the proscription of the use of his Bordeaux Mixture appears to be a suppurating, democratic deficit for Paul. Read the btl comments when the yellow press does one of its EUSSR pieces on vacuum cleaners, or toasters, or bananas; not much concern with rhetoric or metaphor there.

We are in an age where hobbyhorse politics is king.
    There more than enough pissed off gardeners who will see to it that MPs mailboxes are full enough to see that this measure (and similar) is repealed once the competency is repatriated.

Trying to persuade the EU to repeal an over the top measure is pissing in the wind.

Bordeax mixture is not some complex chemical it is just is a mixture of copper(II) sulfate (CuSO4) and slaked lime (Ca(OH)2) used as a fungicide.

It has been sprayed on as a preventative fungicide for over 100 years since its invention in the nineteenth century. Commercial businesses can still use it but the public were banned from buying it in November 2015 by the EU who decided to ban copper sulphate as a *garden* fungicide because only experts, not the general public could apparently be trusted to use it properly and not poison everyone.

Parliament would never have got away with that if they had the competence.

Copper sulphate is still available retail for wine making as is slaked lime so now you will get gardeners illegally making their own which is much more dangerous.

Interfering EU Wankers.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    It's an interesting proposal and I can't see that broad membership involvement would really work - most of us currently outside Parliament only have the vaguest idea how some of the Shadows are doing. And the implication is that people do want to rejoin the Shadow Cabinet.

The risk is that the PLP insurgents would use it as a weapon to punish people who had worked with Corbyn, not just people like McDonnell (who really does make sense as Corbyn's SCOE) but really good less-known MPs like Rachael Maskell and Sarah Champion who have simply been getting on with the job. I think I'd favour the change but with scope for Corbyn to add additional members to make up the team.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    There should be a specific criminal offence of disrupting vital transport links for spurious attention seeking protests.

Invading City airport is akin to secondary picketing - 1 year in the clink for every hour of delays to planes.

"Racist climate change" might be peak Corbynista.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Metaphorical example - the eu can and does involve itself in innumerable minor things to very little purpose and the people in charge of the bureaucrats doing it are unelected commissioners.the eu should have stayed with grand dreams or nothing, it just became grubby and diminished when in people's eyes it was less about peace and grand cooperation and more about restrictions on vacuum cleaners.

Yes but the point is that if you national government bans the spray for potato blight if you can organise with enough others you can prevail upon them to either not ban it or reverse the ban because they are elected every 5 years and don't want to lose their seats - a full enough postbag works wonders on an mp.

When it is decided at supranational level they are too remote to be got at.

You want to have a government that can be 'got at'.

Our MPs are much more vulnerable to the electorate now that they can no longer say Sorry it is an EU regulation we have no choice 'under the treaties other than to implement'
    You can't get at any government if you live in a safe FPTP seat.
    Oh, god, this myth again?
  • Options
    @TSE - you love people in the Tory party you politically agree with, and think the rest are idiots.
  • Options
    Mr. Quidder, my seat used to be a safe Labour one (I think Colin Challen was MP then). A few boundary changes and some Balls later, and it's a Conservative marginal.
  • Options
    Charles said:

@topping

You've completely ignored the substance of the argument to try and sneet at "Brexiteers"

The ECHR says "we don't think that what you have done is compatible with the Treaty. Please go away and think again"

There is a fundamental difference between those two positions in terms of what it means for the UK.

Quite so. I was looking forward to getting the good ol' Topping back after the vote!
  • Options

@TSE - you love people in the Tory party you politically agree with, and think the rest are idiots.

No. I'm quite the fan of Owen Paterson when he's not banging on about the EU.

Thought it was a shame he was sacked, he did a stellar job on GM foods. Pure evidence and science based approach.
  • Options
    Charles said:

@topping

Of course there is. But the practicalities are that we are embracing a European body, are part of it, have and will be incorporating its terms into our laws, and we all think that is a great thing. Even David Davis agrees.

It is a textbook example of how we can work within and be part of such an institution.

We have also committed not to leave the ECHR which means that any BoR will incorporate ECHR provisions. And that's great.

Do you not think that it is at least worthy of note to wonder out loud (and especially on an internet chat room) how strange it is that one european body we are happy with and the other we are not?

Well of course there is the "take note of" vs the "you must" and that I get. But practically, we end up in the same place.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Duh, read the article, dude.
    "he has maintained a standard of calm, equable politics free from personal abuse"

...if you ignore what he has tolerated in his name.
  • Options
    No surprise that support for junior doctors is eroding. They have been poorly led and badly advised. Just like the miners were.
  • Options

Mr. Quidder, my seat used to be a safe Labour one (I think Colin Challen was MP then). A few boundary changes and some Balls later, and it's a Conservative marginal.

And even if a seat is temporarily safe, it is so because the people who live there want it to be.

It's a nonsense complaint.
  • Options

Charles said:

@topping

Quite so. I was looking forward to getting the good ol' Topping back after the vote!
    I am back.

I am allowed, though, to challenge you lot on the exact meaning of what we are about to do, the illogicalities, the, yes, hypocrisies?

No one in government seems to be doing it.
  • Options

No surprise that support for junior doctors is eroding. They have been poorly led and badly advised. Just like the miners were.

What I don't understand is why the BMA approved of the deal a few months ago but now they have called 5-day strikes over it. What changed over the summer?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    edited September 2016
    MaxPB said:

What I don't understand is why the BMA approved of the deal a few months ago but now they have called 5-day strikes over it. What changed over the summer?
    The BMA approved it but they couldn't sell it to the SJs.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    MaxPB said:

The BMA leadership - they were ousted for not being anti - Tory enough.
  • Options
    A lot to agree with in that piece. But what Nick totally ignores is the baggage that Corbyn brings with him, his refusal to tell members of his team to stop making threats to Labour party officials and MPs, and his inability to work with colleagues as leader of a shadow front bench. That's what makes him unfit to be leader.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    MaxPB said:

The BMA didn't approve it, they ballotted the affected doctors and 58% rejected it. The BMA JDC leadership resigned and new leaders with a mandate to continue industrial action were elected.

The leadership is not as radical as the membership. Next weeks strike is off, but this was because of inadequate time to prepare. The strike for 5 days from 5 Oct remains planned. That is a few days after imposition starts. It could be stopped if imposition was suspended and talks over the outstanding issues restarted.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

@topping

I am back.

I am allowed, though, to challenge you lot on the exact meaning of what we are about to do, the illogicalities, the, yes, hypocrisies?

Sorry mate, this is getting very boring. We have rehearsed and restated the arguments on human rights on here time and time again.

What's the point in doing it again?

As Charles says, you are looking for a cheap dig at Leavers, and I don't think you have a real grasp on the facts of the matter either, as some of your posts demonstrate.

So let's move on, and laugh at Corbyn instead.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

There should be a specific criminal offence of disrupting vital transport links for spurious attention seeking protests.

Invading City airport is akin to secondary picketing - 1 year in the clink for every hour of delays to planes.

A law against Economic Terrorism with long jail sentences mandatory upon conviction would do it
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The BMA didn't approve it, they ballotted the affected doctors and 58% rejected it. The BMA JDC leadership resigned and new leaders with a mandate to continue industrial action were elected.

The leadership is not as radical as the membership. Next weeks strike is off, but this was because of inadequate time to prepare. The strike for 5 days from 5 Oct remains planned. That is a few days after imposition starts. It could be stopped if imposition was suspended and talks over the outstanding issues restarted.
    What is the point of striking after imposition? You really think an agreed contract that is in place is going to be reversed after being imposed?

The government should take the same approach as Ronald Reagan to the Air Traffic Controllers.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

@topping

I am back.

Sorry mate, this is getting very boring. We have rehearsed and restated the arguments on human rights on here time and time again.

As Charles says, you are looking for a cheap dig at Leavers, and I don't think you have a real grasp on the facts of the matter either, as some of your posts demonstrate.

I'm not looking for a cheap dig at Leavers. Cheap digs at Leavers throw themselves at my feet.

I am well aware of the issue of human rights and my points remain valid as per my responses to Charles. To answer your "what's the point?" question - there should be as much clarity as possible about these issues and if not here, where?

But that's cool we can all talk about what we want on here, such is the beauty of PB.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    "Racist climate change"

Classic and worth preserving.

The punishment should be to be put in a prison cell for a week with no Guardian available.

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,947
    Telegraph Matt showing his age FPT. Table tennis is played to 11 now.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    edited September 2016
    Black Lives Matter was set up as an international movement following the murder of black teenager Trayvon Martin in America four years ago.

Lawyers might want to give BBC a ring about this....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,097
    TGOHF said:

"Racist climate change" might be peak Corbynista.

The latest suggestion from a pilots' forum about how to deal with the protestors involved a large JCB and the scumbags ending up in the Thames, still wearing their chains.

More seriously, don't charge them with trespass, charge them with endangering aircraft - that usually results in a long time in the clink.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, a good idea, but given the pussyfooting that happened in 2011 during the looting (can't appear racist by, er, stopping widespread public disorder too vigorously) I doubt it'll happen.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

@topping

I am back.

I'm not looking for a cheap dig at Leavers. Cheap digs at Leavers throw themselves at my feet.

I am well aware of the issue of human rights and my points remain valid as per my responses to Charles. To answer your "what's the point?" question - there should be as much clarity as possible about these issues and if not here, where?

But that's cool we can all talk about what we want on here, such is the beauty of PB.
    Happy to talk about this issue, but it's been done to death.

I have nothing to add to what Charles and DavidL have said, and we've discussed the issue on here many times before.
  • Options
    Interesting fact: when I started writing articles for PB in July I had 49 Twitter followers. Today I hit 250. A tiny amount, of course, but I like the trajectory!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    MattW said:

But in the Age of Empire to which Brexiteers aspire, it was 21

Now we have taken back control we can bring it back along with Firkins and Farthings...
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

@topping

I am back.

I have nothing to add to what Charles and DavidL have said, and we've discussed the issue on here many times before.
    Whereas agreeing that Jezza is a tosser is virgin territory..

:wink:
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Who controls the NEC at the moment? Suspect the PLP will get their way on this.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

@topping

I am back.

Whereas agreeing that Jezza is a tosser is virgin territory..

:wink:
    Yes, but it's consistently good fun :smile:
  • Options
    Mr. P, I didn't realise the Roman Empire was on offer if we left the EU!

All hail Empress Elizabeth!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

MaxPB said:

What is the point of striking after imposition? You really think an agreed contract that is in place is going to be reversed after being imposed?

The government should take the same approach as Ronald Reagan to the Air Traffic Controllers.
    Reversal?

Imposition starts on 1 October but the rollout is slow (and NHS HR departments hopelessly unprepared) and doesn't reach all grades of junior until next August.

The strike will be a disaster but imposition is a disaster too. It fails to address the real issues and will further demoralise and antagonise a truculent workforce with a major existing retention and recruitment problem. It is not a battle with a good outcome for anyone.
  • Options

Black Lives Matter was set up as an international movement following the murder of black teenager Trayvon Martin in America four years ago.

Erm....it wasn't a murder it was a killing. Zimmerman was acquitted on the grounds he was rightfully defending himself.
  • Options
    MattW said:

When did that happen?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Why should talks be reopened? An agreement was reached. Just because a small number of doctors rejected it? This is beyond getting pointless.
  • Options

Thought it was a shame he was sacked, he did a stellar job on GM foods. Pure evidence and science based approach.
    I thought Owen Patterson was doing a good job too.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    The Apple engineer who switched Macs to Intel processors was rejected from a job at the Genius Bar. JK Scheinberg, who was spent 21 years working for the tech giants, applied to work in an Apple Store after he retired.

The 54-year-old understandably thought he would be a good fit for the position - but he was turned down

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3774845/Former-Apple-engineer-switched-Macs-Intel-processors-REJECTED-job-Genius-Bar.html

Yo granddad you ain't got the skills to pay the bills...
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Patrick said:

Erm....it wasn't a murder it was a killing. Zimmerman was acquitted on the grounds he was rightfully defending himself.
    To be fair, they do say that later in the article...but they still "carelessly" wrote this. Not only wrong, on an issue like this where there is enough misinformation you would hope they would be more careful.
  • Options
    Kindle offer, for Bernard Cornwell's Last Kingdom series. Apparently books 1-8 are just 99p each, for today only.

I've read so much Cornwell stuff I'm not too fussed myself (must have read 20-30 books) but if you're interested, I thought I'd flag it up.
  • Options

The Apple engineer who switched Macs to Intel processors was rejected from a job at the Genius Bar. JK Scheinberg, who was spent 21 years working for the tech giants, applied to work in an Apple Store after he retired.

The 54-year-old understandably thought he would be a good fit for the position - but he was turned down

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3774845/Former-Apple-engineer-switched-Macs-Intel-processors-REJECTED-job-Genius-Bar.html

Some of those Apple store managers are so up their own arse they would reject an anonymised application from a resurrected Steve Jobs.
  • Options
    No laughing at the back....

Ed Balls, the former shadow chancellor and, now Strictly Come Dancing star, survived his first night on the ballroom floor only to be left injured when he walked into a glass door.

The automatic glasses door at The Guardian's offices got the better of Mr Balls as he attempted to leave following an interview.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/05/strictlys-ed-balls-smacked-in-the-face-by-an-automatic-door/
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    The Northern Ireland boundary commission has released its draft proposals https://www.boundarycommission.org.uk/2018-review

I do not know anything about NI politics but I note that Belfast is down to 3 seats all within the existing council boundary.
  • Options

Mr. P, I didn't realise the Roman Empire was on offer if we left the EU!

All hail Empress Elizabeth!

I think theoretically speaking all the English monarchs have been emperors and England an Empire since 1536 when Henry VIII declared UDI, ended the Popes powers to veto acts of parliament and confiscated all the Pope's "military" bases (monasteries).
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,947
    Sandpit said:

MattW said:

When did that happen?
  • Options

On climate change he's an idiot.
    "Despite his voting record "moderately for" laws to stop climate change,[24] he is a climate change sceptic,[23] and has not accepted David MacKay's offer of a briefing on climate change science.[25] During his time in office, Paterson cut funding for climate change adaptation by approximately 40%. In 2014 the outgoing Environment Agency chair Chris Smith said that flood defence budget cuts had left the agency underfunded and hampered its ability to prevent and respond to flooding in the UK.[26][27][28] When asked in a 2013 BBC interview about the alleged failure of a badger cull he had been responsible for, Paterson famously replied that "the badgers have moved the goalposts."
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, I cannot comment on the rumours the circuit was rigged by a suspiciously large land-walking fish.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Some of those Apple store managers are so up their own arse they would reject an anonymised application from a resurrected Steve Jobs.
    Well to be fair, Steve was never actually any good at the hand-ons on stuff :-)
  • Options

Interesting fact: when I started writing articles for PB in July I had 49 Twitter followers. Today I hit 250. A tiny amount, of course, but I like the trajectory!

Well done on the followers, but more importantly well done on the articles - good writing from the perspective of someone quite attached to Labour, wondering what the hell has happened to the party they love.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

When did that happen?
    http://tinyurl.com/jqur9m6
  • Options
    MattW said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

When did that happen?
    Wow, shows how long ago I last played ping pong!
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    English and Welsh constituency boundaries are due to be published 13 September. Not sure when Scotland's are due.
  • Options

On climate change he's an idiot.
    "Despite his voting record "moderately for" laws to stop climate change,[24] he is a climate change sceptic,[23] and has not accepted David MacKay's offer of a briefing on climate change science.[25] During his time in office, Paterson cut funding for climate change adaptation by approximately 40%. In 2014 the outgoing Environment Agency chair Chris Smith said that flood defence budget cuts had left the agency underfunded and hampered its ability to prevent and respond to flooding in the UK.[26][27][28] When asked in a 2013 BBC interview about the alleged failure of a badger cull he had been responsible for, Paterson famously replied that "the badgers have moved the goalposts."
    Yes, if he believes that he shouldn't be voting for laws designed to harm our economy without having the slightest impact on the planet's ecosystem.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    MaxPB said:

In these sort of jobs it's how you look and who you know, not what you know. If you look over 35, you're dead.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    MaxPB said:

That they had him in for a group interview yet still didn't manage to hire him that's impressively stupid.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TBF front-line technical support is a completely different skill set to engineering, there's no particular reason to think this guy would necessarily be the best person for the job.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

MaxPB said:

TBF front-line technical support is a completely different skill set to engineering, there's no particular reason to think this guy would necessarily be the best person for the job.
    I don't doubt its ageism, but I also agree. My technical knowledge is far too niche and in-depth to suit me to general customer support. Like PhDs, I know a great deal about very little.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,154

People skills problem?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Sure, but you'd at least give him a go. Speaking from experience anyone who works on software tends to become tech support for family and friends (I know I am). I would be surprised if that wasn't the case for this fellow and many others in the industry, as I'm sure you know.
  • Options
    @AlastairMeeks - thanks for disturbing my whole day.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    MaxPB said:

LOL - clearly too up their own arse to read the guy's CV.
  • Options

People skills problem?
    Isn't that a pre-requirement for working as an Apple Genius?
  • Options

I'm more disturbed that Mr Meeks follows the Sunday Sport!
  • Options
    MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

In these sort of jobs it's how you look and who you know, not what you know. If you look over 35, you're dead.
    Two decades ago myself and a few friends used to go around computer stores in London and show their salespeople to be utterly clueless idiots. We'd ask a technical question and get utterly invented answers, when we'd tell them the correct answer.

I've been known to do the same in Apple stores. If it isn't on some form of script, they bluster. It's almost as if they expect only to meet the religious, and they're not used to talking to non-believers. ;)

But I've got my own problems with John Lewis atm. My third laptop in eighteen months is dying (*), this one after just ten weeks. Each time it's taken them two months to replace, despite claiming it would just be two weeks. And this is from a different manufacturer.

Grrrr ...

(*) Fan failure.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I'm more disturbed that Mr Meeks follows the Sunday Sport!
    I like to have a wide range of reading material.
  • Options
    <
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

LOL - clearly too up their own arse to read the guy's CV.
    Or more likely they don't want someone clever and motivated making them look poor in comparison.
  • Options

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

Two decades ago myself and a few friends used to go around computer stores in London and show their salespeople to be utterly clueless idiots. We'd ask a technical question and get utterly invented answers, when we'd tell them the correct answer.
    PC World employees are normally a good target for this activity.
  • Options

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

I've been known to do the same in Apple stores. If it isn't on some form of script, they bluster. It's almost as if they expect only to meet the religious, and they're not used to talking to non-believers. ;)

But I've got my own problems with John Lewis atm. My third laptop in eighteen months is dying (*), this one after just ten weeks. Each time it's taken them two months to replace, despite claiming it would just be two weeks. And this is from a different manufacturer.

Grrrr ...

(*) Fan failure.
    That's why Apple are awesome, I had a faulty macbook, booked a genius bar appointment, and they swappped it there and then for a new one.
This discussion has been closed.