Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Today Labour MPs are set to vote for return of shadow cabin

SystemSystem Posts: 11,711
edited September 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Today Labour MPs are set to vote for return of shadow cabinet elections, but are they headed into a trap?

Labour MPs are to vote on restoring Shadow Cabinet elections after a stark warning that they risk losing the party’s heartlands unless they unite behind the party’s leader.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    First
  • Options
    That's why it's quiet, Rob D. New thread
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    Damn and blast! The minute I step away!
  • Options
    Perhaps Corbyn's next step is to dissolve the NEC permanently, and give the regional governors direct control of the party? :D
  • Options
    The Independent: Harlow: Did the great hopes for a post-war new town end with the death of a Polish immigrant in a shopping arcade? http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwndraxi0
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,971
    What a mess, to see the death of a great party.

Ordered more popcorn, it should arrive in time for Conference. :)
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2016
    Morning all.

"This will be a day long remembered. It has seen the end of Corbyn, and will soon see the end of the rebellion."
  • Options
    It just occurred to me.... Cornyn loves democracy, and he also loves the republic(an form of government) :o
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Where on earth did you find any??
  • Options
    "Corbyn is turning out be quite the master tactician"

But alas no strategist at all.
  • Options
    If the Shadow Cabinet returns to being elected by the PLP does John McDonnell have enough support to secure a place ? Is Corbyn the real target of this move ?
  • Options
    Any independent power base is potentially dangerous for the leadership, no matter where it is derived from.
  • Options
    But alas no strategist at all.

Very much in the Stalin line. Being able to control your party doesn't make you good at running a country.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Where on earth did you find any??
    One of the advantages of being somewhere that doesn't care too much for UK (or US) politics, there's still some popcorn around if you know where to look for it ;)
  • Options
    Offered without comment:
    "It is not tenable for Jeremy Corbyn to take no position on the allegations against Keith Vaz"
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/05/it-is-not-tenable-for-jeremy-corbyn-to-take-no-position-on-the-a/
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Ed Balls was on 5 live yesterday talking about Strictly and his new book, He was asked if he had finished with politics and I think he said (interrupted in my car by TA announcement) that if he thought he could do anything to help the Party he would be back in a trice

Reading between the lines, I think that means he thinks Labour is done for whichever way it turns...
  • Options
    Isn't it about time we had a thread on the popcorn crisis, is it time for rationing or do we let those with the most money outbid us for the meagre remaining supplies, has the EU common agricultural policy exacerbated the situation?
  • Options
    FPT @ Topping.

No, I'm not wrong, and everything you posted in that fullfact link is entirely correct and compatible with what I said.
  • Options

Ed Balls was on 5 live yesterday talking about Strictly and his new book, He was asked if he had finished with politics and I think he said (interrupted in my car by TA announcement) that if he thought he could do anything to help the Party he would be back in a trice

Reading between the lines, I think that means he thinks Labour is done for whichever way it turns...

Ed Balls is the only one who could save Labour, IMHO.

Of course, he needs a by-election, and to be selected, first.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Tuesday's stage of the Tour of Britain is from Congleton to Tatton Park, Knutsford. Many years ago I lived in Knutsford right next to Tatton Park.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited September 2016
    FPT.

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

@Gardenwalker has it. The reality will be that Brexit means we will have to face up to ourselves and that it is and has been our own decisions that have been responsible for much of the woes that eg. the poor have suffered.

OK that's fine - evidently no political system, or colour of government was going to fix it, not Lab, not Cons so the UK had to do something drastic; like cutting down your apple tree to get the ball back that was stuck in the branches.

It's a shame, though, because it really was not the EU that was responsible for the poverty in the UK, nor for taking our "sovereignty" and forcing us to do very much against our will that we might not have done anyway.
    Actually (and blowing my own trumpet here) I said as much here -
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/18/britains-original-sins/ and here - http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/07/12/uniting-the-country/.

To sum it up in one sentence. We didn't go through what we went through in the 20th century so that an unelected Belgian could tell us what weed killer we could or couldnt put on the marigold beds in our garden.
    Perhaps what continental Europeans went through in the 20th century makes them feel that an unelected Belgian (or Pole or Irishman) making decisions on weedkiller is an entirely acceptable price to pay to prevent it happening again.
    If they wish to give up freedom for security that is their choice. Were a virtually uninvadable island under a single sovereign. Thats why we stayed free throughout the twentieth century and why we have no need trade freedom for protection as a shopkeeper in sicily will to mafiosa.

Alas one day they will, too late, wake up and realise that without freedom, there can be no security in the long term.
    If you feel freedom resides in your choice of weedkiller, there's no 'we' as far as I'm concerned.
    If an unelected EU bureaucrat tells you (which they have) that you can no longer spray your potato plants with bordeaux mixture, as your forefathers have done for hundreds of years before, under pain of criminal sanction; but instead must stand back and watch blight destroy your potato crop - then you are no more free than the Irish peasants were at the time of the nineteenth century potato famine.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,189

Ed Balls is the only one who could save Labour, IMHO.

Of course, he needs a by-election, and to be selected, first.
    Nobody sane is going to want to try to lead Labour before they have lost the next general election
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,088

Isn't it about time we had a thread on the popcorn crisis, is it time for rationing or do we let those with the most money outbid us for the meagre remaining supplies, has the EU common agricultural policy exacerbated the situation?

Of course it hasn’t. Had it not been for the EU there would none at all.
  • Options
    The full statement of Italy's trade minister in the Telegraph is the more free movement is restricted the more the EU will restrict access of UK goods to the EU, so if there is no free movement at all i.e. not even just controls, we may have a trade war
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    HYUFD said:

The full statement of Italy's trade minister in the Telegraph is the more free movement is restricted the more the EU will restrict access of UK goods to the EU, so if there is no free movement at all i.e. not even just controls, we may have a trade war

To restrict British goods to the EU will be as damaging for the EU as it is for Britain..

Italy are fecked in or out of the EU
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Trade peace is so overrated :p
  • Options

HYUFD said:

To restrict British goods to the EU will be as damaging for the EU as it is for Britain..

Britain will survive without most EU imports, there's plenty of substitute products from elsewhere available. Cant imagine the Germans being too keen on a trade war though.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes there is now likely to be a trade conflict, tariffs and barriers of some form, just a question of whether a skirmish or a full-scale war
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    HYUFD said:

Time to send the navy to blockade Rotterdam then.

Im sure uncle Vladimir will be happy to give them two fronts to fight on as well.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

We would obviously respond and restrict access of EU goods to the UK, it would be bad for us both
  • Options

HYUFD said:

All we need do is call in some loans to their basket case banks and they will implode overnight
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

The posturing by both sides is getting worse than before the referendum. Davis’ somewhat “motherhood and apple pie” statement didn’t help. Surely there ought to be a few more outlines (at least) being sketched in. All we’ve had so far is a statement that we’ll have immigration controls, but they won’t be points based.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    edited September 2016
    The decision to end shadow cabinet elections was taken by MPs in 2011 following a request by Ed Miliband. The NEC and conference had no part in it. Technically, the MPs agreed to a suspension of a right they had enjoyed since the 1920s. The vote today would be to end the suspension. What will then happen is that:
    1. The elections will take place and Corbyn will ignore the results.
    2. He will then suggest a new way to elect shadow cabinet members, which will get bogged down in party process.
    What MPs will say is that we have elected the people we think should serve, they are all willing to do so, Jeremy does not want them, who is interested in unity now?
    Basically, it's all part of the longer running war.
  • Options

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

The posturing by both sides is getting worse than before the referendum. Davis’ somewhat “motherhood and apple pie” staement didn’t help. Surely there ought to be a few more outlines (at least) being sketched in. All we’ve had so far is a statement that we’ll have immigration controls, but they won’t be points based.
    A statement that we are having immigration controls. End of. And if the EU don't like it they can stuff their single market where the sun dosent shine is a pretty serious matter.

The Italian trade war threat in response shows how rattled the EU are. They didnt think we had the balls to do it.
  • Options

FPT.

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

@Gardenwalker has it. The reality will be that Brexit means we will have to face up to ourselves and that it is and has been our own decisions that have been responsible for much of the woes that eg. the poor have suffered.

OK that's fine - evidently no political system, or colour of government was going to fix it, not Lab, not Cons so the UK had to do something drastic; like cutting down your apple tree to get the ball back that was stuck in the branches.

It's a shame, though, because it really was not the EU that was responsible for the poverty in the UK, nor for taking our "sovereignty" and forcing us to do very much against our will that we might not have done anyway.
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/18/britains-original-sins/ and here - http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/07/12/uniting-the-country/.

To sum it up in one sentence. We didn't go through what we went through in the 20th century so that an unelected Belgian could tell us what weed killer we could or couldnt put on the marigold beds in our garden.
    Perhaps whatent it happening again.
    If they wish to give up freedom for security that is their choice. Were a virtually uninvadable island under a single sovereign. Thats why we stayed free throughout the twentieth century and why we have no need trade freedom for protection as a shopkeeper in sicily will to mafiosa.

Alas one day they will, too late, wake up and realise that without freedom, there can be no security in the long term.
    If you feel freedom resides in your choice of weedkiller, there's no 'we' as far as I'm concerned.
    If an unelected EU bureaucrat tells you (which they have) that you can no longer spray your potato plants with bordeaux mixture, as your forefathers have done for hundreds of years before, under pain of criminal sanction; but instead must stand back and watch blight destroy your potato crop - then you are no more free than the Irish peasants were at the time of the nineteenth century potato famine.

Yes, you are. You are not going to starve to death, for a start.

• Options

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

The posturing by both sides is getting worse than before the referendum. Davis’ somewhat “motherhood and apple pie” staement didn’t help. Surely there ought to be a few more outlines (at least) being sketched in. All we’ve had so far is a statement that we’ll have immigration controls, but they won’t be points based.
    A statement that we are having immigration controls. End of. And if the EU don't like it they can stuff their single market where the sun dosent shine is a pretty serious matter.

The Italian trade war threat in response shows how rattled the EU are. They didnt think we had the balls to do it.
    See what I mean about the posturing.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,432
    I can see what Betts is trying to do and it is not the worst idea that someone in Labour has had recently but there are a couple of obvious problems. Firstly, and most obviously, Labour have a leader who has no concept of party or message discipline. He never has had throughout his career and it is no different now he is leader. There are endless examples of members of the shadow cabinet being undermined or left looking foolish because a random thought has crossed Corbyn's very small mind.

Secondly, the point of being in the shadow cabinet is to have a role in developing and setting party policy in a particular area in consultation with the various interest groups in the party. And, once again, Corbyn has made it clear that he is not going to allow that.

So even if the members of the Shadow Cabinet are elected by the PLP and once again become the anti-Corbynites we will have the same impasse. If Hilary Benn was elected, for example, Corbyn is simply not going to listen to him or agree with what he said and they risk having another Syria type vote. So its progress Jim, but not as we know it.
  • Options
    In fairness after yesterday I think we know a reasonable bit about the governments thinking. The implication is we're leaving the EU, the Single Market and the Customs Union. We'll them impose something called " immigration controls " and negotiate as substantial an amount of Single Market Access as we get given the end of free movement via a strong FTA. The problem is ( a) that's a logical plan if immigration control is your starting premise. ( B ) It's an insane plan if you are an open trading nation who already has a full seat at the decision table. So my reading of it is ( c) the government are just signalling it at the moment to give folk time to adjust to the shock. But of course we'll have to wait and see.
  • Options

FPT.

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Perhaps whatent it happening again.

Yes, you are. You are not going to starve to death, for a start.

Someone in the DfT said a few years ago that I had to wear a seat belt!

Restricting my freedom. I’d driven for thousands of miles with no problem.

Overall, I’m safer now, though.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

There will not be a trade war.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

All we need do is call in some loans to their basket case banks and they will implode overnight
    You think causing Banks you've made loans to to " implode overnight " is a good strategy ?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @TOPPING FPT

ECJ rules which incorporate the ECHR have priority over UK law.

If we are outside the ECHR the government is supposed to implement ECHR rulings but there are no consequences of not doing so.

The HRA requires UK courts to "take into account" ECHR rulings.

So while in the EU we have no say. Outside the EU but with the HRA we have some flexibility but it is at the court's discretion. Outside the EU and with an amended HRA it reverts to Parliament's discretion whether to amend our laws in response to a judgement. That's called "sovereignty"

• Options
    DavidL said:

I can see what Betts is trying to do and it is not the worst idea that someone in Labour has had recently but there are a couple of obvious problems. Firstly, and most obviously, Labour have a leader who has no concept of party or message discipline. He never has had throughout his career and it is no different now he is leader. There are endless examples of members of the shadow cabinet being undermined or left looking foolish because a random thought has crossed Corbyn's very small mind.

Secondly, the point of being in the shadow cabinet is to have a role in developing and setting party policy in a particular area in consultation with the various interest groups in the party. And, once again, Corbyn has made it clear that he is not going to allow that.

So even if the members of the Shadow Cabinet are elected by the PLP and once again become the anti-Corbynites we will have the same impasse. If Hilary Benn was elected, for example, Corbyn is simply not going to listen to him or agree with what he said and they risk having another Syria type vote. So its progress Jim, but not as we know it.

Labour MPs know that. What they are doing is showing they are willing to make a go of it in the knowledge that Corbyn will not meet them close to halfway. It's part of the longer battle.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,694
    edited September 2016

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

The posturing by both sides is getting worse than before the referendum. Davis’ somewhat “motherhood and apple pie” statement didn’t help. Surely there ought to be a few more outlines (at least) being sketched in. All we’ve had so far is a statement that we’ll have immigration controls, but they won’t be points based.
    If I had to guess, it'd be (largely unrestricted) work permits for EU citizens with, potentially, some sort of bond to skew it in favour of higher earning employment and prevent mass movement of low skilled labour.

I expect this will be settled as the HMG position first, as its absolute "red line", and all else negotiated after around it.
  • Options

FPT.

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Perhaps what continental Europeans went through in the 20th century makes them feel that an unelected Belgian (or Pole or Irishman) making decisions on weedkiller is an entirely acceptable price to pay to prevent it happening again.

Nobody unelected bans Weedkillers in the EU. Please don't be silly.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

There is a further, longer term problem. Unless elected Shadow Cabinet members play a full role, and by this I mean pretty much do as Corbynista want them to do in their respective briefs, then, come the electoral collapse in 2020, these moderates will be blamed for the losses.

For the party to be in a position to start afresh in June 2020, with moderate leadership, then Corbyn and co have to lose it all themselves, with no possibilities of blaming moderates.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    DavidL said:

It's seen as a way the rebels can be in the shadow cabinet without being mocked to high heaven for returning, which also means they can go on avoiding the Question of putting up or shutting up. Anything to avoid contemplating a split, anything to seek a third way.
  • Options

In fairness after yesterday I think we know a reasonable bit about the governments thinking. The implication is we're leaving the EU, the Single Market and the Customs Union. We'll them impose something called " immigration controls " and negotiate as substantial an amount of Single Market Access as we get given the end of free movement via a strong FTA. The problem is ( a) that's a logical plan if immigration control is your starting premise. ( B ) It's an insane plan if you are an open trading nation who already has a full seat at the decision table. So my reading of it is ( c) the government are just signalling it at the moment to give folk time to adjust to the shock. But of course we'll have to wait and see.

If you have ever been involved in formal trade union pay bargaining, you start from a hardline position demanding the moon on the stick and several things you know you wont get and make concessions during the formal process in return for management concessions, the concessions you give being the ones that you knew you wouldnt get in the first place.

When a deal is close then there may be some real cut into the bone concessions but only when you are sure that you will get a worthwhile deal from management in return.

Then everyone emerges all smiles before licking their wounds when they get home, the winner being the one with the best loot to wounds ratio.
  • Options

FPT.

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Actually (and blowing my own trumpetuntry/.

Perhaps what.
    If they wish to give up freedom fwe have no need trade freedom for protection as a shopkeeper in sicily will to mafiosa.

Metaphorical example - the eu can and does involve itself in innumerable minor things to very little purpose and the people in charge of the bureaucrats doing it are unelected commissioners.the eu should have stayed with grand dreams or nothing, it just became grubby and diminished when in people's eyes it was less about peace and grand cooperation and more about restrictions on vacuum cleaners.
  • Options
    Charles said:

@TOPPING FPT

If we are outside the ECHR the government is supposed to implement ECHR rulings but there are no consequences of not doing so.

So while in the EU we have no say. Outside the EU but with the HRA we have some flexibility but it is at the court's discretion. Outside the EU and with an amended HRA it reverts to Parliament's discretion whether to amend our laws in response to a judgement. That's called "sovereignty"

Some of us would call it fetishization...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

If you have ever been involved in formal trade union pay bargaining, you start from a hardline position demanding the moon on the stick and several things you know you wont get and make concessions during the formal process in return for management concessions, the concessions you give being the ones that you knew you wouldnt get in the first place.

When a deal is close then there may be some real cut into the bone concessions but only when you are sure that you will get a worthwhile deal from management in return.

Then everyone emerges all smiles before licking their wounds when they get home, the winner being the one with the best loot to wounds ratio.
    If only Cameron had ever been anywhere near formal trade union pay bargaining, he might have got a proper Renegotiation. Or else been on the Brexit picket line. Either way, he'd probably still be PM for a couple more years.....
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

It's seen as a way the rebels can be in the shadow cabinet without being mocked to high heaven for returning, which also means they can go on avoiding the Question of putting up or shutting up. Anything to avoid contemplating a split, anything to seek a third way.

No, it's a way for Labour MPs to show they are willing to try to heal the wounds. When Corbyn ignores it or seeks to undermine it, he will be the one rejecting unity. In the longer battle being fought for the sane Corbyn vote, that will be important.

• Options

Agreed. The question is is this what we're doing ? The electorate has rather given our hand away. By establishing our Red Line publiclly as one that puts us completely outside the club we're negotiating market access from scratch.
  • Options
    “This is supposed to be the first stage of a ‘truth and reconciliation’ process.”

Not for Corbyn, it seems. It could appear to me to be just as much of a trap for Corbyn, allowing him to show at the very first opportunity that by opposing this he is anything but a bridge builder. If he wants a continued PLP boycott of ministerial posts, this is the way for him to go about inviting one. Moreover, if the rather ludicrous idea of members electing the shadow cabinet ever came to pass, it would also provide a ready excuse for an annual series of elections by Labour members which would then be used as a means of challenging Corbyn's authority.

In the meantime while the torpedoing is going on, the PLP has a much more effective option at its disposal. It could change the PLP departmental committees so that they are no longer operate as backbench committees in nature. The chair of each is already elected by the PLP and could be tasked with taking on the shadow secretary of state role and then nominating other members to take on roles shadowing the various ministerial roles within each department. Members of the committees could meet just as shadow teams did previously to decide upon how to respond to government proposals, ignoring Corbyn. If Corbyn is still unable to put together a coherent front bench team, but the PLP did through this vehicle, it would pose an interesting dilemma for Bercow.
  • Options

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

No, it's a way for Labour MPs to show they are willing to try to heal the wounds. When Corbyn ignores it or seeks to undermine it, he will be the one rejecting unity. In the longer battle being fought for the sane Corbyn vote, that will be important.

Indeed.
  • Options
    These aren't the threads we're looking for.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    The timing of this move is rather odd. It does seem to be predicated on Corbyn having already been re-elected. Have they not been reading Mr. Brind's threads these past weeks? "Too close to call..."
  • Options

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

It may seem like that to the MPs, but to Corbyn and friends will it not seem like the PLP trying again to undermine his authority, the authority he has from the membership?
  • Options

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

No, it's a way for Labour MPs to show they are willing to try to heal the wounds.
    Six of one, half a dozen of another. They don't want to split, they don't want to be in a deselection fight, they don't want to be blamed for party strife but they don't want to serve a crap leader quietly. So they come up with this to show willing and happily also avoid tougher questions.

And your premise only works if members blame Corbyn for stymieing it. Why would they? They are transparently making a move to undermine him, he is supposedly countering with another populist escalation like a latter day grachii, surely if further dispute arises only those members already opposed to him will back the rebels?
  • Options

“This is supposed to be the first stage of a ‘truth and reconciliation’ process.”

Not for Corbyn, it seems. It could appear to me to be just as much of a trap for Corbyn, allowing him to show at the very first opportunity that by opposing this he is anything but a bridge builder. If he wants a continued PLP boycott of ministerial posts, this is the way for him to go about inviting one. Moreover, if the rather ludicrous idea of members electing the shadow cabinet ever came to pass, it would also provide a ready excuse for an annual series of elections by Labour members which would then be used as a means of challenging Corbyn's authority.

In the meantime while the torpedoing is going on, the PLP has a much more effective option at its disposal. It could change the PLP departmental committees so that they are no longer operate as backbench committees in nature. The chair of each is already elected by the PLP and could be tasked with taking on the shadow secretary of state role and then nominating other members to take on roles shadowing the various ministerial roles within each department. Members of the committees could meet just as shadow teams did previously to decide upon how to respond to government proposals, ignoring Corbyn. If Corbyn is still unable to put together a coherent front bench team, but the PLP did through this vehicle, it would pose an interesting dilemma for Bercow.

Great minds think alike! Corbyn will be the one explicitly rejecting a PLP unity initiative.

• Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I agree but it is not going to work. Joff's explanation is more cynical and is therefore probably nearer the mark.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

FPT.

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Actually (and blowing my own trumpetuntry/.

Perhaps
    If they wish to give up freedom fwe have no need trade freedom for protection as a shopkeeper in sicily will to mafiosa.

Metaphorical example - the eu can and does involve itself in innumerable minor things to very little purpose and the people in charge of the bureaucrats doing it are unelected commissioners.the eu should have stayed with grand dreams or nothing, it just became grubby and diminished when in people's eyes it was less about peace and grand cooperation and more about restrictions on vacuum cleaners.
    I accept Weedkiller was a rhetorical device on Paul's part. But nobody unelected in the EU budget noises bans on anything. As for Vacuum Cleaners you mean setting market rules for energy efficiency. Entirely copied from the US car fuel efficiency approach from the '60s onwards. set the standards then Smith's invisible hand does the technological innovation and enforcement. It's actually a very small state solution to our environmental crisis. And supranational level s absolutely the best and only way to do it. Economies of scale for producers, the soft power of a huge market requirement and stopping a race to the bottom on competitive devaluation.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    edited September 2016
    Pretty confident to go out on a limb and suggest there will not be a goods based trade war with the EU.
  • Options

Charles said:

@TOPPING FPT

That would be very silly.

If Belarus and Russia can cope with being signatories to the ECHR I'm sure we can.

We just need to learn a bit more about the art of making pious noises while ignoring them. Prisoner votes was a good start.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Charles said:

@TOPPING FPT

Some of us seem to care more about democracy than others....
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Agreed. The question is is this what we're doing ? The electorate has rather given our hand away. By establishing our Red Line publiclly as one that puts us completely outside the club we're negotiating market access from scratch.
    We are not establishing our redlines publically we are going in with a very hard line at the beginning which is what any decent union negotiator does.

What he keeps to himself and May is keeping to herself is how far she is willing to compromise that red line - and in return for what.

It was Cameron who gave away his position before negotiations started by making clear he was for remain whatever so he got a crap deal.
  • Options
    A sane Corbyn vote. Just hold onto that thought.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    DavidL said:

He won among old members and new, there must be the sane among them. He was the most impressive last time, I can see why people would have voted for him.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Disappointing lack of an Admiral Ackbar picture in the article.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Well Jez has been doing that all is parliamentary career ** yet he still has this massive ground root following.

Even if they accept this change and then by surprise even manage to unseat Jez at the conference then the civil war that ensues could be terminal. Jez with a bunch of people not in line with his own thinking is also likely to result in mass fall outs and acrimony.

At this point in the proceedings it is probably better to let the fever run its course applying cold compress where needed and let it break in 2020. The risk is of course there is little left to save at that point or common sense still does not prevail and the body dies anyway.

** from back benches so less impact than as a front bencher / leader
  • Options
    Charles said:

@TOPPING FPT

Unfortunately it is a bit more complicated and insidious than that. With the incorporation of the ECHR into EU law the CJE is now becoming a source of decisions about what the limits of ECHR are. And this is feeding back into decisions of the Court of Human Rights. So the CJE (and our courts) have regard to their decisions but they in turn also have regard to CJE decisions.

The outcome when we leave the EU is going to be unclear. Would our courts have regard to a decision of the CJE on the extent of, say, an Article 6 issue or not? Even if they don't directly I suspect that they will end up doing so indirectly in the manner I have described.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

He won among old members and new, there must be the sane among them. He was the most impressive last time, I can see why people would have voted for him.
    The alternatives were very poor and his simplistic nostrums and certainties went unchallenged until it was way too late. The alternative this time is not great either but he now has a track record as leader to defend and it is atrocious.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Disappointing lack of an Admiral Ackbar picture in the article.

TSE needs to up his photoshopping game!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Someone in the DfT said a few years ago that I had to wear a seat belt!

Restricting my freedom. I’d driven for thousands of miles with no problem.

Overall, I’m safer now, though.

And you could, if you wished, vote for a party prioritising repeal of that law.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited September 2016

In many cases the EU is not the top table... So no we do not have a seat at the decision table.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    edited September 2016
    @Paul_Bedfordshire I'm pleased May won. If we must have a new Conservative PM in response to a national disaster she was clearly the best choice to do it from our existing PCP. She's made some good decisions so far.All the short comings of government policy on Brexit todate are a function of the Crock of Sh*te she inherited not her misjudgement. She's also entirely correct to place immigration control at the centre piece of the partition negotiations. It was what the electorate wanted. I'm just suggesting this is an insane way for a mature, stable and major industrial democracy to recast it's entire economic and Foriegn Policy. This kind of constitutional chaos and collapse is rather,erm, european. I can say with all sincerity that I'm praying for Theresa May. The
  • Options
    Mr. D, a mere screenshot would've been sufficient :p

I'm surprised there hasn't been an #everydaysexism critique of why everyone remembers Ackbar saying it, but not Leia.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Mr. D, a mere screenshot would've been sufficient :p

I'm surprised there hasn't been an #everydaysexism critique of why everyone remembers Ackbar saying it, but not Leia.

Leia should have said something original then ;) Plus I don't think she could quite match the good Admiral's delivery.
  • Options
    Mr. Moses, it's fascinating, from a psychological perspective, to see people demanding to be viewed according to their ethnicity. It's the antithesis of judging someone by the content of their character, rather than the colour of their skin.
  • Options
    Mr. D, I think Leia said it first (Empire Strikes Back, with Ackbar saying it in Return of the Jedi).
  • Options
    London City protest

"We are on scene at the moment and the incident is ongoing.' The spokesman added that officers need to assess the situation

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3775517/Protesters-storm-runway-London-City-Airport-bringing-flights-standstill-stranding-thousands-passengers.html#ixzz4JSRT5ML7

Assess what situation?

They entered a restricted secure zone illegally, they are on a main runway causing massive disruption , the sky's above London are busy enough anyway and are now busier. The risk factor has now gone up for thousands of travellers in the air. Aircraft have to be diverted and landed, major disruption will ensue elsewhere in London airports business and trade will be interrupted.

At the very least a good jail term is required plus some financial cost of the disruption so they get to understand they don't do this.
  • Options

@Paul_Bedfordshire I'm pleased May won. If we must have a new Conservative PM in response to a national disaster she was clearly the best choice to do it from our existing PCP. She's made some good decisions so far.All the short comings of government policy on Brexit todate are a function of the Crock of Sh*te she inherited not her misjudgement. She's also entirely correct to place immigration control at the centre piece of the partition negotiations. It was what the electorate wanted. I'm just suggesting this is an insane way for a mature, stable and major industrial democracy to recast it's entire economic and Foriegn Policy. This kind of constitutional chaos and collapse is rather,erm, european. I can say with all sincerity that I'm praying for Theresa May. The

Apart from the bit about prayer, Hear, Hear.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    kle4 said:

Yes but the point is that if you national government bans the spray for potato blight if you can organise with enough others you can prevail upon them to either not ban it or reverse the ban because they are elected every 5 years and don't want to lose their seats - a full enough postbag works wonders on an mp.

When it is decided at supranational level they are too remote to be got at.

You want to have a government that can be 'got at'.

Our MPs are much more vulnerable to the electorate now that they can no longer say 'Sorry it is an EU regulation we have no choice under the treaties other than to implement'
  • Options

Mr. D, I think Leia said it first (Empire Strikes Back, with Ackbar saying it in Return of the Jedi).

But did she deliver it with the same chair-spinning gloriousness? I think not! :D
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,454
    edited September 2016
    Charles said:

@TOPPING FPT

Yes and no.

Article 46 of the Convention states that signatories, ie Parliament, must abide by, ie follow, the judgements of the ECtHR. However, as you say, our courts must only take into account the ECtHR judgements so can effectively ignore them.

But our courts cannot ignore Parliament!

So if Parliament passes a law that incorporates an ECHR measure (as the HRA did!) , the Supreme Court cannot strike it down.

All of which of course has nothing to do with the EU, but is a consequence of our adherence to the ECHR. It also has a lot to do, however, with a supranational body interfering with our lives and I would have thought was the thing which would have driven Brexiters bonkers.

• Options
    Mr. Moses, indeed. Stop pussyfooting about [which they did for days during the 2011 looting] and drag the criminal scum out of the airport and into the cells.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Yes but the point is that if you national government bans the spray for potato blight if you can organise with enough others you can prevail upon them to either not ban it or reverse the ban because they are elected every 5 years and don't want to lose their seats - a full enough postbag works wonders on an mp.

Our MPs are much more vulnerable to the electorate now that they can no longer say Sorry it is an EU regulation we have no choice 'under the treaties other than to implement'
    You can't get at any government if you live in a safe FPTP seat.
  • Options

Mr. Moses, it's fascinating, from a psychological perspective, to see people demanding to be viewed according to their ethnicity. It's the antithesis of judging someone by the content of their character, rather than the colour of their skin.

Looks like it was actually the "plane stupid" campaign. An apt name.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Yep - and he has already lost the support of pre-2015 members. The sane can be stupid. Their sanity, though, usually prevails in the end. That's where Labour is right now. I'd prefer it otherwise, obviously, but you have to work with what you've got.

• Options

kle4 said:

Our MPs are much more vulnerable to the electorate now that they can no longer say Sorry it is an EU regulation we have no choice 'under the treaties other than to implement'
    There is no such thing. Ask Scottish Labour.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Corbyn never ceases to surprise. I suggested a while back that he should include members/registered supporters, but meant it as a joke.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Wasn't aware the SNP were the Westminster Govenrment.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

kle4 said:

Haltemprice and Howden (with minor boundary changes) has been Tory since 1837 :D What a glorious place to live that must be.

Taking into account the previous seats roughly covering its boundaries, the Society considers that the seat has been held continuously by the Conservative Party since the 1837 general election.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,454
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

@TOPPING FPT

Unfortunately it is a bit more complicated and insidious than that. With the incorporation of the ECHR into EU law the CJE is now becoming a source of decisions about what the limits of ECHR are. And this is feeding back into decisions of the Court of Human Rights. So the CJE (and our courts) have regard to their decisions but they in turn also have regard to CJE decisions.

The outcome when we leave the EU is going to be unclear. Would our courts have regard to a decision of the CJE on the extent of, say, an Article 6 issue or not? Even if they don't directly I suspect that they will end up doing so indirectly in the manner I have described.
    It was after all the Conservatives who wanted our Courts to be bound by Strasbourg.
  • Options

Make deselections interesting...... Lifted off the ground with Jedi strangulation death grip.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Haltemprice and Howden (with minor boundary changes) has been Tory since 1837 :D What a glorious place to live that must be.
    "Give us 5 more years to finish the job"
This discussion has been closed.