Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In praise of Jeremy Corbyn

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068
    edited August 2016

PlatoSaid said:

AP
    BREAKING: EU says Ireland must recover up to 13 billion euros in illegal tax benefits from Apple.

Quite a nice little windfall for the Irish. About €3250 per Irish citizen.

It all goes to the EU, doesn’t it?

And, on Corbyn’s latest idea, how does one avoid being on CCTV in town centres and the like, when going about one’s lawful business.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Jim Waterson
    Corbyn says he's had "long discussions with many people on Bernie Sanders' campaign" and is very impressed with how they took on Clinton.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

PlatoSaid said:

AP
    BREAKING: EU says Ireland must recover up to 13 billion euros in illegal tax benefits from Apple.

No, to Ireland! Back taxes.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    MaxPB said:

John_M said:

MaxPB said:

John_M said:

weejonnie said:

taffys said:

''We see the EU in action today with the attempt to dictate Irish govt tax policies.... The EU used to be thought of as a good thing by the Irish but events are starting to change that view. Oh and the EU will be billing 4million Irish with an extra E380m EU bill this year.''

Britain will surely support us....

Oh, they are leaving....

As are Apple, by the look of it.

Oh, Britain has just cut its corporation tax....

The EU is bankrupt (financially AND morally, but we'll leave the morals out of this) - so will be trying VERY hard to raise money - and the low-hanging fruit are the international corporations.
    The EU is not bankrupt. This idea that it's some kind of financial house of cards propped up by the UK's ~£9bn p.a. has to stop. In the main area I care about, it's fighting the morally good fight by dragging the A8 countries into the 21st century. Multi-nationals playing games with nation-state tax regimes is a practice that needs to be stopped, or at the very least, curtailed.

The EU should not be a bogeyman to anyone. It's an institution, like the NHS or the UN. Some of the things it does are good. Some are neutral. Some are bad. Just an institution.
    The problem is it's pretensions to being a nation state of its own right. That is where most of the poor decision making comes from. Drop that and it's unlikely we would have left.
    I can find fault with it on a number of levels. I just think it should be appraised coolly and analytically, rather than dealing with it as if the UK were leaping into its X-Wing to engage the EU Deathstar.
    Boris is Han Solo, Gove is Luke, Dave is Darth Vader and Junker is Emperor Palpatine. A movie I would watch.
    Juncker is too useless to be Palpatine. More like Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin. (Wilhuff? Really? Apparently so).
  • Options
    Alex Wickham
    The man behind Corbyn's digital democracy launch describes himself as a "cybernetic communist" https://t.co/5ocPBCbKQV
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

PlatoSaid said:

AP

And, on Corbyn’s latest idea, how does one avoid being on CCTV in town centres and the like, when going about one’s lawful business.
    It is corporation tax isn't it?

But if to the EU then we get a share too!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    On a per head basis this tax windfall would be €180 Bn, or £154 Bn if it was equivicised on a per head basis for the UK.

Huge.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    PlatoSaid said:

Jim Waterson
    Corbyn says he's had "long discussions with many people on Bernie Sanders' campaign" and is very impressed with how they took on Clinton.

Sanders lost :-)
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

AP

It is corporation tax isn't it?

But if to the EU then we get a share too!
    No, it goes to the Irish Exchequer.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

John_M said:

weejonnie said:

taffys said:

''We see the EU in action today with the attempt to dictate Irish govt tax policies.... The EU used to be thought of as a good thing by the Irish but events are starting to change that view. Oh and the EU will be billing 4million Irish with an extra E380m EU bill this year.''

Oh, they are leaving....

The EU is bankrupt (financially AND morally, but we'll leave the morals out of this) - so will be trying VERY hard to raise money - and the low-hanging fruit are the international corporations.
    The EU is not bankrupt. This idea that it's some kind of financial house of cards propped up by the UK's ~£9bn p.a. has to stop. In the main area I care about, it's fighting the morally good fight by dragging the A8 countries into the 21st century. Multi-nationals playing games with nation-state tax regimes is a practice that needs to be stopped, or at the very least, curtailed.

The EU should not be a bogeyman to anyone. It's an institution, like the NHS or the UN. Some of the things it does are good. Some are neutral. Some are bad. Just an institution.
    The problem is it's pretensions to being a nation state of its own right. That is where most of the poor decision making comes from. Drop that and it's unlikely we would have left.
    Quite. Apple basing themselves in Ireland is the Single Market working entirely as expected, which is why the EU have for years been targeting Ireland's low rate of corporation tax. Mr Drunker should know this all too well, he did the same as Ireland when he was running Luxembourg.
    The UK has lost the most because of this since with are the number one EU market for Apple.

"if other countries were to require Apple to pay more taxes on the profits recorded by Apple Sales International and Apple Operations Europe for this period. This could be the case if they consider, in view of the information revealed through the Commission’s investigation, that Apple's commercial risks, sales and other activities should have been recorded in their jurisdictions."

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-16-2923_en.htm
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: Corbyn: "this is not a press conference about trains"

What about jam making?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Miss Plato, video evidence of Corbynista's response to his claim of cybernetic warriorhood:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt67k3AEl1s
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

AP

Is there any chance of the Court having a go at Google or Amazon in UK ?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

MaxPB said:

John_M said:

MaxPB said:

John_M said:

weejonnie said:

taffys said:

Oh, they are leaving....

I can find fault with it on a number of levels. I just think it should be appraised coolly and analytically, rather than dealing with it as if the UK were leaping into its X-Wing to engage the EU Deathstar.
    Boris is Han Solo, Gove is Luke, Dave is Darth Vader and Junker is Emperor Palpatine. A movie I would watch.
    Juncker is too useless to be Palpatine. More like Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin. (Wilhuff? Really? Apparently so).
    Juncker Wilhuff and puff, but fail to blow our Brexit down....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    John_M said:

weejonnie said:

taffys said:

Oh, they are leaving....

You're sounding institutionalized....
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @GuidoFawkes: Man who can't work @trainline app promises to bring #DigitalDemocracy to the nation.
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, unfair on Tarkin.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Jim Waterson

Started from a lower base, though.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

AP

I doubt Apple will move out either, Ireland is still a very attractive proposition taxwise within the EU - plus they're BASED there now. Of course Ireland are appealing... but privately they must be chuffed to bits, "the nasty EU took this money off you" - the thought counted in their relationship with Apple...

Cake had and well and truly eaten by Ireland in this case.
    Very true, but it might make other companies think twice before going to Ireland. If something looks too good to be true, then it probably is.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

DavidL said:

Thick skinned? After his tantrum about people asking him the wrong questions?

Thick I will grant you.

Can anyone explain the difference between "having a thick skin" and "being a stubborn bastard"?
    History is written by the winners
  • Options
    Mr. Charles, it's like the difference between being abnormal and being extraordinary.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

AP

Is there any chance of the Court having a go at Google or Amazon in UK ?
    Amazon is based in Luxembourg and Google hasn't signed any sweetheart deals with the UK. Starbucks might face an issue and Vodafone as well, but AIUI neither was as egregious as Apple. Vodafone pay their taxes as national entities in their respective markets and their tax deal in the UK was for UK profits rather than EU profits.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2016

John_M said:

weejonnie said:

taffys said:

Oh, they are leaving....

I'm every inch a plucky Brexiteer who will never abandon lbs and ounces, thinks the metric system is for dunces and drinks tea from a ER II jubilee mug while wearing union jack slippers. I just suffer from institutional anthropomorphism deficiency disorder.

I'm condemned to live in that boring grey world where nothing is ever an unalloyed good or evil.
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

weejonnie said:

taffys said:

Oh, they are leaving....

I'm every inch a plucky Brexiteer who will never abandon lbs and ounces, thinks the metric system is for dunces and drinks tea from a ER II jubilee mug while wearing my union jack slippers. I just suffer from institutional anthropomorphism deficiency disorder.

I'm condemned to live in that boring grey world where nothing is ever an unalloyed good or evil.
    :lol:
  • Options
    On a thread nominally based on Corbyn being underrated:

https://twitter.com/KateEMcCann/status/770565506621472768
  • Options
    Strange but true: if we go back to proper measures, including currency, I've got a jar full of sixpences. If I can find it.

Where people get the idea I'm older than I am, I really don't know.
  • Options
    Linda Yueh
    Merkel refusing to say whether she will run as CDU party’s candidate for chancellor in next year’s general election https://t.co/yxK5R70tVc
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177
    Pulpstar said:

On a per head basis this tax windfall would be €180 Bn, or £154 Bn if it was equivicised on a per head basis for the UK.

Huge.

Nice verb, but equivisized works better for me.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Linda Yueh
    Merkel refusing to say whether she will run as CDU party’s candidate for chancellor in next year’s general election https://t.co/yxK5R70tVc

Reading around, I think she'd like to, but she's suffering from Thatcher's problem. Her party has started to wonder if she's still an electoral asset.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177

Strange but true: if we go back to proper measures, including currency, I've got a jar full of sixpences. If I can find it.

Where people get the idea I'm older than I am, I really don't know.

Too many puddings?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Digital strategy:
    We will protect the human right of individual privacy
    with strict laws against the unauthorised hacking of Digital Citizen Passports by either public
    bodies or private individuals

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/corbynstays/pages/329/attachments/original/1472552058/Digital_Democracy.pdf?1472552058
    Strict laws. That'll stop them.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

PlatoSaid said:

Jim Waterson

But he lost with *feeling*

This, not winning, matters to Corbyn....
  • Options
    Miss Plato, that's pretty significant. I thought it was near certain she would.
  • Options
    Mr. Tokyo, hey, don't mock strict laws. They're the reason nobody gets murdered any more.

Mr. W, au contraire, gluttony is my least favourite of the deadly sins.

There is a wasp in this room. Bugger.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

AP

I doubt Apple will move out either, Ireland is still a very attractive proposition taxwise within the EU - plus they're BASED there now. Of course Ireland are appealing... but privately they must be chuffed to bits, "the nasty EU took this money off you" - the thought counted in their relationship with Apple...

Very true, but it might make other companies think twice before going to Ireland. If something looks too good to be true, then it probably is.
    Where else is there to go in the EU with such an attractive tax regime. You also have a land border with the soon to be largest (nearby) non-EU economy - Ireland is in a great place I think.
  • Options

He's lulling them into a false security.

A bit like Rome against Carthage during The Second Punic War.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,072
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

AP

Where else is there to go in the EU with such an attractive tax regime. You also have a land border with the soon to be largest (nearby) non-EU economy - Ireland is in a great place I think.
    Most East European countries and the Baltics have sub 20% tax rates, albeit that's still above 12.5%.
  • Options

They really are clueless...
  • Options

Mr. Tokyo, hey, don't mock strict laws. They're the reason nobody gets murdered any more.

Call it malcolmg for the authentic pbc experience: creates a nuisance, gives off an irritating noise, has the potential to sting repeatedly but serves no positive purpose whatsoever.
  • Options

True, but they wouldn't work as well if you could murder people by sending them an email from anywhere in the world entitled "I have uploaded a photo to my web space".
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, are you suggesting Corbyn will permanently crush the Conservative Party as a party with a legitimate aspiration of government?

• Options
    Re Apple and tax:

Today's ruling is in many way's the least interesting Apple tax case coming up in the next 18 months. There are at least three others that I'm aware of, each of which has far greater effect on multinationals tax paying than the EU/Ireland one.

There are two separate cases regarding abuse of transfer pricing - i.e. making a subsidiary in a high tax country make a loss by requiring to make 'license' payments to Apple Ireland or Apple BVI or equivalent.

There is also a very interesting case regarding what exactly is local content, and whether putting a circuit board in a box truly counts as locally made.

As an aside, I very much doubt Apple will pay EUR11bn to the Irish authorities; a workaround will be found. But if Apple loses the other cases, it could have a major impact on how multinationals are taxes worldwide.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, are you suggesting Corbyn will permanently crush the Conservative Party as a party with a legitimate aspiration of government?

Brexit might well achieve that.

All will be revealed in an upcoming thread. Brexit - The New Corn Laws.

David Cameron = Sir Robert Peel, with two stints as PM.
  • Options

Re the wasp, I'm surprised more people haven't talked about my references to hornets in the thread header. I'm really proud of that line.
  • Options
    Rejoice!

I have evacuated the wasp, with tactics of which Hannibal would be proud.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    By his friends, you shall know him...

http://order-order.com/2016/08/30/corbyns-digital-democracy-guru-supports-continuity-iras-armed-struggle/

Corbyn and his friends have a very skewed idea as to what democracy is. It is almost as if they don't believe in it...
  • Options
    Alex Wickham
    Corbyn's digital guru supports armed Irish republican movement Óglaigh na hÉireann: https://t.co/EQBC5AvbNb https://t.co/1w6h1vEkr1
  • Options

2020 will be

Springtime for May and Conservatives, winter for Corbyn and Lab.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited August 2016

http://order-order.com/2016/08/30/corbyns-digital-democracy-guru-supports-continuity-iras-armed-struggle/

Corbyn and his friends have a very skewed idea as to what democracy is. It is almost as if they don't believe in it...

You couldn't make this shit up. I can only imagine the stories we will get during the GE campaign when the papers really go digging .
  • Options

Rejoice!

You hid from it for 20 years and the committed suicide?
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    rcs1000 said:

Re Apple and tax:

Today's ruling is in many way's the least interesting Apple tax case coming up in the next 18 months. There are at least three others that I'm aware of, each of which has far greater effect on multinationals tax paying than the EU/Ireland one.

There are two separate cases regarding abuse of transfer pricing - i.e. making a subsidiary in a high tax country make a loss by requiring to make 'license' payments to Apple Ireland or Apple BVI or equivalent.

There is also a very interesting case regarding what exactly is local content, and whether putting a circuit board in a box truly counts as locally made.

As an aside, I very much doubt Apple will pay EUR11bn to the Irish authorities; a workaround will be found. But if Apple loses the other cases, it could have a major impact on how multinationals are taxes worldwide.

Will Philip Hammond be enjoying this?

It surely undermines Ireland's reputation for legal/tax certainty, which I would have thought might reduce the chances of major firms doing a "Brexit flounce" from the UK.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/30/us/politics/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-debate.html?_r=0

Pretty funny read

'Mr. Schwartz, in an interview, declined to comment about any conversations with the Clinton campaign, but he said Mr. Trump would be vulnerable if Mrs. Clinton proved to be calm, deliberate and relentless in attacking Mr. Trump’s character, volatility and readiness to be commander in chief.

“Trump has severe attention problems and simply cannot take in complex information — he will be unable to practice for these debates,” said Mr. Schwartz, who was the subject of a New Yorker profile last month that portrayed Mr. Trump as a charlatan. “Trump will bring nothing but his bluster to the debates. He’ll use sixth-grade language, he will repeat himself many times, he won’t complete sentences, and he won’t say anything of substance.”
  • Options

You couldn't make this shit up.
    And if you tried, no-one would believe you.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Rejoice!

With fava beans and a nice chianti ?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, thou art a thief! A bounder, a stealer of words, a larcenous lexicographer!

From the thread-header: "...just accidentally inserted his penis and scrotum into a hornets’ nest..."

From Sir Edric's Treasure, the second story in The Adventures of Sir Edric [link below]: "It had only been founded two hundred years ago, during the last Imperial Schism when the Emperor of Limitless Wisdom had died after an ill-fated attempt to impregnate a beehive."

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventures-Edric-Hero-Hornska-Book-ebook/dp/B01DOSP9ZK/

[I am trying not to bang on about it. But come on].
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

You shouldn't judge a person by their appearance, but that hat, AND the angle at which it is worn, immediately set off my alarm bell.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

You couldn't make this shit up. I can only imagine the stories we will get during the GE campaign when the papers really go digging .
    I hoped for a second it was in fact a Cycling Proficiency badge...
  • Options
    Mr. Herdson, 'hiding' tends not to include revolutionary naval tactics. How many men have used snakes in naval warfare?

Mr. W, big Amarone, actually.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    On the plus side Jez and the Labour Party as a whole will accomplish at least one thing. Their years 1996 to 2016 will provided endless research for future PHD students and those irritating questions at O and A level where you were convinced the question was made up or the paper developer had been on the sauce all the previous night.
  • Options
    @ladyhaja: BREAKING: Corbyn announces Excel spreadsheet to end racism
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, thou art a thief! A bounder, a stealer of words, a larcenous lexicographer!

From the thread-header: "...just accidentally inserted his penis and scrotum into a hornets’ nest..."

From Sir Edric's Treasure, the second story in The Adventures of Sir Edric [link below]: "It had only been founded two hundred years ago, during the last Imperial Schism when the Emperor of Limitless Wisdom had died after an ill-fated attempt to impregnate a beehive."

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventures-Edric-Hero-Hornska-Book-ebook/dp/B01DOSP9ZK/

Great minds think alike.

The original version was Those expecting Jeremy Corbyn to comport himself at the next general election with all the dignity, competence, and elan of a bear with a wasp trapped under its foreskin
  • Options
    edited August 2016

You couldn't make this shit up.
    And if you tried, no-one would believe you.
    Actually that is a little bit of a problem, lots of people still see jahadi jez & mcmao as harmless old men with some slightly bonkers ideas, when they actually support some very danger causes & are surrounded by extremist individuals.

Look at their reaction to train gate, not well we have been caught out, woophsie, let's shut up for a week or two, no it was beardy branson & virgin trains must be crushed.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, you've clearly been inspired by my excellent wordcraft.
  • Options
    619 said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/30/us/politics/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-debate.html?_r=0

Pretty funny read

'Mr. Schwartz, in an interview, declined to comment about any conversations with the Clinton campaign, but he said Mr. Trump would be vulnerable if Mrs. Clinton proved to be calm, deliberate and relentless in attacking Mr. Trump’s character, volatility and readiness to be commander in chief.

“Trump has severe attention problems and simply cannot take in complex information — he will be unable to practice for these debates,” said Mr. Schwartz, who was the subject of a New Yorker profile last month that portrayed Mr. Trump as a charlatan. “Trump will bring nothing but his bluster to the debates. He’ll use sixth-grade language, he will repeat himself many times, he won’t complete sentences, and he won’t say anything of substance.”

Intriguing - considering we are in a thread about not under-estimating your opponents.
  • Options
    Nice bit in the Corbyn digital strategy: When you change the address of your ID card Digital Citizen Passport they'll automatically update the electoral register.

(Can't link direct to the place in the document because it's a sodding PDF, but it's near the end.)
    https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/corbynstays/pages/329/attachments/original/1472552058/Digital_Democracy.pdf?1472552058
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    glw said:

You shouldn't judge a person by their appearance, but that hat, AND the angle at which it is worn, immediately set off my alarm bell.
    Straight out of the Tooting Revolutionary front.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

In the local elections opposition parties should be well ahead, in his first local elections Corbyn did worse than Ed Miliband, Howard and IDS none of whom became PM

In Miliband's first set of local elections as leader - 2011 - Labour lagged the Tories in NEV by 1%. In 2016 , on the same basis Labour led the Tories by 1% - so Corrbyn did manage to outperform Milliband by 2% in terms of party lead.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

In the local elections opposition parties should be well ahead, in his first local elections Corbyn did worse than Ed Miliband, Howard and IDS none of whom became PM

In Miliband's first set of local elections as leader - 2011 - Labour lagged the Tories in NEV by 1%. In 2016 , on the same basis Labour led the Tories by 1% - so Corrbyn did manage to outperform Milliband by 2% in terms of party lead.
    You do keep on with this line.

The seats being contested in 2011 were not the same as those as in 2016 - and so the comparison fails.

The 2016 seats should have been far more favourable for Labour than a 1% lead in the estimated vote share.

Corbyn lost ground where he should have been making significant gains.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Rejoice!

You hid from it for 20 years and the committed suicide?
    Waspicide.....

https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/waspicide
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    So he going to spend 25bn of our money on the interweb upgrade. Is he just going to hand that over to BT & tell them to get on with it?

Edit - sorry he is also threatening to renationise BT .
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054

Great minds think alike.

The original version was Those expecting Jeremy Corbyn to comport himself at the next general election with all the dignity, competence, and elan of a bear with a wasp trapped under its foreskin
    I prefer the original version to be honest.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

619 said:

Pretty funny read

Intriguing - considering we are in a thread about not under-estimating your opponents.
    We're beyond the bit about not under-estimating Team Corbyn. We've opened out Twitter feeds and discovered that they're pretty much impossible to under-estimate.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited August 2016
    kle4 said:

Great minds think alike.

I prefer the original version to be honest.
    So do I. I'll use it in a future thread.
  • Options
    He also said all public funded software should be released via open source licence. Is that going to include things like any software created when undertaking university funded research? What about GCHQ software?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    I'm sure Corbyn will comport himself perfectly adequately at the GE, if he makes it that far. The trouble will be the hornets' nests that he has - ahem - engaged with in the past.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

So he going to spend 25bn of our money on the interweb upgrade. Is he just going to hand that over to BT & tell them to get on with it?

He's old enough to remember how bad things were. Things aren't perfect in the UK, but our telecoms sector is better than a lot of similar countries, particularly when you take cost into consideration.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    edited August 2016
    Amazing how many of gentle, polite and decent Jeremy's friends are like this.
    https://twitter.com/johnrentoul/status/770579377620971520
  • Options
    @JohnRentoul: No, I didn't believe https://t.co/Ukbn0nxnMg existed either https://t.co/EqkDqmUKjp
  • Options

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

The seats being contested in 2011 were not the same as those as in 2016 - and so the comparison fails.

The 2016 seats should have been far more favourable for Labour than a 1% lead in the estimated vote share.

NEV is calculated to remove the distortions created by the various different rounds of seats. Justin is right on that one.

All the same, it doesn't necessarily prove that Corbyn would outperform the polls. We don't know to what extent Labour's reasonably good showing was down to the fact that the country couldn't end up with Corbyn given that these weren't national elections - the equivalent perhaps being Hague winning the 1999 Euroelection. We also have to factor in that the Conservatives were engaged in an almighty row over Brexit at the time and that Cameron's personal ratings were plummeting towards Cleggite levels.

By contrast, the Conservatives are currently about 14% better off in the polls than they were this time last parliament (Con lead of 8.8 vs Lab lead of 5.2 in Aug 2011).
  • Options

He also said all public funded software should be released via open source licence. Is that going to include things like any software created when undertaking university funded research? What about GCHQ software?

I should think so, follow the NSA's example.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    25yrs ago today, Alistair Burnet final News At Ten

https://youtu.be/yQ4ff1snVUw
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

We'll keep correcting him in time honoured PB fashion! It is at least more interesting than hearing IOS banging on about the great Labour ground game...
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Re Apple and tax:

Will Philip Hammond be enjoying this?

It surely undermines Ireland's reputation for legal/tax certainty, which I would have thought might reduce the chances of major firms doing a "Brexit flounce" from the UK.
    Two of these cases are actually US ones, and the other is closer to home. Nevertheless, I think you point is generally correct: greater global focus on tax optimisation strategies disadvantages tax havens.

(I spoke at a conference in Melbourne today about an American oil company's methods of avoiding Australian corporation tax. It's fair to say that there is a lot of interest in stopping corporates from avoiding tax. And should you care; here's a piece I wrote about what drove US profit increases in the period since 2007: http://www.thstailwinds.com/chasing-their-tails/)
  • Options
    Corbyn's internet mate is a right charmer:
    https://twitter.com/adambienkov/status/770581519475900416
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

25yrs ago today, Alistair Burnet final News At Ten

https://youtu.be/yQ4ff1snVUw

Wow: what a great find. It's amazing how much has changed in the last quarter century.
  • Options
    I'm shocked

Alex Wickham
    Corbyn digital guru also shared a link to extremist site claiming "Israel lobby" manufactured anti-Semitism scandal https://t.co/xr6TFIrHIc
  • Options
    edited August 2016

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

NEV is calculated to remove the distortions created by the various different rounds of seats. Justin is right on that one.

All the same, it doesn't necessarily prove that Corbyn would outperform the polls. We don't know to what extent Labour's reasonably good showing was down to the fact that the country couldn't end up with Corbyn given that these weren't national elections - the equivalent perhaps being Hague winning the 1999 Euroelection. We also have to factor in that the Conservatives were engaged in an almighty row over Brexit at the time and that Cameron's personal ratings were plummeting towards Cleggite levels.

By contrast, the Conservatives are currently about 14% better off in the polls than they were this time last parliament (Con lead of 8.8 vs Lab lead of 5.2 in Aug 2011).
    The 2011/2016 comparator was quite an easy one for Corbyn to beat the NEV -1 % was not that high a bar but if we are being fair we can see he beat it by 2%.

For Corbyn to keep up with this, he has quite a task on his hands next year to beat Ed Miliband's 6% NEV lead in the 2012 elections (In 2017). Hence this is the bar he should be judged on of course.

If Corbyn is heading for government, I think he needs to be looking at ~ 7+% NEV lead, and then to sustain that through 2018, 19 and not drop off as Ed did.

6% might be passable but you'd still probably back May et al.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,723

So what is wrong with White, Anglo-Saxon Protestants? You, sir, are a Waspist!

(Pleased to hear it all ended safely)
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

I'm shocked

Alex Wickham
    Corbyn digital guru also shared a link to extremist site claiming "Israel lobby" manufactured anti-Semitism scandal https://t.co/xr6TFIrHIc

No Anti-Semitism problem in the Labour Party....we had an official report and everything...
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548

In a highly competitive field, that has to be one of the dumbest ideas Corbyn has come up with doesn't it? That would mean not just putting all the software for Hinkley Point within Chinese hands, but putting it on the internet right? So anyone could hack it, spot the weaknesses, and steal it for any other commercial projects? If I was a software supplier, and had to make my code open source for a Goverment contract, I'd never bid, or would charge through the roof.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

In a highly competitive field, that has to be one of the dumbest ideas Corbyn has come up with doesn't it? That would mean not just putting all the software for Hinkley Point within Chinese hands, but putting it on the internet right? So anyone could hack it, spot the weaknesses, and steal it for any other commercial projects? If I was a software supplier, and had to make my code open source for a Goverment contract, I'd never bid, or would charge through the roof.
    Technically, you could release it under an open source license and... errr... not tell anyone about it.

On the positive side, anything which prevents us driving up electricity prices via building an enormous white elephant is probably a good thing.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    tpfkar said:

I am presuming even the madman behind this stuff would say there are provisos. But I bet given the bonkers world view of thee people stuff like university research, private sector contracts building public sector IT, would be part of it.

If somebody did some cutting edge research and had to make all their code open, we would never have any university tech spin offs ever again. Often even with the academic paper, making something work smoothly is a large amount of the battle.
  • Options
    Afternoon all - best part of 3 weeks abroad but have kept up with the death of the Labour Party.

Corbyn can win a general election. In politics all things are possible. But for him to win means doing things that have never been done before. So the party would need to do three things:

1. The PLP would need to solidly unite behind him. At the moment we aren't a shadow government, we don't have sufficient people to fill all the shadow cabinet never mind shadow ministers. So some of the 172 will have to find confidence in him and get on with it.
    The tricky bit is the Humphries test - "you had no confidence in your leader but now you say you do - what has changed. Is that credible?" - this is the bit I can't get my head around how it can work, but work it would need to do

2. The membership would need to reconcile itself to differences of opinion and perspective. Sat here now its clear that once Corbyn is reelected the purge will be launched and they (Momentum, the shouty angry minority of new members etc) are coming after everyone who doesn't pledge fealty to Jeremy. Not only that I expect Jezbollah top go after anyone who holds non-acceptable jobs. Deselection of MPs and Councillors, removal of party officials, and slate elections for CLPs will split the party asunder, so for Corbyn to win this can't happen

3. Corbyn needs to hire the best PR media spin people in the world. Traingate demonstrated many things - gross incompetence of his media team and a basic lack of understanding how the media works in his inner sanctum. Hysterical "ideology demands I ignore my eyes" memes about how the CCTV images were forged. And then just as the flames start to drop they demand Branson loses his knighthood. Or we can look at Atricle 50-gate. Where the Labour party briefs MPs and hacks on the agreed position - not to invoke A50 immediately - whilst Corbyn goes on live TV to say the direct opposite. Corbyn would need to accept that collective responsibility applies to him as well

None of these things will happen. Corbyn will win the election handsomely. We are sunk.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    edited August 2016

I see the digital democracy manifesto is unravelling rather quickly. To me Corbyn seems to propose two things, regardless of policy area

1. spend more money
    2. renationalise

With the Authors somewhat dubious background, the Tories will have an absolute field day during any General election campaign with Jez at Labours helm.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

TBF a lot of people find this unintuitive but making it possible for anyone to hack software and spot weaknesses tends to increase security rather than decrease it. There are some exceptions, but if we're talking about high-profile software that isn't connected to the internet this probably isn't one of them.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

The NEV calculation is made each year by Rallings & Thrasher, and their model takes account of where elections are being held. On the basis of their objective analysis Corbyn performed better in relation to the Tories in 2016 than did Miliband back in 2011.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    The CEO of Apple is not a happy bunny!
This discussion has been closed.