Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In praise of Jeremy Corbyn

124»

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,071
    tlg86 said:

The CEO of Apple is not a happy bunny!

Apple has sailed very close to the wind on a lot of tax issues. It's hard to feel terribly sympathetic towards them.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited August 2016
    Pulpstar said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

In the local elections opposition parties should be well ahead, in his first local elections Corbyn did worse than Ed Miliband, Howard and IDS none of whom became PM

In Miliband's first set of local elections as leader - 2011 - Labour lagged the Tories in NEV by 1%. In 2016 , on the same basis Labour led the Tories by 1% - so Corrbyn did manage to outperform Milliband by 2% in terms of party lead.
    You do keep on with this line.

The seats being contested in 2011 were not the same as those as in 2016 - and so the comparison fails.

The 2016 seats should have been far more favourable for Labour than a 1% lead in the estimated vote share.

Corbyn lost ground where he should have been making significant gains.
    NEV is calculated to remove the distortions created by the various different rounds of seats. Justin is right on that one.

All the same, it doesn't necessarily prove that Corbyn would outperform the polls. We don't know to what extent Labour's reasonably good showing was down to the fact that the country couldn't end up with Corbyn given that these weren't national elections - the equivalent perhaps being Hague winning the 1999 Euroelection. We also have to factor in that the Conservatives were engaged in an almighty row over Brexit at the time and that Cameron's personal ratings were plummeting towards Cleggite levels.

By contrast, the Conservatives are currently about 14% better off in the polls than they were this time last parliament (Con lead of 8.8 vs Lab lead of 5.2 in Aug 2011).
    The 2011/2016 comparator was quite an easy one for Corbyn to beat the NEV -1 % was not that high a bar but if we are being fair we can see he beat it by 2%.

For Corbyn to keep up with this, he has quite a task on his hands next year to beat Ed Miliband's 6% NEV lead in the 2012 elections (In 2017). Hence this is the bar he should be judged on of course.

If Corbyn is heading for government, I think he needs to be looking at ~ 7+% NEV lead, and then to sustain that through 2018, 19 and not drop off as Ed did.

6% might be passable but you'd still probably back May et al.
    I agree with that. However, Labour under Gaitskell experienced poor local election results in both 1960 and 1961 yet still went on to win the 1964 election!
  • Options
    vikvik Posts: 157
    Trump continues to gain on Clinton in the NBC News/SurveyMonkey poll.

08/8 - 14/8 poll: Clinton +6
    15/8 - 21/8 poll: Clinton +5
    22/8 - 28/8 poll: Clinton +4

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton_vs_johnson_vs_stein-5952.html
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Apple has sailed very close to the wind on a lot of tax issues. It's hard to feel terribly sympathetic towards them.''

The Irish government is in an interesting position. At the moment, they appear to be fighting fiercely not to get an extra 13bn in taxes.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Apple has sailed very close to the wind on a lot of tax issues. It's hard to feel terribly sympathetic towards them.
    Especially when one considers the amount of tax that this nation has lost out on. British consumers buy Apple products and services, the profits are offshored to Ireland and then they do a dirty deal which sees them pay just 1% on it all. No sympathy.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited August 2016

Afternoon all - best part of 3 weeks abroad but have kept up with the death of the Labour Party.

Corbyn can win a general election. In politics all things are possible. But for him to win means doing things that have never been done before. So the party would need to do three things:

1. The PLP would need to solidly unite behind him. At the moment we aren't a shadow government, we don't have sufficient people to fill all the shadow cabinet never mind shadow ministers. So some of the 172 will have to find confidence in him and get on with it.
    The tricky bit is the Humphries test - "you had no confidence in your leader but now you say you do - what has changed. Is that credible?" - this is the bit I can't get my head around how it can work, but work it would need to do

2. The membership would need to reconcile itself to differences of opinion and perspective. Sat here now its clear that once Corbyn is reelected the purge will be launched and they (Momentum, the shouty angry minority of new members etc) are coming after everyone who doesn't pledge fealty to Jeremy. Not only that I expect Jezbollah top go after anyone who holds non-acceptable jobs. Deselection of MPs and Councillors, removal of party officials, and slate elections for CLPs will split the party asunder, so for Corbyn to win this can't happen

3. Corbyn needs to hire the best PR media spin people in the world. Traingate demonstrated many things - gross incompetence of his media team and a basic lack of understanding how the media works in his inner sanctum. Hysterical "ideology demands I ignore my eyes" memes about how the CCTV images were forged. And then just as the flames start to drop they demand Branson loses his knighthood. Or we can look at Atricle 50-gate. Where the Labour party briefs MPs and hacks on the agreed position - not to invoke A50 immediately - whilst Corbyn goes on live TV to say the direct opposite. Corbyn would need to accept that collective responsibility applies to him as well

None of these things will happen. Corbyn will win the election handsomely. We are sunk.

Don't do this to yourself; it's painful to watch.

What about the LibDems or is the Lab brand too deeply ingrained?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited August 2016
    justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

In the local elections opposition parties should be well ahead, in his first local elections Corbyn did worse than Ed Miliband, Howard and IDS none of whom became PM

In Miliband's first set of local elections as leader - 2011 - Labour lagged the Tories in NEV by 1%. In 2016 , on the same basis Labour led the Tories by 1% - so Corrbyn did manage to outperform Milliband by 2% in terms of party lead.

The seats being contested in 2011 were not the same as those as in 2016 - and so the comparison fails.

The 2016 seats should have been far more favourable for Labour than a 1% lead in the estimated vote share.

NEV is calculated to remove the distortions created by the various different rounds of seats. Justin is right on that one.

All the same, it doesn't necessarily prove that Corbyn would outperform the polls. We don't know to what extent Labour's reasonably good showing was down to the fact that the country couldn't end up with Corbyn given that these weren't national elections - the equivalent perhaps being Hague winning the 1999 Euroelection. We also have to factor in that the Conservatives were engaged in an almighty row over Brexit at the time and that Cameron's personal ratings were plummeting towards Cleggite levels.

By contrast, the Conservatives are currently about 14% better off in the polls than they were this time last parliament (Con lead of 8.8 vs Lab lead of 5.2 in Aug 2011).
    The 2011/2016 comparator was quite an easy one for Corbyn to beat the NEV -1 % was not that high a bar but if we are being fair we can see he beat it by 2%.

For Corbyn to keep up with this, he has quite a task on his hands next year to beat Ed Miliband's 6% NEV lead in the 2012 elections (In 2017). Hence this is the bar he should be judged on of course.

If Corbyn is heading for government, I think he needs to be looking at ~ 7+% NEV lead, and then to sustain that through 2018, 19 and not drop off as Ed did.

I agree with that. However, Labour under Gaitskell experienced poor local election results in both 1960 and 1961 yet still went on to win the 1964 election!
    Corbyn needs to pass over the reins in late 2018 for that to work. Who can be Labour's Wilson !
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Especially when one considers the amount of tax that this nation has lost out on. British consumers buy Apple products and services, the profits are offshored to Ireland and then they do a dirty deal which sees them pay just 1% on it all. No sympathy.
    Shouldn't you be on the side of the Irish government, prevented by the dastardly EU from setting its own tax rate to attract investment?
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Apple has sailed very close to the wind on a lot of tax issues. It's hard to feel terribly sympathetic towards them.''

The Irish government is in an interesting position. At the moment, they appear to be fighting fiercely not to get an extra 13bn in taxes.

It undermines their whole tax haven posture. Without the sweetheart deal there is no way that Apple would be based on Cork with 5,000 highly paid employees. Surrey, Jony Ive's home, would be a much more likely European base for them as he has been on the edge of giving it all up to come back to the UK. We've directly lost out on tax revenue, but also lost indirectly on a potential HQ and lesser employment by Apple in the UK. Ireland's gain has been the UK's loss.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Corbyn needs to pass over the reins in late 2018 for that to work.
    That may well happen - though I believe that Gaitskell would have won in 1964 had he lived.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    taffys said:

They're fighting not to have the EU dictate their taxation policy.

I'm not quite sure they've understood how this EU stuff works. Loss of national sovereignty is precisely the point.
  • Options
    How is this BBC activity justifiable under the licence fee tax?

“The BBC have told Sir Cliff’s team that they are in no doubt everything was done by the book.
    “They have said that the journalist who was given the story at the BBC went to the head of news, who contacted BBC legal and head of legal and even consulted an external media lawyer to clarify their position.
    “This took three full days. It was not a spur of the moment thing to broadcast the raid.
    "It was planned and strategic for the entire broadcast of the story.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bbc-tell-cliff-richard-wont-8719274?ref=yfp
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

I'm not quite sure they've understood how this EU stuff works. Loss of national sovereignty is precisely the point.
    Exactement.

Of course I would rephrase it that Ireland agreed to join a club in which this was one of the rules but the principle is exactly one of sovereignty.

Question, as we know all too well, is whether it is worth accepting the rules when material advantage can be gained by breaking them. Or leaving..
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Shouldn't you be on the side of the Irish government, prevented from setting its own tax rate to attract investment by the dastardly EU?
    If they want to set their tax rate to 1% then I'd have no problem with it, but they haven't done that. They've made sweetheart deals with multinationals in a free capital movement zone. It is economic warfare. As I said earlier, it is a rare point of agreement I have with the commission. The rules over state aid exist to stop sweetheart deals as they undermine the free movement of capital within the zone, those in the zone should adhere to the rules. Us voting to leave the EU is completely separate to following the rules.
  • Options
    TSE do bears have foreskins? I ask because my stepmother used to have a piece of jewellery made from a bear's pizzle (penis bone). They're Obviously not constructed quite the same down there as you and me!

On Apple: Presumably once we're free of the EU we can set Corporation Tax to whatever level suits us, no matter how predatory, and undermine Ireland and Luxembourg to ours heart's content.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

TSE do bears have foreskins? I ask because my stepmother used to have a piece of jewellery made from a bear's pizzle (penis bone). They're Obviously not constructed quite the same down there as you and me!

On Apple: Presumably once we're free of the EU we can set Corporation Tax to whatever level suits us, no matter how predatory, and undermine Ireland and Luxembourg to ours heart's content.

http://presidentialpolls-2016.com/

2016 Election Polls: Clinton vs. Trump

Undoubtedly the party conventions have shifted the presidential 2016 Election Polls significantly toward Clinton. Trump’s own words goes against him in context of some recent activities. It seems that in this 2016 Election Polls “Clinton vs. Trump” debate Trump himself gave away some points by his harsh words in some sensitive issues. Such as being in a strife with a slain Muslim-American soldier died in an action in Iraq, blundering about Veteran’s right, Provoking speech to Mexican-American and last of all others his recent conflict with a Federal judge concerning his nonfunctional Trump’s University.

Presidential Polls 2016

Clinton vs. Trump according to 2016 Election Polls

2016 Election Polls “Clinton vs. Trump” has become the new talk in the entire nation as the national polls as well as state polls published few hours earlier. The national polling average has put Clinton ahead of Trump by 7%. As the main rival party is now Democrat Clinton and Republican Trump the National polls has become now the 2016 Election Polls is “Clinton vs. Trump” Polls. The Upshot Forecast is depicting that Clinton has an 84% chance to win the presidency if they held today. Using the Huffington Post’s polling database the national polling average show that polls started from July 29 – August 8 are used to show this result. Polls conducted more recently and polls with a larger sample size are given greater weight in computing the averages, and polls with partisan sponsors are excluded.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Shouldn't you be on the side of the Irish government, prevented from setting its own tax rate to attract investment by the dastardly EU?
    If they want to set their tax rate to 1% then I'd have no problem with it, but they haven't done that. They've made sweetheart deals with multinationals in a free capital movement zone. It is economic warfare. As I said earlier, it is a rare point of agreement I have with the commission. The rules over state aid exist to stop sweetheart deals as they undermine the free movement of capital within the zone, those in the zone should adhere to the rules. Us voting to leave the EU is completely separate to following the rules.
    It's an interesting case. Apple says that the marketing and technology that contribute to their Irish profits are not based in Ireland, only the manufacturing.

The Irish government chose to accept that argument (no one has ever said Apple were evading tax), and yes, the EU has identified that as a sweetheart deal.

But it is still the EU meddling in the affairs of one of its member states which I had imagined would drive you mad with frustration. As you guys have always said, it's not the numbers that matter, it's the principle.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    vik said:

Trump continues to gain on Clinton in the NBC News/SurveyMonkey poll.

08/8 - 14/8 poll: Clinton +6
    15/8 - 21/8 poll: Clinton +5
    22/8 - 28/8 poll: Clinton +4

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton_vs_johnson_vs_stein-5952.html

hmmmm. its still a clear lead by clinton coming into labour day. and she has a lead in money, state polls, adverts on tv and on the ground operations.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    That picture of Jeremy Corbyn reminds of this one of Paul Boateng. I think on balance, y'know, I much prefer Corbyn.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Shouldn't you be on the side of the Irish government, prevented by the dastardly EU from setting its own tax rate to attract investment?
    It's transfer pricing that is the issue, not corporation tax rates in Ireland. Most people on either side of the EU argument think that a lot of companies take the piss.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

You need to be a bit careful about that line of argument, mind. There are plenty of people in the EU who use it to argue for complete harmonisation of corporate, direct and indirect tax rates.

And labour standards.

And regulatory systems.

etc.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Patrick said:

This would have been possible, because the rest of the EU would have signed an agreement letting British-based companies sell freely to their consumers without it occurring to them to demand restrictions on predatory taxation in return. However, you just went and gave the game away.
  • Options
    If I'm reading this right, Ireland seems to be fighting for the right to cheat on obligations they signed up to.
  • Options
    glw said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

It's transfer pricing that is the issue, not corporation tax rates in Ireland. Most people on either side of the EU argument think that a lot of companies take the piss.
    And indeed they do and transfer pricing by companies based out of Ireland, Luxembourg, etc, is an issue.

But here we have a 25-yr old deal which the EU has noticed and doesn't like and told a member state government has been against the rules, and everyone is cheering on the EU.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

He who skates on thin ice, and all that.

Some of it was clearly a sham arrangement, to use its proper meaning, i.e. with the acquiescence of both sides. The more difficult question is whether that was a valid thing for the Irish government to do.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Was he also telling us to stay in the EU?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Gaitskell lost the 1959 election, it was Wilson who won the election in 1964
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207
    Surely if the EU is to be taken seriously they need to fine Ireland a significant sum of money?
  • Options
    runnymede said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

You need to be a bit careful about that line of argument, mind. There are plenty of people in the EU who use it to argue for complete harmonisation of corporate, direct and indirect tax rates.

And labour standards.

And regulatory systems.

etc.
    s'ok. It's one of those I agree with that particular rule so it's a good rule regardless of my previous spitting feathers at just such rules situations.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

But here we have a 25-yr old deal which the EU has noticed and doesn't like and told a member state government has been against the rules, and everyone is cheering on the EU.

Personally I don't care about Ireland other than how it affects the UK, if they want to let multi-nationals pay bugger all tax that's up to them.

Our problem is that Apple does business in such a way as to make very little money in the UK, by paying Apple Ireland a lot, even though we are Apple's fourth largest market and Apple is an incredibly profitable company. I'd like to see that stopped in or out of the EU, as I assume would most people.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

He's no Steve Jobs.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

I don't think that's the case here. The EU - like NAFTA, and pretty much every FTA - includes rules to limit state subsidies. In other words, we can't enter into an FTA with (picking a random country) Norway, which then uses government funds to subsidise the Norwegian car industry and put the British car industry out of business.

That was the grounds on which this case was fought.

Now, there is a justifiable question about whether 'sweetheart tax deals' are state subsidy, but if they are, then giving preferential tax treatment, i.e. 1% tax rates rather than the Republic's standard 12.5%, was always going to end in trouble.

To my mind, this is a much less interesting case (because other than a couple of US tech companies and a drug company or two have these deals) than the transfer pricing and local content ones coming in the US.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    glw said:

tlg86 said:

He's no Steve Jobs.
    Apple's stuff seems expensive for what you actually get.
  • Options
    glw said:

TOPPING said:

Personally I don't care about Ireland other than how it affects the UK, if they want to let multi-nationals pay bugger all tax that's up to them.

Our problem is that Apple does business in such a way as to make very little money in the UK, by paying Apple Ireland a lot, even though we are Apple's fourth largest market and Apple is an incredibly profitable company. I'd like to see that stopped in or out of the EU, as I assume would most people.
    I like the idea of just shedding more light in this area and leaving it up to the customers to vote with their wallets. Apple and others are trashing their brand image in the long term.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

I think that's pretty much my view too: sweetheart tax deals are state subsidy that disadvantage all other players in the bloc.
  • Options
    glw said:

TOPPING said:

Your two points conflict with each other. If you want to see Apple pay more tax then surely you should be unhappy that Ireland is letting Apple have a free pass on its tax bill?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

It's an interesting case. Apple says that the marketing and technology that contribute to their Irish profits are not based in Ireland, only the manufacturing.

The Irish government chose to accept that argument (no one has ever said Apple were evading tax), and yes, the EU has identified that as a sweetheart deal.

But it is still the EU meddling in the affairs of one of its member states which I had imagined would drive you mad with frustration. As you guys have always said, it's not the numbers that matter, it's the principle.

I can see what you're saying, but you're missing the point. I'm not saying that the EU should meddle in tax affairs or be involved in setting tax rates for countries. They should, and are in this case, ensure that all countries stick to the rules on state aid. It is patently obvious that the sweetheart deals that Ireland have struck with Apple and others run counter to single market rules so they should be struck down. If Ireland decided that it was now in its interest to formalise the 1% corporation tax rate and backdate it for all companies, then that's up to them, the commission should not interfere, and neither should Ireland be helped when they inevitably go bankrupt.

Ireland have chosen to be part of the single market and should stick to the rules of the single market if they want to continue being part of it. Our choosing to leave is partly because we didn't like sticking to their rules, Ireland are free to choose that path, though their tax haven status might not be as assured outside of the single market so they'd need to weigh up the pros and cons.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Surely if the EU is to be taken seriously they need to fine Ireland a significant sum of money?

The EU lady stated that other countries had access to all the data and could look at how much tax they had lost out on. It does not stop with Ireland.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    tlg86 said:

That sort of behaviour would lead to many countries rushing for the exit door

The French have been breaking EU rules forever and face few consequences - if they actually had to comply (and pay the fines), they would be out of there like a shot.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

I can see what you're saying, but you're missing the point. I'm not saying that the EU should meddle in tax affairs or be involved in setting tax rates for countries. They should, and are in this case, ensure that all countries stick to the rules on state aid. It is patently obvious that the sweetheart deals that Ireland have struck with Apple and others run counter to single market rules so they should be struck down. If Ireland decided that it was now in its interest to formalise the 1% corporation tax rate and backdate it for all companies, then that's up to them, the commission should not interfere, and neither should Ireland be helped when they inevitably go bankrupt.

Ireland have chosen to be part of the single market and should stick to the rules of the single market if they want to continue being part of it. Our choosing to leave is partly because we didn't like sticking to their rules, Ireland are free to choose that path, though their tax haven status might not be as assured outside of the single market so they'd need to weigh up the pros and cons.
    That is a good summary.

Of course as they did in 1991 I'm sure that Apple's counsel will argue heartily that the exemption should remain.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028
    edited August 2016
    taffys said:

If I'm reading this right, Ireland seems to be fighting for the right to cheat on obligations they signed up to.

I guess Ireland is fighting in the same way Corbyn campaigned for remain (half heartedly and deliberately making statements that annoy possibly wavering voters)...

Well we tried our hardest to fight that tax demand for you (trying to keep the 5,000 jobs) but thanks for paying off all our debt....
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Gaitskell didn't just lose the 1959 election, Labour got absolutely hammered with the Tories picking up their third-biggest majority since the war.
  • Options
    glw said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

I'm just posting this link for shit and giggles: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/04996702

It's amazing that one of the most successful retail operations in the entire world, with extraordinary sales per square foot, basically makes no money.

• Options
    runnymede said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

And labour standards.

And regulatory systems.

etc.
    Not really, this is a state aid issue rather than tax harmonisation. The commission are not forcing Ireland to raise their tax rate from 12.5% to 20% to bring it in line with the EU average, they are in fact recognising Ireland's 12.5% rate and enforcing it. If Ireland reduced their headline rate to 1% for all companies they'd have no issue going forwards, but one imagines the EU might not look kindly on their continued membership of the single market.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

The LibDems? Another sunken party - naah. There is still a battle to fight for Labour's soul.

Putting it simply the membership can crudely be split into pre-2015 members (anti-Corbyn) and post-2015 (pro-Corbyn). The latter seem to be a blend of the young/idealistic, anti-Blairites rejoining the party, or older people with very firm worldviews astonished to find a mainstream politician who talks like them.

Corbyn will win. But large numbers of the people voting for him aren't activists or participants. They just want to pay their membership and protect their man. So although there will be an attempt to purge the pre-2015 party (they're banging on about a purge against them to give them pretext) I expect it to struggle. For example, they expect that seat with Red Tory MP where CLP endorses Corbyn means they get to deselect the MP. They won't get a majority of members to do so - it won't happen in almost all cases.

So I and my sane left and centre-left friends intend to stay and fight. Because we know that a Corbyn infused party where Jezbollah representatives run everything would suffer the worst electoral collapse in history (numerically - Clegg had fewer MPs to bin off).

They insist Labour will win due to non-voters. But we don't need to do traditional voter ID canvassing. We won't therefore have the data to do a get out the vote operation. Which means most non-voters will remain non-voters. They insist Corbyn is only down in the polls because the PLP/MSM/Portland/Establishment/Murdoch conspiracy has distorted His truth.And #wearehismedia will counter that - because everyone in the UK makes political decisions and forms opinions based on bullshit memes on Facebook apparently.

We can avoid all this. Corbyn will win. But the party can jettison him and Jezbollah followers - before my holiday I talked up the idea of a divorce where the party keeps the name and offices and staff and the new members keep Corbyn as one way to split but not split. The story about MPs joining the Co-op Party and taking a Co-op whip demonstrates that all such options are being looked at. As a Co-op Party member I'd be quite happy to see mutualism pushed much higher up the UK political agenda and more MPs would help.

Either way. Get the popcorn in. We are the car that keeps crashing.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

runnymede said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

And labour standards.

And regulatory systems.

etc.
    Not really, this is a state aid issue rather than tax harmonisation. The commission are not forcing Ireland to raise their tax rate from 12.5% to 20% to bring it in line with the EU average, they are in fact recognising Ireland's 12.5% rate and enforcing it. If Ireland reduced their headline rate to 1% for all companies they'd have no issue going forwards, but one imagines the EU might not look kindly on their continued membership of the single market.
    I think Ireland would go bust (again) if they went to 1%...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Your two points conflict with each other. If you want to see Apple pay more tax then surely you should be unhappy that Ireland is letting Apple have a free pass on its tax bill?

I want Apple to pay more tax in the UK, I don't care what they pay in Ireland.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

I don't think Luxembourg's corporate tax rate is particularly low. Isn't in 29 or 30%?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

That is a good summary.

Of course as they did in 1991 I'm sure that Apple's counsel will argue heartily that the exemption should remain.
    I'm not sure that will hold much water, Ireland were in the EEC at the time.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

I don't think that's the case here. The EU - like NAFTA, and pretty much every FTA - includes rules to limit state subsidies. In other words, we can't enter into an FTA with (picking a random country) Norway, which then uses government funds to subsidise the Norwegian car industry and put the British car industry out of business.

Now, there is a justifiable question about whether 'sweetheart tax deals' are state subsidy, but if they are, then giving preferential tax treatment, i.e. 1% tax rates rather than the Republic's standard 12.5%, was always going to end in trouble.

To my mind, this is a much less interesting case (because other than a couple of US tech companies and a drug company or two have these deals) than the transfer pricing and local content ones coming in the US.
    You may well be right. I'm not a tax expert. I was speculating as to why Ireland was appealing the decision. I think - though I have no inside knowledge on this, obviously - that they are worried that pressure is going to be put on them to raise their tax rates so that they lose, as they see it, one of their competitive advantages. They may feel that if they lose the right to do deals such as this, corporate tax rates will be the next target of the EU. There may not be a logical connection between the two.

But are they wrong to feel like that?

• Options
    glw said:

TOPPING said:

Then you'll be keen to see the result of some of the upcoming transfer pricing cases (albeit none are - to be knowledge - coming in the UK).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

runnymede said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

And labour standards.

And regulatory systems.

etc.
    Especially as they would have to back date it for every corporation for 25 years in order to let Apple off the hook!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

You may well be right. I'm not a tax expert. I was speculating as to why Ireland was appealing the decision. I think - though I have no inside knowledge on this, obviously - that they are worried that pressure is going to be put on them to raise their tax rates so that they lose, as they see it, one of their competitive advantages. They may feel that if they lose the right to do deals such as this, corporate tax rates will be the next target of the EU. There may not be a logical connection between the two.

Ireland was under incredible pressure at the height of the Eurozone crisis to raise corporate tax rates. The country was bust and the French were keen to extract concessions in return for Ireland being bailed out.

The Irish refused to blink.

If they couldn't be 'persuaded' then, I don't think they will be now. The treaties are explicit that countries set their own rates; it's not an issue for majority voting. It could be changed, but only with the consent of the Irish government.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

The LibDems? Another sunken party - naah. There is still a battle to fight for Labour's soul.

Putting it simply the membership can crudely be split into pre-2015 members (anti-Corbyn) and post-2015 (pro-Corbyn). The latter seem to be a blend of the young/idealistic, anti-Blairites rejoining the party, or older people with very firm worldviews astonished to find a mainstream politician who talks like them.

Corbyn will win. But large numbers of the people voting for him aren't activists or participants. They just want to pay their membership and protect their man. So although there will be an attempt to purge the pre-2015 party (they're banging on about a purge against them to give them pretext) I expect it to struggle. For example, they expect that seat with Red Tory MP where CLP endorses Corbyn means they get to deselect the MP. They won't get a majority of members to do so - it won't happen in almost all cases.

So I and my sane left and centre-left friends intend to stay and fight. Because we know that a Corbyn infused party where Jezbollah representatives run everything would suffer the worst electoral collapse in history (numerically - Clegg had fewer MPs to bin off).

They insist Labour will win due to non-voters. But we don't need to do traditional voter ID canvassing. We won't therefore have the data to do a get out the vote operation. Which means most non-voters will remain non-voters. They insist Corbyn is only down in the polls because the PLP/MSM/Portland/Establishment/Murdoch conspiracy has distorted His truth.And #wearehismedia will counter that - because everyone in the UK makes political decisions and forms opinions based on bullshit memes on Facebook apparently.

We can avoid all this. Corbyn will win. But the party can jettison him and Jezbollah followers - before my holiday I talked up the idea of a divorce where the party keeps the name and offices and staff and the new members keep Corbyn as one way to split but not split. The story about MPs joining the Co-op Party and taking a Co-op whip demonstrates that all such options are being looked at. As a Co-op Party member I'd be quite happy to see mutualism pushed much higher up the UK political agenda and more MPs would help.

Either way. Get the popcorn in. We are the car that keeps crashing.

How many Lab voters do you think support Corbyn? Must be some, I would have thought. Which will determine whether a splittist party would succeed. Membership is not quite a rounding error but what, 5%-ish of the total?
  • Options
    The anti-Trump Republicans are running ads in swing states under the headline "Keep Your Word", calling on Trump to quit because he's low in the polls. The WSJ has set him a deadline of Labo[u]r Day, next Monday. If he's still in the race by then, presumably they will remember what they said.

It seems improbable he'll quit before the TV debates start on 26 September. Given the likelihood that Roger Stone and Steve Bannon will pull an October Surprise or two out of their hat, it seems unlikely that he'll quit at all.

But what if he does? As we all know, our learned friends would get some juicy work in several states, and in some states perhaps his name would have to stay on the ballot paper and Republicans would tell people that a formal vote for Trump will actually be for whoever their chosen replacement is. If he does quit, then the later the date the greater such complications.

Where does this leave the betting market? Betfair's position has a big gap in it. They say

"This market will be settled according to the candidate that has the most projected Electoral College votes won at the 2016 presidential election. Any subsequent events such as a ‘faithless elector’ will have no effect on the settlement of this market. In the event that no Presidential candidate receives a majority of the projected Electoral College votes, this market will be settled on the person chosen as President in accordance with the procedures set out by the Twelfth Amendment to the United States Constitution."

It's possible that there will be a majority for Trump in the EC but the next president will still be chosen by the House. If Trump quits late and his name stays on in several states, the Republicans say a vote for him is a vote for Pence, and Trump then gets the most "projected" votes, will Betfair pay out on him? Will the answer be the same, regardless of whether Pence wins as a result of the EC vote as assisted by the SC, or as a result of a Congressional decision as per the 12th amendment?

If Trump does quit before 8 November, the later he does it the better for Paul Ryan; the earlier, the better for Mike Pence or John Kasich.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

runnymede said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

And labour standards.

And regulatory systems.

etc.
    Especially as they would have to back date it for every corporation for 25 years in order to let Apple off the hook!
    That is an excellent point.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

I think it's more to do with the recognition of the constituent of Apple's profit than tax rate. Apple says only the manufacturing occurs in Ireland and hence that is what should be taxed.

Good article uk.businessinsider.com/how-apple-managed-to-get-its-tax-deal-in-ireland-in-1991-2016-8
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

glw said:

TOPPING said:

Then you'll be keen to see the result of some of the upcoming transfer pricing cases (albeit none are - to be knowledge - coming in the UK).
    I do believe that our diverted profits tax is the answer to that question. Not sure how well it has worked in practice.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

Ireland was under incredible pressure at the height of the Eurozone crisis to raise corporate tax rates. The country was bust and the French were keen to extract concessions in return for Ireland being bailed out.

The Irish refused to blink.

If they couldn't be 'persuaded' then, I don't think they will be now. The treaties are explicit that countries set their own rates; it's not an issue for majority voting. It could be changed, but only with the consent of the Irish government.
    Yeah but back then they had the support of a much bigger member, bow that we are leaving the dynamics will be different.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

I think it's more to do with the recognition of the constituent of Apple's profit than tax rate. Apple says only the manufacturing occurs in Ireland and hence that is what should be taxed.

Good article uk.businessinsider.com/how-apple-managed-to-get-its-tax-deal-in-ireland-in-1991-2016-8
    And miraculously Apple Ireland charge royalties for branding and marketing to their European subsidiaries.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Cyclefree said:

I was speculating as to why Ireland was appealing the decision.

Because fewer and smaller backhanders in the future from large US companies if the decision stands?

Is Google too big to get challenged, or what?
  • Options
    nunu said:

Yeah but back then they had the support of a much bigger member, bow that we are leaving the dynamics will be different.

Perhaps: but it was't us that was bailing Ireland out.
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    Patrick said:

All mammals (pretty much) have foreskins. Humans are, however, unusual in large mammals in not having a penis bone. There has been some speculation as to the evolutionary advantages to this.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

And miraculously Apple Ireland charge royalties for branding and marketing to their European subsidiaries.
    [Innocent Face]

Is that why Apple Retail Ltd, with its ONE BILLION POUND annual turnover somehow fails to actually make meaningful amounts of money?

[/Innocent Face]
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    rcs1000 said:

I'm just posting this link for shit and giggles: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/04996702

It's amazing that one of the most successful retail operations in the entire world, with extraordinary sales per square foot, basically makes no money.

Ah, but it's not a retail operation, it seems:

Nature of business (SIC)

82990 - Other business support service activities not elsewhere classified

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Nature of business (SIC)

Really? ONE BILLION POUNDS of business support services, huh?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028
    edited August 2016

rcs1000 said:

Nature of business (SIC)

I don't think I've bought anything from an apple store. It's always been my go to place for support issues....

Also its gross margins aren't much different from Carphone Dixons. The only thing different is far higher staff and other costs...
  • Options
    ''Yeah but back then they had the support of a much bigger member, bow that we are leaving the dynamics will be different.''

And of course the Irish heartily voted with France against that bigger member at every opportunity. Idiots.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207
    rcs1000 said:

nunu said:

Perhaps: but it was't us that was bailing Ireland out.
    I thought we did give them some money, admittedly not a lot compared to what they got from the ECB.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    Dromedary said:

The anti-Trump Republicans are running ads in swing states under the headline "Keep Your Word", calling on Trump to quit because he's low in the polls. The WSJ has set him a deadline of Labo[u]r Day, next Monday. If he's still in the race by then, presumably they will remember what they said.

It seems improbable he'll quit before the TV debates start on 26 September. Given the likelihood that Roger Stone and Steve Bannon will pull an October Surprise or two out of their hat, it seems unlikely that he'll quit at all.

But what if he does? As we all know, our learned friends would get some juicy work in several states, and in some states perhaps his name would have to stay on the ballot paper and Republicans would tell people that a formal vote for Trump will actually be for whoever their chosen replacement is. If he does quit, then the later the date the greater such complications.

Where does this leave the betting market? Betfair's position has a big gap in it. They say

"This market will be settled according to the candidate that has the most projected Electoral College votes won at the 2016 presidential election. Any subsequent events such as a ‘faithless elector’ will have no effect on the settlement of this market. In the event that no Presidential candidate receives a majority of the projected Electoral College votes, this market will be settled on the person chosen as President in accordance with the procedures set out by the Twelfth Amendment to the United States Constitution."

It's possible that there will be a majority for Trump in the EC but the next president will still be chosen by the House. If Trump quits late and his name stays on in several states, the Republicans say a vote for him is a vote for Pence, and Trump then gets the most "projected" votes, will Betfair pay out on him? Will the answer be the same, regardless of whether Pence wins as a result of the EC vote as assisted by the SC, or as a result of a Congressional decision as per the 12th amendment?

If Trump does quit before 8 November, the later he does it the better for Paul Ryan; the earlier, the better for Mike Pence or John Kasich.

i assume if trump quits, pence will takeover the ticket. saying 'vote trump, congress will chose someone else' wont be able to beat clinton
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

[Innocent Face]

Is that why Apple Retail Ltd, with its ONE BILLION POUND annual turnover somehow fails to actually make meaningful amounts of money?

[/Innocent Face]

I've always been in favour of a simple solution, charge the diverted profits tax on the global net profit margin applied to the national revenue of the subsidiary. That way no one gets to argue against such a simple principle.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

[Innocent Face]

[/Innocent Face]

It's just as well they have a couple of hundred billion in cash to tide them over until they can turn those stores around.

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

rcs1000 said:

Nature of business (SIC)

Ah that SIC code covers a multiude of sins.....
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Nature of business (SIC)

:lol:
  • Options
    edited August 2016

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

T

Gaitskell didn't just lose the 1959 election, Labour got absolutely hammered with the Tories picking up their third-biggest majority since the war.
    Yes - the Tories won the 1959 election with a majority of 101 overall - 107 over Labour.A bit flattering for Macmillan's Tories in that at the time the 12 Ulster Unionists took the Tory whip which would have implied a Tory majority of 77 on the basis of present day party groupings. Worth pointing out that despite Macmillan's landslide, in GB terms the Tories led Labour by less than 5%.
    Labour led in the polls for nearly 18 months before Gaitskell's sudden death, and many commentators believe he would have won more comfortably in 1964 than Wilson had he survived.
  • Options
    glw said:

rcs1000 said:

[Innocent Face]

[/Innocent Face]

It's just as well they have a couple of hundred billion in cash to tide them over until they can turn those stores around.

bloke on the R5 today quoted it as $1.2trn.

I have seen $216bn as the rough number.

Why would they (financial journalist) have said that?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

So he going to spend 25bn of our money on the interweb upgrade. Is he just going to hand that over to BT & tell them to get on with it?

Edit - sorry he is also threatening to renationise BT .

Part of my contract with SG was dealing with rural broadband. I worked with the WA on their rollout in Pembrokshire and Powys. My rural broadband policy is a bit embittered by that experience. It goes something like this. If you've decided to plonk yourself down in the arse end of nowhere, and you're not a farmer, no broadband for you. In Scotland, I decided it was just cheaper and easier to bribe some islanders to relocate :).
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited August 2016
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Nature of business (SIC)

Not only that, but one billion pounds of business support services which aren't covered by any other SIC code. Completely bizarre.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    619 said:

Dromedary said:

i assume if trump quits, pence will takeover the ticket. saying 'vote trump, congress will chose someone else' wont be able to beat clinton
    The problem is that there are 51 tickets, and it won't be equally easy for the Republican Party's lawyers to achieve a formal Pence takeover of every one of them.
  • Options
    Ireland Brussels Rep
    Ireland's Minister for Finance Michael Noonan disagrees profoundly with Commission on Apple. See statement here: https://t.co/B3Oxmpcqdk
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

[Innocent Face]

[/Innocent Face]

bloke on the R5 today quoted it as $1.2trn.

I have seen $216bn as the rough number.

Why would they (financial journalist) have said that?
    Net cash position of $148bn.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Part of my contract with SG was dealing with rural broadband. I worked with the WA on their rollout in Pembrokshire and Powys. My rural broadband policy is a bit embittered by that experience. It goes something like this. If you've decided to plonk yourself down in the arse end of nowhere, and you're not a farmer, no broadband for you. In Scotland, I decided it was just cheaper and easier to bribe some islanders to relocate :).

Why stop at broadband, applying Corbyn-think to all public and commercial services a couple of dozen people on an island off the west coast of Scotland should have exactly the same access to motorways, airports, hospitals, schools, and so on, as a resident of one of our major cities.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Nature of business (SIC)

Not only that, but one billion pounds of business support services which aren't covered by any other SIC code. Completely bizarre.
    Surely the service is "looking after £1 billion"?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited August 2016
  • Options
    The TPA and City AM suggest we move away from corporation tax altogether. Wonder if any major government has the nuts for that.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Can someone explain how precisely Ireland benefits from the Apple arrangement?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Hollande demanding Brexit be done by 2019.

http://www.lemonde.fr/referendum-sur-le-brexit/video/2016/08/30/hollande-le-brexit-doit-etre-conclu-d-ici-2019_4989944_4872498.html

I love the way this is all getting set up so that May gets to stick it to Johnny Foreigner by faffing around for a while and not leaving the EU.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    edited August 2016

Can someone explain how precisely Ireland benefits from the Apple arrangement?

5,000 jobs in Cork that would probably be in Surrey.
  • Options
    Ed West
    The 10 factors driving US polarisation. From Jonathan Haidt's speech https://t.co/u263U5BoUp https://t.co/f66eTotinM
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    John_M said:

So he going to spend 25bn of our money on the interweb upgrade. Is he just going to hand that over to BT & tell them to get on with it?

I sometimes live in a remote part of the Eden valley, surrounded by sheep. At the beginning of the year contractors started laying about 2 miles of cable from the main road to bring internet to a few properties. The few properties were already well served by a cheaper private service provider, and so there were no takers for the new supply. End result the cable lies unterminated in a coil at the side of the road,it took nearly 4 weeks to lay the cable.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    new thread
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    @TheScreamingEagles Have only just joined the thread but as it seems likely a new one will be up very shortly, just wanted to say thanks for another really intriguing thread header.

Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    John_M said:

John_M Hereabouts, we get a related issue. Townies buy up land and build their McMansions in the middle of nowhere, then demand that a shopping mall be built to service their needs. Locals ask WTF did you move here? We like the isolation and want to keep it that way.

That said, I type this from a farm within the agricultural preserve that has Fios and up to 500Mbs/500Mbs should I be prepared to pay for it. ;)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited August 2016
    rcs1000 said:

[Innocent Face]

[/Innocent Face]

Very high cost of goods. They must be doing manufacturing somewhere really high cost...
This discussion has been closed.