Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Purge: Election Year

124»

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    When did the Times change their header? I've been away too long!
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

We'd all pretty much forgotten about this by now, so they decide to get the Sundays talking about it again!!
    Never underestimate the ability of Corbyn's Labour to keep digging.
    I was discussing this with OGH last week. Are Labour destroying themselves or is this really some brilliant new strategy?
    Branson's one of the most respected men in the country
    He is?

I'll take your word for it. I've never had much call to think about it, but I sort of presumed he was seen as a success but also a bit of a tit, with all the publicity seeking stuff. Honestly, he seems like he'd be more fun than most of the super rich though.

It's amusing to read tweets from people like Murdoch occasionally, which come across as genuine and not some intern, but it sort of ruins the mystique of the billionaire when you get a window into how they're just like the rest of us.
    Yougov poll from last year had him as 4th most respected man in the country.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2935129/Angelina-Jolie-admired-woman-world-beat-Malala-Yousafzai-Hillary-Clinton-QUEEN-global-poll.html (At the bottom of this article, ignore the url)
    He's dropped to fifth this year.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/05/07/wma-2016/

Still, that puts him above more than 30 million.

Jeremy Corbyn is twelfth and the top British politician, which probably says more about his support than the population at large.
    That's the link! I spent ages looking for that on YG's website, rather than post a Mail link from last year. Ho hum.

The point is that Branson's a generally well thought of guy, which transcends some of his companies, and he has a *really* good PR and marketing operation.

Corbyn will be front page news for weeks if he goes for Branson, and not in a nice way even for some of his more religious followers. Reading that Mirror story makes me think that there might be some value in Smith at 5/1.
    At 5/1, I think there is some value. We simply don't have enough hard data and Corbyn has had a very poor last fortnight. Many of his supporters will be delighted that he's taken the fight to Branson but Corbyn can't win with his supporters alone; he needs persuadables too.
    Wasn't ther a TV series about this?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Sandpit said:

Tomorrow's not going to be a slow news day, that's for sure.
    Three big stories there, one on Corbyn's aide, one on the Cabinet and the third on the BoE chief economist finally working out what happens when interest rates are effectively zero for the best part of a decade!
    I really need tomorrow and Monday to be quiet days.
    Good luck with that!

Are we allowed to suggest to the Spurs fans that they really shouldn't be dropping points at home so early in the season?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

On Twitter, I keep pointing out that Labour need Tory voters, and the Corbynistas recoil as if I've proposed that they sleep with a syphilitic leper. Toryism is a taint to them. Incomprehensible.

But technically they are correct, albeit in a self-fulfilling, circular fashion.

Right now Labour shouldn't be wasting time trying to win back Tories in Nuneaton and Plymouth - that's pretty much a lost cause under Corbyn.

The Labour strategy should now be holding on to enough of their voters in Darlington, Sedgefield, Walsall and everywhere else where a modest swing to the Tories and the loss of votes to UKIP poses a threat.
    Normally I'd agree with you. But as the unofficial Corbyn spokesperson for this evening, it's considerably weirder than that. Not only are they not interested in elections, they also think they're going to win in 2020, which is genuinely magical thinking. The votes will come, just not from Tories. In fact, ex-Tory votes would somehow pollute the victory.

If ultimately pressed, they'll fall back on the 'Power without principles is worthless' meme. As I say, odd.
    Didn't Corbyn say he would try to get the support of people who were 'considering' voting Tory? So he's bending. A little.
    How is he going to do that, when the two most important things on his agenda are Palestine and refugees (let them all in!), followed by unilateral disarmament and handing the Falklands back to Argentina?
    Hey, baby steps. First, accept people considering voting Tory might be worthy of giving you their votes, then perhaps move on to accepting people who have, at some point, already voted Tory might be worthy of the same, and then he can think about how to get them to do so. He's on a personal journey here, we should not rush him.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

Mail on Sunday Front Page is something about victory for campaign on Foreign Aid. Can't read the details, but I presume PM May is going to restrict it.

On his way out of the door, that was the one thing Cammo asked May particularly not to do.
    I'm not sure Cammo had any capital left at that point.

If he had, Osbo would not have been fired either.
    Given that and that May's people made sure to let people know she did it brutally (she was praised for it by many, hence why I assume her people did it to make her look good) and some of the others let go or not promoted, it feels like May hated every minute of serving under Cameron.
    She could have done something else, arguably, if it were so offensive. I suppose she'll have to take a decision on her her own account at some stage I suppose.
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

On Twitter, I keep pointing out that Labour need Tory voters, and the Corbynistas recoil as if I've proposed that they sleep with a syphilitic leper. Toryism is a taint to them. Incomprehensible.

But technically they are correct, albeit in a self-fulfilling, circular fashion.

Right now Labour shouldn't be wasting time trying to win back Tories in Nuneaton and Plymouth - that's pretty much a lost cause under Corbyn.

The Labour strategy should now be holding on to enough of their voters in Darlington, Sedgefield, Walsall and everywhere else where a modest swing to the Tories and the loss of votes to UKIP poses a threat.
    Normally I'd agree with you. But as the unofficial Corbyn spokesperson for this evening, it's considerably weirder than that. Not only are they not interested in elections, they also think they're going to win in 2020, which is genuinely magical thinking. The votes will come, just not from Tories. In fact, ex-Tory votes would somehow pollute the victory.

If ultimately pressed, they'll fall back on the 'Power without principles is worthless' meme. As I say, odd.
    I think odd scarcely does it credit
  • Options
    kle4 said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

Didn't Corbyn say he would try to get the support of people who were 'considering' voting Tory? So he's bending. A little.
    That's him offering his axxx
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,592
    edited August 2016
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Three big stories there, one on Corbyn's aide, one on the Cabinet and the third on the BoE chief economist finally working out what happens when interest rates are effectively zero for the best part of a decade!
    Good luck with that!

Are we allowed to suggest to the Spurs fans that they really shouldn't be dropping points at home so early in the season?
    Only when Scrapheap is around, if he is, also mention the fantasy football to him.

I'm ahead of him for the third week in a row.

I also need Tuesday and Thursday to be quiet days as well, as I'm at the cricket.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    "unfairly removed from the ability to vote"? What sort of English is that?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

How is he going to do that, when the two most important things on his agenda are Palestine and refugees (let them all in!), followed by unilateral disarmament and handing the Falklands back to Argentina?
    sounds like a winning formula to me!
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited August 2016
    Sandpit said:

That Andy Haldane story looks like an outright hatchet job from the ST.

What's their beef? Is this Baroness Altman settling scores?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

Hey, baby steps. First, accept people considering voting Tory might be worthy of giving you their votes, then perhaps move on to accepting people who have, at some point, already voted Tory might be worthy of the same, and then he can think about how to get them to do so. He's on a personal journey here, we should not rush him.
    Is he off to the Falklands or Argentina?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

Split the difference - Las Malvinas.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

I'm not sure that constitutes splitting the difference
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Good luck with that!

Only when Scrapheap is around, if he is, also mention the fantasy football to him.

I also need Tuesday and Thursday to be quiet days as well, as I'm at the cricket.
    Ha ha, not seen him for a couple of days, maybe he's in hiding!
    Enjoy the cricket, oh and isn't the new Anfield looking rather nice - there might be a better chance of getting tickets now there's 10k extra seats there.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Good luck with that!

Ha ha, not seen him for a couple of days, maybe he's in hiding!
    Enjoy the cricket, oh and isn't the new Anfield looking rather nice - there might be a better chance of getting tickets now there's 10k extra seats there.
    Last season we were chuffed to buggery we got a point at White Hart Lane, this season we're disappointed we only got a point.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

I'm not sure that constitutes splitting the difference
    I never let semantics get in the way of a joke.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    When was the last time a governing party in Britain gained seats at three consecutive GE's ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

As long as the journey has seats I guess.......
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    nunu said:

When was the last time a governing party in Britain gained seats at three consecutive GE's ?

2020. Oh, I'm getting ahead of myself.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

A journey? Surely he's had enough problems with journeys in recent weeks to last a lifetime?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

A journey? Surely he's had enough problems with journeys in recent weeks to last a lifetime?
    That's was the Trials section of him being on the Hero's Journey.

Night all
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited August 2016
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

A Journey you say...as in A Journey by T. Blair ?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    nunu said:

1959?
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

kle4 said:

Reading the front page of The Sunday Times, Phil Hammond = Legend

I see those, rather naively, thinking the days of Chancellor's being second among equals and 'interfering' with others was over will be disappointed.

Seems like a story about nothing really, other than to confirm the Tory cabinet have not yet arrived a clear position. I mean, it says he's 'resisting' plans by Fox etc to pull out of the single market, well that isn't government policy yet, presumably they are resisting all sorts of things on lots of things until May can create a consensus.
    A few weeks ago we had a meeting with someone well versed in these matters.

His prediction was that the Treasury will produce various projections showing tax revenues dropping like a stone if we left the single market without trade deals in place/access to the market or if we moved to WTO rules.

The Treasury will never want to see revenues drop.
    So the same bullsh*t as before?
  • Options
    runnymede said:

kle4 said:

I see those, rather naively, thinking the days of Chancellor's being second among equals and 'interfering' with others was over will be disappointed.

Seems like a story about nothing really, other than to confirm the Tory cabinet have not yet arrived a clear position. I mean, it says he's 'resisting' plans by Fox etc to pull out of the single market, well that isn't government policy yet, presumably they are resisting all sorts of things on lots of things until May can create a consensus.

His prediction was that the Treasury will produce various projections showing tax revenues dropping like a stone if we left the single market without trade deals in place/access to the market or if we moved to WTO rules.

It's the IFS report redux. There is an economic opportunity cost to Brexit. The size varies with our final destination.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

kle4 said:

So you genuinely think moving to WTO rules will be good for tax revenues?

Oh wait the same old bullshit was about your own post. Got it.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

runnymede said:

kle4 said:

You don't even know what 'WTO rules' means. It's just a slogan, useful for airheads.
  • Options

runnymede said:

kle4 said:

There's a certain amount of justifiable paranoia about the 'Oh, it's too expensive, too complicated, let's call the whole thing off' schtick that's floating around.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

runnymede said:

kle4 said:

You don't even know what 'WTO rules' means. It's just a slogan, useful for airheads.
    Actually I do. I've spent the last few months prepping myself on a post Brexit environment (I've mentioned it a few times on here)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    OT: I know Greece is so last year, but it's still on the rack. Perhaps I can tempt people to take a look as Tsipras does mention Brexit in passing.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-greece-economy-pm-idUSKCN1120NY?il=0
  • Options
    John_M said:

runnymede said:

kle4 said:

There's a certain amount of justifiable paranoia about the 'Oh, it's too expensive, too complicated, let's call the whole thing off' schtick that's floating around.
    We're leaving the EU, I suspect it will come down to a phased withdrawal as we line everything up for a Brexit world or a quick Brexit and we'll sort stuff out as it arises.
  • Options
    John_M said:

OT: I know Greece is so last year, but it's still on the rack. Perhaps I can tempt people to take a look as Tsipras does mention Brexit in passing.

Yay. I was missing doing my Hellenic pun based threads.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    John_M said:

OT: I know Greece is so last year, but it's still on the rack.

It's harsh, but they should have been left to crash again. The inequality talked about is Greece was never going to pay back what people pretended were loans, and so instead everyone was unhappy, others at giving Greece money, Greece at being forced to do things it didn't want to get it. And apparently none of it helps much since new arrangements or new money is constantly needed.
  • Options

John_M said:

runnymede said:

kle4 said:

We're leaving the EU, I suspect it will come down to a phased withdrawal as we line everything up for a Brexit world or a quick Brexit and we'll sort stuff out as it arises.
    If may can sell a phased withdrawal as definitely no fooling still Brexit she'll be fine, but the paranoid fear that anything less than hard Brexit is not true Brexit could arise on any such proposal, fearing slower Brexit is fake Brexit, so it's not certain.
  • Options
    Telegraph reporting 50k new Tory members since Theresa May became PM
  • Options

Does that include £1 "friends" like moi?
  • Options

The May-gasm continues :)
  • Options
    nunu said:

Does that include £1 "friends" like moi?
    Dunno
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Revealed: How YOU gave £1million to Sweet Shop jihadist gang while they held 'sharia surgeries' and waged their campaign of hate

Supporters of Choudary paid by businessman to run training courses
    Businessman also ran a sweet shop in the East End of London
    Received grants from Government agency after links to Choudary known
    Man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, branded a terrorist funder

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3761793/How-gave-1million-Sweet-Shop-jihadist-gang-held-sharia-surgeries-waged-campaign-hate.html

A bit of googling has found the individual who can't be named for legal reasons...and I think the phrase "you can't be f##king kidding me" comes to mind.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Will it extend to unnatural acts with ladies' shoes?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Revealed: How YOU gave £1million to Sweet Shop jihadist gang while they held 'sharia surgeries' and waged their campaign of hate

Supporters of Choudary paid by businessman to run training courses
    Businessman also ran a sweet shop in the East End of London
    Received grants from Government agency after links to Choudary known
    Man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, branded a terrorist funder

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3761793/How-gave-1million-Sweet-Shop-jihadist-gang-held-sharia-surgeries-waged-campaign-hate.html

A bit of googling has found the individual who can't be named for legal reasons...and I think the phrase "you can't be f##king kidding me" comes to mind.

"you can't be f##king kidding me" -> you got to be f##king kidding me

Vince Cable was made aware of this in 2011 and still it continued for 3 years.

I am sure not why legal reasons can't reveal the name, the information in the article is more than enough to find out the name as they give the company names, besides this story has been reported by another national newspaper with all names posted.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    nunu said:

• Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    kle4 said:

John_M said:

It's harsh, but they should have been left to crash again. The inequality talked about is Greece was never going to pay back what people pretended were loans, and so instead everyone was unhappy, others at giving Greece money, Greece at being forced to do things it didn't want to get it. And apparently none of it helps much since nwew arrangements or new money is constantly needed.
    When you speak glibly of being allowed to crash again. Please remember you are talking of some 16 million souls. Who did not ask for merkels Reich. Or the callous politics of Schauble.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,988
    NoEasyDay said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

It's harsh, but they should have been left to crash again. The inequality talked about is Greece was never going to pay back what people pretended were loans, and so instead everyone was unhappy, others at giving Greece money, Greece at being forced to do things it didn't want to get it. And apparently none of it helps much since nwew arrangements or new money is constantly needed.
    When you speak glibly of being allowed to crash again. Please remember you are talking of some 16 million souls. Who did not ask for merkels Reich. Or the callous politics of Schauble.
    If I remember correctly, the "callous politics of Schauble" included recommending the Greeks be given incentives to leave the Euro. Since it is an article of faith among Sceptics that Greece is infantily responsible for nothing ever and Greece leaving the Euro will cure everything, I'd've thought you would have approved.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Will it extend to unnatural acts with ladies' shoes?
    One can only hope
  • Options
    I'm watching Branagh's Frankenstein. It was good before DeNiro turned up, but now it's bad. Kenneth Branagh (who's from NornIron) and James McAvoy (fae Scotland) have the same English accent. Helena Bonham Carter is playing a normal human being in the days before she went full TimBurton. The sets are beautiful but not being chewed enough. Oh, the crowd have just lynched somebody. Most weird.
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    viewcode said:

NoEasyDay said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

If I remember correctly, the "callous politics of Schauble" included recommending the Greeks be given incentives to leave the Euro. Since it is an article of faith among Sceptics that Greece is infantily responsible for nothing ever and Greece leaving the Euro will cure everything, I'd've thought you would have approved.
    viewcode said:

NoEasyDay said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

Hmmm...Greece leaving the euro will not solve everything and i dont think that is an article of faith. However an alchoholic walking past a pub is a first step. Schauble and Merkel are using Greece as an example as to what happens if you dont do what we tell you...

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    runnymede said:

Going to a WTO relationship with the EU would - considering we don't have any other preferential tariff rates with any other countries in the world at all - be very challenging to British businesses. It would be particularly difficult for those firms operating with multinational supply chains (i.e. businesses that bought components from overseas, and then had a largely overseas customer base), because their products would effectively suffer from double tariffs.

Now, in the fullness of time, Britain would adapt, new relationships would be forged, etc.

But do we really want to give the British economy electric shock treatment? It is much more sensible to think of Brexit as a process that may take many, many years to fully achieve.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

nunu said:

But they weren't governing for three successive elections. So far, the Conservative Party has equaled Mrs Thatcher's record of one: 1983 vs 1979.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Anyone know the right word for May's disciples?
  • Options
    NoEasyDay said:

Hmmm...Greece leaving the euro will not solve everything and i dont think that is an article of faith. However an alchoholic walking past a pub is a first step. Schauble and Merkel are using Greece as an example as to what happens if you dont do what we tell you...

But Schauble advocated that the Greeks be given incentives to leave the Euro. It's difficult to reconcile that with "Schauble [is] using Greece as an example as to what happens if you dont do what we tell you".
  • Options
  • Options
    RobD said:

The Boycott Brigade?
  • Options

RobD said:

The Boycott Brigade?
    Na, it's got to have the word May in it :p
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    RobD said:

The Maybach Mafia?
  • Options

RobD said:

The Maybach Mafia?
    Kinda fits with the Telegraph description of her as the 'Brexit enforcer' :D
  • Options
    RobD said:

The Darling Buds
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/26/200-counter-terrorism-officers-to-hunt-isil-in-greek-islands/

Additionally, I'd suggest they need to look in a few other places, like Cyprus, as routes in. Why go through all the effort of being a refugee if you have good fake documents?
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    RobD said:

Mayniacs?
    On the Mayke?
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194

I am sure not why legal reasons can't reveal the name, the information in the article is more than enough to find out the name as they give the company names, besides this story has been reported by another national newspaper with all names posted.

A lawyer at the Daily Mail had a rush of blood to the head maybe? Or the Daily Mail are amplifying the "Britain funds jihadists" story by suggesting that the courts won't even allow the man to be named. It's a bit off for the DM to say the man was "branded a terrorist funder by Ministers", when he hasn't been charged with any offence and has just won his appeal against the freezing of his assets. There are many possibilities involving the influencing of perceptions in various target markets. It sounds suspiciously easy for him to divert state grants from the computer training company to a jihadist network, which is a crime so why hasn't he been charged with it? There are obviously more layers to the story.

• Options
    viewcode said:

NoEasyDay said:

But Schauble advocated that the Greeks be given incentives to leave the Euro. It's difficult to reconcile that with "Schauble [is] using Greece as an example as to what happens if you dont do what we tell you".
    It is if you are of the mindset that leaving the Euro is a disaster you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Dromedary said:

A lawyer at the Daily Mail had a rush of blood to the head maybe? Or the Daily Mail are amplifying the "Britain funds jihadists" story by suggesting that the courts won't even allow the man to be named. It's a bit off for the DM to say the man was "branded a terrorist funder by Ministers", when he hasn't been charged with any offence and has just won his appeal against the freezing of his assets. There are many possibilities involving the influencing of perceptions in various target markets. It sounds suspiciously easy for him to divert state grants from the computer training company to a jihadist network, which is a crime so why hasn't he been charged with it? There are obviously more layers to the story.

When you know who it is, they aren't "amplifying it". The real question is why / how they ever got funding in the first place and continued for 3 years after the activities were first brought to the public arena.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

Dromedary said:

When you know who it is, they aren't "amplifying it". The real question is why / how they ever got funding in the first place and continued for 3 years after the activities were first brought to the public arena.
    Presumably related to this?

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-09-25/police-search-sweet-shop-belonging-to-choudarys-brother/
  • Options

Dromedary said:

Presumably related to this?

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-09-25/police-search-sweet-shop-belonging-to-choudarys-brother/
    You will find articles all the way back to 2011, so I don't know why its now top secret. Also, a quick search of companies house records was what I did, given 3 businesses are mentioned, you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to work the common factor.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited August 2016
    On topic, rightly or wrongly some of Corbyn's supporters are getting disqualified from voting. I think it's obvious that he'd oppose this: It riles up the supporters that remain, and puts pressure on the people doing it to give members the benefit of the doubt. After the election it helps him reform the process to his liking if he wins, or campaign against the process if he loses. There's basically no downside, so the fact that he's doing it doesn't tell us anything about whether he thinks he's winning.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    Morning. Fingers crossed it finally gets the green light. And the fourth runway while they've got the diggers out, let's bring this shameful procrastination to an end and just bloody get on with it.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/26/200-counter-terrorism-officers-to-hunt-isil-in-greek-islands/

Additionally, I'd suggest they need to look in a few other places, like Cyprus, as routes in. Why go through all the effort of being a refugee if you have good fake documents?

This is spot on. People don't realise how easy it is to get immaculate fake documentation on the Dark Web. Want an near perfect fake Australian passport that will get you into the UK? It'll probably cost you less than $5,000. Much simpler - if you have decent income from oil wells - than telling someone to head in the direction of the Med, and hope they end up in Europe rather than a Turkish refugee camp.
  • Options

viewcode said:

NoEasyDay said:

It is if you are of the mindset that leaving the Euro is a disaster you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.
    Is that Schauble's view?

During the last Greek crisis, both the IMF and the Germans urged Greece to leave the Euro. The idea was that it would be easier for them to 'soft default' outside the Euro, by printing money, than to hard default inside.

It was the choice of Tsipiras not to remain in the Euro, because he had promised the Greek people that he could end austerity and stay in the Euro.
  • Options
    NoEasyDay said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

Their own choices led to this end. I was not glib about it 5 years ago, or 3 years ago, or 2 years ago, but it's the same thing over and over again, I have sympathy fatigue.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,453
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:
    Morning. Fingers crossed it finally gets the green light. And the fourth runway while they've got the diggers out, let's bring this shameful procrastination to an end and just bloody get on with it.
    As I always thought. Boris will be OK, given his general estrangement from the truth and the fact that his constituency probably supports the expansion, given fhe level of employment the airport provides to constituents. He should be more worried about the NHS already planning for financial crisis in 2020 when they are supposed to be getting his promised billions.

Zak is the interesting one - he won't feel much loyalty to his London party given the mayoral campaign they forced upon him, which left him as tarnished goods, I would expect him to follow through on his original plan, so by-election in Richmond (indeed he may not even re-stand?)?
This discussion has been closed.