Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Purge: Election Year

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,594
    edited August 2016
    Labour are declaring war on Richard Branson. I think the phrase is 'Embarrassing, Embarrassing, Embarrassing.'

Labour is calling for Richard Branson to be stripped of his knighthood following his bid to humiliate Jeremy Corbyn over Traingate.

Writing exclusively in the Sunday Mirror, Shadow Chancellor John ­McDonnell slams the Virgin billionaire as a “tax exile who thinks he can try and intervene and ­undermine our democracy”.

He brands fatcats who avoid paying full UK tax as “freeloaders” who are shirking their “public duty” – also singling out shamed rag trade tycoon Sir Philip Green .

And calling for a radical overhaul of the honours system, he adds: “Run off to tax exile if you want. But you leave your titles and your honours behind when you go.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/labour-calls-richard-branson-stripped-8719591
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Labour are declaring war on Richard Branson

Labour is calling for Richard Branson to be stripped of his knighthood following his bid to humiliate Jeremy Corbyn over Traingate.

Writing exclusively in the Sunday Mirror, Shadow Chancellor John ­McDonnell slams the Virgin billionaire as a “tax exile who thinks he can try and intervene and ­undermine our democracy”.

He brands fatcats who avoid paying full UK tax as “freeloaders” who are shirking their “public duty” – also singling out shamed rag trade tycoon Sir Philip Green .

And calling for a radical overhaul of the honours system, he adds: “Run off to tax exile if you want. But you leave your titles and your honours behind when you go.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/labour-calls-richard-branson-stripped-8719591

A good example of left-wing tolerance.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited August 2016

Labour are declaring war on Richard Branson. I think the phrase is 'Embarrassing, Embarrassing, Embarrassing.'

Gentler kinder politics....Don't dare think about telling the truth, even when smeared by the leadership. Chairman Mao would have been proud.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

<

Umunna and Jarvis obviously, Smith, even McDonnell, virtually anyone really

Umunna and Jarvis are unacceptable.
    McDonnell perhaps, he has been tested as shadow chancellor and he is not a backstabber.

You see the pool of acceptable candidates is small, they should not be backstabbers, they need to be competent enough, their policies palatable, and to be good campaigners.

Smith strikes only one or none ( some policies perhaps ?) of the above 4.
    Either Umunna or Jarvis will most likely be the next Labour PM in about 2025. McDonnell is more competent than Corbyn. Smith is not a backstabber other than against Corbyn who has backstabber every previous Labour leader, is more competent than Corbyn, has policies leftwing enough for the present membership but not Corbynite exactly and is a reasonable campaigner
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,977

Sean_F said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

...It bears out my point. £7k a year would have been a handy sum, thirty years ago, but not enough to live on...

(I need to preface this reply by saying this is not a crack at you Sean_F, or the people you were talking to: damn nearly everybody exhibits this behavior, and it's driving me crazy)

I am constantly taken aback by people's inability to grasp or handle money or how it changes. Let's pick a date of, say, 1985. It's before the Lawson boom and after the miner's strike and the Brighton bomb, so things are reasonably settled. A two-bed terrace in a large town in England outside Greater London would have gone for around £20-25K. £7K would have been a good graduate salary. Today's equivalents would be around £30K for the same salary and £150-200K for the same house.

So yes, £7K would have been enough to live on.

Fair enough, I would have assumed the equivalent would be about £18k today. It's easy to forget just how prices and wages change.
    1985 £7k -> £20300.00 to be exact. But around then significant inflation, so you only have to go back 3-4 years and £7k then, is £30k today.
    I was quite wrong then. Real wages probably rose by about 60% since then, making it the equivalent of about £33k, easily a decent wage, if not a rich person's salary.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

We'd all pretty much forgotten about this by now, so they decide to get the Sundays talking about it again!!
    Never underestimate the ability of Corbyn's Labour to keep digging.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

We'd all pretty much forgotten about this by now, so they decide to get the Sundays talking about it again!!
    That £30k a year education was wasted on Milne.
  • Options

"A dog's death for a dog. Rightist deviationist Branson must face the People's justice, and answer for his crimes before the revolutionary tribunal."
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited August 2016
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

<

McDonnell perhaps, he has been tested as shadow chancellor and he is not a backstabber.

You see the pool of acceptable candidates is small, they should not be backstabbers, they need to be competent enough, their policies palatable, and to be good campaigners.

Either Umunna or Jarvis will most likely be the next Labour PM in about 2025. McDonnell is more competent than Corbyn. Smith is not a backstabber other than against Corbyn who has backstabber every previous Labour leader, is more competent than Corbyn, has policies leftwing enough for the present membership but not Corbynite exactly and is a reasonable campaigner
    Smith is seen as a backstabber and is a backstabber (he resigned from the shadow cabinet remember ?).

Smith's TV appearances make him look less competent than Corbyn, and his campaign is terrible (I can't forget his Liverpool rally where he tried to get a crowd by promising free ice cream).

As for Umunna, everytime I see him on TV he reminds me of an oily snake.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I was discussing this with OGH last week. Are Labour destroying themselves or is this really some brilliant new strategy?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

<

Smith is seen as a backstabber and is a backstabber (he resigned from the shadow cabinet remember ?).

Smith's TV appearances make him look less competent than Corbyn, and his campaign is terrible (I can't forget his Liverpool rally where he tried to get a crowd by promising free ice cream).

Labour's problem is indeed that Smith is worse.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

To paraphrase a recent PB title:

"It seems Corbyn is certain enough that he is going to win the leadership election that he is attacking Virgin"
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,994
    edited August 2016
    Sean_F said:

Fair enough, I would have assumed the equivalent would be about £18k today. It's easy to forget just how prices and wages change.

It's OK: as I said, everybody does it. In a previous job a guy on our team was from York, and I mentioned a two-bed riverside[1] flat in York, great area, own entrance, red-grey brick, double glazing, tile roof, white walls, on the small side but really nice. He was gobsmacked when I pointed out that in 1995 it would have sold for £45K. Things have *really* changed since '97, and not for the better... :(

[1] I know York floods every year, but this was on a hump and flood-defended

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

It's OK: as I said, everybody does it. In a previous job a guy on our team was from York, and I mentioned a two-bed riverside[1] flat in York, great area, own entrance, red-grey brick, double glazing, tile roof, white walls, on the small side but really nice. He was gobsmacked when I pointed out that in 1995 it would have sold for £45K. Things have *really* changed since '97, and not for the better... :(

Bought my first house, a 4 bedroomed terrace in sunny Balham, for 30k. Wish I could buy it back for that price now.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Sandpit said:

Quite. I guess they are happy to since having a businessman and the evil media attacking Jeremy plays well for him, even if it was perfectly justifiable since, with apologies to John McDonnell, the 'undermining' of democracy that was occurring was by demonstrating Saint Corbyn was not above political spin.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Speedy said:

Sandpit said:

The SNP are only interested in a pro-independence majority in Scotland. Them suggesting that Labour should support Indy is so nakedly transparent.

Now due to FPTP it's too late to save scottish Labour, but the SNP moving left means that is losing to it's right towards the Tories.
    Zero evidence this has occurred.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

I was discussing this with OGH last week. Are Labour destroying themselves or is this really some brilliant new strategy?
    They're destroying themselves. Great article by Kevin Meagher linked earlier explains why.
    http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2016/08/26/the-skipped-over-people-of-real-britain/#more-21063

It's fun to watch from afar, but a Parliamentary democracy really does require a serviceable opposition if it's to function effectively.

Branson's one of the most respected men in the country, he made a fortune in several businesses, has made millionaires of many others and employs thousands of people across Britain.

He's also bloody brilliant at marketing and PR, Corbyn going for him personally is only going to end with one winner - and it's not the guy with Seumas Milne doing the spinning! Why on Earth would he want a row with Branson in the middle of his own election campaign, the entrepreneur is surely about to eat him alive?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    MTimT said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

Bought my first house, a 4 bedroomed terrace in sunny Balham, for 30k. Wish I could buy it back for that price now.
    We bought our council house (1930's 3 bed semi) for £2,400 in 1972 iirc. My first house (3 bed detached cottage in N. Yorks) was £16,500 in 1980 - but I was working for a building society so was affordable even on the pittance I earned. Last house I bought (5 bed detached) was £169k in 1996.
  • Options
    BigIanBigIan Posts: 198
    Sean_F said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

<

Labour's problem is indeed that Smith is worse.
    Where's Argclu when you need her?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Branson's one of the most respected men in the country
    He is?

I'll take your word for it. I've never had much call to think about it, but I sort of presumed he was seen as a success but also a bit of a tit, with all the publicity seeking stuff. Honestly, he seems like he'd be more fun than most of the super rich though.

It's amusing to read tweets from people like Murdoch occasionally, which come across as genuine and not some intern, but it sort of ruins the mystique of the billionaire when you get a window into how they're just like the rest of us.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

That £30k a year education was wasted on Milne.
    I do wonder sometimes how someone so expensively educated can run out so stupid. I'm an introvert IT guy and I could do PR better than Milne.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

They're destroying themselves. Great article by Kevin Meagher linked earlier explains why.
    http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2016/08/26/the-skipped-over-people-of-real-britain/#more-21063

It's fun to watch from afar, but a Parliamentary democracy really does require a serviceable opposition if it's to function effectively.

Branson's one of the most respected men in the country, he made a fortune in several businesses, has made millionaires of many others and employs thousands of people across Britain.

He's also bloody brilliant at marketing and PR, Corbyn going for him personally is only going to end with one winner - and it's not the guy with Seumas Milne doing the spinning! Why on Earth would he want a row with Branson in the middle of his own election campaign, the entrepreneur is surely about to eat him alive?
    He is certainly has teflon qualities....

Virgin trains isn't very well liked nor is Virgin Media (which he doesn't own, but appears in the adverts), and I doubt most people know he has been a tax exile for donkeys years (because when he does appear he makes such a big splash) and very cleverly setup all his assets.

But I bet he is more respected than all politicians, compared to Green or Diamond etc etc etc.

McMao is an idiot to go for him, especially as the public think Beardy was telling the truth and Corbyn was caught with fingers in the cookie jar.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

He is?

I'll take your word for it. I've never had much call to think about it, but I sort of presumed he was seen as a success but also a bit of a tit, with all the publicity seeking stuff. Honestly, he seems like he'd be more fun than most of the super rich though.

It's amusing to read tweets from people like Murdoch occasionally, which come across as genuine and not some intern, but it sort of ruins the mystique of the billionaire when you get a window into how they're just like the rest of us.
    Yougov poll from last year had him as 4th most respected man in the country.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2935129/Angelina-Jolie-admired-woman-world-beat-Malala-Yousafzai-Hillary-Clinton-QUEEN-global-poll.html (At the bottom of this article, ignore the url)
  • Options
    Also I'm not sure conflating Sir Richard Branson with Sir Philip Green is an apt strategy either
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Virgin trains isn't very well liked nor is Virgin Media (which he doesn't own, but appears in the adverts), and I doubt most people know he has been a tax exile for donkeys years (because when he does appear he makes such a big splash) and very cleverly setup all his assets.

But I bet he is more respected than all politicians, compared to Green or Diamond etc etc etc.

McMao is an idiot to go for him, especially as the public think Beardy was telling the truth and Corbyn was caught with fingers in the cookie jar.
    I disagree. Mainly because Labour has long since stopped looking over their shoulder at the electorate. They're currently performing in the world's shittiest remake of Highlander. All the characters are symbols. Branson is the evil Plutocrat maligning the sacred Jezza. His acolytes are frothing that Branson is a heretic and should lose his title (another bad point).

TLDR: Labour don't care what we think. They care what members think.
  • Options
    John_M said:

I disagree. Mainly because Labour has long since stopped looking over their shoulder at the electorate. They're currently performing in the world's shittiest remake of Highlander. All the characters are symbols. Branson is the evil Plutocrat maligning the sacred Jezza. His acolytes are frothing that Branson is a heretic and should lose his title (another bad point).

Good point...I forgot the point of political parties was to lose elections.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Also I'm not sure conflating Sir Richard Branson with Sir Philip Green is an apt strategy either

Branson embarrassed Corbyn (or rather Corbyn embarrassed himself, but Branson revealed it), that is exactly as bad as anything Green has ever done.
  • Options

John_M said:

Labour's majority appears to be those who don't think they will lose despite all the current trouble so long as Corbyn is retained and those who think they will lose regardless so may as well keep Corbyn to ensure the right kind of Labour the time after next. So either the current actions are seen as helping win elections or doing no harm to the chances of winning.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sean_F said:

A little of both ....

A brilliant new strategy aimed at destroying themselves.

........................................................................................

Lovely day at Lords today. Excellent company, a good win and the PM was having fun too .... :smile:
  • Options

John_M said:

Francis. Normally I agree with pretty much everything you write, but I have walked among the Corbynites. It's a movement, a dream, a vision. It transcends our mundane politics with its elections and other fripperies.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

<

Against Corbyn who backstabbed Kinnock, Blair and Brown thus making it excusable.

Smith actually speaks quite fluently and thinks on his feet, albeit with the occasional gaffe which is more than can be said for Corbyn.

Blair and Cameron were both oily snakes but won elections
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    John_M said:

John_M said:

Francis. Normally I agree with pretty much everything you write, but I have walked among the Corbynites. It's a movement, a dream, a vision. It transcends our mundane politics with its elections and other fripperies.
    Sorry I think my post came out wrong....I was agreeing with you...we are in this weird world where we have a major political party who are totally disfunctional and whose leaderships actions don't take any consideration for winning at GE 2020 and now even have the Guardian totally against them.

I have to remind myself this constantly when I see totally bonkers stuff, like picking a fight with a popular public figure on an issue where we can see who is right / wrong with our own eyes.
  • Options

John_M said:

John_M said:

Sorry I think my post came out wrong....I was agreeing with you...we are in this weird world where we have a major political party who are totally disfunctional.
    I think part of Labour still cares very much - c.f. Southam of this parish. When I talk to Corbynites, they're definitely not of the same mind. Bizarre. Not a word I use lightly.
  • Options
    J
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

A little of both ....

A brilliant new strategy aimed at destroying themselves.

........................................................................................

Lovely day at Lords today. Excellent company, a good win and the PM was having fun too .... :smile:
    Jack W = TORY!!!! :lol:
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

Sorry I think my post came out wrong....I was agreeing with you...we are in this weird world where we have a major political party who are totally disfunctional.
    I think part of Labour still cares very much - c.f. Southam of this parish. When I talk to Corbynites, they're definitely not of the same mind. Bizarre. Not a word I use lightly.
    I hope SO gets his party back ASAP, because it is far better for the country as a whole when we have proper sensible opposition, we sawit when the Tories were crap at opposing Blair and we need it with Labour opposing May.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    A Labour government run by Jeremy Corbyn would borrow £15bn a year to build houses across the country – half of them council homes – as part of a £500bn programme of public investment, new policy papers have revealed.

It would aim to build one million homes during a five-year parliament and guarantee housing tenants – especially those in the private sector – new safeguards, including secure three-year contracts and protection from “unreasonable rent increases”.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/aug/27/jeremy-corbyn-1m-new-homes-plan-labour-government

A million sounds a lot, but 200k a year is basically the minimum we need and pre-crash we were doing this.

Also, if that is £15bn, what is the other £485bn going to be spent on? Renationalizing everything?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Jack W = TORY!!!! :lol:

Only 4 exclamation marks. How disappointing .. :sunglasses:
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    MTimT said:

So is Prescott (no, not THAT Prescott, Dak not John) going to save the season for the Cowboys.

No
  • Options
    edited August 2016

John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

I hope SO gets his party back ASAP, because it is far better for the country as a whole when we have proper sensible opposition, we sawit when the Tories were crap at opposing Blair and we need it with Labour opposing May.
    I'm very much on the left of the Tory party (mostly a classical Liberal washed up on the conservative shore), and thought Blair had a decent first term-and-a-half. I don't like having no competition for my vote, nor do I like the absence of scrutiny. There, we've returned to agreement again, and all is well in the world.
  • Options

John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

SO "getting his party back"???

Comrades!

The Labour Party was set up by the WORKERS for the WORKERS!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,397

Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Writing exclusively in the Sunday Mirror, Shadow Chancellor John ­McDonnell slams the Virgin billionaire as a “tax exile ll UK tax as “freeloaders” who are shirking their “public duty” – also singling out shamed rag trade tycoon Sir Philip Green .

the honours system, he adds: “Run off to tax exile if you want. But you leave your titles and your honours behind when you go.”

That Kevin Meagher piece is one of the best pieces I have read for a while. It explains why we voted leave better than almost anything I have read. So many people just ignored. Its bordering on sad it really is.
  • Options

John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

Comrades!

Is that what Big Len told you from Monte Carlo?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Writing exclusively in the Sunday Mirror, Shadow Chancellor John ­McDonnell slams the Virgin billionaire as a “tax exile ll UK tax as “freeloaders” who are shirking their “public duty” – also singling out shamed rag trade tycoon Sir Philip Green .

the honours system, he adds: “Run off to tax exile if you want. But you leave your titles and your honours behind when you go.”

That Kevin Meagher piece is one of the best pieces I have read for a while. It explains why we voted leave better than almost anything I have read. So many people just ignored. Its bordering on sad it really is.
    I messaged him to say how much I enjoyed it. I don't do that often. I grew up with people of that ilk, and live among them now - and love it. They are the salt of the earth (patronising though that sounds).
  • Options

Also, if that is £15bn, what is the other £485bn going to be spent on?

I cannot wait to find out! For that much it had better be pretty spectacular, only 15bn on housing is a little disappointing.
  • Options

John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

Comrades!

Is that what Big Len told you from Monte Carlo?
    Dave Urquhart = evil TORY!!!!! :lol:
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    kle4 said:

I cannot wait to find out! For that much it had better be pretty spectacular, only 15bn on housing is a little disappointing.
    Death Star to be targeted at descenters like Beardy Branson private island?
  • Options
    John_M said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

I messaged him to say how much I enjoyed it. I don't do that often. I grew up with people of that ilk, and live among them now - and love it. They are the salt of the earth (patronising though that sounds).
    I did a post saying it was one of the best political pieces I had read this year. I meant it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Death Star to be targeted at descenters like Beardy Branson private island?
    The revolution has no need of such weapons of mass destruction. To fund a mob to take down the island perhaps.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

I'm very much on the left of the Tory party (mostly a classical Liberal washed up on the conservative shore), and thought Blair had a decent first term-and-a-half. I don't like having no competition for my vote, nor do I like the absence of scrutiny. There, we've returned to agreement again, and all is well in the world.
    I'm pretty much in the same place, maybe a little to the right of you, voted for Blair in 2001 after Labour proved that they could avoid bankruptcy. It does feel weird not having anyone else even trying to attract me to vote for them though.

Labour will never win without those few million people in the centre ground voting for them, yet they don't seem to care about winning power any more.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

I'm pretty much in the same place, maybe a little to the right of you, voted for Blair in 2001 after Labour proved that they could avoid bankruptcy. It does feel weird not having anyone else even trying to attract me to vote for them though.
    Apparently there used to be this third option, called the Liberal something or others...
  • Options

Sandpit said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

Apparently there used to be this third option, called the Liberal something or others...
    It was a different time then.
  • Options
    @DavidL

Because you did't enjoy The Force Awakens, have you watched The Martian, is currently on Sky Movies.

That was my film of 2015, and not just for the soundtrack
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

Labour will never win without those few million people in the centre ground voting for them, yet they don't seem to care about winning power any more.
    It's odd isn't it? Of course, none of us sit easily in any political party and most of us don't have a coherent political view (I'm fiscal & defence hawk, but a social wet). Labour's extended multi-year tack to the Left and its repudiation of Blair post-Iraq is genuinely perplexing.

On Twitter, I keep pointing out that Labour need Tory voters, and the Corbynistas recoil as if I've proposed that they sleep with a syphilitic leper. Toryism is a taint to them. Incomprehensible.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Brilliant piece from Meagher, yet pretty much summed up in half a dozen words, in that famous tweet from Lady Nugee - the epitome of what Labour has become in the 21st Century.
  • Options

@DavidL

Because you did't enjoy The Force Awakens, have you watched The Martian, is currently on Sky Movies.

One of the best movies I've seen in years, I despair of David if he didn't or wouldn't enjoy it, no matter his cogent political analysis.
  • Options

@DavidL

Going to watch it tonight. Really looking forward to it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

@DavidL

One of the best movies I've seen in years, I despair of David if he didn't or wouldn't enjoy it, no matter his cogent political analysis.
    I agree wholeheartedly with your post.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

@DavidL

Going to watch it tonight. Really looking forward to it.
    I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.
  • Options

@DavidL

It's a great debut novel as well. Sicario pipped it for Film of the Year though.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

Indeedy. Maybe if they'd have dropped the ardent EUphilia and not spent the last two years attacking decisions made by the government of which they were part, a few more votes would have been forthcoming.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

@DavidL

The Martian?

Abandoned. Alone. Struggling for survival. One disaster after another.

Nothing but red as far as the eye can see.

No wait, that's Jeremy Corbyn.

• Options

@DavidL

The Martian?

More importantly did he struggle to find a free seat?
  • Options
    John_M said:

@DavidL

It's a great debut novel as well. Sicario pipped it for Film of the Year though.
    Very good novel indeed, and well adapted. I'll be interested in new works of his. Wiki says

Weir was said to be working on his second novel, initially titled Zhek. He described it as "a more traditional sci-fi novel. It has aliens, telepathy, faster-than-light travel, etc."[17] But has since then stated that that project was "back-burnered" and has moved to another hard sci-fi novel with female protagonist; based on the Moon and set in the 2080s-2090.

Well, at least if we leave someone on the moon it should be easier to fetch them.
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    edited August 2016
    John_M said:

Sicario let itself down at the end when...
    Spoilers said:

Spoilers said:

it stopped being about her and started being about him.

Having said that I am looking forward to the follow up.
  • Options

@DavidL

The Martian?

Naught but TORY propaganda!
  • Options

@DavidL

The Martian?

LOL
  • Options
    edited August 2016

@DavidL

The Martian?

More importantly did he struggle to find a free seat?
    When pontificating he was surrounded by emptiness, which does smack of Corbyn in the Commons.

On the other hand the film and even more so the book make astronauts seem like the most amazing human beings alive.

Not sure Sicario is my type of film, but I've heard it's good, and Blunt is a great actress.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

He is?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2935129/Angelina-Jolie-admired-woman-world-beat-Malala-Yousafzai-Hillary-Clinton-QUEEN-global-poll.html (At the bottom of this article, ignore the url)
    He's dropped to fifth this year.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/05/07/wma-2016/

Still, that puts him above more than 30 million.

Jeremy Corbyn is twelfth and the top British politician, which probably says more about his support than the population at large.
  • Options
    Mail on Sunday Front Page is something about victory for campaign on Foreign Aid. Can't read the details, but I presume PM May is going to restrict it.
  • Options
    The Labour Party is truly at the mercy of these apostolic socialists. When political realities finally close in on them we should look out for indications that they are about to retreat to a socialist paradise called Corbyntown in Guyana.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Sandpit said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

It's odd isn't it? Of course, none of us sit easily in any political party and most of us don't have a coherent political view (I'm fiscal & defence hawk, but a social wet). Labour's extended multi-year tack to the Left and its repudiation of Blair post-Iraq is genuinely perplexing.

On Twitter, I keep pointing out that Labour need Tory voters, and the Corbynistas recoil as if I've proposed that they sleep with a syphilitic leper. Toryism is a taint to them. Incomprehensible.
    You assume that they rate office over purity, which I think isn't the case. There can be no compromise with the electorate.
  • Options

The Labour Party is truly at the mercy of these apostolic socialists. When political realities finally close in on them we should look out for indications that they are about to retreat to a socialist paradise called Corbyntown in Guyana.

I used that analogy just last week. Great minds etc.
  • Options
    I see Hornby are trolling the Messiah. They will be next for the Kim Jong-Un treatment.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

kle4 said:

@DavidL

Was at the iGEM jamboree, about the day after the premiere of the Martian, on the day that it was announced that they had found water on Mars. Oh, the irony!

For those who don't know what iGEM is, worth looking up. It's the International Genetically-Engineered Machine competition, open to student teams from all around the world. last year around 250 teams entered and attended the jamboree in Boston. Wonderful to see so many kids so excited by science.

http://igem.org/About
  • Options
    John_M said:

Pah, I came up with that analogy long before that

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/756919357188534272
  • Options

John_M said:

TSE = TORY!!!! :lol:
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MTimT said:

kle4 said:

@DavidL

Was at the iGEM jamboree, about the day after the premiere of the Martian, on the day that it was announced that they had found water on Mars. Oh, the irony!

For those who don't know what iGEM is, worth looking up. It's the International Genetically-Engineered Machine competition, open to student teams from all around the world. last year around 250 teams entered and attended the jamboree in Boston. Wonderful to see so many kids so excited by science.

http://igem.org/About
    How inspiring! Great idea.
  • Options
    Reading the front page of The Sunday Times, Phil Hammond = Legend
  • Options

John_M said:

TSE = TORY!!!! :lol:
    So, third like......er.....um.
  • Options
    Oh dear...claims to be living with the plebs, but actually lives on the South Coast.
  • Options
    Corbyn has just tweeted a link to his campaign song 'I feel like Jeremy Corbyn' by Sam Harrison
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Are we still talking about Corbyn? Fooyah! He's not worth a bet unless it's in old shillings, and they're worthless.

Thank god august is nearly over and the kiddies and politicians go back to their respective schools.
  • Options

I see those, rather naively, thinking the days of Chancellor's being second among equals and 'interfering' with others was over will be disappointed.

Seems like a story about nothing really, other than to confirm the Tory cabinet have not yet arrived a clear position. I mean, it says he's 'resisting' plans by Fox etc to pull out of the single market, well that isn't government policy yet, presumably they are resisting all sorts of things on lots of things until May can create a consensus.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

He is?

Jeremy Corbyn is twelfth and the top British politician, which probably says more about his support than the population at large.
    That's the link! I spent ages looking for that on YG's website, rather than post a Mail link from last year. Ho hum.

The point is that Branson's a generally well thought of guy, which transcends some of his companies, and he has a *really* good PR and marketing operation.

Corbyn will be front page news for weeks if he goes for Branson, and not in a nice way even for some of his more religious followers. Reading that Mirror story makes me think that there might be some value in Smith at 5/1.
  • Options
    John_M said:

But technically they are correct, albeit in a self-fulfilling, circular fashion.

Right now Labour shouldn't be wasting time trying to win back Tories in Nuneaton and Plymouth - that's pretty much a lost cause under Corbyn.

The Labour strategy should now be holding on to enough of their voters in Darlington, Sedgefield, Walsall and everywhere else where a modest swing to the Tories and the loss of votes to UKIP poses a threat.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I see those, rather naively, thinking the days of Chancellor's being second among equals and 'interfering' with others was over will be disappointed.

Seems like a story about nothing really, other than to confirm the Tory cabinet have not yet arrived a clear position. I mean, it says he's 'resisting' plans by Fox etc to pull out of the single market, well that isn't government policy yet, presumably they are resisting all sorts of things on lots of things until May can create a consensus.
    A few weeks ago we had a meeting with someone well versed in these matters.

His prediction was that the Treasury will produce various projections showing tax revenues dropping like a stone if we left the single market without trade deals in place/access to the market or if we moved to WTO rules.

The Treasury will never want to see revenues drop.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It works for May having Hammond demand full access to the single market and Davis and Fox that we pull out of the single market and end free movement completely, so when she agrees some single market access for controlled free movement it looks like the reasonable, compromise option
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Tomorrow's not going to be a slow news day, that's for sure.
    Three big stories there, one on Corbyn's aide, one on the Cabinet and the third on the BoE chief economist finally working out what happens when interest rates are effectively zero for the best part of a decade!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

He is?

That's the link! I spent ages looking for that on YG's website, rather than post a Mail link from last year. Ho hum.

The point is that Branson's a generally well thought of guy, which transcends some of his companies, and he has a *really* good PR and marketing operation.

Corbyn will be front page news for weeks if he goes for Branson, and not in a nice way even for some of his more religious followers. Reading that Mirror story makes me think that there might be some value in Smith at 5/1.
    At 5/1, I think there is some value. We simply don't have enough hard data and Corbyn has had a very poor last fortnight. Many of his supporters will be delighted that he's taken the fight to Branson but Corbyn can't win with his supporters alone; he needs persuadables too.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Tomorrow's not going to be a slow news day, that's for sure.
    Three big stories there, one on Corbyn's aide, one on the Cabinet and the third on the BoE chief economist finally working out what happens when interest rates are effectively zero for the best part of a decade!
    I really need tomorrow and Monday to be quiet days.
  • Options
    There are two unshakeable and dogmatic faiths in the country - Corbynism and Europhilia. And some people have both.
  • Options

John_M said:

But technically they are correct, albeit in a self-fulfilling, circular fashion.

Right now Labour shouldn't be wasting time trying to win back Tories in Nuneaton and Plymouth - that's pretty much a lost cause under Corbyn.

The Labour strategy should now be holding on to enough of their voters in Darlington, Sedgefield, Walsall and everywhere else where a modest swing to the Tories and the loss of votes to UKIP poses a threat.
    Normally I'd agree with you. But as the unofficial Corbyn spokesperson for this evening, it's considerably weirder than that. Not only are they not interested in elections, they also think they're going to win in 2020, which is genuinely magical thinking. The votes will come, just not from Tories. In fact, ex-Tory votes would somehow pollute the victory.

If ultimately pressed, they'll fall back on the 'Power without principles is worthless' meme. As I say, odd.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,463

Mail on Sunday Front Page is something about victory for campaign on Foreign Aid. Can't read the details, but I presume PM May is going to restrict it.

On his way out of the door, that was the one thing Cammo asked May particularly not to do.
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

Normally I'd agree with you. But as the unofficial Corbyn spokesperson for this evening, it's considerably weirder than that. Not only are they not interested in elections, they also think they're going to win in 2020, which is genuinely magical thinking. The votes will come, just not from Tories. In fact, ex-Tory votes would somehow pollute the victory.

If ultimately pressed, they'll fall back on the 'Power without principles is worthless' meme. As I say, odd.
    Didn't Corbyn say he would try to get the support of people who were 'considering' voting Tory? So he's bending. A little.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    IanB2 said:

On his way out of the door, that was the one thing Cammo asked May particularly not to do.
    I'm not sure Cammo had any capital left at that point.

If he had, Osbo would not have been fired either.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Looking at the story on twitter, it looks like they are diverting some of the money to the war on terror.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

I'm not sure Cammo had any capital left at that point.

If he had, Osbo would not have been fired either.
    Given that and that May's people made sure to let people know she did it brutally (she was praised for it by many, hence why I assume her people did it to make her look good) and some of the others let go or not promoted, it feels like May hated every minute of serving under Cameron.
  • Options
    I completely forgot that Victor Moses is a Chelsea player...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

Didn't Corbyn say he would try to get the support of people who were 'considering' voting Tory? So he's bending. A little.
    How is he going to do that, when the two most important things on his agenda are Palestine and refugees (let them all in!), followed by unilateral disarmament and handing the Falklands back to Argentina?
This discussion has been closed.