Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The latest Farage farrago, Douglas Carswell is accused of h

Comments

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    JackW said:
    Diverging polling.

The above should indicate a HIllary lead of 4 nationally, but we have polls this week ranging from a Trump lead of 1 to a Hillary lead of 13.

Thankfully my average daily tracking poll is keeping it's head together at a Hillary lead of 5.5% , Trump is going up but very slowly for the past week.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044

Mr. Jessop, to be honest, I'm not sure you're meant to be wearing one anyway :p

I have done belly dancing.

Seven people died laughing, and the tape has been banned in every country except North Korea, who use it to torture dissidents.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    PlatoSaid said:

Michael Fabricant
    Meanwhile, I learn from @patrick_kidd that #Corbyn was once the Secretary of the All Party Parliamentary Cheese Group.
    #respect

Did he stop doing it because he couldn't face the daily rind and felt he couldn't rennet effectively?
  • Options
    JackW said:

I'm off to change for dinner ....

Burkini it is .... :smile:

Not a Jacobini? :lol:
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

The burkini is offensive as an idea and on the eyes.

Why shouldn't people be allowed to wear what they want?

Sure; ban covering the face in schools, or in banks, or court, etc.

But it's not the job of the government to tell the citizens what they should or should not wear.
    Seems to me from what I understand that the Ataturk generally had the right idea (although it was only after revolution 1970s that it was made across genders). No place for this stuff in courts, government, schools, etc, but if you want to do that in your own personal life go ahead.
    Seems to have been a very forceful and visionary man, Ataturk, though it seems like Turkey is moving away from that vision all the time.
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

But it's not the job of the government to tell the citizens what they should or should not wear.
    As with many things, rcs has the right view on the balance to be applied I think.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/08/24/u-chicago-to-frosh-no-safe-spaces-here.html

Chicago university tells generation snowflake to bugger off. Hopefully the Ivy League and California colleges follow suit.

These kids are in for a shock when they get to the real world.
    The local radio here has been running a story on a survey of graduates entering the job market this Autumn.

Apparently, the biggest factor in deciding where to work is apparently work/life balance, even more so than the salary. For graduate trainee jobs!

If some snowflake asked me that in an interview they'd get a reply along the lines that work and life will be balanced, we won't be asking more than 50% of the hours in a week from them! Before politely placing their CV in the round filing cabinet under the desk.

They also don't seem to understand that the employers choose them, rather than the other way around!
    Surely it works both ways for many jobs. If you have a skill that is in demand or show good potential, then it's likely that you'll be able to choose from a number of job offers. I've been in that situation in the past, and I certainly wouldn't have chosen to work for a boss with your attitude!
    What in-demand skills does a graduate trainee have?

For someone with genuinely in-demand skills, I agree with you entirely!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Jessop, one would've thought a hijab wouldn't really fit with belly-dancing.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Michael Fabricant
    Meanwhile, I learn from @patrick_kidd that #Corbyn was once the Secretary of the All Party Parliamentary Cheese Group.
    #respect

Well the things we have learned so far about Corbyn in this leadership campaign is that he likes Jam and Cheese.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    welshowl said:

PlatoSaid said:

Michael Fabricant
    #respect

Did he stop doing it because he couldn't face the daily rind and felt he couldn't rennet effectively?
    He grated on everyone.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    PlatoSaid said:

Michael Fabricant
    #respect

That's literally the first thing that makes me warm to Corbyn. Should have been the parliamentary cheese board.
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, one would've thought a hijab wouldn't really fit with belly-dancing.

He wore it to "secure" his belly :lol:
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Dr. Prasannan, I wouldn't need that. Did many(ish) situps today.

Edited extra bit: besides, morris dancers are renowned for our svelte figures.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    rcs1000 said:

You have no right not to be offended; isn't that what we all said when there was the Mohammed cartoons?

Yes indeed. One of the most important rules I think, though it seems increasingly unpopular, to the point even if taking offence is objectively unreasonable or an extreme minority position, the possibility trumps all else.

Even if cultural forces make it a much harder choice to defy certain things, in this country people still have that choice if they really want it, or may want it one day. Taking away their choice, like taking away people's choice to be idiots (and protecting them from the consequences of their own stupidity) would surely be an overreaction. There are good reasons to take away that choice in official public settings, courts etc, but on the beach?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

And can you guarantee that their menfolk have not forced them to do so? I'm not sure

JackW said:

Charles said:

Indeed. This is about banning a tool of oppression.

Since @FeersumEnjineeya is so keen with parallels how would you feel about a gang of men in loinclitgs and shackled walking through the street. Even if they insisted it was free will.

Isn't it a "tool of oppression" for you to determine what women are allow to wear?

On the latter I'm not as familiar as you with the dress code in Soho or some of TSE's parties ....

No because it's not targeted at an individual
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264
    Ellie Mae O'Hagan ‏@MissEllieMae 35m35 minutes ago
    My prediction is Corbyn will win again with a bigger majority.
  • Options

From my experience, some forms of belly dancing have face and hair coverings. Removal of them are a pleasurable part of the act.

Except when I do it. )
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/08/24/u-chicago-to-frosh-no-safe-spaces-here.html

Chicago university tells generation snowflake to bugger off. Hopefully the Ivy League and California colleges follow suit.

The local radio here has been running a story on a survey of graduates entering the job market this Autumn.

Apparently, the biggest factor in deciding where to work is apparently work/life balance, even more so than the salary. For graduate trainee jobs!

If some snowflake asked me that in an interview they'd get a reply along the lines that work and life will be balanced, we won't be asking more than 50% of the hours in a week from them! Before politely placing their CV in the round filing cabinet under the desk.

They also don't seem to understand that the employers choose them, rather than the other way around!
    Surely it works both ways for many jobs. If you have a skill that is in demand or show good potential, then it's likely that you'll be able to choose from a number of job offers. I've been in that situation in the past, and I certainly wouldn't have chosen to work for a boss with your attitude!

creativity, problem-solving, experimentation, out-of-the-box thinking - it goes on. Skills are not the same as experience or knowledge.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

PlatoSaid said:

Michael Fabricant
    #respect

That's literally the first thing that makes me warm to Corbyn. Should have been the parliamentary cheese board.
    Take away the position of responsibility which grates on him, don't bring up certain triggering topics, and frankly Corbyn's little eccentricities, hobbies and mild manners make it seem like he'd be easy to get on with.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, you decadent bounder!

These oriental gyrations cannot match the virtuous glory of the morris dance!
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

welshowl said:

PlatoSaid said:

Michael Fabricant
    #respect

He grated on everyone.
    I'm not fondue him, but cheese is one of life's great pleasures so maybe Jezza does have a tenuous link to normality deep inside after all!
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Well we might as well stop talking about it - now that someone so important has given her opinion....
  • Options

Well we might as well stop talking about it - now that someone so important has given her opinion....
    Just a sign that Corbynista are getting excited about the result. Clearly going to war with Richard Branson has swung the final surge.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Seems to me from what I understand that the Ataturk generally had the right idea (although it was only after revolution 1970s that it was made across genders). No place for this stuff in courts, government, schools, etc, but if you want to do that in your own personal life go ahead.
    Seems to have been a very forceful and visionary man, Ataturk, though it seems like Turkey is moving away from that vision all the time.
    Ataturk also banned the Fez for the same reason as the hijab, which I believe was itself a replacement for the turban. Goodness knows what he would have made of Madness.

https://www.quora.com/Turkey-country-Is-it-true-that-people-were-executed-purely-for-wearing-a-fez
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,161
    RobD said:

I'd ban burkinis on the beach just on comfort grounds...

No s&m or fetishism unde the RobD dictatorship then..
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    LOL at Labour - G4S will not provide security services at conference.

That leaves a company who will not recognise a union or Momentum Red Guards loooool
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, the fez was worn by Janissaries, I think.

Anyway, I'm off.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080

Dr. Prasannan, I wouldn't need that. Did many(ish) situps today.

Edited extra bit: besides, morris dancers are renowned for our svelte figures.

They're usually more comfortable with vertical poles than horizontal ones though.
  • Options
    Floater said:

That leaves a company who will not recognise a union or Momentum Red Guards loooool

"Labour has been left humiliated after being forced to ask a security company it had pledged to boycott to help police its annual conference - only to be rejected."

Heart of stone etc

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/25/labour-left-humiliated-after-g4s-turns-down-last-ditch-plea-to-p/
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn for PM ‏@JeremyCorbyn4PM 5m5 minutes ago
    What’s your reason for backing Jeremy for leader? Share your thoughts and we’ll share your posts.

Oh, don't tempt me...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972

RobD said:

I'd ban burkinis on the beach just on comfort grounds...

No s&m or fetishism unde the RobD dictatorship then..
    Not in public at least ;)
  • Options
    ... first one posted says Jezza stands for total equality.

Total equality? Apart from the poor english - so everyone would be equal? How exactly is this to be engineered?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

... first one posted says Jezza stands for total equality.

Total equality? Apart from the poor english - so everyone would be equal? How exactly is this to be engineered?

I thought 'Idiocracy' was meant to be a satire, not a forecast.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

@ Sandpit Suggest you read Drive by Daniel Pink. In jobs requiring non-routine tasks, such as creativity and problem-solving, companies that give employees autonomy (over hours, tasks, methods and team mates) - which includes setting a good work/life balance - fair far better than those who are controlling, requiring particular hours be kept or too closely monitoring work methods.

Given these are graduates, hopefully they are entering the information economy rather than doing grunt work. If so, they are perhaps onto something that we old codgers have missed - to our own and our companies' detriment.
    I'll put it on the reading list, but the original point stands about a bunch of entitled graduates who think the world owes them a living and no-one has ever challenged them in any sphere. :)
  • Options

That's my prediction too so far.

Corbyn will be somewhere in the 60's.
  • Options

What’s your reason for backing Jeremy for leader? Share your thoughts and we’ll share your posts.

Oh, don't tempt me...

Oh that's easy.

Because Owen Smith is a turd sandwich.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    tlg86 said:

Leicester and Spurs have lucked in with the Champions League draw.

Winning the League helps get into pot a.

Arsenal should try it sometime ;-)
  • Options
    Speedy said:

That'll be the end of Owen Smith then and any other leadership bids for a couple of years.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:

"Labour has been left humiliated after being forced to ask a security company it had pledged to boycott to help police its annual conference - only to be rejected."

Heart of stone etc

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/25/labour-left-humiliated-after-g4s-turns-down-last-ditch-plea-to-p/
    It leaves the party without a security provider and facing the possibility of cancelling the conference or calling the police in to help at great expense, because of an ongoing row with the only other provider in the running, Showsec.

That's easy then - call in the police to do it at great expense, the coffers must be pretty high with these pay your way leadership contests.
  • Options

Speedy said:

That'll be the end of Owen Smith then and any other leadership bids for a couple of years.
    Now that would be a nice thing, internal peace and quiet for a few years.

I approve and will vote accordingly.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602

As someone who has been phoning around this week on behalf of the Smith campaign this week, that is the one outcome I would definitely rule out. There are just too many switchers from Corbyn in 2015 to conclude otherwise.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Heart of stone etc

It leaves the party without a security provider and facing the possibility of cancelling the conference or calling the police in to help at great expense, because of an ongoing row with the only other provider in the running, Showsec.

That's easy then - call in the police to do it at great expense, the coffers must be pretty high with these pay your way leadership contests.
    Merseyside cops have told them No.
  • Options
    For those of you who remember I was a eurosceptic remainer and became a firm Brexiteer at 5.30 am on the Friday after the referendum I have only just realised that my first call for Brexit news is now the Daily Express. How about that then !!
  • Options

For those of you who remember I was a eurosceptic remainer and became a firm Brexiteer at 5.30 am on the Friday after the referendum I have only just realised that my first call for Brexit news is now the Daily Express. How about that then !!

Oh my God, we have created a monster. In certain cases, it is permitted to read the Mail. The Express? Never.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Heart of stone etc

Poor form Telegraph not including that detail.

In that case, go ahead with Showsec - I think the party can handle one union, even a big one, causing a stink.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Heart of stone etc

In that case, go ahead with Showsec - I think the party can handle one union, even a big one, causing a stink.
    It only popped up on Twitter later - see upthread for Elgot tweets
  • Options

As someone who has been phoning around this week on behalf of the Smith campaign this week, that is the one outcome I would definitely rule out. There are just too many switchers from Corbyn in 2015 to conclude otherwise.

Oh, interesting. Tighter than BF's current 6/1 ?
  • Options
    John_M said:

Oh my God, we have created a monster. In certain cases, it is permitted to read the Mail. The Express? Never.
    I have always read the mail and have it delivered daily. The mail and I have become somewhat reconciled since the referendum
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

creativity, problem-solving, experimentation, out-of-the-box thinking - it goes on. Skills are not the same as experience or knowledge.
    I'd consider myself a reasonable manager, interested in development and training of his team, making sure to give praise, take ideas from the team etc.

But if interviewing for a graduate trainee for which I'd received 100 applications, I'd weed out any 21 year old interviewee asking questions like how many hours a week they would be expected to work *as their most important consideration*
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

tlg86 said:

Ouch! Actually we did quite well too. Off to Porto, Brugge and wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

The only internal info I got was from someone working at Smith's phonebanks in London a month ago, back then they had Corbyn 60, Smith 25.

Since then Smith has had a dire campaign and a series of pretty bad debate performances, so logically that has not shrunk.
  • Options

How do you now feel about the "advice" you read which persuaded you to vote for REMAIN?
    For me it was the threat of interest rate rises that gave me second thoughts prior to voting - but I still voted LEAVE. I now regard Carney as a political tool and not an independent expert.
  • Options

John_M said:

I have always read the mail and have it delivered daily. The mail and I have become somewhat reconciled since the referendum
    The papers have the thinnest of grasps when it comes to the reality of Brexit. I'd urge you to move on with your life and enjoy North Wales to the fullest. Brexit will chunter on in the background without us peering over its shoulder.
  • Options

How do you now feel about the "advice" you read which persuaded you to vote for REMAIN?
    For me it was the threat of interest rate rises that gave me second thoughts prior to voting - but I still voted LEAVE. I now regard Carney as a political tool and not an independent expert.
    Since when are senior civil servants NOT political tools ?
  • Options

An interest rate rise was what I wanted! I spoke to my uncle last night and he's chuffed to buggery. We're leaving the EU and his tracker mortgage has come down 0.25%... not that Mr Meeks would approve!
  • Options
    Speedy said:

When they have integrity and respect for their office.
  • Options

Speedy said:

So the answer is never, which is the correct one.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MTimT said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

@ Sandpit Suggest you read Drive by Daniel Pink. In jobs requiring non-routine tasks, such as creativity and problem-solving, companies that give employees autonomy (over hours, tasks, methods and team mates) - which includes setting a good work/life balance - fair far better than those who are controlling, requiring particular hours be kept or too closely monitoring work methods.

Given these are graduates, hopefully they are entering the information economy rather than doing grunt work. If so, they are perhaps onto something that we old codgers have missed - to our own and our companies' detriment.
    I'll put it on the reading list, but the original point stands about a bunch of entitled graduates who think the world owes them a living and no-one has ever challenged them in any sphere. :)
    I once had a guy turn up late for an interview and he cheerfully told me he was sorry " but was sorting out some travel arrangements for a trip with a friend" (said friend worked for my employer)

He then made clear his number one priority was getting business trips.

He didn't get the job.

• Options
    This is rather fun

A new online tool called Back In My Day has launched
    The site shows how prices have changed over the years across the UK
    In 1970s London a house cost £4,378, while a litre of fuel came in at 7p

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3755339/How-did-things-cost-young.html
  • Options

Oh, don't tempt me...

His great media management team?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080

Speedy said:

So civil servants not doing the bidding of democratically elected politicians is a good thing, except when they're in Brussels?
  • Options

I had hoped that further negotiations would take place and that leaving would be premature. The concern on exchange rates also played a part but with hindsight the drop in sterling's value has positives though it cost me quite a bit more for my holiday in Italy.

We stayed within a few miles of Perugia and this weeks earthquake is tragic and very real to us as we explored those lovely Umbrian hilltop villages just three weeks ago
  • Options

Oh, interesting. Tighter than BF's current 6/1 ?
    I don't know how representative my list is, because almost everyone I've spoken to on it seems to have voted also in 2015 so it seems unduly light on new sign ups, but I'm picking up a noticeable trend away from Corbyn when people say how they voted in 2015, with few going the other way, even allowing for a bit of bias in the responses.

There is also a YouGov poll on the Labour leadership in preparation, which if it was not a private poll will be out within the next two days and possibly sooner.
  • Options

Speedy said:

So civil servants not doing the bidding of democratically elected politicians is a good thing, except when they're in Brussels?
    Carney holds an office where he should be the "independent Governor of the Bank of England". He is not a civil servant to be told what to do by the Chancellor. He has a few targets that we know such as the 2% inflation target - and he then has to explain if/when that target is exceeded by a set margin.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

The only internal info I got was from someone working at Smith's phonebanks in London a month ago, back then they had Corbyn 60, Smith 25.

Since then Smith has had a dire campaign and a series of pretty bad debate performances, so logically that has not shrunk.
    Well you've got some more now.
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

The papers have the thinnest of grasps when it comes to the reality of Brexit. I'd urge you to move on with your life and enjoy North Wales to the fullest. Brexit will chunter on in the background without us peering over its shoulder.
    We have enjoyed North Wales for over 50 years and my great grandparents were born not far from us. Driving into Llandudno today was just as fabulous as anywhere with it's two Ormes and Victorian Seafront Hotels. I urge anyone who has not visited Llandudno to treat yourself to experiencing the joy of a lovely Holiday Town with the Mountains of Snowdonia only half an hour away.

As for Brexit it will happen in some form and remainer's need to accept the vote
  • Options
    Kevin Schofield
    Owen Smith: "Jeremy Corbyn called a Conservative Party MP a lunatic in 1992." Corbyn: "I'd rather we got on with discussing politics."
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    PlatoSaid said:

This is rather fun

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3755339/How-did-things-cost-young.html

In 1970s London surely there was an awful lot of inflation about. What I find most disconcerting about watching The Sweeney is not the boozing or violence, or the casual sexism and occasional racism, it is that no-one wears a seatbelt.
  • Options

John_M said:

John_M said:

We have enjoyed North Wales for over 50 years and my great grandparents were born not far from us. Driving into Llandudno today was just as fabulous as anywhere with it's two Ormes and Victorian Seafront Hotels. I urge anyone who has not visited Llandudno to treat yourself to experiencing the joy of a lovely Holiday Town with the Mountains of Snowdonia only half an hour away.

As for Brexit it will happen in some form and remainer's need to accept the vote
    I want to do the Great Orme Tramway.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Oh, don't tempt me...

His great media management team?
    The only reason for backing Corbyn is that Smith has shown himself to be even worse, And vice versa.
  • Options
    Pew Research
    Europeans are divided on what determines national identity https://t.co/hts1DKJhCf https://t.co/paOZm3qwUd
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

An interest rate rise was what I wanted! I spoke to my uncle last night and he's chuffed to buggery. We're leaving the EU and his tracker mortgage has come down 0.25%... not that Mr Meeks would approve!
    Yes George Osborne promised ( actually he was threatening - how I laughed at that "threat") me the Pound would drop ( it has a bit - great), and interest rates would rise. I'm still waiting for the second bit given Carney's taken leave of his senses and cut them. Half a loaf.

Still voted out. Still glad I did.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Ouch! Actually we did quite well too. Off to Porto, Brugge and wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen?
    I shall see what I can do. Fox jr is keen to go to Europe. The Copenhagen home game kicks off 4 hours after I land at Stanstead from a trip. Could be a bit tight.

The others suit my rota well, I don't know how easy away tickets will be to acquire.

• Options

John_M said:

John_M said:

Good choice
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Pew Research
    Europeans are divided on what determines national identity https://t.co/hts1DKJhCf https://t.co/paOZm3qwUd

Aren't they supposed to all be good little Europeans? That nice Mr Drunker said the other day that borders are bad and immigration is good.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Kevin Schofield
    Owen Smith: "Jeremy Corbyn called a Conservative Party MP a lunatic in 1992." Corbyn: "I'd rather we got on with discussing politics."

A different era...
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I shall see what I can do. Fox jr is keen to go to Europe. The Copenhagen home game kicks off 4 hours after I land at Stanstead from a trip. Could be a bit tight.

The others suit my rota well, I don't know how easy away tickets will be to acquire.
    Good luck with getting tickets, Leicester certainly deserve it. As a Liverpool fan, I'd confidently say that nothing beats the atmosphere of a European night's football, although sadly my team have been crap at qualifying recently and I've been abroad too much to attend.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Why font you just change your return and go via Copenhagen instead? Assuming it's low cost airline given stansted the write off shouldn't be too bad?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

Pew Research

Aren't they supposed to all be good little Europeans? That nice Mr Drunker said the other day that borders are bad and immigration is good.
    Don't know how his Luxembourg would've set up all those nice advantageous banking and tax arrangements, that had his French and German neighbours hot footing it over the err border with all that lovely lolly to enrich said pumpernickel principality without there having been a set of international frontiers extant? Or am I missing something?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Douglas Carswell has been trolled heavily by Kippers today after mocking Farage for meeting Trump. If UKIP is to have a future it will rely on there being a soft BREXIT which will allow it to campaign on a firm 'end all free movement, leave the single market' ticket, there is no future for Carswell's brand of libertarian, relaxed about immigration politics in UKIP, unless he forms a new Libertarian Party (perhaps with Hannan) the most likely outcome is for Carswell to rejoin the Tories, especially now the UK is leaving the EU and the leadership is Cameron free
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    PlatoSaid said:

This is rather fun

No doubt even then people complained how high the prices were * cries*.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Interesting new data today showing Poland has overtaken India as the most common non-UK nation of birth for people living in Britain. Overall 13% of the population is now foreign born, rising to 37% in London.

There is also a strong correlation between areas with an above average population of foreign born and those which voted Remain in EUref and areas with a below average population of foreign born and those which voted Leave. Westminster is 50% foreign born for example, Islington 37%, Runneymede 18% and Manchester 26%. Merthyr Tydfil by contrast is just 5% foreign born, Sunderland 5%, Nuneaton 7% and Havering 11%
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37183733
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/bulletins/ukpopulationbycountryofbirthandnationality/august2016
  • Options
    nunu said:

PlatoSaid said:

This is rather fun

Question is what have been the qualitative gains. A "£20k" ( at 2016 prices) in the 1940's was a Morris Minor it's now something like a Focus or a Golf.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

This is rather fun

In 1970s London surely there was an awful lot of inflation about. What I find most disconcerting about watching The Sweeney is not the boozing or violence, or the casual sexism and occasional racism, it is that no-one wears a seatbelt.
    After a crash, the last place you wanted to be in a 60/70s car was inside it. Seat belt legislation failed in the HoP three times because of that.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Heart of stone etc

This is the Labour Party conference we are talking about. All a union has to do to stop it is start a picket line at every entrance.

• Options
    26% and 25% respectively of Labour MPs vote Cameron and May the most impressive parliamentarian of 2016, Corbyn got 1 (a Tory) and Smith managed 3%
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-snubbed-by-mps-in-poll-to-find-most-impressive-politician-a3329361.html
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

26% and 25% respectively of Labour MPs vote Cameron and May the most impressive parliamentarian of 2016, Corbyn got 1 (a Tory) and Smith managed 3%
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-snubbed-by-mps-in-poll-to-find-most-impressive-politician-a3329361.html

Says Jacob Rees-Mogg is tipped as a future speaker. Bercow won't like that.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Mogg knows Parliament backwards and would be an excellent choice
  • Options
    nunu said:

PlatoSaid said:

This is rather fun

It was a popular folk theory at the time that inflation was caused by decimalisation, which meant people no longer understood how much they were being charged.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Seconded, and you can bet he'd bring back the wig.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,010
    nunu said:

PlatoSaid said:

This is rather fun

Prices were significantly higher than they'd been in 1950, so - to the people of the time - they were high. All things are relative.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Seconded, and you can bet he'd bring back the wig.
    Certainly, it will be full formal dress for him
  • Options
    nunu said:

PlatoSaid said:

This is rather fun

Inflation was 24.5% in 1975. What a time to be alive! This was the boomers secret weapon for home ownership. Buy a house with a colossal mortage, eat cat food three times a week for a year, then pay off the mortgage with your latest pay cheque. I exaggerate slightly, for effect.
  • Options

nunu said:

PlatoSaid said:

This is rather fun

It was a popular folk theory at the time that inflation was caused by decimalisation, which meant people no longer understood how much they were being charged.
    My dad says that the day before the change a cup of tea in the cafe near his work cost 3 old pence. After the change a cup of tea cost 3 new pence.
  • Options

nunu said:

PlatoSaid said:

This is rather fun

Decriminalization if what? I wonder what we will look back on now and say that was just a myth.
  • Options

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    nunu said:

PlatoSaid said:

This is rather fun

That site is not producing results that bear any resemblance to the reality that I remember. For example it says that in 1971 the average cost of a house in London was £4,741. I fact in the early seventies property boom a very average 3 bedroom terrace by Wandsworth Town Station (not in any way a select area then) would change hands for £17-19,000.

God knows where they are getting their numbers from.
  • Options
    nunu said:

nunu said:

PlatoSaid said:

This is rather fun

Decriminalization if what? I wonder what we will look back on now and say that was just a myth.
    Probably something to do with immigrants.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I have never heard that before. Does anyone know if it is a new rumour?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452

John_M said:

John_M said:

I was in Llandudno two weeks ago. It might be my favourite coastal town in the UK. Absolutely lovely.
  • Options
    nunu said:

nunu said:

PlatoSaid said:

This is rather fun

Decimalisation: we switched from pounds, shillings and pence to decimal money. I blame the Common Market.
This discussion has been closed.