Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The latest Farage farrago, Douglas Carswell is accused of h

1235»

Comments

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

The burkini is offensive as an idea and on the eyes.

Why shouldn't people be allowed to wear what they want?

Sure; ban covering the face in schools, or in banks, or court, etc.

But it's not the job of the government to tell the citizens what they should or should not wear.
    Seems to me from what I understand that the Ataturk generally had the right idea (although it was only after revolution 1970s that it was made across genders). No place for this stuff in courts, government, schools, etc, but if you want to do that in your own personal life go ahead.
    Seems to have been a very forceful and visionary man, Ataturk, though it seems like Turkey is moving away from that vision all the time.
    Ataturk also banned the Fez for the same reason as the hijab, which I believe was itself a replacement for the turban. Goodness knows what he would have made of Madness.

https://www.quora.com/Turkey-country-Is-it-true-that-people-were-executed-purely-for-wearing-a-fez
    You have to laugh at these so called liberals supporting a millatry dictators illeberal rulings. The illiberal liberals. They exist on the left and right.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    New thread.....
  • Options
    RobD said:

New thread.....

Chance for a podium finish now gone however....
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    So have we done the whole Republicans failed to correctly file paperwork so Trump isn't on the ballot in Minnesota? But now he is due to rule bending/ignoring.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

So have we done the whole Republicans failed to correctly file paperwork so Trump isn't on the ballot in Minnesota? But now he is due to rule bending/ignoring.

A tad silly to deny the GOP candidate a place on the ballot.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

It kind of reflects poorly on their ability to run the country if they can't get their candidate on the ballot paper correctly.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

It kind of reflects poorly on their ability to run the country if they can't get their candidate on the ballot paper correctly.
    Mind you the last Republican to win Minnesota was Richard Nixon in 1972 so I don't think Trump has much chance there
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Alistair said:

I know our system has peculiarities, inanities, and is also open to abuse, but stuff like that really makes it seem so stupid at times.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,590

PClipp said:

It's Dr. Prasannan, I didn't spend ten years in Evil Medical School Imperial College to be called "mister," thank you very much.

I have noticed, my dear fellow, as I have wandered around the world, that the only people who insist on having their doctorates mentioned in normal conversation, are those who were awarded them by third rate institutions, or in third rate countries, probably as a result of corruption.

Since I am sure this does not apply to yourself, it might be better to lay off the insistence on your title.
    Imperial College is hardly a third rate country, and the UK is hardly a third rate institution!
    Indeed, but insistence on Title is not always to keep good company, and comes across as being a little "Captain Mainwaring".

But one of the people in online politics who seems to insist on his Doctorate is one Dr Eoin Clarke, who does indeed have his Doctorate but always insists in using it debates about the NHS.

How does the girl/boy friend get on with "call me Doctor"?

I'll add that I have a very high opinion of Imperial - Oxbridge goes down several levels because they hand out fake Masters degrees to basic graduates. I hope that Imperial do not do that.
This discussion has been closed.