Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Making sense of this week’s UK and US polling – the PB/Poll

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,445
    alex. said:

TOPPING said:

Watching the Olympics now is a bit like the end of the NH season. We've had the excitement culminating in the Gold Cup (100m) and are now waiting for the Whitbread (200m).

The rest is meh.

Don't miss the showjumping in the Modern Pentathlon. Usually good for a laugh.
    Is that where they draw lots for the horses? Yes ISTR that can be amusing.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited August 2016

Moses_ said:

What happens in the kicky fight in Jim jams if they are equal at the end. Is it a sudden death kick off?

Yes. Could last hours on this form.....
    Would have been more fun if the Spanish girl came back onto the floor .....raised her leg then just stuck 3 banderillas into her opponent.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    alex. said:

TOPPING said:

Watching the Olympics now is a bit like the end of the NH season. We've had the excitement culminating in the Gold Cup (100m) and are now waiting for the Whitbread (200m).

The rest is meh.

Don't miss the showjumping in the Modern Pentathlon. Usually good for a laugh if the organisers haven't taken much care in picking the horses.
    I hope its good this time, I've been talking up the potential chaos to people for months.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago
    Friday's FT BREXIT EXCLUSIVE: "City abandons hope of full access to EU single market" #tomorrowspaperstoday

tbh, I'm surprised the FT didn't run with black edging.

Anyway, if it's true and that is the City's representative view, May will be able to wipe the sweat from her brow.
    So we're going for Switzerland PLUS - i.e. plus extra access for Financial Services?

It's risky, very risky, but if we pull it off it could be the best possible result.

Switzerland is an enviable nation. I'd be totally happy if the UK could be an oversized Switzerland, with more soft power.

Yes, but we won't call it Swiss+ 'cos the Swiss-EU relationship is, in diplo speak, in the shitter.
    My recent visit to Ticino - the Italian-speaking corner of Switzerland - spoke eloquently of an extroardinarily lucky country - beautiful, peaceful, friendly, happy. Nice wines. Good food. Splendid railways. Sexy girls and a rock hard currency.

The only problem was the traffic through the (incredibly impressive) road tunnels.

Let us be a bigger Switzerland, Lord. For this we pray.

Didn't we have to bus schoolkids in at gunpoint to fill empty seats in 2012?
  • Options

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago
    Friday's FT BREXIT EXCLUSIVE: "City abandons hope of full access to EU single market" #tomorrowspaperstoday

Anyway, if it's true and that is the City's representative view, May will be able to wipe the sweat from her brow.
    So we're going for Switzerland PLUS - i.e. plus extra access for Financial Services?

It's risky, very risky, but if we pull it off it could be the best possible result.

Switzerland is an enviable nation. I'd be totally happy if the UK could be an oversized Switzerland, with more soft power.

Yes, but we won't call it Swiss+ 'cos the Swiss-EU relationship is, in diplo speak, in the shitter.
    My recent visit to Ticino - the Italian-speaking corner of Switzerland - spoke eloquently of an extroardinarily lucky country - beautiful, peaceful, friendly, happy. Nice wines. Good food. Splendid railways. Sexy girls and a rock hard currency.

The only problem was the traffic through the (incredibly impressive) road tunnels.

If so it worked, I remember it being pretty darn packed for almost everything. Good optics.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

And the hits just keep on coming...

@joerichlaw: Labour facing cancellation of next month's crucial Party Conference as officials fail to arrange security contract https://t.co/DEK9z9mLjd

That's probably a win, isn't it?
    LOL
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,085
    SeanT said:

alex. said:

SeanT said:

It's a bit of a disaster, really, isn't it? From crime to Russia to doping to bent judges to... worst of all... the endless empty seats in all arenas.

The worst games of modern times? Gotta be close, with Atlanta.
    Athens was pretty appalling.

It's a bit difficult to accurately assess the situation with crowds. I think there is a lot of comparison with London, where the crowd attendence was unprecedented. I remember quotes from athletes expressing astonishment at the huge attendance at sessions which all by all precedents were pretty sparsely attended (eg. morning/"qualifying" sessions at athletics). Can't recall how attendance generally was pre London.
    London probably had the best attendance of any Games in history.

But Beijing was also good, though they did it, in part, by bussing kids and families in. And why not - this is what Rio should have done, when it became obvious things were going awry, but they haven't got the nous or the money or the willpower, it seems.

Rio is certainly one of the WORST attended Games I can recall. I don't remember huge sweeps of empty seats for the major athletics events in the evening - ever.

Really rather a shame.
    Wonder what the attendances will be in Tokyo! It'll probably be expensive.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

If so it worked, I remember it being pretty darn packed for almost everything. Good optics.
    From memory, I think the only real issue at London was the unfair criticism of the first week when there were empty seats in the areas reserved for competitors. Naturally these areas are a lot more crowded towards the end of the two weeks than at the beginning.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

I dont think we did. My memories of 2012 are of it being impossible to get tickets for anything - the Fencing quarter finals, the BMX qualifiers, the bloody cleaning of the lockers at the Greco Roman wrestling - everything was sold out.

The only empty seats - early on, and it changed - came from VIP and media no-shows, IIRC
    There were some empty seats. Elder grandson, then at Uni was given a seat at the 100m final. However, I think it WAS supposed to be a VIP's seat.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

Why should we pray about anything? Oh yes, I remember, idiots like you plunged us into this nihilistic stupidity. And now you are resorting to prayers so we can miraculously change into Switzerland. If it wasn't so fucking depressing (and hopeless), your post might possibly be funny.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

@joerichlaw: Labour facing cancellation of next month's crucial Party Conference as officials fail to arrange security contract https://t.co/DEK9z9mLjd

Guess how long it will take them to drop their ideological hatred of G4S, in the face of having their conference cancelled 'cos no-one else wants to work with them either?
    Can't imagine that G4S would want the contract, to much of a chance of bad publicity!
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

Love how the Swiss call large elevators 'elevators' and small ones 'lifts'.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Guess how long it will take them to drop their ideological hatred of G4S, in the face of having their conference cancelled 'cos no-one else wants to work with them either?
    Can't imagine that G4S would want the contract, to much of a chance of bad publicity!
    Doesn't normally seem to worry them!
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Serbs vs Croats in men's water polo final. What could go wrong?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Hurrah!!! August is more than half way over, the Olympics will be ending in a few days and the normal hurly-burly will start again after the August bank holiday. The only problem on the horizon is that our politicians won't get over their holiday mood until the Conference Season is well and truly over. Oh well, it could be worse, we could have a head of state like Hollande. ;)
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    tyson said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

Why should we pray about anything? Oh yes, I remember, idiots like you plunged us into this nihilistic stupidity. And now you are resorting to prayers so we can miraculously change into Switzerland. If it wasn't so fucking depressing (and hopeless), your post might possibly be funny.
    If anything, continually moaning about the sovereign will of the British people because you disagree with them and neither understand nor apparently want to understand their objections to the status quo is far more nihilistic.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    TOPPING said:

Kicky Final at 2am. Someone tell me what happens!

It's like a semi-violent Riverdance.
    :lol:
  • Options
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

Ah, tyson. When we Brexit are you gonna choose Italy or Britain?

Gotta choose, cocksucker, gotta choose. Cause we've VOTED. Heh.
    As said, you are a fool (rather than an idiot). A Shakespearian clown. And to think sad people like you voted for this nonsense. Makes me feel depressed rather than angry.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:
    Your journey to luvviedom is almost complete lol. Seriously though, it is beautiful. But you still need help :).

It's only a matter of time before you start browsing garden tool catalogues and wearing cardigans. We'll be waiting for you on Middle-aged Island.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    The genitalia of the Presidential contender exercised a continuing fascination. A series of imaginary genitalia were constructed using (a) the mouth parts of Jacqueline Kennedy, (b) a Cadillac, (c) the assembly kid prepuce of President Johnson…In 89% of cases, the constructed genitalia generated a high incidence of self-induced orgasm. Tests indicate the masturbatory nature of the Presidential contender’s posture. Dolls consisting of plastic models of Reagan’s alternate genitalia were found to have a disturbing effect on deprived children.

Studies were conducted on the marked fascination exercised by the Presidential contender’s hairstyle. 65% of male subjects made positive connections between the hairstyle and their own pubic hair. A series of optimum hairstyles were constructed.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

Surprising that it took the FT and the City so long to see the obvious.
  • Options
    I've added the audio only version as well
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    MTimT said:

Serbs vs Croats in men's water polo final. What could go wrong?

The Serbs bring their ponies?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015
    edited August 2016
    Scott_P said:
    Why does the EU even bother wasting time with fluff like this? The whole premise is flawed since an EU country wouldn't be able to send as many athletes to the games.
  • Options
    You know, for all the easy mockery I do actually want Labour to be credible and a force, as I want as many parties as possible to do well, and I've generally though their floor is so high it is hard for them to have a true disaster even now, but seeing how some of them are talking to each other, it is simultaneously amusing and incredible, for all you;ve always had some outliers.

I mean, Chris Williamson MP tweets a message about Corbyn squatting on that train, man of the people and all that, and not using taxpayer cash to claim for an upgrade, and fellow Labour MP Graham Jones tweeps back that Corbyn was on Labour party business and would have broken rules by using taxpater money, and to grow up already. Such disdain and talking past each other.
  • Options

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

FYI Sam Coates is calling bullshit.
  • Options
    John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

Where?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    tyson said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

Life is good in the UK. You should return.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

What happens in the kicky fight in Jim jams if they are equal at the end. Is it a sudden death kick off?

Yes. Could last hours on this form.....
    Would have been more fun if the Spanish girl came back onto the floor .....raised her leg then just stuck 3 banderillas into her opponent.
    Ole!
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,048
    Scott_P said:
    Of course, it's not "the EU" but someone PR company's blog.

Then again, this is the kind of press that wins a referendum to protect the billionaires who own the press from EU Soviet Nazism.
  • Options

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

Where?
    https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/766378091132379136
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

God no, let him stay with all the other racists in Italy.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

You know, for all the easy mockery I do actually want Labour to be credible and a force, as I want as many parties as possible to do well, and I've generally though their floor is so high it is hard for them to have a true disaster even now, but seeing how some of them are talking to each other, it is simultaneously amusing and incredible, for all you;ve always had some outliers..

Filthy neutral scum (far worse than PB Tory scum)

:D
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    EPG said:

Scott_P said:

Then again, this is the kind of press that wins a referendum to protect the billionaires who own the press from EU Soviet Nazism.
    It was poor people who voted for it most of all, was it not? Are they not capable of making their minds up despite what the press says? All claims by each side were countered by the other side, everyone had the opportunity to hear them. So how much was it really down to the press I wonder?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

Abandon hope all ye who enter....Switzerland? Er.... Is that right?
  • Options
    John_M said:

Sean_F said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

God no, let him stay with all the other racists in Italy.
    I've met Tyson, he's a nice chap, really enjoyed his company, ditto Roger too.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

You know, for all the easy mockery I do actually want Labour to be credible and a force, as I want as many parties as possible to do well, and I've generally though their floor is so high it is hard for them to have a true disaster even now, but seeing how some of them are talking to each other, it is simultaneously amusing and incredible, for all you;ve always had some outliers..

Doesn't mean I don't want some to better than others of course , I just like PR.

And with non-corbynites all being Tories, there are a lot of non-traditional PB Tories around.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    EPG said:

Scott_P said:

Oi - EU - leave our fucking golds out of it, OK?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Doesn't mean I don't want some to better than others of course , I just like PR.

And with non-corbynites all being Tories, there are a lot of non-traditional PB Tories around.
    I've written a thread on PR, should be published towards the end of next week.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Ah, so your heart isn't totally full of neutrality! :D
  • Options
    tyson said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%
  • Options

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

:o
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Watching the WWE wrestling from Monday (anything to avoid the Olympics). Someone called 'Demon King' comes down the ramp with pyrotechnics, lighting and dramatic music.

The crowd is chanting - rhythmically, loudly, unmistakably and with great gusto - "Holy Shit! Holy Shit!".

After a short commercial break, we're back, and the crowd is now chanting "This is Awesome! This is Awesome!". Was it purely by chance, do you think?
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

I don't feel strongly enough to commit to full neutrality.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2016
    What does Donald Trump mean when he says "They will soon be calling me MR. BREXIT!"?

I haven't seen a single commentator put forward a reasonable guess. They all seem to prefer to ridicule Trump or to say that no-one understands what he means. I dislike Trump a lot, but that doesn't mean he talks gobbledegook. He obviously means something when he says those words. What is it?

He only learnt the word "Brexit" about three weeks before the referendum. (Source; commentary here).

Could he mean he will soon quit?

Another possibility is that his mind may have gone from "They say I'm a Putin asset" to "Next they'll be saying I helped Russia Today favourites UKIP".
  • Options

tyson said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%
    My favourite factoid of the referendum, the number of registered voters was 46,500,001. A very suspicious looking number.

tin foil hat time....
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

I don't feel strongly enough to commit to full neutrality.
    Too neutral to be fully neutral? What a burden you bear! :p
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    @John_M - I'm sure Sam Coates is right that there's no consensus view (and the names quoted in the FT article seem to be the usual Mandelsonian suspects). But whether there is or is not a consensus view of what they want, they ain't gonna get full access to the Single Market without full freedom of movement, which the government will (quite rightly) not concede. Sensible City firms will be planning accordingly.

Still, maybe, as the article suggests, insurance could be protected? It's certainly worth a try.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

I've written some absolute corkers for the next stint as guest editor, including what I consider, my finest ever piece.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,806
    John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

What they demand, what they think they will get and what they actually want are not necessarily the same things
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2016

EPG said:

Scott_P said:

ttps://twitter.com/telegraphsport/status/766358178741293057

Oi - EU - leave our fucking golds out of it, OK?
    "The EU Medal tracker is generated for all Olympics fans by the agency Euro-Informationen in Berlin." - And by an amazing coincident, were Goebbels did his best work. :lol:
  • Options

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

I've written some absolute corkers for the next stint as guest editor, including what I consider, my finest ever piece.
    :o ... your finest piece? your magnum opus? *quivers*

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited August 2016
    EPG said:

Scott_P said:

The European Commission and the European Parliament are some of Euro Informationen's biggest clients. Trying to pass Euro Informationen off as some random PR company is completely false. They are yet another company who are hoovering up EU funds to waste on pointless projects.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,629
    edited August 2016
    RobD said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

My finest piece isn't on the topic of AV nor electoral reform.
  • Options

@John_M - I'm sure Sam Coates is right that there's no consensus view (and the names quoted in the FT article seem to be the usual Mandelsonian suspects). But whether there is or is not a consensus view of what they want, they ain't gonna get full access to the Single Market without full freedom of movement, which the government will (quite rightly) not concede. Sensible City firms will be planning accordingly.

Still, maybe, as the article suggests, insurance could be protected? It's certainly worth a try.

When I think about the City, I remember how I feel when people talk about the 'software industry', as if it were some monolithic beast, instead of the incredibly complicated patchwork it actually is. City = here be dragons for the layperson. It's for others to sort out, I'll just drag any interesting tid-bits here.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

My finest piece isn't on the topic of AV or electoral reform.
    I'm assuming there is no Prince Albert in your finest piece?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Something to do with Eurovision and Hannibal, perhaps? ;)
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

RobD said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Well it bloody well should be.
  • Options
    John_M said:

When I think about the City, I remember how I feel when people talk about the 'software industry', as if it were some monolithic beast, instead of the incredibly complicated patchwork it actually is. City = here be dragons for the layperson. It's for others to sort out, I'll just drag any interesting tid-bits here.

Yes, absolutely right, it's extremely complicated. A Hedge Fund and a big insurance company have very little in common (and neither are 'bankers').
  • Options
    FF43 said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

What they demand, what they think they will get and what they actually want are not necessarily the same things
    Maybe that's why Trump is calling himself "Mr Brexit" - he's going to make some great deals. :smile:
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Sartorial elegance?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

BBC News just showed an interview with an Afghan refugee called "Ahmed".

He looked about six feet tall. He looked about 16 to 18 years old.

He claimed to be... 13. And the BBC didn't question it.

Just daft. One can have every sympathy for these poor bastards stuck in Calais (and elsewhere) yet also be aware that some will lie to game the system (as I would if I were them).

Did they ask why he hasn't claimed asylum in France?
  • Options
    Now can I be bothered to stay up to watch Bolt potter around the 200m, possibly taking the handbrake off and getting into 3rd gear before winning by a mile?
  • Options

tyson said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

Britain will come out of Brexit a vastly impoverished and diminished country. Granted many of those 52% had fuck all to lose so what the heck- for them voting Brexit was like going for double or nothing on a lose lose bet. I'd have done the same.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Just daft. One can have every sympathy for these poor bastards stuck in Calais (and elsewhere) yet also be aware that some will lie to game the system (as I would if I were them).

Did they ask why he hasn't claimed asylum in France?
    Because it's full of Frenchists?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited August 2016
    Disappointing to see we have no men or women in the Javelin, an event historically we have done so well in.

To the salt mine with em....
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194

they ain't gonna get full access to the Single Market without full freedom of movement, which the government will (quite rightly) not concede

Or, put another way, EU27 won't be able to trade in and with Britain within the single market without allowing the leaving member to restrict freedom of movement to its territory, which EU27 considers too high a price to pay. In short the woad-painted cry of "foreigners out" trumps everything. How well Britain is doing!

• Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

Britain will come out of Brexit a vastly impoverished and diminished country. Granted many of those 52% had fuck all to lose so what the heck- for them voting Brexit was like going for double or nothing on a lose lose bet. I'd have done the same.
    What about the vast numbers of those 52% who did have a lot to lose, were told they had a lot to lose, and still decided to go for it?
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    SeanT said:

I saw it. The rules on asylum seemed to have changed. The asylum seekers seem to be able to select where they go to claim asylum. None of this namby pamby first safe country stuff for them. This is of course aided and abetted by the EU authorities who either refuse to send them back and leave them next to a UK bound ferry port for weeks on end.

Asylum seeker becomes an economic migrant as soon as they pass through first safe country.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Why does the EU even bother wasting time with fluff like this? The whole premise is flawed since an EU country wouldn't be able to send as many athletes to the games.
    No, it's like those tables which show Yorkshire ahead of Brazil in the medals table (which I don't think it is today after Brazil had a very good day, Brownlee brothers notwithstanding, but might well be again tomorrow after Adams has her bout). They're a bit of fun but not really meaningful because as you say, teams, selection, training and so on would all be different.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,600

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

They should just construct signs, placed strategically around all the borders of the EU, saying:

Abandon hope all ye who leave here

HERE BE DRAGONS
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,600
    SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

And a lot of direct democracy and civic participation.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

they ain't gonna get full access to the Single Market without full freedom of movement, which the government will (quite rightly) not concede

Or, put another way, EU27 won't be able to trade in and with Britain within the single market without allowing the leaving member to restrict freedom of movement to its territory, which EU27 considers too high a price to pay. In short the woad-painted cry of "foreigners out" trumps everything. How well Britain is doing!

All woads lead to Wome.
  • Options

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

Not to mention watch and cuckoo clock manufacture, plus an industry drilling holes in cheese.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

That's probably not right. I can't see any even vaguely plausible scenario in which there isn't a tariff-free market in manufactured goods between the UK and the EU, unless the politicians screw up really badly (always possible, of course). The controversy won't be about that, it will be about trade in services - which matters a lot for us, and not much to them.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited August 2016

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

One of the largest migrant communities of any nation on the continent, including some of my cosins whose bank moved them there last month.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

OR electoral reform!

Use "nor" with "neither".
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

OR electoral reform!

Use "nor" with "neither".
    He was just using the logical NOR operator ;)
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Sartorial elegance?
    No, I did a thread on sartorial elegance last year, when I offered fashion advice to Mr Corbyn
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

Though assets held abroad are worth significantly more than 3 months ago!
  • Options

Disappointing to see we have no men or women in the Javelin, an event historically we have done so well in.

Apart from Mo Farah and a few noble exceptions our Athletics "team" are under performing for the money spent. 4 medals so far out of 79 awarded.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

There are clearly opportunities (as well as risks) for the City post-Brexit.

For a start, the City can kiss goodbye to that anti-banker's bonus directive. Suddenly London can compete with NYC and Hong Kong again

I certainly hope so, both on your general point and on the specific one of bankers' bonuses. If the government is looking for a way to retain employment in the City, it's a no-brainer and it also is justified in terms of financial stability.

There will be a hell of a political cost on bonuses, though.
  • Options
    I see that the Spanish are still managing to out-Irish the Irish in demonstrating the uselessness of PR:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/18/spanish-government-party-leaders-agreement-mariano-rajoy
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Apart from Mo Farah and a few noble exceptions our Athletics "team" are under performing for the money spent. 4 medals so far out of 79 awarded.
    I mentioned this yesterday, the two women we have funded for 5000m for many years are both unable to train properly because of long term incurable injuries and have shown virtually no improvement for years. In comparison, if you have a fat arse in the track cycling team and you don't do something about it, you get the heave-ho.

But we aren't really at the races in a lot of events. We haven't made finals or basically just making the numbers up. Again comparison to the swimming lot, they had 7 x 4th places in addition to the medals, which shows Team GB are really competitive at a world level in many different disciplines.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,445
    SeanT said:
    1. Truly, a transparent lamp about a spiritual flame.

2. I can see the return of huge bankers' bonuses being a huge hit with the core WWC Leave voters.
  • Options
    2012 Athletics also only got 6 medals 5% of those awarded. It looked better as 4 were gold. But 2 of the golds came from Mo.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,048
    MP_SE said:

EPG said:

Scott_P said:

The European Commission and the European Parliament are some of Euro Informationen's biggest clients. Trying to pass Euro Informationen off as some random PR company is completely false. They are yet another company who are hoovering up EU funds to waste on pointless projects.
    OK, so it's not true, but it's still "truthy" enough for PB.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,042
  • Options

2012 Athletics also only got 6 medals 5% of those awarded. It looked better as 4 were gold. But 2 of the golds came from Mo.

What we have seen in the cycling is as the likes of Hoy have retired in came Kenny and now we have seen the younger ones like Skinner really up there.

In athletics, we had a number of world class athletes at 100m, 110 hurdles, 200m, 400m, triple jump, javelin etc and no one appears to have really come through to replace those. At one point we had 4-5 400m runners who although couldn't keep up with the freak Johnson, where up with the rest of the world.
  • Options

But we aren't really at the races in a lot of events.
    And yet Gold medals wise we have a better spread than the US (dominated by swimming, athletics and gymnastics) and China (dominated by Weightlifting, Diving and Ping Pong) even with being dominated by Cycling and Rowing.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    kle4 said:

And yet Gold medals wise we have a better spread than the US (dominated by swimming, athletics and gymnastics) and China (dominated by Weightlifting, Diving and Ping Pong) even with being dominated by Cycling and Rowing.
    I was talking about exclusively athletics. In a huge number of disciplines, it isn't like we have the 3-5th best, either they aren't in the top 10 or if they are, it is as an also ran.

As I said in swimming, we have loads of swimmers who are in the top handful in the world, so you always have chances of a medal if you are competitive with the world best.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

There are clearly opportunities (as well as risks) for the City post-Brexit.

For a start, the City can kiss goodbye to that anti-banker's bonus directive. Suddenly London can compete with NYC and Hong Kong again

I certainly hope so, both on your general point and on the specific one of bankers' bonuses. If the government is looking for a way to retain employment in the City, it's a no-brainer and it also is justified in terms of financial stability.

There will be a hell of a political cost on bonuses, though.
    Theresa May has enormous political capital (as we can see from the polls). She needs to learn from Cameron's terrible political errors and spend it now when she is able.

So: approve Heathrow

Approve HS2

Cut corporate tax

Reform all the EU laws on financial services, like the bonus directive (when this becomes possible)

Call an election. Sod it. Do it.

Incidentally, I wonder what your opinion of Cameron is now, AS A POLITICIAN. It seems to me Cameron is one of the worst of recent prime ministers, in terms of promise compared with delivery. He promised so much, he won that amazing majority, and then he blew it all on a nation-changing referendum he could easily have fixed such that he'd certanly win. But he lost.

This is surely political cackhandedness of the first water, and by itself relegates Cameron to some Nth division. But you might differ.
    May remains an enigma that people can project their desires onto.

I suspect that she will walk away from both HS2 and Heathrow.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

Incidentally, I wonder what your opinion of Cameron is now, AS A POLITICIAN. It seems to me Cameron is one of the worst of recent prime ministers, in terms of promise compared with delivery. He promised so much, he won that amazing majority, and then he blew it all on a nation-changing referendum he could easily have fixed such that he'd certanly win. But he lost.

This is surely political cackhandedness of the first water, and by itself relegates Cameron to some Nth division. But you might differ.

He remains the best PM of the last fifty years, bar Maggie. Pity he blew it at the end, but on the other hand, did he really blow it? He offered the choice to the public on a topic which has poisoned UK (and especially Conservative) politics for decades, and the public made their choice. He was on the losing side, and accepted the consequences. It was an honourable defeat, he put his back into arguing his case.

Overall, I don't think that he could easily have fixed it to win. How? It was about immigration and anti-Establishment anger, pure and simple, which trumped economics.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    tyson said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

BBCNews 9m9 minutes ago

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

Britain will come out of Brexit a vastly impoverished and diminished country.
    You hope.

Your hopes won't be fulfilled.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

Yes. Thisi is true. We have had an amazing Olympics which would gratify 99% of nations on God's Green Earth. We will surely come 3rd in medals and might even nick 2nd, a fantastic result for a small if punchy island nation.

But we mustn't stop here. More, more. And that means examining areas where we fucked up: Track and Field.
    What is really encouraging is seeing the progression in lots of sports. Cycling, Hoy / Pendleton gone, in comes Kenny, Skinner, Trott...

Rowing, Sir Grump Bum and co gone, we have done better each Olympics since.

The swimmers the same. The gymnastics. Beth Tweedle was at one point our only competitive athelete, now we had 4-5 really up. The diving, it ain't just Tom Daley anymore.

Where as Track and Field, we used have athletes who were in the top 4-5 in the world for a range of disciplines, that isn't the case in many many events now. Really, the only established world beaters we have are Mr Mobot, Jessica Ennis-Hill and the Ginger Flier, and we are unlikely to see them again in 4 years.
  • Options
    Much faster if you row forwards, isn't it?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

Yes. Thisi is true. We have had an amazing Olympics which would gratify 99% of nations on God's Green Earth. We will surely come 3rd in medals and might even nick 2nd, a fantastic result for a small if punchy island nation.

But we mustn't stop here. More, more. And that means examining areas where we fucked up: Track and Field.
    Swimming,boxing and team sports for more improvement.
This discussion has been closed.